May 14, 2003: Memorials

A. Gilmore Flues ’26

Gil died Mar. 1, 2003, of congestive heart failure. He was 99. Born in Saginaw, Mich., and raised in Toledo, Ohio, Gil majored in English at Princeton and joined Tower Club. He later graduated from Harvard Law School.

A captain in the Army Air Force during WWII, Gil joined with the British in the battle of El Alamein. With the Office of Strategic Services, he headed a group of paratroopers aiding Yugoslav partisans and later directed OSS operations in Central Europe. He ended his Army career as a colonel.

For five years, Gil was assistant secretary of the Treasury Dept., where he was responsible for the Coast Guard, Customs, Secret Service, Bureau of Narcotics, and Bureau of Engraving and Printing. He also helped negotiate international trade treaties. Later he was with the DC law firm Leonard, Clammer, Flues & Redmon.

When he died, Gil was class secretary and vice president. Along with Henry Dodge ’32, Gil introduced Dick Kazmaier ’52 to Princeton.

Gil is survived by his wife of 55 years, Anne; two daughters, Jane F. Simchak and Marguerite F. “Molly” Strother; and four grandsons. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1926


Allen P. Mills ’30

Al died Dec. 22, 2002. He was 94. He came to Princeton from St. Paul’s School. At Princeton he majored in French and was a member of the band, Whig-Clio, and Quadrangle Club. Freshman and sophomore years he roomed with Dave Gordon.

After graduation, Al was in the insurance business and in the frozen foods industry. In 1934 he married Sarah Mortan, with whom he had a daughter, Sarah, and a son, Allen Jr. ’62. He is survived by Allen and Allen’s wife. To them, the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1930


Caspar Wister ’32

Cap, formerly of Leucadia, Calif., and Saranac Lake, N.Y., died Jan. 14, 2003, in Plattsburgh, N.Y. Cap graduated from St. Paul’s School. At Princeton, he was on the football team, was captain of the lacrosse team his senior year, was president of the St. Paul’s School club, and was the Ivy Club’s undergraduate governor. Freshman and sophomore years he roomed with Fran Hart, and junior and senior years with Fran, Buzz Roberts, and Lew Van Dusen.

After Princeton, Cap worked as vice president for the Girard Trust Corn Exchange Bank in Philadelphia for many years. During this time he also served as an officer in the Navy from 1943 to 1946.

Cap is survived by his wife of 27 years, Uta Schlegel Wister; and by five daughters from his first marriage to Cynthia Wallace: Elizabeth Walcott, Cynthia Welch, Mary Rawlins, Isabel Wister, and Ann Wister. He also is survived by a stepson, Oliver Cass; his brother, Wynne ’36, and wife Joan; his sister-in-law, Lillian Hirschbeck Wister; 12 grandchildren; two step-grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter. To them all, the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1932


Walter Lewis Mayo Jr. ’33

Walt, of St. Paul, Minn., died with his family around him Feb. 22, 2003, in Wethersfield, Conn. He was 91.

He prepared at Saint Paul Academy and attended Princeton and the U. of Minnesota. During WWII he served in the Army Air Corps in the Southwest Pacific. After the war, he joined the family enterprise, the Schuneman Department Store, and became vice president and chief financial officer. He retired after a merger with the Dayton Hudson Co. and was for several years the office manager of the Oppenheimer law firm.

Walt participated in many community and civic organizations, including the University Club of Saint Paul, the Saint Paul Athletic Club, and the Minnesota Club. He was pre-deceased by his wife, Ruth Herbert Mayo, in 1995, and by the loving companion of his later years, Helen Taylor. He is survived by two sons, David and Walter ’58; by three grandchildren, one of whom is Andrew ’90; and by five great-grandchildren. Walt will be missed by his family and by his classmates.

The Class of 1933


Dwight Kittelberger Parsons ’34

Dwight, a Harvard Law School graduate and practicing lawyer since 1938 — “with both appetite for, and great satisfaction from, that career,” as he once wrote — died Jan. 1, 2003, two weeks after his 90th birthday. Except for the years during WWII, when he worked at the Cleveland Ordnance District, he was associated with the Akron firm Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, pursuing a mostly corporate practice. He watched companies such as Roadway Express grow from a regional trucking business to a billion-dollar enterprise.

A great family man, Dwight traveled with his wife, Gretchen (Booth), and their children by freighter to Scandinavia in 1955, by station wagon to Wyoming in 1961, and by plane to Bermuda in 1963 and 1964. More recently he and Gretchen visited Mexico, Central America, and Italy.

Surviving, besides Gretchen, are a son, Dwight L. II (named for his grandfather); a daughter, Kathryn; and three grandsons. To them, we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1934


William Lee Sanders ’34

Bill Lee, an outstanding citizen of Columbus, Miss., where he was born and lived all his life, died Dec. 8, 2002, after a long illness. He was 90.

A former chairman of the Lowndes County Library board of trustees, Bill Lee was honored in 1963, when the Columbus-Lowndes County Swimming Assn. board of directors voted to name the new swimming pool adjacent to the city park the William Lee Sanders Swimming Pool. Bill Lee’s eldest son, Lee Jr., later became president of the Golden Triangle Swim League, and his namesake grandson, Will, broke state swimming records there in 1985.

Bill Lee, who as an undergraduate was known as “Coon,” was associated with the Sanders Oil Co. in Columbus, the marketers of petroleum products in northeast Mississippi and west-central Alabama. He also served two terms as president of the Columbus Chamber of Commerce and was “very active,” in his words, in the formation of the $2 billion Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway project completed in 1985, after 14 years of construction.

Bill Lee is survived by his wife of 62 years, Winifred (Winnie) Sargent; sons Harry, David, and Lee; and seven grandchildren.

The Class of 1934



Jim died Jan 19, 2001, in Wheeling, W.Va. He prepared for Princeton at Mercersburg Academy, and at Princeton majored in politics and was a member of Cannon Club. He got his LLB at West Virginia’s Law School in Morgantown in 1938. That same fall he was back in Wheeling, in private law practice.

Looking back on his two years in the Naval Reserve during WWII, starting in 1943, Jim admitted it broadened his résumé. After indoctrination at Norfolk, Va., he received orders to report to Tulagi, in the Solomon Islands, as an intelligence officer attached to a group of PT boats stationed there. Jim next investigated and wrote the official Navy report on the sinking of John F. Kennedy’s PT-109.

Jim resumed practicing law in Wheeling in 1945. He was chairman of West Virginia’s Racing Commission from 1957 to 1960, when he was elected judge, first judicial circuit of West Virginia. He stepped up to chief judge in 1975 and held that post until he retired in 1981. Survivors include his wife, Jessie Whitaker McClure, son James T. II ’73, daughter Louise R. Mackay, four grandchildren, and a sister, Barbara McClure Doty.

The Class of 1935



Jay died Oct. 14, 2000. He graduated from Episcopal HS in Alexandria, Va., and at Princeton majored in economics, played basketball, sang in the Glee Club, and authored the “On the Campus” column for PAW. After graduation he went to Wall St. with Wood, Struthers & Co., for whom he would work for most of his business career.

He enlisted in the Army during WWII, and by summer 1945 he was captain, Office of Strategic Services, and transferred to the Far East (China-Burma-India) command. Later that year he returned to Wood, Struthers as a security analyst. He became research vice president and an officer of the Pine Street Fund before retiring in 1971. Then he and his wife, Mary, moved from Irvington-on-Hudson, N.Y., to Chapel Hill, N.C. Jay indulged his fascination with science and gadgetry — interests he shared at every opportunity with schoolchildren.

These interests, plus a lifelong delight in discussing wide-ranging political issues, continued after the Smiths moved to the Quadrangle in Haverford Township, Pa. Mary survives, as do sons John III ’63 and David ’68; daughters Mary D. Ryerson and Linda M. Smith-Shearer; and nine grandchildren, including Stephen Smith ’84 and Peter Smith ’90.

The Class of 1935



Fred died July 22, 2001, at his home in Charlotte, N.C. He grew up in New Rochelle, N.Y., and attended high school there. At Princeton he majored in economics and went on to Fordham Law School. During WWII he served in the Transportation Corps and, when hostilities ended, held the rank of lieutenant colonel.

After the war, Fred became a certified public accountant and formed his own accounting practice. Six years later, he merged it with Arthur Young & Co. (now Ernst & Young). In 1974 he became a partner in Ernst & Young’s Charlotte office.

He also carried a busy civic workload in Charlotte. For years he was treasurer of its Christ Episcopal Church, president of its Estate Planning Council, president of the Charlotte chapter of the North Carolina Assn. of Certified CPAs, and a public arbitrator for the National Assn. of Security Dealers.

Fred married twice. His first wife, Carolyn Churchman, was mother of his sons Philip and Thomas. Both sons survive him, as do eight grandchildren, his second wife, Lera (Lee) Temple, and two stepchildren, John W. Crain and Cynthia Gaughan.

The Class of 1935


Clarence Dodge Jr. ’36

Junie died at home in DC, Dec. 28, 2002, of congestive heart failure. He was 88. He graduated from Washington Friends School. At Princeton he majored in economics, graduating cum laude.

His WWII record was impressive. He enlisted in 1941 as a first lieutenant, Field Artillery (Reserves), and retired in 1945 with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He served in France and Germany, and received the Legion of Merit and three battle stars.

Junie was chairman of Weaver Bros. Inc. of DC, from 1970 to 1988, which was one of the region’s largest privately owned companies engaged in mortgages, banking, real estate management, leasing, and insurance. Junie also was a director of several DC-area banks and business organizations. He was president of the Washington Board of Realtors and was named its Realtor of the Year. He was director emeritus of Decatur House Council, president of Chevy Chase Club, a member of the Burning Tree Club, Gulf Stream Golf Club, and the US Seniors’ Golf Assn.

He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Lalla Harrison Dodge; a daughter, Lalla Dodge Brutoco; a son, Clarence; and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1936


George Kenneth Willis ’36

Ken died Jan. 25, 2003, at his home in Cheshire, Conn. He was 90. He prepared at Exeter. At Princeton he majored in philosophy, was captain of the varsity hockey team, and was president of Cannon Club.

He was one of our class heroes as a member of our freshman football team. During the season’s final game, Ken kicked a field goal for a final score of 3-0 against Yale’s freshman squad. He and his teammates celebrated a great season’s record of being un-defeated, untied, and unscored upon.

Most of his long business career was as an executive of the High Standard Manufacturing Co. of Hamden, Conn., a producer of firearms. He was production supervisor and a member of the board of directors. He retired at 70, after a few years as a sales broker for one of New Haven’s largest iron and steel scrap companies.

Ken was a director of the New Haven youth hockey program, an intercollegiate ice hockey referee, and was a volunteer for Junior Achievement and the United Way. His wife, Harriet Toole, whom he married in 1937, predeceased him. He is survived by his son, Theodore, and two grandchildren, Cynthia Divock and Curt Willis.

The Class of 1936


Eugene Franklin O’Connor III ’37

Gene died Feb. 10, 2002, in Charlottesville, Va. He prepared at Choate and at Princeton majored in English.

Gene wrote in our 50th-reunion book, “Less than a month after senior year, with an assist from Whitney Darrow ’32, formerly of Princeton Press and then the vice president of publishers, Charles Scribner Sons, I went to work on the famous fifth floor headed by the all-time great editor Max Perkins. I met Hemingway, just back from the war in Spain, and Fitzgerald ’17, the first man I ever saw wear dark glasses indoors, for five impecunious but memorable years.”

During WWII he was both war correspondent and director of public information for the Red Cross and wrote a newspaper and guidebook to India for servicemen. In 1949, Gene was assigned to the American Embassy in Bangkok for six years, returning to DC as Information Agency chief of Far Eastern policy. During the Cold War, he served in Montevideo, Uruguay, and Munich, Germany.

Gene was an avid golfer at Royal Bangkok Sports Club, KYC Yacht Club of Blue Hill, Maine, and the Rio Mar and Vero Beach golf clubs. His survivors include his wife of 64 years, Nancy, daughter Ann McCarty, sons Harrison and Owen, five grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren. We offer our sympathy for the loss of this most interesting man.

The Class of 1937



Charlie died at his home in Wilton, Conn., Dec. 10, 2002, after a long illness.

He was born in NYC, which his father, George B. Agnew, represented as a New York state senator. Charlie came to Princeton from Haverford School in Haverford, Pa. He roomed alone in freshman year, with Doug Fairchild sophomore year, and with nine other classmates junior and senior years, five of whom survive: Norm Carter, Bill Coors, Bill Galey, Hank Gardiner, and John Hardy. He was a member of Cap and Gown Club.

Charlie served as a lieutenant in the Army in the South Pacific during WWII. Thereafter, he owned Pressure Molded Plastics in Bridgeport, Conn. He was a founder of Wilton Presbyterian Church and was a trustee of the Harvey School in Katonah, N.Y., and of Nursing and Home Care of Wilton.

Charlie’s wife, Jane, died in 1997. His brother, George ’32, died in Jan. 2003. Charlie is survived by a sister, Madelaine A. Dykema, brother David ’48, five sons, and 12 grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Stu died at home in Mamaroneck, N.Y., Nov. 15, 2002. He prepared at Poly Prep Brooklyn, and at Princeton he majored in economics.

He graduated from Harvard Law School in 1941, and and served from 1942 to 1945 as an assistant US attorney for the Southern District of N.Y. By 1948, Stu was secretary and director of Sun Chemical (now Sequa Corp. of NYC). Fifty-four years later, he was senior executive vice president, director, and general counsel of Sequa, and secretary of Sequa Foundation. He was described as an architect of the strategy that transformed Sequa from a small producer of printing inks to a multinational supplier of jet engine components and other technical products.

He was a member of the Princeton Club of NYC, the Beach Point Club of Mamaroneck, and Congregation Kol Ami.

Stu is survived by his wife of 58 years, the former Charlotte Wolf, daughters Joan Rosenthal and Elin Krinsly, and grandchildren Stephanie, Douglas, and Carolyn. The class extends sympathy to all of his family.

The Class of 1938



Es died June 16, 2002, at his family estate, Knole, in Old Westbury, N.Y. He was a grandson of Henry Phipps, the Pittsburgh steel magnate and partner of Andrew Carnegie. He came to Princeton from Deane School in Santa Barbara. During his four years at Princeton, Es roomed with his twin brother, Al. Es majored in philosophy and was a member of Tower Club.

According to a NY Times article: “He had an astonishing mind, alive with dynamism and originality that knew no horizons.” He was, among other things, a brilliant chess player, a discerning philatelist, a well-known orchid cultivator, as well as a collector of fine watches, books, and English antique furniture. He was a talented amateur tennis player, having once even bested Pancho Gonzales. For many years he was the world’s fly-fishing record holder for Atlantic salmon. He excelled in his financial affairs, successfully wildcatting in gas, oil, and other investments.

Es is survived by his brother, Alastair; his daughter, Serina Sanchez; his sons, Esmond Jr. and Peter; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1938


Fidelio Gillette Chamberlain Jr. ’39

Fidel died Feb. 21, 2003, of bone cancer, complicated by a stroke that closed his esophagus and resulted in a very painful last few days. Born in San Antonio, he lived there all his life except for his days at Lawrenceville, Princeton, and four years in the Naval Reserve as a lieutenant commander, largely with destroyer and cruiser duty in the Pacific.

Though he majored in electrical engineering, Fidel started his professional life as a banker and wound up in the life insurance business with Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co. A cousin of the Klebergs of the King Ranch, he was devoted especially to Illa Clement (whose mother was a Kleberg) and her husband, our classmate, Jim. With them he generally attended our major reunions. Fidel described himself as healthy and happily single with wonderful family and friends. He warmly supported the local arts institutions. More recently he took three trips to Europe to fly hot air balloons with the Bombard Society. He was a member of the San Antonio Golf Club and was a past president of The Order of the Alamo. He is survived by two nieces and many cousins, to all of whom we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


William James Flather III ’39

Bill died of emphysema Nov. 26, 2002, at his home in DC. After service in the Navy during WWII on ships in the Atlantic and Pacific, he left the Navy as a commander and joined his father in the insurance business, later forming his own company, Flather & Perkins, specializing in fine arts insurance. He involved himself in many organizations devoted to the preservation of art and antiques, including the Friends of Winterthur, the National Gallery of Arts Circle of Friends, and the collection of American antiques in the diplomatic reception rooms at the State Department. He became an expert in the field of Chinese export porcelain and assembled one of America’s finest collections of Imari. Other interests were gardening, golf, and trout fishing during summers in Wisconsin, where he helped in the preservation of the Brule River. A member of Pine Valley Golf Club, he wrote that he enjoyed golfing in local tournaments with classmate Ed Clark. He belonged to the Metropolitan Club and the Chevy Chase Club.

Surviving are Nancy, his wife of 61 years, daughters Susan and Penelope, and four grandchildren, one of whom is Jamie Sullivan ’00.

The Class of 1939


John Moller Gilbreth ’41

Jack died Christmas Day, 2002. A native of Montclair, N.J., he was the 10th of the 12 children of the famous industrial engineers, Frank and Lillian Gilbreth, about whom the books and movies Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes were written.

At Princeton, Gil was on the track team, managed the cross-country team, joined Dial Lodge, and majored in economics. He roomed with Bill Millar all four years.

He served in the Navy on minesweepers in the Pacific and was discharged as a radio technician in Dec. 1945. Joining McKinsey & Co. as a management consultant, Gil moved to Grace Line, and then retired after 22 years with Mobil Oil as industrial engineering manager of the international division.

Always active in his church, he was a member of the Society for the Advancement of Management, a Red Cross volunteer, and a member of the Nantucket Yacht Club and the Wharf Rat Club of Nantucket.

Predeceased by his wife of 47 years, Dorothy, Gil is survived by his sons, Peter and James; daughter Deborah Harrison; and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Dave died Nov. 1, 2002, in Bryn Mawr, Pa., of end-stage renal failure. Although ill for several years, Dave never lost the twinkle in his eye, his infectious chuckle, or his youthful optimism. Having prepared at Choate, he majored in English; he was on the editorial board of the Daily Princetonian and a member of Cloister Inn. After service during WWII as a lieutenant in the Navy on destroyer duty, he graduated from Harvard Law School. Dave’s professional life as a corporate real estate attorney included years at Scott Paper, at Morgan, Lewis and Brockius, and at Atlantic Richfield.

Dave had many interests beyond law: He was active for many years as a student at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. He had a large part in developing Ardsprings Condominiums, a low-income garden facility. Widely read, he was an enthusiastic sailor and loved to travel.

His was a loving, nonjudgmental, kind spirit who will be missed by family and friends. The class expresses its condolences to Virginia, his wife; his brothers, Sandy ’43 and Howland ’51; his son, Lindsey; his two daughters, Emily Ennis and Elizabeth F. Silver ’78; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1942



Jim died Jan. 24, 2003, at home in Daytona Beach Shores, Fla. He prepared at Woodberry Forest School in Virginia, where he was on the yearbook board. At Princeton he majored in architecture, was active in athletics, and was a member of Tiger Inn. During WWII, Jim piloted a B-24 Liberator bomber (named Liberty Belle) in the European theater and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal. His hair-raising experiences as a downed airman rescued by partisans behind enemy lines in Croatia are recounted in Goodbye, Liberty Belle (Wright U. Press, 1993) by his son, John I. Merritt III ’66, a former PAW editor. While in flight training, Jim married Jonnie Frances McBay from Waco, Tex. Their marriage of almost 60 years exemplified a beautiful relationship, a delight to behold at our reunions.

Jim had a distinguished career in real estate development; he had retired as CEO of Bellemead Development Corp. [Rutherford, N.J.] and had served on several business- oriented boards, including Passaic Valley Citizens Planning Assn.

A lifelong enthusiastic golfer, he was a member of the Halifax [Fla.] Country Club and Montclair [N.J.] Golf Club. He twice shot his age at 78. To Jonnie, son Jim, daughter Kay McCrosky, two granddaughters, and two great-grandchildren, the class expresses its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942


Alfred T. Whatley ’44 *52

Al died July 20, 2002. He came to Princeton from Fountain Valley High in Denver, Colo. He majored in physical chemistry and, after service in the Army, including 16 months in the Pacific, received his AB in 1948 and his PhD in 1952. At college he was a member of Tiger Inn, along with his roommate, George Lawry.

His life’s work was in atomic research and in kinetic and reaction mechanisms. Hanford Works, Advance Propulsion, Martin Co., and Edgerton, Germeshausen & Grier were some of his employers. He served as executive director of the Western Interstate Nuclear Board. He always had an interest in the outdoors, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, and retirement in Breckenridge, Colo. He developed a ranch with a championship golf course and outdoor-living facilities. He is survived by his four children, to whom the class tenders its condolences.

The Class of 1944


Rufus Barringer ’45

Rufe died Nov. 17, 2002, after a courageous battle with a chondrosarcoma.

Rufe graduated from Episcopal High in Alexandria, Va., and followed his brother Minor ’42 to Princeton. He joined Ivy and played varsity football and lacrosse. With the large ROTC contingent, Rufe was commissioned in field artillery at Ft. Sill in 1944, and sent to the Pacific with the 24th Infantry Division. Returning to Princeton, Rufe received a degree in history in 1947, followed by a law degree from the U. of Virginia in 1950. He practiced marine law briefly in New York before becoming an insurance broker, first in NYC, and then in West Hartford, Conn., where he founded Barringer and Williams, specializing in nationwide insurance for the ski industry.

Rufe and his wife of 52 years, the former Charlotte (Sharlie) Perry, spent their retirement years in Lyme, Conn., where Rufe devoted his energies to land conservation and civic affairs. Rufe was an active member of the Cruising Club of America and enjoyed sailing along the coasts of Newfoundland and Labrador. In addition to Sharlie and Minor, he is survived by daughter Susan, sons Paul and Hoyt, and five grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to the family on the loss of a valued classmate.

The Class of 1945


Phinehas Walter Louis Chrystie ’45

Phin died June 5, 2002, in Plantation, Fla., of cancer. He entered Princeton from Darrow and was with us for only a year, departing early to enlist in the Army Air Corps. He was commissioned as a 13-17 pilot in the Eighth Air Force. His plane was shot down, and he was a prisoner of war for almost a year. Phin married the former Margaret Shanahan in 1948, and worked in management at Trans World Airlines and at Pan American Airways in DC. He moved to Plantation in 1964, where he worked in commercial relocation.

Phin was an active and devoted participant in many community activities in Plantation. Most notably he volunteered as an advocate for abused and neglected children in court proceedings and worked with the State Department of Children and Families to see that counseling services were supplied. He was active with the Plantation Athletic League, serving on their board of directors and organizing sports in the community. In 1999 he was honored by the Miami Herald for his volunteer work. Phin is survived by Margaret, son Douglas, daughter Janet Wargula, four grandchildren, and by his sisters, Margo Chrystie and Maxine Flanagan. The class expresses its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945


Jean Alonzo Curran Jr. ’46

Jac died Mar. 10, 2003, at home in Easton, Md. Born in Fenchow, China, in 1924, he was the son of missionaries. After returning to Brooklyn, he attended South Kent School, in Connecticut. He joined the Army in 1943, and served in the China-Burma-India theater as an interpreter. After discharge in 1946, he graduated from Princeton in 1948, and received a master’s at Penn in 1951.

Married first to Catherine Gamble in 1947, Jac went to India with the State Department and CIA. In 1958 he attended the London School of Economics, then resided in London while attending to investments in Nigeria, the Middle East, Switzerland, and England. He continued financial business as a resident of France. In 1983 he moved to Rowayton, Conn., working in commercial real estate. He finally settled in Easton, Md., where he was active in environmental education.

Jac is survived by his second wife of 27 years, Camilla; the children of his first marriage, Constance McPhee ’78 and Peter; a brother; Ted, two stepdaughters; four grandchildren; and his first wife. The class extends its condolences to them all.

The Class of 1946


Morton William Adler ’48

Bill, a pioneer in the cable television industry, was born in Weston, W.Va., and died there Nov. 1, 2002. At Princeton, Bill majored in economics and belonged to Tower. He served in Germany in 1946 in the Radio Intelligence Division of the Army Security Agency.

Bill brought cable service to West Virginia and helped the growth of the fledgling industry nationwide. He was chairman of the National Cable Television Assn. from 1969 to 1970. He created and edited a 24-hour local news service for Weston TV Cable System, which had flood watch and severe weather warnings capabilities. Bill also wrote a weekly column for the Weston Democrat on Lewis County history. He was a longtime member of the Stonewall Jackson Hospital Board. Sen. Robert Byrd remarked, “Bill Adler taught by example the lessons of community and compassion, of dedication and determination, of spirit and strength of character.”

Our condolences go to his wife of 46 years, Delores, and to his four children: Bruce ’79, Ann, Morton, and Jonathon.

The Class of 1948



Clem died of a heart attack Jan. 21, 2003, while recovering from heart surgery. He came to Princeton from Abington [Pa.] HS on an NROTC scholarship and majored in basic engineering. He was a member of Campus Club and the Glee Club and graduated with honors. His roommates were Dick Freeman, Lew Thompson, and Bob Frey.

After graduation Clem served in the Navy for three years, including a tour of duty in Korea as operations officer aboard the USS Miller. He spent most of his business career in Philadelphia, including investment banking for Mellon Bank, Shawmut National Corp., Berwind Financial Group, and Griffin Holdings.

Clem married the former Lois Robinson in 1952, and was a devoted family man. He also found time to travel and was a gardener, miniaturist, and genealogist. He was active in the Great Valley School District, the Upper Main Line YMCA, and the Willistown Township Planning Commission, as well as being a member of Proclamation Presbyterian Church in Bryn Mawr, Pa.

To his widow, Lois; his son, Stephen ’76; his daughters, Susanne Thompson and Beth Martin; and his nine grandchildren, the class offers its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1951



Paul died of a massive heart attack June 21, 2002, at home in Leawood, Kan. Born Aug. 24, 1929, in St. Louis, he came to Princeton from Cleveland HS and was a chemistry major, Phi Beta Kappa. He was a member of Quadrangle Club. After graduation he did a year of graduate work at Harvard and then returned to Princeton to complete his PhD in chemistry in 1955. He and his wife, Jean, were married the previous year.

Initially he was a research chemist at DuPont, where he was involved in the production of Mylar and Teflon. His subsequent management positions included president of the graphic equipment division of Fairchild Camera, managing director of Gillette Industries in London, president of Braun, Canada Ltd., and corporate vice president of United Telecommunications in Kansas City. After he retired, Paul established a private consulting practice and a venture capital project. Paul and Jean also had been sponsoring a Tanzanian child through Compassion International. He is survived by Jean and their two children, Jennifer and Paul; by Paul’s wife, Sharon, and their three children, Patrick, Lucy Rose, and Paul Hugh. They have our sympathy on the loss of this dedicated family man and gifted chemist.

The Class of 1951



Art died of a stroke May 24, 2002, at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Still active in his law practice, he learned from his children that he had won his final case the day before he died, because his opponent had not appeared. His memorial service was in University Presbyterian Church, where he had served for years as church-school teacher and member of the board of deacons.

Art continued the tradition of public service set by his father, a three-term governor of Washington. A member of Dial Lodge, he graduated with honors in politics. He enlisted in the Coast Guard and served three years in the Pacific; he retired from the Reserve in 1980 with the rank of captain.

Art and Jane LeCocq were married in June 1953. After graduating in 1958 from the U. of Washington Law School, Art clerked for a year in the US Court of Appeals, ninth circuit. He then began a 43-year career in general and corporate law.

In addition to Jane, Art is survived by his children, Karin, Emily, and Arthur, and six grandchildren, to whom we offer our deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1952


Having survived major back surgery and a near-fatal blood disorder, Bill devoutly hoped to attend our 50th reunion. Many classmates remember his enthusiastic presence. At breakfast the Monday following, attired in his reunion shirt, he suffered a heart attack and died of ventricular fibrillation at Reston Hospital June 5, 2002. His memorial Eucharist at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church was attended by classmates Phil Hill, Mike Ely, Jerry Canter, Don Oberdorfer, Quincey Lumsden, George Towner, and Don McDonough. Bill was buried in his reunion jacket.

Bill’s experience at Princeton as news director of WPRU and football announcer (including for the 7-0 win over Dartmouth) prepared him for a remarkable career in television. Beginning as stage manager in 1953, he received three citations from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for directing/producing the TV coverage of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo 13,14, and 15 flights; Watergate hearings; the President’s resignation; and the Iran-Contra hearings. He also won a Peabody award.

Bill’s former wife, Helen, expressed special thanks to Warren McCabe and Barry Loper for their support and care of Bill. He is survived by Helen, son William III, daughter Elizabeth, and Skylar, the granddaughter upon whom he doted. The class extends to them our profound condolences.

The Class of 1952


Angelo Henry Dalto ’53

A credit to the legal profession and his community, Ange died of respiratory failure due to post-polio syndrome at his home in Piscataway, N.J., Jan. 16, 2003.

Born in Plainfield, N.J., Ange entered from North Plainfield HS. He was an officer in Elm, managed the Athletic Assn. office, and majored in history. He belonged to the pre-law society, and during his four years his dormmates were Bill Anderson, Sam Gelfman, Charlie Ringwalt, and Tiny Rogers. After Princeton, he graduated from Rutgers School of Law.

Ange married Barbara Ann Styler in 1956. When he died, he was the senior partner of his law firm. He was also the borough attorney in South Plainfield, chair of the board of Middlesex County College, a director of Suburban National Bank, and a real estate developer and manager. He enjoyed the arts, traveling, reading, and being with Barbara and his family at his second home in Florida. He was a doting father and husband and proud of his kin. We offer warm feelings to Barbara; sons John, Peter, and Michael; brothers Peter and Lee; and four grandchildren. Ange was involved with so many pursuits he said he would never retire, and he didn’t.

The Class of 1953


William Lasater McLeod Jr. ’53

Bill, an attorney, state legislator, and judge, died Jan. 19, 2003, in Lake Charles, La.

At Princeton he was an officer in Whig-Clio and participated in debate panels and the senate. He was a history major, a member of Campus Club, and graduated magna cum laude.

A graduate of LSU Law School, he began private practice in 1958. He served 23 years in the Louisiana House and Senate. In 1990, Bill was elected a district judge, and when he retired from the bench in 1997, resumed private practice. Bill volunteered for numerous charitable and civic causes. He sponsored changes in state government that continue to benefit Louisiana. His leadership, honesty, and independence earned him respect and admiration throughout the state.

He was an Eagle Scout and received the Silver Beaver award. He was an elder of the First Presbyterian Church. Bill enjoyed playing the bagpipes, the banjo, and fishing at his lake house with family and friends, including Herb and Nancy Hudnut. A loyal Princetonian, he requested that “Old Nassau” be sung at his memorial service.

Bill leaves his wife of 40 years, Cissie Qualls McLeod; daughters Sara Judson, Martha Livanec, and Ruth Rohs; brother James; and two granddaughters. They have our deep sympathy.

The Class of 1953


Joseph Ford Ringland Jr. ’53

Joe died Dec. 4, 2000, in St. Paul, Minn. He was 69. Joe did not stay in touch with the class and efforts to contact family members were in vain. Although he had not seen Joe in more than 30 years, roommate and fellow Elm Club member John Selover remembers that Joe had been president of Northwest Bank Corp. in Minnesota, and later was Minnesota state banking commissioner.

Born in Omaha, Joe came to Princeton from the Blake School and majored in classics, was associated with radio station WPRU, and played interclub hockey and basketball. Another Elm Club pal, Joe Atwater, recalls Joe’s camaraderie and that he spent much time with girlfriend Catherine Butler, whom, John recollects, Joe married between junior and senior year. Joe was predeceased by Catherine and brother James, and is survived by daughters Barbara and Margaret, and grandson Thomas. To them we extend our condolences.

The Class of 1953


Eugene J. McPartland h’54

The class and the university lost a loyal member Jan. 6, 2003, when Gene died of coronary failure following a brief illness.

Gene was a graduate of the Naval Academy, Class of ’56, and in the tradition of that institution, truly was an officer and a gentleman. After a stellar career in the Navy’s Civil Engineer Corps, Gene retired and joined Princeton’s administration in 1976 as general manager of plant. He became vice president for facilities in 1983, and served in that capacity with distinction until he retired in 1999. In those last 16 years, especially, Gene oversaw the university’s physical planning, engineering, construction, maintenance, real estate, and services departments, and presided over a period of extraordinary physical growth on the campus.

An honorary member of our class since 1983, Gene and his wife, Elaine, regularly attended Reunions and other class events. Since joining our class, Gene was a loyal dues payer and supporter of our AG efforts, remarking more than once how proud he was “to be associated with this place.” That sentiment ran both ways: We were proud to be associated with Gene. His many friends will miss him greatly.

Our sympathy goes out to his wife, Elaine; daughter and son-in-law Lynn and Michael Horan; and their children, Catherine and Brendan.

The Class of 1954


Donald Creighton ’57

Don died of cancer at home in San Pedro, Calif., Feb. 27, 2003; he was 67. Don grew up in Albany, N.Y. At Princeton he majored in philosophy, was a member of Dial Lodge, and earned varsity letters in cross-country and track. Following graduation and Army ROW active duty, the enthusiastic traveler boarded Delta Airlines in 1961, where he served in marketing for 30 years before he retired in 1991.

Always an avid outdoorsman, influenced by his father Julian ’26, Don climbed most of Colorado’s and many other 14,000-ft. peaks. He was very active in the Sierra Club, planning and leading tours and training tour leaders. Visiting high points and friends in each state was a passion in recent years.

Don was an unassuming, loving man with a high tolerance and respect for individual perspectives. Valuing people versus things, he enjoyed the company of others and fostered a sense of community among his many friends. This unselfish, giving man accepted death with the same equanimity he displayed in life.

Don leaves two grown children, Constance Clare and Jonathan; his stepmother, Elspeth Creighton; stepsisters Julia and Virginia; and a half-sister, Suzette Smith. To them and to his many friends, the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1957



Richard died Sept. 16, 2001. He entered Princeton with the Class of ’64. He worked as a busboy in Commons and joined Dial Lodge in the spring of his sophomore year. He left Princeton in 1962, after his sophomore year, and did not return until two years later, when he joined the Class of ’66. However, after one more year, Richard left Princeton again and did not return for his senior year.

Princeton’s records of Richard’s postcollege life are sketchy. It appears that at the time of his death he was a retired master sergeant in the Air Force, and that he lived most of his adult life in Miami. In 1992, Richard reestablished ties with Princeton through AG, and he was consistently generous until his death a decade later.

The Class of ’66 regrets his death and our loss of connection to this unique member of the Princeton family.

The Class of 1966



Andy died Nov. 9, 2002, in an automobile accident in Georgia while returning from vacation.

Andy was with the law firm of Bower, Sanger and Lawrence in NYC, specializing in medical malpractice defense. He received his law degree from NYU and began his career as an assistant district attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney’s office. For many years Andy volunteered as a reader for the New York Studio of Recording for the Blind, preparing audiotapes for blind lawyers and law students.

Andy valued his Princeton experience highly. He graduated magna cum laude with a major in philosophy and was a member of Dial Lodge. Andy was an alumni interviewer in Westchester County.

The organization that meant most to Andy was the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala., which he had recently visited. Its cause, fighting injustice and bigotry, and its chief counsel, Morris Dees, were Andy’s inspirations. Andy’s brother, Eric, is a member of the Class of ’69. To Eric, to Andy’s wife, Carole, and their two children, Jeremy and Jill, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1966


Michael Patrick Dusenberry ’68

Mike died of a stroke Dec. 13, 2002, in Monterey, Calif.; he was 56. He was born in Princeton, grew up in Huntington, N.Y., and prepared at Salisbury School. He followed his father, Charles ’34, grandfather, James ’10, and two uncles to Princeton, where Mike was on the cycling team. After graduation, he received a master’s from USC.

Mike was a writer who worked as a computer programmer to support himself and his family. He was a member of the Santa Cruz Poet Society, Writer’s Guild, and Carmel Mission Parish. Mike’s second novel, Master of the World, was published by Ashley Books in 1978. Two other novels, Two Fledglings and Mandates from Heaven, will be available later this year at His last work, The New Rapture (Meditations on Virida Gray), is a collection of poems. It is available at major online bookstores.

Mike is remembered by family and friends as a bright, kind, and gentle person with a wonderful sense of humor. He is survived by his wife, Connie, son Patrick, daughter Sarah, mother Jane, brother John, and sister Charlotte Lesser. To them, the class extends its profound sympathy.

The Class of 1968


Loren Butler Feffer ’84

Loren, of Aberdeen, N.J., died Jan. 20, 2003, of breast cancer; she was 40.

Loren came to Princeton from Rumson-Fair Haven Regional HS. At Princeton she majored in mathematics and was an active member of the women’s rugby team. She was a member of Tower Club and a regular midnight patron of the Princeton Diner.

After Princeton, Loren earned a master’s in mathematics from the U. of Michigan, and a PhD from the Committee for the Conceptual Foundations of Science at the U. of Chicago. She also studied at UC Berkeley, where she fell in love with Stuart Feffer. She was a lecturer in the Dept. of History and Sociology of Science at Penn, and earlier was a postdoctoral fellow at the IEEE Center at Rutgers. Her work has been published widely, and she was a member of the History of Science Society and the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science.

Most recently, Loren was an independent scholar and a violinist for the Monmouth Symphony Orchestra. She is survived by her husband, Stuart Feffer; her parents, Elliott and Betty Wheeling Butler; a brother, Edward; and a sister, Pamela. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1984

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary