Have an opinion about this issue of PAW?
Click here for our online survey.

October 19, 2005: Memorials

Willard Carter Goodpasture ’32

Carter died July 10, 2005.

He grew up in Chicago, Ill., and received a full scholarship to attend Princeton. He was on the basketball team, baseball and football squads, and was a member of Tower Club. He roomed at 13 North Dod freshman year and at 22 Little Hall sophomore, junior, and senior years with D.M. McNamara and John Davidson. After graduating from the University of Chicago School of Medicine in 1936, he completed an internal medicine residency at its university hospital. Married in 1940 to Dorothy Bangs, he served as a physician in the Army Medical Corps in France during World War II.

Carter began his medical practice in Wichita, Kan., in 1948. He became director of medical education at Wesley Medical Center in 1962. In 1970, he was named associate professor of medicine for the University of Kansas School of Medicine. In 1985, Carter was named clinical professor emeritus by the University of Kansas. During his career, he also was named a fellow of the American College of Physicians and was a member of the Medical Society of Sedgwick County and the Kansas Medical Society.

Carter was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Dorothy, and is survived by their four children, Dorothea Schulz, Hew, David, and Cynthia Reese; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1932


Robert L. Clifford ’33

Robert died Aug. 21, 2005, at Ruxton Health Care in Williamsburg, Va.

He was born in 1912 in Evanston, Ill., grew up in Washington, D.C., and had been a resident of Williamsburg since 1972.

Robert studied history and received his ROTC commission at Princeton, then spent two years at Harvard Business School. He was employed by Northern Trust Co. in Chicago until 1940, when he volunteered for active military duty. During the next six years he served on the War Department general staff, Amphibious Force Atlantic Fleet, Southeast Asia Command, and at the Army and Navy Staff College. He was awarded the Legion of Merit. He remained in the active reserve for 28 years, retiring as a colonel.

Following World War II he was appointed a Foreign Service officer and served in U.S. embassies in Belgrade, Rangoon, Beirut, and Karachi. He later held posts as United Nations economic adviser to Niger, Sierra Leone, Malaysia, Burundi, and Western Samoa. He was decorated by the State Department for safely evacuating missionaries from hill stations in Burma and by the president of Niger for his services to that country.

Robert is survived by his wife of 54 years, Mary Louise Clifford, four children, four grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. Burial will be in Arlington National Cemetery Nov. 1.

The Class of 1933



Charlie “Clancy” Murphy, a star lacrosse player as an undergraduate who in 1956 became the founder of lacrosse at Yorktown (N.Y.) High School, the first public school lacrosse program in the Hudson River Valley, and continued for years as its consultant, unofficial coach, and father figure, died of pneumonia Aug. 19, 2005.

In 1994 he was inducted as a charter member in the Hudson Valley Chapter Lacrosse Hall of Fame and, in 1998, in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame in Baltimore. Back at Yorktown High, the athletic field was named Charlie Murphy Field.

Clancy worked for 30 years as a manager at J.L. Murphy Inc., in New York City, retiring in 1977. During World War II he served three years in the Army. Unmarried, he was predeceased by three brothers, and is survived by several nieces and nephews.

At his induction in the Hall of Fame Clancy said, “If I have contributed to lacrosse and the lives of young people, then my life has been worthwhile. I can only be thankful for what lacrosse has done for me, for being at the right place at the right time, and for being able to do something about it.”

The Class of 1934


Richard L. Seggel ’36 *38

Dick died May 18, 2005. He was 91.

He prepared at the Peddie School. At Princeton he received a bachelor’s in history and a master’s in political science. After graduation he taught at the University of Cincinnati and Princeton. During World War II he served four years in the Army, rising to the rank of captain. His combat service in the European theater earned Dick the Bronze Star.

For 35 years he served in various positions in the federal government, including executive officer at the National Institutes of Health, deputy assistant secretary at the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, and at the Bureau of the Budget and Federal Civil Defense Administration. During this time he was a part-time teacher for Nova University in Fort Lauderdale. In 1974 he joined the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, where he developed and directed a health-policy fellowship program for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. He retired in 1989.

Dick was active serving his church and the Boy Scouts of America.

Emmie, his wife of 60 years, died in 2002. He is survived by a son, Richard F. ’68; a daughter, Celia Seggel; four granddaughters; and a great-grandson.

The Class of 1936


John J. Byrne ’37

Jack died April 15, 2004, in Marion, Mass.

He came to Princeton from Bayley High School in Morristown, N.J., majored in biology, received group honors, and graduated as a member of Phi Beta Kappa and with high honors. He graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1941. He spent three years as an intern and resident at Boston City Hospital and teaching at Brown and Boston universities. His military medical career included serving as chief of neurosurgery in Galesburg, Ill., with the rank of captain.

After years of teaching and practicing general surgery, Jack limited his practice to hand surgery. He proudly served on the boards of the Massachusetts Medical Society and the residency review committee.

He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Marion; daughter Leslie Byrne; son John J. Jr.; and three grandchildren. Donations in his memory may be made to the Boston Medical Library Administration. We will miss this man who led a useful, giving life.

The Class of 1937


Henry A. Caesar II ’37

Harry died Sept. 5, 2004, in New Canaan, Conn. He was 89. His father was Class of 1913 and his late brother, Porter, was Class of 1938.

He prepared at Choate, was on the freshman squash squad, and was an editor of the Daily Princetonian, a member of Quadrangle Club, and a history major. He graduated from Yale Law School, practiced law in New York, and then joined the family business, H.A. Caesar & Co. He was CEO when the company was acquired by First Union of Charlotte, N.C., in 1969.

He was one of our classmates who found a second career in his hobby — sculpture. At the 50th reunion, he wrote of his great satisfaction in the art, working with other sculptors in various mediums in a semi-abstract style. His works are in collections across the country. Memorials may be sent to the Henry Caesar Sculptor Fund, New Canaan, Conn.

He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Allison Garver; sons Sanderson, Porter, Austin, and John; eight grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. We send our condolences on the loss of this talented and interesting man.

The Class of 1937


Chapin Hawley ’37

Chapin Hawley of Cincinnati and Newport, Ky., died of complications following surgery Nov. 8, 2004. He was 88.

Chapin graduated from Walnut Hills High School in Cincinnati. At Princeton he was a member of the freshman tennis team and the ’36 Triangle show chorus, and graduated with honors in biology.

In 1942, he graduated from the University of Virginia Medical School and then interned at Cincinnati General Hospital. He spent three years in the 49th Field Hospital in the European theater, separating as a captain. He practiced radiology from 1950 to 1985, both at Cincinnati’s Christ Hospital and in private practice.

He is survived by his longtime companion, Eve Taylor; his three daughters, Susan Kelly, Robin Wood, and Courtney Newell; and eight grandchildren. His wife, Ann Powell Hawley, died in 1973. The class offers its condolences on the death of this fine man.

The Class of 1937


Cresson Henry Kearny ’37

Cress died Dec. 18, 2003, in Montrose, Colo. He was 88.

The many achievements and honors he received during his life began at Princeton, where he graduated with highest honors in engineering, held the Jadwin Memorial Scholarship, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and became a Rhodes Scholar. At Oxford he received a degree in geology.

During World War II, Cress served in Panama, becoming an authority on jungle tactics, inventing 15 civil defense items still in use, receiving the Legion of Merit, and retiring as a lieutenant colonel. As consultant to the Scripps Institute of Oceanography, he invented the wet suit in 1951 and the underwater spear gun. He joined Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee, where he invented shelters and devices to survive nuclear war, including the Kearny Fallout Meter, and wrote Nuclear War Survival Skills, which is still in print. Cress was a recipient of the Edward Teller Award for the Defense of Freedom, a civilian award for distinguished U.S. service.

His survivors included his wife of 60 years, Mary; son Cresson; daughters Adelia Wakeland, Diana Fosse, Susanna Eberle, and Stephanie Belcourt; six grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

We send our sincere sympathy to the family of this truly gifted and giving man.

The Class of 1937


LeRoy Kramer Jr. ’37

LeRoy died June 2, 2004, at his home in Harbor Springs, Mich.

Roy came to Princeton from Lawrence-ville. He left after freshman year to become city freight agent and vice president of Motor Sport of Chicago. He served four years during World War II in the Naval Reserve and retired as a lieutenant commander.

Roy’s work and hobbies involved various modes of transportation: He was an executive with General American Transportation Corp., a life member of the Sports Car Club of America, and a member of the Great Lakes Cruising Club and the Society of Island Goats, having sailed in more than 25 Chicago-to-Mackinac races.

He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Elizabeth Gillespie; daughter Margaret Kramer; sons Le Roy III and Frederick; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Our sympathies to all on the loss of our interesting classmate.

The Class of 1937


Frank Yoakum Larkin ’37

Frank died May 16, 2004, in Greenwich, Conn., of heart failure.

He prepared at Lawrenceville, majored in history, played on championship tennis teams, and was a member of Colonial Club. He graduated from Fordham Law School in 1941 and was called to active duty in the Army. He served in the Mediterranean-African theater, and was discharged as a captain in 1946.

Frank became executive vice president of Putnam Trust Co. in Greenwich, Conn., and chairman of the board until his retirement in 1986.

An ardent naturalist and ornithologist from childhood, he served as a trustee of the Wildlife Conservation Society since 1973 and was awarded the society’s gold medal in 1998. He was a trustee of the American Museum of Natural History and its Discovery Room was named in his honor. He also served on boards of the Museum of Modern Art, Juilliard School, and Jazz at Lincoln Center.

Frank is survived by his wife, June Noble; daughters Barbara Franklin, Patricia Larkin, and Edith Hubbert; son Frank; stepsons Noble Smith, David Smith, Jeremy Smith, and Bradford Smith; six grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

This caring, talented classmate is missed by many.

The Class of 1937


Robert Morton Price ’37

Bob died April 21, 2004.

Bob came to Princeton from Choate, was on the freshman track and football teams, was treasurer of Cloister Inn, and majored in architecture. He earned a master’s in architecture at the University of Pennsylvania. He served with the Navy in the Pacific theater, earned four battle stars, survived two typhoons, and became a lieutenant.

He was with United Engineers and Construction Co. in Philadelphia from

1946 until 1963, when he left to become a partner in Louis Klander Associates in Philadelphia. After retiring from that position in 1975, he stayed on as a consulting engineer until 1980.

After retiring completely, Bob divided his time between Delray Beach, Fla. and Mantoloking, N.J. Sailing was his great love, and he was proud of six round trips he made on his Xanthippe III on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Bob is survived by his wife, Margaret; son Henry; daughters Sarah Bush and Polly Grace; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Our sincere sympathies to all.

The Class of 1937



Pritch died Aug. 4, 2005, in Liberty, Mo., a victim of lung cancer brought on by exposure to asbestos fibers years ago. He was 89.

He came to Princeton from Pembroke Country Day School in Kansas City and majored in economics. He played freshman football, was news editor of the Daily Princetonian, and was a member of Quadrangle Club.

Following graduation Pritch earned an MBA from Harvard Business School and embarked on a career in steel products, and later in prefabricated vacation homes. During World War II he served as a pilot in the Troop Carrier Command of the Army Air Force. In peacetime he became involved in a wide range of civic causes in the Kansas City area.

Undoubtedly Pritch’s outstanding achievement was his founding of Habitat for Humanity/Kansas City, which built more than 200 homes for low-income families. On his retirement from Habitat in 1996, the Kansas City Star wrote, “Few can claim to have made a community contribution equaling that of John Pritchard.”

The class will remember him as our Annual Giving agent whose friendly, low-key letters made giving to Princeton a pleasure.

We extend our deepest sympathy to Mary, his wife of 63 years, his six children and their families, and 12 grandchildren. We have lost another of our finest.

The Class of 1937



Al died July 10, 2005, at his Whitestown, Ind., home after a long illness.

At Princeton Al majored in economics, graduated with honors, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He was vice president of Tower Club.

After graduation he went to work for Stokely-Van Camp Inc., founded by his father in Indianapolis. In 1940 he married Betsy Home, with whom he had three children. She died in 1952 at 37. He later married Jeanette Tarkington Danner, who had two children from a previous marriage, and the couple had one daughter, Martha.

Al was elected president of Stokely-Van Camp in 1960 and became board chairman in 1966. One of his more notable accomplishments was bringing the then-unknown product, Gatorade, under the Stokely label in 1967. He retired from Stokely-Van Camp in 1981 shortly after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. During his long and distinguished business career, Al served on many corporate boards, including Indiana Bell, Bank One, Hobart Industries, and Mead Johnson. He also took a strong interest in education and was on the board of Berea College in Kentucky.

To his widow and all his family, the class extends its deepest sympathy in their loss.

The Class of 1938



Bill died of a heart attack while vacationing in Oysterville, Wash., June 21, 2005.

A Hotchkiss graduate, Bill was a member of Princeton’s freshman 150-pound crew and varsity badminton teams, and joined Whig-Clio and Cloister Inn. He majored in history, achieving high honors. His roommates were Bruenner, Hixson, and Ritter.

Bill received an MBA from Harvard and served in World War II as a Navy lieutenant. He then began his venture capital career with American Research and Development before founding his own firm, Greylock, in 1965.

Bill supported many Princeton activities. He established the Herman Elfers Collection of Ralph Waldo Emerson at the University library. As a director of the Sherman Fairchild Foundation, Bill secured significant funding for the molecular biology center. He was a trustee and treasurer of the Hotchkiss School, which named him Alumnus of the Year in 1979. In Boston he was a trustee of the Museum of Fine Arts and of Northeastern University, which awarded him an honorary doctorate in 1989. In 2003 he received the Alumni Achievement Award from Harvard Business School.

Ann, his wife of 60 years, son William ’71, and daughter Jane were with Bill when he died. A daughter, Joanne, six grandchildren, and one great-grandchild also survive him.

The Class of 1941



Dick died peacefully July 20, 2005, of leukemia and congestive heart failure.

He was a graduate of Kingswood School in West Hartford, Conn. At Princeton he majored in mechanical engineering and was a member of Triangle Club, the University Band, and Elm Club. Dick roomed with his friend, Art Frank, all four years.

After graduation, Dick joined Sperry Gyroscope Co. of Brooklyn as a development engineer on aircraft instruments and computing of gunsights, continuing through the end of World War II. In 1946, he returned to Hartford as a design and development engineer for Hartford-Empire Co. Dick then joined Monsanto Co. before moving to Springborn Laboratories in 1968, where he was heavily involved in all phases of the plastics industry. He retired in 1984.

During his retirement he was always active in St. James’ Episcopal Church in West Hartford. He was president of West Hartford Fellowship Housing, a low-cost elderly housing project. He painted in oils, built ship’s models, traveled, and cooked. He thoroughly enjoyed his retirement.

He was predeceased by his daughter, Susan, and his brother, Cliff ’35. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Joan Hutchinson Morcom; his brother, Bill ’43; son Rick; and grandsons, Kagan, Evan, and Gabriel.

The Class of 1941



Grant, a pioneer in college radio, died July 7, 2005, in Los Angeles from complications of pneumonia.

In 1940, while majoring in modern languages, Grant started WPRB, which was headquartered in Pyne Hall. WPRB (originally WPRU) was one of only a few college radio stations in the nation and used the University’s electrical wiring systems to deliver news and music.

In January 1942 Grant enlisted in the Navy. During World War II, he helped build and direct the first Armed Forces Radio station in the Pacific, broadcasting out of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska and then later out of Peleliu in the South Pacific.

Discharged as a lieutenant junior grade, he joined CBS Television and rose to become director of West Coast operations during Television City’s heyday in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Grant applied uncommon finesse, diligence, and enthusiasm to all his pursuits, whether it was fly fishing, raising orchids, or finishing furniture. He was a vestryman and member of the board at St. Matthew’s Parish School in Pacific Palisades, and was past president of the Santa Monica Beach Club.

He loved his family: Jacquette, his wife of more than 50 years, their four children, six grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. To them, the class extends deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942



Mo, athlete extraordinaire and esteemed real estate attorney, died July 7, 2005, of a pulmonary embolism at his home in Luthersville, Md.

A graduate of Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, where he was class president and an All-Maryland football and lacrosse player, Mo majored in politics at Princeton, was an All-American lacrosse player and team captain, and was manager of Cloister Inn.

After Army service in the South Pacific during World War II, Mo earned a law degree at Harvard. While there he married Jacqueline Wilson. They had sons John and Nicholas, who died in 1980.

Mo established a highly successful legal practice in Towson, Md. He served as counsel to and board member of Baltimore County planning, zoning, and administrative authorities, and played an important role in bringing charter government to the county. While developers were acquiring Howard County property for Columbia, one of America’s first planned communities, Mo conducted all the title searches.

In local school athletic affairs he supported high-school football programs and construction of swimming pools in secondary schools.

Mo truly enjoyed his family and his life in Maryland. In our Twenty-Five Years Out, he wrote: “Wife, two children, nice home in Ruxton, splendid clients, attractive secretaries, well-stocked bar . . .” To Jacqueline, John, and family, the class expresses deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942



Sandy died of lymphoma July 24, 2005. He was 83.

A Columbus, Ohio, native, he came to Pittsburgh at 14, when his father was named president of Jones & Laughlin Steel Co. Sandy prepped for Princeton at Shady Side Academy and Taft School in Connecticut.

After a short stint in the Army, Sandy was recruited by the Office of Strategic Services, Wild Bill Donovan’s precursor to the CIA.

Following graduation from Harvard Business School after World War II, Sandy gravitated to the West Coast and a job with Crocker’s Bank, later returning to Pittsburgh and Mellon Bank. He also oversaw management of several farm properties in Minnesota owned by his mother’s family.

Sandy is survived by Elsie, his wife of 43 years, six children, and 14 grandchildren.

To the entire family, we extend our deepest condolences.

The Class of 1943



Euie died June 24, 2005, in Kenilworth, Ill., where he’d been as active as he was at Princeton.

He was our second class president after graduation, serving from 1952 to 1956. Born and raised in Nebraska, Euie was everywhere, it seemed, at Princeton: chairman of the Daily Princetonian; president of Charter Club; chairman of Interclub and Memorial Fund Committees; on the Honor Committee; and class secretary-treasurer in our junior year, among a dozen extracurricular activities, while majoring in economics. His roommates included Dick Buenger and Pete Williams.

After graduation, Euie spent more than three years as a Navy ensign, including in the Pacific. In 36 years with Continental Bank of Illinois, he rose to executive vice president, before retiring in 1982. He was active in the Princeton Club of Chicago, was a member of the Maclean Society, served as chairman for the Chicago Business Division of the American Cancer Society, and was on the board of Evanston Hospital.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Martha, who noted his pride in Princeton; three daughters, Diane Drewry, Susan Boyd, and Jean Holland; son Randall; and five grandchildren. Another son, Robert, and his brother, Larry ’42, predeceased him. Our deep condolences go to all.

The Class of 1944


Willis Frederick Doney Jr. ’46 *49

Bill died July 2, 2005, of pneumonia in Boston.

Born in Pittsburgh, Pa., he prepped at Shadyside Academy. Majoring in philosophy as an undergraduate, he later earned a master’s and Ph.D. in philosophy at Princeton. A teaching career combined with writings in his field took him to Cornell from 1949 to 1952, Ohio State from 1953 to 1958, and to Dartmouth from 1958 to 1994, when he became professor emeritus. He was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton from 1972 to 1973 and spent a year at Oxford. He lectured at the University of Michigan, the University of Edinburgh, Harvard, and the Sorbonne.

Many of Bill’s writings were on René Descartes, while Spinoza, Malebranche, and Berkeley were also subjects of his works. He belonged to philosophic societies in the U.S., France, and Great Britain. A longtime resident of Norwich, Vt., he also lived in Paris half of each year after retirement.

Bill was never married. The class honors the memory of a dedicated scholar.

The Class of 1946


Tilghman B. Koons ’46

Skip Koons died July 7, 2005, at home in East Hampton, N.Y.

A native of Plainfield, N.J., where he attended high school, he entered Princeton in 1943 to major in the Woodrow Wilson School. During his service in the Navy from 1946 to 1949, he received Russian language training and did a tour in China. Skip received a Fulbright in 1952 and earned a PhD at the Sorbonne in Paris. He worked for the National Security Council in Washington until moving to Paris to work as an attaché at the U.S. embassy. He joined Bank of Boston in 1959, shifted to Chase Manhattan Bank in 1962, and later became vice president of overseas expansion for Chase, based in New York.

Skip continued his history studies and collected marine prints from the 18th century. He especially enjoyed sailing.

Skip had no immediate survivors. The class mourns the passing of an engaged internationalist and loyal Tiger.

The Class of 1946


William Kerst Runyeon ’46

Bill accidentally drowned in the Delaware River June 7, 2005, while fishing alone.

A graduate of The Hill School, he earned a bachelor’s from Princeton in 1945, then received a medical degree at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1948. After his internship, Bill studied surgery at the Cleveland Clinic from 1949 to 1955, with service in the Army Air Corps from 1951 to 1953. He began a distinguished career in surgery at Reading (Pa.) Hospital, becoming president of the Eastern Pennsylvania College of Surgeons in 1968.

Bill also was president of the Reading Musical Foundation and a trustee of The Hill School. He loved fishing, which he enjoyed with his sons, William and Frank ’75. They survive him as do his daughters, Jane and Marian; his wife, Jane; and four grandchildren. The class extends deep sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1946



Princeton, the worlds of medicine, philanthropy, and banking, and the Class of ’48 are all the lesser with the death of Tom Langfitt on Aug. 7, 2005.

Tom did it all. He was vice president of health affairs at Penn (as well as a world-class neurosurgeon), president of the Pew Charitable Trusts, and finally, president of the Glenmede Trust. He served as a charter trustee of Princeton from 1985 to 1995. In all of these endeavors he was held in highest esteem.

Tom’s medical focus was on head-injury programs at Penn. The walls of his office were crowded with certificates of scientific awards from all over the world.

Tom joined us from Mercerburg Academy. He ran track, was active in baseball, and was a member of the Glee Club. His home away from home was Cap and Gown. His medical degree was from Johns Hopkins in 1953.

Tom is survived by his wife of 52 years, Carolyn, who was a longtime member of the executive board of the Auxiliary of the McCosh Infirmary; sons David, John, and Frank ’86; and eight grandchildren. Tom was always a wonderful friend and great fun. His impish sense of humor persisted through the ups and downs of life.

The Class of 1948

S. Timothy Fiske ’50

Tim died of cancer in Wisconsin July 24, 2005. He was described as a man with a kind and gentle heart.

He came from the Blake School in Minneapolis to Princeton, where he belonged to Terrace Club and majored in biology. Upon graduation, he served three years as a naval officer, two aboard an aircraft carrier in Korean waters.

Upon mustering out, Tim intended to study law, but an invitation from friends to be a navigator on a sailboat lured him to the Caribbean. Eventually, he returned to Minnesota, where he taught and pursued graduate studies in zoology at the University of Minnesota.

Tim then embarked upon a career in archaeology, working in Guatemala, Winnipeg, and Ecuador. He successively taught at the University of Manitoba, was chief archaeologist for the Minnesota Historical Society, and was curator of the Anthropology and Science Museum of Minnesota. In the mid-1970s he and his wife, Carol, had a midlife adventure converting a 1716 fort on Portugal’s Algarve coast into a successful restaurant.

Returning to Minneapolis in 1977, Tim joined the staff of the Minneapolis Institute of Fine Arts, where he was associate director and chief operating officer until his retirement in 1996.

Our condolences go to Carol, his wife of 41 years; their five children; his brother and sisters; 11 grandchildren; and his great-grandson.

The Class of 1950



Gary died May 20, 2005, in Duxbury, Mass., of congestive heart failure.

Born July 7, 1929, in New York City, he came to us from Ridgewood (N.J.) High School. At Princeton he earned a bachelor’s in chemical engineering and was a member of the American Institute of Engineers, the Engineering Society, the Republican Club, and Campus Club. He roomed with Robert Brenner, Richard Hershey, Harry Koch, E.W. Wilkins, and A.P. Davis.

Gary was a process engineer with M.W. Kellogg Ltd. from 1951 to 1963, taking time out for a tour of duty as a Navy lieutenant from 1953 to 1956. He began working with the Badger Co. in 1963, starting in the United States, then transferring to the Netherlands and to England, before returing here as manager of process engineering in 1972. By 1978 the Herrins had returned to The Hague, and in 1993 Gary retired when Badger was acquired by Raytheon.

Gary married Caroline Biddle James in 1957. She and their four children, Mimi McCarthy, John, Kenneth, and Janet Partridge, survive him, as do seven grandchildren and his sister, Barbara, wife of Sam Ertel ’53.

The Class of 1951



Jim died of prostate cancer April 19, 2005, in Richmond, Va. He was the son of James F. Oates ’21.

A graduate of Phillips Exeter, he was a biology major at Princeton and a member of the Pre-Med Society and Tower Club. He graduated in 1955 from Cornell University Medical School and interned in the Department of Surgery at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Brookline, Mass.

Jim was in the Army Medical Corps from 1957 to 1959 at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. In 1960 he started his residency at the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond, and later began a general surgery practice there until 1988, when he retired. He was a sole practitioner for many of those years; during that time he performed 7,700 major surgical procedures without being sued, which he felt was largely a result of having talked regularly and often with his patients. This resulted four years ago in the funding and promoting of a course in communicative skills at Cornell Medical School.

Jim married Joan Olmsted in 1953. She survives him together with their four children, Chris, David, Katie, and Tony, and nine grandchildren.

The Class of 1951



One of our most beloved and popular classmates, Will died of complications from Parkinson’s disease July 18, 2005, in Albuquerque, N.M. He will long be remembered for his winning, infectious smile and his warm friendliness to all of us who were privileged to have known him.

Will was born in Oneida, N.Y., on June 29, 1929. After graduating from Oneida High School, he matriculated at Princeton, where he played on our undefeated football team and majored in history. He was also captain of the baseball team, a class officer, a member of Cannon Club, and a roommate of John Titman, Porky Clark, and John Groome.

After graduation, Will served two years in the Air Force and had a short career in professional baseball, after which he received a master’s in history from Colgate. Will then began a teaching career at various secondary schools until, at 30, he was bitten by the quixotic bug – he joined the Peace Corps, and thus began his lifelong passion of championing the cause of the poor and the oppressed.

Will continued working for various organizations for many years, but later worked more often on his own. His vocation took him to many countries, but mainly to Central and South America. Along the way he gained a massive family of friends, fought for peace and justice, and dispensed tender loving care everywhere.

He is survived by his sister, Betsy; his brother-in-law, Dr. Jack Raycroft; and several nieces and nephews. Will, your moral point of view and your unselfish good works have made us proud – you will be sorely missed, but long remembered.

The Class of 1951

The Class of 1951



Paul died Feb. 25, 2005, in Cherry Hill, N.J. He had suffered a debilitating stroke in 1995.

The son of Frank R. Shuman ’22, Paul graduated from Downington (Pa.) High School, where he was recipient of the Bausch and Lomb Science Prize and a member of the National Honor Society. He served in the Army from 1944 to 1946 in the artillery, Tank Corps, and Air Corps. At Princeton, Paul was a chemistry major and active in WPRU, Tri-angle Club, and the photography and chemistry clubs. He also was a member of Prospect Club and roomed with Louis S. Mudge.

After working for five years at Atlantic Refining Co. as an analytical chemist, Paul spent the remainder of his career with Campbell Soup Co., primarily as a senior research chemist in process biochemistry.

In 1961 Paul and Geraldine “Gerry” Anderson were married. They had two children, Pamela and Paul J. “Jeff” ’87.

Paul is survived by Gerry and their children, three grandchildren, and his sister, Elizabeth Fleming. Memorial contributions may be made to the Cherry Hill Library Gift Fund.

The Class of 1951



George, whose major in geology was a springboard to his successful exploration and mining career, died of staph pneumonia followed by respiratory arrest in Spokane Valley, Wash., July 14, 2005.

He entered Princeton from Penn Charter, captained the freshman fencing team, played in the band, and joined Dial Lodge. Peter Enander, a roommate and groomsman when George married Elise Howland in 1958, remembers him as quiet and dignified with a humorous side. After finals senior year, George and some colleagues wondered what had happened to college pranks. Whereupon they went to Eno Hall, borrowed a stuffed elk from the museum, and placed it on a bench in 1979 Hall’s archway with a “Gotcha” sign tied to its tail.

After Army service and graduate courses at Harvard, George became a renowned geologist based in Canada with Consolidated Mining and Smelting (Cominco). He later worked for the company in Missouri, where he found the Magmont Mine, and finally in Washington. Among his achievements as Cominco chief geologist was the discovery and development of “Red Dog” Mine, the largest zinc/lead mine in North America.

Besides Elise, he is survived by son J. Michael, daughters Patricia Willebrand and Susan Skeen, and three grandchildren. George was a gracious, genuine, spiritual, and intellectual man, and we mourn his passing.

The Class of 1953


Joseph L. Castle II ’54

Joe died suddenly of heart failure Aug. 15, 2005, at St. Luke’s Hospital in Sun Valley, Idaho.

Born in Germantown, Pa., he attended Chestnut Hill Academy and the Lawrenceville School prior to Princeton. He majored in English, belonged to many campus organizations, and was president of Cap and Gown Club and manager of the Undergraduate Football Office. He roomed with Richard Stevens, Steve Wentz, and Donald Rumsfeld.

Subsequent to graduation, Joe served in the Army Reserve and the Pennsylvania National Guard for six years. He received a certificate from the Amos Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College in 1961. During his professional career he was vice president of Philadelphia National Bank, of Butcher and Sheared Investment Bank, trustee for the Reading Co., and board member of Comcast. He also was governor of the Mayflower Society, and past president of the Philadelphia Lawn Tennis Association. In 1981, he formed Castle Energy. By 1987, it was the fastest growing company in its field.

As a class, we have lost one of our leaders. Joe is survived by his wife, Sallie; daughters Kathryn and Sallie; son Joseph L. III; and six grandchildren. We extend our sympathy to them in their loss.

The Class of 1954


James A. Schuck ’57

Jim died June 29, 2005, in Boise, Idaho.

He was born in Pennsylvania and raised in Corning, N.Y. At Princeton, Jim majored in geological engineering, joined Court Club, and participated in crew, WPRB, AIME, and The Four.

Upon graduating, Jim earned an MBA at New York University. He worked on Wall Street with Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, and Chase Bank. He was a Russian linguist with the Army, rising to the rank of sergeant. Later he moved to Idaho, joining the First Security Bank as vice president. He retired in 1998.

Jim was a final professed Third Order Dominican, a fourth-degree Knight of Columbus, and the Faithful Navigator of the DeSmet General Assembly 4th Degree of Boise. He resided in Eagle, Idaho, becoming a charter member of the American Legion of Eagle. He especially enjoyed gardening, reading, and the study of history.

Jim leaves his wife, Kathleen; a brother, Charles; and many friends; and the Blessed Margaret of Castello Dominican community.

The Class of 1957


David Alton Conway ’60 *67

David died March 25, 2005.

He earned his bachelor’s and doctoral degrees in philosophy from Princeton. As an undergraduate, he was a member of Tower Club and had 11 roommates, of whom he often spoke fondly.

From 1970 to 2000, David was an associate professor of philosophy at the University of Missouri, St. Louis. During his tenure there, he served as chairman of the department, published many academic papers, and co-authored the popular logic textbook, The Elements of Reasoning, now in its fourth printing. Prior to that he taught at Rollins College in Winter Park, Fla. After retiring in 2000, he returned to Jacksonville Beach, Fla., where he was born and raised.

David is survived by his son, Andrew; daughter Amy; their spouses; and his grandchildren, Gemma Kapner Conway, Luca David Capeci, and Virginia Elizabeth Capeci.

The Class of 1960


Coleman Hicks ’65

Coleman died Aug. 3, 2004, of kidney cancer and a stroke.

He was born in Columbus, Ohio, and grew up in Mason City, Iowa. At Princeton he roomed with Bill Bradley, John Garber, Bill Kingston, and Bruce McMillen. He earned a law degree at Yale in 1968, worked at the Department of Justice, and served four years with the Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps, including teaching at the Naval Justice School in Newport, R.I. Coleman then became Henry Kissinger’s personal assistant, leaving shortly before the Watergate break-in for a partnership at Covington & Burling, where he worked from 1972 to 1979 and from 1981 to 1995. From 1979 to 1981 he was general counsel of the Navy under President Carter.

In 1995 he moved to Boston as an executive at Oak Industries, a maker of telecommunications equipment. He was active in pro bono work while in private practice, including teaching at Howard University.

He is survived by his wife of 36 years, Jutta Bielefeldt Hicks; daughter Toni ’94; son Christian ’97; his father, Jack W. Hicks; and brother James. To them, the class extends heartfelt sympathy and condolences on the loss of this remarkable lawyer and public servant — a Princetonian’s Princetonian, who also did not take himself too seriously but provided serious value to all who worked with him and knew him.

The Class of 1965



Doug died Dec. 25, 2004.

Born in Hot Springs, Va., Doug came to Princeton from the Lawrenceville School. He rowed freshman heavyweight crew, studied pre-med, and was a member of Charter Club. Most of all, Doug liked to laugh. His roommates and close friends included Gene Brissie, Wayne Smith, and Jim Todd, and Dave Updegraff ’74. After Princeton Doug studied biochemistry at Penn State and earned a medical degree from SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn. After his residency at the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, he practiced in Boiling Springs and Shelby, N.C., and in 1991 moved to Cornelius, N.C., where he was in the Lakeside Family Practice Group at the time of his death.

Doug was a sports enthusiast who enjoyed many years of coaching his sons’ teams, including several champion soccer teams, and pursued tennis and daily jogging. He received numerous professional honors and awards for medical service to his North Carolina community.

Doug is survived by his wife, Robin Stern Briggs, whom he wed in 1977; sons Charles Samuel and Andrew Michael; a brother, Frank Briggs; a sister, Kingsley Eaton; and their families. The class sends its condolences to them and to Doug’s many friends.

The Class of 1972


David Dawes Nee II ’98

Dave, in his third year of law school, took his own life June 22, 2005, at his apartment in Manhattan. He was 29.

Born in Hong Kong and reared there and in Rye, N.Y., Dave came to Princeton from the Loomis Chaffee School. At Princeton he earned a degree in politics, and could often be found wryly holding court in “The Green Room” of Ivy Club, a refuge for smokers and philosophers.

In the years after college Dave assisted a classmate in producing Message in a Bubble, a documentary for public television about the fortunes and misfortunes of Internet entrepreneurs. He edited an online magazine devoted to commentary and contemporary fiction, and enrolled at the Fordham University School of Law. There, Dave participated in the school’s moot-court competition, and led his team to Fordham’s best performance ever, 18th in the world.

He is survived by his father, Owen Nee ’65; his mother, Amber; sister Claire Nee Nelson ’96 and brother-in-law Josh Nelson ’95; and sister Alexandra ’06. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them and to Dave’s many friends.

The Class of 1998


Graduate Alumni



George T. Reynolds, professor emeritus at Princeton and a leading physicist, died of cancer April 19 in Skillman, N.J. He was 87.

Reynolds graduated from Rutgers in 1939 and earned a Ph.D. in physics at Princeton. During World War II, he worked as a blast-effect specialist at Los Alamos.

In 1946, Reynolds returned to Princeton, where he laid the foundations for pioneering research as director of Princeton’s High Energy Physics Program from 1948 to1970. Reynolds was uniquely able to recognize important scientific problems and the individuals who could solve them. Three scientists recruited to his laboratories subsequently won Nobel prizes. Reynolds’ own contributions included the liquid scintillator, a device that made visible the track of an ionized particle. In the early 1970s he also opened up the new field of biophysics by applying image intensification techniques to biological and diagnostic observations.

Reynolds held several fellowships at major British universities and elsewhere. He served on advisory panels for American universities, government agencies, and laboratories. An amateur musician, he also played violin and viola. He retired in 1987.

Reynolds leaves his wife of 61 years, Virginia; four sons, three of whom attended Princeton; and six grandchildren.

HAROLD D. GRESHAM *34, Economics and Social Institutions, Jan. 4, 2004

JAMES WESTON LIVINGOOD *37, History, April 3, 2005

This issue has undergraduate memorials for Richard L. Seggel ’36 *38, Willis Frederick Doney Jr. ’46 *49, and David Alton Conway ’60 *67.

FRANK RATHAUSER *37, Biology, April 25, 2005

RICHARD H. WISWALL JR. *41, Chemistry, Oct. 9, 2004

STANLEY D. IMBER *50, Psychology, June 9, 2005

VASCO J. FENILI *53, Woodrow Wilson School, May 6, 2005

MARTIN G. REDLICH *54, Physics, July 29, 2004

RICHARD L. WEST *54, Civil Engineering, July 22, 2003

STEDMAN B. NOBLE *56, Economics, Feb. 8, 2005

WILLIAM B. BROWNE *57, Aeronautical Engineering, Sept. 1, 2004

ROBIN J. SCROGGS *62, Religion, April 25, 2005

ROBERT C. WANG *78, Chemistry, Feb. 9, 2000

KENNETH MERRYMAN *90, History, May 25, 2004

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary