human resources link

October 20, 2004: Memorials


Clay died June 25, 2004.

He prepared at Schenley High School in Pittsburgh. At Princeton he was on the Swimming Squad, was property manager of the Triangle Club, and was a member of Glee Club, University Choir, and Court Club. He obtained a professional degree in electrical engineering at Princeton in 1933 and went to work for Republic Steel Corp. in Youngstown, Ohio. Clay worked for Republic in various capacities including laboring, engineering, and supervision, eventually becoming assistant superintendent of blooming and billet mills. He left Republic in 1943 to join Page Hersey Tubes as plant engineer, later becoming assistant general works manager and finally general works manager.

Because of unusual pressure due to plant expansion in recent years, Clay had to drop such activities as Rotary Club and Chamber of Commerce, retaining only his membership in technical societies and remaining active in church work.

Clay was predeceased by his wife, Helen McDonald Morehead; his sister, Barbara Morehead; and his brother, James C. Morehead Jr. He is survived by his children, Jean Greenberg, Clayton Morehead, Jr., and Barbara Storer; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. The class extends sincere sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1932



Bill Rust died June 24, 2004.

He prepared at Kansas City Country Day School and attended Princeton with the Class of ’32. He was on the freshman golf squad and was a member of Cannon Club. Fresh-

man year he roomed with Webb Harrison and George Gurley. He left Princeton in 1930 for health reasons and continued college at the University of Arizona.

Bill’s wife, the former Helen MacKenzie, and son, John B. Rust III, predeceased him. He is survived by three grandchildren, John D. Rust, Adam M. Rust, and Gretchen Rust, to whom the class extends sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1932


Ed died July 4, 2004, in Jacksonville, Fla., his birthplace.

He graduated with honors from Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va. At Princeton he was valedictorian of the Class of ’33 and chairman of the Daily Princetonian board of directors. After law school at Harvard, he practiced law briefly in Jacksonville and then served as a lieutenant commander on the aircraft carrier USS Savo Island during World War II in the Pacific theater.

After the war, Ed practiced law until 1960, when he joined the Atlantic National Bank, of which he became president. After several bank mergers he became chairman of the board of what later became Wachovia.

In civic activities, Ed was tireless. He served as chairman of the boards of the Cummer Museum, the Community Chest, United Fund, and the Children’s Home Society. He was on the board of governors of the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce, was president of Group III Florida Bankers Association, and was on the advisory board of the Salvation Army.

Ed is survived by his wife of 56 years, the former Helen Murchison; their children Edward Wood III, Palmer Lane Dorn, Anna Taliaferro Lane, and Charles Murchison Lane; and 13 grandchildren and nephews. He was a wonderful husband, father, and grand-father whose kindness, sense of humor, and affection were deeply appreciated.

The Class of 1933


Three years after suffering a debilitating stroke, Doug died May 12, 2004, in Peterborough, N.H., where he and his wife, Evie, had moved to be near his son and daughter-in-law.

Drafted during World War II, Doug served in Panama, the Philippines, and New Guinea, attaining the rank of captain. After study at NYU’s Graduate School of Business, he was certified as a public accountant in 1948. He joined Haskin & Sells (now Deloitte & Touche), was made a partner in 1957, and remained there until retirement.

A longtime resident of Darien, Conn., he was consultant with the National Executive Service Corps for the Northside Develop-ment, a Harlem, N.Y., school and clinic for children with learning disabilities. He was a board member and treasurer of Darien Community YMCA.

Doug’s favorite sports were hockey and golf. He played for St. Nicholas Hockey Club, America’s oldest amateur club, and golfed in the United States and Great Britain with the Connecticut Seniors in his retirement.

Doug and Evie (the former Evelyn Makepeace) were married in 1943. She survives, as do their daughter Candace and son Douglas Jr., four grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. To all we offer our deep sympathy.

The Class of 1939



Deef died at his home in England Feb. 7, 2004.

Enjoying his last Christmas, Deef wore his Princeton crew cap. His car’s license plate long had the identification P40 ADK. According to his family, Princeton and the class were always close to his heart during his many years abroad after graduation.

Deef prepared at Kent [Conn.] School. At Princeton he majored in English, was a member of crew and the Travel Bureau staff, and was manager of Cap and Gown.

Upon graduation, he joined Citibank in Shanghai, the city, in his words, offering the “greatest opportunities in the world.” In 1942 he was captured by the Japanese and was held in the Lungwa prison camp for the duration of the war — a “frustration” of forced inactivity.

From 1960-1973 he ran his own business from Paris, “conducting business acquisitions on behalf of American companies in Europe.” In 1974 he started Keyline Security PLC, an industrial-security service company, turning the CEO post over to his son, David, in December 2003.

A memorial service was held at the Seend Church in England and a memorial luncheon was held during the summer at the Devon Yacht Club in East Hampton, N.Y. To David and his family, Deef’s classmates extend their sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940


A resident of Westchester County, N.Y., for 54 years, Ed died on July 5, 2004.

Ed prepared at Newman School. At Princeton he majored in psychology, was active in football, track, and the 165-pound University Boxing Championship, was a member of the Catholic Club, and was senior manager of Key and Seal.

During World War II, he was a naval officer in the South Pacific. He served in the Korean War and later with the Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet, carrying troops to, he said, “the far-flung bases of the United States,” retiring as a commander with four campaign ribbons and a battle star for the invasion of the Philippines. He was commanding officer of the Naval and Marine Corps Training Center in New Rochelle, N.Y., for three years.

Appointed director of Playland, a Westchester County park in 1955, Ed served for 28 years, retiring with effusive accolades for his management. He was a member of the board of directors of the International Amusement Park Association.

He is survived by his beloved wife of 61 years, Eloyse Collings Kilcullen; daughters Mary Thompson, Kathleen Padicano, Nancy Evjen, and Patricia Mackenzie; 14 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

“Of all of life’s experiences, my family has been the most rewarding,” Ed wrote in our 50th reunion book. To his family, his classmates extend their deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940


The end of an era. Damon, paragon of class secretaries and exemplar of fulfillment in career and retirement, died unexpectedly July 19, 2004, in New London, N.H.

A graduate of Phillips Academy Andover, he majored in English at Princeton, won letters in hockey, and was a member of Charter Club, the Glee Club, and Yacht Club.

Rejected medically by the armed services in World War II, Damon engaged in labor relations at Raytheon Co. In 1945 he married Ann Brittain, who died in 1992. They had four children, Janet, Betsy, Damon Jr., and Steven.

Damon truly enjoyed his career in advertising in Boston. He excelled as an account executive. In 1982, he retired as vice president and director from Humphrey Browning and MacDougal. He and Ann then moved from Newton, Mass., to Warner, N.H.

In our 50th yearbook, Damon wrote, “35 years plus in advertising business strictly training for what I do best — retirement . . .” True to that claim, with Ann’s support and company, Damon developed low-income housing in Warner, attended most of our class functions, gave invaluable direction to our mini-reunions, enjoyed sailing and skiing, and was an avid tennis player. Damon married Ann Walen in 1997 and moved to New London.

To all of Damon’s wonderful family, the class extends its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942


Brooks died June 17, 2004, after a brief illness. He was 80 and had lived with his wife, Maggie, many years in Orinda, Calif.

On doctors’ orders, he was not allowed to attend our 60th reunion and this was a major disappointment to him and to us. He thought our 50th was “terrific!” Brooks peppered class secretaries with notes about classmates he’d seen, his work on alumni schools committees, the log cabin he and Maggie built in the foothills of the Sierras (made of “giant Lincoln Logs”), and their trips with their children by camper across the United States and later by themselves, using Elderhostel.

Brooks came to Princeton from New Rochelle [N.Y.] High School with Lew Doom, majored in engineering, and was a member of the freshman swimming squad and Cannon Club. He left Princeton in 1943 with the ROTC unit and was serving as an instructor at Fort Sill when he met Maggie, a Red Cross social worker, through Rob Carlisle. They married, with Bud Herbruck as best man, in 1945. After occupation service in the Philippines, he returned to graduate in 1947. His career was as a manufacturing engineer with Goodyear.

Our condolences go to Maggie and their sons, Harold “Chip” Brooks Jr. ’69, Tom, and Don. Brooks was preceded in death by a daughter, Margaret Sheldon.

The Class of 1944


Jim died July 23, 2004, of prostate cancer in Atlanta, Ga.

Since 1982 Jim and Marty, his wife of 52 years, had lived in Vero Beach, Fla., where he enjoyed golf, tennis and the companionship of many area Tigers. A member of John’s Island Club in Vero, he organized many class mini-reunions there.

A Hartford, Conn., native, Jim graduated from Deerfield Academy and entered Princeton in 1942 to major in geology. From 1943-46, he served in the First Marine Division as a second lieutenant in the Pacific area. After his 1947 graduation, he began a long career with the Hartford-based Holo-Krome Screw Co., working in Chicago, Greenville, S.C., Hartford, and Lancaster, Pa. The Marines again called him for service in the Korean War. He retired as chairman of his own Datcon Instrument Co. of Lancaster in 1986. In Vero Beach, he owned a small business called Kwik Chek Gage Co.

Jim leaves his wife and their children James Jr., Graham, Marcy Wilson, and Carolyn Shiverick, and eight grandchildren. The class extends deep sympathy to them and joins to honor a loyal Marine, husband, father, and energetic classmate.

The Class of 1946


Harry died June 16, 2004, of cancer.

A lifelong resident of Albany, N.Y., he graduated from Albany High School and in 1942 entered Princeton, where he majored in SPIA (Woodrow Wilson School). He enjoyed sports and debating. He served in the Army in Germany from 1943-46 as a combat infantryman. His unit liberated a prison camp in 1945. Many years later, a survivor sought out Harry in Albany and together they spoke to young audiences about the Holocaust, earning honors from the Shoah Foundation.

After a successful law career in Albany and a stint as New York State bar examiner, Harry retired in 1990. He served on local and state civic boards and the area Princeton schools committee. He was remembered by classmate Bill Litchfield as “one beautiful human being.”

Survived by his wife of 50 years, Louise, sons Harry III and Christopher, daughter Elizabeth, and eight grandchildren, Harry left a proud legacy that the class joins the family in treasuring.

The Class of 1946


Lowell died July 17, 2004, in Lawrence, Kan. He was 77.

Lowell grew up in Washington, D.C., and graduated from Western High School. At Princeton he belonged to Court Club, sang in the Chapel Choir, and graduated in June 1949 with honors in politics. While serving as an Army officer, he was building officer for the Palace of Justice in Nuremberg in the last months of the Nazi war crime trials. He earned a master’s in Oriental languages and literature from Princeton in 1954.

Lowell’s business career was with Acacia Mutual Life Insurance in Washington. He retired in 1987 when he and his wife, Janet, moved to Kansas to be near their son, Roy, and their two grandsons. His participation in choral groups was a lifelong interest. Lowell was a member of the Washington Cathedral Choral Society, the Fairfax County [Va.] Choral Society, and later, in Bonner Springs, Kan., the Kaw Valley Community Choir.

To Janet and son Roy, the class extends its profound condolences at the death of a classmate who was devoted to Princeton.

The Class of 1948


Mel died Jan. 6, 2003. His cause of death is unknown.

He came to Princeton from Racine, Wis. He prepared at Culver Academy. He spent two semesters with us and then withdrew. There is no other information concerning him in any of the sources available except that his wife’s name was Eleanor and that his residence was in Racine. Attempts to contact any survivor have been unsuccessful.

If any reader can provide additional information, please send it to the class secretary.

The Class of 1949


Sewell Watts died July 17, 2004, of complications from back surgery.

Born in Baltimore, he prepared at Gilman School. He majored in economics and played varsity lacrosse on the 1953 championship team. Sewell served in the Army from 1954-56. He later became a partner in the firm of Baker, Watts & Co., and its chairman in 1988. He remained active in the firm until his death.

He served on numerous boards in the Baltimore area including the Bryn Mawr School there. He remained passionate about Shakespeare, Beethoven, Princeton, and the city of his birth. He served as president of the board of Centerstage from 1967-72.

Sewell is survived by his wife of 28 years, the former Margaret Diane “Penny” Nichols; a son, Jonathan Stansbury Watts; two daughters, Caroline Lucinda Watts and Anne Hambleton Watts; a stepson, John W. Nicholson Jr.; a stepdaughter, Kimberly Jane Nicholson; and nine grandchildren. A previous marriage ended in divorce.

The class extends its sympathy to the family on their loss.

The Class of 1954


Bart died Dec. 6, 2003, in Bayport, N.Y., following a long illness.

He came to Princeton from Bay Shore [N.Y.] High School, where he participated in basketball, football, student government, and publications. A civil engineering student at Princeton, he played basketball for four years, and represented Cannon Club on softball and volleyball teams. In his senior year, he roomed with Al Newcomb and Denny Kirwan. His special interest was classical music.

Bart worked for many years as a professional engineer with the Suffolk County Public Works department, where he served as a commissioner. In 1980, he was named Suffolk County Engineer of the Year. He was an active member of the Bayport United Methodist Church, the Masons, the Royal Arch, and the Sayville Yacht Club.

The class offers its most sincere condolences to Bart’s wife, Barbara; daughter Marion and her husband, Stephen Grust; daughter Susan Cass; son Dwight and his wife, Jeanne; and grandchildren Eric Grust, Caroline Wright, and Ian Michael Cass.

The Class of 1956


Harris died June 25, 2004, after a battle with cancer.

He was born in New York City and prepared for Princeton at the Fay School. He majored in European Civilization with an emphasis on French, joined Key and Seal, and enjoyed hockey, soccer, debate, and crew.

After Princeton, Harris spent two years in the Army, then commenced his Wall Street career, first at J.P. Morgan, then Dean Witter and Auerbach Pollok & Richardson. He left Wall Street in the 1970s.

His great love was military history, and in 1976 he and his second wife, Margaretta, opened The Military Bookman, a New York store specializing in military books and all kinds of items related to the military. (He read Napoleon in French and one of his teachers referred to him as the “Clausewitz of his class.”) The store closed in 2001.

A warm and intense person, Harris had an open mind and an open heart, many friends, and many interests including Malta stamps, woodstripping, and the Second Regiment in the Shenandoah Valley campaign.

Our class extends its sincere sympathy to Margaretta, son Alexander, and daughter Rossy. He will be missed.

The Class of 1957


Bill died at Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia July 10, 2004. He was 69.

A resident of Doylestown, Pa., he was born and raised in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He prepared at Wyoming Seminary. At Princeton, Bill majored in biology, joined the band and the Orange Key, and became a member of Terrace Club. His senior roommates were Marty Uman, Jim Meyer, and Steve Nelson.

After graduation Bill received a medical degree from Jefferson Medical College with further study at St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem, Pa. He served in the Army in Alaska, receiving a commendation medal. Bill then joined a family practice and served as president of the Bucks County [Pa.] Medical Society.

He was president of the Doylestown Presbyterian Church, Peace Valley Nature Center, and Wagner’s Run Fishing Associa-

tion. An avid fisherman and wood carver, his basswood carving won acclaim in 1974 at the Ward Foundation in Salisbury, Md.

He is survived by his wife, Janet; daughters Elizabeth, Jennifer, and Margaret; six grandchildren; and a brother and sister. The class extends its sympathy to the family and friends of this good man.

The Class of 1957


Robert Fulton Porter (known to all as “Steamboat”) died of cancer Dec. 29, 2002.

Originally from Harlan, Ky., Steamboat came to Princeton after graduating from Woodberry Forest School. He played 150-pound football and rugby, and was a member of Cottage Club. He initially joined Central National Bank in Richmond, Va., rising to the position of vice president, and in his spare time founded, played, and refereed games for the Richmond Rugby Football Club. In 1970 he moved to Chapel Hill to study art history, and received his PhD from the University of North Carolina in 1974.

His first teaching position was at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, where he taught in the art department and then in the humanities department for nine years. Upon moving to Charlotte he taught at Queens University, becoming chairman of the Division of Fine Arts. An enthusiastic teacher, he appreciated works of art that challenged the imagination. Steamboat thrived on creating large and small sculptures and had several shows in Virginia and North Carolina.

The class sends its deepest sympathy to his wife, Mary Porter; son Robert III and his wife, Martha, and their daughters Jennifer and Maggie; and son Christopher Todd and his wife, Gretchen.

The Class of 1958


Ed died Dec. 19, 2002, after a long battle with cancer.

Ed entered Princeton from Woodberry Forest School on an NROTC scholarship, participated on the varsity soccer team, joined Key and Seal Club, and graduated with honors in physics. Serving three years as a naval officer, Ed was assigned to train some of the first nuclear-emergency teams.

After receiving a PhD from New York University’s Engineering/Environmental Health program, Ed became a tenured professor of environmental medicine at NYU’s Medical Center and pursued teaching and research. Ed would say that his area of specialty “was not so much sick people as sick environments.”

From 1980 on he held two positions with the University of Utah, as director of the radiobiology laboratory and director of the environmental radiation/toxicology laboratory, becoming an international expert on the biological effects of internally deposited radioactive material. He authored some 100 scientific journal publications and contributed to 16 books in his field. For most of his life, Ed was an avid skier and tennis player, and coached several youth soccer teams.

The class sends its deepest sympathy to his wife, Elizabeth, and his sons Ed III and Edmund Tyler from Ed’s previous marriage to Marie Claude Wrenn.

The Class of 1958


Paul died in an automobile accident June 5, 2004.

Born in Philadelphia, he came to Princeton from Andover. An English major and a member of Cloister, he roomed with Charlie Frisbie, Peter Hyde, Mike Stonehill, and Jim Zirin.

Following Harvard Law School, Paul practiced estate and trust law for 39 years with the firm of Dechert LLP, and managed its New York City office for many years. For three years he was deputy chief of the Radio and Television Bureau of the FCC.

Active in community affairs, Paul was involved in open-space preservation in Pennsylvania and served for 25 years on the board of PresbyHomes and Services, most of the time as chair, and founded and chaired its foundation. He also served the Old Pine Community Center and the Pennypack Watershed Association, and was a member of the Union League of Philadelphia, the Philadelphia Club and the Old Pine Presbyterian Church, where his memorial service was held.

He is survived by his wife, Joan, children Joanna Pavlik and Andrew Putney, and four grandchildren. “He loved his time at Princeton,” Joan wrote. With her and his family, we mourn his passing.

The Class of 1961


Leslie died Feb. 7, 2004, of complications from an epileptic seizure.

Leslie lived with his family in San Francisco and taught elementary school in Oakland. At Princeton, Leslie majored in politics and was a member of Charter Club.

In a tribute to him, three members of the House of Representatives, including Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco, the House Democratic leader, stated the following: “Leslie Reif was the kind of teacher students remember 10 and 20 and even 40 years later, because he made a real difference in their young lives. They will remember him for his tireless dedication to excellence, his infectious optimism, and his deep caring for them and their achievements. He will be remembered as a man who loved working with children.

“He was a kind, modest man who downplayed most of his own accomplishments, while working hard to encourage the success of others. That is the lasting legacy he leaves to his family, his school, our communities, and our country.”

Survivors include Leslie’s wife, Millie Phillips; their son, Daniel; Leslie’s stepson, Jeffrey Morgan; his mother, Rita Reif; and his brother, Tim Reif ’80 *85.

A scholarship has been created in Leslie’s name at the Marcus A. Foster Educational Institute, 1203 Preservation Parkway, Suite 303, Oakland, CA 94612. Contributions should be designated for the Leslie Reif Fund.

The Class of 1976

Graduate Alumni


Gilbert Norman Plass died March 1, 2004, in Bryan, Texas. He was 83.

Born in Toronto, Canada, Gilbert graduated from Harvard in 1941 and earned a PhD in physics from Princeton in 1947. A professor at Texas A&M University, he authored six books and more than 100 articles.

In addition to his science, Gilbert actively supported the arts. He helped found arts organizations, served as president of arts societies, and produced a twice-weekly radio program for a Texas FM station.

Gilbert is survived by a daughter, six grandchildren, and four stepgrandchildren.



Preston Rively Clement, an electrical engineer and educator, died June 18, 2004, in Princeton.

Born in Kansas City, Mo., Preston matriculated at the University of Kansas, where he was inducted into the Navy Reserve on active duty through the end of World War II. In the fall of 1946 he returned to the University of Kansas for a master's degree and went on to Princeton in 1948 for a PhD. in electrical engineering. He then joined the faculty of Princeton, with brief forays to New Mexico to conduct military research, and to the University of California at Berkeley.

In 1964 Preston moved to Stevens Institute of Technology, where he became head of his department and, later, provost and dean of the college. While at Stevens, Preston was involved in U.S. attempts to establish English-speaking technical colleges in Afghanistan and Algeria. He also spent time in Saudi Arabia as professor at the University of Petroleum and Minerals in Dhahran. Toward the end of his career Preston returned to Princeton for several years as a visiting faculty member. He was author of a textbook and numerous articles,

Preston is survived by his friend and confidant of over 48 years, David G. Glen.



William Edward Kurtz died of pneumonia March 22, 2004, in Sarasota, Fla. He was 83.

William graduated from the Naval Academy in Annapolis and earned a master’s degree in aeronautical engineering from Princeton. During World War II, he served aboard an aircraft carrier in the Pacific; during the Korean War he flew Navy jets. William retired from the military in 1957 as a lieutenant commander. He joined Rockwell International, handling government aviation contracts until 1984.

William’s first marriage ended in divorce. He is survived by his wife, Kathryn; two sons by his first wife, Dorothy; and two grandchildren.



David McKeon Saunders, a Naval officer, businessman and avid yachtsman, died in Annapolis June 16, 2004, from complications of a stroke. He was 83.

Born and raised in Washington, D.C., David graduated from the Naval Academy in 1944 with the Class of 1945, accelerated due to World War II. He first served aboard ship in the Pacific theater, then went to flight school and became a naval aviator in the last year of the war. In 1951 he received a Guggenheim Fellowship to pursue jet propulsion studies at Princeton, where he earned a master’s in aeronautical engineering. After leaving Princeton, he was assigned to the Navy's first propjet mine-laying squadron, became director of program evaluation for the Navy's Anti-Submarine Warfare Systems Project in Washington, and served a tour of duty in Vietnam.

After retirement in 1968, David established a real estate development and restoration business. He also pursued two avocations — flying small airplanes and sailing yachts — and won numerous trophies in ocean racing, including the prestigious Viking trophy in the Chesapeake Bay championships.

David was predeceased by his first wife, Elizabeth, and is survived by his second wife, Carol, three sons, and four grandchildren.



Maximilian A. Kraft Jr. died of lymphoma in Philadelphia June 7, 2004. He was 71.

Maximilian grew up in Philadelphia and matriculated at Drexel University. He earned a master's degree in electrical engineering from Princeton and worked as a space communications engineer for General Electric and Lockheed Martin. Retiring in 1998, he took a clown course and joined a clown club. Dressed in a red wig and yellow suit, pink yoyo in hand, "Hickory the Clown" performed at children's hospitals and social events.

Maximilian is survived by his wife, Mary, a son, and a daughter.



Martin Silverstein, a mathematics professor at Washington University in St. Louis, was struck by a car while on foot. He died Jan. 15, 2004, at age 64.

Martin was known internationally for his work in harmonic analysis. After a visit to China in the early 1980s he opened a conduit for Chinese graduate students to train in mathematics at Washington University.

Martin received bachelor’s and master’s degrees from MIT in 1961. He earned his PhD in mathematics at Princeton.

He is survived by his wife, Ann, his three children, and four grandchildren.


This issue has undergraduate memorials for Clayton White Morehead ’32 *33 and Lowell Stotts Lashbrook ’48 *54. end of article


Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary