October 8, 2003: Memorials

F. Chandler Moffat ’27

Chan died Dec. 14, 2002, in Westport, Conn. He prepared for Princeton at Erasmus Hall HS and Mercersburg, where he was a member of the Irving Literary Society. At Prince-ton he was a manager of the lacrosse team, and a member of Whig Hall and Elm Club.

During World War II, he put in 10 hours a night inspecting and testing machine tools at a defense plant in addition to working four or five hours a day at his life insurance career, initially with Aetna in Albany and then with his father’s firm, Moffat and Thomas. At his retirement in 1975, he was president of the Moffat Insurance Agency. Chan was active in the life of his community as a volunteer for the local YMCA, the United Fund, the Red Cross Blood Bank, and the United Methodist Church. He enjoyed gardening, watching baseball and basketball, and traveling through the US, Canada, Europe, and Mexico.

Chan’s first wife, Louise, died in 1962, and he married his brother’s widow, Gladys, in 1963. Survivors include Gladys; a son, Charles; a stepdaughter, Carolyn; three grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. The class extends condolences to Chan’s family.

The Class of 1927


David Brown McElroy ’30

Dave died May 12, 2003; he was 95. He was born in St. Louis Mar. 17, 1908, and prepared at St. Louis Country Day School, where he was on the football, basketball, and track teams.

At Princeton he roomed alone his first two years and with W.D. Barfield the last two years. He was a member of Cottage Club.

During his business career, Dave worked for National City and J.P. Morgan. In 1938 he married Marjorie Le Boutillier. They had a son, John. During WWII, he worked for Pan-American in West Africa, then for Panagra in western South America. His brother was Finley Mc Elroy ’27. He also had two sisters. Dave spent his last years in retirement at Hobe Sound.

The class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1930


John Frederick Carspecken ’36

Fred died Apr. 26, 2003, at his home in Laguna Beach, Calif. He was salutatorian of his class at Mercersburg Academy. At Princeton he majored in the classics and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. In 1950 he received a PhD in classical philology from Harvard.

From 1939-41 he taught English and Latin at Mercersburg. During WWII, he served almost five years, rising in rank from private to major in the infantry and then in the Air Force. After the war, Fred taught in the English department at Yale from 1946-49 and in the classics department from 1949-52.

A devoted son, he took care of his aged parents in Morgantown, W.Va. from 1953-75. While there he was an enthusiastic member of the Rotary Club and wrote its 50-year history (1918-68). In the early 1970s, he published some sonnets and short stories, and introduced a piano recital on the local PBS station. He also served as a director of the First National Bank, now known as Huntington Bank, which his father founded in Morgantown.

Fred retired to Laguna Beach in 1977. He leaves no survivors.

The Class of 1936


Richard Lee Crist ’36

Dick died Mar. 30, 2003; he was 89. He prepared at Mercersburg Academy. At Princeton he majored in biology and was a member of Court Club.

After Princeton he went to DC to work with the FBI. He also attended George Washington U. Law School, graduating in 1940, and was admitted to the DC bar. In 1943 he moved to Cleveland and worked there in the magnesium industry until retiring in 1981.

Dick is survived by his wife of 66 years, Jeanne Bilque Crist; daughters Mary Anne Elbon, Caron Colister, and Holly Herrick; a sister, Mildred Hunter; eight grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1936


Franklin Archibald Dick ’37

Frank Dick died Mar. 7, 2003, at Heron Point in Chestertown, Md.; he was 89.

Frank came to Princeton from Lawrence-ville, where he was captain of the swim team. He later served on Lawrenceville’s board of trustees. He came from a family of Princetonians, including his uncle W.W. Leonard 1896; brothers Edward A. Griffith ’49 and William L. Griffith ’51; and many cousins. He was a member of Colonial Inn and Triangle, and appeared in Stags at Bay.

After Princeton he worked as a chemical engineer until Pearl Harbor, when he enlisted in the Air Corps. He rose to captain, served as an intelligence officer, and landed in France on D-Day. He worked in Chicago and NYC until he started his own company, Marbotech, in 1958. He held several patents.

When Frank moved to the Princeton area, he attended all class reunions, served as chair, entertained the class at his home, and seldom missed a home football game. In 1990 he moved to Heron Point Retirement Community.

Frank is survived by daughters Marjorie Anderson and Elizabeth Smith; his sister, Mai West; brothers Edward and William; and three grandsons. Marjorie, his beloved wife of more than 50 years, predeceased him. To his family and friends, the class extends sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1937


John Griffith Hendrickson ’39

John, a civil engineer specializing in hydraulics, died of prostate cancer Mar. 6, 2003, in Hazel Crest, Ill. After graduation John taught civil engineering at Princeton, then served as a naval lieutenant and frogman in the Pacific, where he was awarded the Silver Star for leading an underwater assault during the capture of two islands.

Studying for a master’s at the U. of Illinois, he met another grad student, Donna Jane Hayden. Married in 1948, they spent three years in Princeton, while John taught civil engineering. In 1951 they moved to Chicago, where he joined a concrete-pipe design company. In 1980 he was awarded the title of fellow in a specialized area of engineering, only the 12th individual to earn that designation in 50 years.

The People to People program sent him to China to share his expertise. In Apr. 2003, Chicago’s mayor and city council honored John for his significant contributions reviewing and testifying at major court cases related to pipe failures.

To Donna, their children, Susan and Mark, and John’s brother, Gavin, we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Robert Eugene Hill ’39

Bob died Oct. 9, 2002, in Stamford, Conn. Except for his contribution to our 50th Yearbook, we’ve heard nothing from him in recent years. In that submission, he told us that our class’s postreunion trips had meant very much to him.

Bob left Princeton junior year, took a secretarial course, and became a salesman in his father’s industrial real estate firm. In the Army from 1942-46, he had special assignments with coast artillery and military police in Alaska. After the war, he enrolled at Golden Gate College, received a BBA in 1949, and then resumed working in Westfield, N.J., as owner of Hill & Hill, Inc., specializing in industrial real estate. He and Ruth Vollmer married in 1946 but later divorced. They had a daughter, Kathleen, and son, James. Bob later married Marietta Kuoult, whom we knew as Poni when we met her on class trips. Poni died a few years ago.

Bob is survived by his children; two grandsons; and two stepsons, Doug and Tom Hackett. To them all we extend our sympathy.

The Class of 1939


John Conrad MeyerhoLz Jr.’40

John died June 11, 2003, in Palm Bay, Fla., after a remarkably varied career in law and finance.

He prepared at Pingry School. At Princeton he majored in history, lettered in football and basketball, and was a member of Tiger Inn.

After serving as a Naval officer in WWII, John graduated from the U. of Virginia Law School. One of his memorable experiences was his early association with Edward Teller, the “father” of the hydrogen bomb, in Los Alamos, N.Mex.

Later, in NYC, he practiced law with Cravath, Swaine and Moore. His last 30 years in business were as a securities broker with Shearson Lehman Hutton. John retired at age 70, moving his family to Florida, where he pursued tennis with the same enthusiasm he displayed for basketball and football.

His classmates and family will remember this athlete and intellectual for his quiet, detached demeanor, and as a man who never wavered from his principles.

John is survived by his wife, Miriam; children David, Lisa, and J.C.; and 10 grandchildren. To them all his classmates extend their deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940


Hugh Eberhardt Petersen ’40

“Civic leader poured heart, soul into Santa Barbara,” “man of the decade,” and “consummate gentleman” were among phrases used in a page-one article about Hugh in the Santa Barbara News Press upon his death May 31, 2003. He had been ill for several years.

Hugh prepared at Southern Arizona School and New Trier in Chicago before entering Princeton. He majored in economics and graduated with honors. He was on the freshman polo team and varsity crew, was business manager of the Bric-a-Brac, and a member of Quadrangle Club.

For the next 25 years he was engaged in the family businesses of coal and hotels in Chicago. During this time he attended Northwestern Law School and earned a master’s in business from the U. of Chicago. He became director of the Chicago Better Business Bureau, a trustee of George Williams College, and served on the YMCA of Chicago board.

In 1968 he married Marjorie Stone — “the best thing I’ve ever done” — liquidated the family business, and moved to Santa Barbara, where he bought La Arcada Investment Corp. It was his farsighted and civic-minded development of his properties that evoked the widespread praise quoted above. Hugh was active in Princeton clubs where he lived.

To his wife, Marjorie, and his nieces and nephews, his classmates extend their deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940


Charles Dilworth Brakeley ’42

Pete succumbed to Alzheimer’s disease Apr. 17, 2003, in Middlebury, Vt.

Pete prepared for Princeton at Borden-town Military Institute and the Lawrence-ville School, from which he graduated cum laude. At Princeton he was an honors student in history. In his senior year, the Society of Colonial Wars [N.J.] awarded him its American history prize. He was a member of Campus and Triangle clubs. During WWII, Pete served four years in the Coast Guard in communications and air-sea rescue, attaining the rank of lieutenant.

Afterward, Pete went to work for Brakeley Food Products Co. in Camden. In 1950 he married Patricia Ann Edmondson.

By our 20th reunion, Pete had risen to be treasurer of the family business, had chaired the local Princeton schools committee, and was a prominent leader in Boy Scouts. In addition, he and Pat were the proud parents of five boys: Charles, Davis, Harry, Peter, and William. Two years later, Pete led the family to Middlebury College, where he started in development and retired after 16 years as director of financial aid.

To Pat, the five sons, and 12 grandchildren, the class extends its deepest sympathy for the loss of a great classmate who got his “biggest bang out of community service.”

The Class of 1942


Joseph Edwin Longstreth ’42

Joseph died Apr. 15, 2003, of an internal hemorrhage; he was 82. At Princeton he majored in philosophy and Greek, and was active in musical and dramatic events. He left school to serve as a pilot and flight instructor in the Army Air Corps, achieving renown as a pianist while at Eagle Pass.

He graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London, the Academie Nationale Dramatique in Paris, and the Conservatoria de Santa Cecilia in Rome. Afterward he settled in NYC, where he began acting, writing libretti (including Don Pedro for Lemonade Opera), and started an editing business. He wrote five children’s books and edited four books by Caryl Chessman, including Cell Block 2455: Death Row.

Switching careers again, he hosted the radio/TV program, The Joe Longstreth Show, in Dayton, Ohio, leaving to become a duo-harpist under Columbia Artists Management in NYC. Performing 125 concerts annually, Longstreth & Escosa also produced five records, following which Longstreth purchased and restored historic buildings in his hometown of Richmond, Ind. In 1998 he married Peg Goldberg, an art dealer and musician, who survives him. Moving to Naples, Fla., the couple opened Longstreth & Goldberg Fine Arts and wrote reviews of classical events for the Naples Daily News.

The Class of 1942


George M. Grace ’44

George died in Tucson, Ariz., June 6, 2003, following a courageous bout with cancer.

George graduated from Princeton HS. At Princeton, he was active in baseball and 150-lb. football, was president of Court Club, and an economics major. He served in the Pacific as a Naval officer on an LST.

He had a 37-year career at Chase Bank, with lengthy stays in London and Moscow. A Princeton resident, he was active in community life, and was president of the newly merged borough and township school boards. He was class treasurer for 10 years and attended 26 reunions. He walked in the P-rade in 2002 and spoke about the P-rade days before his death.

Classmate Lew Kraft and Eve introduced George to Janet in 1973. George and Jan enjoyed music, travel, his children, and golf. After retiring, he made six trips as consultant to Asiatic republics of the former Soviet Union. In Tucson, he was president of the Princeton Club.

Predeceased by his son Kevin, he is survived by his wife; son Chris; daughters Martha and Padgie; and two grandchildren. The class to which he was so devoted shares in their loss.

The Class of 1944


Warren Harding Knauer ’44

Warren died in Naples, Fla., June 21, 2003.

He prepared at Pingry School. At Princeton he majored in biology, was a member of Tower Club, was varsity swimming manager, and roomed with Bill McManus and Bill McGrath.

He served in the Army Medical Corps in WWII and Korea, received his MD from Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons, and did surgical residencies at St. Vincent’s and Bellevue hospitals in NYC, and at Yale-New Haven. He specialized in oncological surgery, operating the only New Jersey private cancer center, in Roselle, while chair of the cancer committee at Elizabeth General. He served as president of the NJ Academy of Medicine and NJ Oncology Society, receiving the Physician’s Award and the Award for National Leadership.

Warren also served as trustee of Westminster Presbyterian Church and Vail Deane School. In 1992 he retired to Florida, where he was a member of the Princeton Club.

Surviving are his wife, Wendy, daughter Cynthia, son Josh, two stepsons, and two grandchildren. The class expresses regret at their loss.

The Class of 1944


James Ross Schuyler ’44 *48

Doc, a longtime resident of Ewing, N.J., died June 2, 2003, in Riverside, Calif., his home for the past 10 years.

A graduate of Mercersburg Academy, he first roomed with Ernie de Moss and later was manager of Key and Seal. He received a degree in civil engineering while stationed by the Navy at Cornell, then served in the South Pacific, being discharged as lieutenant j.g. He joined an engineering firm, then earned a master’s from Princeton in 1948 while working with the NJ Dept. of Transportation. He was recalled to the military during the Korean Conflict and assigned to study cold weather airport paving. Back at the DOT, he rose from chief of soils to general superintendent of maintenance, then to regional engineer, and finally chief engineer. He ended his career in 1987 as head of the NJ railroad electrification project.

Doc was active in the Ewing Presbyterian Church, the Society of Professional Engineers, and was commandant of the Trenton Battalion unit for naval construction of the Naval Reserve.

He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Elizabeth, daughters Patricia and Anne, and four grandchildren. Another daughter, Elizabeth, predeceased him. His class extends sympathy to the whole family.

The Class of 1944


David H. Finnie ’46

Dave died Apr. 12, 2003 of cancer at his home in New Canaan, Conn. A native of Grosse Pointe, Mich., he graduated from the Hotchkiss School before entering Princeton in 1942. After serving in the Army in Europe, he graduated with honors in 1948 from the School of Public and International Affairs. He subsequently graduated from Yale Law School in 1953.

After beginning a law career at the NYC firm of Donovan Leisure, a Ford Foundation grant allowed him and his wife, Nancy, to live in Beirut for two years where he wrote Desert Enterprise, about the Middle East oil industry. He then joined Mobil Oil Corp. in its Middle East affairs department. Later he moved to London, becoming a senior counsel in Mobil’s international division. He wrote several more books, including Shifting Lines in the Sand: Kuwait’s Elusive Frontier with Iraq, in 1992.

Retiring some 15 years ago to New Canaan, Dave worked for the local library, Episcopal church, and historical boards.

Nancy, daughter Sarah ’78, son Charles ’81, and six grandchildren survive. Dave’s two brothers, Donald ’47 and Robert ’51, predeceased him. The class joins the family in mourning a true scholar and gentleman.

The Class of 1946


William Gilder Litchfield ’46

On a lucky day for ’46, an Army medic discharged Litch for allergies to GI boots. Back on campus in July 1944, he spent countless hours at 305 Nassau Hall as our corresponding secretary, writing classmates everywhere. One later said, “Bill, we were friends before we ever met.” Dean Frisco Godolphin said Litch “did more than anyone to hold your class together.”

This always quick, often outspoken, sometimes outlandish guy loved us “fiercely” (his word). That loyalty kept his phone busy calling ’46ers and Choate classmates. When friends threw him a 50th-birthday party, 200 people showed up. For the last 20 years in Albany, N.Y., Bill was “Lord Mayor of Willett Street.” After his death from cancer Apr. 27, 2003, an Albany Times-Union columnist wrote, “Friends remembered the witty and acerbic Democratic political operative in Albany’s Center Square neighborhood as generous to friends and relentless with those with whom he disagreed. He earned his moniker holding impromptu political debates on the steps of his apartment facing Washington Park.”

Litch leaves niece Sandra Clarke Walter, nephew George M. Clarke, several grand-nieces and nephews, Albany admirers who made his memorial service standing-room only, and an army of ’46 friends.

The Class of 1946


William Crawford Schock ’47

Bill “Humpy” Schock joined many Princeton-ians as a Navy V-12er in July 1943, and returned after overseas service in 1946. We remember him as a tennis star, top student, and as an energetic, effervescent classmate.

Bill’s upbringing in a manorial castle overlooking the Mississippi near St. Louis foreshadowed the fabled career that followed Princeton. A busy life in law and with Dian and their two children (and, later, four grandchildren), was combined with vigorous athletic pursuits, notably tennis, and a passionate advocacy of conservation causes, particularly his successful efforts to promote clean-up and preservation of many of Missouri’s scenic rivers. Then, too, there were his regular, year-round plunges into the Mississippi (celebrated with photos in past PAWs) and his many other “lend-a-hand” activities.

A bumper sticker on Bill’s ’89 Ford Festiva read: “Love life.” He died Apr. 4, 2003, but his life shines brightly in the mosaic of our classmates’ lives, adding luster to ’47’s fabulous history.

With affectionate admiration we tender this all-too-brief celebration to Dian, Bill’s bride for nigh on 50 years, and the family.

The Class of 1947


George Withrow Lewis ’51

George died Nov. 8, 2002, of a pulmonary embolism. He came to Princeton from Montclair [N.J.] HS and majored in sociology. He was a member of Terrace Club, an associate editor of the Daily Princetonian, and participated in Triangle and Theatre Intime.

George was commissioned in the Army via ROTC and served in Korea. Afterward he earned an MBA from Harvard. He was employed by the International Division of Ford Motor Co. in pre-Castro Cuba and in Venezuela, and eventually became Ford’s director of South American operations. Later he joined McKinsey & Co. in NYC, and in 1964, moved to the US distributing organization of Rolls-Royce Motors, Inc., eventually becoming president. Retiring after 20 years at Rolls, George became vice president of the Eisenhower Exchange Fellowships, Inc. in Philadelphia, then retired again in 1992.

George served as vestryman at St. Luke and the Epiphany Episcopal Church in Philadelphia, and at St. Mary’s Anglican Church after he moved to Wilmington.

He is survived by his widow, Elizabeth “Betsy” Williams; his son, George; daughter Martha Story; and three stepchildren, Natalie Knitowski, Robert C. Nowaczyk and Thomas W. Nowaczyk. They have our deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1951


Brice Goldsborough Cox ’61

Brice Cox died in an automobile accident July 1, 2002, in Lake Charles, La. He attended Groton before graduating from Punahou School in Honolulu. He entered Princeton at 16 and majored in economics. He took his meals at Court Club, and also was a member of the Chess Club and the Savoyards.

Following in his late father’s footsteps, Brice then earned a master of divinity degree from Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkeley. Ordained in 1964, he served Episcopalian parishes and hospitals in a number of cities in Texas. In between, he fulfilled his love of economics with stops at Merrill Lynch and First Bank in San Antonio.

He leaves a son, Brice “Beau” Cox; a daughter, Annalyn Cox; a sister; two brothers; and his mother. The class joins them in their sorrow.

The Class of 1961


William Shellman Morse ’61

We recently learned of Shell’s death July 15, 2002, but we have no indication of where he died or the cause of death.

Shell came to Princeton from New Trier HS in Illinois, where he was a varsity athlete, sports editor of the school paper, and member of the student council. At Princeton he was a member of Tiger Inn and majored in economics, writing his thesis on branch banking. In the Nassau Herald, he wrote he planned to go to law school or Naval OCS.

Beyond that we know little, except our 15th-reunion yearbook lists his address as Chevway Corp. in Chicago, and in 1991, he moved to Vail, Colo.

We know he married several times, but have no further details from or about survivors. Nonetheless, our hearts go out to them.

The Class of 1961


Beverley Douglas Causey III ’64

Family and friends of Bev Causey were shocked when he died Oct. 17, 2002; he was 59. A Suitland, Md., resident, he entered the hospital Oct. 10 complaining of stomach pain. He suffered a major heart attack in the hospital and never awoke after emergency surgery.

Born in Richmond, he graduated from Episcopal HS in Alexandria, Va. At Princeton he and EHS classmate John Jones shared a double their freshman year, then joined friends from Pyne Hall in a sophomore rooming group.

Bev was always the most intensely focused of the group. When his less single-minded friends kidded him about being so serious, he could be counted on for a wry, good-humored comeback.

Bev received his degree in mathematics cum laude, then earned a PhD in statistics from the U. of Chicago. After a few years in private industry, he joined the statistical research division of the Bureau of the Census. He specialized in applied research and published numerous papers. In 1996 he received the Bronze Medal for superior federal service, the Census Bureau’s highest honorary recognition.

A thoughtful, gifted, and purposeful man, he will be genuinely missed, and warmly and affectionately remembered. The class extends sincere sympathy to his four sisters, other family members, and friends.

The Class of 1964


William N. Lane III ’65

Bill Lane died of a recurrence of cancer Sept. 20, 2002, at his home in Lake Forest, Ill. At Princeton, he majored in economics, took his meals at Charter and roomed with Tom Fisher, Chip Gillespie, Ted Doering, Jan Vlcek, Van Williams, Doug Brody, Dick Missner, and Morgan Shipway.

After Princeton, Bill joined his father’s company, General Binding Corp., and turned it into Lane Industries, the dominant company in binding and laminating office documents, and one of the largest privately owned companies in the country, with operations in security, farming, ranching, hotels, and radio. A quiet force among our Chicago classmates, he frequently hosted Princeton gatherings, and served as a trustee of the Illinois Institute of Technology, Rush Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center, and the Chicago Zoological Society/Brookfield Zoo, and as a board member at Wallace Computer. As the Chicago Tribune put it, he was “a blunt and worldly man with a penchant for big game hunting and a strong desire to diversify his family’s business.”

He is survived by his wife, Mary, and son, Carl. The class expresses its condolences to them on the loss of one of our larger-than-life stalwarts.

The Class of 1965


John Orr Theobald ’66

Princeton’s lost a friend. We’ve lost a friend. Theo died of cancer in Phoenix May 1, 2003.

For each of us during those handful of life’s events that we got to share with Theo, whether it was baseball, Tiger Inn, as a cheerleader, or on a road trip, he rewarded us with his intelligence, his curiosity, his inventiveness, and, oh, that sense of humor . . .

Theo knew about clams on the beach at the Hotel Del, desert flowers in and around his beloved Phoenix, real estate law, Indian rugs and jewelry, Southwest postmarks — anything and everything. To paraphrase author Howard Gossage, Theo knew more about everything than we knew about anything.

Beyond his curiosity and intelligence, Theo’s greatest gift was to show us how full a life can be with a soft, rich sense of humor. Ask yourself — did anyone make you laugh as readily and as comfortably as John? What a smile! What happy, squinty eyes! What a laugh! His humor was never acerbic, never unkind, and ultimately witty, even the slapstick stuff.

God bless you, Jennifer, Laura, Patsy, Ryan, and Christopher. Goodbye, Theo. Thanks again for your friendship and humor; they’ve rubbed off on all of us. We’ll cling to them forever.

The Class of 1966


Kenneth H. Kreis ’68

Ken died May 29, 2003, at his home in Manassas, Va., following a long battle with brain cancer; he was 57. Ken filled the last decades of his life by making others’ lives a little better. His wake was punctuated with many heartfelt testimonials .

He majored in electrical engineering and drove his roommates nuts with his ability to ace tests without cramming. Ken was in Key and Seal, ROTC, and the Sailing Club. He earned a master’s in electrical engineering at Stanford, served in the Army, then worked as a communications engineer with the Drug Enforcement Administration, developing an expertise in clock and watch mechanism repair.

After his government career, Ken was heavily involved in community service, including delivering food to the needy with his father, Robert Kreis ’42. Ken slew his personal demon 23 years ago with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous, and gave the same help to others, including founding and maintaining an AA chapter in a local prison.

The class extends its deepest sympathy to his widow, Pat, and sister, Joan. Ken, in a unique and unsung way, epitomized Princeton in the nation’s service.

The Class of 1968


Jeffery A. Williams ’73

Jeffery Williams, associate professor of neurosurgery and oncology and director of stereotactic radiosurgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, died while exercising May 25, 2002.

Jeffery was one of the world’s foremost radiosurgeons, specializing in the precise delivery of radiation to brain tumors and vascular lesions while sparing the surrounding healthy brain. He was the only physician to be certified by the American boards of both neurological surgery and radiation oncology.

Jeffery received his MD from Johns Hopkins in 1977. He completed fellowships in nuclear medicine at Emory and Hopkins, as well as residencies in radiation oncology at St. Vincent’s in NYC and Hopkins, and in neurosurgery at the U. of Oklahoma.

He wrote numerous scientific papers and held seven patents for brain tumor treatments. Among many awards, he received the Clinical Investigator Development Award from the National Institutes of Health and the Clinician Scientist Award from Hopkins. He was a founder and chairman of the medical advisory board for Proxima Therapeutics, Inc.

Jeffery was born in Vallejo, Calif. He is survived by his father, Marvin, a sister, Jan Kernan, a niece, and a nephew.

The Class of 1973

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary