human resources link

October 6, 2004: Memorials


Warren died April 25, 2004. He was 93.

At Princeton Warren won the War Memorial Scholarship all four years. He won letters in football and played on the hockey team, of which he was captain senior year. He was a member of Colonial Club. For 10 years after graduation Warren played hockey with the Boston U. and St. Nicholas clubs.

Freshman year he lived alone at 25 Bank St., sophomore year he lived with David Vhay at 142 Cuyler, and junior and senior years he and Vhay at lived at 121 Little. Warren served four years in the Pacific with the Marine Corps, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Warren tried to involve himself usefully with efforts to thwart socialism, egalitarianism, and phony liberalism. His wife predeceased him. The class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1930


Dick died June 1, 2004, according to his son, Richard H. Park ’64. He was 95.

Dick came to us from Mercersburg Academy. He roomed all four years with Stanley Garber in 1901 Hall. He was a member of the pistol and rifle teams, lettering in each, and a member of Key and Seal.

After graduation Dick earned an engineering degree from MIT and from 1936-45 was project manager at Hamilton Standard Propellers, where he was instrumental in developing the first successful aircraft anti-icing system and aluminum propeller blades so important for the war effort. From the end of World War II until 1965, he was chief engineer at the Fuller Brush Co. in charge of developing new products.

Dick is survived by his wife of 65 years, Maylah Hallock Park, five children, nine grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1930


Erle died June 26, 2004.

Born Feb. 12, 1911, in Birmingham, Ala., he attended Philips High School. At Princeton he joined Quadrangle Club.

Following Princeton, Erle attended Duke University Law School and graduated at the top of his class. He then entered private practice in Birmingham. During World War II, he served as intelligence staff officer with the V Corps in the European theater, receiving the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with five Bronze Stars, the Bronze Arrowhead, and the American Defense Service Medal. He served with the Reserve until his retirement as lieutenant colonel.

After the war Erle practiced law in Washington, D.C. In 1947, he met and married Eleanor Agree. In 1949, he returned to Birmingham and joined his father's law firm, Rives, Peterson, Pettus and Conway. He practiced law in Birmingham until his retirement in 1982. Among his many activities, Erle was president of the board of Brooke Hill School, founding director of the Bank of the Southeast, chair of the Birmingham Committee on Foreign Relations, and president of the Sons of the Revolution in the State of Alabama, Birmingham Bar Association, and the St. Andrew’s Society.

Eleanor died in 1993. Erle is survived by his daughter, Suzanna Cartmell; sons Erle and Jeffrey; six grandchildren; and one step-grandson. The class extends its sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1932

Laurance S. Rockefeller ’32

Larry, a conservationist, philanthropist, and leading figure in the field of venture capital, died in his sleep July 11, 2004. He was 94.

He prepared at Lincoln School of Columbia University’s Teachers College and graduated from Princeton in 1932. He was chairman of the pictorial board of the Princetonian, chairman of the Student-Faculty Association, chairman of the Undergraduate Committee, and a member of the class relay team and Ivy Club.

Sophomore year he roomed with Amos Eno, and junior and senior years with E. Lansing Ray, G. Vietor Davis, Charles E. Scarlett Jr., and Donald H. Hooker.

Larry served as a charter trustee of Prince-ton from 1967-80. He made many gifts to the University across the spectrum of his social, scientific, and intellectual interests, including establishing the University Center for Human Values and launching the Department of Molecular Biology. He founded the American Conservation Association in 1958 and was head of Jackson Hole Preserve Inc., a conservation organization that played a major role in protecting parts of the Grand Tetons in Wyoming and redwood trees in California.

He helped develop national parks and led the White House Conference on Natural Beauty. He also was a pivotal developer of the economics field that became known as venture capital.

In 1938, he helped finance World War I pilot Eddie Rickenbacker's Eastern Airlines and later invested in McDonnell Aircraft Corp., Intel Corp., and Apple Computer Inc. He funded ventures that would strengthen national security, welfare or the economy.

Larry's wife, Mary French Rockefeller, died in 1997. He is survived by four children, eight grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren, to whom the class extends its sincere condolences.

The Class of 1932


Warren died April 27, 2004. He led a very happy, productive, and versatile life.

After attending Hughes High School in his native Cincinnati, he graduated from Princeton with majors in English and French. After brief stints teaching at Perkiomen School in Pennsburg, Pa., and Kansas City University, he married his beloved wife, Patricia Henderson, returned to Cincinnati for his PhD and joined the faculty at Earlham College in Richmond, Ind., where he remained until his retirement in 1977. Warren loved the English language, especially Shakespeare, and took pleasure in the book he wrote on Ralph Waldo Emerson. During WWII he was a conscientious objector and worked in civilian work camps. He joined the Society of Friends and spent two years in Rome and Sicily directing its activities.

Warren and Patricia enjoyed music and played together in string quartets. They loved art and brought many beautiful artifacts back from Europe. His family life was full and happy with music, reading aloud, checkers, and chopping wood. He was a devoted father and grandfather.

Patricia died in 2000. Warren is survived by his sons, Jonathan and Mark, his daughter, Mina Brunyate, and two grandchildren. This Renaissance classmate will be missed.

The Class of 1933


Si died May 9, 2004. He was 90.

A graduate of Trenton [N.J.] Senior High School, he majored in politics at Princeton and played on the freshman and varsity basketball teams. In 1939 he graduated from Harvard Law School. During World War II he served in the Coast Guard.

He began his New Jersey political career in 1947 after being elected Mercer County Sheriff. In 1951 he was elected Trenton City Commissioner, and he served in the New Jersey State Senate from 1952-72. There he was president, and majority and minority leader. In 1967, as senate president, he served as acting governor twice.

In addition to his political career, he also had a distinguished legal practice and was president of the Mercer County Bar Association.

Over the years, Si found time to serve on the boards of organizations dealing with human relations, health, and banking; on the Trenton City Board of School Estimates; and the Trenton Police and Fire Commission. He also was a member of Princeton’s Schools and Scholarship Committee.

Si’s wife, Beatrice, predeceased him July 14, 2000. He is survived by his children Robert N. ’70, Jane, and Susan, and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1936


Sam died at his home in Basking Ridge, N.J., Feb. 27, 2004.

He and Mary Achilles, his wife of 62 years, moved there recently from their lifetime home in Mendham, N.J., where he was a practicing pediatrician for 41 years in Morristown, N.J. After Princeton, Sam attended McGill University Medical School in Montreal, graduating in 1943. He then served during World War II in the Navy Medical Corps, assigned to amphibious duty on an LST that participated in the invasion of Normandy.

Settling into his private pediatric practice in Morristown, he became widely known and loved for his special manner of taking care of his young patients. When he retired in 1990 there was an outpouring of praise and admiration for his long service to the community. He and Mary traveled widely while he worked in human-development projects in Canada, the Philippines, Venezuela, India, Africa, and Alaska. His children and grandchildren fondly remembered his special way of fathering on camping trips together in Canada and the United States.

Mary survives as do their daughters Patricia, Joan, and Cynthia; sons Charles and David; 13 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. We offer our sincere sympathy. Like them, we have many happy memories to recall in the life of our extraordinary friend.

The Class of 1939


George died April 10, 2004, at Blowing Rock Hospital near his home in Whispering Pines, N.C.

His entire business career was with Sinclair Oil, beginning after graduation in Fort Worth, Texas. He became resident engineer of the Corpus Christi refinery and project engineer on refinery engineering projects. He was moved to several different posts around the country until he became assistant manager of refinery economics in New York City. George and his wife, Margaret Newton, whom he married in 1940, settled in Pelham, N.Y. He believed his most worthwhile activity was his service to Pelham, first as trustee 1967-71, then as mayor until he retired and left Pelham in 1972. He settled in Whispering Pines, where he was surrounded by opportunities to indulge his hobby of golf.

Margaret died in 1999. George is survived by his daughter, Linda Antilla; son George III; one granddaughter; five grandsons; and two great-grandchildren. To them, we extend our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Larry died July 1, 2004, from complications of Alzheimer’s disease.

“He was the sort of person who, as boss, would consult with people rather than order them about,” said his wife, Ann. “I think he was a good lawyer in the sense that he brought people together rather than always wanting litigation or disputes.”

Larry prepared at Hotchkiss School, following his uncle, L.R. Carton ’07, to Princeton, where he was joined by his brother, Robert W. Carton ’42, and his cousin, W.P. Carton ’43. He majored in history, graduating with honors, was a member of varsity crew, director of the Student-Faculty Association, chairman of the Drive Committee, and a member of Colonial Club.

During World War II, Larry was commander of a Navy minesweeper in the Pacific. He completed his law degree in 1947 at the University of Chicago, becoming a partner in the Chicago law firm of Gardner Carton & Douglas.

Larry was a trustee of various civic organizations, including Morton Arboretum and Shedd Aquarium, and a life member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Ann Schmidt Carton; daughters Mary Gregory ’78, Evelyn Kurth ’85, and Ellen Carton; a son, John ’77, and his wife, Sally Blodget ’79; brother Robert; sister Catherine Carton Smith; and six grandchildren. To them, his classmates extend their deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940


Bob died April 29, 2004, after a long illness.

A native of Haddon Heights, N.J., he came to Princeton from Moorestown [N.J.] Friends School and majored in history. He joined Terrace Club. During World War II, Bob entered the Army Field Artillery and spent 32 months in the European theater, serving first with the 85th Division in Italy, and then with the 34th and 88th divisions in occupation duty in the Trieste area. He received a field commission and was awarded the Bronze Star with an Oak Leaf Cluster.

Bob was discharged from the Army in 1946 and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1948. He practiced labor law in Philadelphia in his own firm until retirement.

In 1949, Bob married Patricia Dilworth and they had two children, a daughter, Aubrey, now a lawyer in New York City, and a son, R. Dilworth Lees, now deceased. Patricia died after a protracted illness.

At a Moorestown Friends School reunion, Bob met and subsequently married Elizabeth Wood Lees, who survives him, as do his stepchildren, Bonnie Wood and James A.E. Wood Jr.

The Class of 1941


Mad died March 30, 2004, a victim of complications arising from Alzheimer’s disease. He was 83.

Mad prepared for Princeton at Episcopal Academy in Marion and Devon, Pa. He graduated from the University in 1943, and saw combat action with the Army in the European theater during World War II.

Upon returning to civilian life, Mad began a career in advertising with N.W. Ayer and Son, ultimately retiring as vice president for finance. Later in his life, Mad also devoted himself to helping people with eyesight problems (he had suffered the loss of sight in one eye) by becoming a volunteer for the Associated Services for the Blind.

Mad is survived by his wife of almost 53 years, the former Mary-Louise Vanneman Mally; four children, Hunter Robb Riley, C. Madison Riley III, Elizabeth Marshall Riley and Paul Vanneman Riley; and 10 grandchildren.

To the entire family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt sympathies.

The Class of 1943


George died April 26, 2004, in Flagstaff, Ariz. He lived and practiced internal medicine there and previously in Phoenix. He was 81.

Born in New Brunswick, N.J., he attended The Hill School in Pottstown, Pa., and was active in dramatics. At Princeton he majored in biology, became secretary and then vice president of Triangle Club, was a member of Triangle’s chorus, and was a member of the Chapel Choir, the Nassoons (in their formative years), and Charter Club. He loved singing.

George’s roommates included Jim Cobbs, Al Sheridan, John Collins, and Dan McGraw.

After Princeton, George earned his doctorate in medicine from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons as a Navy ensign. He served as an Army captain during the Korean War, and later did research with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission in Hiroshima.

George authored several books on the mind’s effects on illness. He felt a deep trust in Providence and appreciation of family and children.

Princeton is long in his family. His father’s cousin, Andrew Hazlehurst was 1904; his father was Robert P. ’17; his brothers were Robert P. Jr. ’40, and F. Hamilton ’47; and his nephew is F. Hamilton Hazlehurst Jr. ’73.

We’ll miss George’s warm perspectives. Our condolences go also to his wife of 57 years, Edith; children Ginnie Moore, Katie Collins, Mary Gustafson, Belle Knight, Monty, Laurance, and Victoria Moyers; 13 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

The Class of 1944


Chan died March 10, 2004, in Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center after an extended and courageous battle with prostate cancer.

Chan entered Princeton from The Hill School in Pottstown, Pa., and joined Cap and Gown. His Princeton career was interrupted by Army service with the 77th Division as a field artillery liaison observer. Returning to Princeton, he received an economics degree in 1948, followed by an MBA from New York University in 1958.

While at Princeton he played varsity soccer, basketball, and baseball. His baseball career was so outstanding that he was captain of the 1947 team, and received the Clark Cup and the Kafer Cup. His soccer career as goalie was equally outstanding and in 1942 he was a member of the National Soccer Coaches All-American Intercollegiate Soccer Team.

Chan was class vice president from 1942-47 and was a member of the Undergraduate Council. In 1948, he married Margaret Stoker and went to work for the Worthington Pump & Machinery Corp. in New Jersey. After five years with Worthington, Chan joined Chemical Bank, retiring as a vice president in 1984 after 31 years there.

In addition to Peg, Chan is survived by sons Russell II and Todd; daughters Amy Fitts, Penny Cattrell, and Tacey Brewer; 12 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and his brother, Russell. The class expresses sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945


Sonny died June 15, 2004. He was 76.

Sonny came to Princeton from Richmond, Va., and prepared at St. Christopher’s School. He majored in psychology and graduated magna cum laude. He was a member of the varsity tennis team, business manager of the Nassau Lit, and a member of Cap and Gown Club.

Sonny’s work career spanned 38 years at various locations in Virginia with the C&P Telephone Co. while it was a part of the Bell system. He retired in 1985 as assistant vice president of regulatory matters and public affairs. Sonny was active throughout his career in civic affairs and was named young man of the year by the Newport News Chamber of Commerce. He also served as director and then president of his civic association in Northern Virginia.

Sonny is survived by his wife, Mildred, daughter Sarah Ashworth Dana, and a brother, John S. Ashworth ’54. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them in the loss of this fine gentleman and friend.

The Class of 1949


Donald died of cancer in Boca Raton, Fla., Feb. 5, 2004.

Born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., he came to Princeton with a large contingent from Mercersburg Academy. At Mercersburg, he was a member of the National Preparatory School indoor track championship team.

At Princeton Donald was a history major and member of Cloister Inn. After graduation he became associated with his family’s coal business. Later, he entered the retail clothing industry and was president of the D.J.D. Corp. in Hilton Head, S.C.

He spent his last years in Florida, where he supported many charities and was a benefactor of the Boca Raton Community Hospital. Donald never married. We do not know of any close family survivors.

The Class of 1950


Jeff died suddenly Jan. 7, 2004, in New Hampshire.

Originally in the Class of ’49, Jeff graduated in 1950 with high honors in geological engineering and election to Phi Beta Kappa. He was a member of Campus Club.

After graduation Jeff went to Stanford, did some oil drilling in California, went to Harvard Business School, worked in management consulting for A.D. Little and for a Rhode Island machinery company. But the ocean was his lifelong calling. Early on, he was with the National Academy of Sciences as engineering/science coordinator for designing the first deep-water, floating drill ship. At Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution one of his experiments was the basis for his Stanford doctoral dissertation.

In 1965, he started the country’s first ocean-engineering academic program at the University of New Hampshire. In 1975, he was a Fulbright Fellow in Scotland where he initiated a program in ocean engineering to serve the North Sea. In the 1990s, Jeff was deeply involved with construction of the UNH Ocean Engineering Laboratory and Project Center, and an open-ocean aquaculture project. He retired in 1998.

Our condolences go to his wife, Joanne, daughters Heidi and Wendy, and son William.

The Class of 1950


Charlie died suddenly of a cerebral hemorrhage in Belleville, N.J., April 15, 2004.

He was a lifelong resident of Newark, N.J. He dated his ancestors back to the Revolutionary War. He graduated from Barrington High School in Newark and served in the Merchant Marine from 1943-46 before coming to Princeton. He was a member of Campus Club and graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering. After working in that field, he made a significant career change by entering the world of academe in 1959, first as an administrator and later as an instructor.

Taking evening courses, Charlie earned master’s and doctoral degrees in English from New York University. He began teaching at Rutgers in Newark in 1965, and later moved to the New Jersey Institute of Technology. His major interests were in linguistics and the importance of matching aptitudes and personality traits, based on Jung’s work on psychological types, to an individual’s career choice. He was retired at the time of his death.

He is survived by his brother, William, three nieces, and numerous great-nieces, nephews, and cousins, to whom we extend our sympathies.

The Class of 1950


Torrey West died July 16, 2001, in Anaheim, Calif. Little is known of the circumstances surrounding his death or burial, except that he requested a military funeral.

His cousin and classmate, Allen West ’52, reported the sadness his family felt at the limited communication with Torrey for many years. Our class books indicated he worked in research and development with Control Data Corp. in California.

Torrey left Princeton in 1951 to join the Army, served in Korea, and returned to graduate in 1954. He majored in history, joined Cloister Inn, and worked in the Express-Reunion-Furniture Agency, and the Parking Squad, serving as manager of both.

Our class received a moving profile of Torrey from Clark Simms ’53. He wrote: “In the student express organization I knew Torrey as a natural leader, quietly compelling . . . efficient and hardworking. Arriving in Korea, I followed Torrey as a counter-intelligence agent. His tour ended before mine, but he was still present, a legend in the 7th Division for ferreting out enemy forces and activities behind our lines. He was a model and mentor for the best agents I knew in Korea.”

We are deeply grateful to Clark for this remembrance of our classmate, whom we wish we had known better.

The Class of 1952


Though in poor health, John was determined to attend our 50th reunion in 2003. Accompanied and supported by daughter Susan, brother Michael ’58, niece Catherine ’92, and grandson Christopher, he did. He died May 3, 2004, at home in Seven Valleys, Pa., surrounded by family.

John had bounced back time and time again from ailments so serious that Susan said he fondly was nicknamed “Lazarus.” At Princeton he was called “Big John.” He played freshman football and captained the JV team that won the “little Big Three” title. He belonged to Tiger Inn and was one of our few married classmates at the time, having wed Margaret Kain, who survives him, in 1950.

He came from Brooklyn’s Manual Training High School and spent his career as a labor-union official helping protect working wage earners. Management and unions respected John for settling disputes and writing fair contracts. His ability to organize new locals was widely known.

Besides family mentioned above, John is survived by children Michael Sicuranza, Robert Curan, and Marianne Curan-Goen; siblings Alfred Sicuranza, Victor Sicuranza, Kathleen Burkett, and Annmarie Lowe; and seven grandchildren. His love of Princeton and football there was evidenced by the picture of him in his uniform at his wake. We offer our respects to his family and friends.

The Class of 1953


Lew, who roomed in Blair Tower senior year with Oz Applegate, Mike Donohue, Al Dowds, Jerv Finney, Bones Spencer, and Sid Staunton, and made lofty accomplishments in business, charitable causes, and sports, died of cancer April 26, 2004, at Hobe Sound, Fla.

Lew prepared at Landon School. At Princeton he ran track, majored in politics, was on the staff of the Tiger, and was Cottage Club secretary. He was an officer/paratrooper with the 11th Airborne Division, received an MBA at the University of Virginia, and married Jane Watson in 1958.

He had a successful investment-consulting career in the Philadelphia area, where he participated in numerous community organizations. An excellent golfer, Lew was past president of Merion Golf Club and the Pennsyl-

vania Golf Association. An avid fisherman and hunter, he traveled extensively in these pursuits. His final illness prevented him from hunting quail in Texas with Dick King, but Dick, Finney, and Spencer visited him shortly before his death. They found Lew in good spirits, with his trademark smile.

Besides Jane, he leaves daughters Frances and Jane, and two grandchildren. No classmate was more popular and respected than Lew. We are saddened by his death but know he left behind a legacy of love, encouragement, and support for his family and friends.

The Class of 1953


Grady died June 2, 2004, in Birmingham, Ala.

Born in New Orleans, he attended New Mexico Military Institute and Punahou School in Honolulu. At Princeton, he majored in history and was active in track, student government, and debate. He subsequently served three years in the Marine Corps, attaining the rank of captain.

He received a law degree from Harvard Law School and practiced in Birmingham and in Detroit. He held memberships with the American Law Institute as well as many other organizations.

He is survived by his wife, Katherine Yancey, son Grady Mellen, and daughter Mary Willis Yancey Avant. The class sends its sympathy to his family in their loss.

The Class of 1954


Tommy died unexpectedly Dec. 14, 2003, at his home in Vero Beach, Fla.

He was born in Baltimore, where he graduated from the Gilman School. While at Princeton, he majored in English, was a member of the Tigertones, and joined Tower Club. He served in the Army during the Korean War.

After military service, he worked for Equitable Life Assurance Society and House-hold, where he became assistant vice president and manager of the Washington office. In 1958 he became vice president of federal government relations for Household Inter-national. He served on committees of the National Council of Savings Institutions and the National Association of Manufacturers. He was a competitive yachtsman and raced in the Star World Championships in 1952.

He is survived by his wife, Suzanne, two sons, Dana and Thomas, one grandson, and his mother. The class extends its sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1954


Mike died of cardiac arrest March 15, 2004, at his home in Craftsbury Common, Vt.

Born in St. Paul, Minn., he came to Princeton from St. Thomas Military Academy. He majored in politics, was a member of Elm Club, and was an officer of Whig-Clio. Following graduation he earned a law degree from New York University but instead chose to work on Wall Street, where he joined Dean Witter and then White Weld.

In 1974 he left Wall Street for Vermont, and with his wife, Penny, owned and operated The Inn on the Common in Craftsbury for 29 years. In the process they made it one of the finest establishments in the state. Along with other honors, the Inn earned the distinction of Best of State in Wine Cellars. Mike retired in 2003.

Besides Penny, his wife of 43 years, he is survived by a daughter, Liz; a sister, Cathy; several nephews; and a niece. The class extends its sincerest sympathy to them.

The Class of 1958


We lost Bump on March 26, 2004. He died at his home in Thousand Oaks, Calif., after battling lung cancer for more than a year.

Born in Grosse Point, Mich., he attended Culver Military Academy and was regimental commander in his senior year. Several Culver classmates traveled to California only weeks before his death for a final visit.

At Princeton, Bump majored in economics and finance, took his meals at Cottage, and was a football letterman. His senior-year roommates were Doug Hutchison, Mike Wurmfeld, Steve Sachner, Phil Pritchard, and Bill Pelton.

After Princeton his career in marketing and advertising included stints with International Paper and Young & Rubicam, followed by a number of entrepreneurial ventures. Along the way Bump acted in several movies, plays, and national TV commercials. An avid horseman and tennis player, he was also active in the Church of the Epiphany in nearby Oak Park.

He is survived by his wife, Judie Carroll; his children, Shawn and Samantha; his mother and brother; and four grandchildren. With them, we mourn the passing of our friend and classmate.

The Class of 1961


Alastair died at home in Toronto, April 4, 2004, after a valiant five-year battle with chondrosarcoma, a rare cartilage cancer. He prepared at Fettes College, Edinburgh, Scotland. At Princeton, he majored in English and lived and ate at Colonial, rooming with Ed Cox his senior year. Ed remembered him well: “Alastair was a wonderful human being with a tremendous wry sense of humor, and a terrific guy to be around.”

As one of six Canadians in the class, he was blessed by not having to worry about the draft, and taught English to new Canadians his first year out of college, followed by extensive travel. He worked for real-estate development firms before going out on his own in the development business in the late 1970s. Alastair maintained a lifelong interest in architecture, historic-house restoration, drama, the arts, and travel.

He is survived by his wife of 20 years, Brenda Reid, and two brothers, Ian and Keiller. To them, the class extends its profound sympathy.

The Class of 1968


Rob died Nov. 10, 2003, from complications of multiple sclerosis.

After graduating from Phillips Academy, Rob entered Princeton. His love of science led to a degree in chemistry. After graduation he entered a PhD program at Washington University in St. Louis. Upon receiving his doctorate in 1976, he held postdoctoral fellowships at Reading University in England and the University of Utah. In 1979, he was appointed assistant professor of chemistry at the University of North Texas, where he remained until his retirement in 1997.

While at North Texas, Rob continued his research in the field of organosilicon chemistry, becoming an internationally recognized expert in the field. Although he began to exhibit the debilitating effects of multiple sclerosis in the 1980s, Rob never tired, continuing to teach and conduct groundbreaking research for another 15 years. During this period, he was promoted to a tenured associate professorship.

When not engrossed in research or delivering results of research, Rob was a student of Mayan culture and architecture. He traveled often to Central America and Mexico to explore Mayan ruins and visit museums of Mayan artifacts.

Rob is survived by his father, Thomas; his brother, James; sister Nancy; and a niece and two nephews. To them all, the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1970


Erick, a violinist and professor at the Yale School of Music, died of cancer March 30, 2004. He was 64.

 A child prodigy, Erick studied at Juilliard and made his New York debut as a violinist at 14. At 17, he began studying with Jascha Heifetz, with whom he recorded Bach’s Concerto for Two Violins. He entered Princeton with our class but left after freshman year to pursue his musical career. He taught violin at Southern Methodist
University, North Carolina School of the Arts, and Manhattan School of Music.

 In 1989 he began teaching violin at Yale and taught there for the remainder of his teaching career. He recorded for RCA with the Boston Symphony, the Chicago Symphony, and the London Symphony. He received several Grammy nominations for his recordings, and in 1996, won the Grammy for best historical album for his participation in The Heifetz Collection.

He was conductor and music director for the Garrett Lakes Summer Festival Orchestra in Maryland and played and conducted at music festivals worldwide. In 2000, he received the Ignace J. Paderewski Award for Distinguished Contributions to Society and Culture.

 Erick is survived by his wife, Lu; his son, Brian; and Brian's children, Noah and Rachel.

The Class of 1970


Ric, beloved and admired by all, died at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor Feb. 22, 2004.

He came to Princeton from the Lawrenceville School, where he spent a year after graduating from Grosse Pointe [Mich.] High School. Ric was a star running back at both schools, heavily recruited by major college programs, but a terrible car accident during his Lawrenceville year left him paralyzed from the waist down. His good humor, musical talents, and indomitable courage were inspiring to all. In the days before ramps, friends would simply hoist him in his wheelchair up any steps he needed to climb. On flat terrain, in his golf cart, he was completely independent.

Majoring in architecture, Ric gave a spirited defense of his thesis, the design of a zoo, while dressed in full gorilla costume. He was a member of Ivy Club.

After Princeton, Ric joined his family’s automotive engineering and design business, Gonzalez Design Group, which he ran after his father’s untimely death, overseeing its expansion to the West Coast and diversification into different industries.

Ric is survived by his wife, Ricca; a brother, Gary; two step-siblings, Patrick and Michelle; and many nieces and nephews. The class sends its condolences to all the family.

The Class of 1972


John Propst died Oct. 19, 2001.

He graduated from Woodberry Forest School in Virginia and graduated from Princeton in three years. John worked for the Federal Reserve Bank in Atlanta for 18 years. At the time of his death, he was working for Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Jacksonville, Fla. John is buried on his grandparents’ property in Concord, N.C.

The class extends deep sympathy to John’s family and friends.

The Class of 1973


In her Tigers Pause essay, Violet wrote that although she would miss our 25th reunion, she hoped to make the 30th. Sadly, that will not be.

After an 18-month struggle with breast cancer, Violet died in Oakland, Calif., July 1, 2004. She was 46.

In 1983, Violet earned her medical degree from Stanford, where she met her husband, Keith Jackson, then a graduate student in physics. Violet did her general surgical residency at Howard University and then completed a plastic surgery residency at the University of Southern California. She also earned a master’s degree in cranio-facial biology, and was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Before her death, she had a private practice in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.

Violet’s brilliance, commitment, passion, and courage will be greatly missed. Although wheelchair-bound, in June she attended the same-day graduations of her children, son Akil from Oakland’s College Preparatory School, where she was a trustee, and daughter Kamilah from Stanford.

The class sends its deepest sympathy to Keith, Kamilah, and Akil, and to all of Violet’s family and friends. Those wishing to make a donation in her honor are asked to contact Morehouse College at or Howard University at

The Class of 1979


Our class lost a beloved member and friend with Steve’s death Feb. 18, 2004.

A generous, fun-loving, kind, and mature person who exemplified the best qualities of friendship, Steve lived, loved, and worked with intensity, dignity, and a wonderful and unique sense of humor.

At Princeton he was a resident adviser in Wilson College, a member of Campus Club, and an Outdoor Action leader; he graduated magna cum laude with a degree inarchitecture.

While pursuing a master’s degree at Yale’s School of Architecture, he met classmate Yvonne Galindo. After they married, Steve and Yvonne traveled to Finland, where Steve was a Fulbright Fellow studying architectural sculpture. He then completed an MBA at Cornell. In his career, Steve was a creative force, designing print- and Web-based projects. For the last two years, Steve was senior architecture editor at Rizzoli International Publications in New York City.

To honor Steve, a memorial fund has been established. Send contributions to: Stephen T. Case ’89 Memorial Fund, Princeton University, c/o Nancy Kalmikoff, Gift Records, P.O. Box 5357, Princeton, NJ 08543-5357. Checks should be payable to the University and indicate “Stephen T. Case ’89 Memorial Fund.”

To Yvonne and family Reginald and Bonnie Case, Jennifer Case ’95, Sarah and Len Wright and friends, the class sends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1989

Graduate Alumni


Andrew Tod Roy, missionary to China, died of heart disease May 2, 2004, in his home near Pittsburgh, Pa. He was 101.

Andrew was inspired to a life of service by his father, an engineer who died while nursing Mexican miners through an epidemic of yellow fever. After receiving a bachelor’s degree from Washington and Lee University in 1925, Andrew studied in Great Britain and at the Peking Language School with his wife, Margaret, before appointment by the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions to the University of Nanking. During furloughs home, Andrew earned a master’s and a doctorate from Princeton in philosophy.

Remaining in China through World War II and the communist victory of 1949, Andrew was placed under house arrest at the onset of the Korean War. In 1951, Chinese authorities denounced and expelled him from China. He returned to missionary work in Asia in 1954, teaching at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. In 1982 he and Margaret retired to Pennsylvania.

Andrew lived through interesting times, recording his experiences in a privately published memoir and much poetry. He is survived by two sons, David and J. Stapleton ’56, and three grandchildren.


Armand Di Giacomo died Nov. 4, 2003, at Johns Hopkins University Hospital from complications following surgery.

Armand earned master’s and doctoral degrees at Princeton in chemistry under the guidance of Dr. Charles P. Smyth, a Nichols Medalist. He spent his entire career as a research chemist at E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., Inc. Over four decades, his work touched diverse areas such as elastomers, nitrocellulose, plastic polymers, heterogeneous catalysis, and continuous polymerization of Teflon.

In later years Armand became an avid duplicate bridge player, earning the designation of Silver Life Master. He served as an officer of the Delaware State Bridge Association and edited its newsletter for 12 years.

While a graduate student, Armand was concertmaster of the Princeton University Orchestra. He continued to play the violin professionally with the Delaware Symphony, Wilmington Opera Company, the DuPont String Quartet, and The Brandywiners Ltd.

The hours he spent playing music were precious to him. Nevertheless, in his own estimation Armand’s most significant achievement was the family he raised with his wife, Virginia.

Armand is survived by Virginia; their four sons, Robert, Stephen, Joseph, and Ronald; and 12 grandchildren.


David Lockwood Egan died at his home in St. Helena, Mont., March 5, 2004. He was 69.

Originally from Seattle, David attended the University of Washington. Following a year at the Woodrow Wilson School, he worked in marketing for firms in San Francisco. In 1979 he founded Fairfield Capital Associates, providing marketing services to investment-advisory firms. In the mid-1990s, David moved to St. Helena, where he became involved in exporting food products to China.

David is survived by his wife, Connie, six children, and six grandchildren.


Jess Ranson Totten died May 12, 2004. He was 76.

Born in Sherman, Texas, Jess attended the Virginia Military Institute, the Air Force Institute of Technology and Princeton, where he earned a master’s degree in aeronautical engineering. He served in the Air Force as a pilot for 28 years and retired as a colonel. Subsequently, he worked at the Graduate School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin.

Jess is survived by his wife, Julia, four sons, and 10 grandchildren.


Winthrop S. Risk, who received his PhD in physics from Princeton in 1966, died July 11, 2003, a month shy of his 64th birthday.

Winthrop, who was Lebanese, led a rich and varied life. At Princeton he met his wife, Alice, who was also Lebanese. After graduation, Winthrop taught physics at the University of Maryland. In his early 30s, however, he decided there was little future for him in that field. Shifting careers dramatically, he attended medical school at the American University of Beirut, where the last three years of his training coincided with the Lebanese Civil War. As a medical student Winthrop spent much time attending to those wounded in the fighting. He also did research on subacute sclerosing panenceph-alitis, hunting down cases of the viral disease in Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan.

Subsequently, at the University of Iowa, Winthrop specialized in neurology. He died in a car accident while on his way to a medical conference on pain.

Winthrop is survived by his wife; his son, Win S. Risk II, who is also a neurologist; and his stepson, David Livingston.

SAMUEL E.Q. ASHLEY *33, Chemistry, May 31, 2004

EDWARD Y. LIN *35, Economics, July 22, 2004

IRVIN M. KORR *35, Biology, March 4, 2004

SOL A. SEGAL *36, Economics, Dec. 11, 2003

MAURICE H. L. PRYCE *37, Mathematics, July 24, 2003

ERLE I. SHOBERT II *39, Physics, May 31, 2001

ARTHUR F. WELD JR. *40, Modern Languages and Literature, Dec. 1, 2002

ROBERT HOOKE *42, Mathematics, Aug. 4, 2003

ANTONIO R. PACE *43, Modern Languages and Literature, Feb. 18, 2004

GEORGE H. Warren *44, Biology, May 20, 2004

WILLIAM B. COBB JR. *45, Politics, March 19, 2003

JOSEPH LEIN *47, Biology, Dec. 31, 2003

S. WILLIAM DOWEY *48, Politics, July 22, 2003

GEORGE GORIN *49, Chemistry, March 22, 2004

WILLIAM H. LIVINGSTON *50, Aeronautical Engineering, March 10, 2004

JOSEPH W. McCRACKEN *50, Woodrow Wilson School, Oct. 26, 2003

THOMAS J.B. SHANLEY *51, Nuclear Science, Jan. 10, 2004

AUBREY R. SEILER *52, Aeronautical Engineering, May 22, 2003

ROBERT S. ARTHUR *52, History, Dec. 3, 2003

DAVID T. HARRJE *53, Aeronautical Engineering, Dec., 1995

JOHN J. CARROLL *55, Woodrow Wilson School, Feb. 22, 2002

SERGE L. HUGHES *55, Modern Languages and Literature, Feb. 28, 2004

CHRISTOPHER SHERMAN *55, Physics, May 20, 2004

RUDOLPH S. BOTTEI *56, Chemistry, April 23, 2003

HARVEY I. KERPNECK *56, English, May 14, 2004

ROBERT W. ANDERSON *59, Politics, Jan. 17, 1998

MAX MINKIN *66, Woodrow Wilson School, Jan. 28, 2004

WILLIAM D. GRAY *67, Politics, May 16, 2004

STEPHEN F. PERCIVAL JR. *72, Geological and Geophysical Sciences, May 22, 2003

JOHN A. SEKORA *72, English, Feb. 2, 1997

FREDERICK H. WINSOR JR. *73, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, May 29, 2003 end of article


Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary