June 4, 2003: Memorials

William R. Wheat III ’30

William died Mar. 4, 2003. He was 95. Born in Pittsburgh, he moved with his family to Sewickley, where his father built and operated the Sewickley Theater. Buck, as he was called by friends, graduated from Shadyside Academy, where he was captain of three varsity sports teams.

At Princeton, Buck roomed with Chuck Baton. However, for reasons unknown, Buck left Princeton during his freshman year. He took jobs as a seaman and traveled the world during a three-year period. He was at the Normandy landing in 1944.

Buck took over operation of the family theater when his father died in 1947, running it until he retired in 1970. He is survived by his daughter, Sally Ruffin; son William IV; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1930


John Randolph Bland Disbrow ’33

Johnnie died of pneumonia Dec. 2, 2002. He and good friends Art Calfee, Bill Durham, Frank Hammett, and Henry McIntyre prepared at St. Louis Country Day School, went to Princeton together, and were in Cottage. Johnnie’s daughter tells stories of pool games and geology field trips in a private rail car.

In 1939 Johnnie acquired the distributorship of a bottled-water company and moved to Milwaukee. At retirement age he sold the company and for a while took up real estate. As to hobbies, he was a “rehabber.” As a young boy, he and his two brothers built a wrap-around deck on a home high on a mountain in Colorado, where his family lived. He loved this work and tore out and put together in various degrees features of every house he ever lived in.

Johnnie is survived by his wife, Jessie Connett, who he married in 1936; a daughter, Carroll Disbrow; a son, John; and three grandchildren. He lived a happy life and will be missed by his many friends.

The Class of 1933


Thomas Francis Jackson ’33

Tom died in Bridgewater, N.J., Feb. 21, 2003. He was 90. He graduated from Princeton with a degree in chemical engineering and shortly thereafter joined the Food Machinery and Chemical Corp. in Carteret. His mana-gerial skills were based on his warm relationships with people. In 1955 he was promoted to FMC’s NYC office, where for 10 years he oversaw several plants. Through the charitable foundation set up by his parents, Tom was able to give support to many worthy causes in the Westfield, N.J., area. He managed this trust for a quarter of a century. Tom gave support to the YMCA as a trustee and as a record-breaking fundraiser. After he retired, Tom taught chemistry at the Pingry School. To improve his teaching skills, he earned a master’s in education at Rutgers in 1969.

Tom was wonderfully lucky to have married “Joady” Smith in 1939. She survives him. Tom passed his love of camping and canoeing to his son, Bart, a writer, and his love of music and history to his daughter, Joyce Wood, a lawyer. He has three granddaughters. Tom will be missed by many.

The Class of 1933


Harrison Howell Dodge Walker ’33

Toto, our Princeton track star, died at his home in Woollahra, Australia, Jan. 26, 2003. He was 92. After 39 years on the staff of National Geographic magazine, Toto retired in 1975 to the land of his wife, Sheila Gordon Anderson, the daughter of an Australian brigadier general. She predeceased Toto by several years.

After graduation, Toto set his cap for a job with National Geographic but was told he needed more experience. He spent the next three years bicycling around Europe; the stories he sent back won him a position. He covered assignments all over the globe. One time, in Australia on a project to study aboriginal culture, he was separated from his party, lost for several days, and was the object of a military search and rescue mission. His refinement caused him to be dubbed “the parfit gentil knight” by the magazine’s staff, and the secretarial staff voted that they would most like to be on a desert island with him. After he retired, Albert Keidel’s son and Tremaine Billings’s grandson visited him. Toto had a magnificent white beard, and they found him entertaining and amusing. Though we saw little of him in his travels, we will miss his presence.

The Class of 1933


Franklin Bills Wilson Jr. ’33

Bud, known by his family and friends as a scholar and a gentleman, and loved for his postcards in Latin to his family, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 13, 2003, at his home. He was 91. Bud prepared at Pawling School. At Princeton he majored in philosophy. He enjoyed rooming with José Ferrer.

After graduation he worked with Pratt Reed and Sons, manufacturing gliders during WWII. After he retired, he continued to work part time with the Essex Boat Works as parts manager. He was well known for his horticultural skills and supplied libraries in his hometowns with daily flowers. He wrote poetry and jazz and enjoyed ice hockey, surf casting, and golf. He loved to read; the night before he died, he read his PAW.

Bud married Amy Konecke, who predeceased him. He is survived by five children: Barbara, Deirdre, Robert, Quentin, and Roger, 12 grandchildren, and 11 great-grandchildren. There will be many who will miss Bud and his versatility very much.

Class of 1933


Frederick Warner Hamilton ’34

Fred, our class treasurer since 1979 and former vice president of the Travelers Insurance Co., died Mar. 2, 2003. A resident since 1991 of the Duncaster retirement community in Bloomfield, Conn., where he was the 8-ball pool champ in 1995, he was 91.

Fred was born in the Noah Webster House in West Hartford and lived there for more than 20 years after his marriage. He served as treasurer of the Webster Foundation and Historical Society for 17 years. In 1990 he was treasurer also of the Princeton Alumni Assn. of Central Connecticut. During WWII he was a Navy lieutenant aboard the USS General M. B. Stewart, and he recalled later “with pleasure the many wonderful men I came to know.”

Fred is survived by his wife of 64 years, Jane (Campbell); a son, Peter ’62; a daughter, Katherine, and her husband, Thomas Fleming ’69 (another daughter, Jane, died in an automobile accident in 1966 at the age of 23), and seven grandchildren, including Jane ’00 and Elizabeth Fleming ’01.

The Class of 1934


A. Bayard Dod Jr. ’36 *38

By, of Apple Valley, Calif., died May 1, 2002. He prepared at the Hun School and Carteret Academy. At Princeton he majored in electrical engineering and was a member of Key and Seal Club. His father, A. Bayard Dod, was a member of the Class of 1900, and his grandfather of the Class of 1857.

By’s professional career was devoted to Phelps Dodge Copper Products Corp., from which he retired in 1979. He was a member of several professional organizations. His hobbies were sailing, photography, computers, and growing orchids.

By was predeceased by his wife, Jane C. Wilkin, whom he married in 1950. He is survived by sons Brian and Barry, daughter Ann Edwards, and eight grandchildren.

The Class of 1936


Norman Hovey Hayes ’36

Norm died Feb. 1, 2003. He attended the Tabor Academy and graduated from Lawrenceville School. He entered Princeton with the Class of ’35. At Princeton he majored in art and archaeology and was a member of Key and Seal Club.

Norm served four years in the Army in the DC area, rising from the rank of private to captain. He retired as a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force Reserve.

In 1939 he joined the family business, N. P. Hayes Co., hardware merchants in New Bedford. It was founded by his grandfather in 1880. After his father’s death, Norm ran the business until it closed in 1996.

He served the Unitarian Church of Fairhaven, Mass., as president of its board and on several committees. He was for many years treasurer of the New Bedford Child and Family Services. He also served on the board of the New Bedford Port Society.

His wife of 55 years, Marlene Asmussen, predeceased him. He is survived by a son, Grenville ’69, daughters Annie Hayes, Karen Althammer, and Susan Hayes, and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1936


Raymond Newman Hockenberry Jr. ’36

Ray died Nov. 21, 2002. He prepared at Bronxville [N.Y.] HS. At Princeton he majored in philosophy, was student director of the Glee Club, and a class song leader. He was a member of Quadrangle Club.

During WWII, Ray served in DC in the office of the assistant chief of air staff for plans at headquarters of the Army Air Corps, achieving the rank of major and receiving two Army commendation awards.

After Princeton, Ray spent a year as a social director for a cruise line, then went into advertising for the Ladies’ Home Journal and the New York Daily News. He next served as executive assistant to J. C. Penney, founder of the J. C. Penney Co. Later, Ray was a public relations executive for IBM and for the New York World’s Fair.

Ray is survived by his sons John ’69 and James; daughter Hope Yelich; John’s wife, Nina Levitt, and their son, Mark (who has been accepted into the Class of ’07); and Hope’s husband, Nolan Yelich, and their children, Scott, Tammy, Anna, and Tom. Ray was a loyal Princetonian and will be missed.

The Class of 1936


Edward Lillo Crain Jr. ’39

Lillo died Jan. 18, 2003, in Houston, Tex., where he was born and lived all his life. After premed at Princeton, he earned his medical degree at the U. of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. In 1943 the Navy sent him to the Pacific as a medical officer in the Marine Corps, where he worked on the battlefield under fire to help as many wounded as possible, even though he was himself wounded. He was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, as well as the Asia Pacific Medal and the Victory Medal for courage under fire. Returning to Houston he opened his 50-year medical practice, caring deeply for his patients, and loved by all he cared for. He served as teacher and board member of medical and educational institutions in and around Houston. After he retired he served eight years as attending physician to Aramco; then, while in a wheelchair, he donated services to San Jose Clinic.

Lillo is survived by his wife, Fredricka, daughters Elizabeth and Annie Vive, sons Danny and Gene, 10 grandchildren, and Fredricka’s daughters, Dianne and Carolyn.

The Class of 1939


Brooke Roberts ’39

Brooke died of cancer Feb. 23, 2003, in Bryn Mawr, Pa. He had been a leading vascular surgeon for more than four decades at the hospital of the U. of Pennsylvania. Except for service in the Army Medical Corps from 1944-1946, he spent his entire career in the university’s department of surgery. Working at the frontiers of vascular surgery, a previously undeveloped area, he helped perfect the surgical treatment of aortic aneurysms, obstructed femoral and carotid arteries, and later actively pushed the development of angioplasty as a less invasive treatment for vascular disease. He trained two generations of vascular surgeons while holding positions of leadership in countless local and national medical societies. In 1982 he received the Strittmatter Award given annually by the Philadelphia County Medical Society to the physician who has made the greatest contribution to Philadelphia medicine. The U. of Pennsylvania named its surgical research laboratories for him and has an endowed surgical chair in his honor.

Anna Ingersoll Roberts, Brooke’s wife of 58 years, survives, as do their three sons, Jared ’68, Andrew ’70, and Thomas ’75, and seven grandchildren. With them we give thanks for the life Brooke shared with us.

The Class of 1939



After a long illness, Stew died Feb. 20, 2003. Most of his life was spent in the area of his birth, Short Hills, N.J. He prepared at the Hill School. At Princeton he majored in psychology, was captain of the freshman baseball team, and lettered in baseball during his upperclass years. His club was Ivy.

During WWII he was a lieutenant in the Army Air Corps, serving in the European-African-Middle Eastern campaign as a pilot forward artillery observer. After the war, Stew joined his father at the Bank of Manhattan, where Stew became senior vice president at the merged Chase Manhattan Bank. He was named president of Alpha Portland Cement in 1964, and later president of the Garden State Bank of Hackensack, N.J.

Stew was active in New York-area civic affairs: board member of the Greater New York Boy Scout Council and the N.Y. Convention and Visitors Center, secretary of St. Luke’s Hospital, trustee of the Grolier Foundation, and president of the board of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield.

He is survived by his wife, Robin; four children, Beverly Baker Vincent, John III, Charles, and Elizabeth Baker Karafa; three stepchildren; two sisters; 14 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. To them all, his classmates extend their sympathies.

The Class of 1940


Robert M. Brandin ’40

Bob died Feb. 6, 2003, after a sudden illness. Not long before, a PAW class notes column detailed his pleasure in being active, enjoying his life with his family, and savoring a successful diplomatic career. His wife, Barbara, died one day after him in the same hospital in Peterborough, N.H.

Bob prepared at Southside HS in Rockville Center, N.Y. At Princeton he majored in English, was on the freshman and JV football teams, and was a member of Tower Club.

After Pearl Harbor, he entered the State Department, where he performed consular and economic warfare work at the American Embassy in Madrid, along with special intelligence missions throughout southern France.

Postwar, Bob attended Columbia U. under the State Department’s advanced economic study program. There, he met and married Barbara Lockton. His career with major responsibilities in American embassies in Europe and his work as political adviser to two supreme allied commanders were detailed in the recent class notes column.

After he retired, Bob was active in civic groups while lecturing in history at Franklin Pierce College and enjoying the occasional game of tennis. He is survived by daughter Robin, sons Christopher, Eric, and Raymond, and six grandchildren. To them all, his classmates extend their sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940



Dick died Dec. 3, 2002, of pancreatic cancer in Hillsboro Beach, Fla. After a career in engineering design, he retired to Florida with his wife, Caryl. She predeceased him.

Dick attended Choate School, and at Princeton, majored in mechanical engineering and was a member of Court Club. Although he had earned a commission in the Naval Reserve in our junior year, he was permitted to graduate before his assignment to active duty. His responsibilities included supervision of ship repair and construction in the European theater. Dick was honorably discharged as a lieutenant.

Most of Dick’s professional life was with Long Island Lighting Co., where he engaged in design and installation of major components of its power plant. He retired in 1978 as project manager.

Dick loved the sea and playing golf. To Dick’s daughters, Linda Wood Consolla and Joan Livingston Jefferys, and to his grandchildren, Ian and Sarah, the class expresses its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942


John McKibbin Bigelow ’43

John died in Fontana, Wis., Sept. 30, 2001; he was 79. He prepared for Princeton at St. Paul Academy in St. Paul, Minn. After graduation from Princeton in Jan. 1943, John spent three war years on LST 139 as a Navy lieutenant.

Returning to civilian life, John turned to writing, a skill honed at the Nassau Sovereign, founded by Malcolm Forbes ’41. A move to Alaska for a stint with the Anchorage News was followed by another to NYC, where he worked for his old friend at Forbes magazine until 1951. A “start-over” trek to Chicago with the A. B. Dick Co. resulted in a 35-year association. John raced sailboats from the age of 12, winning two Rainbow Nationals at Lake George and the Sonar class finale just days before his death.

John’s first wife, Madeleine Sheridan, died in 1957. He then married Merle Hanson in 1958. John was the proud father of six children, and the equally proud grandfather of 14. To them all, we extend our sympathy.

The Class of 1943


Warren Eugene Taylor ’43

Gene died in his sleep Dec. 30, 2002; he was 81. An Ohio native, he moved east to attend prep school and Princeton. On campus he was a member of Dial Lodge, captained the wrestling team, and was an eastern intercollegiate champion. Gene graduated with honors in economics. During WWII he served as commanding officer of a minesweeper.

Postwar, Gene chose reinsurance for a career at Insurance Co. of North America in Philadelphia. In 1963, Gene moved to Seattle to join John F. Sullivan & Co. as vice president; he would later become president, CEO, and chairman. In later years, Gene founded his own firm, Taylor Reinsurance.

His prep school and Princeton roommate, Loo Looloian, characterized Gene as “a generous, fair, and compassionate man, a lifelong friend who will sorely be missed.” Gene is survived by Gloria, his second wife to whom he was married for 33 years, daughter Cynthia Day, son Thomas, three stepchildren, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. To them all, we extend our condolences.

The Class of 1943


James B. Dawson ’49

Jim died Nov. 12, 2002. He was 76. He is identified in our Freshman Herald as Bernard Kazlauskas, but changed his name shortly after graduation. He came to Princeton from service as a Navy Seabee. He was a member of Terrace Club.

After graduation he became a self-employed stockbroker and spent his entire career in Montgomery County, N.J. He was president and a member of Montgomery Township Volunteer Fire Co. 2 and also served as a volunteer for the Medical Center at Princeton fundraising department.

Jim is survived by his wife, Lucille; two sons, Peter and Matthew; two daughters, Susan Carril and Sally O’Grady; and six grandchildren. The class extends its sincere sympathy to them all on their loss.

The Class of 1949



Dave died of cancer Nov. 17, 2002. Born and raised in Cranford, N.J., he came to Princeton from Cranford HS. He was in the ROTC, majored in basic engineering, was a member of Campus Club, and roomed with Dick Loveland.

In 1954, after serving as an artillery officer in the Korean conflict, he married Jean Kercheval Carr. For six years he was with Pratt Read and Co., and then had a laboratory furniture business. In 1965, Dave moved to Maine to join the JM Huber Corp., where he remained until retiring in 1991 as president of the timber and minerals division.

His passion for boats, especially sailboats, began in summers spent on Long Island, in Maine, as a boy, and continued for the rest of his life. An active member of the Portland Yacht Club, he raced extensively in local and national championships. He also enjoyed woodworking, building everything from fine furniture to boats.

Dave is survived by his wife, Jean, their children, Leigh Palmer, Edward (Ned), and Ann Bilodeau, seven beloved grandchildren, and his brothers, William and Alan. Home is the sailor, home from the sea.

The Class of 1951



Peter died of brain cancer Sept. 17, 2002, at home. He came to Princeton from St. Paul’s School, majored in the Woodrow Wilson School, roomed with Rufus Finch, Francis Gowen, Robert Poor, and Joseph Werner, and was a member of Ivy Club.

His original intent after graduation had been to go into the CIA, but in 1952 a runaway truck in DC smashed his legs, ending those plans. A former chairman of the Stroh Brewing Co., Peter was, along with Peter Coors and August Busch, one of the last great family brewers in the country. In 1999, shortly after he retired, the company sold its breweries and brands to Miller and Pabst.

A philanthropist and conservationist, Peter was active in the Urban League and the local branch of the NAACP, but he is particularly remembered in Detroit for his work on river renovations, especially Stroh River Place and the American Heritage River Initiative.

Peter is survived by his wife, the former Nicole Fauquet-Lemaitre, their sons, Pierre and Frederic, a grandchild, and his brother, Eric. Princeton memorials may be made to the Environmental Institute, Guyot Hall.

The Class of 1951



Jim died in Scarborough, Maine, July 6, 2002. He prepared for Princeton at the Millbrook School and entered with the Class of ’51, but was called to active duty during the Korean War and graduated with the Class of ’53. He was a history major, a member of Cap and Gown, an editor of the Daily Princetonian, and roomed with Woozy Supplee senior year.

Jim’s entire career was spent in NYC with J. P. Morgan & Co., which became Morgan Guaranty Trust Co. in the 1959 merger. He rose to vice president of corporate giving, and was particularly active in corporate gifts to educational institutions and to the arts. Outside work he was on a number of boards — Cap and Gown, Hurricane Island Outward Bound School, Millbrook School, New York Botanical Garden, and the Maine Coast Heritage Trust. It was the last for which he had the greatest passion, preserving islands and areas along Maine’s coast.

Jim was single and left three brothers, George ’53, John ’57, and Robert, and a nephew, Philip ’81. They have our sympathy.

The Class of 1951



Tony died of a heart attack Oct. 12, 2002. He was born in Buffalo, N.Y., the son of B. F. Wilkinson ’26, and came to Princeton from Ridley College, in Ontario. He was a political science major, a member of Key and Seal, and advertising manager of the Nassau Lit. His roommates were James Kittelberger, John Hagman, David Klipstein, Calvin Rand, Henry Montgomery, and Wells Eighmy. While in the Army Counter Intelligence Corps he received a BS in foreign service from Georgetown. In Dec. 1953 he married Mary Elizabeth Casten, who died in Jan. 2000.

Tony began his banking career in 1960 at Security First National Bank. As senior vice president of Lloyds Bank California, he was one of the highest-ranking blind men in the banking community. He was chairman of the board of McNulty Broadcasting Corp., which owned radio stations in Northern California. Tony is survived by four children, Elizabeth W. Allingam, Laura W. Sinton, Burton III, and Charles; seven grandchildren; brother Alan ’58; and a sister, Patricia McIntosh.

The Class of 1951



George died of complications from aggressive lung cancer Jan. 10, 2003. His memorial service was held at Trinity Church, in Southport, where a parishioner noted that “it had not been so full in living memory.” In addition to tributes from female politicians George had encouraged, son Jay ’79 and classmate Bruce Berckmans gave eulogies. Other classmates attending included Berlind, Bolster, Carrigan, Clutz, Collins, Cowles, Ellis, Gowen, Handelman, Ted Kennedy, Kreitler, Loper, McLean, Newlin, Parrish, Pivirotto, Thomas, Wilmerding, and Winton.

George’s life mirrored his favorite quotation from Susan B. Anthony: “Failure is impossible.” President of his class and school at Lawrenceville, he served our class as president, vice president, and reunion chairman. After separation from the Army with service in Korea, he earned an MBA from Harvard, and began a 33-year career with Dancer, Fitzgerald, and Sample, retiring as executive vice president. In 1988 he founded the organization 50/50 by 2020, which works to achieve gender parity in elected office, especially at the state and federal level. His commitment produced 400 letters to the editor, 265 speaking engagements, and countless meetings. For his work, George received the Eleanor Roosevelt Award from the Connecticut chapter of NOW, and the Good Guy Award from the National Women’s Political Caucus. His final letter to the NY Times, dated Jan. 5, 2003, noted a story on the all-male Republican leadership in the new Congress.

George is survived by his beloved Jane, children George Jr. ’79 and Diane, sister Georganna Dickson w’49, brother Jim, stepchildren Jeffrey Pratt and Susan Pratt, and seven grandchildren.

The Class of 1952


William Woodward Bancroft ’53

Bill died of cancer Jan. 18, 2003, in Locust Valley, N.Y. He joined us from Middlesex, played hockey for four years, and roomed with fellow teammates and Cottage Club-mates Jinx Cleaves and Bill Gall. They were outstanding performers on the ice for the Pentagonial League champs. After graduation Bill tried advertising for awhile, but horse racing was in his blood. His grandmother owned 1955 Preakness and Belmont Stakes winner, Nashua, and 1967 Preakness and Belmont champion, Damascus.

In 1971 he and his brother, Tom, established their own thoroughbred stable, Pen-y-Bren, and produced winners around the Belmont and Saratoga tracks. Four years ago, Bill suffered a stroke, but with typical determination, rehabilitated himself so that he could even drive a car. Then cancer struck, but Tom said he kept his mischievous spirit and sense of humor until the end. We send condolences to his wife, Sarah; sons William Jr., Montgomery, and Frederic; daughter Elizabeth Peterson; brother Thomas Jr. ’51; and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1953


Richard Anthony Payne ’55

Rich died in Raleigh, N.C., of pancreatic cancer Mar. 3, 2003. At Princeton he was a member of the band, Glee Club, Terrace Club, Phi Beta Kappa, and a cartoonist for the Daily Princetonian. After receiving his MBA from Harvard, Rich enjoyed a 40-year career in marketing, advertising, and promotion — the last 16 as owner of two promotion businesses. Along the way, he had three books published. In retirement, Rich and his wife, Judy h’55, toured the US in their motor coach, with Rich writing for RV magazines.

Rich loved Princeton and served as reunion chairman, class secretary, president of the Princeton Club of Greater Norfolk, and on the Alumni Council. Rich was also on the board of directors of the Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce and Old Dominion U. Foundation. Rich is survived by Judy and sons Bryan, Kent, Michael, Douglas, and Todd, plus four grandchildren. To all of them, we extend our condolences.

The Class of 1955


A. Bruce Neuman ’63

Our class lost one its finest when Bruce died of cancer Sept. 10, 2002, in Media, Pa. Bruce was born and raised in Philadelphia, and graduated from Haverford School, where he acquired the nickname Zoom. At Princeton he majored in English and was a member of the special program in American civilization. His roommates were Larry Hill, Bruce Hermelee, Steve Klausner, Steve Grotsky, and Lyn Goldberg. After graduation, Bruce attended the U. of Miami Law School and became a criminal trial lawyer who was known nationally for his trial skills and ability in the courtroom.

Waiting until he met the perfect woman, Bruce finally found Connie, and they were married last year. Bruce was loved by everyone for his easygoing manner, his sense of humor, his casual perspective on life, and his unassuming nature. Bruce was an avid sports fan and a Philadelphia Eagles devotee. He is survived by Connie, with whom he had a deep and loving relationship, and to whom the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1963


Bruce Fairfax Wood ’78

A construction accident took Bruce’s life Jan. 19, 2002. He came to us from Trinidad, then returned home carrying the friendships and love of Princeton that grew over four years. Bruce belonged to Tiger Inn, anchored Blair Tower, and was a spirited member of the lightweight crew. He was a leader and role model for many teammates and friends, exemplifying focus, integrity, and dedication.

In addition to his work as an engineer, Bruce loved and continued the study of history and the practice of philosophy. He cared passionately about community and development, founding and chairing the Arima Life Center, serving disadvantaged teens. He sponsored an army of musicians in villages all over Trinidad. He ministered to prisoners, found jobs for hundreds, restored the environment, built schools and clinics. He gave of himself and his heart without limit.

At his memorial, Bruce was likened to a diamond: multifaceted, with all sides different, all perfect, and all beautiful. With his beloved wife of 21 years, Sandra, and with their four children, the class shares sorrow at losing a good friend far before his time.

The Class of 1978



Avery died Sept. 26, 2002, after suffering for many years from severe depression and an eating disorder. Friends from her days at nursery school through Princeton attended a memorial service, where one of her closest friends described Avery as “special, brilliant, funny, caring, witty, warm, fun, thoughtful, and wise.” She loved English literature, Latin poetry, movies, fashion, and travel. We will remember Avery for her outgoing personality, sense of humor, and outspoken intelligence. Her friends might like to recall one of her favorite poems by Catullus:

“Multas per gentes et multa per aequora vectus/ advenio has miseras, frater, ad inferias/ ut te postremo donarem munere mortis/ et mutam nequiquam alloquerer cinerem./ quandoquidem fortuna mihi tete abstulit ipsum./ heu miser indigne frater adempte mihi/ nunc tamen interea haec, prisco quae more parentum/ tradita sunt tristi munere ad inferias,/ accipe fraterno multum manantia fletu/ atque in perpetuum, frater, ave atque vale.” (Translation found at: http://aphrodite. jaze.net/~catullus/text2/e101.htm)

The Class of 1998

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary