February 26, 2003: Memorials

Louis Franklin Kemp ’29

Louis, of Guilford, Conn., died at home on Oct. 26, 2002, of congestive heart failure. He was 96. He prepared at Phillips Andover Academy. At Princeton he was on the track team, was Theatre Intime business manager, and a member of the choir, Triangle Club, and Tower Club. The summer after college, as business manager of the Provincetown Players, he had to rout out Jimmy Stewart ’32 for rehearsals. He worked for the advertising firm of Ruth, Roth, and Ryan until 1952, when he became president of the US School of Music, which his father had founded. For several years he was mayor of Brookville, N.Y.

After he retired he moved to Connecticut, where as a dedicated volunteer for the Red Cross he helped victims at the Johnstown, Pa., flood, and later earned the Connecticut Medal for Volunteer Service. He was also ’29 secretary for several years.

His first wife, Louise Nunn Kemp, predeceased him. He is survived by his second wife, Eileen Chave Kemp; daughters Barbara and Lillian; son Franklin ’62; stepdaughter Vicki Clement; grandchildren Kaaren Reichard ’90, Charles Kemp, and Charles Clement; and a brother, Walter ’35. To all of them the class extends its sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1929


William Turnbull ’30

William, a lifelong resident of Far Hills, N.J., died Oct. 23, 2002, at his home. He was 94.

He prepared at the Buckley School in NYC, and then at St. Mark’s. After Princeton he attended the École des Beaux Arts in Paris, and the Yale School of Architecture. He then went to work at the Cranbrook Academy of Art in Michigan, and then joined the family brokerage firm, Post and Flagg, in NYC.

During WWII he served in the Navy. After the war, he founded United Instrument Corp. in Summit, N.J, with his brother, Arthur. After he sold the company in the late 1950s, he pursued his lifelong love of agriculture, with interests in farms and ranches in Georgia, Colorado, California, and New Jersey.

He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Elizabeth; son Thomas; daughters Ellen and Margaret; 12 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. William was predeceased by his eldest son, William Jr., in 1997. The class extends its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1930


Walter Edward Whitton ’33

Walt, retired chairman, president, publisher, and CEO of the Hour Newspapers, died Aug. 24, 2002, in Redding, Conn. He was 91.

He received his law degree from Harvard in 1937. After a brief stint on Wall Street and practicing law with Shelly Smith, he joined the Navy, where he served in the Southwest Pacific. After the war, he returned to Connecticut to practice law. After the death of the owner, he gradually took over the management and publication of the Hour newspapers. He was also president and owner of the Danbury-Brewster Lumber Yard through his own investment and inheritance.

During the course of his active life, he took part in Republican politics and played good tennis. He was a record-breaker on the Princeton track team. Walt is survived by his wife, Karen Vaughn; sons Jack and Brett; daughters Anne Leslie and Paula Castaneda; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. We will miss this versatile and productive classmate.

The Class of 1933


Myron Lafayette Rice ’34

Myron, who spent his working life as a traveler for college textbook publishers, died May 20, 2002. At one time in his career he worked with Bill Oman in the college department of Dodd, Mead & Co. For the past several years he had lived with the second of his three sons and, “on alternate weekends,” as he wrote, “his two kids, who keep me flexible.”

But advanced arthritis severely limited his activity, “even the woodworking and ship-model building that were formerly my major hobbies.” Myron’s other interests included sailing-ship history and design, Japanese art, food and wine, languages, history, calligraphy, music, and Victorian architecture.

Myron’s wife, Janet Plummer, died in 1983. Surviving are his three sons, Philip, J. Alan, and Robert, and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1934


George Wishart Creighton ’36

George, son of Joseph ’07 and brother of John ’32, died on May 17, 2002, at the U. of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville. At the time of his death, George was living in Locust Grove, Va., having moved to Virginia from Short Hills, N.J., in 1985.

George prepared at the Choate School and majored in politics at Princeton. He was a member of the University Cottage Club.

His first job was with First Boston Corp., followed by positions at Procter and Gamble, and the W. R. Grace Co. In 1941 he joined the sales department of the US Steel Corp., working in the districts of Boston, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and finally NYC. He retired in 1975 as manager of special accounts.

George’s wife, Barbara “Bynnie” Conant, died in 1978, and his brother John died in 1994. George is survived by a sister, Jane Creighton Winans, and his three children, Joseph, Barbara Creighton Willis, and Mary Ann Creighton Thierfelder. In addition, George was the beloved grandfather of six. He will be well remembered.

The Class of 1936



Ed died on June 28, 2002, at the age of 88, after a stroke, in Bethesda, Md. He came to us from Choate, belonged to Terrace Club, and was a politics major in the School of Public and International Affairs.

His Navy service started as an apprentice seaman, and after a four-year, nine-month tour of active duty in the Atlantic and European theaters under the Third Naval District and Bureau of Ships, he rose to the rank of lieutenant commander. In one of our yearbooks he mentioned oceanography as a hobby and his pride in membership in Bermuda-Marine Biological Laboratory.

This is a summation of his splendid career: From 1938-61, except for his Navy service, he worked for the Old American Smelting and Refining Co., serving as its DC representative from 1957-61. Ed was employed at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia U. from 1962-64, where he worked on ship operations and labor policy questions. Ed worked at the Commerce Dept. from 1964-68. He then joined the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Dept. as chief liaison officer to the ocean-mining industry until he retired in 1976. Ed was also a member of the US delegation to the UN on Law of the Sea.

He is survived by his wife, Mary; two sons, Martin and Jonathan; a daughter, Patricia Gerachis; and a granddaughter. Two sons, Jeffrey and Edgar IV, predeceased him. Family and friends will mourn this fine classmate, and we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1937



Hank died at his home in Hudson, Ohio, on July 8, 2002, only three months after the death of Ginger, his beloved wife of 64 years. He was 88.

He came to us from Lawrenceville. He majored in art and archaeology, and continued his love of crew to become a national rowing champion. With his bride, Hank returned to Akron to enter the family publishing business. He joined the Navy as an ensign, served with the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts in DC, for which he received a commendation, and returned to civilian life as a reserve lieutenant. Hank worked for Saalfield Publishing Co., eventually succeeding his grandfather and his father as president and chairman.

After he retired he served for several years with the Intl. Executive Service Corps in Spain, Greece, and Egypt. Some of his numerous civic activities included the United Way, which named an award for him; serving as a trustee of the Peninsula Public Library and Akron Art Museum and as a charter member of the Cuyahoga Valley Assn.; and as a member of the Rotary for 55 years, the Princeton Club of Akron, and Sons of Rest, a retiree group that met regularly to solve the world’s problems.

In our 50th-reunion book, Hank wrote that he was proud of three months spent in Greece assisting the country’s admission to the Common Market. To his sons, Albrecht and James, daughter Elizabeth Ives, 12 grandchildren, and many friends, the class offers its deepest sympathy on their great loss.

The Class of 1937



Frank died Aug. 12, 2001, in Cincinnati. He prepared at Choate, and at Princeton he majored in English. He earned freshman numerals in fencing. He was a second lieutentant, field artillery, in the ROTC and joined Colonial Club. During WWII, Frank rose to the rank of major and earned five battle stars in Africa and European campaigns. From the transportation corps he moved to intelligence work, earning the US Legion of Merit and French Croix de Guerre decorations.

His postwar career was entirely with the medical equipment firm of Koenigkramer, where he became president. Active in many civic organizations, his abiding interests included the arts and, specifically, the Cincinnati Symphony, which he served as president. Outdoor hobbies included golf, fishing, hunting, travel, and photography.

Frank’s wife of 50 years, the former Kathryn E. Hosford, died in 1992. In 1993 he married Mary Harding Hosford, who survives, along with his son, Frank III; his daughters, Cecille Kruger and Paula Ott; and nine grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938


Thomas Roberts McMillen ’38

Tom died in Evanston, Ill., on Sept. 17, 2002, from complications following a stroke. He graduated from Hotchkiss before coming to Princeton, where he was a member of the varsity crew and Terrace Club. He also was on the editorial board of the Daily Princetonian and graduated with highest honors in politics. Tom was awarded a Rhodes scholarship, but WWII prevented him from attending Oxford. He graduated from Harvard Law School in 1941 and then served in Army intelligence, receiving the Bronze Star and the Croix de Guerre.

Thereafter he practiced law in Chicago, and became a judge in 1968. In 1971, Pres. Nixon appointed him to the federal bench, where he served with great courage and distinction, dealing with a number of highly complex and controversial cases, including the trial of the militant Puerto Rican group, FALN, which brought him national attention. After he retired in 1985, he remained active as an arbitrator and mediator. He received our class distinguished service award in 1998. He continued to hunt and fish until illness overtook him.

Tom is survived by Nan, his wife of 56 years; three daughters, Patricia, Margot, and Onnie; and seven grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1938



Ed died on Sept. 19, 2002, after a brief illness and surgery. After graduating from Exeter, he majored in philosophy at Princeton, and was crew manager and manager of Elm Club.

After serving as secretary of the Princeton University Fund, Ed moved to Maine in 1949 and founded the first national mail-order seafood business, Saltwater Farm, which shipped live lobsters to customers all over the country. Beyond his business successes, Ed’s activities were so extensive that he earned the sobriquet “patriarch of New England aquaculture.” He drafted Maine’s aquaculture policy and was granted the first Maine aquaculture lease. For 25 years he counseled prisoners at the Maine State Prison. He was a director of the Maine Peace Mission and Citizens Opposing Nuclear Arms. He wrote two witty newspaper columns, was appointed to state advisory panels by three governors, and was active in church affairs as a lay preacher and trustee.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Julia; four children, Winslow ’62, Allen ’65, Thomas, and Felicity; four grandchildren; and three stepgrandchildren. Another grandson, Chase Myers, predeceased him. Sharing in their admiration and affection for this remarkable man, the class extends its deep sympathy to the entire Myers family.

The Class of 1938



Bernie died at his home in San Mateo, Calif., on Oct. 10, 2002. He was born in NYC, where the Ridder family interest in newspapers began in 1885.

Bernie came to Princeton from Canterbury School. He majored in history, captained the squash team, and was twice runner-up in the National Intercollegiate Squash Championships.

After graduation he worked for the family’s NY Journal of Commerce, and in 1939 he married Jane Delano, a niece of Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt. During WWII he was a gunnery officer aboard the carrier USS Bunker Hill, earning nine battle stars. Postwar he served as publisher of four papers in Duluth and St. Paul, taking Ridder Publications public in 1969. As president and CEO, he presided over the 1974 expansion merger of Ridder Publications with Knight Newspapers, the combination of which then had the largest daily circulation in the US.

Bernie was a fine golfer and was on the executive committee of the USGA. He also served on the board of the Minnesota Vikings football team.

Bernie is survived by his wife, Jane; his brother, Daniel; two sons; three daughters; nine grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Hans, or “Baldy,” died in his sleep on Jan. 25, 2002, after a long battle with Parkinson’s.

He came to Princeton from Andover and Woodstock, N.Y., with John Faggi ’39 and graduated with honors in chemical engineering. He was a manager of Elm Club.

Hans devoted his 35-year professional career to Monsanto Chemical Co., principally in Texas. As general superintendent in charge of production, he developed what became the largest ethylene plant in the world. He was a member of the American Chemical Society and American Institute of Chemical Engineers.

He retired in 1973 to a busy life of fine woodworking, gardening, skiing, photography, Rotary Club, scouting, and Episcopal Church activities, and was also a member of the Parkinson’s Support Group of Asheville, N.C. In addition he and his wife, Patty, were very active in stewardship of the earth and the peace movement.

Hans, a wonderful family man, is survived by Patricia, his wife of 56 years; sons Hart, Frederick, and Karl ’75; daughter Marian Schleicher; six grandchildren; and a brother, Karl. The class extends its condolences to all the Schleicher family.

The Class of 1938


Henry Aplington II ’39

Maj died Sept. 8, 2002, in a Portland, Maine, hospital. At Princeton he was active in the ROTC program, an experience that led him to join the marines. There he served for 27 years, chiefly in the Pacific, until he was recruited by the National Security Agency, where he worked for the final five years of his career. He had retired from the US Marine Corps as a full colonel in 1967.

He and Lois Hudson were married in 1968 in the Princeton chapel with Fred Fox ’39 officiating. They settled in Warner, N.H., where he served on the school board, as a trustee of the library, and on numerous town committees until he decided to concentrate, in his own words, on lawns, maintenance, snow blowing, and splitting firewood. Finally he and Lois moved to Portland to an apartment whose balcony looked out over the water. The last letter he sent us included a photo of his Maine license plate, whose number was “VAT 39.”

We offer our sympathy to Lois, as well as to his daughter, Judith Crocker; son, James; and grandson, James Crocker.

The Class of 1939


Leavenworth Holden ’39

Worth died of cancer on June 26, 2002, at the home of his daughter in Easton, Md. In addition to his family, his greatest love and fulfillment was sailing and building boats of all kinds. He most especially delighted in the design and building of wood and fiberglass sailing craft. He was well known for his original design and building of the first fiberglass pleasure boat on the Chesapeake, a speedy and comfortable vessel called High Wind, in 1958. She is still owned and sailed by a relative today. Worth also repaired, built, and refinished furniture and was remarkably innovative in some of the fine furniture and wooden decorative pieces that he designed and crafted.

Worth and Mary Katherine Hoyt of Baltimore were married in 1946. For several years they lived along the East Coast in various locales, such as New York and Rhode Island, but lived in Annapolis from the late 1950s until they retired to Easton in 1985. He leaves Mary Katherine, three children, and four grandchildren, all of whom cherished his dry, ironic wit, his skills, talents, and gracious goodwill. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Charles Kennedy Cox ’41

Charlie died on Oct. 25, 2002, at home in Moorestown, N.J., after a long illness. He came to Princeton from Haddonfield [N.J.] HS. At Princeton he majored in economics, joined Court Club, and was active in Whig-Clio and the University Choir. He roomed with Bill Marvel, Fred Ferris, and Frank Haines.

Joining the Army in Aug. 1942, Charlie served in North Africa and Italy, participating in the Anzio invasion. He received a field commission and was separated as a first lieutenant. He worked for the Insurance Co. of North America for 32 years, retiring in 1979 after serving as president from 1968-78.

Throughout his distinguished career, Charlie was very active in the greater Philadelphia area. He became chairman of Hahnemann Medical U. from 1979-81. He was president of the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce in 1976, and chairman of the United Way in 1978. He was treasurer of the Philadelphia Orchestra and served on the boards of many institutions, including the Germantown Savings Bank, Philadelphia Electric Co., Blyth Eastman Dillon, and the United Negro College Fund. He was an elder at the Moorestown Presbyterian Church.

Charlie is survived by his wife of 50 years, Doris Cummings Cox; sons William and David; daughter Barbara Kozemchak ’77; as well as seven grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Philip Bradley Bartholomay ’46

Phil died Aug. 7, 2002, of heart failure at his Santa Barbara, Calif., home. Graduating from the Cate School in 1942, he entered Princeton to study architecture. He joined Tiger Inn, as had his father, Frank ’11. Joining the Army in Dec. 1942, he saw action in North Africa and Italy, and later in France and the Rhineland as a combat infantryman and medical corpsman, earning a silver star. He helped establish the first occupational therapy program in an Army hospital.

After discharge in 1945, Phil married Audrey Anderson and began teaching at the Cate School in Santa Barbara. He then entered the construction business and specialized in swimming pools. He became a licensed architect and built hundreds of homes and additions in central California until he retired in 1996. With his wife and their three sons, Brad Jr., Randall, and John, and three grandchildren, Phil enjoyed camping, snow and water skiing, tennis, and boating. To Audrey and all the family, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1946


Robert Ayres Furman ’46

Bob died Sept. 21, 2002, at University Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio.

Born in Newark, N.J., he captained the basketball team at Phillips Exeter Academy and entered Princeton in June 1942. Son of Benjamin 1906, nephew of John ’13, and brother of John ’42, Bob played football, basketball, and baseball, leaving for the Army in Nov. 1943. He attended Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, from which he graduated in June 1947. After two years as an Air Force doctor, he studied psychiatry in Cleveland, where he later established the Center for Research in Child Development. Together with his wife of 48 years, the late Erna Furman of Vienna, Austria, he developed the Hannah Perkins Center for psychiatric treatment for young children.

Bob was author of many papers and books, most on psychiatry, traveled widely with his family, and enjoyed a 56-acre rural country home. He leaves his daughters, Lydia F. Peter ’79 and Tanya F. Larson ’82, and three grandchildren. To them the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1946



Tony died July 9, 2001, of heart failure at home in Paris. He was 73. Tony prepared for Princeton at French schools in Paris and NYC. His father, Percy ’09, was professor of French literature at Princeton. One brother, Francois ’44, was killed in action in WWII. At Princeton, Tony majored in history, was a member of the Student Christian Assn., the Outing Club, and helped found the Princeton Overseas Committee. He also tutored in French.

After graduation, Tony attended medical school in Paris and then served with distinction as a doctor and teacher until his death. He practiced in gastroenterology, nephrology, and internal medicine, was a specialist in intensive care, and an early researcher in nuclear medicine. He was head of the Dept. of Internal Medicine at Hôpital Foch, where he was a titled professor. He also taught in Algeria and Egypt. In 1962 he was a fellow at the NIH in DC. Tony authored numerous professional articles and was awarded France’s Legion of Honor for his distinguished career.

Tony is survived by his wife, Joan; a daughter, Isabelle; two sons, Leo and Luc; a brother, Christian ’43; and five grandchildren. The class extends its sincerest condolences to them on the loss of this dedicated healer and teacher.

The Class of 1949



Gordon died Sept. 11, 2002. He was 77. He prepared for Princeton at Middletown HS in Knoxville, Tenn. He came to Princeton after service in the Pacific during WWII. He left after his sophomore year and later attended the U. of Tennessee. Gordon’s career was with J. C. Penney Co. as a store manager in several different locations. He retired after 31 years with the company in Garden City, S.C., in 1981. He was always proud of having attended Princeton.

He is survived by his wife, Dolores; a son, Gordon, Jr.; three daughters, Joyce Hammer, Barbara Polanger, and Patricia Stowell; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. To them all, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1949



Bill died July 31, 2002, of lung cancer at home in Wilmington, Del. He was 74.

He prepared for Princeton at Tower Hill School. At Princeton he majored in chemical engineering. He played JV basketball and was a member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.

After graduation, Bill worked in the chemical industry for DuPont and was manager of the tech services and textile division until he retired in 1985. DuPont also employed him in Geneva and Teheran during his career. In retirement he enjoyed golf, fishing, traveling, reading, and painting.

Bill is survived by his wife of 51 years, Elizabeth; a daughter, Nancy Wigley; two sons, Douglas and David; and nine grandchildren. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them on the loss of this quiet but very capable classmate.

The Class of 1949



Ed died on Oct. 2, 2002, of cancer. He was 75. He prepared for Princeton at St. Paul’s School. At Princeton he majored in English and graduated with honors. Ed played rugby, was on the 150-lb. crew, was editor-in-chief of Nassau Lit, associate editor of the Daily Princetonian, a Triangle Club writer and actor, and a member of Ivy Club. He served in the Navy during WWII.

After Princeton, Ed went on to Harvard Law and spent his career specializing in international business, helping to advance the development and application of international business law. He spent his working career with the firm Shearman and Sterling. He set up the firm’s first overseas office in Paris in 1962, where he was involved in a number of major negotiations. He was a founder of the French-American Foundation, committed to strengthening ties between the two countries, and was awarded the Legion of Honor by France.

Ed is survived by his wife, Liliane; two sons, Edward ’83 *85 and Matthew; and a daughter, Jessica, all from a previous marriage to Linda Barnes; three stepsons, Josiah Emery, Dana Emery, and Matthew Emery; and seven grandchildren. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949



Warren died Nov. 2, 2002, of a heart attack. He was 76.

He prepared for Princeton at East Orange [N.J.] HS. At Princeton he majored in biology and graduated with honors. He was a member of the pre-medical society and a member of Terrace Club. He served in the Merchant Marine during WWII. He also served in the Army Medical Corps from 1958-60. His cousin, James Richard Warbasse, is a member of our class

After graduation, Warren attended Cornell U. Medical College and completed his internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology. He practiced his specialty for 34 years in Madison and Mendham, N.J., and was a diplomate of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecologists and a fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He was a member of the Jockey Hollow Sons of the American Revolution, and after he retired, he pursued interests in genealogy and history. He was also active in class affairs.

Warren is survived by his wife, Patricia; daughters Heidi and Pamela Mansfield; and two grandchildren. To them and to his cousin, Richard, the class extends its condolences on the loss of our dedicated classmate.

The Class of 1949



George died May 6, 2002, of cancer. He was born in Trenton and came to Princeton after service in the Pacific with the Marine Corps during WWII. He later transferred to and graduated from Columbia. He continued to associate with his many friends and was proud of his Princeton connection.

George started as a civil engineer designing highways for state and local governments. His major career was as director of data processing for the New Jersey State Dept. of Transportation. After he retired, he consulted as a writer of database programs for PCs. He was a registered professional engineer, a member of the Princeton Skating Club, Sons of the American Revolution, and the Society of Colonial Wars. He enjoyed his shore home and trips to England.

George is survived by his wife, Patricia; a daughter, Ann Woodruff Ferrara; a son, George; and three grandchildren. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them all on their loss.

The Class of 1949


Peter Wilson Patton ’53

Pete, whose passion was flying — he flew for more than 40 years — died Oct. 30, 2001, of cancer in Palm Desert, Calif.

Born in London, Pete grew up in San Marino, Calif. He was with us for only two years but belonged to the Pacific Coast Club, the Rocky Mountain Empire Club, and the Republicans Club. Sophomore year he roomed with Tom Lind, who recalls that Pete’s parents died when he was young, and Pete’s uncle, Gen. George S. Patton (who became famous during WWII) and Pete’s aunt became Pete’s legal guardians. Pete joined the Navy and specialized in piloting large reconnaissance planes up and down the Pacific coast. He retired as a lieutenant commander after 20 years of service. He then became a soaring instructor and tow-plane pilot with Sail Plane Enterprises in Hemet, Calif., and continued flying for 20 more years.

His widow, the former Dael Watson, an artist, said that he loved the beauty of the San Jacinto Mountains and, until his illness began to tire him, he hiked the mountains two to three hours daily. But flying, Dael said, was Pete’s true love. We send condolences to Dael, son Lindsey, brother David, and stepsons David and Steven Shenbaum.

The Class of 1953


Paul E. Peabody ’53

Paul, who brought joy to all ages with his marionette shows and who was dedicated to ending conflicts nonviolently, died of a heart attack on Sept. 17, 2002, in Nyack, N.Y.

Entering from the Salisbury School, his major was English and his out-of-class activities included chairing the Westminster Fellowship and working in Firestone Library. After graduation, he attended Princeton Theological Seminary and married Jo Deans. Both were students at Pendle Hill, a Quaker Study Center in Pennsylvania, and Paul taught at Friends Academy in Locust Valley, N.Y.

Paul’s marionette-making and his puppet performances spanned 40 years. He gave his mostly 40-minute shows in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, and at NYC’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Morgan Library, and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. He also made four appearances at England’s Stratford-on-Avon festival. For 36 years, Paul worked for the Fellowship of Reconciliation, giving support to those who wanted to solve problems peacefully. All of his efforts, his wife, Jo, said, came from his great caring for people. Besides Jo, our generous, creative classmate leaves his sons, Paul Jr. and Timothy, daughter Jeanne Walsh, and two grandchildren.

The Class of 1953


Malcolm C. Rees Jr. ’55

Mal died in San Diego on July 9, 2002, of acute leukemia, after a 16-month illness. He had had a bone marrow transplant in 1994, and thought he had licked the disease.

Mal was born in Boston and came to Princeton from the Rivers School on an NROTC scholarship. At Princeton he majored in English and was a member of Cloister Inn. One of the qualities that set Mal apart was his ability to be at home anywhere. Whether in the cockpit of a Navy aircraft, writing a difficult paper for his master’s thesis, or as a CPA for Ernst and Young, he enjoyed himself.

Mal never complained. He was a gentleman of the old school and totally committed to his family and friends. As a close friend said, “Mal was a good man to ride the river with.” Everyone was amazed by his sense of humor, grace, and stoicism through his final months.

Mal leaves his wife of 46 years, Gail Swanson; two sons, Malcolm III and Stuart; and his sister, Eleanor Brown. He was buried with full military honors.

The Class of 1955


Robert W. Paterson ’60

Bob died Aug. 15, 2002, after a struggle with cancer. At Princeton, Bob was a member of Dial Lodge, Naval ROTC, and graduated summa cum laude in mechanical engineering.

He served in the nuclear navy until 1964, when he entered the PhD program at Harvard. He married Joyce Pero in 1967. After graduation in 1969 he joined the United Technologies Research Center, where he rose to lead its fluid mechanics group and authored over a dozen patents and 35 papers.

In 1996, Bob and Joyce retired to a waterfront home in Boothbay Harbor, Maine, to pursue their interests in sailing and tennis. Bob will be remembered by the many who knew him for his kindness, wit, and optimism in the face of the difficulty that served him well to the end. The class extends its sympathy to his wife, Joyce, and son, Robert Jr.

The Class of 1960



John died of cancer on Mar. 19, 2002, in Colorado Springs, Colo. Born in NYC, son of the late George F. Burt ’31, John was a graduate of St. Paul’s School in Concord, N.H. At Princeton he majored in chemical engineering (Phi Beta Kappa) and was a member of Key and Seal.

Following Princeton, John worked for the GAF Corp., Singmaster & Breyer, and Foster Wheeler before changing careers in 1971. For the next 20 years he taught mathematics and chemistry at Gill/St. Bernard’s School in Gladstone, N.J., where he was named “Teacher of the Year” in 1991. After he retired, he moved to Colorado Springs. Among his interests were literacy volunteerism, the Interfaith Hospitality Network for homeless families, tennis, and the piano.

John is survived by his wife, Karen Murphy Burt, three sons by his previous marriage, four grandchildren, and a brother. With them, we mourn the loss of our friend and classmate.

The Class of 1961


Charles B. Clement Jr. ’62

We lost a loyal classmate on Sept. 14, 2002, when Charlie succumbed to a ruptured ulcer. Unstintingly gracious, warm, funny, religious, altogether human, Charlie was also cantankerous, stubborn, complex, and sometimes dark of mood. Most of all, he was independent and utterly indifferent to the crowd — what it thought, what it did, whom it honored.

Charlie majored in religion and English, then studied law at the Universities of Virginia and Heidelberg. Following work in Europe, he found his career at the Chicago Board of Trade, initially as a trader and later providing legal advice. His lifelong devotion was to writing, starting with poetry at Princeton and blossoming into a series of published and to-be-published works of fiction.

Charlie was superb to his numerous friends: Phil and Arnold Weinstein, Larry Darnell, Dave Rosenbloom, Joe Lundy, Bob Appel, and Rick Smith, to name a Princeton few. At every stage he possessed an unfailing capacity to find (or if necessary, make) life interesting, and thus, he made it more interesting for others.

The Class of 1962

Paige Andrea Meili ’76

After struggling for several years with a chronic disease, Paige died on Nov. 11, 2002. Born in Pittsburgh and raised in Milwaukee, she was a member of the Charter Club and majored in history. She roomed with Candy Conway Fleming and Dori Jones Yang, who miss her terribly.

She was fluent in French and Spanish, which she used extensively in her business and personal travels. After graduation, she joined McKinsey & Co., and in 1980 earned an MBA at Harvard. Paige devoted her life to building healthcare and financial systems that would improve access to and quality of care. After earning her MBA, she worked as an associate at APEX Venture Capital.

After moving to Seattle, she was instrumental in the development and founding of the Puget Sound Employers Healthcare Purchasers Co-op, and was a founder of Eagle Rehab physical therapy clinics and Radiant Research, one of the nation’s largest clinical trials companies in the country. Her involvement as a board member and supporter of Washington Special Olympics fulfilled a lifelong effort to help and support the disabled.

She is survived by her father, Jay ’49, mother Jacqueline, sister Robin, brother Brett ’84, husband David Huether, and daughters Christina Phillips and Mary Huether.

The Class of 1976



The class lost one of its most enthusiastic and best-loved classmates on Feb. 26, 2002, when Luke died in Des Moines, Iowa. A non-smoker his entire life, Luke died after a six-month battle with lung cancer.

A self-described “Republican activist,” Luke spent most of his adult life in politics. He served as the executive director of the Republican Party of Iowa, the district director for US Rep. Greg Ganske of Des Moines, and as George W. Bush’s state campaign director in the 2000 primary election. As Pres. Bush’s campaign director, Luke helped to secure a key victory in Iowa’s first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses.

At Princeton, Luke played varsity football and was a member of Tower Club and the Whig-Clio debate panel. Beginning in 1976, Luke shepherded the class’s 2001 Fund, through which the class contributed more than $1.3 million to the university at our 25th reunion.

A devoted husband and father, and a loyal Princetonian to the end, Luke is survived by his wife, Katie; his children, Luke, Anne, and Clare; his sister, Sherry; and by hundreds of classmates who loved him.

The Class of 1976


David Kim Litke ’81

Dave died from a heart attack on Oct. 29, 2002.

He grew up in Anaheim, Calif. He majored in biology and served as Tower Club social chairman. Dave attended the U. of California at Irvine Medical School, then took over his father’s internal medicine practice.

In the summer of 1981, Dave met Tammi, who was visiting from Australia. They were engaged five weeks later. This July, Dave and his beloved Tammi celebrated their 20th anniversary. Dave was a strong, loving and playful father to Sara (15), Jordan (13), and Ethan (10). Despite long hours, he was a constant presence in their lives.

Dave was the kind of doctor everyone thinks no longer exists — a brilliant diagnostician who took the time to make each patient feel special. Dave was president of the Orange County Medical Assn., and donated his time, energy, and enthusiasm to Princeton and to other professional and community organizations. A world without his wisdom, humor, and compassion will never be the same.

The class extends its deepest condolences to Dave’s wife and children; parents Martin ’53 and Mildred; sister Ann; and brother Matthew ’87.

The Class of 1981

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary