human resources link

September 15, 2004: Memorials

Memorials online: PAW posts all memorials on our Web site, including some that appear in a longer version. Click here for “Memorials by Class,” and then on the class year.


Fred Petrie died in Elmira, N.Y., May 6, 2004. He was 96.

Before coming to Princeton, he attended Choate School, where he was a member of the glee club, choir, literary club, and jazz orchestra. He roomed alone at Princeton freshman and sophomore years, and in his senior year roomed with E.B. Wilson at 333 Pyne Hall. He was a member of Court Club.

After graduation Fred enrolled at MIT, obtaining a degree in architecture. He returned to Elmira and, in addition to architectural work, was involved in community affairs. He was a longtime member of the board of Steele Memorial Library, and worked with productions of the Elmira Little Theater and the Elmira Choral and Symphony Society. Fred was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Elmira, where he served as elder, deacon, and trustee.

Fred is survived by several cousins. His interest in Princeton remained strong and effective through his consistent and generous contributions to Annual Giving. The class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1930



Frank Buchner, our class vice president for Annual Giving and class agent from 1964-69, died June 26, 2004, of Alzheimer’s disease. He was 92.

A stalwart of his 1930 Exeter class as class correspondent, Frank was equally active in the affairs of ’34, notably as the author of the excellent piece, “Some Reflections of Our Four Years on the Campus,” at the end of our 60-year directory. As Frank once summarized his life after Princeton, he went to graduate school for a year, “worked on a newspaper and published two weeklies, labored in public relations, and spent 15 busy years in the ad-agency business. But, best of all, I was never bored.”

Frank was married in 1936 to Dorothy Woolley, and they had a daughter, Faith (Mrs. P.J.) Zarro. Dot died in 1989. In 1993 Frank married Elsa Hart, “a lady,” he wrote a year later, “whom I first met about 25 years ago when she tried to sell me advertising.”

Elsa survives, as do daughter Faith, three grandsons, and two great-grandchildren. To them, we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934



Al, who only a few years ago, wrote, “I am still swimming a mile almost every day,” died May 6, 2004, at Morris View Nursing Home, in Morristown, N.J. He was 91.

With his wife, Marian Prince, whom he married in 1942 and who predeceased him in 2000, Al ran the Jodo Gift Shop in Morristown. His younger son, Robert, joined his parents in the store, allowing them to spend at least three months every winter in Florida, where Al kept busy, in his words, “playing some bridge, doing the crossword, and trying to hang in there.”

Al was a loyal Princetonian and a great reuner. He is survived by two sons, Arthur P. ’71, a former class president and secretary, and Robert, and five grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to Temple B’Nai Or, James St., Morristown, NJ 07960.

The Class of 1934



Chuck died June 22, 2002, from complications of Parkinson’s disease.

He prepared at Newark Academy. At Princeton he majored in physics, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi. At Princeton he also received his master’s in physics in 1938 and a PhD in 1940.

In 1940 he joined Remington Arms Co., rising to supervisor of fundamental research. In 1961 he moved on to RCA’s Missile Test Project at Cape Canaveral as manager of systems evaluation. During this time he was also the first dean of the graduate school of Florida Institute of Technology. In 1966 he moved to RCA Corp.’s Astroelectronics Division in Princeton as a senior member, technical staff. In 1969 he and his wife moved to their family home in Enfield, N.H. Soon after, he became president of Canaan College.

Chuck was listed in the American Men of Science. He held two patents and had 35 articles published. He received the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Florida Institute of Technology.

He is survived by his wife, Olivene, whom he married in 1944; daughters Cory C. Snow and C. Suzanne Brown; a son, C.S. Cummings III; and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1936



Bill died of heart failure March 20, 2004, in Ambler, Pa.

He prepped at the Kent [Conn.] School, earned his degree in history, and graduated with honors and membership in Phi Beta Kappa, and letters in football, wrestling, and tennis. At our 50th reunion, he wrote that he still played tennis, and that when he married Hope Knowles in 1943, she was ranked seventh among United States tennis players. Bill earned a law degree from Harvard in 1940 and enlisted in the Army Air Corps.

He flew B-24s over Germany and Yugoslavia. On his 11th mission, Bill and his crew were shot down, but Yugoslav partisans guided them back to Italy. He flew more than 21 additional missions, became a squadron commanding officer, and received a Distinguished Flying Cross and an Air Medal with three clusters.

He settled in Chestnut Hill, Pa., and became a senior litigator with Ballard, Spahr, Andrews and Ingersoll from 1945-80. For the next five years, he was assistant attorney under Gov. Richard Thornburgh. During the 1950s and ’60s, Bill was chairman of the Philadelphia Republican Party, was president of the Philadelphia Urban League in 1967, ran unsuccessfully for City Council, and often clashed with Police Commissioner Frank Rizzo over police treatment of minorities. One of his sons said, “My father had broad shoulders and never ducked out of work; he stood up and did the job without grandstanding.”

We offer sincere sympathy to Hope; sons W. Lee ’66, Thomas ’68, Stephen, Harry,

and John; daughters May Rogers ’79 and Hope; eight grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1937



Fred died Nov. 25, 2003, at Cranberry Pointe Rehabilitation and Skilled Care Center in Harwick, Mass., after a long illness. He was 90.

Born and raised in New Britain, Conn., he came to us from Hun School in Princeton. He graduated with a degree in geology, held the Class of ’22 scholarship, earned a varsity letter playing football for three years, and was manager of Cannon Club.

Fred worked for Tidewater Associated Petroleum in New York City as a sales representative, and also in real estate and advertising. In 1941, he entered the Army and served as a captain with the 522nd Field Artillery, 442nd Combat Team in the European theater until his discharge in 1946.

He worked for General Motors Corp. with the Chevrolet Division in Connecticut and New York, retiring from the New York office after working in marketing and sales. He retired to Dennis, Mass., in 1976, and was a member of Dennis Pines and Dennis Highlands golf clubs.

He leaves his beloved wife of 60 years, Zwelda, sons Gary and Dale, five grandchildren, and a great-grandson. The family asks that memorials be made to Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders Association for Research, Cambridge, MA 02139. To his family, we offer our deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1937



Jake died May 6, 2004, at JML Care Center in Falmouth, Mass.

A native of Reading, Pa., he prepared at the King School in Stamford, Conn. At Princeton he majored in chemical engineering, roomed with Bill DeSousa, was on the freshman football and swimming teams, and was a member of Tiger Inn. After graduation, he worked for Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. before joining the Army Corps of Engineers, where he rose to the rank of major and served primarily in the southwest Pacific.

Returning to civilian life in 1945, Jake first worked for North American Rayon, then Socony Mobil (which later became Mobil Oil Co.), and traveled extensively in Africa, the Middle East, and Europe. In 1956 he settled in Portugal, becoming managing director and chairman of the board of Mobil Oil Portuguesa in Lisbon. In 1975 Jake returned to Stamford, and in 1983 moved to Cape Cod. He enjoyed sailing, fishing, gardening, and bird watching.

Jake was married to the late Ruth Edwards Fricker. He is survived by two sons, Jacob E. III, and Peter J., and three grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Ray died on April 4, 2004, in Tucson, Ariz.

Born in Brooklyn, he prepared at the Lawrenceville School. At Princeton he earned a degree in economics. He then attended Wharton Business School but was called to military service before finishing. After two years in the infantry, Ray transferred to the Army Air Corps in the European theater. As a bombardier, he flew missions over Nazi-occupied Europe. In March 1943, on his 12th mission, he was shot down and held as a POW in northern Germany until he was liberated by Russian troops 14 months later, when the war ended. Ray was awarded the Purple Heart and the Army Air Medal with three oak-leaf clusters.

Postwar, Ray made a success of several businesses. He was also an avid bridge player, a good tennis player and could “shoot his age” in golf. After retirement, he and his wife, the former Evelyn M. Lian, moved between Boca Raton in the winter and Mount Pocono, Pa., in the summer.

Having outlived his wife by 15 months, Ray is survived by four children and four grandchildren, to whom the class sends sincere condolences.

The Class of 1938



Bob died July 16, 2003, at Deborah Heart and Lung Center in Browns Mills, N.J.

He was the rector of All Saints’ Episcopal Church and previously had been rector of St. Simion’s Episcopal Church, both in Philadelphia.

Bob prepared at Germantown [Pa.] High School. At Princeton he majored in art and archaeology, and was a member of the Oriental Club and Gateway Club. In World War II he served in the Army and was a member of the Philadelphia Union League. Born in Chestnut Hill, he lived in Philadel-phia before moving in 1982 to Brant Beach, N.J., where he had been a summer and weekend resident since 1967. After retiring in 1982, he was a priest associate at Holy Inno-cents Episcopal Church in Beach Haven and St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Waretown.

Bob was predeceased by a son, Spencer, in 1999. Surviving are his wife of 55 years, the former Cynthia I. Spink; a son, William L.; a daughter, Cynthia Kim; a stepson, Robert C. Templeton; a daughter-in-law, Beverly MacDonald; four grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

The class extends its sympathy to Bob’s entire family.

The Class of 1938



Dick died Sept. 25, 2003, in his native city of Savannah, Ga.

After graduating from Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va., he came to Princeton, which his relatives back to the Class of 1785 had attended. He was active in sports, was on the Prince staff, and was manager of Quadrangle Club.

Following college, he attended the University of Virginia Medical School, graduating in 1942. He then served a year’s internship at St. Luke’s Hospital in New York City before entering the Army and serving in Europe during World War II.

Postwar, he completed his residency in 1948 and returned to Savannah to open his practice in pediatrics, caring for Savannah “little people” for 40 years until his retirement in 1988. He served as chief of staff at Candler Hospital and continued his military career as a member of the Georgia National Guard, retiring as a brigadier general. Dick was an active participant in many civic and church organizations.

He is survived by Marjorie, his wife of 58 years; his brother Cooper; daughters Christian, Jean, and Carolyn; son Richard III; and 10 grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Nick died April 13, 2004, in Westerly, R.I., after a long and difficult struggle with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.

He prepared at Blair Academy and Exeter where he was on the crew and wrestling teams and active in debating. At Princeton Nick majored in physics and was twice invited by Dr. Robert Oppenheimer to join the Manhattan Project. However, his life was ultimately dedicated to pediatric surgery. During World War II he served in the Army Medical Corps where he rose to the rank of major. Postwar, Nick practiced pediatric surgery at Children’s Hospital in Boston, entered private surgical practice in Syracuse and taught surgery at Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse. He became a resident of Charlestown, R.I., in 1994.

Nick’s wife of 49 years, Joyce, still hears from mothers who believe their children would not have grown up “without the help of God through Nick.”

Aside from medicine, Nick’s broad interests included astronomy, astrophysics, philosophy, classical music, comparative religion, and biblical archaeology.

To Joyce; sons Nicholas, John, Dean, and Matthew; Nick’s sister, Gretchen Stahl King; and all of his devoted family and friends, the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Palmer died Dec. 17, 2003, after a long illness.

He prepared at the Lawrenceville School, where he was on the track team and yearbook board. At Princeton he majored in mathematics, was on the track team, and was a member of Quadrangle Club. He earned his law degree from Harvard Law School in 1941.

Palmer served in the Army Air Corps from 1942-45. After the war, he became a partner in the firm of Way & Belasco in Wildwood, N.J., until 1984. He was a member of the New Jersey and American bar associations, and a former president of the Cape May County Bar Association.

Palmer was a civic and professional leader in Cape May County, serving as mayor of Wildwood Crest from 1948-56, and was a past president of the Wildwood Kiwanis Club. He was also an avid sportsman, fisherman, boater, and golfer.

He is survived by his wife of 63 years, the former Virginia Durell; four children, P. Martin III, John H., Judith Bouchard, and Elizabeth Marinelli; 10 grandchildren; and his sister, Ella Kay, to all of whom the class extends its sincere condolences.

The Class of 1938



Earl died Feb. 26, 2004, in Savannah, Ga.

He served with distinction as our class treasurer since 1997, first from his longtime home in South River, N.J., then from Savannah, where he moved in 2002 to be near his daughter, Leslie Wenger Fitzgerald. Leslie has since taken over his responsibilities as treasurer on behalf of ’39.

Earl retired from Hercules, Inc. after a 40-year career in polymer development and management. At the time of his death he was a member of Skidaway Island United Methodist Church in Savannah. Prior to moving to Georgia he was a trustee of Conklin United Methodist Church in South River and was active in the music center there. He was a past president of the South River Historical and Preservation Society, serving as town historian for a number of years.

Earl married Doris Henry in 1941. She died in 1993. Earl is survived by their two sons, George and Richard ’68, daughter Leslie, six grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. To them we offer our sincere sympathy at the loss of a good man who served so many so well.

The Class of 1939



Tom died May 25, 2004, of complications from Parkinson’s disease at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Tom was saluted by the Chicago Tribune as “one of a handful of visionary financial industry pioneers” in a 2002 book by Sidney LeBlanc titled Legacy’s History of Separately Managed Accounts.

Tom attended Pawling School and followed his brother, John ’39, to Princeton. His ancestor John Craven taught at Princeton in 1755, and Gerson Craven 1765 was his great-great-great-grandfather. Majoring in architecture, he was a member of Tiger Inn and the Two-Foot Club. After attending Princeton’s Graduate School of Architecture 1940-41, Tom joined the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II, serving in the European theater and reaching the rank of captain.

He became general manager of WEEI Radio in Boston and vice president of Columbia Broadcasting System in the 1950s. While in Boston, Tom served as regional vice president for ’40 and as president of the Massachusetts Broadcasters Association. Moving to Chicago in 1965, Tom joined Dempsey-Tegler, Inc., entering the world of stocks and bonds and “profoundly chang[ing] the business,” according to the Chicago Tribune.

Tom’s wife, Barbara Anne Sullivan, died after 32 years of marriage. To his son, Tom Jr.; his second wife, Barbara Elsen; and two grandsons, his classmates extend deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Bob, of Waysata, Minn., and Boca Grande, Fla., died May 26, 2004, in Venice, Fla., of complications from cancer.

The Star Tribune noted that “this former Minnesota legislator and grain trader appeared on the cover of the May 1943 Life magazine with a couple of other PT boat skippers from his squadron” having “scattered 12 [Japanese] warships that were heading toward Marine positions on Guadalcanal Island.” Later, Bob helped cover the landings in Normandy on D-Day. He left the Navy as a captain.

He prepared at Englewood [N.J.] High School and after Princeton he joined Cargill Inc. of Minneapolis in 1946. After four years, Bob became an independent grain-futures trader. He was elected president of the Minneapolis Grain Exchange and was board chairman of the National Grain Traders Council.

While in that area, Bob was elected vice president of the Princeton Alumni Association of the Northwest. In 1976 he was elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives, serving for six years. He enjoyed tennis, chess, and sailing with his wife of 60 years, Jesse, from Savannah, Ga., to Panama.

To Jesse; daughters Judith Deane, Margaret Franchot, and Elizabeth Gronland; brother Jack; eight grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren, his classmates extend their heartfelt sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Jack died June 2, 2004, in San Mateo, Calif.

He prepared at Horace Mann and Riverdale Country Schools in New York, and at La Villa in Lausanne, Switzerland. At Princeton, Jack majored in politics, was on the track and fencing teams, captaining the epee team to an undefeated season, and was a member of the Glee Club, yacht club, ski clubs, and Elm Club.

Jack entered the Navy after less than two years at Harvard Law School, and became commanding officer of LSM-220, spending four years in the Pacific theater and reaching the rank of lieutenant commander.

War service exposed Jack to the San Francisco area, and after earning his law degree at Harvard, he returned to San Francisco to marry Ana-Maria Orive of Guatemala in 1948 and to join the Bank of California. After several years at the law firm of Kelso, Corton and Ernst, he returned to banking to become vice president of Wells Fargo, remaining active in the American, California, and San Francisco bar associations.

Jack was an officer of the Princeton Alumni Association of Northern California and Nevada. He spent some summers at his family cottage on Chebeague Island, Maine.

He is survived by his wife, Ana-Maria; daughters Ana-Maria Zaugg, Alexandra Swafford, and Renee Nottebohm; and five grandchildren. To them, his classmates extend sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Ted died March 14, 2004, after a distinguished career in science.

He came to Princeton from South Hamilton, Mass. At college he majored in physics and was a member of Terrace Club. Married in September 1940, he continued his studies and graduated with our class.

After graduation, Ted joined the staff of MIT Radiation Laboratory, where he helped design and develop radar air-tracking equipment. Following the war, he studied biophysics at the Johnson Foundation of the University of Pennsylvania. Ted was awarded a doctorate from Johns Hopkins University in 1952, and then taught there for 13 years before becoming director of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, and acting director of the National Eye Institute.

In 1973, Ted became a research scientist at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Mass., heading the Laboratory of Sensory Physiology. In 1986, he became a professor of physiology at Boston University before retiring at 86.

He is survived by his wife, Dorothy Thorne MacNichol, as well as his first wife, Anne Ayer MacNichol, and their children, Edward III and Anne Brownell; his stepchildren Elizabeth, Cam, Scott, David, and Duncan Thorne, and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Meach, a physician and teacher, died April 28, 2004, in Gates Mills, Ohio, after a long illness.

Gilman Country Day School in Baltimore prepared him for the complete Princeton experience — the premed program, varsity football, Tiger board, Cap and Gown Club, and lifelong friends.

Upon graduation, Meach matriculated at Johns Hopkins Medical School, earned his medical degree in 1945, began a two-year residency in the Army medical program, and separated as captain. In the meantime he married Lucy Bulkley Kelly, who was his devoted wife for 59 years. They had four children, Louisa, John, Lila, and Gordon.

By our 25th Meach was assistant clinical professor of medicine at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine and on the staff of the University Hospital of Cleveland. After 40 years of teaching and private practice, he retired as associate professor. By our 50th Meach wrote, “flunked retirement and back fighting disease part time.”

In our 50th yearbook Lucy wrote, “. . . he is a Princeton enthusiast they can’t produce today.” Members of the Princeton Alumni Association of Nantucket Island, where Meach and Lucy spent part of their summers, would agree.

The class extends deepest condolences to Lucy, her family, and Gordon’s many friends.

The Class of 1942



Douglas Webster, a Malaysian rubber planter who marched to a different drummer than most of us, died Feb. 9, 2004, in San Diego.

Douglas prepared at the Sequoia School in Redwood City, Calif. At Princeton he majored in history, acted in Theatre Intime, and was a member of the history club and Cloister Inn.

After serving in the Army infantry in World War II as a first lieutenant, Douglas joined Goodyear Rubber. In our tenth yearbook, he told us was managing rubber plantations; his business address was Goodyear Rubber Plantation, G.R.P. Rengham Johore, Malaya. By our 20th, he was general representative and director of P.T. Baud in Djakarta, Indonesia. Thirty years later, he was “currently a planter” and told us about exposure to communist guerillas during the uprisings in Malaya, “(dangers) probably greater than any I faced during (World War II).”

Douglas said he was “keen on history, conversation, drama, gardening, bridge and swimming.” A candid man, Douglas was an outspoken anglophile who wrote how he deplored communism in his book The Wobble, and opposed coeducation at Princeton as a threat to traditions he cherished.

To his nephew, Peter Webster, and family, the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1942



Bud died Jan. 9, 2004, at his home in Paradise Valley, Ariz.

Bud entered Princeton from Exeter and joined Elm Club. He captained the gym team. His Princeton education ended when he became an officer and flying instructor with the Army Air Corps. Bud was recalled to the Air Force during the Korean War.

Before that recall, at age 25, he became an active director of the Archer Daniels Midland Co., which his grandfather founded in 1902, when his father died unexpectedly. For 50 years he served on the ADM Board of Directors, never missing a board meeting, while overseeing the company’s growth into an international agricultural giant.

In addition to family and business, Bud was devoted to aircraft and golf. He played regularly in the Bing Crosby Tournament in Pebble Beach, and was a member of the Cypress Point Club, Phoenix Country Club, and Paradise Valley Country Club.

Bud was a founding member of the Community Hospital on the Monterey [Calif.] peninsula, and served on the boards of the Sun Valley Corp. in Idaho and the Del Monte Corp. in Pebble Beach.

Bud is survived by his wife, the former Jeanne Marie Weber; sons Dr. Shreve M. III and Charles P.; daughter Wendy Copocciamo; two grandsons; and two sisters. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Larry died at his home in Pierce, Texas, Feb. 17, 2004.

Larry entered Princeton from Hotchkiss, and joined Triangle, Whig-Clio, and Charter Club. His Princeton education was interrupted by service as an officer with the Army’s Counter Intelligence Corps in Europe, where he saw combat. Returning to Princeton, he received a degree in 1947 and joined LaSalle National Bank in Chicago after attending business school at Northwestern.

By 1970 Larry was chairman of the executive committee of the bank, and was active in Chicago as chair of the Heart Fund Drive in 1956 and chair of the Red Cross Appeal in 1963. In addition he was a trustee of Episcopal Charities, director of Passavant Hospital, and a corporate member of the Seabury Theological Seminary. Larry also served on the boards of Goodwill Industries, Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Hospital, and the Institute of Living.

Larry retired from the bank in 1985 and moved to his ranch in Pierce.

In 1954 Larry married Margot Boyd and they were a devoted couple until her death in 2003. He is survived by daughter Brooks Diesel, sons Steven and Laurance III, and seven grandchildren, to all of whom the class expresses its sympathy.

The Class of 1945



Gamble died Dec. 19, 2003, exactly 59 years after his actions during a raid over Germany earned him a recommendation for the Distinguished Flying Cross.

He entered Princeton from St. Mark’s and joined Colonial Club. He received his degree in 1948 after wartime service as an officer in the Army Air Corps. A much-decorated member of the 379th Heavy Bomb Group, Gamble was held as a POW after being shot down over Germany.

He described his first five postgraduate years as a “gypsy life” spent representing American Express in England, France, Italy, and Scandinavia. This led to work as a financial adviser to the Belgian government, for which he was named Knight of the Order of Leopold II. Gamble went on to a distinguished career on Wall Street, where he was ranked as the nation’s top natural-gas analyst for many years. In 1988 he retired as managing director of Credit Suisse First Boston to co-found Natural Gas Partners, an energy investment fund, and serve on various foreign boards, and as adviser to American and foreign corporations and governments.

He is survived by his wife, Judith, brother Frederick, and sister-in-law Wendy Watriss Baldwin. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



George Broadbent died March 14, 2004.

George entered Princeton from St. Andrew’s and joined Elm Club. His Princeton career was interrupted by service as a field artillery officer with the 3rd Army, seeing combat in Germany and France. He returned to Princeton to receive a degree in history in 1947. He then joined his preparatory school as a member of the faculty, rising to become assistant headmaster.

In the course of his career, he received a master’s degree in education from Harvard and was fortunate to study at Oxford University. After retirement from St. Andrew’s, George returned to Scranton, Pa., the place of his birth and youth. George was a direct descendant of the first settler in Scranton, Isaac Tripp, and served on the board of Tripp House and the Lackawanna County Historical Society.

In our 50th yearbook he wrote that the change of pace in retirement was most enjoyable and opined that “historians never retire but maintain interest in current history.”

George never married. He was preceded in death by his brother, Ira, who left two sons and two daughters, George’s only survivors.

The Class of 1945



Claude Davis died March 24, 2004.

He entered Princeton from Andover and joined Quadrangle Club. He received a degree in economics magna cum laude in 1945. Claude was in the Navy V-12 Program in 1943 but was discharged before entering active service. In 1948 he received a law degree from the University of Illinois, married the former Marguerite Hoffman, and joined a law firm in Jerseyville, Ill.

From 1984-90 Claude served as a circuit court judge and reported that he found the bench most enjoyable. Claude was a founding member of the Westlake Country Club in Jerseyville. A longtime member of the First Presbyterian Church, he served many terms as elder, trustee, and deacon, and was a 1971 delegate to the United Presbyterian General Assembly.

In our 50th yearbook Claude reported that he returned to his former law firm, finally retiring in 1993. Claude and Marguerite wintered on South Padre Island, Texas, permitting him to golf year-round, although, as he put it, without notable success. For many years he returned to Andover as a member of the Alumni Advisory Board.

In addition to Marguerite, Claude is survived by daughters Susan Blevins and Priscilla Rains, sons Claude and John, 11 grandchildren, and one great-grandson. The class expresses sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Mac died Feb. 26, 2004, following an extended and courageous battle against progressive supranuclear palsy. Classmates who shared eight days with Mac on an arduous Colorado River trip a few years ago will never forget his unfailing patience and valor.

Son of Malcolm Branson Lowe ’13, Mac prepared at Hotchkiss. He joined Cannon Club, and was president of the Undergrad-uate Council and president of the Princeton Engineering Society. Mac was captain of the varsity wrestling team and runner-up in the Eastern Wrestling Intercollegiate Champion-ship of 1944. He served as a lieutenant in the Maritime Service, seeing activity in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters, and received a degree in chemical engineering in 1947. He capped his Princeton career by stealing the clapper.

After Princeton, Mac joined the family business, Lowe Paper Co., in Ridgefield, N.J. In 1960 he joined Riegel Paper Co. in North Carolina, and was later transferred to New York. After 20 years he returned to North Carolina, where he developed several Hertz car rental franchises. In 1958 he married Elizabeth Lamons, and her antiques business provided frequent opportunities for trips abroad. He retired in 1987.

He is survived by Betty, son Branson, and daughter Sarah, known respectfully to the river rafters as St. Sarah for her devotion to her father during the days and nights on the Colorado. The class extends sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Bill McCue died Dec. 12, 2003, following a three-year battle with dementia resulting from a severe viral infection.

Bill entered Princeton from Woodbury. His education was interrupted by service with the Navy when he received a commission to Pensacola Naval Air Station. He returned to receive a degree in economics in 1948. After graduating, Bill returned to active duty with the Navy and retired as a captain after 22 years of service, including a tour as commanding officer of the USS Currituck and squadron commander of VP-21 at the Naval Air Station in Brunswick, Maine. Bill’s campaign ribbons attest to service extending from World War II to Vietnam. When he retired, he was commander of the ASW Systems Program Office in Washington, D.C.

Bill next became active in real estate in Colorado and Florida, specializing in appraisals for government acquisition. Appropriately, Bill was buried at sea in the presence of his family and members of the Punta Gorda Sailing Club, of which he was a past commodore.

Bill is survived by his wife, the former Peggy Allington; his three sons, Rick, Gary, and Mark; and two grandsons, to all of whom the class expresses its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1945


Bud Muser died April 11, 2004, at Pawleys Island, S.C., where he lived with Edna, his wife of 58 years.

Born in New York City, he grew up in Ridgewood, N.J., graduated from high school there, and entered Princeton as an engineering student. Navy service in the Seabees from 1943-46 took him to Hawaii and the Pacific Islands. He returned to marry Edna McComb and complete his degree in economics in 1949. He especially enjoyed interclub baseball at Princeton.

Bud’s career was with Purolator Products Inc. in Atlanta and Charlotte, then in New Jersey as treasurer for Edgcomb Steel, and finally, with Stihl Chain Saws. In 1980 he moved to Pawleys Island, becoming a Realtor and enjoying golf, and with his children, Little League Baseball and Boy Scouts.

He is survived by his wife; sons Maurice III and Richard; daughters Katharine Garnier and Christine Zimmerer; seven grandchildren; a great-granddaughter; and his sister, Carolyn Ruprecht. To them all, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1946



Hotch Seidel died Feb. 27, 2004, at his home in Hollywood, Fla., after a long illness.

Born in Pottstown, Pa., he came from The Hill School to Princeton to major in biology. He served in the Navy from 1943-44 and graduated in 1946. As an undergraduate, Hotch enjoyed music participation.

After service in the Korean War he entered medicine, first in Brooklyn, then in Philadelphia. After a year at the Portsmouth [Va.] Naval Shipyard, he moved to Easton [Pa.] Hospital, becoming director of medicine. In 1974 he moved to Memorial Hospital in Hollywood, Fla., as director of medical education and also taught at the University of Miami School of Medicine.

Hotch’s hobbies were tennis, golf, stained glass, and bromeliads. He served many years on the council of St. John’s Lutheran Church of Hollywood. He married Jean Thorpe in 1948 and they raised four children, the Rev. Douglas, Bruce, Barbara, and Stuart. They all survive as do five grandchildren and a brother, David. The class extends deep sympathy to all the family on the loss of our distinguished classmate.

The Class of 1946



Walter Snow died Jan. 7, 2004, in Overland Park, Kan.

Born in Greenfield, Mass., Walt came to Princeton in 1942 from Hotchkiss. He majored in mechanical engineering, then served in the Army from 1943-46, including a year in the Army Specialized Training Program at Syracuse and a tour in France and the Philippines. Upon graduation in 1948, he began a career first with Shell Oil, then in 1950 with the Marley Co., a cooling-process manufacturer in Kansas City, Mo., where he remained until retiring in 1986. He earned a master’s in 1981 at Baker College.

His first wife, Constance, whom he married in 1950, died in 1989. They had a daughter, Jeanne, and a son, Paul. He then married Rosalea Shepard.

Walt was active in the Christ Episcopal Church choir, and enjoyed travel, classical music, and history.

Besides his wife, he leaves his two children; a stepson, Dr. Scott Shepard; two stepdaughters, Kim Berberian and Karmen Shepard; four granddaughters; two step-granddaughters; and a sister, Tammy Henderson. To them all, the class extends deep sympathy on their loss.

The Class of 1946



Hume Annan died of cancer May 7, 2004.

He was a graduate of Alleghany High School in Cumberland, Md., and of Episcopal High School, in Alexandria, Va. He served in the Merchant Marine from 1945-47. At Princeton, on full scholarship, he was a member of Prospect and graduated in SPIA with high honors and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa. To supplement his funds, he sold milk, sandwiches, and ice cream in the dorms.

Hume’s professional career from 1952-81 was with Blue Cross and Blue Shield. He and his wife of 47 years, Peggy, lived in Baltimore. Hume became vice president for corporate planning and research, helping to develop drug, dental, and vision programs.

After retiring they returned to West Virginia, where they developed Jersey Mountain Orchards to grow apples, nectarines, peaches, raspberries, and grapes. As Hume’s health problems increased, management of the orchard devolved to son Richard.

To Peggy, Richard, and daughter Nancy, the class offers its condolences. Hume was endowed with great generosity of spirit and will be missed.

The Class of 1948



Neil Bull died at his home in Peterborough, N.H., March 16, 2004. He was 78.

He graduated from Lawrenceville and earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Princeton, where was a member of Cap and Gown. He earned a master’s from the University of Virginia in 1960.

Neil’s entire career was oriented to academic endeavors. Initially he taught and coached at Lawrenceville for five years. This was followed by six years as headmaster of the Robert Academy in Istanbul with time out for a stint as head of the Verde Valley School in Sedona, Ariz., before returning to Europe as director of the American International School in Vienna. During interludes in Princeton, Neil’s wife, Mimi, was a research assistant for George Kennan ’25.

Along with educating young people, Neil developed programs to help students make a more effective transition to college. He also developed programs to enable students to reassess their goals and, for some, to pursue alternative education. These initiatives were the basis of the Center for Interim Programs that Neil ran from 1981 until his death.

To Mimi, sons Cornelius Jr. “Neil” and Samuel ’82, and daughter Sarah Holly Bull, the class offers its condolences. One of our most creative classmates has left our ranks.

The Class of 1948



Bob Hall died March 14, 2004.

He was a graduate of Hackensack High School and attended Drew University for three terms before transferring to Princeton in the Navy V-12 program. He was with us only briefly, leaving in 1947 to join a Colgate-Palmolive Co. training program.

Bob’s professional career was with Colgate-Palmolive until his retirement in 1985. He climbed the ranks from office manager to plant controller to director of budgets to chairman and managing director in the United Kingdom, then to vice president of the international division, and finally to corporate vice president. All the while, he said, “I’ve faithfully forwarded my contribution to Annual Giving, paid my class dues relatively promptly, cheered our Tigers at athletic contests, was an on-off member of Princeton clubs around the globe, and, oddly enough, I have yet to spot a fellow classmate in all these years.”

Bob’s beloved wife, Mimi, died in 1997. To his children, Candace, Robert, Christopher, and Bettina; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandchild, the class offers its condolences. Such loyalty after such a short stay with us is an inspiration.

The Class of 1948



John died April 12, 2004, with his sons and daughters by his side.

A native of Detroit who grew up in Tenafly, N.J., John graduated from Blair and joined the Naval Aviation V-5 program. This brought him to Princeton where he was in Charter, played 150-lb. football, and majored in economics.

John entered the investment business with Fahnestock, spent many years as manager of Gruntal’s New York City office, and recently retired from Oppenheimer. Apart from business activities he served as president of the NYC Young Republicans Club, was a Big Brother to city children, and was an avid and expert fly fisherman. He was a longtime loyal supporter of Princeton football.

Survivors include his cherished companion, Lois Brooks; his children, Shelby Todd Schultz, Laura Colangelo, and Daniel and Charles Howatt, and their mother, Shelby Moorman Howatt; and 10 grandchildren. Fellow alumni Lou DiPaolo ’50, Dave Ewald ’48, and Ron Wittreich ’50 were friends of John’s since high school. Like many others who came to know him well, they mourn the loss of a true friend.

The Class of 1948



Toppy died at his Charlotte, N.C., home Jan. 7, 2004.

He joined us by way of Woodbury Forest School in Virginia. At Princeton our speedy halfback was captain of the Fighting Fifties and a winning wrestler. He was in Cottage and graduated Phi Beta Kappa in mechanical engineering. Our class treasurer from 1948-53, Toppy studied for two years at Harvard Business School before spending three years in Colorado at the Denver Equipment Co.

Toppy’s business career was centered in heavy construction and road-building equipment. This kept him mostly outdoors, as was his wont. He was associated with several Charlotte-area companies, retiring from Grinnell Co. in 1991.

Toppy was active in the Episcopal Church as vestryman, junior warden, and diocesan delegate. His activities were extensive in the United Way, the Arts and Science Council, and the Boy Scouts. As a sailor he was involved in competitive racing and cruising. He was an avid golfer.

He is survived by his wife, Mary, daughter Siri, sons Ed and Chris, and four grandchildren. The class offers its heartfelt condolences at the death of a fine friend.

The Class of 1948



Bill died July 25, 2003. He was 81.

Bill prepared for Princeton at Danville [Pa.] High School and served in the Army Field Artillery from 1941-45 in the European theater, reaching the rank of major. He was married with a family while at Princeton. He majored in chemical engineering.

After graduation Bill worked for Standard Oil of Ohio, and then was called to active duty for service in Japan and Korea. He was decorated for service in both World War II and Korea. His career was spent in oil refinery and chemical-plant management with several international companies. He retired in the late 1970s and spent winters in Augusta, Ga., and summers in Franklin, N.C. He enjoyed traveling, gardening, and oil painting, but his real love was maintaining his 1931 Ford Model A, which he used to commute from the Harrison Street Project to the campus while an undergraduate.

Bill was predeceased by his wife, Virginia, in 1992. He is survived by his son, William Jr., and a granddaughter. To them, the class extends its deepest sympathy on their loss of this fine man.

The Class of 1949



Bill died May 4, 2004, after a brief illness. He was 78.

Bill was an Eagle Scout and an altar boy during his youth in Caldwell, N.J. He came to Princeton from service in the Merchant Marine during World War II and later served in the Navy as an aviator.

After leaving the Navy he started his advertising career with J. Walter Thompson. He spent 20 years on Madison Avenue, holding top creative positions on major accounts at Doyle Dane Bernbach, Ogilvy & Mather, Young & Rubicam, and Interpublic, Inc. He wrote some of the most memorable and effective advertising of our time for Polaroid, Xerox, White Owl, Quaker Oats, and the Coca-Cola Co. He was highly regarded as one of the finest ad men of his day. Bill was an avid golfer with six holes-in-one to his credit. He also was an inventor and an excellent golfscape painter.

Bill is survived by his wife, Jacqueline; daughters Eileen Reed, Sharon Tormey, and Betsey Ross; sons Dan and Paul; 12 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. He will be sorely missed by them and by his classmates, who will be telling Casey stories until they too join him.

The Class of 1949



Jim died Dec. 9, 2003. He was 76.

Jim prepared for Princeton at Millbrook School and served in the Navy during World War II. He majored in politics and was a member of Cloister Inn.

After graduation Jim joined the family business, A. Milne & Co., a tool-steel distributor where he spent his professional career. He was president when he sold the business in 1991. Jim traveled extensively and was an avid reader. He had an abiding interest in Renaissance art, and European and American political history. He is remembered as a highly concerned and principled person.

Jim was predeceased by his wife, Jane Louise. He is survived by his daughter, Carol Louise Henderson, sons James Grier and Mark Banning, and three grandchildren. To them, the class extends its deepest sympathy on their loss.

The Class of 1949



Dunham died April 11, 2004. He was 76.

Dunham prepared for Princeton at Lawrenceville and served in the Navy from 1945-46 in the Pacific theater. At Princeton he majored in philosophy, was very active in the Nassau Lit, and won the Alfred Noyes Special Prize in poetry. He was a member of Terrace Club.

After graduation Dunham worked as a sales engineer for 10 years. He then attended Princeton Theological Seminary and was ordained an Episcopal priest. He served parishes in Southern California from 1962-73 and in New Mexico from 1974-86. He retired in Sun City West, Ariz., where he engaged in a number of activities including writing and publishing poetry. One of his poems was included in our 50th yearbook.

Dunham is survived by his wife, Elizabeth; a daughter, Heather Starr Wilson Olson; sons Mark Dunham and Matthew McKendry; and two grandchildren. The class extends its sincere sympathy to them on their loss of this caring and committed person.

The Class of 1949



Bill Hansen died Nov. 21, 2003, at the Virginia Veterans Care Center in Roanoke, where he had lived most of the last decade. Before his death he had suffered both a heart attack and a stroke. He was buried in his hometown of Toms River, N.J.

At Princeton Bill was an NROTC student, a member of Dial Lodge, and an honors graduate in SPIA. He was active in the Wesley Foundation, Whig-Clio, and the Pre-Law Society. His roommates were Barry Cruikshank, Jack Collins, and Jim Glerum. After separation from the Navy in 1955, Bill began a 30-year career in commodities trading in New York, Chicago, and Phoenix. After retiring, he became one of the first five residents of the Virginia Veterans Care Center, where he was founder and president of the residents’ council. He was also active in the local Democratic Party, and belonged to the American Legion and the Tin Can Sailors.

In the BOH, Bill noted his continued bereavement after the death of his wife, Anne, in 1989. They had no children. Many classmates will remember with gratitude Bill’s warm and steady friendship, and his unfailing civility and good cheer.

The Class of 1952



Bill, one of six ’53 classmates from Penn Charter, died of congestive heart failure March 20, 2004, in Osprey, Fla.

An all-round athlete who dined at Cannon, he was an IAA sports manager and excelled in club football, basketball, track, softball, and billiards. He majored in SPIA and worked in Triangle Club’s business department. A roommate, Carl Shaifer, said that Bill good-naturedly was called “Click, Click, Ding” because his mind was a virtual adding machine. Calculating in his head, he won a huge sum on a TV quiz show by filling a grocery cart with items that totaled a predetermined figure within a specific time.

Bill also had a wry sense of humor. When showing off fellow classmate Bill Gall’s Wharton School living quarters with cockroaches, cobwebs, and mice, Bill deadpanned, “This is the finest apartment in West Philadelphia.” After a Wharton MBA and Navy duty, he received the Alexander E. Loeb Gold Medal Award with his CPA designation in 1968. Bill’s expertise, according to his wife, Casiana, was in consulting, and he was a partner in Deloitte & Touche. He later became CEO of FBF Industries.

He leaves behind Casiana, daughter Christina Smy; sons William H. Jr. and Bradley J.; and six grandchildren, all of whom have our sincere sympathy. We remember Bill for his unpretentiousness, and for the glasses and laughter he raised.

The Class of 1953



Dick Smith died of lung cancer Sept. 30, 2003.

He was born in Cumberland, Md., and raised in Baltimore and Denver, where he attended East Denver High School. At Princeton he majored in economics and wrote his thesis on “Monopoly Aspects of the Present-day Oil Industry.” He joined Dial Lodge and played IAA football, basketball, and golf.

Dick graduated with honors and then served in the Air Force as a SAC B-47 bomber pilot. While stationed at Little Rock, Ark., he met and married Barbara Gail Puller. In 1959 he joined Esso (now Exxon). He left Exxon in 1973 in order to stay in Greensboro, N.C., where he opened the first Century 21 real estate company. In 1975, he established Rockingham Bandage Corp., a company that recapped fleet truck tires. He sold the company to Piedmont Truck and Tire Co. in 1993 and retired.

Dick loved golf (and was buried in his golf attire) and his 30-year weekly poker game. His life has been likened to a strong stable fabric from beginning to end.

In addition to his wife, Dick is survived by his sons Edwin Richard “Rick” III ’81 and his wife, Ann, and Brian Cleveland .

The Class of 1955



John died May 9, 2004, of complications from ALS. Born in Evanston, Ill., to Carl Schulz ’28 and the former Cornelia Mary Ernst, he came to Princeton from New Trier High School, Winnetka, Ill.

At Princeton John took his meals at Tower Club, majored in French, and spent his junior year studying in France. His thesis was titled “The Novels of Jean-Louis Curtis.” He also was involved with the Campus Fund Drive and the Yachting Club.

After a few years teaching French in private schools, John went to Yale Law School and then was Ralph Nader ’55’s first “raider,” authoring Nader’s report on the Federal Trade Commission. After the Nader experience in 1968, he taught law for two years at USC and then practiced law in the San Francisco area for many years, specializing in environmental law. Following a divorce he relocated to Denver a few years ago. He was an avid race walker and competed until ALS incapacitated him. John is survived by a son, Evan, and a daughter, Jordan, with whom we mourn his passing.

The Class of 1961

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary