human resources link

November 3, 2004: Memorials


Bud died May 16, 2003, at his home in Dalton, Pa. He was 97.

Born in Scranton, Pa., he attended Scranton Central High School, Mercersburg Academy, and the Lawrenceville School. He played varsity football at Princeton, leaving after his sophomore year to work for International Salt Co. of Scranton, where he was employed for 39 years. He retired in 1971 as its executive vice president.

Bud served in the Army Air Corps during World War II, attaining the rank of captain. He gave reconnaissance briefings and flew several missions over enemy territory.

As the second-oldest former varsity player in attendance, he participated in the inauguration of the new Princeton Stadium. He served as an officer in the Princeton Club of Northeastern Pennsylvania, and worked for Schools Committee and Annual Giving activities. He was a past president of the Waverly [Pa.] Community House, and was active with the Boy Scouts in Scranton and Big Brothers in New York City. He was AG chair for his class for several years preceding his death.

An avid sportsman, Bud will be remembered by his family and friends for his zest for life, optimism, curiosity, and gift for friendship.

His first wife, Carolyn Roberts, died in 1996. The class extends condolences to his widow, Genevieve “Genee”; his children, Loring, Lyn, and Nick; his extended family; and many friends.

The Class of 1931



Steve, who founded the research policy institute at Sweden’s Lund University, thus beginning his pioneering work in business intelligence, on which he published more than 250 papers, died June 14, 2004, in Dubrovnik. Croatia, where he lived his final years. It was over Dubrovnik that he celebrated his 89th birthday with, in his words, “a parachute glide.”

During World War II, Steve enlisted in the Army’s 101st Airborne Division and, as bodyguard to the division commander, Gen. Maxwell Taylor, took part in the abortive September 1944 Arnhem airborne attack. In February 1945 he received special dispensation from Gen. Dwight Eisenhower to return to Yugoslavia, the country of his birth,

where he went to work for Gen. Tito’s new government.

In 1952 Steve was appointed director of Yugoslavia’s Nuclear Institute. In 1962 he joined the sociology department at Lund, and a decade later began the research policy institute. “Intelligence today,” he wrote in 1975, “is about using the collective knowledge of the organization to reach an advantageous position in industry.”

Steve is survived by his wife, Carin Hallberg Dedijer.

The Class of 1934



David died July 19, 2004. He was 88.

He prepared at the Gilman School. At Princeton, he majored in English, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and was a member of Colonial Club. He also earned a doctorate in English at Princeton in 1940.

David spent a year as a Henry Fellow at Trinity College, Cambridge University. There he met and later married Beridge Leigh-Mallory, a daughter of the English mountaineer George Leigh-Mallory, who died on Mount Everest in 1924. Beridge died in 1953.

During World War II, David served three years in the Washington office of the Chief of Naval Operations as a lieutenant. In 1946, he was ranked as a lieutenant commander in the Naval Reserve.

David was an English professor for more than 40 years at Barnard College of Columbia University. He retired in 1986. He had many interests, including mountaineering, and wrote three books.

He served Princeton on several department advisory committees. Later, after moving to Princeton in 1991, he was named chairman of the Friends of the Princeton University Library.

In 1964 he married Victoria A. Brier. Their marriage ended in divorce. David is survived by his wife, Harriet; children Anne Spencer, and Susan, Allan, Struan, Isabel, and Sam Robertson; stepchildren Ellen Stockmayer and Pieter Fisher; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1936



Bill died of heart failure June 25, 2004. He was 90.

A graduate of Lawrenceville, Bill majored in political science at Princeton, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and was president of Key and Seal Club. In 1938 he was employed by the Baltimore Sun newspapers, published by the A.S. Abell Co. In 1960, he became president of the company, which by then also owned TV and radio operations. Bill’s career with the company spanned more than 40 years, including 20 as publisher. He was known as a hands-on, innovative executive who introduced new production techniques and established bureaus in many large cities worldwide. He retired in 1979.

Bill was president of the American Newspaper Publishers Association in 1969 and 1970. He served on the boards of Johns Hopkins University, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Gilman School, Roland Park Country School, and Trinity College in Washington. Loyola College awarded him an honorary degree in 1978. He was an original member of the Greater Baltimore Committee.

Bill is survived by his wife, Mary Elizabeth, whom he married in 1939; sons William F. III ’63 and John E.; daughters Elizabeth Ann Howard and Molly McGoldrick; nine grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1936



Hugh, our self-described “quiet rolling stone” died July 10, 2004, in Still River, Mass., the location of his beloved Saint Benedict Priory.

He prepared at Solebury School and Lavilla in Lausanne. Hugh’s relative, Peyton Randolph Harrison, was in the Class of 1851.

Hugh majored in modern languages, and was a member of the ski club and Cloister Inn. He was a student at Yale Divinity School from 1940-42. Thereafter, he had a succession of employers: Time, Inc.; the Metropolitan Museum of Art; New York Telephone;

J. Walter Thompson, South America; the Foundation for Youth and Student Affairs; the William J. Kerby Foundation; and the Smithsonian Institution. Hugh also worked for the federal government as an information consultant to the Economic Cooperation Administration, for the American Friends Service Committee, American Hospital in Paris, the American School in Paris, the Catholic Association for International Peace, First Franco-American Cultural Exchange, and the International Council of Museums.

He was the author of a French translation of Mother Goose. Since 1970 he spent most of his time in various monasteries in the United States and abroad — contemplating, writing, and serving as an oblate. He remained active skiing and sailing. Hugh is survived by dear friends and family: Mary Bullard Rousseau, Myrna Latham, nephews, nieces, grand- and great-grand nephews, and nieces. To them, his classmates extend their sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940



We lost Dave July 1, 2004.

A native of Westchester, N.Y., he graduated from South Kent School in Connecticut. At Princeton, he majored in psychology and was a member of ROTC. He was on the freshman crew, joined Tower Club, and roomed with George Christie.

During World War II, he served as an artillery officer in Germany, retiring as a captain. After the war, Dave earned a master’s degree from Columbia University in 1947, and then spent his entire career teaching French and Spanish at Choate and the Rye [N.Y.] Country Day School. Retiring in 1978, he worked part time until 1987.

His brother, Stu, who predeceased him, was in the Class of 1939. Dave is survived by two nephews, Robert and Stuart Cowan ’65, as well as five great-nephews and nieces.

The Class of 1941



Dave died June 11, 2004.

He prepared at the Gunnery School, where he was an avid baseball and ice-hockey player, as well as a music lover. The son of Dr. Arthur H. Jackson ’12, he majored in music at Princeton but left after sophomore year to attend Colorado College in Colorado Springs. There he was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and the ice-hockey team.

Joining the Marine Corps in 1941, he spent the early years of the war as a flight instructor. Dave then joined the 542nd Night Fighter Squadron, winning the Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal with two Gold Stars. After the war he continued flying jets in the Marine Corps Reserve and retired as a lieutenant colonel in 1958.

Dave then started his own flight-training and aviation-sales business. As a result of selling Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald’s, his first private airplane, Dave joined the McDonald’s real estate department. This led to his acquiring McDonald’s franchises in Woodbury Heights, Glassboro, and Paulsboro, N.J. In 1990 he sold the business to his son and spent winters in Florida.

After his wife, Waldena, died in 2000, he moved to Maryland to be near his daughter, Sherill Specht. He is survived by her, son W. David, his good friend Edie, and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Ben, who became a legendary football coach — “the father of Air Force football” — during 20 years at the Air Force Academy, died in Colorado Springs July 24, 2004, two months after a heart attack. He was 83.

At The Hill School, he starred in football, basketball, and track; at Princeton, in football, track, and scholastically. He roomed with Windy Strawbridge and Ed Schneider, and joined Tiger Inn. 

After Pearl Harbor, Ben transferred to the Naval Academy and achieved All-America mention as an end. He also was brigade commander and class president, graduating in 1945. After sea duty, he became an assistant football coach for Navy, then head coach for the University of Virginia. He led Air Force from 1958-77. His first team was undefeated, the only such success in academy history.

He was named “Coach of the Year” by Washington’s Touchdown Club, and took three teams to bowls. Ben thought the pinnacle of his career was being named president of the American Football Coaches Associa-

tion in 1977. He later became an analyst for ABC Sports, broadcaster for Air Force games, and a nationally popular motivational speaker.

He is survived by his two sons, Lawrence “Bud” and Ben, to whom we extend our condolences. Ben was one of a kind to all who knew him.

The Class of 1944



Ben died at a daughter’s Illinois home June 28, 2004, after being diagnosed with cancer in late 2003. He was 83.

A native of Batavia, Ill., he came to Princeton via Culver Military Academy and Lawrenceville. He promptly made a Princeton name for himself as an outstanding diver on the swimming team.

Ben majored in English and joined Tiger Inn. His roommates included Dick Werbe, Bill Soons, and Jim Vauclain. He joined the Army in 1943, became a liaison pilot, and served in the Philippines and the occupation in Japan.

After the war, Ben worked in sales for his family’s Campana Corp. in Batavia, and for nine years co-owned a radio station in nearby Aurora. While he lived for a time in Palm Beach, Fla., his roots remained in Kane County, where he also served as a probation/parole officer for nine years. His golf handicap was four while president of the Geneva Golf Club.

Ben is survived by Mary, his wife of 42 years; four children, Christine Kautz, Patti Oswalt, Melinda Ramsden, and Benjamin Oswalt; stepchildren Michael Meyer, Randy Meyer, and Holly Sparks; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Ben was a gentle, warm, and smiling friend for us all.

The Class of 1944



Jim died in Virginia May 15, 2004. An internist, he was described as a man who loved people and as a great listener.

Born in Wilmington, Del., Jim graduated from the Tower Hill School there. At Princeton he belonged to Charter Club and majored in chemistry.

He entered Johns Hopkins Medical School with more than a dozen Princeton classmates and received his medical degree in 1954. Jim served two years in the Navy, completed his residency in internal medicine at Yale University Hospital, and spent two years at Georgetown University Hospital as a fellow in cardiology.

A year as a research scientist for General Motors in Detroit convinced him that research was not his calling, and he preferred the East. So in 1962, he settled his family in Alexandria, Va., and opened an internal-medicine practice. Jim also served as president of Alexandria Hospital; medical director of Goodwin House, which provides care for senior citizens; and resident physician at Episcopal High School.

His love of the water and sailing led him to Deltaville, Va., where he retired.

To Mackall, Jim’s wife of 47 years; children Laura Broughton, James ’83, Lisa McLaughlin ’86, and their spouses; and five grandchildren, we extend our sympathy.

The Class of 1950



Jimmy died in Florida April 30, 2004.

A native of Florida and a graduate of Woodberry Forest School, Jimmy belonged to Cannon Club and majored in economics at Princeton. Though a licensed insurance agent as an undergraduate, he earned an MBA in insurance from the Wharton School.

A brief change in course took him to the Coast Guard Academy in 1951, where he was commissioned as an ensign and served aboard cutters for two years. Remaining in the Reserve, Jimmy was promoted to rear admiral in 1982.

In civilian life, he was associated with his father as a pension consultant for New England Life Insurance Co. throughout Florida, achieving membership in its Million-Dollar Round Table for many years.

Describing himself as a confirmed bachelor, Jimmy lived for many years in a rustic home in Seminole Beach, Fla., near Jackson-

ville. At one time he made annual visits to Spain as a bullfighting aficionado. He won a number of weightlifting trophies, bench-pressing over twice his 150-pound weight.

He was a member of the Sons of the Revolution, an honorary life member of Florida Yacht Club, and a Rotarian.

We share the loss of a loyal classmate with his sister, Flo Mason, and her family,

The Class of 1950



Don died April 20, 2004, in Miami of degenerative heart disease.

Born in Philadelphia, he came to us from Penn Charter. At Princeton he roomed with Bill Bardsley, Bob Finken, Dave Sykes, and Ed Woolley. He was a biology major, a member of Elm, and on the cabinet of the Westminster Fellowship. In 1953 he joined E.R. Squibb and began his career in pharmaceutical sales. By 1958 he had joined Geigy Pharmaceuticals, becoming its hospital representative for the state of Florida.

Upon his retirement in 1986 he turned full time to writing and photography. His articles appeared in Florida Sportsman and other outdoor magazines. A big-game angler, he caught all nine International Game Fish Association-listed billfish in a single year. He had many other interests, including antique-bottle and coin collecting, pre-Columbian art, Civil War history, orchids, and had a lifelong love of opera.

Don married Daphne Runken in 1957. She survives him together with their three children, Pam Vojtas, Gary Mann, and Kim Pogodzinski; his brother, Alan Mann; his sisters, Carol Douglas and Debbie Craciun; and seven grandchildren. Memorials may be sent to the IGFA, 300 Gulf Stream Way, Dania Beach, FL 33004.

The Class of 1951



Jerry, a Princeton native and prominent sailor who lived in Branford, Conn., died of heart failure July 6, 2004.

A graduate of South Kent School, he roomed with Lew Kleinhans, Gren Paynter, and George Thomas. He sang in the Glee Club and was elected to Charter Club. Jerry left school at the end of sophomore year and joined the Marine Corps, in which he served until 1954.

In 1952 he married Barbara Goerke, who predeceased him as did his son, Dudley. He was an officer with Fidelity Bank & Trust Co. in Stamford, Conn., before retiring.

Jerry’s son Jared S. and daughter-in-law Karen said Jerry loved sailing. He competed in more than 20 Vineyard races on his yachts Christiana and Rebel, a sleek 40-foot vessel. For many years he was chairman of the Stamford-Denmark Friendship Race, the biggest of its kind on Long Island Sound. Fittingly, his memorial service and a celebration of his life were held at Stamford Yacht Club, where he had been commodore.

Besides his son and daughter-in-law, Jerry is survived by his sister, Dawn, four grandchildren, and a great-grandson. Our warm wishes go to them. As Lew Kleinhans said, “Jerry had a big heart.”

The Class of 1953



Dick died June 19, 2004, at his Buffalo home.

Classmate John Butsch wrote: “The last few years were tough on him. … He was wheelchair-bound and wasn’t able to communicate well. He suffered from complications of diabetes, but was always upbeat and had his warm smile. … We will miss him as he had done a lot for our city.”

At Princeton, Tiger Inn was especially blessed by Dick’s good-natured humor. He played club hockey and softball, and majored in psychology, later earning graduate degrees from the University of Delaware and University of Buffalo.

Until retirement two years ago, he headed Buerk Tool and Machine Corp., founded in 1919 by his grandfather, Hans Buerk. A tireless fighter for small business, he served on the State University Advisory Board on Small Business Development Centers, on the Small-Business Council of the Old Buffalo Area Chamber of Commerce, and as a director of the Buffalo Area Leadership Group.

Also active in dealing with mental-health issues, Dick served as chairman of the Erie County [N.Y.] Mental Health Advisory Board.

The class extends sympathy to all Dick’s family: his wife, Caroline; his mother, Bernice; sister Linda Matt; six stepchildren; and nine grandchildren.

The Class of 1956



Bill died March 18, 2004, in Miami, with his family at his side.

Born in Bridgeport, Conn., he was a graduate of Deerfield Academy. He attended Princeton for a year before going on to Columbia. An avid sailor, flyer, and traveler, he sailed around the world on Irving Johnson’s brigantine, Yankee, during the two years prior to enrolling at Princeton.

In the Air Force, Bill served as a pilot in the Middle East. For 33 years he was a pilot and training captain with Pan American Airways. Recently, he was on one of the final Concorde flights that set a speed record. That was a long-time dream fulfilled.

Known as a caring, sensitive gentleman and wonderful storyteller, Bill also was a great lover of music and encouraged many young musicians at the University of Miami’s Frost School of Music.

Bill was predeceased by his wife, Andrea Townson. The class extends deep sympathy to his fiancée, Nancy Wilson; his sister, Holly; daughters Inslee Copeland and Kendra Camp; and to all their families, including Bill’s grandchildren Vaughn, Avery, and Robert Camp, and Charles and Jack William Copeland.

The Class of 1956



Dave died May 2, 2004, at his home on Kiawah Island, S.C., after a long battle with kidney cancer.

Born and raised in Baltimore, he was the son of the late Dr. Charles Mohr and Mary Caroline Lewin. A graduate of Baltimore’s Gilman School, he was an economics major at Princeton. He played touch football for Ivy Club, and won a letter in varsity lacrosse.

Dave studied medicine at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and after serving in Vietnam, he opened an ophthalmology practice in Baltimore. In the 1970s the practice was moved to Westminster, where he became the first full-time ophthalmologist in Carroll County, Md.

A sports enthusiast, he played golf, skied in Colorado, owned a sailboat, went white-water kayaking, and climbed the Matterhorn in Switzerland.

When illness forced him to retire in 1998, Dave moved to Kiawah, where he was active as a volunteer tutor to local children. He touched the lives of many people who were fortunate to know him.

The class extends heartfelt sympathy to Dave’s wife, Emily Boyd Mohr; their daughters, Jennifer Mohr Moon and Rebecca Mohr Boggan; three grandchildren; and a sister, Mary Caroline Mohr.

The Class of 1956



On July 20, 2004, John died peacefully at home in Lafayette, Calif., surrounded by his family.

At Princeton, he participated in various service organizations and intramural sports, representing Tower Club. Studying economics, he wrote his thesis on “Federal Aid to Education.”

Following Princeton, John turned toward banking and earned an MBA from the University of Chicago Graduate School of Finance. At the Bank of the Commonwealth in Detroit, he was elected president and CEO in 1970. Later, in California, he served as chairman and CEO of Security National Bank in Walnut Creek from 1974-80.

In 1980, he began teaching at Saint Mary’s College of California, where he was full-time professor and Transamerica Chair of Financial Services. There he created the Honors Concentration in Financial Services Program.

John was a founding director of the Regional Center for the Arts, a member of the San Francisco Symphony Foundation, and most recently, treasurer of the Lafayette United Methodist Church.

The class extends deep sympathy to his wife of 48 years, Virginia Ann Wead Thompson; children Janet Lynn, John Eric, Charles Wead, and Stephen Ross; and his grandchildren, Katy, Claire, and Eric.


The Class of 1956



From all over the country came news of Reggie’s tragic death on May 17, 2004.

A beloved history professor who had taught at the University of California at Berkeley for 40 years, Reggie was struck and killed by a delivery truck while making his way to an event near the center of campus.

At Princeton, Reggie earned numerals in freshman and junior varsity football, worked with WPRU, and was a member of Whig-Clio, the Hillel Foundation, and several foreign language clubs. His concentration was in French in the Special Program in European Civilization.

After serving in the Navy, he earned his master’s and doctorate from Stanford.

At Berkeley, Reggie specialized in Russian and Soviet history and wrote several books on the subject. A colleague, Yuri Slezkine, said, “He had a great deal of knowledge and he knew, like nobody else, how to pass it along. He produced countless students who are very devoted to him.”

Two years ago, in collaboration with New York University associate professor Robert Cohen, he co-edited a collection of essays, The Free Speech Movement: Reflections on Berkeley in the 1960s.

The class extends deepest sympathy to Reggie’s wife, Elaine, daughter Pamela, son Michael, and grandson Jaxson Zelnik Stuhr.


The Class of 1956



Tom died Aug. 9, 2003; he was 60. Born in Washington, D.C., he came to Princeton from Roosevelt High in Yonkers, N.Y. Tom was a member of Quadrangle Club, majored in history, chaired the Orange Key Guide Service, was a student manager of the U-Store, and worked on the Daily Princetonian.

After college he served in the Army as a first lieutenant, spending 13 months in Vietnam at Cam Ranh Bay. Tom then earned an MBA at Columbia and pursued banking as a career. An avid traveler and bon vivant, he made numerous overseas trips with his wife, Terry, and covered the lower 48 states with his whole family.

At the time of his retirement in 1999, Tom was a vice president and senior portfolio manager at Northern Trust Co. in Chicago.

He leaves Terry, his wife of 30 years, and their children Lauren, 25, and Douglas, 22, to whom the class extends its sympathy on the loss of this fine, steady man. We regret his premature passing and extend our condolences to his family on their loss.

The Class of 1965



John died June 8, 2004, of a heart attack in Chestertown, Md., where he and his wife, Cherilyn Widell, had recently moved from Menlo Park, Calif.

John was born on Staten Island and graduated from North Babylon High School on Long Island, where his intelligence and determination on the football field made up for his size and earned him a spot on the varsity squad. At Princeton he played 150-pound football, and lived in Wilson College. His ’72 roommates included Rick Richard, Brian Smith, Bob Putnam, and Al Rogers; other close ’72 friends included Cal Kendrick and Owen Curtis.

Graduating with an AB cum laude in statistics, John went on to earn a master’s at Rutgers. He built a career as an independent consultant in clinical biostatistics, based in Plainsboro, N.J., until his move to California in 1990. John lectured and consulted widely in the international medical-products industry, chaired association committees, and contributed frequently to professional journals and seminars.

Besides Cherilyn, John’s survivors include his mother, Alicia Quinn Kennedy Geye; sisters Anne Kennedy Haney and Jane Kennedy Stahl; cousin Andrew Lochart ’86; and numerous nieces and nephews. The class sends its sincere condolences to all.

The Class of 1972


Graduate Alumni



David W. Rubin, devotee of pianists and pianos, died May 6, 2003, in Manhattan at age 83. The cause was lung cancer.

A New Jersey native, David attended Rutgers and came to Princeton as a graduate student in music. Aspiring to a concert career, he worked instead as an agent for others, including the Juilliard String Quartet. In 1964 he joined Steinway & Sons, guiding world-renowned pianists in the selection of pianos. David retired as senior vice president of the company in 1986.

Survivors include David’s companion, Susan Zeckendorf, a daughter, and two grandchildren.



J. Beverley Oke, brilliant builder of astronomical instruments, died March 2, 2004, at his home in Victoria, British Columbia. He was 75. The cause was heart failure.

After attending the University of Toronto in the country of his birth, Bev came to Princeton for a PhD in astrophysical sciences. He taught at his alma mater for several years before joining Caltech, where he remained for 34 years. From 1970-78, Bev was also associate director of Caltech’s Hale Observatories.

Bev contributed greatly to his field by devising instruments, equipment, and analytical techniques that allowed astronomers to derive increasingly detailed information about stars and other heavenly bodies observed with the world’s largest telescopes. His work furnished data essential to astronomers’ growing knowledge of galaxies, white dwarfs, and quasars. He developed a way to estimate accurately the temperature of a star. He invented a method of analyzing telescopic images of distant starlight that enabled scientists to reason their way more than 10 billion years back in time to when the light originated. His experimental achievements pushed astronomical imagination to new heights.

Bev is survived by his wife, Nancy, two sons, and two daughters.



Paul Offner, an expert on health care, died of cancer April 20, 2004, in Washington, D.C. He was 61.

Born in Vermont and raised in Italy, Paul went to Amherst. At Princeton, he earned an MPA from the Woodrow Wilson School and a PhD in economics. After public service in Wisconsin and Ohio, he worked in Washington as legislative aide for Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan and then as DC commissioner of health care finance. Shortly after taking control of Medicaid for the city, Paul discovered that incompatible computer systems had failed to remove some 25,000 names from the welfare rolls, an error costing $34 million over a three-year period. Under his watch, from 1995-99, the program’s spending increases slowed significantly.

Known as an “intellectual whirlwind,” Paul wrote numerous journal articles as well as op-ed pieces on health care, welfare, and the inefficiencies of local government. In 1999, he became a research scholar at Georgetown University’s Institute for Health Care Research and Policy and then moved to the Urban Institute, where he focused on the labor market for young minority men.

Paul is survived by his wife, Molly, and his daughter, Mary.


HOWARD D. MacPHERSON *26, History, April 14, 2004

ALBERT M. HAYES *33, English, July 14, 2004

PHILLIP E. EVERETT *49, Aeronautical Engineering, Aug. 2, 2004

HAROLD L. SIMPSON *57, Modern Languages and Literature, March 11, 2004

ROBERT T. MASON *64, Religion, May 27, 2004

BRUCE J. MIKEL *70, Germanic Languages and Literatures, Aug. 26, 2003

WILLIAM J. SEEGERS *71, Linguistics, May 27, 2004

This issue has an undergraduate memorial for David A. Robertson ’36 *40.

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary