October 9, 2002: Memorials


Oscar died May 2, 2002, of liver cancer. He was 91.

Oscar was an artist and a professor, emeritus, of the faculty of the U. of the Arts. He was a graduate of the Friends School in Germantown and earned a degree in modern languages and literature at Princeton. He then studied painting at the U. of the Arts, from which he earned a diploma in 1937. As a professor there, Oscar helped create a visual arts program that provided freshmen with a foundation of the basics of sculpture, drawing, painting, and graphic design. Since its development 37 years ago, this program has become a model for teaching visual arts. His teaching was interrupted by the war. As a conscientious objector, he worked for two years in a psychiatric hospital. Oscar was a lifelong member of the Unitarian Church in Germantown. He spent summers in Maine, and enjoyed hiking, gardening, and camping trips. Oscar is survived by his wife of 60 years, Martha Forster Mertz, sons Oscar III and Robert, daughters Martha Shafer and Anita Holmes, and four grandchildren. We will miss Oscar at our gatherings.

The Class of 1933

Henry Piper McNulty ’36

Henry died Dec. 11, 2001, in London; he was 88. A son of Henry A. McNulty 1895, Henry was born in Soochow, China. He prepared at Kent School, and at Princeton majored in English and was a member of Colonial Club. He was a “man of the world” — public relations expert, journalist, author, food and beverage authority, and skilled traveler.

During WWII, he served as a United Press correspondent covering Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. In 1945 he joined Newsweek in Paris, as European editors’ manager. In 1949 he joined the Government Information Service in Brussels. For six years, beginning in 1953, he promoted the French champagne and cognac industries, followed by two years as director of public relations for Radio Free Europe. He next served as president of European operations for Carl Byoir and Associates in London. From 1969, Henry was a frequent contributor to several magazines. He was a devoted Princetonian: a past president of the Princeton Club of London and member of its schools committee.

Henry is survived by Claire and Malcolm, his children of a previous marriage; Bettina, his wife of 45 years; their daughter, Claudia; and grandchildren, Christopher, Matthew, and Trilby.

The Class of 1936

D. Haven Scott ’36

Haven died Feb. 15, 2002, in Citra, Fla.; he was 88. He prepared at the Haverford School. At Princeton he majored in philosophy, was in the band, and was a member of Court Club.

He first worked for Breyers Ice Cream Co. as secretary and treasurer. He next held executive positions at Piesecki Helicopter Corp., All American Aviation Co., and finally, R.H. Donnelly Co. He and his wife, Ann, retired to Florida. During WWII, he was a member of the War Manpower Commission.

For our Fifty Yearbook, Haven and the late Sid Silleck ’36 coordinated a “Football Folio” from their extensive collection of newspaper articles featuring the ’36 football stars who, over their four years, lost only one game and received national recognition.

Haven was a devoted fan of the Big Band era before and after WWII. He offered several interested classmates tapes of his favorite band renditions, which he also played for invalids at nursing homes.

He is survived by his wife, Ann; sons Haven Jr. and Curtis; daughters Patsy Herricks and Lauren Scott; and brothers Wilbur ’37 *43 and Laurence.

The Class of 1936

Robert George Adamson ’37 *38

Bob died Sept. 24, 2001, from complications of diabetes, at home in Haverford, Pa. He prepared at Germantown HS and graduated magna cum laude in electrical engineering; he also earned his master’s at Princeton.

His career was impressive: working with the Navy as a physicist on magnetic mine detectors; with Drs. Smythe and Urey on the Manhattan Project; with Philco Corp. as manager on airborne radar and missile guidance systems. He continued other work on guided bomb systems and research even after he retired in 1979. Years later, in a moving ceremony, he received the Tau Beta Pi award at Princeton.

Bob played tennis in college and continued to play until shortly before his death. He was very active as president of Highland Lakes Civic Assn. in Florida, where he lived after he retired.

We extend our heartfelt sympathy to his widow, Sarah, sons William and Robert, daughter Wendy A. Peters, and three grandchildren. Sarah’s sons accompanied her to the Service of Remembrance in February, which she found beautiful and comforting.

The class suffered a great loss in the death of this gifted engineer and scientist.

The Class of 1937


Al died of pneumonia on Jan. 1, 2002, at Greenwich Hospital; he was 84.

Al came to us from Cliffside Park [N.J.] HS. He majored in architecture and graduated with honors. He earned his law degree from Fordham Law School and began his career with an investment counsel firm. During WWII, he was a flight instructor, including teaching a class of aviation cadets from the French air force.

For 14 years he was employed by Federated Department Stores, becoming financial vice president. He next worked for the foodservice organization Servomation as chairman and CEO, retiring in 1982. Al also served as chair of the National Automatic Merchandising Assn. He was a director of the Greenwich Historical Society and on the board of the Indian Harbor Yacht Club.

Al is survived by his widow, Nancy, sons Steven and Thomas, daughters Lee and Marilyn, as well as his son Philip with former wife Marilyn. Our sympathies to all.

In our 50th reunion yearbook, Al listed his hobby as “surviving.” His wit will be missed.

The Class of 1937


Jim died Feb. 15, 2002, in Robbinsdale, Minn. He came to us from Montclair [N.J.] HS and majored in French. Following graduation, he took an MA in history from Montclair State College in 1946. He worked for GMAC and taught school until entering the USNR. James served in the Pacific theater and Japan as an electronics maintenance technician. Following discharge, he taught at Culver Military Academy until 1952. That year he joined the CIA, serving in the US, Lebanon, Thailand, and Laos. After retiring in 1975, he moved to Aitken, Minn., where he recruited for the agency in the upper Midwest until 1992. He developed a strong interest in the “eternal verities” and had countless sessions trying to persuade the region’s reactionary right of the wisdom of the liberal Eastern establishment.

He married Elaine M. Finke in 1940, and enjoyed 61-plus marvelous years with her; his family grew to number five children, 11 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren.

He received awards for service from the US government and Thailand, and he wished memorial contributions to go to the Heifer Project, which he introduced to Aitken. We offer our sincere sympathies to his wife, Elaine, son James, and daughters Elizabeth Gray, Pamela Pickard, and Stephanie Gray.

The Class of 1937


Geoffrey Stengel died at his home in Gladwyne, Pa., on Jan. 17, 2002, from complications from Alzheimer’s. Geoff came to Princeton from Penn Charter School and majored in biology. He received a law degree from Penn in 1940, and served as clerk of common pleas in Philadelphia.

At the outbreak of WWII, he joined the Navy, first serving in naval intelligence and then for four years aboard the aircraft carrier USS Tulagi in the Mediterranean, South Pacific, and China Sea. After his discharge as a lieutenant commander, he practiced law and then joined the Insurance Co. of North America, eventually serving as secretary and treasurer. In 1977, Geoff made a career change to become executive vice president of the Church Foundation of the Episcopal Diocese of Philadelphia; he retired in 1986.

Geoff served the class in many capacities: AG, treasurer, and culminating as president from 1992-97. His survivors include his beloved helpmate of almost 60 years, Louise, sons Geoffrey Jr. ’65 and William ’70, daughters Ellanor Fink and Louise Barton, 10 grandchildren, including Geoffrey Stengel III ’90, and two great-grandsons.

The class mourns his death and will always be grateful for his cheerful loyalty.

The Class of 1937

Bernard Streeper Sayre ’39

Bernie died Feb. 18, 2002, of complications from Parkinson’s. He had been living in Cumberland Island, Fla., since moving back to this country from Wiltshire, England, where he lived during his 36 years as a pilot with Pan Am. There, he had the fun of entertaining classmates during our postreunion trip to England in 1974. His years with Pan Am entitled him to free travel during retirement, enabling him to keep up with favorite friends in favorite places — Antigua’s Mill Reef Club and Vero Beach among them.

Bernie and Olive Boehm were married in 1941 and had three children, Constance, David, and Christine. Olive died in 1959, and Bernie later married Claire Bouchet de Fareins of Paris, with whom he had two children, Delphine and Stephan. His main satisfaction in life was watching his five children develop and mature. By the time of our 40th, Bernie was married to Julia Parminter, whom he lost in 1996. In our 50th book, he concluded by saying, “I would like to see a wee bit of the 21st century and all that it inevitably will bring.” He made it.

The Class of 1939


Most merit an obituary in the local paper; only a few are recognized with lengthy tributes coast-to-coast. Liv belonged to the second group. His daughter, Cordelia, said he had heart problems and had been in failing health prior to his death on May 3, 2002.

Liv prepared at Montgomery School in Chester Springs, Pa., and St. George’s; at Princeton he majored with honors in English and French; he was a member of the tennis team and Colonial Club.

After graduation, he was a reporter for the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin, until WWII took him to Africa, where he was an ambulance driver. Postwar, Liv wrote four novels, two of which were bestsellers. In the early 1960s, he found a second career in DC as legislative assistant to classmate Senator Clay Pell. But what subsequently brought national recognition was his work drafting precedent-setting legislation establishing a National Arts and Humanities Foundation. President Carter appointed him chairman of the Endowment for the Arts. As Liv was to say in 1985, “The arts are so fragile, like flowers in your garden. If you do not water them, they’ll wither and blow away.”

Survivors include his wife, Catherina Bart, daughter Cordelia, son Livingston IV, and five grandchildren. To them all, his classmates offer their sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940


Harry died of pulmonary fibrosis Apr. 30, 2002, at his home in DC. His was a full life, devoted to his family, Princeton, public service, and several business enterprises.

He prepared at St. Albans School, where he won the Satterlee Prize for scholarship. At Princeton he majored with honors in modern languages. His activities included fencing, editorial editor of the Daily Princetonian, and member of Quadrangle Club.

During WWII, Harry served in the Navy, including an assignment with the OSS in Morocco (he helped smuggle radio transmitters to prepare for the Allied invasion of North Africa).

He started his career as manager of operations for WMAL-TV in DC. He moved on to banking, serving as president of Germantown Bank; chairman of Maryland State Trust and Suburban Trust; president of Cedar Hill Corp.; and as a director of other business boards.

Harry was AG chair and director of his area Princeton Club. He was a member of the Montgomery County selective service board and the Decatur House Council of the Natural Trust for Historic Preservation; he was past president of the City Tavern Club and a member of the Metropolitan and Chevy Chase clubs.

To his son, John, his classmates express their deep sympathy.

The Class of 1940

Gustavus Ober III ’40

Gus, a resident of Rye Brook, N.Y., died Apr. 18, 2002, and was interred in his native Baltimore.

He prepared at St. Paul’s School, graduating cum laude. At Princeton he majored in English, graduating with honors. He was a member of the Whig-Clio debate panel, the publicity department. of Triangle Club, the St. Paul’s Society, the student food distribution agency, and Colonial Club. He roomed with Claiborne Pell all four years.

His business firm of Ober, Onet and Associates was located in NYC, within walking distance of his apartment.

To his sister, Claire O. Morgan, and to his nieces and nephews, the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1940

John Greenleaf Owen ’40

Mush died Feb. 7, 2002, at his home in Phoenix, Ariz.; he was 82. He was born in Eau Claire, Wis., and attended the Hotchkiss School. At Princeton he majored in psychology, played freshman hockey, and was a member of the Orange Key, the Manager’s Club, the Undergraduate Council, the Triangle Club, and Cottage Club. Mush roomed with Reese all four years; the last two with Cerf, Dickey, B. Jones, Neumann, and Hazelhurst.

He served as a captain in the Army Air Corps during WWII. In 1950 he moved to Phoenix and started a successful 35-year career as an account executive with Merrill Lynch; he retired as partner in 1985. After retiring, he was a volunteer arbitrator in the National Assn. of Securities Dealers Arbitration Program. Over the last 10 years of his life, Mush faced a series of medical crises with unflagging stoicism and grace, always thinking of his family first.

His classmates extend their most sincere condolences to his wife of 57 years, Hope; his children, Tim, Debbie, and John Jr.; and grandchildren, Daniel and Jamie.

The Class of 1940

Charles Weston Averill ’41

Wes died Christmas Eve, 2001, after an illness of several months. A lifelong resident of Barre, Vt., he graduated from Spaulding HS. At Princeton he majored in English and graduated with honors. Wes was in the band and joined Dial Lodge. His roommates were Marshall Howard and Bill Boyce.

He was commissioned on July 29, 1943 (and married his wife, Geraldine, three days later!). Going overseas, he served in the Rhineland and Central European campaigns as battalion adjutant in the 1270th Combat Engineers. Wes was discharged as a first lieutenant in Feb. 1946.

Returning home, he first ran the family business, Averill’s Store, in downtown Barre. Wes sold the business in 1960 and joined the National Life Insurance Co. in Montpelier, retiring in 1984 as assistant personnel director.

A lifetime member of the Barre Congregational Church, he served as its superintendent of the Sunday School and deacon. A past president of the Barre Rotary Club, a trustee of both the Aldrich and Barre Public Libraries, Wes was always active in community affairs.

He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Geraldine Bixby, son Charles III, daughters Ann Broad, Sharon Crafts, and Arlene Averill, and six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1941

Stuart Adams Young Jr. ’41

Stu died Apr. 19, 2002, after a long illness. He prepared at Newark Academy and St. Paul’s School. At Princeton, he majored in English with honors. Stu played freshman squash, was associate manager of the football team, joined Colonial, and roomed with Ollie Vietor all four years.

He joined the Army as a private in Dec. 1941, and received a direct commission in Jan. 1945. Serving first in Iceland, he was then assigned to the Fifth Infantry Division and was in Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland, and in Central European campaigns, before being discharged in Oct. 1945.

After graduating from Yale Law School in 1947, Stu joined the firm McCarter & English in Newark, N.J. In 1955 he struck out on his own and ultimately retired as senior partner of Young, Rose & Millspaugh P.C. of Roseland and Rumson, N.J.

A resident of Rumson for more than 50 years, Stu was active in community affairs, serving on the boards of Rumson Country Day School, the Mary Owen Boarden Trust, and the Monmouth Park charity fund. Always involved in ’41 affairs, Stu served as treasurer and then vice president of our class.

He is survived by his wife of over 52 years, Elizabeth (June) Ilsley Young; three sons, Stuart III, Robert, and Ridgeway; as well as five grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Mac died at home, in Port Townsend, Wash., on Jan. 5, 2002. He retired in 1980, after many years of working for Los Angeles County, and moved his family to Port Townsend.

Mac joined the class from Choate but dropped out in 1942 to join the armed forces, serving with the Army in Europe until 1946. He finished his education at Georgetown after the war. He worked and lived in NYC until the early 1960s, after which he moved to LA. He loved the theater, and after retiring was actively involved with the Key City Players. He also provided calligraphy for the local school district for awards and certificates.

It was said that he will be remembered as a fiercely intelligent family man with a particular love of knowledge and language. He had a store of memorized poetry and songs that he could call forth as appropriate.

He is survived by his wife, Jane; his children, Andy and Julia; and by one granddaughter, to all of whom the class offers its most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942


Guzz died Mar. 26, 2002, in Charlottesville, Va., after a brief illness. A talented writer, he spent most of his career with Time and Fortune magazines in Europe and NYC. In retirement, he divided his time between Manhattan, Shelter Island, and Charlottesville.

Guzz came to Princeton from Lawrenceville School, majored in the humanities, and graduated with honors. He was a member of Elm Club. His WWII service in Army military intelligence included Chinese language studies at the U. of Chicago and a year in the horse cavalry at Ft. Riley, Kan.

Following the war, Guzz served in the State Dept. in the Far East. In 1953, he joined Time Inc. as foreign correspondent and became Time-Life bureau chief in Rome, later returning to NYC as senior writer and assistant editor of Fortune magazine. After he retired, he was visiting professor of journalism at Princeton and Yale, and the author of several books, one of which he was completing at the time of his death. A loyal Princetonian, he was working with the 60th reunion committee.

To his wife, Anne, and to his children, Peter, Richard, and Anne, the class offers its profound sympathy.

The Class of 1942


Fred died Mar. 31, 2002, at home in Essex, Conn. An independent businessman, he was the owner of an electronics firm in Canaan, Conn. One of the few undergraduates who married before graduation, he and Betty were married 60 years at the time of his death.

After preparing at Andover Academy, Fred was very active on campus and left senior year to join the armed forces. After serving three-and-a-half years as a captain in Army ordinance in Europe, he returned to graduate. Following several years in the textile business with a division of J.P. Stevens, he acquired Bircon Electronics Co., in which he remained active as president until he and Betty entered the retirement community Essex Meadows several years ago. He was active in many pro bono organizations and was a trustee of Outward Bound from 1972-76.

Fred is survived by his wife, Betty; his children, Fred III, Nancy, and Peter; and by six grandchildren, to all of whom the class offers its most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942


Don died Mar. 27, 2002, in Bedford, N.Y., after a long illness. A retired lawyer, he lived and practiced in the NYC area his entire career.

Coming to Princeton from Holderness School, Don majored with honors in psychology and was a member of Tower Club. He spent three-and-a-half years in the Marine Air Corps during WWII, flying Curtiss Commandos in the Pacific theater, with the rank of captain. After the war, he received his law degree from Harvard Law School in 1948, and practiced with Sullivan & Cromwell until he joined Alexander & Green, which subsequently became Walter, Conston, Alexander & Green, where he stayed until he retired. In addition to serving as secretary and director of the Multiple Sclerosis Society, he was an avid sailor, summering in Stonington, Conn., and was a member of the NY Yacht Club. He served on the board of directors of Northern Westchester Hospital, was its president from 1977-82, and was founding member of the Bedford Assn.

To his wife, Priscilla; to his children, Melissa, Polly, Lucia, and Donald; and to his six grandchildren, the class extends its deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1942

Robert W. Boynton ’43

Bob died at his home in Lakeville, Conn., on Feb. 3, 2002. He was 80.

After receiving his BA in English, he received an MEd from Harvard, and completed his PhD coursework at Columbia.

Bob began his teaching career at Lawrenceville School; he subsequently taught at Newark Academy and later at Germantown Friends Academy, until 1970. An outgrowth of his teaching experience was Bob’s writing and editing of professional books for secondary schools and college faculties, and the founding of a publishing venture, Boynton/Cook.

A personal achievement of which Bob was most proud came with the thanks from Princeton for having been a continuous donor for 50 years.

Bob is survived by his wife, Jeanne; four daughters, Judith, Pamela, Sandra, and Laura; and eight grandchildren. To the entire family, we extend our most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943


John died on Mar. 15, 2002, in Mendham, N.J. He came to Princeton from Riverdale School and majored in politics, winning honors. Active as a crew manager, he was a member of Cloister Inn; he roomed with John Ballin and Steve Lamb.

After service in the Army, he went to Penn Law School, where he was editor-in-chief of its law review. After a stint at Sullivan & Cromwell in NYC, he formed a firm in Madison, N.J., and served as municipal counsel to Chatham, Chester, and Mendham.

His wife, Joan, survives him, as do his three daughters, three stepchildren, one grandchild, and seven step-grandchildren. We extend condolences to them all.

The Class of 1944

Samuel H. Kauffmann III ’46

Sam died Apr. 4, 2002, in Palm Springs, Calif., of cancer. He grew up in Washington, DC, where his father owned the Washington Evening Star. He attended St. Albans School, then Choate, and entered Princeton in the summer of 1942. After Army service in Europe from 1943-46, he earned his degree at Stanford.

He founded a property development company, Brown & Kauffmann, in Palo Alto, and was most successful in building mass housing in northern California. He retired to Palm Springs with his sixth wife, Marilyn, and enjoyed golf, model boats, and planes.

He is survived by Marilyn; six children, Eric, Ingrid, Coco, Dana, Lee, and Wayne; and seven grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1946


Alan died of bone cancer Aug. 14, 2001, at home in Falls Village, Conn. He was born Mar. 18, 1928, and came to Princeton from St. James School. He rowed on the 150-lb. crew, roomed with Dick Carrigan ’50 and Jim Robertson ’50 freshman year, and then with Dan Anderson and James Beuchner ’50. A history major, he graduated cum laude and was a member of Cap and Gown.

Alan was in the foreign service for 10 years, serving in New Delhi, Calcutta, Naples, Tel Aviv, Saigon, Hue, and DC. For the next 15 years he was involved with the JDR III Fund Asian cultural exchanges, during which time he became interested in East Indian batik designs.

With the encouragement of his mentor, Sister Parish of the fabled NYC decorator firm of Parish-Hadley, he established his own company, Alan Campbell Inc., specializing in textiles and wallpaper.

He was active in Trinity Church, Lakeville, and was a former president of the American Friends of the Attringham Society.

Alan is survived by his sisters, Marion Strong and Jessie Sibert, five nephews, and a niece.

The Class of 1951


Dave died Nov. 30, 2001, in NYC, from complications related to open-heart surgery. He was born in Shanghai, the son of Chang Hsin Hal, a diplomat and university professor. Dave came to us from Hotchkiss; he was in Colonial and was on the 150-lb. crew. He majored in architecture and received both AB and MFA degrees from Princeton.

In 1955 he married the former Lorna Mickle. Dave was an architect, a former Raymond Loewy associate and Nike executive, a flyfisherman, and a painter of glorious watercolors. Over the years, the Changs lived in NYC, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Long Island, and Portland, Ore. In 1992 they retired to East Barnard, Vt. Dave had a quadruple bypass seven years ago, and after attending our 50th reunion with Lorna, he went in for correction of a heart valve problem, which was when we lost him. He is survived by Lorna; their four children, Pamela, Christopher, David ’84, and Jennifer; four grandchildren; and his sister, Yi An (Rosita) Chou. A memorial service was held in East Barnard on May 25.

The Class of 1951


Larry died Feb. 28, 2002, in Palo Alto, Calif., of prostate cancer. He came to Princeton from Jamaica HS, on Long Island, and was a physics major. He roomed with Bill Bennett, Howard Cohen, Clark Dowling, David Feldstein, and Hank Myers. After graduation, he became a junior research physicist at Baird Associates.

Following military service, he went on to Harvard for an MA, and later, a PhD in astronomy. He pioneered many novel Fourier spectroscopy techniques and cofounded Block Associates. His work ultimately blossomed into a thriving market. He later joined the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, and in 1973, spent a sabbatical at the Meudon Observatory near Paris. In 1978, he joined the Lockheed Research Laboratory in Palo Alto, before retiring to start a new company, Digiphase. His publications include “Transformations in Optics” and “Excursions in Astronomical Optics.”

Larry married the former Françoise Dorel, who survives him, together with his sons, Jerome ’84 and Pierre *96, and his brothers, Harvey and Robert. He was predeceased by a third son, Thomas. The class salutes the passing of a gifted scientist.

The Class of 1951


Norb, a native of Heidelberg, Germany — and naturally a most valued member of the Princeton German Club — died Mar. 1, 2002.

Entering from Toms River HS in N.J., he prepared for a career in medicine by majoring in biology and belonging to the Pre-Medical Society. He took his meals at Campus Club and roomed with Peter Ashurkoff, Joe Fromm, Nick Gal Builbert, and Paul Hertelendy. He served three years in the Navy and received his MD from Columbia. He migrated to Arizona, where he rose to become chief surgeon with Kennecott Copper Corp. His first marriage ended in divorce, and in 1964 he remarried and had three children — Kelly Susan, Norbert Jr., and Meredith Ann, who survive him along with his present wife, Iva Nell.

Paul Hertelendy remembers Norb as self-reliant and a hard worker at odd jobs, including one as a forest firefighter. Paul was impressed with Norb’s entrepreneurial abilities and said he was a true gentleman and a credit to Princeton.

The Class of 1953

William Landon Banfield III ’54

Lan, a urologist, died of cancer Apr. 10, 2002. He was born in Bethesda, Md., and attended the Landon School. At Princeton he majored in biology, was a member of Cannon Club, the Pre-Medical Society, and the Campus Fund Drive. He graduated from George Washington U. Medical School and served as flight surgeon for the Air Force in the Netherlands. He maintained a lifelong fondness for aviation. On his return, he completed his training in urology and was appointed to the medical school faculty at George Washington. He became chairman of urology for Sibley Memorial Hospital and was named its Physician of the Year in 2001. His charitable activities included work for the Landon School, whose board he joined in 1976. The school has established an award in his name to recognize his outstanding service. He is survived by his wife of 40 years, Cicely Anderson Banfield, a daughter, two sons, and four grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to them in their loss.

The Class of 1954

ELWIN R. Brown Jr. ’57

Elwin died recently after an illness. At Princeton he completed his freshman year, then transferred to Union College, where he obtained a degree in economics.

Elwin entered the securities industry with F.I. DuPont Co. as an account executive. Subsequently, he was affiliated as a broker with E.F. Hutton in Elmira, N.Y. He was retired at the time of his death.

The class extends its condolences to his children, Linda, Rob, and Alexander, and to his wife, Marian, of Spring Hill, Fla.

The Class of 1957

Warren B. Davis ’58

Warren died of Parkinson’s at home on Jan. 28, 2001. Warren came to Princeton from Culver Military Academy. He majored in electrical engineering and was a member of Quadrangle Club and the swim team. After serving out his ROTC obligation in the Army, he went to work for Bankers Trust Co., where he caught the wave of information technology, and rose to become director of systems programming, standards, and training. Warren became an avid skier and served as president of the Haystack Mountain Ski Education Foundation, which supports junior ski racing in southern Vermont.

In the late 1980s, while working at Chase Manhattan Bank, he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, which led to his early retirement, giving him an opportunity to pursue his interests in history and genealogy and to spend more time with his family.

A rare complication of Parkinson’s affecting the autonomic nervous system resulted in a stroke, which left him confined to a wheelchair, requiring constant care for the last several months. He nonetheless maintained his spirit, his interest in the world, and, most remarkably, his sense of humor.

Warren is survived by his wife, Sigrid; their daughters, Kimberly and Meredith; and son Gregory ’00, to all of whom the class extends its heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1958

C. Thornton Murphy ’59

Thornton Murphy died Oct. 12, 2001, of injuries sustained in a fall at his home in Batavia, Ill.

Thornton grew up in Oberlin, Ohio, and prepared for Princeton at Western Reserve Academy. At Princeton he played soccer, was vice president of the chapel choir, a keyceptor, and joined Cloister Inn. He earned a master’s and a doctorate in high-energy physics at the U. of Wisconsin in 1963, and taught physics at the U. of Michigan and at Carnegie Mellon U. before moving to Fermilab, the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, in 1973. There he coordinated the installation of the superconducting accelerator, Tevatron, and one of Fermilab’s two major colliding beam experiments. He also worked with the CERN Laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland, and Frascati, Italy.

Beyond the rigors of particle physics, Thornton lived a liberal-arts life, rich with travel, languages, the arts, and, especially, music. From the Princeton Glee Club, he progressed to become a semiprofessional singer of early music. Only days before his death, on the centennial of Enrico Fermi’s birth, he led the Fermilab Singers in “Happy Birthday” in Italian.

The class extends its sympathy to Barbara, his wife of 43 years, and to his children, Elizabeth, Charles, Michael, and Stephen.

The Class of 1959


The class has learned from the Social Security Death Register that John died in 1999. Nothing else is known about his passing, nor—for that matter—is much known about his life after Princeton. While John has been carried on our rolls for many years, he appears also for a time to have been listed as a member of the Class of ’60. At our 25th reunion, he was known to be living in Exton, Pa., but beyond that, all is a mystery. Nonetheless, we mourn the passing of a classmate and wish only that we and Princeton had been more a part of his life.

The Class of 1961

William Walter Young ’61

Bill Young died on June 15, 2001, in Pescadero, Calif. Born in 1939, in Carbondale, Pa., Bill came to Princeton from Honesdale HS, where he was valedictorian. At Princeton he majored in history, ate at Dial Lodge, andwas a member of the Orange Key and Senior IAA board. After college Bill served in the US Army Special Forces in the Philippines, and then attended law school at NYU, before launching a career in advertising and marketing. After operating his own agency, RBI Communications, for nine years, he began commuting to California from his Pennsylvania home. At his death Bill was vice president, marketing, for PurpleTie.com.

Among Bill’s other involvements were the American Institute of Wine and Food, of which he was charter founder and chair, and the Wayne County Community Foundation, of which he was a founder.

He is survived by his wife of 10 years, Janeen, his mother, three sons, and a twin sister. Their loss is ours as well.

The Class of 1961

A. William Haarlow III ‘63

We lost one of our beloved classmates when Bill died of ALS on Jan. 30, 2002. Bill excelled at everything he tried — school, athletics, business, caring for his family — and he did it all with an infectious laugh and an endless supply of yarns to spin.

Bill came east from Hinsdale, Ill., as the first of three Haarlow brothers to play basketball for Princeton. A member of Cannon Club, he was known among close friends as The Blade for his quick wit, broad shoulders, and slashing play at forward. He was vital to reaching the NCAA tournament.

After college he earned a master’s in business at the U. of Chicago and then joined Quaker Oats Co., where he worked for 19 years, becoming president of the chemicals division. In 1984 he and partners bought QO Chemicals from Quaker. He ran it until 1987, when he embarked on a joyous retirement of community service in Hinsdale, golf, travel, and a home in Naples, Fla. A particular delight was his new grandson, Bill V.

Our thoughts are with his wife, Lynne, sons Bill ’89 and Blair ’91, parents Midge and Bill, sister Meg, and brothers Bob ’66 John Bob ’68.

The Class of 1963


John died Nov. 24, 2001, in Fort Myers, Fla., following a series of illnesses.

John came to Princeton from the Park School in Indianapolis, where he played football, basketball, and baseball. John was injured his freshman year at Princeton and graduated with the Class of 1970.

At Princeton, John majored in English and was a member of Cottage Club. Following graduation, John attended graduate school at the U. of Toronto, where he became ill. Although John was not able to participate in Princeton activities over the years, he was a proud and loyal member of our class.

John never married. He is survived by his father, Jack, and two brothers, Coleman ’65 and James Titus. The class extends its sympathy to John’s family and friends.

The Class of 1969


Chuck, a nonsmoker, died of lung cancer at home in Calgary, Alberta, on Apr. 19, 2002.

Chuck came to Princeton from Lake Forest Academy, in Illinois. A commons waiter, he played 150-lb. football, was a member of the Karate Club, majored in politics/American civilization, and was in the Chapel Choir. Chuck was orphaned in our freshman year and lost his only sibling the following year.

He earned an MD from the U. of Illinois in Chicago. His postgraduate medical education and practice occurred in Canada, with cardiac training at the Cleveland Clinic and Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. He was a cardiac anesthesiologist the last 14 years in Calgary, near his beloved Canadian Rockies. Chuck said that his personality blossomed while married to Odile Grenier for the past 10 years. Before his death, Chuck said, “As the ancient Chinese saying goes, ‘The minute you are born, you begin to die.’ More adventures ahead.”

Chuck is survived by Odile, and by family in Chicago, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia. We mourn his passing.

The Class of 1969

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary