Have an opinion about this issue of PAW?

Please take a minute to click here and fill out our online questionnaire. It’s an easy way to let the editors know what you like and dislike, and how you think PAW might do better.

February 23, 2005: Memorials


John was born Jan. 4, 1904, in Englewood, N.J., and died Sept. 30, 2004. He was 100.

He joined our class in the midst of the fall semester of our freshman year, having been lured to Princeton from Lehigh University, and played football along with four brothers, one of whom was captain of the varsity team. He left Princeton during his freshman year.

After Princeton, John spent some years as an ordinary seaman on freight ships, as a fireman on the Pennsylvania Railroad, and as a wool-picker on the Philadelphia docks, eventually joining Hutchinson and Rivinus (an insurance firm), of which he became a partner in 1936 and, later, general partner.

Shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor, John volunteered for service in the OSS (Office of Strategic Services, the predecessor of the CIA) and, dispatched to England, distinguished himself by establishing and running training schools for spies to be dropped behind enemy lines. For this work, he received the Order of the British Empire and the French Croix de Guerre.

John is survived by one of his three adopted sons, Christopher, to whom the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1927



Jake died Dec. 3, 2004, in Baltimore.

He came to Princeton from the Calvert and Gilman schools, where he lettered in five varsity sports. At Princeton, Jake was on the football and lacrosse teams, and was named to the All-America Lacrosse Team in 1937. He majored in biology and was a member of Cap and Gown Club.

He earned his medical degree from Johns Hopkins in 1942, interned for a year at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore, and as a Navy lieutenant during WWII, served with the Marine Corps in the Pacific. On Iwo Jima he was the sole survivor of an attack on his aid station and was awarded two Purple Hearts and two Bronze Stars.

Postwar, he completed his surgical residency at Union Memorial and a fellowship at the Lahey Clinic in Boston, and thereafter practiced general vascular surgery in Baltimore. He also taught anatomy and surgery at Johns Hopkins and was chief of surgery at Union Memorial from 1964-72. All his life Jake contributed to the community in ways too numerous to mention.

Jake is survived by his wife of 46 years, Margaret; sons H. Ward, John B., and Taylor S. Classen; and four grandchildren. The class hereby records its great admiration and affection for its stalwart and distinguished patriarch.

The Class of 1938



Gus died of asthmatic bronchitis Dec. 18, 2004, at his longtime Baltimore home.

Before he was 18, Gus lived in nine different homes and apartments in the Baltimore area, among them Greenwood, a residence his father built that is now the headquarters of the Baltimore County Board of Education. He graduated from Princeton after attending the Calvert and Gilman schools.

During World War II he served as a captain in the Army Air Force, flying numerous supply missions from England to France. Because supply planes were unarmed then, he sometimes tried to shoot down German “buzz bombs” with a rifle or handgun.

Postwar he worked in commercial banking at the former Equitable Trust Co., and later opened up Deford & Co. in Baltimore, specializing in reprints of law books and genealogical works. A member of the Elkridge Club, Gus won its golf championship in 1948 and was runner-up five times in subsequent years. He also raised and showed Hungarian hunting dogs, known as Vizlas, and hunted waterfowl.

His wife, Margaret, predeceased him. He is survived by two sons, John E. Jr. and Cooper, a sister, and four grandchildren, to whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Cleve died Dec. 8, 2004, from a massive subdural hematoma suffered after a fall on ice. An artist to the end, he was working on pictures for a show this winter.

He prepared at Phillips Academy. At Princeton, he majored in art and archaeology, graduating with highest honors and election to Phi Beta Kappa. Cleve was art editor of the Nassau Lit and Free Atelier.

He served in the Army during World War II in Britain, France, and Germany, where he sketched scenes of wartime destruction. After the liberation of Paris, Cleve studied with noted French artists, exhibiting his work at Galerie Durand-Ruel in Paris.

Returning to New York in 1947, Cleve’s large-scale abstract compositions attracted critical recognition and resulted in one-man exhibitions at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Whitney, Guggenheim, and many other museums in the US and in Europe. He was editor of Art in America and was a well-known artist, writer, and lecturer.

In 1957, he married Francine Du Plessix, the noted novelist and essayist. She survives him as do their sons, Thaddeus and Luke, and four grandchildren. To them, his classmates extend deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Orm died from cancer at his home Dec. 14, 2004. His beloved wife of 57 years, Anne Phelps Stokes “Bunty” Ketcham, was at his side.

After Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School in Brooklyn, he followed his cousin, Jack Eadie ’36, to Princeton. He majored in history and graduated with honors. Orm was on the lacrosse team, the editorial staff of The Tiger, was manager of the Herald-Tribune sales agency, and a member of Quadrangle Club.

Orm earned a law degree from Yale Law School in 1947. He entered government service in the Foreign Operations Administration and the Department of Justice. In 1957 he became the judge of the DC Juvenile Court and, subsequently, of the DC Superior Court as well as an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown University.

During his long life of public service, he served two terms as moderator at Westmoreland Congregational United Church of Christ; vice chairman of the Chevy Chase Village Council; and belonged to the Chevy Chase and Cosmos clubs.

Survivors, in addition to Bunty, include four daughters, Ann Ketcham Felder, Ketch Ryan, Betsy Ketcham Mercogliano, and Susan Stokes Ketcham; two sons-in-law, Allie C. Felder III and Christopher Mercogliano; his life partner, Anne Casscells; and six grandchildren. To them, his classmates wish to extend their deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Fred died Nov. 4, 2004, in Atlanta.

After preparing at Bordentown [N.J.] Military Institute, he graduated from Princeton with honors in electrical engineering. While there, he was active in heavyweight sculling, was on the varsity crew, and was a member of Key and Seal.

Fred’s active duty in World War II from 1943-46 was in flight test engineering. He retired from the Naval Reserve in 1978 as a lieutenant commander.

His career in engineering was spent at Westinghouse, DeLaval Turbine, and at G.A. Gray as vice president of engineering. Upon retiring to Florida, he set up his own engineering consulting practice, C. Fred Koenig, until 1998. Over the years he authored a number of articles for technical journals covering a wide range of engineering knowledge.

His love for his wife of 55 years, Louella (known as “Dotty”), for his family, and for being on the water was manifested in retirement as well. He could be found most afternoons in his single shell on Seminole Lake or in high-performance sailboats.

Louella died in 1997. To Fred’s survivors, son John, daughter Jane, and grandson Joshua, his classmates extend sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940



John died Dec. 6, 2004, at Duncaster’s Caleb Hitchcock Health Center in Bloomfield, Conn.

He graduated from Torrington [Conn.] High School, where he was on the publications boards and active in dramatics. At Princeton, he majored in classics and graduated with honors. John was on the freshman crew, was lacrosse manager, and was a member of Key and Seal Club.

From 1940-41, he worked for Princeton University Press. During World War II, he served in the Army Corps of Engineers in Africa and Italy as a first lieutenant. He was recalled to active duty in 1951-52 during the Korean War at Fort Belvoir and Fort Leonard Wood.

The Meriden Gravure Co., printer of books and illustrations, was John’s professional home beginning in 1941; he became president in 1975. Among many community activities, John was president of the Bradley Home and Easter Seals of Central Connecticut, was a board member of the Boys’ Club, Curtis Memorial Library, and Meriden-Wallingford Hospital, and was a Rotarian. He also was a trustee of Princeton University Press.

To his wife of 56 years, Eleanor Mary Wolfenden; his daughter, Ann P. Barrentine; son and daughter-in-law, James W. and Nan P.; sister, Barbara P. Hayes; and his two grandchildren, his classmates express their sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940



Levi died Dec. 7, 2004, in Shelburne, Vt., after a year of failing health. Sybil, his wife of 53 years, said, “He died peacefully and with dignity and love.”

A graduate of Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass., he followed his brothers, Frederick ’37 and Robert ’39, to Princeton, where he majored in the humanities, attaining departmental honors. He was a member of Elm Club.

Levi pursued graduate studies in law, economics, and banking at Harvard Law School, and Wayne and Rutgers universities. From 1942-48 he served in the medical department of the Army Air Force as a technical sergeant. For eight years afterward, he was US vice consul in England, the Belgian Congo, and Ontario.

Levi became the last of a three-generation dynasty at the Burlington [Vt.] Savings Bank, retiring in 1981 after serving as senior vice president, chief economist, and corporate secretary.

He held offices in a remarkably long roster of local, national, and international banking associations and extracurricular organizations, culminating in receiving the US Treasury Department’s Award of Merit for Patriotic Service.

Levi is survived by his wife, Sybil Watts Smith; his sons, Levi III and John, and their families; his daughter, Barbara Smith Murphy; six grandchildren; and his brother, Robert ’39. To them, his classmates extend sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Brian died Nov. 5, 2004, in Toledo, Ohio.

He came to Princeton from Blair Academy. He majored in biology, graduating with honors. He roomed with Frank Nagel his first two years, and with Jim Angus and Bob Bross during his junior and senior years. He was a member of Key and Seal Club.

He joined the Army after Princeton, and attended Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating in September 1944, and served his residency at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. Brian was on the staff of Halloran Hospital when he was taken ill and spent almost three years in bed, before being discharged as a captain in November 1947.

An internist in the Toledo area for 45 years, Brian was chairman of the Department of Medicine at Toledo Hospital from 1968-85. He was also associate clinical professor of the Medical College of Ohio, president of the Northwest Ohio Heart Association, and state chairman of the Regional Medical Program.

Brian founded the Retired Physicians of the Toledo Academy of Medicine, and was a director of the Hospice of Northwest Ohio and the Samaritan Counseling Center.

Brian is survived by his wife of 62 years, Ethel Earle Bradford; his daughter, Pamela Volk; sons Dennis, Douglas, David, and Brian III; and seven grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Bill died Feb. 14, 2004, at the Quarryville [Pa.] Presbyterian Retirement Community.

A Lawrenceville School graduate, he majored in classics at Princeton, rowed on the freshman and varsity crew teams, was president of Princeton Evangelical Fellowship, and president of the Lutheran Club. He roomed with Don Cleaves and joined Gateway Club.

After graduation, Bill entered Faith Theological Seminary in Wilmington, Del., before beginning his ministry as a missionary in India. He later became general secretary of the World Presbyterian Missions, until 1967 when he assumed the pastorate of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Annapolis, Md. Under his guidance, the church grew from 60 members to 3,300, serving many Naval Academy personnel as well as townspeople.

An acute heart attack in 1979 somewhat limited his activities, but Bill continued as pastor until his retirement in 1991, when he and his wife, Sarah Ann, took on a second career supporting missionaries in Ecuador, Peru, and Chile, and later the Far East.

Bill is survived by his wife of almost 60 years, Sarah Ann Parks Mahlow; sons William Jr. and Joseph; daughters Sarah Taylor, Louise Larsen, Margaret Reith, and Elizabeth Meiners; 19 grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



The class lost Charles Oct. 21, 2004. He was 84.

A lifetime resident of Jobstown, N.J., he graduated from Princeton in 1943 and served in the Army during World War II.

Charles filled many roles in his stay on earth — artist, accountant, blackjack dealer, gardener, and wonderful friend to many. He was generous in sharing the fruits of his labor with family and friends.

He was active in the community, serving on the vestry at St. Andrew’s Church in Mount Holly, N.J., and on the school boards in Springfield Township and Northern Burlington County. He taught armchair exercises to senior citizens and worked with the blind.

Charles is survived by his sons, Lawrence, Harrison, and James; daughters Ninon, Emily, and Ellen Morse; his longtime loving companion, John McGowan; his former wife, Pauline Hutchinson; and nine grandchildren.

To the entire family, we offer shared sorrow at Charles’ passing.

The Class of 1943



Bob died Dec. 12, 2004, at his Ross Township [Pa.] home. He was 83.

He graduated from Princeton in 1943, and served as a naval aviator during World War II. The University of Pittsburgh School of Law served as Bob’s second alma mater. He went on to be an esteemed member of the Pittsburgh legal community for 57 years.

While at Princeton, Bob was a member of Tiger Inn. He was also a longtime member of the Oakmont [Pa.] Country Club.

Robert McCartney ’56, a close friend of Bob’s, said: “He was a respected lawyer, a solid Princetonian, and an all-around nice guy. In the fall of 1951, he recruited me for Princeton, for which I remain eternally grateful.”

Bob is survived by his wife, the former Frances Baker; two daughters, Barbara Schaaf and Katherine Margaret Donovan; three sons, John, Dan, and Robert David; and a brother, the Rev. John L. Smiley.

To the entire family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



Sayre died Aug. 8, 2004, of complications related to Parkinson’s disease. He was 82.

Born in Pittsburgh, he prepared at Shady Side and Andover academies. At Princeton, his activities presaged his career and avocations. He majored in chemical engineering, was photo editor of the Bric-a-Brac; feature editor of the Princeton Picture Service, and a member of the Outing Club, Camera Club, and Key and Seal. He roomed with Jack Tuttle. After graduation, Sayre and a friend successfully started a business of developing innovative lubricating oils for aluminum rolling mills. This led him to industrial respect, awards and eventual retirement.

He loved adventure and the outdoors, a passion shared with his wife, Jean. They pioneered whitewater rafting in the East, making the first such descents of the Youghiogheny, Gauley, and Cheat rivers. Sayre also enjoyed rock climbing, mountaineering, backpacking, and canoeing, and was an accomplished photographer with a homemade, gadget-filled darkroom. His climbs included the Himalayas. He was a member and activist of the American Alpine Club, Pittsburgh Climber Club, and the Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia Highlands conservancies.

Sayre is survived by Jean; daughters Ann ’81 and Elizabeth; two grandchildren, Benjamin and Isabel; and a close family friend from Pyne Hall years, Dr. Garth K. Graham ’45. We send our condolences to all.

The Class of 1944



Ray died Jan. 18, 2004, at the Sugar Hill Retirement Community in Wolfboro, N.H., where he lived the last years of his life.

Ray prepared for Princeton at Bogota [N.J.] High School. At Princeton, he joined Terrace Club but his education was interrupted by service as a naval officer with a torpedo boat squadron with the 7th Fleet. he saw combat in the Philippines and was in Japan for the surrender.

Returning to Princeton, Ray received a degree in mechanical engineering in 1947 and joined the Rawlplug Co. in New York City. However, he spent most of his business career with Lockheed, finally retiring from that company in 1982. During his years with Lockheed, Ray had interesting assignments in England and in Saudi Arabia. The latter assignment led to a long-held interest in the Middle East. Ray immersed himself in the culture, history, and religion of that region, as did his son, Garry. Ironically, Garry was killed in the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in 2001.

In 1950, Ray married Patricia Malugani, who predeceased him in 1979. He is survived by two daughters, Christie Heilmann and Ann Rohrborn, five grandchildren, and a sister. The class expresses its sympathy to all.

The Class of 1945



Carlton McKenney, known to his classmates as “Speed,” died April 1, 2004.

Carlton entered Princeton from Woodberry Forest, followed two years later by his brother, Malcolm ’47. He joined Campus Club and rowed on the 150-pound varsity crew. His interest in sailing led him to organize and lead the Princeton Yacht Club. Accelerating his studies, Carlton received a degree in electrical engineering in 1944 and then served as a naval aviation officer until the conclusion of World War II.

In 1946 he married Anne Hayes, and joined Virginia Electric Power Co. in Richmond. Carlton and Anne were devoted to sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, to restoring and riding antique railroad equipment as members of the National Railway Historical Society, and to flying. Carlton’s interest in railroads resulted in publication of his book Rails in Richmond.

In addition to Anne, Carlton is survived by five children, Elizabeth ’84 *89, Alan ’75, Bruce ’77, Carlton Jr., and Frank; and by seven grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Stu died Nov. 10, 2004, in Louisville, Ky.

Born in Honolulu, he was a graduate of Woodrow Wilson High School in Washington, D.C. After serving as an infantry rifleman in France, Stu received a medical discharge in 1945 and came to Princeton where he joined Charter Club and graduated with a degree in architecture.

He and Cynthia Cole were married in 1949. They moved to Louisville where he was employed by US Steel Homes, and later by Bechtel until 1984. He was in private architectural practice until retiring in 1992.

Stu had a longtime interest in St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church in Louisville and served on its vestry. He was a gifted painter and sketcher as well as an avid tennis player.

Stu was preceded in death by his son, Stuart Bruce Smith, in 2001. Our condolences are with Cynthia, his wife of 54 years; his daughter, Leslie; and grandchildren, Chelsea and Sarah. Stu’s loyalty to Princeton never flagged.

The Class of 1948



Murray died Dec. 13, 2003. He was 74.

He prepared at California Prep and followed his father and both grandfathers to Princeton, where he majored in history. He was a member of Campus Club.

Murray spent a year in graduate school at UCLA, but then opted to become a fighter pilot in the Air Force. He was retired for disability as a result of an auto accident in 1962. At that time he met and married Dianne Vandenburg. They moved to Berkeley, Calif., where Murray attended law school. He then spent the next 22 years as a deputy district attorney in the Alameda County district attorney’s office.

After his second retirement Murray indulged his passion for sports, especially mountain climbing, by scaling Mount Kilimanjaro, and by enjoying his children and grandchildren fully.

Murray’s beloved Dianne died in 1990. He is survived by his children, Katherine Richardson, Murray IV, and Michael, and three grandchildren. The class and Brush’s many friends extend their sincere sympathy to the family on the loss of this kindly man.

The Class of 1949



Louis died Sept. 8, 2004. He was 76.

Louis prepared for Princeton at Jefferson High School in Lafayette, Ind. At Princeton he majored in English and graduated with highest honors. He won the Class of 1859 Prize and the Class of 1873 fellowship in English literature. He participated in Theatre Intime. Before completing his Ph.D. in English, he spent two years in England as a Fulbright Scholar.

After graduate work Louis taught for several years at American universities and then accepted a position at Queen’s University in Belfast, Ireland, where he became one of the leading Yeats scholars in the world. He remained there until his death. He was the author of one of the definitive texts on old Irish poetry.

Louis is survived by his wife, Betsy; three sons, Colum, Malacky, and Thomas; and two daughters, Genevieve ’75, and Philomena ’77. To them, the class extends its deepest sympathy on their loss of this brilliant man.

The Class of 1949



Bob died July 29, 1997, in Tallahassee, Fla. He was 73.

He prepared at Phillips Exeter Academy and, before entering Princeton, served three years in the Army’s European theater of operations reaching the rank of corporal. At Princeton he played varsity baseball and football, and was a member of Ivy Club.

From what is known, Bob spent his early years after leaving Princeton as a salesman with Quaker Oats Co. He then moved to Florida where he joined the American Woods Product Co. as a vice president. By 1989 the company was known as Consolidated Forest Products, and Bob was general manager.

It is not known if Bob is survived by his wife, Marjorie, but they had a daughter, Sara, and three sons, Robert, William, and David. The class extends its condolences to them.

The Class of 1949



Bert died from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, Sept. 6, 2004, in Los Gatos, Calif. He was a strong advocate of nuclear power and recognized by his peers as a brilliant physicist.

A graduate of Bronx High School of Science, he entered Princeton following Navy service. Bert was a member of Key and Seal. He majored in physics, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and received the Kusaka Prize in physics. As a student, Bert sent his impression of Albert Einstein to his parents, and in 2000, it appeared in Time magazine.

After earning his doctorate in nuclear physics at Cornell, he joined General Electric’s new atomic power department, which ultimately moved to San Jose. Following his retirement in 1992 as vice president and general manager of GE’s Nuclear Energy Department, he served on several industry and university academic boards.

Awarded numerous industrial honors, he was president of the American Nuclear Society and a National Academy of Engineering fellow. An avid tennis player at Princeton and afterward, he gave up the game as his disease progressed but persisted in playing golf almost to the end of his life. He enjoyed his friendships and spending time with his family.

We extend condolences to Lee, Bert’s wife of 54 years; his children, Sarah, Donald, and William; and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1950



Edward died from emphysema Oct. 19, 2004.

Born in Pittsburgh, he graduated from Shadyside Academy. At Princeton, he was an economics major, and a member of the cross-country team and of Campus Club, where he served as social committee chairman. He served two years in the Army in Stuttgart, Germany, then earned a master’s in business administration from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He joined the Mellon Bank Trust Department in Pittsburgh and retired from there as a vice president.

Edward was a patron of the Pittsburgh Opera, ballet, and symphony orchestra.

The class extends its sympathy to his wife, Annie, and his brother, W. Arch Irvin.

The Class of 1954



Dave died Oct. 15, 2004, at Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis, Mass., after a brief illness.

Born in Glens Falls, N.Y., Dave grew up in Potsdam, N.Y., and came to Princeton from Potsdam Central School. At Princeton he majored in architecture, took his meals at Key and Seal, and was a member of the Glee Club and Army ROTC. He roomed with Contee Seely, Russ Tremaine, Bill Rough, Dick Webster, Bill Buxton, Hal Lackey, and Chuck Watson. After receiving a master’s in architecture at Berkeley, he earned a master’s degree in planning from George Washington University.

Dave served in the Army in Korea, then embarked on a career in city planning that took him to Peoria, Ill., Washington, D.C., and finally Cape Cod, where he lived in Harwich and worked for the town of Barnstable as principal planner. Dave was involved in many civic and charitable activities on the Cape and remained active in the Army Reserve, retiring as a lieutenant colonel.

Married only briefly in his 20s, Dave is survived by brothers Andy and Tom, an aunt, and his nephews, nieces, and cousins. With them, we mourn Dave’s passing.

The Class of 1961



Jerry died October 18, 2003, in Brazil after a two-year struggle with Lou Gehrig’s disease, also known as ALS.

A native Floridian, Jerry attended Seacrest High School in Delray Beach, where he was a football star and the best high school pitcher in South Florida. He went on to play football and baseball at Princeton while majoring in English and joining Ivy Club.

After graduation he studied at San Francisco State University and had a very successful career as a student of organizational behavior and a nationally known communications consultant. His book, The Magic of Rapport, is recognized as the first book to take the practice of neuro-linguistic programming and make it accessible to the business world.

Jerry was passionate about travel, sports, poetry, learning, family, and friends. He had a lifelong love of golf, scuba diving, and mountain biking, and cherished the many lasting friendships he made throughout his life. Several classmates and friends wrote that he displayed extraordinary courage as he coped with a disease he knew he could not defeat. If the best measure of a person’s character is the strength and faith in life brought to bear in the face of certain death, then Jerry’s life was completed triumphantly.

Jerry is survived by his wife, Lynn Lannon; his mother, Madelyn Richardson; and several cousins. To them, we extend gratitude for his life and deepest condolences.

The Class of 1964



Terry died at his Danville, Calif., home June 17, 2004, surrounded by his family. He displayed faith in God as he courageously dealt with a rapid transition from being very fit to being terminally ill with pancreatic cancer. A man of extraordinary character and integrity, Terry’s remarkable wit, laughter, and interest in others will continue to bring smiles and warmth to friends and family.

Terry matriculated from Kent [Conn.] School. He was a member of the Tigertones, the Princeton Evangelical Fellowship, Trenton Tutorial, and Cottage Club. He roomed with Ted Weiss, Steve Brown, Todd Evans, Jack Morin, Allan Furniss, Sam Magruder, Jim Daniel, Charlie McMillan, John Brinkerhoff, and Fred Hickok, who were awed by his ability, “pre-P.C.,” to think through a paper and then type a final draft. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude in history.

In 1970, Terry earned a law degree from Berkeley. After a federal district court clerkship, and serving in the county counsel’s office in Santa Cruz, he became senior vice president and division president at Western Staff Services. In 1999, he became a vice president at PhilanthroCorp.

Although he received many awards, a successful life for Terry was not defined by accolades; rather, he found purpose through faith in God. He will continue to be loved and cherished by wife Kaaren, sons Scott and Brian, daughter-in-law Kerri, brother Tad, and the Iverson family.

The Class of 1967



Carl died July 12, 2004, after a brief illness. He was 76 and had attended our 55th reunion last spring.

Carl prepared for Princeton at South Side High School in Rockville Centre, N.Y. He served in the Marine Corps at the end of World War II. At Princeton he majored in the Woodrow Wilson School and graduated with honors in 1951. He served as vice president of Cloister Inn. He received a law degree from Columbia in 1955.

Carl spent his working life practicing law with firms in New York and in his own practice in Aspen, Colo. He was a member of the American Arbitration Association and Phi Delta Phi. He maintained a wide range of intellectual interests, both scientific and political, and was a proponent of oxygen-hydrogen energy systems as far back as 1964.

Carl had no family or next of kin. His classmates wish him peace.

The Class of 1949


Tony died July 15, 1992, of lung cancer while living in London. He was 49.

A native Californian, Tony attended University High School in Los Angeles before coming to Princeton. Majoring in art and archaeology, he also found time to be on the golf team. He went on to earn a master’s in art history at Harvard and moved to Florence, then to London where he lived the rest of his life.

A distinguished international art dealer and a respected art historian, he taught art history for several years at England’s Beaver College and established himself during the 1980s as one of London’s leading specialists in European sculpture. His many discoveries included masterpieces by artists as varied as Andrea del Verrocchio and Gianlorenzo Bernini. He was the recipient in 1991 of the first Leonard D’oro prize for his discovery of a previously unknown terra cotta model of The Executioner by del Verrocchio, the teacher of Leonardo da Vinci.

Tony married Priscilla Brandschaft, a psychoanalyst at London’s Tavistock Clinic, in 1969 and they had two sons, Gabe and Zack. Laid back, immensely charming, and with a wonderful sense of humor, there were few art dealers and art historians in London with whom it was more fun to spend time.

To Priscilla and her sons, we extend deepest condolences.

The Class of 1964

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary