May 12, 2004: Memorials


Hank Beardsley died Feb. 21, 2004, in Delray Beach, Fla. He was 92.

He was born in New York, and attended the Collegiate School and Hotchkiss. After Princeton he served for four years as a major in the Pacific in the Air Transport Command.

After a long and distinguished career in the travel industry, Hank retired in 1971 from Continental Hotels, where he held a senior executive position.

Hank is survived by his wife of 32 years, Diana; three daughters, Bonnie Playfair, Cornelia Murphy, and Stephanie Powell; a son, Douglas; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren. Hank was predeceased by his first wife, Gunilla Stahlhamma.

A memorial service celebrating Hank’s long life was held at the First Presbyterian Church in Delray. Hank was a very staunch Princetonian and a friend to us all.

The Class of 1933



Tinse Kennedy died Feb. 1, 2004, at the Arbor Hospice Residence in Ann Arbor, Mich. He was 94.

Tinse attended Culver [Ind.] Military Academy. At Princeton he was coxswain on the varsity crew. In 1940 he married Gertrude Mooney, who predeceased him. He was discharged from the Army after WWII as a lieutenant colonel. He worked for the Ford Motor Co. until his retirement.

Tinse is survived by four children, Dr. Mary Lawler, Joan Osmun, Donna Frankwick, and Bruce, and 12 grandchildren. This vigorous classmate will be very much missed.

The Class of 1933



Pres Finley, a retired officer of Connecticut General Life Insurance Co., where he worked for 43 years, died Aug. 4, 2003. He was 90. He was secretary in the company’s mortgage and real estate department.

Pres was a former chairman of the Old Guard in West Hartford and a past president of the AARP West Hartford Chapter. “Since retirement (in 1976),” he wrote, “I have been active in various organizations whose interests are directed toward us more mature people (and) it appears I am busier than ever, but I am enjoying it greatly.”

Surviving are Pres’s wife of 54 years, the former Norma McKerracher; two daughters, Roberta A. and Marilyn J.; and a grandson. Pres was predeceased by a brother, Elmer, and a sister, Arline Maver. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Parkinson Disease Assn., 27 Allendale Dr., North Haven, CT 06473.

The Class of 1934



Lib/Liz/E. J. died Jan. 20, 2004. She was a six-year cancer survivor, and her host of friends marveled at her positive spirit and energy.

A 1952 graduate of Goucher College, she became a master teacher during nearly 30 years at Chapin School in Princeton.

Her Princeton heritage spanned three centuries. Her grandfather was a Princeton mayor; her father was Edgar Marsh Gibby 1899. Liz served Old Nassau as chair of the Class Associates Committee, as In Memoriam Chair, and as a member of the AG Committee and the Alumni Council committees on Reunions and on class affairs. She was honored at Reunions 2000 with the Alumni Council Award for Service to Princeton, and a citation by the Class of ’50 for service to ’50 and to Princeton.

Known for her custom-crafted cards, Liz was also a frequent and effective communicator working for Old Nassau by phone and mail. Her smile was infectious. Her trademark was a tiger pin worn on her shoulder. Widely loved and appreciated, she is fondly remembered by the many whose lives she touched.

Predeceased by her elder son, Alexander M. Robinson, Liz is survived by her son, Bruce M. Robinson; a brother, Robert Budd Gibby, president of ’36; her husband, William H. Osborne III ’50; and his three children, their spouses, and children.

The Classes of 1936 and 1950



Alex died of an aneurysm Dec. 7, 2003, in Baltimore; he was 89. He was remembered as a beloved, innovative faculty member of the Gilman School for nearly 30 years.

Alex came to Princeton from Gilman; his father was a member of the Princeton Class of 1899. His maternal and paternal grand-fathers were also Princeton graduates. Alex was an English major, a member of Tower Club, and an officer and active participant in Theatre Intime and Triangle Club.

He enlisted in the Navy after Pearl Harbor and served aboard the USS Chicago as a battery officer and senior radar-control officer. He participated in several historic engagements including the Battle of Rennell Island, where his cruiser was sunk in 1943. He spent several hours in the Pacific before being rescued, and finished his naval service as a lieutenant commander.

Alex earned a master’s in English at Johns Hopkins U. He served as executive director of the UN Assn. of Maryland until he joined the Gilman faculty in 1951. He taught English, directed student plays, and served as editor of the Gilman Bulletin for alumni until retiring in 1979.

The class sends sincere sympathy to his widow, the former Louise Allen, whom he married in 1951; son Alexander; daughters Louise A. Machen, Mary A. Schoemaker, Bess Armstrong Fiedler, and Caroline A. Montague; and 13 grandchildren.

The Class of 1937



Chet died Jan. 9, 2004, at Heritage Heights, Concord, N.H.

Chet came to us from Deerfield Academy. He majored in psychology at Princeton, and was a member of Whig Hall and Tower Club. He graduated summa cum laude and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

His attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia U., served his internship at Massachusetts General Hospital, then spent the next three years with the Second Air Force. He was discharged as a captain, then served as chief of medicine at the Veterans Hospital in Rocky Hill, Conn. In 1951 he joined a partnership in internal medicine at Hartford Hospital, serving there as a beloved physician for more than 30 years.

In retirement, he and his wife enjoyed travel and attended 29 Elderhostel trips. He acquired an extensive mineral collection that he enjoyed sharing with children and adults.

Chet is remembered for his kind ways and dry sense of humor. His devoted wife of 61 years, Naomi, son Chester, daughter Linda Beyer, brother Henry, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren survive him. His daughter Wendy Wallick died in 1994.

The family requests that memorials be sent to the Alzheimer’s Assn. of Concord. The class mourns the loss of this good man.

The Class of 1937



When Frank died May 11, 2003, ’37 lost one of its most talented and generous classmates. The Princeton Packet described him as “a Renaissance man,” and his accomplishments were many and varied.

Frank came to us from Cleveland U. School, majored in history, and graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a Rhodes Scholarship. After earning a master’s in jurisprudence from Oxford and a law degree from Yale, he served in the Navy in the South Pacific. He then practiced law in Cleveland until returning to Princeton as Pres. Goheen’s assistant in 1957.

The following years brought forth Frank’s philanthropy and extraordinary fundraising abilities. Joining the board of the Metropolitan Opera, he greatly increased its endowment, and became its president from 1977-84. Typical of his egalitarian spirit, he donated the Metropolitan’s cafeteria for staff and artists.

Other beneficiaries of Frank’s philanthropy included the Marlboro School of Music, Sarah Lawrence College, Lincoln Center, and the Cleveland Orchestra. He donated the Taplin Auditorium at Princeton, and was a patron of the Institute for Advanced Study, with a particular interest in preserving the surrounding woods.

We will never forget his piano playing at Reunions and his service to ’37 — at his death he was chairman of Planned Giving. Survivors include his beloved wife of 50 years, Peggy; son David; daughters Caroline Ruschell and Jennifer Jerome; stepdaughters Jennifer Dickerman, Martha Kelley, and Susan Sichel; brother Thomas ’42; sister Clara Rankin; 12 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. We offer our condolences to them all.

The Class of 1937



Frank died Nov. 25, 2003.

He came to us from Princeton HS. He majored in French and was awarded the Alden Memorial Prize in the French department, and the Italian government prize. After graduation, he taught languages in high school and did private tutoring.

Frank joined the Army as a private and left as a captain, serving in the chemical section of the Second Army and receiving the Army Commendation Medal.

He married Mildred Baumgarten in 1943 and moved to Graettinger, Iowa, where he was with the Graettinger State Bank until 1979, when he retired as vice president. For many years, Frank spent his summers in Manasquan, N.J.

After retirement, he moved to Fountain Hills, Ariz., where Mildred died in 1988. In 1992, Frank married Coey Schacht, who survives him.

For our 50th reunion Frank wrote, “My hobbies are swimming, bridge, walking, poker, reading, and traveling. Since retiring, we have spent some time at home in Iowa, late summer and early fall on the Jersey Shore, and three or four months on the Florida west coast or in Arizona. Not very exciting but very enjoyable.”

Besides his widow, he is survived by his brothers, Donald F. and Walter. To them and his many friends, we offer sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1937



Findley died Oct. 14, 2003, in Southern Pines, N.C., where he hadlived since retiring.

Findley and his wife, Martha, whom he married in Vienna in 1953, had lived in many places around the world during his 32 years in the Foreign Service and six years with the UN. He attended Harvard from 1950-51 and was a student at the National War College in Washington from 1961-62. He was a member of the Institute for Strategic Studies in London. Some of his early assignments were in Madrid, Brussels, Warsaw, Martinique, and Vienna. But he told us that one of the highlights of later years was the Class of ’39’s 1972 visit to Quito, Ecuador, where he was then stationed as ambassador.

Findley is survived by Martha and his two sisters. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939



Burrell died Dec. 19, 2003, in Cleveland Heights, where he lived since retirement.

Except for Army service in the Pacific, where he was awarded a Purple Heart, Burrell spent his entire career with Union Carbide Corp., in several states. After he retired as purchasing manager in the Battery Products Division in 1986, he concentrated on golf and volunteering at YES, Inc., a workshop for the handicapped in Cleveland, where his son was working. Burrell was on the board and ran the workshop. One summer he decided to see how many days in a row he could play golf without getting bored. He played 102 straight days, from July to October.

Burrell and Jane Wray were married in 1948. Their daughter, Sally, and her husband live in Houston. Their son, Bill, who is handicapped but works each day at YES, lived at home with them. Jane died several years ago. To Sally and Bill, and Burrell’s two grandchildren, we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939



George died Sept. 5, 2003, in Tulsa, Okla., his home since he retired as senior vice president of McGraw-Hill Publishing in 1971.

George moved to Tulsa for a consulting assignment with the Oil and Gas Journal. Upon completing it, he began a second career as a stockbroker with several national firms until he retired again in 1999. During WWII George served as senior liaison officer for G-3 operations of the Sixth Army’s Leyte, Luzon, and Mindoro campaigns. Due to his acute knowledge of Army logistics, he was chosen to write the official Sixth Army Report of the Pacific for Gen. MacArthur, a report still regarded by historians at the US War College as the best accounting of action seen during the entire war. He was awarded four battle stars, the Philippines Liberation Ribbon with two battle stars, and the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster.

George was interred at Arlington [Va.] National Cemetery. He is survived by his wife, Irene; daughter Helen; sons George III and David; four grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter. We extend to them our sympathy as we salute our much-honored friend.

The Class of 1939



After battling cancer for several years, Hugh died at home in Norfolk, Conn., Aug. 24, 2003.

After Princeton he graduated from Harvard Law School in 1942, and immediately enlisted in the infantry, moving from basic training to OCS, and was appointed a forward observer for the artillery of the 12th Armored Division. Hugh saw active combat in France and Germany, earning the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and two Purple Hearts before he was mustered out as a captain.

After brief stints as a New York lawyer and as an analyst for the CIA, Hugh took a job with Williams Brothers, a pipeline-construction company based in Tulsa, where he spent three years learning the intricacies of pipeline engineering and construction management. Based on this experience, he conceived, found funding for, and helped manage construction of the first LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) pipeline system in the US. MAPCO, as the company became known, grew rapidly, eventually joining the Fortune 500. Hugh returned to law in 1971, practicing in Canaan, Conn., for the next 17 years.

Hugh’s wife, Tibby, predeceased him in 1998. His two sons, James and MacGregor ’86, survive him, as do his two stepchildren and eight grandchildren, to all of whom we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939



Bob died Feb. 21, 2004, after a long bout with Alzheimer’s.

A New Trier HS graduate, he majored in politics at Princeton, was a member of our ROTC contingent, was active in the Westminster Society, joined Court Club, and roomed with Jim Stone.

Bob was commissioned in the Field Artillery just after graduation. In 1942 he was shipped to Hawaii, and then saw action on Saipan, Tinian, Leyte, and Okinawa, serving as a captain and commanding the headquarters battery of the 225th Field Artillery Regiment.

Released from the Army in 1946, Bob studied for the ministry at McCormick Theo-logical Seminary, and by our 10th reunion, was pastor of the Congregational Church in East Derry, N.H. Continuing his studies, he earned a PhD from Harvard in 1959.

However, by 1958 Bob had joined the Dept. of Religion at the U. of Tulsa, becoming chairman of the department before accepting emeritus status in 1990. A sabbatical in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1964-65 turned him into a Europhile, and he returned for a second sabbatical in 1974-75.

Bob’s first wife, June Elizabeth Whamond, predeceased him. In 1978 he married Belva Lou Pascoe, who survives, as do his children, Robert James and Judith Lynn Abernethy; his stepchildren, David and Scott Dickman, Amy Gray, and Deborah Henderson; three grandchildren; and eight step-grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Bill (known to many of us as “Sammy”) died Jan. 6, 2004, after a brief illness.

At Princeton he majored in philosophy, joined Tower Club, and roomed all four years with Bob Murray. Entering the Army in 1941, Bill went to OCS and then became a platoon leader with the 90th Infantry Division. He was then appointed aide to the commanding general, and with him to the headquarters of the XII Corps. He left the Army in 1945 as a major.

After 10 years as a partner in a small private business, Bill joined Corning [N.Y.] Glass Works as a process engineer. He went on to a very successful career as production superintendent and plant manager, retiring as corporate director for industrial safety and hygiene in 1982.

His wife of almost 40 years, Margaret Conway, died in 1989, and he married Florence Cousins Worster in 1993. After several years they moved to Maine, spending summers in Southwest Harbor on Mt. Desert Island and winters in Topsham, where Bill could keep up with his sailing.

In addition to Florence, Bill is survived by his daughter, Nancy Singham; his sons, William Jr. and Douglas; stepsons Arthur and Larry Worster; stepdaughter Mary Lou Anderson; brothers Robert and John; sister Susan Stott; 13 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

The Class of 1941



Don Vreeland, dedicated overseer of many of ’42’s highly successful annual mini-reunions, died Feb. 26, 2004, at Meadow Lakes in Hightstown, N.J.

He prepared at the Lance School and at Hotchkiss. At Princeton, Don earned honors in the School of Public and International Affairs. He was business manager of the Daily Princetonian, a member of Triangle Club, and president of Cloister Inn.

After four years in WWII as instructor in Field Artillery School, Don assumed management of his family’s textile manufacturers agency in NYC. In 1951 he married Margaretta “Peggy” Waller. They had four children: Karolyn, Douglas, Patricia, and Garrett.

Our gregarious classmate was a superb organizer. During his 15 years in textiles he contributed conspicuously to trade-association activities and management. In 1961, Don entered the securities industry as a broker with several companies, including H.G. Wellington & Co., until his retirement in 1994. Don, Peggy, and the children had wonderful summers boating, fishing, and swimming at their seashore cottage.

Ever devoted to his alma mater, Don served on our class executive committee and as president of the alumni board of Cloister Inn.

The class offers its profound sympathy to Peggy, the couple’s four children, and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1942



Tubby Waller, son of E. C. Waller ’14, died at home Jan. 17, 2004, in Evans, Ga.

He prepared at Augusta Junior College. At Princeton he majored in economics and was a member of Charter Club. Following graduation, Tubby served four years in the Army Air Force in the European and Pacific theaters, advancing from private to captain.

In 1948 he married Sue Breen, who with their four children — Ellen, Edith, Suzanne, and Earll III — survives him.

Tubby devoted most of his career to the textile business in the Graniteville Co. in Atlanta. Having served there in various capacities for 37 years, he retired in 1985 as production planner.

Tubby enjoyed athletics and enthusiastically supported Princeton. He served his community as a vestryman of the Church of the Good Shepherd in Evans and as a board member of the Episcopal Day School in Augusta.

Tubby leaves us with fond memories. Former Princeton roommate Bruce McDuffie wrote: “For all his friends in the Class of ’42, especially Bill Bingham and other members of Charter Club, Tubby was a good, dedicated, and polite role model for our early years, and he loved golf.”

To Sue, the children, and eight grand-children, the class conveys its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942



We lost Don Feb. 27, 2004; he was 82.

He prepared at Kingsley Prep School in Essex Falls, N.J., and transferred to Princeton from Dartmouth. While at Princeton Don was a member of Quadrangle Club and on the editorial board of the Tiger.

During WWII, Don was commissioned in the Marine Corps, serving in the Pacific as a forward artillery observer and later serving in China. He earned a law degree from U. Va. Law School.

His business career was deeply involved with Montgomery Ward, from which he retired as customer-relations director (corporate) after 35 years of service.

Don is survived by his wife of 56 years, the former Emily Fredette; two daughters, Christina Goodlander and Catherine Amberg; two sons, Christian and Peter; and eight grandchildren.

To his survivors, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt sympathies.

The Class of 1943



John died Feb. 20, 2004; he was 82.

A Concord, N.C., native, John prepared at the McCallie School in Chattanooga, and graduated from Princeton with a degree in English. He then graduated from Presbyterian Faith Theological Seminary, and followed up with additional graduate work at Union Theological Seminary.

A Presbyterian minister for 52 years, including 10 during his retirement, John also served as a pastor in a Virginia coal-mining camp and as a missionary in Brazil.

In 1968, John submitted the following for our 25th reunion: “I hope that 25 years from now it will be said that more than a few of us were simply trying to be Christians in the positions we took.’’

Predeceased by his wife, the former Jean Barlow, in 1993, John is survived by two daughters, Patricia and Gay; a son, John III; and six grandchildren.

To the entire family, we extend our most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



Perry died Feb. 12, 2004, in Towson, Md.

He prepared at Thatcher School in California and majored in biology at Princeton, where he was a member of Elm Club. He graduated from Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1947, and was a research fellow at Johns Hopkins.

He served in the Air Force Medical Corps during the Korean War, was discharged as a captain, and promptly went to Turkey to marry Sally Evans, daughter of his former commanding officer. Perry’s father, an Episcopal rector, presided at the Embassy service.

He joined the Lock Raven VA Hospital and rose to be chief of outpatient services. Perry was on the faculty of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the U. of Maryland Medical Center. He was a member of Sigma Xi and a devotee of choral music.

In addition to his wife, he leaves sons Christopher ’82, David, and Peter, and six grandchildren, to whom his classmates send their condolences.

The Class of 1944



Bud Friesell died in Pittsburgh, Feb. 26, 2004. His father was William H. Friesell Jr. ’16.

Bud graduated from the Lawrenceville School. At Princeton he majored in geology, was active in swimming, Triangle Club, and Cottage Club. For three years he served as a liaison pilot for the 635th Field Artillery Battalion, flying 69 missions and leaving the service with the rank of captain.

Bud was a chartered life underwriter in estate planning for Home Life Insurance Co. and for the Phoenix Life Companies in Pittsburgh. He was president of the Long Vue Club, shooting his age at least once a year since he turned 71. He was a life member of the Syria Temple and Royal Order of Jesters, and was active for the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts.

He was married for 54 years to Barbara Funke. Bud leaves his wife, Mary Janet Cotter, sons Lee and Peter, and daughter Susan. The class regrets his passing.

The Class of 1944



Jim died Mar. 15, 2004, after a long battle with cancer.

He was the son of Cecil H. Gamble 1905. His relatives included Sidney ’12, Edwin ’14, Clarence ’14, Hugh Richey ’28, and David ’37.

He grew up in Cincinnati and prepared at Choate. At Princeton he roomed with Jim Lotspeich, majored in history, played varsity tennis, and was a member of Quadrangle Club. He was commissioned in 1943 in the ROTC program, and served in France and Germany as a field artillery officer. He received the Bronze Star for placing the first military phone line across the Rhine, and left the service with the rank of captain. He felt that military service opened our eyes to people, languages, and countries previously unknown.

Jim came home, married Harriet Seaton, and earned an MBA at Harvard. He formed his own successful investment-counseling and management company in Pasadena, Calif., where he served on numerous community boards, including Huntington Memorial Hospital and Scripps College, as he did in Harbor Springs, Mich., his summer home.

He and Harriet raised two daughters, Tracy and Terry. After Harriet’s death, he married Helen Lee Wall, to whom, along with his daughters, four grandchildren, and one great-grandchild, the class offers its heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1944



Tom Rauch died at Land’s End, his home in Easton, Md., Mar. 2, 2004.

The son of Randolph Stewart Rauch ’13, and the brother of R. Stewart Rauch ’36, Tom came to Princeton from St. Paul’s School. He majored in psychology, was on the 150-lb. crew, and was a member of Colonial Club. His roommates included Stew Mittnacht and George Buck.

Tom served in the Army as an aerial observer, and was awarded the Purple Heart and the Air Medal with Six Oak Leaf Clusters. He married the late Jean Ballinger in 1942 and made his home principally in the Philadelphia area. He rose from vice president for marketing at Smith, Kline & French Laboratories, to chairman of the board, retiring in 1972.

He is survived by a sister; a son, Thomas Jr.; two daughters, Paton and Frances; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. To them, his classmates express their regrets.

The Class of 1944



Dave Rhodes died July 20, 2003, after a long and courageous battle with emphysema. He was 79.

Dave was a native Washingtonian and entered Princeton from Eastern HS, where in his senior year he served as colonel of the Cadet Corps of all the DC high schools. His Princeton education was interrupted in 1943 for service in the Navy as an officer with the 7th Amphibious Force in New Guinea, and in the campaign for the Philippines. Returning to Princeton, Dave received a degree in clinical psychology cum laude in 1948 and served as president of Terrace Club. He received a graduate degree in psychology from the U. of Michigan.

Dave worked in many aspects of psychology, including a period of teaching and service with the CIA. He later was a staff member of the Brookings Institution in DC, conducting conferences in public policy for senior government executives. After leaving Brookings he became a consultant in clinical psychology and lived in Reston, Va. There he was a founding member of the Unitarian Universalist Church and served on the church board for several years.

Dave is survived by his former wife, Loretta Burnett, their daughters, Kim Evangelista and Karen Federow, and three grandchildren. To all of them, his classmates extend deep sympathy.

The Class of 1945



Roy Leaf, a West Orange, N.J., native, died Feb. 11, 2004, at his recent home in San Juan, Puerto Rico, of diabetes and cancer.

Entering Princeton in 1942 to major in economics, he served in Europe from1943-46, as a P51 pilot with the Air Force’s 358th Fighter Squadron, earning three Air Medals including one for D-Day. A member of the Triangle, Outing, and Flying Clubs at Princeton, Roy graduated with honors in 1948. He then earned a BFA at Immaculate Heart College in LA, and an MFA at UCLA, where he received several awards.

Traveling to France inspired him to develop an expertise in history. From 1960-74 he was executive director for Friends of City Center Music and Drama, and from 1974 until his retirement in 1990, he was executive director of Skowhegan [Maine] School of Painting and Sculpture.

Roy is survived by a brother, Robert A., and several nieces and nephews. We join them in mourning the passing of a cultured and engaged artist and classmate.

The Class of 1946


Charles N. Chous ’47

Four semesters at Princeton transformed Charlie’s life. He arrived in ’45 as a pre-med, V-12 transferee from Columbia (having previously served at sea on the USS Iowa). Released to civilian life, he switched to Princeton’s fabled English Dept. and fell under the spell of Donald Stauffer, whose sparkling precepts, according to Charlie, “transported us to faraway places and times,” and inspired him to take up a teacher’s life.

For 35 joyful years he served various schools, mostly in San Bernardino, as a teacher, administrator, and innovator. In 1955 he met and married Alice Seltzer, who shared his profession and his passion for it. In 1982 they retired to Nevis, Minn., to enjoy a home stocked abundantly with books and near two lakes where Charlie enjoyed fishing, witnessing nature, and reading.

On Aug. 31, 2003, a shocked Alice found Charlie lying at peace in his boat, a victim of heart failure.

Countless former students (some now Princeton alumni) still revere Charlie’s ability to inspire the love of learning that transports and transforms. As his entries in each of ’47’s yearbooks show, he, in turn, never lost his profound love for Princeton and the magic it worked.

To Alice and the family, we make this modest tribute to Charlie with admiration and affection.

The Class of 1947



Mike died Sept. 28, 2001.

A fourth-generation San Franciscan, Mike entered Princeton from the Thacher School, and though he attended Princeton only his freshman year, he developed lasting friendships and ties to the University.

After Army service in Korea, during which he earned the Korean War Commendation Medal and two battle-star medals, he entered merchandising in SF, first as manager of marine sales for his family’s business, W.P. Fuller and Co., then as a principal in Dennis and Dorst Sporting Goods. Lastly, for 25 years, he had his own firm, Property Management.

Mike was a longtime supporter of the schools he attended, the Society of California Pioneers, SF’s fine art museums, Guide Dogs for the Blind, the Salvation Army, and Boys and Girls Town in Nebraska. His many friends will always remember him as kind and generous.

Mike, who was single, leaves a younger brother, Thomas W., two nieces, and one nephew. To them, the class extends its sincerest condolences.

The Class of 1952



Mac died Nov. 7, 2002, at the U. of Pittsburgh Medical Center Montefiore Hospital.

He prepared for Princeton at Linsly Mili-tary Institute and the Hill School. In 1950, midway through his pursuit of an AB degree and shortly after joining Cannon Club, Mac left our class for the Air Force, where he served four years, mostly as a drill sergeant.

On leaving the Air Force he decided, because of deaths in his family, to finish his university education at his father’s alma mater, the U. of Pittsburgh. He received his AB there in 1956.

From 1956 to his retirement in 1996, Mac enjoyed a successful career as general manager of sales for Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel. At the time of his death, he was resident of Oakmont, Pa., where he was a member of the Oakmont Country Club. Above all, Mac was a loving family man and a faithful friend.

To his beloved wife of 47 years, Shirley; his children, Bruce, Betsy, and David; grandchildren Kate, Andrew, Tyler, and Bradford; sister, Shirley Weaver; and his many friends, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1952



Jim, who spent 27 years at Stanford, rising from an assistant professor to vice president and provost, died of a severe respiratory ailment Feb. 16, 2004, in Newport Beach, Calif.

Born in Sidney, Nebr., Nov. 4, 1931, Jim came to Princeton from Omaha North HS and immediately put his musical talents to work. He sang in the freshman Glee Club and choir, and was a member of the Univer-sity band, serving as its librarian, assistant manager, and manager. He was business manager of Whig-Clio and active in the debate panel. Campus roommates were Ned Conquest, Dick Wardrip, and Dick Hobson. Hobson remembers Jim as a good friend and one proud to be from the Midwest.

Jim left Princeton following his junior year and married Bryn Mawr student Janice Grimminger in 1952. He received economics degrees from the U. of Minnesota and started his teaching career there. He moved to Stanford in 1965 and began his academic ascent, first serving as chair of the economics department.

After distinguished service at Stanford, he stepped down and joined Freedom Communications, Inc., a newspaper, radio, and TV enterprise. He wrote in our 45th yearbook that he was having too much fun to retire. Communications had always fascinated him.

Heartfelt sympathy goes to Janice, daughter Anne, and sons James J. and Stuart.

The Class of 1953


The Rev. Harry Eid of Winsted, Conn., died at his home Jan. 19, 2004, after a long illness.

A graduate of Lynbrook [N.Y.] HS, Harry attended Princeton and transferred to Kentucky Wesleyan U., where he received his bachelor’s degree in religion. He then received a master’s degree from Drew U. While serving as minister at the Winsted United Methodist Church, he worked with Dr. Norman Vincent Peale and Lowell Thomas on various community activities. He later served at several churches in the Hornell-Canisteo, N.Y., area. He remained active in the ministry until he lost his sight.

Harry was a Marine Corps veteran. He was a teacher at Northwest Connecticut Community College and chairman of the Republican Town Committee.

His greatest love was for his family, friends, and, most of all, his grandchildren. The class sends its sympathy to June, Harry’s wife of 49 years; his son, Wayne E.; daughters Darlene Grant, Dawn Renfrew, Debbie Eid-Kerr, and Tracy Morales-Gableman; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1954



We lost Dave Jan. 9, 2004.

Born in Buffalo in 1940, he attended Nichols School. At Princeton, he majored in politics, took his meals at Terrace Club, and was a member of the Glee Club, WPRB, Orange Key, St. Paul’s Society, and the Democratic Club. Senior year he roomed with Bob Golden, Toby Nelson, and John Thompson.

After graduating from Yale Law School in 1964 and serving a federal court clerkship, Dave spent many years in public service in Alaska and California. In SF, in addition to a private law practice, he was active in community affairs and ran for public office several times, reflecting his lifelong passion for politics. Following his law career, he found a new passion in teaching and spent his last three years as professor of English and business at Assumption U. in Thailand.

Dave was active in the Northern California Alumni Assn. and the Schools Committee. We saw him regularly at major reunions and we will miss his friendship. He leaves three children, Jennifer, Gregory, and Michael; a sister; his parents, Hugh and Helen; a grandson; and a niece and nephew. With his family and friends, we mourn his passing.

The Class of 1961



Fred died Sept. 19, 2003, in Princeton of a respiratory infection that turned into pneumonia. He suffered from ALS and was wheelchair-bound his last few years but was nonetheless, in the words of daughter Liese, “healthy and happy until coming down with the pneumonia.”

Fred attended Trenton [N.J.] Central HS before Princeton, where he majored in chemistry. He earned a master’s in chemistry from the U. of California, Irvine before returning home to work for RCA (later Sarnoff Corp.) for more than 27 years until retiring in 2002 for health reasons.

While at Sarnoff, Fred was instrumental in founding and developing the Minorities in Engineering Program to help minority high school students. So influential was he that the program was renamed the Dixon Mentoring in Engineering Program in his honor.

Though his life was filled with tragedy — he lost his parents, two brothers, a sister, and his wife, Marthaliese — Fred never lost his beguiling smile or his love for life.

“He refused to be bitter or act like a victim,” Liese said, “and after my mom died in 1999, he rediscovered through our church a longtime friend of the family, Marion Fisher, and she was a source of comfort and love to him after that.”

Fred will be remembered fondly by all who knew him at Princeton. He is survived by three children, Damien, Liese, and Dee Dee; granddaughter Leila; fiancée Marion Fisher; five brothers, two sisters, and legions of loving colleagues.

The Class of 1971



Donville died of a heart attack Oct. 30, 2003, in Miami. He was 38.

Donville, affectionately known as “D’Raye,” came to Princeton from Munro College in Jamaica, West Indies. During a little more than a year at Princeton, D’Raye made an enormous impression. He quickly became well known for his sense of humor and infectious, uninhibited exuberance, and counted innumerable friends from all reaches of the Princeton community.

D’Raye was active in Expressions, a dance company, and track and field. After leaving Princeton, he worked as a model in Europe and in the hotel industry in Jamaica, and traveled the world. He later graduated from the International Fine Arts College in Miami.

Our class extends its deepest sympathy to his wife, Charlotte; son Kenzie; mother, Inez; sisters Jacinth and Carol; and brothers Glaspole, Clive, Lennox, Dillette, Wilbert Jr., Anthony, and David.

The Class of 1989


Graduate Alumni


Henry Jandl, renowned architect and professor emeritus of architecture at Princeton, died in Richmond, Va., Jan. 3, 2004, after a fall in his home. He was 93.

A member of the Princeton faculty from 1940-75, Jandl designed private homes and civic buildings throughout the local community, including additions to Westminster Choir College and Princeton Country Day School. A proponent of contemporary design, he co-directed a 1946 conference on urban planning that was attended by such well-known figures as Robert Moses, Frank Lloyd Wright, Walter Gropius, and Mies van der Rohe.

Jandl earned a bachelor’s degree from Carnegie Mellon and an MFA from Princeton. In 1937 he also won the Paris Prize, awarded to the most promising young architect in the US, to study at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts.

After retirement, Jandl moved to Richmond, spending his time in volunteer work. He also enjoyed watercolor painting and carving wooden bowls.

He leaves his wife, Nancy; his daughter Margaret; seven stepchildren, and many step-grandchildren and step-great-grandchildren. His first wife, Gertrude, and his son H. Ward, preceded him in death.



Alec Skolnick, well-known psychiatrist in the SF Bay area, died Jan. 6, 2004, at his San Mateo home. He was 89.

Son of Latvian immigrants, Skolnick earned his undergraduate degree from Harvard and a PhD in psychology from Princeton. Returning to Harvard, he completed his medical training in the wake of Pearl Harbor and served as a psychiatrist in the Army Medical Corps from 1944-46.

After the war, his interests turned to community health and child psychiatry. He founded the San Mateo County Mental Health Clinic, a nationwide model for community-based mental health programs. He also made research trips to the former Soviet Union, to other Soviet-bloc countries, and to Israel to study the rearing of infants and young children.

In order to give up smoking, Skolnick embarked upon knitting and needlework as he listened to his patients, combining vocation with avocation. He is survived by his wife, Emily, a son, two daughters, and five grandchildren.



Robert A. Harman, of Bridgeport, Conn., died June 29, 2003. He was 88.

Harman was a 1937 graduate of Yale and studied at Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. He earned a PhD in chemistry from Princeton and a law degree from NYU. He worked for 43 years as a patent attorney for Allied Chemical Corp. and helped launch its nylon fiber business. He was a lifelong supporter of education, serving as president of the Roway-ton [Conn.] PTA, leading efforts in the early 1960s to integrate Norwalk, Conn., schools, and volunteering as a tutor for disadvantaged children and adults in his retirement.

Harman is survived by Evelyn, his wife of 53 years, sons Thomas and James, and five grandchildren.



Howard Adelson died Dec. 5, 2003; he was 78.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., he graduated from NYU in 1945 and joined the Army as a lieutenant in the Pacific theater. After the war, Adelson did graduate work at Columbia U. and at Princeton, where his studies for a doctorate in history were interrupted by service in the Air Force during the Korean War.

Adelson began teaching economic history, early medieval history, and ancient and medieval numismatics at City College of NY in 1954 and remained there nearly 50 years. He also developed the PhD program in medieval history at the Graduate Center in the City U. of NY.

Outside academia, he was an ardent Zionist active in Israeli affairs. For more than 20 years he wrote a weekly column for the Jewish Press that had a large following.

Adelson was a fellow of the American Numismatic Society and a member of the Explorers Club. He served on the board of governors of the Hebrew U. of Jerusalem and chaired the Anna Sobel Levy Foundation, which supports junior US military officers for study in Israel.

Adelson is survived by two children and one grandchild.



Willard Oxtoby, professor emeritus of comparative religion, died in Toronto Mar. 6, 2003, of colon cancer. He was 69.

Founding director of the U. of Toronto’s Center for Religious Studies, Oxtoby was known worldwide for his scholarship in religious traditions large and small. He was particularly expert in the ancient Persian faith known as Zoroastrianism, perhaps the world’s first monotheistic religion.

Oxtoby was born in Kentfield, Calif., to a family of ministers. He received his undergraduate training at Stanford and later pursued graduate work at Princeton in oriental languages and literature, first completing an MA. Newly wed to Layla Jurji, daughter of one of his Princeton professors, he spent 1958-60 in Jerusalem as a member of the team of scholars translating the Dead Sea Scrolls. Subsequently, he completed his PhD at Princeton, held a couple of teaching posts, and did further graduate studies at Harvard before settling at the U. of Toronto for the remainder of his career.

Oxtoby was a devout Christian and vocal proponent of interfaith dialogue who believed passionately that world peace depended upon the committed understanding of other religions.

He is survived by a son and daughter.

OREN HOLTROP *26, Philosophy, Sept. 3, 2000.

JOHN N. SEAMAN *36, Woodrow Wilson School, Sept. 9, 2002.

FRANCIS B. CRAMER *37, Chemistry, July 30, 2003.

KEITH J. LAIDLER *40, Chemistry, Aug. 26, 2003.

MARSHALL C. PEASE III *42, Chemistry, June 3, 2001.

WILLIAM J. JACOBI *48, Electrical Engineering, July 1, 2003.

CARL N. SALDIN *52, Material Sciences Engineering/Aeronautical Engineering, Dec. 11, 2002.

JOHN E. CURRY *54, Mechanical Engineering, Dec. 21, 2003.

ROBERT E. McCARTER *61, Psychology, July 1, 2003.

MORINO DOBROWOLNY *67, Astrophysical Sciences, 2003.

RICHARD E. PALMER *71, Physics, Jan. 1, 2002.

SEPPO O. SARI *71, Physics, July 11, 2003.

SURESH B. GOGTE *73, Woodrow Wilson School, Jan. 24, 2003.

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary