Have an opinion about this issue of PAW? Please take a minute to click here and fill out our online survey.

It’s an easy way to let the editors know what you like and dislike, and how you think PAW might do better. (All responses will be anonymous.)

July 6, 2005: Memorials


George died March 20, 2005, in Kenmore, Wash., after a brief illness. He was 95.

At Princeton, George won the William Marshall Bullit Prize in Mathematics and was a member of the University Orchestra and University Band. After Princeton he became an actuary serving in various government agencies including the Internal Revenue Service and the Social Security Administra-tion. After World War II, when he was active with the Coast Guard, he worked for a life insurance company in Baltimore. In the 1970s he used his actuarial skills to become a demo-

grapher studying population growth for Johns Hopkins University, the US government, and the UN in many locations around the world.

While with the UN, he and his wife, the former Jean Moulton, whom he had married in 1939, lived in India and Sri Lanka for 11 years. After retiring, George and Jean moved to Kenmore, where he became a consultant for the demography department at the University of Washington. In recent years, he was involved in tutoring mathematics to the children of Kenmore Elementary School, where he became a much-loved figure.

Jean died in 2003. George is survived by three sons, George Jr., Donald, and John (his youngest son, Richard, died in 1968); five grandsons; and one great-grandson.

The Class of 1930



John died April 19, 2005, in Wilton, Conn., after a short illness.

Born in New York City, John came to Princeton from Rye, N.Y. He prepared at St. Paul’s School, where he was a member of the literary society and the scientific society, and also served as sixth-form supervisor. At Princeton, John was a member of the varsity hockey team and rowed on the 150-pound crew, also serving as chairman of the Princeton Photographic Board.

After graduation, John earned his medical degree at Columbia. He served in numerous hospitals, from Sloan-Kettering to the Tata Cancer Hospital in Mumbia, India (from 1939-42). Back in the US he served as president of the New York Academy of Medicine in 1968 and 1969, and was awarded the president’s medal by the James Ewing Society in 1960.

John’s service to Wilton and Norwalk, Conn., continued after his retirement. He maintained his interest in ethics, appearing before Wilton’s ethics committee and working on behalf of patients’ interests as a member of Norwalk Hospital’s Ethics Committee.

John had accepted the office of class vice president just a few weeks before his death. He will be greatly missed by all. His sons, Christopher and Martin; his daughter, Julia Ward; and their extended families survive him. To them, the class extends sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1930



Peter died Oct. 26, 2004, peacefully at home.

He prepared at Kent School and graduated from Princeton in 1932. Freshman year he roomed with Doug Hall, and in his last three years he roomed with Tom Palmer and Bill Barber. Peter was a member of Ivy Club.

In 1932-33 he joined with Amos Eno and Professor Francis MacDonald on a year’s trip to the Far East. From 1934-35, he worked for Hanover Bank, and in 1935 went to work for New York and Pennsylvania Co. He served as a combat intelligence officer with the 7th Air Force in the Central Pacific. He reached the rank of major while completing his last few months in the Pentagon as a briefer for Gen. Henry H. Arnold. In 1945 he became president of New York and Pennsylvania Co. His other business interests included directorships in Great Northern Paper Co., Irving Trust Co., and Fidelity Phoenix Insurance Co.

Peter enjoyed his home on Lake Champlain, and served as trustee and president of the Museum of the City of New York. He is survived by his wife, Sis; son Peter Jr. ’57; three grandchildren, including Pete III ’85; and five great-grandchildren, among whom is Peter IV. The class sends its condolences to them all.

The Class of 1932



Jim died April 21, 2005.

He prepared at the Lawrenceville School. At Princeton, Jim was a member of the Glee Club, orchestra, and Cannon Club. Freshman year he roomed with E.I. Berry Jr.; sophomore, junior, and senior years with Mark Sullivan.

After Princeton, Jim completed his medical education and surgical training at Johns Hopkins medical school and hospital. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Omega Alpha, rose to chief of urology at Johns Hopkins, and finished military service with the rank of major. Jim next spent six years in private practice in Atlanta, where he served as vice president of the Medical Association of Georgia, and was building-fund committeeman and contributor for the new Piedmont Hospital there. In 1953 he married Mary Trent and later was an associate professor of urology at Duke University Medical School.

In addition to his wife, Jim is survived by seven children, Mary Trent Jones, Sally Trent Harris, Rebecca Trent Kirkland, Barbara Trent Kimbrell , Jenny Semans Koortbojian, James Duke Biddle Trent Semans, and Beth Semans Hubbard; 16 grandchildren; and 22 great-grandchildren; to all of whom the class extends its very sincere condolences.

The Class of 1932



Ez died April 11, 2005, at the Pine Acres Rehabilitation Center in Madison, N.J., following a brief illness. He was 93.

Born in Newark, he lived in Chatham, N.J., for 63 years and was a summer resident of West Harwich, Mass.

Ez graduated cum laude from Princeton with a bachelor’s in economics. He spent 40 years with the Prudential Insurance Co. in Newark, where he worked in the claims and comptroller’s departments. He retired in 1973.

Ez was a trustee and treasurer at Ogden Memorial Presbyterian Church in Chatham, and was a member of the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution and of the Descendants of Washington’s Army at Valley Forge. He authored three family genealogy books as well as a history of the family business, Gould & Eberhardt, formerly in Irvington, N.J., and a history of Boy Scout Troop 3 in Maplewood.

He is survived by his wife of 66 years, Katherine Elkington Eberhardt; a son,

Henry E. III; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1933



John died Jan. 30, 2005, in Sacramento, Calif.

After graduating from Princeton in 1933 with a bachelor’s in chemistry, John earned a medical degree in 1937 from Johns Hopkins, where his father had graduated in 1899. He received research awards from many medical associations, and was credited with the discovery of aldosterone, a hormone released by the adrenal glands. He was on the Stanford Medical School faculty from 1948-90, when he retired as professor of medicine emeritus. He continued medical research with grants from NIH at Stanford until the research office was damaged beyond repair by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

His research centered on hypertension. John was the chief of endocrinology at Stanford for more than 25 years.

John’s wife, Genevieve, preceded him in death in 1996. He is survived by two sons, a daughter-in-law, two granddaughters, and three great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1933



Hank, of Hancock Point, Maine, and Grass Valley, Calif., died at home in California Dec. 17, 2004.

He attended Kent School prior to Princeton. He married Henrietta Wise and they went to the Philippines, where he managed a local mahogany mill for the Insular Lumber Co. During World War II he was a major in the Army Air Force, developing skip bombs at Eglin Field Air Force Base in Florida and Edwards Air Force Base in California. After the war he returned to Insular Lumber in Philadelphia, where he eventually became president. He continued to travel widely in Southeast Asia and around the world. He was a member of the Asia Society and vice president of the Philippine-American Chamber of Commerce.

Hank was an active Democrat and a founding member of the Philadelphia branch of Business Executives Move for Peace in Vietnam. After retirement he frequently traveled for the International Service Corps of Retired Executives.

Hank liked nothing better than to lead day-long hiking expeditions in Acadia National Park in Maine with his old Army canteen and no maps, picking blueberries, getting lost, ending up satisfied and hungry for popovers at Jordan Pond House. He had a lifelong zest for meeting new people and going on new adventures.

He will be missed by his wife, Brenda; his sister, Eunice; his children, Anne, Retta Clews, and Henry Jr.; nine grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1933



Ben, professor emeritus at Columbia University, where he taught Greek and Latin to generations of undergraduates and graduate students, died of complications from pneumonia April 20, 2005. He was 93

During most of his years at Columbia, from 1953-75, he was the classics department representative of Columbia College and its School of General Studies, and its chairman for several years in the 1970s. In that capacity, but especially in the classroom, it was said that “his self-deprecating wit, enthusiasm, and astonishing breadth of knowledge endeared him to and often motivated countless Columbia undergraduates, whose development was his priority as an educator.” Ben was able to read in at least 14 foreign languages. In World War II, as an officer in the Army Counterintelligence Corps, he took part in the landing at Normandy, the Battle of St. Lô and the Battle of the Bulge, and also was in the first Army contingent to enter Soviet-controlled Berlin.

Ben was an enthusiastic Princetonian and regular attendee at our New York City class luncheons in the 1980s. “Where else,” he once wrote, “have we packed in so much excitement and learning, fun and worry, hard work and hard play as we did in those four years” as undergraduates?

Surviving is Ben’s wife of 50 years, Ethyle R. Wolfe Benedict.

The Class of 1934



Warren, who was born and raised on the campus of Maryland School for the Blind, where his father was superintendent, and who spent his life working for the blind, notably as co-inventor of the long-cane technique that gave the blind increased mobility and independence, died Feb. 27, 2005, at his Columbia [Md.] home. He was 92.

After World War II, when he was assigned to a unit at Valley Forge Army Hospital to work with men and women who had lost their vision, Warren helped develop the cane technique, which is still in use around the world and helps the blind detect obstacles as well as stairs and changes in ground level. In 1958 he joined the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, where he established and directed orientation and mobility training programs for the blind.

“The best reward I have had for my public action,” he once wrote, “was the establishment of an award by the American Association of Workers for the Blind, called the Warren Bledsoe Award for ‘tracing the movement of human thought with respect to blindness.’”

Warren’s wife of 53 years, Anne, died Feb. 6, 2005. He is survived by two daughters, Hester Butterfield and Virginia Bledsoe, and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1934



Frank, who practiced ophthalmology in Cincinnati for 35 years before retiring to Florida, died April 19, 2005, after a long illness that included pneumonia and Alzheimer’s.

He was at Princeton for only one year, but remained a member of our class right up to the end. He completed his medical studies at the University of Cincinnati and Washington University in St. Louis.

Frank’s first wife, Carolyn Ray Shook, whom he married in 1934, died in 1976. The following year he married Bette Langford and retired from the practice of medicine. “Bette,” he wrote, “inspired me to discover and pursue a writing ambition. I particularly like writing verse and short stories.” Frank started a historical novel, “but completion is being delayed by lighter moments of fishing and boating.”

Surviving, besides Bette, are two sons, a daughter, and several grandchildren.

The Class of 1934



Surrounded by three generations of his family, Bill died at his home in Monongahela, Pa., March 3, 2005. He was 90.

He came to Princeton via Culver Military Academy, Hotchkiss, and Shady Side Academy. He majored in engineering, played football, and belonged to Cap and Gown Club. During World War II he served as an Air Force pilot, among other assignments, flying the famous “Hump” between India and China. Bill attained the rank of lieutenant colonel and the Air Force sent an honor guard to his funeral, when he was laid to rest with full military honors.

After the war he worked in New York for Pan American Airlines and the Book of the Month Club. He later was employed by several engineering firms in the Pittsburgh area. In retirement he was a director of Kopp Glass and volunteered at Mount Pleasant Public Library. He was a lifelong member of Shady Side Presbyterian Church. Those who knew Bill best remember him as a fine gentleman who was respectful toward all kinds of people, and also as an active naturalist. We have lost a talented and tenderhearted classmate.

His wife, Mary Louise, died in 1997. The class extends sympathy to the numerous devoted members of his family.

The Class of 1937



George died Jan. 20, 2005, in Shaker Heights, Ohio, where he was being cared for by his family. He was 89.

Born in Pittsburgh, Pa., he resided for much of his life in Riverdale-on-Hudson, N.Y. He prepared at Riverdale Country School, and at Princeton majored in history and was a member of the Glee Club, the tennis squad, the Princetonian board, and Tower Club. After graduating from Harvard Law School, George was drafted into the Army in 1941. He was recalled for service in the Korean War and rose to the rank of captain in the Army Intelligence Corps.

In peacetime he was a partner in the law firm of Holzmann, Wise and Shepherd in Manhattan. He co-authored the book, When Corporations Go Public, which became a standard text in law schools. George was active in civic affairs as a director of Riverdale Neighborhood House; as an elder at the Riverdale Presbyterian Church, where his father, a member of the Class of 1907, was pastor for many years; and as president of the New York City Council of Churches.

The class has lost a loyal member. When George’s mind was wandering near the end, he was asked when he graduated from Princeton. Immediately he responded, “Class of 1937.”

His wife, Lietje, predeceased him. We extend our sympathy to his six children, nine grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1937



Paul died March 19, 2005, in Palo Alto, Calif.

He prepared at Townsend Harris High School and Princeton Prep. During college, he was a member of the varsity boxing team and the chess team, and graduated with a bachelor’s in classics.

Thereafter, he began evening courses at Brooklyn Law School. During World War II, Paul enlisted in the Army, serving as a member of the Office of Strategic Services in Greece and Egypt. Postwar, Paul was a Columbia Law Review editor and then earned a master’s in taxation from NYU Law School.

After teaching at the University of Nebraska Law School, he moved to Albuquerque, where for 35 years he pursued a civil-rights law practice that included numerous battles for the ACLU and other clients. He received the UN Human Rights Award in 1966, an NAACP award, and a lifetime achievement award from the ACLU’s New Mexico chapter. A local newspaper editor described him as “the lion of civil liberties” in New Mexico and added, “Paul perpetuates all that is good about his profession.”

Paul’s wife, Casey, predeceased him. He is survived by his son, Benjamin; daughters Alice and Joyce; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to all the family.

The Class of 1938



Henry died Feb. 28, 2005, in St. Louis, Mo., after a brief illness.

A lifelong resident of St. Louis, Henry prepared at the St. Louis Country Day School before attending Princeton. He left Princeton to enter the family business and served in the Army during World War II. He concluded his career in the insurance business.

Henry was an active member of the St. Louis community. He served in many organizations that focused on caring for the needy, including the United Way and Wesley House. He was a member of the Episcopal Church of St. Michael and St. George in Clayton.

To Henry’s wife, Betty; his children, Sara Tyler, Henry Jr., and Mary Thistle; his stepchildren, Ginny Russell, Nancy Merritt, and Gil Russell; and his grandchildren; the class extends its heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Ed died April 25, 2005, at his Princeton home after a brief illness.

After preparing at Lawrenceville, he majored in politics at Princeton and was active in interclub basketball, the Catholic Club, and Dial Lodge. In 1943 he graduated from Harvard Law School. After serving in the Navy, he was admitted to the New York State Bar and practiced law with Simpson, Thatcher, and Bartlett until 1955. In 1956 he became vice president of Atlas Corp., and was named CEO and president in 1964.

Moving to Princeton in 1958, he became active in community affairs. He served on the board of the Lawrenceville School, was chairman of the board of the Medical Center at Princeton, and was a trustee of Dial Lodge and the Graduate School of Education at the University of Pennsylvania. Ed was a past class vice president, reunion chairman, regional Annual Giving agent, and a member of the Schools and Scholarship Committee.

A devoted husband, Ed never left the side of his wife, Irene, for the past 15 years, or gave up hope for a cure for her Parkinson’s disease. She died only 10 days after Ed. He is survived by his daughters, Nancy Jarrell and Jane von Oehsen; his son, Edward III; and their families, including five grandchildren. Ed’s son, Thomas ’72, preceded him in death. To all, the class extends heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1940



Jack died March 11, 2005, in Sarasota, Fla., after a long illness.

He came to Princeton from Birmingham, Mich., and after graduating from Exeter. He majored in economics and was a member of Tower Club. Jack was on the freshman track team and was a member of the Pistol Club. His roommates included Brightman, Haines, McNeil, and Milnor.

During World War II, Jack served in the Adjutant General’s Department. After the Army, he went into the insurance business in New York, acquiring his New York State broker’s license. However, in 1946 his father died and Jack returned to Michigan to take over the family business, Western Waterproofing Co., which specialized in restoration and waterproofing of industrial and commercial buildings. He retired as president of the company in 1944, and then moved to Sarasota.

Jack is survived by his wife of 63 years, Betsy Smith Bagby; his son, John Sumner; daughter Cynthia; and his brother, Walker.

The Class of 1941



Rebel died March 23, 2005, in Atlantic Beach, Fla. He was 83.

A Jacksonville, Fla., native, he attended Ortega Public School, the Bolles School, and The Hill School, prior to Princeton.

During World War II, Rebel served in the European theater as a lieutenant of artillery.

He received his law degree from the University of Florida in 1948, becoming an associate with Stockton, Ulmer, and Murchison. He and his brother, William ’41, later formed the Stockton and Stockton law firm in Jacksonville. Rebel also served four years with Judge Harry H. Martin as an assistant Duval County solicitor.

He was a member of the Jacksonville and Florida bar associations for more than half a century, a founding member and past president of Selva Marina Country Club, a founding director of the Ocean State Bank, and was active in a host of other organizations.

Rebel was an avid sportsman, enjoying skiing, swimming, tennis, golf, and any sport involving his beloved Florida Gators.

He is survived by his wife, Ursula Joanne; a son, Richard L.; and four grandchildren. To the entire family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt sympathies.

The Class of 1943



Ted died March 24, 2005, at Bentley Village Care Center in Naples, Fla. He was 84.

A native of Rutherford, N.J., he graduated from Princeton in 1943 and rose to captain in the Army, serving with distinction in the Pacific during World War II.

Ted ran his own company, Van Buren, Inc., for 45 years before retiring in 1990. He was a member of the Princeton Club of Southwest Florida, as well as the Naples Athletic Club.

Ted is survived by Jean Cole Van Buren, his loving wife of 56 years; a son, Peter; two daughters, Mary Wilkinson and Sally Schramm; a sister, Mary Van Buren; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

To the entire family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943



A psychiatrist, Charles died March 22, 2005, at his home at Heron Point, Chestertown, Md. He was 82.

He taught and practiced psychiatry for more than 30 years in Maryland, mostly in the Salisbury area. After retirement in 1992, he was seeking a new “improved” inner self, hoping for “progress, not perfection,” he wrote humbly in our 50th-reunion directory.

Charles prepped at Gilman School in Baltimore, and was active in wrestling and the student newspaper. At Princeton, he was a member of the wrestling squad, the Daily Princetonian, the Madison Debating Society, St. Paul’s Society, and Colonial Club.

In 1943, he transferred to Loyola College in Baltimore, for his bachelor’s degree. After serving two years in the Marine Corps, Charles went on to earn a doctorate from the University of Maryland. He was a life fellow in the American Psychiatric Association and the American Society of Addictive Medicine, and a member of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church.

Charles is survived by his wife, Margaret; two sons, Charles IV and John O.; a daughter, Mary M.; four stepdaughters, Patricia, Sandra and Deborah Lemmerman, and Karen Mueller; stepson Douglas Lemmerman; a sister, Elizabeth B. Gerlach; and eight grandchildren. Our warm condolences go to all.

The Class of 1944


S. MORTON COOLEY Jr. ’44 *53

One of four from our class to transfer to the Naval Academy near the start of World War II, Mort died Feb. 14, 2005, in Palm Coast, Fla. He was 83 and retired as a rear admiral after 33 years of Navy service, including World War II and the Korean conflict.

Trained also as an aviator, his tours included time as executive officer on the USS Guadalcanal, commander of the USS Wasp, command posts with NATO, staff member of the Joint Chiefs in the Pentagon, and commander of Naval Air Patrol Wings in the Pacific.

Born in Kingston, Pa., Mort prepped at Nichols School in Buffalo. He was on our freshman swimming team. After the war, he returned to Princeton for a master’s degree in aeronautical engineering, which he earned in 1953. He attended our 50th reunion.

In retirement, he wrote specialized Navy training manuals, and was a member of the Gideons International, the Lutheran Church, the Navy League, the Association of Naval Aviators, the Businessmen’s Fellowship, and the Flagler County [Fla.] Orchid Society. He was buried with full military honors and a fly-over.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Izola Cooley, to whom the class extends its sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1944



Gene died of congestive heart complications Dec. 17, 2004, in Scottsdale, Ariz. He was 81.

He attended McKeesport [Pa.] High School, where he was president of the student council and active in debate. At Princeton he majored in politics, and was a member of WPRU, Whig-Clio, the Princeton Senate, the band, and Quadrangle Club. His roommates included Morgan Bird and Bill Hayes.

Gene earned his bachelor’s and left for the Army in 1943; he proudly served three years with the Manhattan Project. He never married but “faced life as an adventurer, always seeking new challenges,” a close niece recalled.

After beginning careers in finance and banking, he became an entrepreneur, owning at various times a boutique in Scottsdale, a men’s store off Fifth Avenue in New York, a Scottsdale dude ranch, and an upscale restaurant in LaJolla, Calif. Gene told his family that “Princeton prepared him for a fully engaged life as a thinker and businessman.” At his death, he held a reservation for a world cruise.

Gene is survived by a sister, Amy Lannan; a brother, Paden; two nephews; and three nieces. We are thankful for his times with us, wish him a tardy farewell, and send our condolences to his family.

The Class of 1944


An outstanding public servant, self-labeled “urbanist,” and academic leader from the 1950s through the 1970s, Bob died April 1, 2005, in Boston after battling stomach cancer. He was 81.

He headed, in turn, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (under President Lyndon Johnson), the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, the University of Massachusetts, and the Boston school system. He authored nine books on political science (one of which popularized the term “suburbia”), and taught at Harvard, MIT, and Wesleyan University.

Arriving at Princeton on a full scholarship, Bob waited on tables in Commons and worked odd jobs while majoring in the School of Public and International Affairs. He was proud of being a founder of Prospect Club, citing its “inclusiveness.” He served for three years as an Army combat infantryman, winning battle citations, before returning to graduate in 1946. He subsequently earned two master’s degrees and a doctorate in government from Harvard. At our 25th reunion, Princeton awarded him a honorary doctor of laws degree.

Bob is survived by his wife of 53 years, Margaret; a son, Frank; two daughters, Frances, and Margaret Hassan; and two grandchildren. He was the grandson of Robert Bradshaw 1873, and brother of Frank B. ’41. Our sincere condolences go to the family.

The Class of 1944



Fred died Dec. 29, 2003, in Naples, Fla., where he had lived since 1980.

Fred prepared for Princeton at Choate. He was stroke and captain of the freshman 150-pound crew, and was a member of the fencing team and Colonial Club. In 1943 the Navy V-12 program took Fred to Cornell with many other engineers. He served in the Pacific theater.

After leaving the Navy he worked in advertising with several firms and lived in Louisville, Ky. He retired in 1980 and moved to Naples, where he was an active volunteer with the Conservancy of Southwest Florida. He also worked for St. John’s Episcopal Church and Naples Community Hospital.

Fred was predeceased by his first wife, Jacqueline. They had four children, all of whom survive: Barbara Eisenbeis, Cynthia Burghard, J. Fred Burghard II, and Dorothea Shepard. There are seven grandchildren. He also is survived by his second wife, Patricia Zeller Burghard, and by seven stepchildren. The class expresses sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Don died April 20, 2003.

Don entered Princeton from Lincoln School in New York, joined Key and Seal, and was famed among our classmates for his musical contributions to the University. In addition to being student director of the band, he managed the Glee Club, wrote songs for Triangle, was musical director of Theater Intime, and organized the Tigertones. Don was deacon of the University Chapel and a member of the Undergraduate Council. He saw combat in Germany with the 13th Armored Division, serving as assistant to the division chaplain.

Returning to Princeton, Don received a music degree in 1948 and a master’s in music in 1950. Don then joined the music faculty at the University of Virginia, where he realized outstanding success.

In 1949 he married the former Alice Kellogg. Don and Alice divorced in 1976 and Don married the former Marie “Heidi” McCabe. However, Don and Heidi divorced in 1993.

Don is survived by his third wife, the former Cheryl Martin. In addition to Cheryl, Don is survived by his son, Alexander ’77; by two daughters, Jean Allen and Margaret Milliken; by stepdaughters Christine McCabe and Jacquelin McCabe; and by several grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Ed died Oct. 10, 2004, at the Jenner’s Pond Retirement Community in West Grove, Pa.

Ed entered Princeton from White Plains [N.Y.] High School. At Princeton, where he followed his brother, Robert ’43, he joined Cannon Club and was on the golf team. His Princeton career was interrupted by service in the heavy weapons platoon of the Army’s 84th Division. Ed saw combat in Germany and was wounded, for which he was awarded the Purple Heart.

On his return to Princeton he earned a bachelor’s in chemical engineering in 1946, joined a division of DuPont in New Jersey, and married Joan Brutschy, also from White Plains, in 1949. They moved to be near the main offices of DuPont in Newark, Del. Ed’s job took him to nine DuPont locations from New York to Texas to Florida, where he participated in plant startups and process evaluations. Ed initiated and developed several patented processes for DuPont. He retired from the company in 1984.

Ed was very proud that, although none of his three children attended Princeton, his two daughters graduated from Smith and Cornell, and his son graduated from Penn State. Ed is survived by Joan; daughters Laura Markham and Victoria Cohen; son Michael; two grandchildren; and his brother, Bob. The class expresses its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



The class lost a very brave man with the death of Harry “Bud” Hall April 18, 2005. After a lifetime of desperation, all the while struggling for family and personal survival, he died quietly while sitting in a chair in the sunshine at a local nursing home.

Harry came to Princeton in the V-12 program and graduated in 1947 with a bachelor’s in SPIA. He conducted the University band and was a star on the golf team. Harry started out in the textile industry and it was all downhill. He sold insurance and automobiles before joining the Mercer County Park Commission. He cut golf-course grass before being transferred to managing the pro shop.

“In 1964 I became hospitalized for what appeared to be a nervous breakdown,” Harry wrote in our 25-year book. “Throughout the next seven years I was hospitalized on at least seven occasions, all for the same illness. I seem to be quite well now with the help of lithium and I am diagnosed as a suspected manic-depressive.” But Harry became more and more withdrawn, retiring from the park commission in 1987.

His beloved wife, Mary, predeceased him. Harry is survived by his dearly loved children, Harry III and Virginia, as well as three grandchildren.

The Class of 1948



Jack, one of our World War II veterans, died May 1, 2004, at his Manasquan, N.J., home. He was 80.

He was born and raised in Ocean [N.J.] Township, graduated from Asbury Park High School in 1941, and from the Merchant Marine Academy in 1942. After duty in the North Atlantic, he resigned his maritime commission and served in the Navy with distinction in the Pacific until 1946.

At Princeton, Jack majored in economics and belonged to Campus Club. He lived off-campus with his wife, Betty, and their two young daughters. As tribute to Betty, Jack wrote at our 10th reunion that he “regretted that Princeton never saw fit to award an honorary degree to faithful wives who helped their husbands complete college.” He worked for several corporations, retiring as a general sales manager in 1985.

Jack was deeply involved in civic activities. He was a volunteer firefighter with the Allenhurst [N.J.] Fire Department for more than 60 years. He served as president of the fire department, the Ocean Township Pop Warner League and Little League, and the township’s board of education.

Betty died in 2003. To Jack’s two daughters, Kathy and Linda, and his son, John, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1950


Jimmy was born and raised in Andalusia, his family’s superb Greek Revival house in Bucks County, Pa.; he died there in his sleep March 10, 2005.

The son of Charles J. Biddle ’11, Jimmy graduated from St. Paul’s magna cum laude. At Princeton he was an art and archaeology major, a member of Colonial Club, and roomed with Charlie Dodge and Barrie Slaymaker. After serving in the Army, he began his remarkable career in historic preservation and the arts. He joined the staff of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1955 and by 1963 had become curator of the American Wing. He also played a major role in preserving Olana, Frederic Church’s Persian-style home in the Hudson River Valley.

Jimmy became president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1968, a post he held until his resignation in 1980. During his tenure, membership in the Trust grew to 150,000.

He also was chairman of the Drawing Society and president of the Preservation Alliance of Philadelphia, and at one time, trustee of the American Federation of Arts, the Corcoran Gallery in Washington, and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.

Jimmy is survived by his children, Letitia, Pamela, and James C., and by seven grandchildren. His marriage to Louisa Copeland Duemling ended in divorce.

The Class of 1951



Bob died suddenly Jan. 30, 2005, from a fall in his Morristown, N.J., home.

Born in Teaneck, N.J., he graduated from Morristown High School. At Princeton he was a mechanical engineering major and graduated with high honors. A member of Campus Club, Bob roomed with Clem Darby, Dick Freeman, and Lew Thompson.

Bob entered the nascent air-pollution control business with Pulverizing Machinery Co. in Summit, N.J., and established subsidiaries of the company in Europe, South Africa, and Australia. He later joined the Torit Co. in Minnesota, where he invented the cartridge dust collector, now the industry standard. Moving back to New Jersey, he was general manager of the Particle Processing Division of VibraScrew for several years before setting up Robert Frey Associates to market another invention, the PulseJet Screen, used for fine powder classification.

Active in the Episcopal church, Bob was a lay eucharistic minister at St. Paul’s in Chatham and a member of the Cursillo Movement. He was a faithful contributor to Princeton, attending football games, mini-reunions, and every major class reunion.

The class offers its deepest sympathy to his wife of 52 years, Joan Whitney Frey; his children, Susan Omanson, Robyn St. Clair, and Douglas Frey; eight grandchildren; and his sister, Sara Malin.

The Class of 1951



Steve died April 3, 2005, in Tryon, N.C., after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease.

Born in New York City June 12, 1929, he was the son of Arnold Wood Jr. ’21. He came to us from The Hill School, roomed with Jake Eddy and John Moore, and was a politics major, graduating magna cum laude. He was president of Charter Club, a chapel deacon, and an associate football manager.

From 1951-53 Steve served as a first lieutenant in Korea, where he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary heroism under fire on Pork Chop Hill. Recovering from his wounds, he returned to civilian life and earned an MBA from NYU. Thereafter, he was a longtime member of the New York Stock Exchange, residing in Navesink, N.J., and South Woodstock, Vt., before retiring to the South.

Steve married Bonnie McLain in 1954. He is survived by Bonnie and their sons, Mark and Bret; grandchildren Parker, Page, and Kiersten; and by his brothers, William ’49 and Winston.

The Class of 1951



John died in Glen Ridge, N.J., Dec. 15, 2003, of lung cancer.

Through years of declining health he never lost the serene spirit and keen sense of humor that endeared him to his family and to his many Princeton and other friends. A lifelong resident of Glen Ridge, he entered Princeton from Glen Ridge High School. At Princeton he was an economics major and a member of the band and of Terrace Club. After serving in the Army during the Korean War, John spent his entire working career in various management positions with Prudential Insurance Co.

Following his early retirement from Prudential in 1985 he became deeply involved in community and Princeton affairs, most notably as treasurer of Glen Ridge’s Freeman Garden Association, and as diligent local prod for Annual Giving. His abiding appreciation of Princeton found further expression in annual visits he and his wife made to the campus at Christmas.

Above all a devoted husband, father, and grandfather, John leaves his beloved wife of almost 41 years, Elaine; his son, Robert; and his grandchildren, Thomas and Katie. To them, the class extends deepest condolences.

The Class of 1952



Charles died June 20, 2003, in Lewiston, Maine.

Born in Chicago in April 1924, he was the second oldest member of our class. His preparation for Princeton included schooling at the Episcopal Academy and Portland Junior College, service in the Navy during World War II, and an early marriage.

At Princeton he belonged to Prospect Club and worked in the Campus Center while pursuing his bachelor’s degree. Charles went on to a career with Pitney Bowes as a service technician. Following his retirement, he owned and operated Lafean Automated Mailing Systems.

He was a longtime, active member of the United Methodist Church in Auburn, Maine, serving on its executive committee and singing in its choir. An avid outdoorsman and woodworker as well as a singer, he served numerous other organizations, included the Androscoggin Chorale, the Lost Valley Ski School, the Sunday River Ski Patrol, and the American Red Cross.

When invited to contribute to our BOH, Charles graciously declined, pointing out poignantly that his age and marital status had kept him from knowing any of his classmates.

He leaves a daughter, Katherine Lafean Bono; a son, Charles H. Jr.; two grandsons; and a faithful companion, Barbara J. Harrison. To them, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1952



Syd died Aug. 20, 2004.

Born in Philadelphia, he entered Princeton from Phillipsburg [N.J.] High School. At Princeton he was deeply involved in his major, chemical engineering, and in Key and Seal. His chief extramural interests included the Rifle Team, Glee Club, and the Westminster Foundation.

Building on his rich Princeton experience and the law degree he earned from the Chase College of Law at the University of Northern Kentucky in 1977, Syd spent his entire working career in various key positions with Procter & Gamble in Baltimore, Staten Island, and Cincinnati.

He continued to be an avid sportsman, sailing as a member of the Brookville Lake Sailing Association, and bird hunting and target shooting as a member of the Fairchild Sportsman’s Club. He was avid as well in his service to the Jaycees, Boy Scouts, and Khoury baseball teams. He also served as vice president of the Princeton Club of Southern Ohio. His praise in the BOH of our mini-reunions reveals his abiding commitment to Princeton and our class.

Syd, who was divorced, was predeceased by his son Jonathan. Surviving him are his four children, Susan, Sydney III, David, and Peter; his four grandchildren; and his faithful friend, Janet Frazer. To them, the class extends its deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1952



Ben, a native of Baltimore and a resident of Doylestown, Pa., died Feb. 26, 2005.

Ben came to Princeton from Central High School in Philadelphia, majored in history, joined Prospect Club, and was active in Whig-Clio. He was one of Princeton’s early African-American graduates.

Ben received his master’s from Harvard in 1958 and his Ph.D. from Princeton in medieval history in 1963. He taught for two years at the University of Western Ontario before joining the faculty of the University of Illinois, where his years of service led to the chairmanship of the history department before his retirement. Ben also served as a visiting professor at Georgetown University. In 1978, Ben co-authored A History of Western Society, and five years later co-authored A History of World Societies. Both books have passed through many editions and are read in history classrooms around the country. A deeply spiritual man and a student of medieval monasticism, Ben was ordained a Benedictine monk in 1985. He loved gardening, cooking, and antiques.

Ben attended our 45th reunion, and we hoped to see him at our 50th. He is survived by his mother, Muriel Hill; a sister, Beverly Lomax; and several nieces and nephews, to whom we extend our condolences.

The Class of 1956



Mike died in his sleep at home in Lido Beach, N.Y., March 7, 2005.

After graduation, Mike spent three years in the Navy. He then joined his father’s business in promoting boxing on television. He remained in that endeavor for the rest of his business life, ultimately as president and CEO of Top Rank, a leader in the business. He is credited by Bob Arum and others in the field as a pioneer and king of the closed-circuit and Pay-Per-View worlds.

Mike was important to his class and to Princeton. He was ever full of ideas and enthusiasm for his class, serving as a member of the executive committee, always with inventive schemes for events and projects. He was a faithful supporter of the University — orange and black from his sweater and hat to the marrow in his bones. We saw him at tailgates, always in position early, holding space for the rest of us, and always with the best bottle of wine to share. An avid follower of Princeton athletics, he was at many events, cheering on the teams and often having pointed suggestions for the coaches. Mike will be sorely missed by his classmates.

To his wife, Muriel, and his children, Michelle, Jeanne, Jennifer, Michael, Christina, and Allison, the class and its officers extend their sincere condolences.

The Class of 1956



Paul died Jan. 15, 2005, at Rex Hospital in Raleigh, N.C. His daughter, Beadsie, sent us the sad news right away, knowing that her father was “a proud alumnus of the Class of ’56 and a devoted Princeton fan.”

On learning of Paul’s death, fellow engineering student Ken Snedeker wrote: “You could always count on him to be happy and with a smile on his face. He was great to be with in class or working in a lab.”

Born in Shanghai, the youngest of the six children of William and Grace Woo, Paul came to the US in 1952 to enter Princeton. After he retired from IBM in 1987, he spent his time on entrepreneurial pursuits and traveling with his family.

Immediate survivors are his wife, Marilyn; daughter Lillian Grace Woo and her husband, Eric Manzon; daughter Jane Woo, her husband, Mike DiCuccio, and their son, Tom DiCuccio; daughter Michelle Marie Woo; and sons Paul Vincent and Christopher William. The class extends deep sympathy to all Paul’s family.

The Class of 1956



Dick died March 11, 2005. He was 69.

He prepared for Princeton at Scranton [Pa.] Central High School. At Princeton, Dick majored in civil engineering, received a Naval ROTC scholarship, and joined Cannon Club. He was an excellent athlete in track and football. In his senior year he won the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) 35-pound weight throw in 1957. His senior-year roommates were Russ Reck and Dean Updike.

After graduation Dick spent three years in the Navy’s Civil Engineering Corps. Much of the rest of his career was spent in New England in civil engineering and computer science positions such as senior sales rep with Perkin-Elmer in Waltham, Mass. He also attended Northeastern University’s graduate school.

He enjoyed tennis and choral singing in church and community groups, and loved his children and family.

To his fiancée, Jo Anne; daughters Sandy, Betsy, and Patty; his six grandchildren; and brothers Jim and Walter; the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1957



Herb Carr died July 26, 2004.

He came to Princeton from the Dwight Morrow High School in Englewood, N.J. At Princeton he majored in chemistry and was a member of Elm Club, where he was active in interclub athletics, especially football, basketball, and softball. His senior roommates were Bill Stone and Gale Kelley. Gale recalls that Herb was a very bright, fun-loving guy who had an infectious sense of humor and enjoyed practical jokes. Unfortunately, information on Herb’s life after Princeton is very scant.

Herb’s son, Johnathon, predeceased him. To his daughter, Jacqueline Mannino, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1958



Bob died in an accident April 18, 2005, in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, at one of his three homes.

Born and raised in Cranford, N.J., he came to Princeton from the Pingry School. At Princeton, he took his meals at Charter; roomed with Steve Ely, Bob Schweizer, Fred Hyer, and Hilton Jervey; and majored in economics, setting the stage for his distinguished career in the financial community.

After stints with Clark Dodge, White Weld, Merrill Lynch, and running his own hedge fund, he founded Robert A. Stanger & Co. in Shrewsbury, N.J., in 1978 and became a nationally recognized expert on partnership and other direct participation investments (“DPPs”). Bob’s monthly newsletter, The Stanger Report, providing his advice and commentary on this investment niche, is found in securities brokerage offices all over the nation.

A committed volunteer, Bob served and supported his alma maters and numerous other nonprofits, while also serving on a number of corporate boards.

Married three times, Bob is survived by his wife, Gail; his brother, Bill ’58; three daughters; a son; nine grandchildren; and his stepmother. We join them in mourning the passing of this loyal Princetonian and classmate.

The Class of 1961


HOWIE BINGHAM KISER h’75 h’55 h’84

Howie Kiser died March 30, 2005, of acute myelogenous leukemia.

A graduate of the University of Richmond, Howie began her love affair with Princeton when she came to work in Alumni Records in 1971. Alumni volunteers quickly found her to be an ally who often helped them out of a jam, and someone as attached to Princeton as they were.

When her daughter, A. Melissa Kiser, became ’75’s class secretary in 1980, Howie volunteered to help on her own time with filing and record keeping. She also input the edited copy for the class’ 10th-, 15th-, 20th-, and 25th-reunion yearbooks. In the years after ’75 elected her an honorary classmate, the classes of 1955 and 1984 followed suit. She was presented with the Alumni Council Award for Service to Princeton in 1986.

Howie moved to the Alumni Council office in 1990, retiring in 1993 as an assistant director. She retained her loyalty to the orange and black, rarely missing a home game of her beloved men’s basketball team and continuing her streak of attending every Triangle show since 1972.

Howie’s husband, Kent, died in 1993. She is survived by her daughter, her grandson, David B. Mesrobian ’05, and many friends in the University community. Ave atque vale.

The Class of 1975



Gregory died in New York City May 12, 1996, of a ruptured brain aneurysm.

He was a science writer and the editor of Discover magazine’s Internet site. Friends and classmates subsequently endowed the Gregory T. Pope ’80 Prize for Science Writing, administered by the University’s Council on Science and Technology and awarded to a graduating senior each year.

Greg was born in Oxford, England, in 1959 and graduated with honors from St. Albans School in Washington in 1976, where he was editor of the school newspaper in his senior year. His Princeton degree was in biology.

After doing editorial work in New York for a publisher and a law firm, Greg earned a master’s in journalism from New York University. As a freelance writer, he published feature and cover articles for magazines such as Omni, Discover, Popular Mechanics, and Science World. He became the science and technology editor of Popular Mechanics in 1993, a post he held until November 1995 when he moved to Discover.

A man with wide interests and an acute sense of the comic and the absurd, Greg was a passionate animal (and insect) lover, and a loyal friend.

At the time of his death, Greg was survived by his parents, Michael and Ann Pope; a sister, Lucy; and his grandmother, Mary Pope.

The Class of 1980


Graduate Alumni


Wendell Lund, director of New Deal agencies in Washington, D.C., died Dec. 25, 2004, at a nursing-care facility in Williamsburg, Va. He was 98.

Wendell received a Ph.D. in English from Princeton and five years later earned a law degree from Georgetown’s law school. His training — and his early work on the iron ore docks of the Chicago and Northwestern railroads in Escanaba, Mich. — suited him for work in the Roosevelt administration in the 1930s. As executive secretary of the Upper Monongahela Valley Committee, Wendell helped create jobs for the unemployed during the Great Depression. Later, as a member of the Resettlement Administration, he helped implement planned communities for homesteaders.

Wendell made an unsuccessful bid for a seat in the House of Representatives from the upper peninsula of Michigan in 1940. Thereafter, he opened law offices in Detroit and Washington, D.C., retiring from practice in 1995.

Predeceased by his first wife, Anne, in 1979, Wendell leaves behind Marian, his wife of 23 years; as well as three daughters; two stepdaughters; 10 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

GEOFFREY C. HEMSTEDT *71, English, June, 2004

ELIZABETH BERNSTEN *72, Woodrow Wilson School, June 14, 2003

DAVID J. EDEN *72, Woodrow Wilson School, March 28, 2005

THOMAS C. MINOR *74, Physics, Oct. 10, 2001

LESTER A. RUBENSTEIN *77, Chemistry, Feb. 23, 2004

RODNEY J. SAWATSKY *77, Religion, Nov. 27, 2004

GILL-CHIN LIM *78, Architecture and Urban Planning, Feb. 9, 2005

This issue has undergraduate memorials for S. Morton Cooley ’44 *53, Murdock Donald MacInnis ’45 *50, and Bennett David Hill ’56 *63. end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary