February 12, 2003: Memorials

Joseph Stoner Lichty ’29

Joe died on Oct. 10, 2002. He prepared for Princeton at Mercersburg. At Princeton, he played soccer and lacrosse, was in the band, Glee Club, choir, Triangle Club, and was a member of Elm Club. He graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1933, and from Harvard Business School in 1938, serving as assistant dean for two years. After two years in the personnel department of the Cleveland Trust Co., he returned to Boston as assistant dean of Harvard Medical School in 1942. In 1944 he enlisted in the medical corps of the Army and served with the 168th General Hospital in Europe.

After the war he helped to reestablish German medical education, then returned to Boston as assistant director of Mass. General Hospital. From 1950-57, he was director of the Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital in Greensboro, N.C. From 1957-70, Joe was the executive director of the Akron General Hospital. In Akron, he was a Rotarian and worked for many community organizations.

In 1936 he married Marian Broadfoot, who predeceased him in 1988. He is survived by his children, Ann Lichty Creamer, Corinn, Joseph Jr., two grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. To all of them, the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1929


George Low ’31 *35

George died Apr. 6, 2002. He was a businessman and community leader who came to Princeton from Bordentown, Mich. He played center on the basketball team and stayed at Princeton after graduating to complete his master’s and PhD in chemistry. After working in cellophane and rayon plants he was vice president of FMC. He is survived by his wife, Anne; sons Peter ’59 and David ’64; three stepdaughters; and three granddaughters, including Amanda ’96.

The class extends to Anne and her family its condolences over the loss of a wonderful person.

The Class of 1931


George Alfred Perera ’33

George died Sept. 14, 2002, in a retirement community at Kennett Square, Pa. He was 90.

George received his medical degree from Columbia U. Medical College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he served for several years as associate dean. George was well known nationally for his study of hypertension, which he showed was prevalent in families. He was well known for his work on methods of treating this disorder. George also was very well known for his antiwar efforts. Through the American Friends Service Committee he traveled to Vietnam, Cambodia, the Soviet Union, and the Middle East. He wrote a hallmark article on the dangers of Agent Orange. George’s wife of 65 years, Anna Rhoads, died in 1999. He is survived by a son, David; a daughter, Marcia VanDyck; and eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1933


John Franklin Coburn Jr. ’34

Bud, having lived a life he once described as “interesting and exciting, as well as constructive,” died Aug. 21, 2002, at the age of 91. Since his retirement from “all commercial activities” in 1974, he lived with his wife, Mary (Venning), in Sarasota, Fla., with a summer place in Chatham, Mass. In 1998 they moved to a retirement community in Needham, Mass., to be near their three sons and their families.

Bud’s business career was varied. After six years with Glidden Co. in Cleveland, he spent the war years as an inspector of naval matériel in DC and Binghamton, N.Y. There followed four years with Archer-Daniels-Midland in Minneapolis. From 1959-69 he and Mary lived in Peru, where he managed a sperm whaling company he had put together, and developed a port near Camana, which soon ranked second among that country’s fishing ports, providing hundreds of jobs.

Surviving, besides Mary, are three sons, John F. III, Ralph, and Andrew, and their wives and children. “Life,” Bud once wrote, “has been very, very good for this member of our class.”

The Class of 1934



Hayward died at home in Vero Beach, Fla., on Oct. 23, 2001.He was one of a big band of ’35ers who entered Princeton from the Gilman School in Baltimore. He did well at Princeton. But by 1933 his father’s death and financial strains at home forced him to transfer to Johns Hopkins. He graduated with a degree in combustion engineering.

Next, Hayward worked briefly for Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. and did a stint with US Steel and several other engineering firms. He then settled into a 30-year career with Rust Furnace & Engineering Co., where he supervised steel mill furnace sales in the US, Europe, and Central and South America. He rose to become Rust’s president.

Hayward married Jane Wehr in 1939. They had two children, Anne and H. Hayward Jr., bought a house in Mt. Lebanon, Pa., and spent summer vacations at Dennis Port on Cape Cod, or in the Parry Sound area of Ontario. Hayward retired early, in 1968, and for the next decade he and Jane restored an old farmhouse in Washington County, Pa., that dates to 1787. It’s now a registered national historic landmark.

Jane and both children survive him, as do six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1935



Born and raised in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., George also died there on Nov.16, 2001. He prepared for Princeton at Wyoming Seminary, and at Princeton, majored in history and was a member of Whig Hall. Next, he entered the Dickinson School of Law, graduating in 1938.

George then returned to Wilkes-Barre, set up his law practice, and married Hilda Dahl Fletcher. Thereafter, except for three years during WWII, he lived in Wilkes-Barre and became, say friends, “the finest real estate lawyer in the Wyoming Valley area.” His knowledge about the local terrain, they recall, enabled him to buy extensive parcels of land that, over time, became very valuable. George was always an avid environmentalist, so it’s not surprising that he arranged a deal with the Pennsylvania Wildlands Conservancy that will preserve much of his undeveloped acreage, as well as help support Wilkes U. for many decades. His home and former law office, alongside the campus, have become Fenner Hall.

George’s lifelong hobbies — nature photography, hunting and fishing — are local legends. So, too, is his love for gardening, especially for cultivating roses. His survivors include his second wife, Minerva J. Fenner, a sister, Sara Louise Jones, and five nieces.

The Class of 1935



Doug died at his summer home in Beach Haven, N.J., on July 20, 2001. He prepared for Princeton at Chestnut Hill Academy in Philadelphia, and, at college, majored in mechanical engineering, winning second group honors in his junior year. He also was secretary-treasurer of the Engineering Society and belonged to Cloister Inn.

After Princeton, Doug got a job with the Chambersburg Engineering Co. in Chambers-burg, Pa., where he rose to works manager and was made the company’s secretary and a director in the mid-’50s. He remained a director until 1993, a full 15 years after retiring from day-to-day work there.

In June of 1943, Doug married Mary Margaret (Peg) Aylsworth. They had two sons, C. Douglas IV ’69 and Arthur, and “shared a deep love for sailing,” said Doug. They belonged to the Little Egg Harbor [N.J.] Yacht Club, and cruised extensively up and down the Atlantic Coast, sometimes even dropping in on the Bahamas.

Until the final months of his life, Doug pursued an active interest in model-building and woodworking. In addition to Peg and their sons, he leaves two grandsons, a niece, and a nephew, Henry Grove III ’55.

The Class of 1935


Edward Henry Maxwell ’36

Ed died Aug. 19, 2002. He prepared at the Hun and Taft schools. At Princeton he majored in history and was a member of Charter Club.

He lived most of his life in Noank, Conn., and for 35 years he and his wife, Lillian, ran the Maxwellton Paint Co. in Mystic, Conn.

Ed’s great love was sailing. His family owned more of the famous Herreshoff sailing yachts than any other in history. These served as a sailing program for Ed and his two brothers. Ed began competing in racing in 1920. Block Island and Long Island Sound were his racing venues. He will best be remembered for his uncanny ability to decipher the winds, currents, and rocks around Fishers Island to his best advantage in racing. In memory of his racing talents, last summer the Mystic River Mudheads named their new committee boat the Eddie Maxwell.

Ed is survived by his wife, Lillian; son, Wes; daughters Carol Connor, Vicki Field, and Martha Maxwell; and 10 grandchildren.

The Class of 1936


Robert Landy Burger ’37

Bob died June 24, 2002, in Shelburne, Vt. He graduated from the Choate School, where he received the school’s highest honor, the Seal, given for integrity, scholarship, and sportsmanship. At Princeton he majored in politics, was a member of Cap and Gown, and was captain of the 150-lb. football team.

As a captain in the Air Force during WWII, he headed the public information office at Greenville Air Base in South Carolina. Upon his discharge, he joined the Burlington, Vt., Daily News and WCAX Radio, where he became known as “the Sears Man on the Street.” Bob founded the public relations office of the Mary Fletcher Hospital and initiated two award-winning health-related programs, Prognosis and Vermont Health Talk. He also began two hospital-related newspapers, Scoop and Progress and Care.

Bob was a charter member of New England Public Relations Assn. and the American Society of Hospital Public Relations. His numerous activities in Burlington included the dramatic, tennis, and Rotary clubs.

He is survived by Happy, his wife of 64 years, daughter Julie Pierson, son Gary, a grandson, three granddaughters, and two great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1937


John Carleton Goodell ’37

John died on June 15, 2002 in Saratoga, Fla. He was 88. He came to us from the Clark School [N.H.], majored in economics, and was proud that he was a member of the undefeated freshmen and varsity lacrosse teams and business manager of The Tiger.

During WWII he served in procurement and in the 321st bomb group in Corsica and Italy. John flew 13 missions, for which he received the Flying Cross, the Air Medal, and the Purple Heart. After the war he was assigned to the Pentagon, where he worked in research and development, and later was sent to Harvard Business School, where he earned an MBA with distinction.

In 1953, he moved to East Aurora, N.Y., to work for Scott Aviation. Along with two engineers and the help of his wife, Dorothy, he started Carleton Controls Co. in his garage. They designed and produced major subsystems for American space vehicles, including the primary and emergency oxygen regulator assemblies that enabled Neil Armstrong to step on the moon July 20, 1969.

After retiring in 1981, John wintered in Longboat Key, Fla., and summered in Centerville, Maine. His dear wife, Dorothy, died in 1987. Survivors include daughter Amy Waters, son Robert, and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1937


Nicholas Gilman Thacher ’37

Nick died on Mar. 11, 2002, of pulmonary fibrosis, at the age of 86. A distinguished member of ’37, he had been serving as AG agent.

He came to Princeton from Lawrenceville, majored in economics, graduated with honors, and received his law degree from Fordham U. During WWII, he entered officer training school and served four years in the South Pacific on the cruiser Pensacola as engineering officer, participating in 13 major battles.

In 1947, he married Jean-Louise Naffziger and joined the Foreign Service. His first assignment was as vice consul of the US embassy in Karachi, capital of the newly independent nation of Pakistan. Nick spent two years in Calcutta as vice consul, served as deputy chief of mission in Tehran for five years, and as US Ambassador in Saudi Arabia, from 1970-73.

When he left Saudi Arabia, he moved to San Francisco and pursued activities that drew on his knowledge of the Middle East. He was vice president in Wells Fargo Bank’s international department and taught undergraduate seminars at Stanford.

He is survived by his beloved wife, Jean Louise, with whom he shared a love of the San Francisco Opera and their retreat at Lake Tahoe; his daughter, Edith; sons Scott and Adam; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1937


Alan Churchill Woods Jr. ’40

Alan died Sept. 30, 2002, of complications from a stroke. He spent most of his life in Baltimore, where he pursued — as had his father and grandfather — his beloved medical profession.

Preparing at Gilman, he followed his grandfather, Hiram Woods 1879, his uncle, Alexander Armstrong 1899, and cousin, A. Armstrong, Jr. ’37, to Princeton. His cousin Arthur Machen Jr. ’42 was to join him.

At Princeton, Alan majored in biology, winning departmental honors and Sigma Xi. He was in the swimming managerial and a member of Charter Club. In 1942 he graduated from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Phi Beta Kappa. From 1946-48, he served in the Army Medical Corps, being discharged as captain.

Alan returned to Johns Hopkins for his residency and rapidly established himself as a “superb general surgeon who could do anything and did it well; an outstanding professor and raconteur.” This outgoing personality also served as trustee of the Gilman School and was an ardent hunter, fisherman, swimmer, and yachtsman.

Alan is survived by his second wife of 28 years, the former Julie Reiner; three sons, Alan III, Runyon, and Richard; a daughter, Louise W. Eaton; a stepson, S. Page Nelson; two stepdaughters, Holly Ghazey and Julie Brown; 12 grandchildren, and one great-grandson. To all of them, his classmates offer their sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940


Horace White Harrison ’43

The class and the philatelic world lost a heavyweight when Hammer died of pancreatic cancer Oct. 4, 2002. He was 81.

A stamp enthusiast from his youth, Hammer prepped for Princeton at St. Andrews in Delaware. He financed his freshman through junior years through sales of his extensive stamp collections.

After graduation, he entered the Navy and saw extensive duty on board the USS Burrows, a destroyer that escorted convoys in both Atlantic and Pacific theaters of war.

In 1947, Hammer began his insurance career with Hall and Harrison, an agency founded by his father, Robert B. Harrison. In 1952 he bought the firm, where he remained until selling the business and retiring in 1984.

His interest in stamps never waned through the years, and he left his mark by helping dealers and collectors insure their coins and stamps. Additionally, Hammer was a swing and blues enthusiast, who collected thousands of 1930s-80s recordings.

Hammer is survived by his wife of 17 years, the former Catherine France, and a daughter from his first marriage, Dr. Ellen Harrison. To them, we offer our most heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1943


George Small ’43

George died at his home in Baltimore, on Sept. 16, 2002. He was 81.

A graduate of the Gilman School in 1939, he served in the Army during WWII. Following military service, George became president of PA & Small Co. in York, Pa., a family-owned wholesale food distributor.

In 1969, George inherited from his brother, Sam, the Mpala Ranch of some 50,000 acres in Kenya, home to an elephant herd and other wildlife. In 1989, he founded the Mpala Wildlife Foundation, then joined with Princeton, the Smithsonian, and the Kenya Wildlife Service to develop a world-renowned scientific research center on the ranch.

Geroge loved tennis, fishing, and canoeing; it was his practice to take a major canoe trip each summer, such as Sutton River to Hudson Bay, in Canada.

He made an immediate impact on all who knew him. Moose Copeland ’74 termed him “one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known.” Our classmate Sam Cook wrote, “I was close to George from the age of 12; a fine person in every way, and very generous to Princeton.”

George left no immediate survivors. To those on the ranch, in Baltimore — indeed, around the world — we extend our deepest and most heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1943


Edward Arthurs Supplee ’43

Ed died on Aug. 8, 2002. He was 81.

Born and raised in Guilford, Md., Ed graduated from the Gilman School in 1939. At Princeton, he received his degree in Latin.

During WWII he served with an Army artillery outfit in the Pacific; recalled to duty in the Korean War, he was discharged as a captain. Taking a law degree from the U. of Maryland, Ed began his legal career at Clark, Thompson, and Smith of Baltimore.

In 1952 he joined Mercantile-Safe Deposit & Trust Co., retiring as vice president. Much involved in Baltimore civic affairs, he was a member of the Citizens Housing and Planning Assn. for nearly 40 years.

While on campus, Ed became a member of Cottage Club, held the rank of lieutenant colonel in the ROTC, and was proud to have been a member of the 150-lb. football team the year they won the championship.

He is survived by his wife of 59 years, the former Mary Carroll Wilsom; two sons, Edward and Scott; daughter Cynthia Swart; four grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter. To the entire family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943


William McIntosh Throop Jr. ’45

Class Treasurer Pete Throop died on June 20, 2002, of prostate cancer. Pete entered Princeton from St. George’s. His stepfather was Charles E. Davis Jr. ’25.

At Princeton, Pete was president of Elm Club, a member of the Inter Club Committee, and active in several sports. Pete was later active in class affairs, becoming treasurer in 1990 and continuing in that role until his death. During WWII he served with the 96th division, seeing combat in Guam, Okinawa, and the Philippines, and was awarded a Purple Heart. Pete then received a law degree from Yale and entered a lifetime career with the law firm of Davidson, Dawson & Clark, and was for many years their senior partner.

In 1951, Pete married the former Ann Mitchell, with whom he raised four sons. Pete was active in his New Canaan, Conn., community in church affairs, as first chair of the town council, and as president of the New Canaan Library.

The Throop family enjoyed their farm in upstate New York, where Pete was often seen atop a tractor, mowing the acreage. Pete is survived, in addition to Ann, by his sons, William III, Mitchell, Peter, and Thomas, and by two granddaughters. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Our class lost a true stalwart when Howie passed away in Newport Beach, Calif., on Aug.17, 2002. He was 76 and had been battling Parkinson’s for 10 years.

Howie prepared for Princeton at Roosevelt HS in Yonkers, N.Y., and served in the Army in Europe, landing at Omaha Beach on D-Day and fighting through to the Battle of the Bulge. He was awarded the Purple Heart, with three Oak Leaf Clusters, and three Battle Stars.

At Princeton, Howie majored in chemical engineering, graduating with honors. He was a member of Tiger Inn, and despite his war injuries he was on the varsity football, boxing, and track teams. He won the university heavyweight boxing championship and was awarded the Bonthron Trophy for his “outstanding contributions to Princeton’s track interests.”

Howie’s business career began at Owens-Corning Fiberglass in 1950. Subsequently he was president/CE) of US Polymeric, president of Hitco Corp., group vice president of Armco Steel (Aerospace), president/CEO of Oremet Metallurgical, and he retired as senior vice president of Owens-Corning. He was active in many cultural and community affairs in the Orange County, Calif., area and an ardent supporter of Princeton.

In addition to his wife, Anne, he is survived by a son, Michael; two daughters, Cecelia Lewis and Darby Nett; and five grandchildren. Our class extends its heartfelt sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1949



Wells died suddenly May 20, 2002, at home in Woodbridge, Conn. He came to us from the Nichols School and majored in basic engineering; his roommates were Art Mudge, Cal Rand, and George Shafer. He was a member of Charter and helped lead its hockey team to the university IAA hockey championship in ’51. While an engineering officer in the Navy, he married Sarah Seelye, who predeceased him. From 1956-91 he was with the Farrel Co., where, from 1986 to his retirement, he served as product manager for mill and calendering machine sales, and was well known in the plastics and rubber industry. He served as lecturer at the Plastics Institute of America at Stevens Institute, and also lectured at the NYU plastics seminars.

Wells played semi-pro hockey for the Akron Stars from 1951-53, and founded the Woodbridge-Bethany Hockey Assn. in 1968. He also coached in the Bethany-Woodbridge and Woodbridge fathers’ baseball leagues. His funeral took place at Christ Episcopal Church, Bethany. Wells and Sarah had three sons: T. Taylor, George Wells III and William, all of whom survive him, together with his brother, Thomas, and five grandchildren. They have our deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1951


Zach Toms Jr. ’51

Zach died Aug. 11, 2002, after a courageous battle with cancer. Born in Richmond, he attended St. Christopher’s and Woodberry Forest. At Princeton he was an economics major, a member of Cottage, roomed with Edgar Lawton and Dail Longaker, and graduated with honors. After graduation he went to OCS at Newport, and was commissioned in the Navy reserve, serving on the Wisconsin in action off North Korea.

Zach was a banker with the First & Merchants Bank of Richmond, which later became Sovran Bank, and he retired in 1986. During his business career he served on numerous commercial, civic, and charitable boards, and was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, the Society of Colonial Wars in Virginia, the Commonwealth, the Country Club of Virginia, and Richmond German. In 1952 he married Louise Williams Lewis of Richmond. In addition to Lousie, he is survived by their three children, Frances, Mary Fauth, and Zach Toms III; three granddaughters, Julia, Catherine, and Louise; his sister, Mary Fitzgerald; and two brothers, Peter and Newby ’65. The family have our sincere condolences.

The Class of 1951


Russell Marion Smith Jr. ’53

Russ, one of our most amiable and fun-loving classmates, died Aug. 8, 2002, of cardiac arrest in Denver, Colo.

Arriving from Hinsdale HS, Russ concentrated in history, was managing editor of the Bric-a-Brac, was social chair of Cannon Club, and belonged to the Pre-Law Society. He fenced, served on the Orange Key Committee, and was vice president of the Chicago Club. Senior year he roomed with Len Milberg, Dick Minesinger, and Bob Thoeny. Although accepted at Michigan Law School, Russ went into the advertising field. Then he moved to “God’s country,” as he called Colorado. There he met his wife-to-be, Marilyn Jane Scofield, and established his own business forms company, Omega Enterprises Distributing, Inc. It flourished.

Russ didn’t talk about his accomplishments, but they were numerous. He was a loving and devoted husband and father. In addition to Marilyn Jane, he is survived by son Michael, daughters Sallie and Amy, and mother Catherine. Speaking of his close longtime pal, Dick Minesinger said, “Russ was a great and loyal friend. His wonderful sense of humor and outrageous antics are legend.”

The Class of 1953


Demos C. Bakoulis ’54

Demos died Oct. 2, 2002, at Compassionate Care Hospice at St. Francis Medical Center in Trenton. Born in NYC, he was raised in Hightstown and graduated from the Peddie School. He served in the Army for two years before receiving his degree in English from Princeton. He spent the rest of his life as a resident of Princeton. He worked initially in advertising in NYC for 17 years. In 1973 he joined McHutchison & Co., a horticultural distributor, and became the company’s chief financial officer. In his retirement, he returned to Princeton to take advanced French courses. He was involved in many community activities including the United Fund, Princeton Future, and the Delaware and Raritan Canal Preservation Society. Demos was a loyal Princeton supporter, a member of the Quadrangle Club, and worked for the class 50th reunion committee. He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Marion Bergen Bakoulis; his daughters Gordon, Anne, and Julie; and four grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to his family in their loss.

The Class of 1954


Robert T. Madden ’54

Bob died suddenly on Oct. 12, 2002. He was born in Orange, N.J. His major at Princeton was politics. After graduation, he obtained his law degree at Indiana U. Law School. He served with the Coast Guard in Boston as an intelligence officer. He founded R.T. Madden Inc., an investment banking firm in NYC, specializing in private placements. During his professional career, he also worked for Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., became a partner with Kidder Peabody and Solomon Brothers, and was an adjunct professor at Fordham U. Graduate School for 10 years, where he taught investment banking. He was a board member of the Portsmouth Abbey School. He is survived by Michelle, his wife of 41 years; sons, Robert Jr., Joshua, and Mark; a daughter, Melissa Crowley; brother, Richard; and three grandchildren. The class extends is condolences.

The Class of 1954


Edward Joseph Eyring ’55

Edward and his wife, Mary Jane Eyring, were killed May 14, 2002, in a traffic accident in Honduras. A State Department official said the couple’s car was struck by a truck on the highway.

Ed, a native of Oakland, Calif., was reared in Las Vegas, N.Mex. At Princeton he majored in chemistry, joined Campus Club, earned a varsity letter in fencing, and played IAA sports. He attended Harvard Medical School and completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at UCSF. He practiced medicine in Ohio until the early ‘70s, before moving to Knoxville, Tenn. He and Mary Jane participated in the Knoxville Area Rescue Ministry.

In 1996 they moved to DC to head the District’s Gospel Mission program, which offers drug and alcohol treatment programs, education classes, and shelter. Under their leadership the programs flourished, including the conversion of the old Fulton Hotel from a crackhouse to a boarding house for homeless and addicted women. Most missions require that their clients attend prayer service, but Ed made it voluntary. He reported that turnout had tripled. “Before, they used to spend their time complaining and giving excuses,” he said. “Now they just come.”

Survivors include daughters, Margot, Lisa Guthrie, Alison, Jean McDonald; son Edward II; and nine grandchildren.

The Class of 1955


Grant Richard Curtis ’60

Grant died in Atlanta, on Sept. 27, 2002, of cancer, a week shy of his 64th birthday. Born in New Jersey, he came to Princeton from Jacksonville, Fla. He majored in history, was a member of Charter Club, and roomed with Nick Rey, Ted Crosby, Parker Quillen, Bob West, Jim Fuchs, and Tad Detweiler.

After graduation he served out his NROTC obligation on carriers and destroyers, including action in the Caribbean during the Cuban missile crisis. Grant went from the Navy to Harvard Business School, and then spent more than 30 years at the Coca-Cola Co. in marketing, strategic planning, and management. Although based in Atlanta, where he retired, Grant’s career was global; he served in Sydney, Tokyo, Brussels, and, his favorite, Paris. Imagine trying to sell Coke to the French. For Grant, it was “pas de probleme.”

After he retired, Grant was deeply involved in organizing ways to combat the rare disease, cerebella ataxia. He also was actively involved with his family, as well as with his friends and classmates in Atlanta, until shortly before his death. We will always remember his devotion, simple kindness, and sense of humor. The class extends its sympathy to Carol, his wife of 35 years; his son, James; and his daughter, Sarah.

The Class of 1960


Billy Charles Jackson ’73

Billy died on Oct. 20, 2001. The oldest son of William and Beanna Jackson and one of seven children, Billy was born Dec. 3, 1950, in Dallas. He attended Franklin D. Roosevelt HS, and graduated as salutatorian in 1969. He was president of the student council, captain of the Roosevelt football and basketball teams, and a member of the National Honor Society. Billy received awards from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Alpha Merit. He also received a four-year academic scholarship to Princeton.

Billy enjoyed working to improve communities and helping others. He took time taking care of his parents for many of the past 10 years. He was the proud father of one son, Tarik, and has a grandbaby who arrived in Sept. 2002.

Family and friends will miss Billy, but are honored to have known him and will cherish fond memories of his caring spirit and willingness to be the best. A scholarship fund to be awarded to an outstanding athlete in 2003 has been set up at Roosevelt HS in his honor.

The Class of 1973

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary