April 6, 2005: Memorials


Harold died Nov. 13, 2002, at his home outside Washington, D.C.

His Princeton years, he said, were some of the happiest in his life. But they and the year he spent getting a master’s from Columbia’s journalism school in 1936 scarcely prepared him for the career that followed. First came three years at the Washington bureau of Pathfinder, a weekly news magazine. Then he was recruited to monitor radio broadcasts from Japan and Europe, followed by a job for the Office of Strategic Services, which posted him to Ceylon, India, and Thailand to conduct covert operations against Japan.

Post-World War II, Harold tried the news business again. But then came a call from the World Bank, and he spent the next 25 years there in jobs ranging from public relations director to executive secretary for international agricultural research. The latter involved organizing foundations, governments, and financial institutions to improve crop development and farming in poor tropical and subtropical nations.

After retiring from the World Bank in 1975, he consulted for the Ford and Rockefeller foundations, and for the Cholera Research Centre of Bangladesh. Only in 1981 was he able to concentrate on less cosmic problems, such as his badly neglected golf game.

Survivors include Judy, his wife of 65 years, and their sons, Stephen, Thomas, and Michael Graves.

The Class of 1935


A former class president who personified all that’s special about the Class of 1935, Greg died Aug. 16, 2002.

He was the son of J.A. Gregory 1897, and almost from the day he arrived on campus Greg was a presence. He majored in politics and his extracurricular interests were endless. Cane Spree, wrestling, football, University Orchestra, Triangle Club, prom committee, and Cap and Gown Club were only some of the activities that caught his eye, but all were buoyed by his enthusiastic, upbeat personality.

After graduation Greg earned a law degree at the University of Michigan and spent four years as an Army officer, serving in the South Pacific and Korea. Thereafter he practiced law in New York City and in his ancestral hometown of Wilton, Conn.

Princeton and ’35 were never far from Greg’s heart and mind. He served as class Annual Giving chairman from 1947-50 and as class vice president from 1950-55. Even after his term as president ended in 1960, he came back at every chance to greet classmates and lead cheers for Old Nassau.

Wilton, and Fairfield County, Conn., profited in countless ways from Greg’s interest and care. Classmates say ’35 would never have been the same without Greg’s spirit and vitality.

His wife, Margaret Porter Gregory, and their son, Julian Arthur Gregory, survive.

The Class of 1935


Paschal died Feb. 9, 2003, in Mountain Brook, Ala., not far from his birthplace of Birmingham.

He prepared for Princeton at the Birmingham University School, where he was on the basketball team and a member of the dramatics club. At Princeton he majored in history, began boxing, joined the editorial staff of the Daily Princetonian, and with his roommate, G.E.K. Smith, joined Cloister Inn. His next stop was Yale Law School, where he graduated in 1938, and then, like many classmates, was claimed by the Army.

Paschal’s years in the military were spent in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps and working in counterintelligence. He never discussed the latter except to say he was astonished by the number of Princetonians he encountered. After World War II ended he headed back to Alabama, where he spent his civilian career at Shook & Fletcher Supply Co., the ore mining and industrial-supply firm run by his father during Paschal’s Princeton years.

By the 50th reunion, Paschal, too, was a retired Shook & Fletcher president. He was involved in many Birmingham organizations including the Jefferson Tuberculosis Sanitorium and metropolitan YMCA.

Paschal’s first wife, Henrietta Ryding, predeceased him. He is survived by their children, Paschal G. III, Eva, and Cynthia; three grandchildren; his second wife, Mildred Lanier Shook; stepchildren; and step-grandchildren.

The Class of 1935


Bob died in Gloucester, Mass., Aug. 13, 2004, after a 55-year struggle with diabetes. He was 89.

Bob majored in art and archaeology, graduating with high honors, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He was the designer of our beer-suit insignia. He next earned a master’s in fine arts with highest honors from Columbia University.

Bob was a distinguished lecturer and full professor of art and art history at Douglass College, Rutgers University. He also designed the Douglass College seal. His watercolors and acrylics were exhibited widely on the East Coast and won many prizes. He spent summers at Cape Ann, Mass., in the Rocky Neck Art Colony with his artist father, G.A. He served as president of the Cape Ann Modern Art Association.

An accomplished flutist, Bob played with the Trenton and Cape Ann symphonies and with the University Orchestra while a student.

Bob is survived by his beloved wife of 63 years, Jean; sons R. Bruce and George D.; daughter Wendy Bradshaw; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

His ashes were distributed in Gloucester harbor while his sailboat sailed around, Bach flute music played, and the family was in accompanying boats. Memorial contributions may be made to the Cape Ann Symphony.

We send our sympathies on the loss of this gifted classmate.

The Class of 1937


Bill died June 16, 2004, in St. David’s, Pa. He was 89.

He prepared at Choate School. At Princeton he majored in politics and was a member of the Glee Club and Terrace Club. Bill left during our junior year to work in a brokerage firm. He served with the Army during World War II, stationed in England and France. In 1951 he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business.

In our 50th yearbook Bill wrote, “Most of my working life was spent in the stock and bond investment banking and brokerage fields.” He listed hobbies as “music and sports, mainly tennis and golf. Tennis is easy — but golf, that’s hard work!”

He is survived by his wife, Mary Samuelian; a stepson, Karney; a stepdaughter-in-law, Barbara; three step-grandchildren; three daughters from a previous marriage, Nancy Patton, Mary Baker, and Ginny Law; and five grandchildren.

The class extends profound condolences.

The Class of 1937


Pat died Feb. 7, 2005, at Morris Hall in Lawrenceville, N.J.

He prepared at Trenton Central High School, then followed his late brothers, Frank ’36 and Louis ’39, to Princeton. At Princeton he majored in economics, roomed with Charlie Kuehner, was a member of the Catholic Club, and was co-manager of the Student Refreshment Agency. During World War II, he served with the Army Medical Corps in the North African and Italian campaigns. After the war, Pat attended graduate school at Temple University, earning a master’s in accounting and finance.

Pat was employed by the State of New Jersey, holding various supervisory positions as business manager, bureau chief, and administrator in what is now human services, until his retirement in 1979.

Pat was single. He is survived by his brother, Robert ’45; sister-in-law, Bebe Petito; 14 nieces and nephews, including Frank Jr. ’63 and Robert Jr. ’72; and grandnephews Frank III ’90 and Deven ’07.

The Class of 1940


On Jan. 18, 2005, we lost Ben, one of the most popular men in our class.

Born in Rochester, N.Y., he attended the Aquinas Institute. Ben majored in modern languages at Princeton and graduated with high honors. He played freshman and JV football and rugby. He was secretary of the Triangle Club, where he starred with Barney Ross; was program director of Princeton Summer Camp; and joined Charter. His roommates were Ross, Kennedy, Green, Barton, and Cawley ’42.

After graduation, Ben went to the University of Rochester Medical School before serving in the Navy for two years with stints in the Orient, Europe, and South America. Returning to Rochester, Ben became involved in medical research in atomic energy. This led to a distinguished career at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, the London School of Hygiene, Georgetown Medical School, and Seton Hall Medical School, culminating with 24 years as a professor at Tufts Medical School. Ben maintained his involvement in the theater, as did his wife. He also was an oblate at Glastonbury Abbey and a volunteer at Pine Street Inn in Boston.

Ben is survived by his wife of more than 52 years, Alice Boyle Duffy; two daughters, Katherine and Clare Lewis Duffy; son Benedict III; and three grandchildren. We have lost a remarkable man!

The Class of 1941


Hank, an architect, artist, and innovative cartoonist, died peacefully Jan. 23, 2005, at home in Albuquerque, N.M.

Brother of Charles ’38 and Caldwell ’50, Hank prepared at Deerfield Academy. At Princeton he earned honors in architecture, was a member of Triangle and Charter clubs, excelled in lacrosse, and was editor of the Tiger. Hank designed our appealing and ubiquitous class mascot, Tat the Tiger, who appears in nearly all of our communications.

During three years in the Army Air Force in World War II, Lt. Toll performed with distinction in New Guinea and the Philippines, earning the Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross. In 1943 he married Edith “Edie” Beyer, a “fascinating wife” who blessed him with Katherine, McClain, Madelon, and Cyrus. Edie died last year.

Hank’s architectural career included 11 years in Denver as Henry C. Toll, Architect until 1965, when he moved to Albuquerque with the Bureau of Indian Affairs to build health facilities for Indian reservations. He retired in 1982.

His interests included reading, archaeology, and introducing lacrosse to Denver and Albuquerque high schools and colleges. He painted and left a large collection of studies of ceremonial dances from various New Mexico and Arizona tribes.

To Hank’s children and their families, the class extends its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942


Ted died of a heart attack Jan. 12, 2005, at home in Flemington, N.J. He was 84.

He prepared at Asbury Park [N.J.] High School and at Princeton majored in chemical engineering and graduated with honors. He was on the staff of the Princeton Engineer and a member of Gateway Club. Ted earned a master’s at Cornell before engaging in chemical-plant design and construction with M.W. Kellogg Co. in New York City during and after World War II.

By midcareer Ted’s abilities and engaging personality had earned the deep respect of his peers and a loving wife. Ted served as president of the Monmouth County [N.J.] Chapter of the American Chemical Society and in 1960 married Mary Blanton. They had Debra and Pamela.

For 41 years Ted contributed innovative engineering and project-management skills to four major engineering companies. After Kellogg, he worked for Foster Wheeler, Chemical Construction Co., and ABB Lummus, from which he retired in 1985 as staff engineer. He then began private consulting.

Ted and Mary were ardent gardeners and worldwide travelers. He also enjoyed sailing.

Ted loved Princeton. He and his family enjoyed our reunions and we classmates loved their company. To Mary, Debra, and Pamela, the class expresses its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942


Dave died May 3, 2003.

Immobilized since 1986 when he suffered a catastrophic accident playing polo, and with additional health complications including the inability to speak at the time of our BOH, Dave battled his reverses with steady courage.

Before his accident his life was extraordinarily active and wide-ranging. Born and reared in New York City, Dave entered Princeton from Columbia Grammar School, becoming an English major and a member of Dial Lodge. After earning a master’s from Cornell’s hotel management school he combined successful involvement in his family’s hotel and real-estate business, and in various arts and polo.

By our 10th reunion his love of ballet and flamenco dancing led him to form a small company of Spanish dancers, Danzas Ibericas, which toured Spain and France. His love of theater and film led him to produce an acclaimed off-Broadway show, Royal Gambit, as well as a London play, and a spectacle film based on Pizarro’s conquest of the Incas. His love of polo took him to England, France, and Peru as a member of American teams.

Dave is survived by his beloved wife, Leela, who represented India as a sprinter in the 1956 Olympics; and by their three children, Ananda, Rehana, and Ari. To them, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1952


Following a year of failing health, George died in his sleep Sept. 20, 2004, at University Park Nursing Home in Fort Wayne, Ind.

His memorial service in First Presbyterian Church reflected major interests in his life: a string quartet, four choral groups, music from J.S. Bach to John Rutter, plus a who’s who of civic and interfaith leaders. Classmates will remember George’s moving prayer offered at our 50th-reunion service.

When George entered Princeton Theological Seminary, he considered the Navy chaplaincy as a career. In 1955, however, the need for chaplains had decreased, so he began a distinguished 40-year career in the pastoral ministry, serving Presbyterian congregations in three states. His love of music at Princeton — in the concert and marching bands and in Triangle Club — found expression in his life with Doris, his wife of 46 years. Together, they achieved a high level of competence with the recorder, exploring Renaissance and Baroque literature.

George also researched and published two books and many articles on the origins of church life in Fort Wayne and Allen County. George is survived by his beloved wife, Doris, his children, Catherine and Geoffrey, and four grandchildren. The class offers them deepest condolences.

The Class of 1952


Denny died in his sleep Nov. 27, 2004, in the New York apartment he shared with his devoted wife, Virginia Hackett Burns.

Denny came to Princeton from Choate. Freshman and sophomore years he roomed with Hal Smith, Pete Home, and Ted Mack. He majored in English literature, joined Quadrangle, and lived in Blair his final two years with Jim Park, Ted Mack, Alan Willemsen, Jon Olson, John Hamilton, Tom Boyatt, Dick Evans, and Dave White.

He was a navigator in the Air Force and served with Alan Willemsen, John Lancaster, Ron Scott, and Jack Dufford. Following Harvard Business School and a stint with Del Webb Corp. in Phoenix, Denis moved back east for a successful marketing career with General Foods, Citibank, and Chase Manhattan. He and his first wife, Patia, lived in White Plains, N.Y., and raised two sons.

Denny’s great joys in life were his family, his lifelong Princeton friends, and the New York Giants. He had an incomparable sense of humor and a limitless reservoir of funny stories. He was looking forward to our 50th.

To Virginia; his sons, Ward and Hugh ’88; daughter-in-law Molly; and his sisters, nieces, and nephews, the class offers sincere condolences for the loss of a great friend and loyal Princetonian.

The Class of 1955


Bill died Dec. 11, 2004, in Florida with his daughters at his side.

A native of New York City and graduate of New Rochelle High School, Bill majored in aerospace engineering and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. After receiving his doctorate in 1964 from California Institute of Technology, Bill was named a Guggenheim fellow.

Upon completion of his fellowship, Bill began a wide-ranging career in academia that included faculty positions at the University of Southern California and the University of California at San Diego. He published numerous journal articles on laminar flows. He also enjoyed teaching introductory math classes and was tremendously proud of those students who were able to overcome their math phobias.

Though he lived at various times on both the coasts, Bill remained a faithful fan of the Los Angeles Lakers and the New York Yankees. His tremendous command of sports trivia was well known.

The class extends its sympathy to his sister, Carol Richter; former wife, Patricia Bush; and his children Ruth Bush ’90, Sara Turner ’94, and their spouses.

The Class of 1955


Don died peacefully May 25, 2004, at his home in Pittsburgh.

He was born and raised in Toledo where he attended DeVilbiss High School. At Princeton, he entered the Woodrow Wilson School where he excelled, graduating magna cum laude. He was a member of Tower Club. Don served with the Army in Japan from 1956-57. He graduated from Harvard Law School in 1960 and joined Reed, Smith, Shaw & McClay in Pittsburgh.

Don became a nationally recognized trust and estates attorney, and a fellow in the American College of Probate Counsel. He was a superb lawyer. His greatest accomplishments were being elected managing partner for nine years and receiving the Shaw Lion, the firm’s highest honor.

Don was active in numerous civic and charitable organizations and enjoyed working with First Lutheran Church. He was a loyal Princetonian, attending Reunions and serving as president of the Alumni Association of Western Pennsylvania.

Don married his beloved wife, Betty, in 1959. She died in 1982. He is survived by his daughter, Lisa Haskell; sons Greg ’84 and Jeff ’90; eight grandchildren; a brother, James; and a sister, Judith. To this wonderful family, the class extends its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1955


Stockton died of cancer Dec. 27, 2003, at his home in The Villages, Fla.

Stockton was reared in Glendale, Ohio, and graduated from the Lawrenceville School, where he was involved with publications and the Glee Club, interests that he continued at Princeton. He joined Charter Club and pursued the Special Program in International Affairs at the Woodrow Wilson School. His roommates included John Morton and the late Russell Stearns.

Stockton graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law and returned to Glendale, where he lived until moving to Florida two years ago. He served as solicitor of Glendale from 1976-92. He was also a municipal-bond attorney and a partner with Peck, Schaffer, and Williams in Cincinnati until retiring in 1990.

He is survived by Royce Lake Lehmann, his wife of 43 years, and several nieces and nephews. To them, we extend our deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1955

Graduate Alumni


Norman F. Cantor, 74, a prominent historian of the Middle Ages, died Sept. 18, 2004, in Miami. The cause was heart failure.

A master of fluent, graceful prose, Norman’s books included The Civilization of the Middle Ages, continuously in print since 1963. Other studies focused on Jewish history, the Black Death, and the invention of the Middle Ages as it is conceived today by modern historians. Among these, he cited J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, whose visions of medieval moral order served as a beacon during the dark days of World War II.

Born in Winnipeg, Canada, Norman graduated from the University of Manitoba in 1951. He then came to Princeton to earn a master’s in history. After a year at Oxford as a Rhodes scholar, he returned to Princeton to earn a Ph.D. Over the course of his career, he taught at Columbia, Brandeis, SUNY Binghamton, and the University of Chicago. He served as dean of the faculty of the College of Arts and Science at NYU from 1978-81, retiring as professor emeritus in 1999.

Norman is survived by his wife, Mindy; his daughter, Judy; his son, Howard; and a grandson.

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary