October 22, 2003: Memorials


Spence died in his sleep June 26, 2003, at home in Madison, N.J. He was 96. He prepared for Princeton at Phillips Andover Academy. At Princeton, he was a member of the freshman track team, Triangle Club Orchestra, University Orchestra, and Dial Lodge.

After graduation, he joined the Federal Reserve Bank of NY, where he held various positions until 1946 when he became a bank officer. In 1956 he was appointed an assistant vice president and helped implement Federal Reserve open market policy.

In 1968, he was appointed a vice president and market adviser and worked with central bank authorities in several countries including Brazil, Iran, South Korea, Nicaragua, Colombia, and the Philippines. At his retirement, a note in the bank’s board minutes said, “Mr. Marsh will be remembered with esteem and affection by his associates for his integrity, warm good humor, and willingness to give freely of his time and experience to others.”

He served the class in many ways and in 1995 was elected class president. He was volunteer commissioner of the Morris County [N.J.] Mosquito Commission for 56 years and director of Mt. Kemble Home for Women in Morristown.

He is survived by his wife, Doris; his brother, Theron ’33; his sons, Spencer S. III ’63 and Theron L. ’70; and granddaughters Ashley Marsh Pertsemildis ’93 and Carter Marsh Abbott ’97. To all of them, the class sends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1929



Don Curtis died Oct. 8, 2001. He prepared at Newton [Mass.] High School. At Princeton, he was in the orchestra and band, on the fencing team and lacrosse squad, and in Gateway Club. He graduated from Harvard Law School in 1935. He was corporate secretary and counsel for New England Gas and Electric Assn. from 1936-40.

During WWII he served with the United Kingdom Jr. Service Staff College; Headquarters U.S. EUCOM in Frankfurt, Germany; CO 142nd and 72nd FA Groups in Germany; and then was a student at Industrial College of the Armed Forces. He was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Czechoslovakian War Cross of 1939, and received Belgian and French decorations.

In our 50th reunion book, Don said, “Main interest in life is combating intellectual dishonesty in national security matters on whatever level I find it, and raising my kids to be good citizens, with pride in their country and in Princeton, and to be Princetonians in the nation’s service. I also am prone to bang the hell out of any handy piano on occasion, when suitably primed . . . ”

He is survived by two sons, Bruce and Anthony, and a daughter, Carol, to whom the class sends sincere condolences.

The Class of 1932



Gordon died May 15, 2003. He prepared at Cuba [N.Y.] High School. At Princeton, he was a member of the freshman basketball team, junior varsity lacrosse squad, Interclub baseball championship team, the band, and Gateway Club.

In our 50th reunion book, Gordon said, “I have been basically associated with the lime and limestone industry since 1936 in almost every phase except sales. (I don’t have the ability to agree that a customer is always right.)

“I have been a plant engineering superintendent, construction supervisor, works manager, consultant, and design and construction engineer for three different companies until 1971, when I retired. During this time, I was active in affairs of the National Lime Assn., and also earned professional engineer licenses in Missouri and Texas. These are still in force even though I retired.”

The Class of 1932



Fred died May 10, 2003. He prepared at Episcopal Academy. At Princeton, he was a member of Colonial Club. He roomed junior and senior years with John Ross.

He is survived by a daughter, Patricia, and a son, Frederick III, to whom the class sends sincere condolences.

The Class of 1932



Bob, of Osprey, Fla., died Nov. 9, 2002. He was 92.

Born in Brooklyn, he moved to Osprey from Wilmington, Del., in 1983. He left the DuPont Co. after 30 years of service working in organic chemicals and nylon. He served in the Army during WWII, rising to the rank of lieutenant colonel. He fought with a heavy artillery group in France, Belgium, Holland, and Germany. In addition to Princeton, he attended Babson Institute in Massachusetts, and the U. of Delaware.

He was a member of the New Rochelle [N.Y.] Yacht Club, the Tochwoch Yacht Club, the Gibson Island Club, and the Club Nautico de Palma in Majorca. He belonged to the Wilmington Country Club and was Senior Handicap Champion in 1965. He was a recent member and resident of the Oaks Club in Osprey.

He is survived by his wife, Margaret; sons Joseph Warren and Robert Charles; a daughter, Margaret Gail Higgins; and four grandchildren, to all of whom the class sends sincere condolences.

The Class of 1932



Ben died quietly in Jacksonville, Fla., Dec. 30, 2002. He was 91.

Ben was born in Los Angeles. His ancestor, John Kittredge, came to America in 1630. Ben attended NYU School of Law after Princeton. He was a building contractor and a lover of boats. His daughter, Victoria, said she cast his ashes into the pass of Gasparilla Island, Fla., where she lives, so that he may forever sail the seas. She had hoped that he would help her during a tarpon fishing tournament on Father’s Day, but it was not meant to be.

Ben’s wife, Elizabeth Beamish, predeceased him. Ben is survived by his children, Ben III and Victoria, two grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. Ben will be greatly missed by his family and many friends.

The Class of 1933



Frank died in Lenox, Mass., April 18, 2003. He was 93.

He was born in Toledo, grew up in Bronxville, N.Y., attended the Lawrenceville School, and graduated from Princeton with a degree in mining engineering. A 40-year career in metal mining followed. His employers included Pacific Tin Corp. in Malaya, St. Joseph Lead Co. in Argentina, and Cerro Corp. in NYC, where he was head of mining engineering and vice president of Cerro Exploration Co. His specialties were mine development and exploration for new mining opportunities. He wrote numerous technical papers on mining and geology, and belonged to several mining and geologic societies.

In 1972 he retired to Sharon, Conn., and in 1991 he moved to a retirement community in Lenox, Mass.

Frank is survived by his wife, Diana, son Arthur, daughter Linda McLane, and three grandchildren. Oil, as we all called him, will be very much missed.

The Class of 1933



Joe died June 7, 2003, in Princeton. He was 90. A graduate of the Lawrenceville School, Joe majored in modern languages at Princeton, where he was a member of Elm Club and rowed crew.

In 1936 he joined American Airlines, serving in various capacities, the last as overseas sales manager in Zurich. In 1951 he joined Prudential Insurance Co. in Newark as a special agent. Over the years he received several regional and national awards for outstanding sales, and in 1962 was awarded the president’s citation from the company. He retired in 1991. He was a very active member of the Greater Newark Chamber of Commerce.

In 1977 Joe and his wife, Jo-Ann Fiordaliso Nehr, established the Nehr Scholarship for International Students at Princeton. To date, 66 students have received the scholarships. The Nehrs also founded the Nehr Scholarship for Native Americans at the Lawrenceville School.

Joe held a bronze medal from the 1932 Lake Placid Winter Olympic Games as a member of the US bobsled team.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by his brother- and sister-in-law, Joseph and Marilyn Fiordaliso; 13 nieces and nephews; and several cousins. Joe served Princeton and our class well. He indeed will be remembered.

The Class of 1936



Clyde died July 2, 2003, at St. Luke’s Hospital in NYC after a short illness. Clyde and Sandra, his wife of 46 years, lived in the same apartment on Central Park West for more than 40 years. From there Clyde made a reverse commute daily to Rahway, N.J., where he managed press relations and communications for Merck & Co., Inc., for three decades. At his retirement, he was executive director of communications for Merck.

A part of the large Lawrenceville School contingent in the class, Clyde stood out even then as a scholar, sportsman, writer, and raconteur. From 1941-45, he was on active duty with the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division, serving first in Panama and then in the European theater of operations, seeing action in Holland and the Battle of the Bulge. He and Sandra had three daughters, Melissa, Eleanor, and Valerie, two sons-in-law, and four grandsons. They will miss him, and so will we.

The Class of 1939



Following a fall, Phil died May 31, 2003, in Scranton, Pa. A graduate of the Loomis School, he majored in chemical engineering at Princeton, participated in the Civilian Pilot Training Program, and was president of Campus Club. He roomed senior year with Max Smith, Bill Diver, and George Lewis.

Joining the Navy as an ensign in May 1941, Phil served in WWII as chief test pilot and staff flight instructor of the Naval Air Station in New Orleans. Recalled to duty in the Korean War, he served on the staff of the aircraft carrier USS Antietam, retiring as lieutenant commander.

Phil returned to the Scranton area, becoming a managing director in the NY Stock Exchange firm of J.H. Brooks, Morris and Stroud, which later merged with Prudential Bache. He retired in 1988.

An elder, trustee, and treasurer of Covenant Presbyterian Church, he was director of the Pennsylvania Association for the Blind, the Boys and Girls Club of Scranton, and Moses Taylor Hospital. Phil was an avid fly fisherman and a member of the Country Club of Scranton’s Hole-in-One Club.

Surviving are his wife of almost 50 years, Jane Mattas Christian; his daughter, Marjorie Miller; his sons, Philip III and Clyde; and five grandchildren. We shall miss this loyal Princetonian.

The Class of 1941



Matt Gault, a retired bank executive, died June 22, 2003, in Princeton after a long illness. He prepared at the Gilman School and Episcopal High School. At Princeton he earned honors in modern languages and was a member of Ivy Club.

Matt served as an Army artillery officer in the 420th Field Artillery Group in four of the toughest and most successful WWII campaigns in the Pacific: the invasions of Leyte, Saipan, Ryukyus, and Okinawa. He left the Army as a captain.

He married Rosemary Ford in 1950. Rosemary predeceased Matt. They had three daughters, Harriet Freeman, Rosette Ford, and Mary Virginia.

Matt had a long and distinguished career at Citibank in Manhattan, where he rose from official assistant to vice president, and oversaw financing of Fortune 500 companies such as McDonald’s, Holiday Inn, and Pizza Hut. He was always generous to Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Episcopal High School, and a myriad of individuals and charities.

To his two surviving daughters, Rosette and Mary, and grandson Matthew, the class extends its sincerest condolences on the loss of a loyal father, husband, and classmate.

The Class of 1942



Dixon died June 26, 2003, following an extended illness. He was 82.

A Philadelphia native, he prepped for Princeton at the Choate School. While on campus, he was a member of Cap and Gown.

During WWII, Dixon served as a 12th Air Force Division fighter pilot, with 71 missions over Africa and the continent. His decorations included the Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying Cross, and Purple Heart.

Dixon spent the bulk of his professional life in Atlanta, primarily as an entrepreneur in various fields. He retired to Sea Island, Ga., in 1991.

Dixon is survived by his wife of 57 years, Eulalia; two daughters, Lisa Curtis and Diane Mallory; three grandchildren; and his sister, Patricia Kelsey.

To the entire family, we extend our most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



Our classmate died Aug. 13, 2000. A member of Dial Lodge, Bill left Princeton to serve as a field service engineer for United Aircraft when WWII commenced. After the war, he embarked on a career as a mill agent for fabric products, such as mohair upholstery, and lived with his wife, Dolores, in Scarsdale, N.Y., and in Shelby, Rockingham, and Greensboro, N.C. One of his charitable interests was United Cerebral Palsy.

He is survived by two sons, William Jr. and Peter.

The Class of 1944



Harry died Aug. 6, 2002. At Princeton he was a member of Cannon Club, majored in modern languages, and was active in crew, wrestling, and softball. He roomed with Jim Parham and Bill Harney. He served in the Army as an interpreter for the American military government in Germany, then returned to Princeton to graduate in 1947.

He was employed by Pan American World Airways, living in Far Rockaway, N.Y., and by Varig Airlines, living in the Los Angeles area.

He is survived by his wife, Maria, to whom his classmates send their regrets.

The Class of 1944



Lans died June 1, 2003, in Shaker Heights, Ohio. A lifelong native of greater Cleveland, he graduated from Deerfield Academy in 1942 and entered Princeton in the engineering department.

With Army service as a sergeant in the 8th Armored and 35th Infantry divisions, Lans saw action in the Ardennes and Rhineland, earning a Bronze Star. After graduating in 1947, he worked for the NY Central System, wrote three books on the railroad, and was a founder, president and trustee of the NY Central Historical Society.

Married for of 57 years to Katherine Cummer, he enjoyed game shooting, fly fishing, and water skiing with his children, especially at Indian River, Mich. His wife; daughters Delia and Marianne; son Robert; three grandchildren; and brother Thomas ’48, survive. The class expresses condolences to all.

The Class of 1946



Dee joined us in ’46 after distinguished Army air service in Europe.

Upon graduation he launched his highly successful career in the oil business by studying petroleum geology, working on drilling rigs in the field, behind a desk for Mobil, and then for himself as an independent oil operator. He married a Texas girl, Renee Danal, in 1952 and they enjoyed two children. Sadly, Renee died in 1994. Happily, Dee found Haddon Bower on the eve of our 50th reunion, and they had seven wonderful retirement years together in Santa Barbara before Dee’s death June 14, 2003.

Dee can be seen as a quintessential Princetonian of our era: son of a notable alumnus, graduate of St. Paul’s School, captain of our illustrious crew, and magna cum laude graduate.

He wore his laurels modestly and is fondly remembered as a “soft-spoken, courteous, true gentleman.” For our 40th Dee wrote: “I will always be grateful for Princeton, my ’47 classmates, and dear friends.”

With gratitude for such a classmate, we extend warm sympathy to Haddon, and to all the children, stepchildren, and grandchildren who brought so much joy into Dee’s life.

The Class of 1947



Roger Eckert, distinguished professor of chemical engineering at Purdue University, died April 26, 2003.

A native of Lakewood, Ohio, Roger was a product of the local high school. He entered Princeton in June 1944, and graduated in 1948 with highest honors in chemical engineering and membership in Phi Beta Kappa. He was a member of Campus Club, and sang in the Glee Club and chapel choir. In 1951 he received a PhD in chemical engineering from the U. of Illinois.

Roger’s first position was with DuPont Co. in Wilmington. After 12 years he moved on to Purdue to a career in teaching and research. His specialty was statistics and the strategy of experimental design. He was on the Purdue faculty for 39 years.

Roger was active in the Presbyterian Church and was an avid supporter of Purdue tennis. His love of music never abated.

Roger is survived by his son, Roger Jr., daughters Rhonda Mapes and Robyn Zeeman, and eight grandchildren. He was a loyal Princetonian all of his days.

The Class of 1948



Charlie Heming died at home June 6, 2003, of complications from pneumonia. He had a dodgy heart ever since a heart attack at 50. At that time he gave up golf and began dedicated running, including participating in six marathons. He also was an avid skier and former president of the Amateur Ski Club of NY, which was near his Fayston, Vt., home in the Mad River Glen ski area.

Charlie, a native New Yorker, was a graduate of Andover. He graduated from Princeton with honors in S.P.I.A. He was a member of Tiger Inn and went on to Columbia Law School, earning his degree in 1950. He and Olga Landeck Rothschild were married in 1949 and had three children. Following a divorce, he married Barbara Krueger Meisel, who survives him.

Charlie’s law specialty was trusts and estates. He served a year as president of the NY State Bar Assn., working to improve new ethics rules and streamline the complex state trial court system. He was a partner in Wormser, Kiely, Galef & Jacobs since 1982. Prior to that he had his own firm, Damon & Heming.

In addition to Barbara, he is survived by his son, Michael; daughters Lucy Hutchinson and Amanda Minsky; and six grandchildren. The class has lost a dear and loyal friend.

The Class of 1948



Bert died Apr. 13, 2001. A native of Chicago and graduate of John Marshall High School, he was with us for only a year. He transferred to the U. of Illinois for a degree in chemistry. After another bachelor’s degree, this time in psychology from Roosevelt U., he went on to UCLA for further studies in psychology. He earned his PhD in clinical psychology from the U. of Pittsburgh.

While serving as director of psychological services at Harmarville Rehabilitation Center, Bert was consultant to the cerebral palsy clinic at Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh. Eventually he moved to Beverly Hills to follow a career as a clinical psychologist-psychotherapist.

“A major event in my life and social contribution was the rescue of a nearly destroyed Frank Lloyd Wright house in Phoenix,” he said. Bert’s initiative was recognized by an award from the American Institute of Architects for the restoration, preservation, and an integrated addition to the house. After several years he found himself “quite broke” from the effort and sold the house in 1996.

Despite his brief time with us, the class shares in the loss of this loyal Princetonian with his widow, Pamela, and daughter, Lisa.

The Class of 1948



Dudley Sharp died of cancer in Houston May 14, 2003. He was one of the best known and well-liked students in the class of 1952.

He started things off during freshman week with an attempt to steal the clapper, which failed when the wrench slipped and struck a loud, single note on Nassau Hall’s bell a little after 3 a.m. His zest for friendship and good times is remembered to this day by Hamilton Hall entrymates, members of his Ivy Club section, the “Southern Caucus,” and many others.

Upon his departure in 1950, he entered the U. of Texas, where he completed courses in history and government. He began a business career working in the oil fields of West Texas, then joined Mission Manufacturing Co., the Houston-based oilfield supply firm founded by his father and uncle in 1925. Following its sale, he continued his family’s entrepreneurial tradition by investing successfully in real estate in Texas and Oklahoma.

During his final battle with cancer, which he met with courage and characteristic humor, he was visited every day by friends and was at home with his family at the end. The class sends its love to Kay, his wife of 38 years, his sister, Judy, and his children.

The Class of 1952



Following a period of declining health, Fred died in his sleep at Overlook House, a Christian Science facility in Cleveland, Jan. 10, 2003. His memorial service was graced by the voice of his daughter, Heidi, a lyric soprano in the Metropolitan Opera.

After graduation from Case Western Reserve Law School, Fred began a 44-year public service career with his appointment as assistant Ohio attorney general in 1958.

Respected by colleagues as both a humorous and educated legal scholar, Fred was a passionate advocate for the rights of the weakest and most vulnerable during his 30 years as probate judge of Lake County. He was twice cited by the Ohio State Supreme Court for “outstanding judicial service.”

Fred’s career at Princeton moved at full throttle. An S.P.I.A. major, he received a Thesis Travel Scholarship to Yugoslavia, served on the Daily Princetonian editorial staff, was active in the World Federalists, Whig-Clio, and Students for Democratic Action. His roommates were Bill Gough, Howard MacAyeal, and Frank Harvey.

Fred is survived by his widow, Linda, daughters Heidi and Gretchen, and a grandson, Harrison. We offer them our deepest sympathy, and give thanks for Fred’s integrity and good cheer.

The Class of 1952



Illness prevented Bill from being with his hockey teammates on the 50th anniversary of their winning the Pentagonal League Championship. He died of cancer June 21, 2003, in New Hartford, N.Y.

Born in Quebec, Bill attended the New Hampton School. Princeton roommate, fellow forward, and Cottage Club member Jinx Cleaves remembers Bill as “lively, engaging, happy-spirited, and modest.” In addition to being the hockey team’s second-highest scorer, Bill was a hard-hitting outfielder on the baseball team, according to Jinx. An economics major, Bill belonged to the Aquinas Foundation and Catholic Club.

After graduation he received an MBA from Penn’s Wharton School and married Claire Kearins in 1961. Over the years he was associated with Univac, IBM, Windsor Tax Services, and ran his own firms of Gall & Annese and Gall Data Systems.

Besides Claire, survivors include daughters Barbara Sheehan, Mary Beth Fairchild, and Kathy Sveen; son William S. III; brother Peter E. ’54; sisters Eileen Leonard and Mary Horsley; and eight grandchildren.

Bill was a gentle soul with a quiet strength that guided and supported the people he loved, and his greatest joy was being with his family. All who knew Bill admired his passion for life and things dear to him.

The Class of 1953



Fran was optimistic to the end. Although fighting a six-month battle with leukemia, he planned to return for his 50th reunion. Regrettably, he died Apr. 1, 2003, in his San Clemente home.

Born and raised in Denver, Fran was a member of Quadrangle Club, participated in rowing, and received his degree in architecture. At the U. of Colorado, where he did graduate work, he met his wife, Virginia Miller, and they would have celebrated their 48th wedding anniversary June 29. They spent two years in Nürnburg, Germany, where he was with the Army’s 12th Engineer Battalion, and often returned to Germany to visit friends they made there.

Fran spent his architectural career in Denver and Port Huron, Mich. He retired in 1996 and moved to San Clemente, where he was active as a volunteer. Fran was proud that his son Chad (Charles Francis III ’86) chose Princeton. Besides Virginia and Chad, he is survived by his daughter, Leona. He is remembered as a gentle and kind man and is greatly missed by family and friends.

The Class of 1953



Don, an internist and infectious disease specialist, died of cancer June 6, 2003, at his Grass Valley, Calif., home.

Born in Brooklyn, Don came to Princeton from Poly Prep and majored in biology. He was a member of Prospect Club and Theatre Intime, sang in the freshman choir, and chaired WPRU’s classical music department. His roommates included Don Payne and Stan Friedman.

He received his medical degree from Columbia and spent two years in the Navy. He completed a fellowship at Stanford Medical School, and served there as a clinical instructor and abortion committee adviser. He was in private practice in Palo Alto and in Indianapolis (1984-97) until retirement. Don’s first marriage to Madelleine Fishoff ended in divorce and he married Aileen James in 1982. He was a committed AIDS Foundation volunteer.

Heartfelt sympathy to Aileen; son David Martin; stepson Tom Eiseman; stepdaughters Tamara Clawson and Teresa Keller; and six step-grandchildren.

The Class of 1953



Gregg died Jan. 19, 2003, of respiratory failure following a five-year bout with Alzheimer’s.

Gregg came to Princeton from Vineland [N.J.] High School, majored in biology, and ate at Dial Lodge. He spent five years at the U. of Rochester, where he received his doctorate and met his wife, Laura Macy. Gregg’s career in the physical and biological sciences began with a five-year stint at Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, followed by 21 years of college teaching, first at Fairleigh Dickinson U. and then at Mercy College.

Gregg’s career reflected his deepest commitments and beliefs, which were never complicated or obscure. His was a sensible, unified and interrelated universe. He was unstintingly loyal to family and friends, believed in the power and potential of the common man, and strove to prove the synergy and the interrelatedness of scientific disciplines in his teaching and in writing. Gregg and his family were a fixture at Princeton reunions, where he renewed his love for Princeton and friendship with classmates.

To Gregg’s wife of 32 years, Laura, his daughters, Anne and Elizabeth, and his brother, Gary, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1966



After an 11-year battle with brain cancer, Susan died Feb. 19, 2003. She met the challenge with courage, grace, and peace of mind.

Susan majored in sociology and earned her master’s in social work at the U. of Minnesota. She worked as a therapist until 1988. It was the right career for her; Susan cared deeply about people, and wanted to know their stories and help in any way she could. She brought all her gifts into raising her beloved children, Kirin and Nikolas, with her husband, Jay Furst ’79.

At Princeton, Susan was a member of Colonial Club and active in Student Volunteer Service, Big Brother-Big Sister, and other activities, including evening watch at the Chapel, where a memorial fund has been established in her memory.

Diagnosis of Susan’s cancer came in 1993. Good years and months mixed with the hard ones. She didn’t want her illness to control how she lived and she wouldn’t want it to be how we remember her. But her strength and patience characterized her best of all.

To Jay, Susan’s parents, and her cherished children, the class extends its love and shared grief at not having had a longer time with our friend.

The Class of 1978



Dave died of a heart attack Feb. 8, 2003, in Newport Beach, Calif., where he lived with Chelsea, his wife of 22 years.

Dave raised his sons Arron, Jared and Damion to manhood. He saw Arron married to Heidi, and Jared to Kathy. Dave recently had learned that he and Chelsea would be grandparents.

The son of Lois and Harold Rogers ’48, Dave was raised in Greenwich, Conn., with his brothers Gary and Bruce ’82. He majored in economics, was in Tiger Inn, and spent spring of his junior year at Oxford. He roomed for three years with Don Albert, Jeff Blount and Larry Studnicky.

Dave loved real estate finance. He was on the Merrill Lynch team that devised some of the first mortgage-backed securities. He introduced Southern California to many Wall Street-style transactions. He imparted his passion for this field to Jared, who now works with Dave’s former partners.

Dave was graceful, elegant, decent, and honorable. His wit put smiles on all around him. We will miss his calming presence, easygoing humor, and ability to derive joy from life’s simple pleasures. The class extends its condolences to his wife, family, and friends.

The Class of 1979

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary