December 18, 2002: Memorials

Royal W. Drews ’27

Royal died in Maine on Mar. 21, 1997. He was born in Passaic, N.J., and prepared at Passaic HS. He left Princeton after his sophomore year to attend Columbia Dental School, and subsequently practiced orthodonture in New Jersey. He married Daisy MacDonald in 1938, and they had four children: Clara, Ellen, Royal, and Sherry, to whom the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1927


Henry D. Mirick ’27

Henry died of heart failure on Apr. 12, 2002. Born in DC, he prepared at Western HS. At Princeton he was on the track team and was a member of Quadrangle Club. After obtaining advanced degrees in architecture, he went on to a distinguished and productive career, winning the Rome Prize; undertaking the reconstruction of Hadrian’s villa; and in Philadelphia, his work included the Museum of the Barnes Foundation and the Poplar St. Housing Project. He was active in numerous civic activities, including serving on the boards of the Philadelphia Zoo, the Pennsylvania Environmental Council, the Academy of Natural Sciences, the Historical Review, Conservation Project Inc., and as president of the Philadelphia Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. He was a vestryman at Church of the Redeemer in Bryn Mawr. Among his broad interests were horticulture, travel, conservation, wildlife, trout fishing, painting in watercolor, and photography. During WWII, he served in the Army and won the Commendation Medal, supervising construction projects and preparing postwar plans.

The class extends its condolences to his wife of 69 years, Marion, his four children, Henry ’60, Heath, Marion, and Richard, and his numerous grandchildren.

The Class of 1927


John Smith Reese IV ’27

John died peacefully on June 26, 2002, in Wilmington, Del., where he was born. He prepared at Wilmington Friends. At Princeton he played soccer and majored in chemistry. He went on to study chemistry in Vienna, and then obtained a PhD at Johns Hopkins. After further study in England and at MIT, he worked at DuPont as a research chemist until he retired in Apr. 1962.

He was a devoted member of Trinity Episcopal Church, where he served both as junior and senior warden. A member of the Society of Colonial Wars, he was interested in history, especially that of Old Swedes Church and the Civil War. John enjoyed skiing, fly fishing, tennis, squash, golf, bridge, opera, classical music, and the arts.

John is survived by his wife of 62 years, Mary Ann Ranken, daughter Harriet Jensen, three grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, and a step-great-grandchild, to whom the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1927


Harold C. Riggs ’27

Pete died on Aug. 25, 1998. He was born in Hightstown, N.J., and prepared at Peddie School. At Princeton he was a member of Gateway Club. Pete had a distinguished career as an electrical engineer, with a special talent in the design of storage batteries, for which he held several patents. During WWII he was in charge of special battery projects, including the design and development of a radically new battery for jet engines. He received a Navy Ordnance Award and a commendation from Admiral Halsey for his electrical work. Later he was involved in the engineering of batteries for guided missiles. He was active in Masons and the Scottish Rite, and he served on the Langhorne Manor School Board. His hobbies were amateur radio and cabinet making.

Pete married Ella Macklin in 1928, and they had three children, Charlotte, Sally Ann, and Harold. Ella died some time ago. The class extends its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1927



Elliott died July 26, 2002, at his home in Houston. He prepared for Princeton at the Hill School. At Princeton he was a member of Elm Club. After graduation, he joined the firm of Houston, Stevenson and Cummings in the general insurance business, representing the Hartford Insurance Co. He retired as a partner of his company. He belonged to the Insurance Exchange of Houston and the National Accident and Health Assn. He married Marion Jacob in 1931, and they had two daughters. His wife predeceased him, but he is survived by his daughters, Chaille Kelly and Catherine Bruns, three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. He was a top-notch golfer and bowler. He was devoted to Princeton and his friends there. To all of his surviving family, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1929


Henry W. Cook Jr. ’32

“Doc” died on May 25, 2002, after a short illness. His wife predeceased him.

Doc prepared at the Blake School in Minneapolis. He roomed freshman and sophomore years with Tom Cook and Ed Caulkins in 41 Campbell, and with Fred Reynolds and Jack Potts junior and senior years at 33 Campbell. He was on the hockey team all four years and was in Ivy Club.

He spent his business life in the home offices of insurance companies, in later years as the underwriting officer. He leaves four children, Henry III, Andrew, Mary Louise Cook Morris, and Isabel Cook Pratt; a brother, Charles Cook ’41; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren, to whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1932


Raymond Elmore Burnes ’33

Ray died July 25, 2002, of pneumonia. He was 91.

Ray was a teacher par excellence. After his graduation from Princeton, he received a master’s degree from Columbia Teachers’ College. Before WWII he served as teacher and headmaster of the Shanghai American School in China. After wartime service he became teacher and headmaster of the New Canaan Country School in Connecticut, from which he retired in 1975. In 1978, Ray moved to DC, where he was active as an adviser to the Neighborhood Commission of Adams Morgan, where he lived. He was a member of the St. Stephen and the Incarnation and St. Margaret’s Episcopal churches. He was involved in the Honduran Exchange Program. He moved to Silver Spring, Md., in the late ’90s.

Richard, Ray’s son, wrote that on the day before he died, Ray and his Princeton son, Donald ’63, were singing Princeton fight songs. Ray’s wife, Elizabeth, died in 1992. He is survived by his sons, Donald and Richard, and two grandsons. We will miss him and his Princeton loyalty.

The Class of 1933


Henry Clay Evans Johnson ’36

Clay died Apr. 24, 2001, at his Lookout Mountain, Tenn., home. He was 89. A graduate of the Hotchkiss School, at Princeton he was a member of Cap and Gown. He left Princeton at the end of his sophomore year.

During WWII he served three years in Europe as a Navy lieutenant commander. Clay spent his business career with Interstate Life and Accident Insurance Co. He joined the company in 1933 and became president in 1946 succeeding his father. Interstate merged with Gulf United Corp. in 1980, and Clay retired in 1984 as a director and chair of the executive committee.

He was president of the Hamilton County Memorial Hospital Assn. from 1946-84, and the cancer center there bears his name.

He was married to Betty Mead Smartt, who died in 1980. Clay is survived by his wife, Gene Beasley Johnson, daughters Barbara Prickett and Elizabeth Patton, son H. Clay Jr., seven grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1936


Earle Newton Cutler ’37

Newt died on Mar. 24, 2002, in Bryn Mawr, Pa. He was 86. He came to Princeton from St. Paul’s, majored in history, was a member of Ivy Club, and was voted handsomest in the class.

Newt wrote that he knew what he wanted to do when he left Princeton and stuck with banking until he retired, with time out during WWII as first lieutenant in the Marine Corps. He spent over 35 years with Citibank in NYC, left as senior vice president to become chairman of Horizon Bancorp in Morristown, N.J., until he retired in 1979. He served ’37 in many capacities, including treasurer.

He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Beverly; two sons, Earle III and Michael; two daughters, Carolyn C. Goodman and Allison C. Fox; 11 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. A memorial service was held in Wayne, Pa., and another in Edgartown, Mass. Contributions in his memory may be made to Vineyard Sailing Foundation. The class sends its sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1937


Blaine Morton Gordon ’37

Blaine died Dec.1, 2001, at his home in Birmingham, Mich. He was 84. He came to Princeton at the age of sixteen from New Rochelle Senior High. At Princeton he majored in economics, won a School of Public Affairs scholarship for summer study in Germany in 1936, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his senior year, and graduated with high honors.

Upon graduation, he worked for David Lawrence at US News & World Report. In 1941, Blaine joined the Army and after OCS was assigned to first quartermaster, Army Supply School at Harvard where he graduated first in his class as lieutenant. He was assigned to Greenville, S.C. Air Base to do contract renegotiations.

He received his doctorate from Indiana U., and taught for a few years. In 1950 he joined the government on the tax advisory staff of the Secretary of the Treasury.

In 1952 he was hired by General Motors in Detroit, as a tax analyst and retired after 25 years. He was active in the Economics Club of Birmingham, served as president of Birmingham Senior Men’s Club, and as a consultant to non profit groups.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Mary Catherine, son Byron, daughter Andrea Gorman, and two grandsons. The class extends its sympathy to the family of this gifted man.

Class of 1937


Samuel B. Scovil ’37

Sam died on Apr. 7, 2002, at the age of 86, at Rose Haven, in Litchfield, Conn. He came to Princeton from Morristown HS and majored in economics. He served during WWII as a lieutenant in the Navy aboard the destroyer escort USS Gendreau in the Pacific theater.

He owned Bernardsville Electric Appliance Store for many years, until he moved to Winchester, Conn. There he was a realtor, founding member of the Park Pond Club, and a volunteer on the fire department, zoning board and board of education.

Sam’s passion was caring for his family properties, including a home in New Harbor, Maine. In his youth he played saxophone and clarinet and led his band,“Sam Scovil and the Seatones.” His fondness for big band music continued throughout his life.

He was predeceased by his wife, Elinor, and is survived by a son, Samuel Jr., three daughters, Barbara LaGanza, Ann Cook, and Susan MacDougall, six grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

As a memorial to his love of rural New England, contributions may be sent to the Winchester Land Trust. Our sincere sympathy to all.

The Class of 1937


Colin Campbell Reid ’38

Colin died on Nov. 24, 2001. At Princeton he majored — brilliantly — in chemistry. He graduated with high honors, won the George A. Howe 1978 Prize in analytical chemistry, and was both Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi. After earning a PhD from Yale, Colin taught for four years at Williams College, and then served 25 years with the CIA.

After he retired he spent 10 years teaching part-time at a local community college. A deacon of his church, he also volunteered tax counseling for the elderly and recording for the blind.

For our 50 Years Later book he described himself as “Very much the same. I still love things scientific, still am a perfectionist, still enjoy humor of all types.”

His wife, Rosina, son Douglas, and daughter Frances Boyne survive, as well as six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy and warm good wishes to the family.

The Class of 1938



George died on Feb. 18, 2001. He came to Princeton from Gilman, majored in history, and won a letter as a member of the varsity wrestling team. At the Penn Law School he was a member of the order of the Coif and book editor of the law review.

A commander in Naval Intelligence during WWII, he served in the Pacific and European theaters from 1941-46. Postwar he was associated with the Dechert, Price & Rhoads law firm for 35 years, most of them as a partner specializing in estate and fiduciary law. He was active, pro bono, in the civil rights area, combating police brutality and, in retirement, volunteering his services to victims of crimes.

George had a fine bass singing voice and over a span of 20 years with the Gilbert & Sullivan Players he sang in all 13 of the pair’s operettas. He and his wife, Eithne, were ardent travelers, making some 51 Elderhostel trips. Closer to home, George and Eithne were frequent walkers along the scenic Wissahickon Creek. Eithne, his son, Thomas, and three grandchildren survive. To all of them the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1938


Walter Lord ’39

Walter died May 19, 2002, at his NYC apartment. Walter may not have invented the genre of narrative historian, but his seminal account of the sinking of the Titanic, A Night To Remember, published in 1955 and never since out of print, gave rise to a whole new school of popular writing of nonfiction that persists to this day.

On graduation from Gilman School, he won the Princeton-Gilman Alumni Cup for the best sixth-form speech of the year, interestingly a speech on the sinking of the Titanic, the topic that later launched his authorial career. From Princeton he went on to Yale Law School, then into war service with the OSS. Deciding against the practice of law, he joined J. Walter Thompson as advertising writer. On the side he did the research and writing that produced A Night to Remember, whose success enabled him to write books full time. In 1994 the Society of American Historians awarded Walter the Francis Parkman Prize in recognition of his lifetime dedication to American history. Walter never married and left no immediate survivors except his many classmates, proud that he was one of us.

The Class of 1939


William Valentine Winslow Jr. ’39

Bill died May 2, 2002, in Sykesville, Md. His wife, Charlotte, wrote that he was an Alzheimer’s patient, still living at home, having poor short-term memory but lots of happy memories of the past. When he developed thyroid cancer, he had an operation from which he could not recover.

Bill had retired from insurance and management as director of the Agency Corporate Home Office for Prudential in 1970. He then became a tennis pro at various clubs in the area. After three hip replacements he had to give up his beloved tennis. But, as he told us in our 50th book, in the next four years he became enough of a golfer to shoot a nine of 39, thus reaching one of his goals. With homes in Millburn, N.J., and Silver Bay on Lake George, N.Y., he was always active in civic affairs. He could not get to our 60th reunion, but at that time he was taken to see grandson Andrew Funderburk ’99 graduate summa cum laude in economics, which he enjoyed immensely. We offer Charlotte, their three daughters, nine grandchildren, and 15 great-grandchildren our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


William Hollenback Jr. ’40

Our former class vice president and Reunion chairman died May 15, 2002. He was a committed Philadelphian, Princetonian, and searcher for the meaning of life.

Bill prepared at Chestnut Hill Academy and Solebury School, majoring in history at Princeton. He was on the crew team and a member of Cap and Gown Club.

His whole life was flavored by nautical interests: Naval service from 1940-46, later as a lieutenant commander in the Naval Reserve; Princeton’s representative in the National Assn. of Amateur Oarsmen; president of the University Barge Club; president of American Rowing; swimmer; snorkeler; boater.

Bill was president of his own firm, W. M. Hollenback Co., a dealer in utility coal. He also chaired the Philadelphia Club and supported the Philadelphia Orchestra.

While Bill did not pretend to be a latter-day Diogenes, he was forthright in discovering “who you have been living with all these years.” As a bachelor most of his life, his reference was to himself in our 40th Year Book. That search led him to marriage in 1986 to the late Maisie Cadwalader, “an enchanting woman — that has transformed my life.”

To his four stepchildren, Catherine Worrall, Ellen Greenleaf, Amanda Manuyama, and Charles Worrall, his classmates extend their sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1940


Robert H. Myers ’40

On May 11, 2002, we lost a loyal Princetonian and Marylander. Bob prepared at St. Albans, and at Princeton he majored in politics and earned departmental honors when he graduated from the Woodrow Wilson School. Bob’s club was Cannon.

His WWII years were spent in the office of Naval Intelligence with assignments in the White House Map Room to cover the North African invasion; in the State Department as a courier in South America; back to the Map Room during the Roosevelt, Truman, and part of the Eisenhower administrations. He attained the rank of lieutenant commander.

Subsequently, Bob studied law at George Washington U. and practiced in his father’s firm of Williams, Myers & Quiggle. This led to his career interest in tax-exempt organizations; he helped start the predecessor of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, eventually serving as chairman and trustee.

Travel, gardening, fly fishing, and bird hunting were his other interests, along with memberships in the Chevy Chase, Oyster Harbors, Oglethorpe, Rolling Rock, and the Princeton Clubs of DC and New York.

To his family: sons Robert Jr. ’69, Eric, and Stephen; daughter Antoinette Collins; brother Richard ’45; cousin James Kreder ’60; and grandson Stuart ’02, Bob’s classmates extend their sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1940


Robert Carey Bartlett ’41

Bob died Jan 19, 2002. A graduate of Exeter, at Princeton he majored in chemical engineering, joined Elm Club, and roomed variously with Bob Eastman, Bill Barr, Jack Beatty, Larry Ackard, and John Sease.

Bob entered the Navy in 1943, as an engineering specialist. He spent the war with the Navy’s Bureau of Ships and was instrumental in launching the program for plastic boat manufacturing (hulls, etc., for PT’s and other combat ships). Bob was separated in Aug. ’45 as lieutenant.

He continued working in plastics for his entire career. He worked for a number of companies but eventually retired as president of Wireonics Products Co., manufacturers of wire and cable. Bob was a member of the Baha’i faith and served as the Baha’i representative to the Interfaith Council.

He is survived by his wife, Torrey Sturgis Medina Bartlett; one son, Edward; one step-son, Thomas Medina; two stepdaughters, Torrey-Yvonne Medina Hurst and Anita Medina Tyson; and 11 grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Leonard Edward Fitzgerald ’42

Fitz died Apr. 19, 2002, in Tempe, Ariz., his home for many years. He retired from two careers, the first in 1967, from the Air Force as a director of electronics engineering and installation, and in 1983 as the Arizona governor’s representative to acquire and administer programs to offset extensive flood damage to local communities.

Fitz came to Princeton from Irving Prep School, majored in psychology, and was a member of Charter Club. During the war he served in the US and England in the Army Signal Corps. After the war he continued his Army career, supervising the laying of underwater cables in the Pacific and under Montana wheat fields, until he retired as a lieutenant colonel. During this tour of duty he received a citation for his deployment planning and participation in the 1958 Lebanon crisis.

His second career, in state government, led to his being awarded the Arizona Distinguished Service Medal. Always a loyal member of the class, Fitz will be missed by his many friends and classmates. To his widow, Dee; to his children, Walker and Louise; and to his grandchildren and great-grandchildren the class extends its most sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1942


Harry William Goas ’42

Harry died Apr. 17, 2002, in Berkeley, N.J. After a distinguished 36-year career with the Montclair Times, he retired in 1984, as editor.

Coming from a long line of Princetonians, Harry attended Blair Academy. Following graduation he worked as a sales engineer for C02 Fire Equipment Co. during the war. At the Times, he first served as a staff reporter, covering town, music, drama, personalities, and sports, before being named assistant editor in 1970 and editor in 1974. A former president of the Optimist Club of Montclair, he was also a member of the Kiwanis Club.

Harry was on the news editorial committee of the New Jersey Press Assn. and was a member of the schools and scholarship committee of the Alumni Assn. of Montclair. He received numerous awards, including one from the New Jersey Press Assn. and the New Jersey Assembly. In retirement, he continued his newspaper career as editor of the Holiday City South newspaper, the Southwind. The Men’s Club named him “Man of the Year” in 1994. He also assisted senior citizens in preparing income tax returns.

To his wife of 50 years, Helen, the class extends its most profound sympathy.

The Class of 1942


Franklin Sale Judson ’42

Jud died of heart failure July 23, 2002, in Greenwich, Conn., where he had lived for the past 25 years. He retired in 1984 as president of Stroheim & Romann, one of the leading distributors of decorative fabrics, founded over 100 years ago by his great-grandfather.

Jud attended Exeter and graduated with high honors. He was a member of Quadrangle Club. After spending four years during the war, with the US field artillery in the Pacific Theater as a first lieutenant, he returned to NYC to join the family firm.

Jud was vice president, emeritus, of the League for the Hard of Hearing, serving for almost 50 years, and received the distinguished service award for 1989 from the New York Resources Council Board of Directors. A loyal and enthusiastic Princetonian, Jud served as class secretary for five years and was always involved in Reunion planning, especially in supplying costumes.

Predeceased by his son, Christopher, Jud is survived by his wife of 46 years, Colette, and three children, Michelle, James, and Jacqueline, to all of whom the class extends its most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942


Ira Benjamin Wheeler ’42

Ira died on Aug. 10, 2002, in NYC. At Princeton, after preparation at Deerfield Academy, he was an honors chemistry major and a member of the Glee Club and Quadrangle. His lacrosse team won the class lacrosse national championship. During WWII, Ira joined the Coast Guard; he was the executive officer of Landing Ship Tank (LST) 585, which participated in the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Ira spent most of his business career with Celanese Corp., where he started in 1960 in marketing. He became assistant to the president and advanced to corporate vice president before retiring in 1982.

His active life after leaving Celanese inspired all who knew him: As a director and consultant of the National Executive Service Corps, he had numerous non profit clients. He was also a director of Literacy Partners. Ira was a highly esteemed member of the Canterbury Choral Society and our class treasurer. Most amazingly, he became an actor with parts in 24 movies including the award-winning Killing Fields and Hannah and Her Sisters.

To his wife, Mary; his surviving children, Timothy and Dorothy Bacon; his grandchildren and stepchildren, the class extends its sincerest condolences for the loss of our remarkable classmate.

The Class of 1942


Roger Alexander ’44 *51

The Class of ’44 lost an outstanding classmate when Botts died on June 8, 2002. Coming from Deerfield he majored in geological engineering, graduating magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa. Far from being a “greasy grind,” he had a host of friends and roommates, a few of whom were Close, Colmore, Holburd, Callery, Chisholm, R. Wilson, Farmer, and Covington; he played varsity lacrosse and junior varsity ice hockey; and was a member of Cap and Gown. He and Buttenheim were together at Ft. Sill; he was in the same division as Soons; and he retired as a captain, earning many awards.

He returned to Princeton for his master’s, teaching at Williams while at work on a Princeton PhD. He was an oil geologist for 35 years and served for many years on the faculty at UC Berkeley. He worked for AG and was for four years class treasurer.

He was devoted to his wife, Mia, their children, Ginny, Lewis, and Nelle ’76, and seven grandchildren. His classmates will miss him.

The Class of 1944


Karl G. Harr Jr. ’44

Karl died Mar. 5, 2002, after a life of distinguished service to Princeton. He came from Columbia High and involved himself in every aspect of college life: he played on the varsity football team, worked with Orange Key, served as vice-president of Cottage Club, and was chair of the undergraduate council. He majored in politics; his roommates included B. Hallett and R. Semmes. For seven years he was president of our class.

In 1943, Karl was commissioned in the field artillery, discharged as captain. He graduated from Yale Law School in 1948, and then went on to a PhD at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship. He was with the New York law firm of Sullivan & Cromwell.

He married Patricia in 1947. Karl became a trade association executive in DC, residing in Chevy Chase at the time of his death. He was active with Freedom House and Experiment in International Living; he served as an alumni trustee of Princeton for two terms.

To his wife and family —sons Timothy ’72 and Karl III, daughters Catherine Anne ’78 and Amy, and his grandchildren — his classmates express their most sincere regrets.

The Class of 1944


Collier Havens ’44

Col Havens died in Bryn Mawr, Pa., on July 19, 2002, after a long illness. He came to Princeton from Haverford School and majored in politics; he roomed with Vauclain and Soons, was active on the Princeton Tiger, and was a member of Cloister Inn.

He served 22 months in the Pacific during WWII, and a year in North Africa during the Korean conflict, returning to the university to graduate in 1947, the year he married Joan. They made their home in the Philadelphia area, most recently in Newtown Square. He worked for various firms as a manager, including Fine Arts Sterling Silver and Herbert Schiffer Antiques.

He and Joan had two daughters, Lea and Francey, and seven grandchildren. They traveled much, including to China, the venue of his senior thesis. In retirement he sculpted 16 apple trees into huge bonsai.

His classmates send their sincere regrets to his family.

The Class of 1944


Timothy W. Knipe ’44

Tim died on June 8, 2002, in Southhampton, N.Y. He came to Princeton from Choate; he was a member of Quadrangle, rooming with Gillis, D. Harris, Buttenheim, Conwell, Conze, Hobler, Baruch, and Hughson; he majored in modern languages and played squash and soccer.

He served three years in the field artillery, part of the time with the French underground since he was fluent in the language, having had schooling in France;. Among his honors, he was personally awarded the Croix de Guerre by General de Gaulle.

Beginning with House Beautiful, he worked at McCall’s and House and Garden as advertising manager. After he retired, Tim was involved with the Lighthouse, first in reading to a blind law student and eventually as chairman of its board; the Lighthouse volunteer center in NYC was dedicated to him and his wife, Grace. They lived on Pudding Hill Lane in East Hampton.

Tim left sons Timothy and George, daughter Anna, as well as stepchildren and four grandchildren. To Grace and to them the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1944


Albert Van Eerde II ’44

Al died in Wayne, N.J., on July 18, 2002. He came to Princeton from Pingry; he majored in biology, played in the band, and was a member of Prospect Club. Service in the Army and Air Force took him to Penn for his MD; Princeton gave him his AB in 1947.

After a two-year residency at Massachusetts General Hospital, he practiced anesthesiology for 31 years, many of them as chief, at Wayne and Paterson General Hospitals. He sang in the North Haledon, N.J., Presbyterian Church Choir.

After he retired, Al and his wife, Gerda, divided their time between New Jersey and Delray Beach, Fla., where he was president of the Pharmacy Medicine Group. He was successful for many years in his struggle with cancer.

He and Gerda had four children, Amy, Karen, Christie, and Albert, and 10 grandchildren: to them his classmates at Princeton send their condolences.

The Class of 1944


John Duncan Law ’45

John Law died on June 2, 2002, in a nursing home in Greenwich, Conn., of Alzheimer’s. John entered Princeton from Pawling School, became president of Campus Club, and was on the staff of the Daily Princetonian. His time at Princeton was interrupted by service as a platoon leader in the 98th Division in Hawaii and Japan. Upon return to Princeton he earned a degree in politics in 1948. He married the former Kathleen Bridger.

John reported for United Press in Paris, Warsaw, and Brussels. In 1952 he joined US News & World Report and was stationed in Beirut and Rome, with a stint in New Delhi. John’s distinguished career included decades of coverage of the Middle East, Europe, and Africa. His submission to the 25th yearbook describes slogging through jungles on foot, riding camels across deserts, and going by donkey over mountains. His travels often featured bombing, shelling, and gunfire. After leaving USN&WR John joined Chase Manhattan Bank in NYC and edited two economic publications on Mideast and East-West markets, finally retiring to become a freelance writer.

In addition to Kathleen, John is survived by a son from a previous marriage, by his sister Margaret, and by his brother Peter ’48. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945


David Brittain Willmer ’45

Dave died Sept. 29, 2001. He entered Princeton from Kent School, roomed with Barney Barnhart, and was a member of Cloister Inn. He was a member of the 150-lb. crew and a premier wrestler. Service with the Army Engineers on the Manhattan Project interrupted his Princeton career, but he graduated in 1947 with a degree in chemical engineering, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa. He married Anne Russell in 1947 and then received a degree in engineering R&D from Cal Tech. This led to a career at Standard Oil of California in economic analysis.

With Anne and daughters Daphne and Kerry, Dave was an avid sailor, becoming fleet captain of the Cal-20’s, the largest one-design class in the San Francisco Bay. After an amicable divorce in 1972, Dave married Sherry and retired from Chevron, where he was general manager of its economics department. They moved north to Orcas Island, from whence he and Sherry sailed to Alaska, hiked the world, and did volunteer counseling. In addition to Sherry, Dave is survived by Daphne and Kerry, to all of whom the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1945


Hyman L. Battle Jr. ’46

Hy died Mar. 6, 2002, at home in Sagaponack, N.Y., of cancer. A native of Rocky Mount, N.C. , where his father was president of the family-owned Rocky Mount Mills, the oldest cotton mill in the country, Hy graduated from the Rectory School in Pomfret, Conn., and Choate School. At Princeton he played football, and in 1943 was on the varsity team.

He joined the Marines in the V-12 program at Princeton, going into officer training in 1944, then into the reserves in 1946. He then took law at Penn and received his LLB in 1949. He practiced in NYC with Battle Fowler, Stokes & Kheel, and served the firm as managing partner until his 1988 retirement, continuing of counsel until his death. Hy also served as a second lieutenant with the Marines in a tank battalion from Mar. 1951-June 1952.

Married first to Peggy Harrison in 1945, he lived in Princeton from 1948-67, and had four sons, Craig, John, David, and Kemp. Divorced, he then married Reine and enjoyed summers with her in Ireland, where they kept a cottage. He also is survived by seven grandchildren and a brother, Tom. To them all, the class extends sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1946



Ed died Feb. 19, 2002, in comfort at his home at Lake Topez, Nev. Ed had been in failing health for several years and was surrounded by his family. He was 76.

Ed came to Princeton in 1943 from St. Mark’s. His undergraduate career was interrupted during WWII, while he served in the Army from 1943-45. He graduated from Princeton with honors in June 1949.

He studied law at the U. of Texas Law School. He moved to Los Alamos, N.Mex., in 1956 and practiced law there until 1979.

During his 40-year legal career, Ed served as a private practice attorney, represented a number of government agencies, and was elected Los Alamos County magistrate and Boise County prosecutor. He was involved in several non profit organizations, including the Los Alamos County Family Council and the Idaho Natural Resources Legal Foundation. The latter organization, whose goal is to protect natural resources from being lost or destroyed, became the main focus of Ed’s life for the last 20 years.

Ed is survived by his wife, Rev. Dr. Jane Foraker-Thompson, five children, four step-children, and 12 grandchildren. To the entire family, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1947


George W. Helme III ’48

George died after a long illness at Greenwich Hospital on June 29, 2002. He lived in Greenwich, Conn., was a former summer resident of Shelter Island Heights, N.Y., and grew up in Philadelphia.

He was a graduate of the William Penn Charter School in Philadelphia. At Princeton, he was a starting member of the varsity soccer team, rowed on the second varsity crew, and was a member of Cottage Club. During WWII he served in the V-12 program.

He was a retired fundraising consultant for Princeton, Englewood Hospital, the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, NYU, and Farleigh Dickinson U. He was formerly associated with Reynolds & Co. in Philadelphia.

He is survived by his former wife, Rae Sargent; two daughters, Lisa and Julie Helme Gordon; two sons, Charles and George; and his brother, Jay ’54.

The Class of 1948


Herbert William Talbot Jr. ’48

Bill died July 15, 2002, at Brick (NJ) Hospital. He was born and grew up in Englewood, N.J., and was a resident of Bay Head, N.J., at the time of his death.

He entered Princeton from Andover and majored in chemical engineering. He was a member of Cap and Gown and captain of the squash team in 1948. He served in the Army Air Force during WWII.

Bill was a former mayor of Mantoloking, N.J., a member and past commodore of the Bay Head Yacht Club, a former member of the Spring Lake Golf Club, and of the Ocean Reef Club, in Key Largo, Fla.

He worked in sales for 23 years at the National Lead Co. in NYC, Pittsburgh, and Chicago. After he retired he turned to his first love — cooking. He taught cooking classes for 10 years at the Bay Head Cheese Shop, which he owned.

Surviving are his wife of 51 years, Anne Nimick Talbot, son Herbert III (Chip), daughters Nancy Califano and Katherine Reilly, and six grandchildren. The class extends its deepest sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1948



Jonathan died on June 9, 2002, in Seattle, Wash., his dearly loved adoptive homeland. His great legacy was in shepherding landmark environmental legislation through the legislature in a special session in 1970. The Seattle Times described him as “the kind of politician who helps make government work. He was smart, passionate and had a knack for reaching out across party and ideological lines.” Jonathan died after a long struggle with a debilitating stroke.

Jon served in both the Washington state house of representatives and the state senate for more than a decade. He was active in the private sector with Bullitt Co., King Broadcasting, and Harbor Properties. A graduate of Harvard Law School, he had a continuous private law practice.

A native of Pittsburgh and graduate of Shady Side Academy, he served in the Navy from 1945-46. Jon graduated cum laude from Princeton in English and was in Cloister. All his life he loved theater and opera and was an avid cyclist, completing several major rides.

To his widow, Judith, and sons Jonathan Jr. and James, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1948



Bruce died Jan. 26, 2002, of respiratory failure. He was 76. He prepared for Princeton at Walnut Hills HS in Cincinnati, Ohio, and attended Ohio Wesleyan U. prior to service in the Pacific with the Navy during WWII. He transferred to Princeton in 1946 after his discharge. At Princeton, Bruce majored in psychology and was a member of the Glee Club and Quadrangle Club.

Bruce started work at the Gallup & Robinson Research Firm in Princeton after graduation and in 1957, left to work for Provident Mutual Life Insurance Co. He left there to work at the First Pennsylvania Bank in 1966, specializing in trusts and estates. He retired as a vice president in 1986. He was a volunteer at Paoli Memorial Hospital for nearly 15 years, and he enjoyed writing poetry, gardening, and making furniture. For anniversary and other celebrations he would always read an original poem for the occasion. He was quite active in attending class affairs at Princeton.

In addition to his wife, Marian, he is survived by three daughters, Catharine Brown Ebling, Sandra Brown, and Lisa Kohler, and three granddaughters. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them on their loss of this friendly and outgoing gentleman.

The Class of 1949



Dick died on Dec. 12, 2001. He was 77. He prepared for Princeton at Woodberry Forest School in Columbia, S.C., and spent one semester with us in 1946, after service in the Army during WWII. He was wounded in action in Europe.

After withdrawing he returned to Columbia, S.C., where he had lived ever since. He was president and owner of Keenan Oil Co. He married and had four daughters. It is known that he was survived by his wife, Lucia. No other information is available. The class extends its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1949



Dick died Dec. 4, 2001. He was 74. He prepared for Princeton at Canterbury School and served in the Navy during WWII. He majored in economics.

After leaving Princeton, Dick worked for five years in various European banks and then returned to this country, where he worked for J. Henry Schroder Banking Corp., and then W. R. Grace & Co., from which he retired as assistant treasurer.

Dick is survived by his wife, Adelaide Ryan Kerrigan; his former wife, Ann Stringer Robins; three daughters, Siobhan Johnson, Elizabeth, and Claire; three sons, Richard Jr., Kevin, and James; a brother, James ’45; and 10 grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949


Thomas R. Dew ’50

Tom died at his Chadds Ford, Pa., home on July 6, 2002. His life was filled with community contributions.

Tom graduated from Westtown (Pa.) School, majored in sociology at Princeton, and later earned a master’s in American studies at Delaware. From Princeton, he joined the Wilmington (Del.) News-Journal papers, where his editorial specialties included New Castle (Pa.) County and Africa. After 17 years, Tom moved into hospital public relations, the first of several PR positions. He edited more than a dozen newsletters during his career. The PR directorship of the Delaware American Bicentennial Commission was his favorite job, and led to long-running volunteer interest in the Delaware Sports Museum and Hall of Fame. He was the Hall’s secretary until last year.

His involvement with Boy Scouts spanned 55 years and included becoming an Eagle Scout at age 14 and receiving the coveted Silver Beaver service award. A four-sport athlete in high school and soccer player at Princeton, Tom coached and officiated soccer as an adult. After retiring as an official he was made an honorary member of the Delaware Officials Assn. he took the lead in organizing. Our condolences go to his wife, Jean, and sons, Thomas Jr. and Kevin.

The Class of 1950


Charles W. Roll Jr. ’50

Charlie died May 12, 2002, in Trenton, N.J. Coming from Trenton High, he majored in politics at Princeton and earned a master’s in public affairs at Columbia. He served with the peacetime Army in Korea.

Charlie was a well-respected political polling expert, coauthoring several books on polls and contributing to professional journals in American history, political science, and public opinion research. His Pennsylvania poll (1982-92) received widespread attention for its election outcome accuracy. Charlie attributed this to procedures he developed, that determined which poll respondents were likely to vote.

He was president of Political Surveys and Analyses, a firm founded by the late Archibald Crossley ’17. Among his clients were governors, senators, and other political notables. Earlier, he was study director at the Gallup Organization for 19 years. Pres. Ford appointed him to the corporate board of Public Broadcasting in 1976.

A lifelong Republican and New Jersey State committeeman, Charlie wrote that this seemed no conflict with Democratic clients “as long as they were no closer than nearby.” In 1975 he was a national convention delegate and cast one of New Jersey’s electoral votes for Gerald Ford.

Our sympathy is with Charlie’s sister, Lenora Lloyd, and his nephew, Harry Lloyd.

The Class of 1950


Antonio G. Giraud ’53

Tony died May 13, 2002, in his home in Houston, only two months after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

He accepted his approaching fate with philosophic resignation and with a renewed nostalgia for Princeton. Although he withdrew from the university after sophomore year, no one harbored more of a lifelong affection for the place (where his Cuban-born father had received a doctorate) or for his Princeton friends. He conversed with his former roommates George Carleu and Tom LeBrun and with Terry Connolly in his final weeks.

Born in Mexico City, Tony attended the Peddie School. He was a member of the International Student Union, Whig-Clio, and the Catholic Club. But due to his outgoing, gregarious personality, Tony was known widely among staff and faculty, as well as students.

Following a long and varied career, mostly in Mexico and Acapulco, that encompassed public relations, hotel promotion, and television production, Tony spent the last several years as a journalist for the Spanish language weekly, Le Voz de Houston. To his wife, Dulce Maria, and to his sons, Peter and Pastor, the class extends its sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1953


Ernest R. Preston Jr. ’53

Ernie died of pancreatic cancer on July 22, 2002, in Akron, Ohio.

Coming to Princeton from the Choate School, Ernie focused his studies on foreign affairs and was a graduate of the Woodrow Wilson School. A mainstay on the soccer teams for four years, he chaired the Last Blast, worked on the campus fund and class memorial drives, and was on the class day committee. He was a member of Cottage and the Right Wing Clubs.

He married Jean Bender five days after graduation. Following Navy duty, he returned to Akron and became owner and CEO of Jaite Packaging Co. A resident of Naples, Fla., he championed many charitable causes in both cities. A tragic loss occurred in 1986 when son Edward ’83 died in a helicopter crash.

Although in failing health, Ernie made it back to Reunions in May to see many friends for the last time. A friend put it well when he said Ernie was intense, vivacious, smart, loved life and Princeton. At his funeral, the organ prelude was “Going Back to Nassau Hall.” John Hinchman and John Baay attended the service. Besides Jean, Ernie leaves daughters Lisa Bertles and Page Growney, son Ernest III, and 10 grandchildren to cherish his memory.

The Class of 1953


William W. Cowles ’55

Bill Cowles of Redding, Conn., died Apr. 21, 2002, of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He was born in NYC and came to Princeton from the Horace Mann School.

At Princeton, Bill majored in electrical engineering and joined Court Club. He then earned his master’s and doctoral degrees from Yale. He taught electrical engineering first at Yale and later at Penn.

In 1970 he turned to industry, first joining the R&D Laboratory of SCM in Palo Alto, Calif., returning to the East Coast with the company in 1976, and settling in Redding, Conn. In 1980 he joined the Perkin Elmer Corp., and 1986 he moved to Pitney Bowes.

He retired in 1991 but later taught evening courses at the U. of Bridgeport and enjoyed several consulting positions. Friends will remember him for his wry sense of humor.

Bill is survived by his wife, Nancy; three children, Jenifer Moir, William, and Douglas; and four grandchildren. To them all the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1955


Boris Said Jr. ’55

Boris (also known as Bob Said and Bob Sled) died of colon cancer on Mar. 24, 2002.

Boris was reared in Greenwich, Conn., and came to Princeton from Deerfield. He left after freshman year to devote his efforts to car racing. He was the first American to win a race in postwar Europe (Osca at Rouen), he had been an Olympic bobsledder (Lake Placid and Japan), and set a speed record on the beach at Daytona. We missed Boris’s Hollywood star/equestrian period, but we know that he was an Emmy-winning documentary producer. He was known for his high energy, boundless enthusiasm, and new thinking.

Boris is survived by two children, Lisa and Boris, and his friend Beth Melnick.

The Class of 1955


Oliver Porter Gillock Jr. ’63

Ollie died of a massive heart attack Apr. 21, 2001, on the morning of what was to be a joyous 60th birthday celebration with friends, family, and Princeton classmates.

Ollie, who lived in Bala Cynwyd, Pa., and came to Princeton from Lock Haven (Pa.) HS, was coordinator of planning and development for the New Jersey State Library. He began work there as a reference librarian 35 years ago, after earning a master’s in library science from Rutgers.

He was an expert on library modernization and automation, and his role at the state library was overseeing building projects and renovations. Ollie took pleasure in providing advice to library colleagues all over the country, while his special delight was working on the state’s library for the blind and people with other disabilities.

He couldn’t let go of research, diving into archives everywhere to trace his roots back to Scotland. Never shedding his Eagle Scout habits, Ollie loved travel, hiking, and photography and, especially, working on our reunions. He was a fixture at off-year reunions, typically at the center of a gathering.

Our class shares the sorrow of his wife, Margaret, a science editor; sons, Douglas, an artist, and Nicholas, an architect; and brother, James.

The Class of 1963



Dag died on Sept. 12, 2000, of neuroendocrine cancer. Born in Oslo, Norway, he majored in civil engineering and served in the Norwegian Army Corps of Engineers after graduation.

In 1967 he married Bente Stavnes and moved to California to earn an MBA at Stanford. Working as a management consultant, Dag found his calling in international business management. He spent 20 years as a venture capitalist, where most of his investments pioneered new industries and some, such as KLA-Tencor and OCTEL Communications, became dominating players in their fields.

In 1982, Dag founded Glenwood Management, whose growth was aided by Dag’s skills in internationalization and corporate partnering. In 1996 he founded Vision Capital to make trans-Atlantic technology investments in European companies.

Between 1988 and 1992, Dag chaired an advisory committee to Princeton’s Computer Science Department and served on an advisory committee to the School of Engineering and Sciences.

Dag’s daughter, Karina (Tellefsen) Dykes, is a member of the Class of ’96. Her husband is Robert Dykes ’93. Dag’s father, Jens ’31, brother Jens ’62, and his nephew, Jens ’94, also attended Princeton.

To Bente, to Dag’s son Tore, to Karina, and to all other family members, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1966


George Andrew Sullivan Jr. ’70

George, or “Sully,” died unexpectedly on Mar. 5, 2002. Originally from Haddonfield, N.J., where he attended Haddonfield Memorial HS prior to Princeton, he spent the last 10 years of his life in Bloomington, Ind. At his service, many friends spoke about the gleam of George’s tremendous gifts and the special energy of his relationships with others.

He will be remembered for his starring role in the Triangle Club production of 1967. He later acted in several community productions. Many will remember him also from 150-lb. football, the English dept., Tiger Inn, Orange Key Society, and the “21” Club.

Following Princeton, George went to Villanova Law School, and practiced law for a time in southern New Jersey, but his love for the theater prevailed.

He was the director of audience development for the department of theater and drama at Indiana U. He had earned a master’s degree in theater there, as well as a doctorate in its School of Journalism. Except for a brief stint at a college in Louisville, Ky., he spent most of his career teaching at IU, and was voted a distinguished teaching award there by his students.

George will be missed where the Philadelphia Phillies are praised, where fast horses are admired, and where literature and theater are deeply felt. He is survived by his parents and sister, Ella. To them the class offers its most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1970


Philip Hsieh ’73

Philip Hsieh died of leukemia on June 8, 1998, in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Born in Canton, China, he attended Pui Ching School in Hong Kong before coming to the US. Philip studied molecular biology at Princeton and later obtained his PhD at the U. of Colorado.

Afterwards he moved to Boston where he did postdoctoral research and joined Biopure to work on blood substitutes.

In 1986, Philip moved to Thousand Oaks to work at Amgen. There he helped develop the manufacturing process for Epogen, a protein that stimulates red blood cell production. He was active in the local Chinese community and in his church. In addition, he enjoyed photography and building model airplanes.

He is survived by his wife Angela, son Edward ’99, and brother Bill. The class offers his family its sympathy.

The Class of 1973

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary