Have an opinion about this issue of PAW?
Click here for our online survey.

December 14, 2005: Memorials


John died Sept. 3, 2005, just two days shy of his 101st birthday, in Kennett Square, Pa.

Reportedly a Phi Beta Kappa, John prepared for Princeton at Kent School. At Princeton he was secretary of the senior council, class secretary/treasurer, and chairman of the undergraduate athletic/schools committees. He was a member of the prom committee, secretary of the Intracollegiate Athletic Committee and Ivy Club, a member of Whig Hall, and manager of the baseball team. His class voted him one of the most respected, best all-round classmates outside of athletics, most thorough gentleman, hardest worker, and most likely to succeed.

After graduation, John continued serving Princeton and his class. He served as Annual Giving agent and class president, secretary, treasurer, and reunion chairman. He was awarded the silver cane as the oldest returning alumnus at his 75th reunion in 2000.

Outside of Princeton, John was an accomplished tennis player and avid fox hunter. He was director of the foreign relations department of DuPont, president of the Delaware Art Museum, and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He served on numerous boards.

Predeceased by a son, Marshall W. Jenney ’63, John is survived by his wife, Mary, a second son, John Jr., and several grandchildren. Paraphrasing a family member, John was orange and black through and through. Among the things he loved best during his life were Princeton and the Class of 1925.

The Class of 1925



Dave Blossom, 95, of Kiantone, N.Y., died Sept. 17, 2005, after a short illness.

He prepared at Salisbury School. His late brother, Warren Blossom, was in the Class of ’31. At Princeton he was freshman fencing manager and manager of Whig Hall. Sophomore, junior, and senior years he roomed with Levin L. Waters. After graduating from Princeton and from New York University School of Law in 1936, Dave was employed by the New York law firm of Alexander & Green.

From 1942 to 1946 he served in the Army, and in 1945 and 1946 he was an officer in the military government of Munich, Germany. In 1958 he retired from the Army Reserve as a colonel. He returned to Alexander & Green, where he remained until 1963, and practiced law from his Brooklyn Heights home until 1972.

Dave served four years as the town justice of Kiantone; served as president of the Jamestown (N.Y.) Bar association, receiving its first outstanding service award; and was instrumental in creating the Lucille Wright Air Museum. He was a generous supporter of many Jamestown-area charities.

In 1963, he married Margaret Brustrom, who predeceased him. He is survived by his sister, Julia P.B. Van Zanten, and numerous nephews and nieces, to whom the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1932



John died Feb. 4, 2005. He was 91.

He was born in Akron, Ohio, Sept. 25, 1913. He attended Western Reserve Academy, Asheville (N.C.) School, George Washington University, and graduated with honors in history from Princeton.

John served in the Army during World War II in the North African and Italian campaigns. After the war and until his retirement, he headed the sales department of the Anderson Rubber Co. He was a former member of the University Club of Akron, the Portage Country Club, and the Princeton Club of New York.

John is survived by nephews William Alexander Molster, John Anderson Molster, and Selden William Anderson; a niece, Nancy Shepard; and 10 grand-nieces and nephews.

The Class of 1937



Burch died Sept. 14, 2005, at his home in East Liverpool, Ohio, where he had been a lifelong resident and civic leader.

During World War II he served in the Army Air Corps as a major and squadron commander in the Army Airways Communications System in North Africa. Then he resumed what would be a 40-year career at the Homer Laughlin China Co., first as plant manager and then director of personnel and labor relations. But above all, Burch was a distinguished civic leader and a dedicated supporter of the city’s Thompson Park, where he served as president of the park board. He spearheaded a program to rebuild the swimming pool, later named in his honor.

He was a passionate supporter of East Liverpool and served as a member of the city’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Housing. He was active in the Rotary Club and was on the board of Carnegie Library. He also served on the session of Emmanuel Presbyterian Church. An avid fan of traditional jazz, he co-founded the Memory Lane Dance Club.

Burch was married for 57 years to Elizabeth Krise, who died in 2000. He is survived by their three children, Peter, Amy, and Mary, and six grandchildren. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939



Bal died Sept. 8, 2005.

Bal, or Connie, as his teammates knew him, prepared at Blair Academy. He graduated from Princeton with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. He distinguished himself in football and was named All-Ivy League and All-American.

After serving in several managerial positions at General Electric from 1940 to 1961, he came to Franklin Electric of Canada in Bluffton, Ind., as a vice president of engineering and manufacturing. He went on to become president, CEO, and chairman of the board.

Bal was active in a number of technical and industry associations, writing technical papers and receiving patents. He also served on the boards of Lincoln National Bank and Caylor-Nickel Research Foundation, and was listed in Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in the World. He was a member of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Bluffton. Golf was his sport of later years and photography his hobby.

He is survived by his wife of 58 years, the former Margaret Holohan; two daughters, Catherine Balentine-Mueller and Anne Margaret Balentine; and six grandchildren. Bal’s classmates extend their sincere sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1940



Al died June 21, 2005, in Greenwich (Conn.) Hospital, where he served on the board for 25 years, including terms as treasurer and president.

A graduate of Brooklyn Polytechnic School, he majored in psychology at Princeton. Al was on the freshman swimming and lacrosse teams, and later was an All-American on the varsity lacrosse team. He served in ROTC and joined Tiger Inn. His roommates included Coakley, Eberle, Gaylord, George Harper, Hixon, Janney, Shenk, and Howie Smith.

Al served five years with the 186th Field Artillery Battalion, going in on Omaha Beach, fighting across Europe, and ending on V-E Day in Czechoslovakia. He was awarded a Bronze Star and separated as a captain.

After Columbia Law School, he joined a Wall Street law firm but left after two years to become an executive of American Brakeshoe Corp., where he spent 13 years (12 of them in Switzerland). He moved to Perkin Elmer as general counsel, retiring as vice president of finance in 1984.

Al served on several boards and kept up his skiing, sailing, and tennis well past his 80th birthday. He is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Adelaide Celina Rickert; sons Alfred III and Peter ’70; daughters Celina Kersh, Anne Sabra, and Mary Bennett ’81, and 15 grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Beas died peacefully at home in New Hope, Pa., Aug. 6, 2005.

One of our most loyal classmates, he came from Lawrenceville, majored in engineering, joined Charter Club, and roomed with Merritt Lane. In 1942, he enlisted in the Army, went through OCS, and joined the Fifth Armored Division. He fought through the European theater, was awarded a Bronze Star, and separated as a captain.

Beas then joined the Goodall Rubber Co., and in 1957 was made president and chairman of the board. He served on the board of New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Co., was chairman of the New Jersey Business and Industry Association, and campaign chairman of the Delaware Valley United Fund. In addition, he was on the board of Mercer Medical Center, served as director of the Rubber Manufacturers Association and New Jersey National Bank, and was a member of the New Jersey Employment Security Council.

An avid golfer and fly fisherman, Beas was a member of Trenton Country Club, Pine Valley Golf Club, and the Hartwood (N.Y.) Club. Beas was predeceased by his wife of 55 years, Katherine Stryer Williamson. He is survived by his son, Frederick B. IV; daughters Katherine Pickett and Marsha Gallo; six grandchildren; one great-grandchild; and his friend, Constance Tate.

The Class of 1941



Bill died Aug. 1, 2005, after a brief illness.

He was born in Floral Park, N.Y., Feb. 11, 1920. He was student body president of St. Paul’s School in Garden City. At Princeton, he roomed with Dick Duncan and was a member of Tower Club. In his younger years he was an avid jazz drummer. After college he became a pilot with Pan American Airways and was among the first to fly the Pan Am Clipper flying boats.

During World War II he served as a pilot for the Air Transport Command, providing logistic support by air in the European theater.

Following the war, Bill continued as a commercial pilot for TWA. In 1950, he entered the family insurance business, the William A. Wright Agency in Floral Park, which he owned and operated until 1984. He was a founder of the Floral Park Little League in 1953, and was an active member of the Floral Park Lions Club and Freeport Yacht Club.

In 1994, Bill and his wife moved from Garden City to the retirement community of Heritage Harbour in Annapolis, Md. He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Patricia Duff Wright; his daughters, Sandra Wright Kind and Cynthia Ann Wright, son William Allyn Wright Jr., and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Kim Hartshorne of Bay Point Harbor in Point Pleasant, N.J., died July 26, 2005, in Ocean Medical Center. He was 85.

A talented musician and composer, Kim began playing the piano at 6. By his mid-teens he had written the music and lyrics for several musical productions in his hometown of Rumson, N.J., and at St. Paul’s School in Concord, N.H. He left Princeton at the end of our sophomore year.

During World War II, Kim became a cryptographer with the Signal Service Unit of the Ninth Army. By dint of their insightful deciphering of messages between German panzer units in the Battle of the Bulge, Kim and a colleague were awarded the Bronze Star.

After the war Kim became a professional pianist and entertainer in Manhattan until he left music for banking and retired as vice president of the Livingston National Bank in 1988. He will be remembered for his avocation — writing delightful songs for the annual Bay Head (N.J.) Yacht Club show, “Bay Head Bubbles.”

Kim loved his family and said he was proud of his “good wife (Tina) who works hard and successfully in real estate.”

Kim is survived by Tina; his son, Christopher; two grandchildren; and two brothers, Robert and Nathaniel. To them, the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1942



After a lengthy illness, Hank died Sept. 23, 2005, in Vero Beach, Fla., where he and his second wife, Suzanne, spent the last several years. For most of his life he lived in St. Louis, where he graduated from St. Louis Country Day School.

At Princeton Hank majored in psychology. He was a member of Triangle Club, Tower Club, and president of the St. Louis Club. Upon graduation he entered World War II military service in the Army Field Artillery, served in the Philippines, and was discharged as a captain.

Hank’s business career was in printing and graphic arts. He rose from salesman to president of the family enterprise, Keeler-Morris Printing Co. He also was president of the Graphic Arts Center of St. Louis. In 1987, after 40 years with Keeler-Morris, he turned the helm over to his successor. A year later he retired and was elected chairman of the board of the Graphic Arts Center.

Hank was the longest-serving member of the board of Central Institute for the Deaf in St. Louis. He was active in the Boy Scouts, United Way, and president of the Practical Nurse Foundation Council.

The class extends its condolences to Suzanne; Hank’s children, Anne and Claire; his three stepchildren; grandchild Claire Evans; and two great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1942



Jack died on Aug. 9, 2005, following a valiant six-year battle against prostate cancer. He was 85.

A New Hampshire native, Jack grew up in New Rochelle, N.Y. After graduating from Princeton summa cum laude in 1943, he served in the Navy during World War II as an aviator and instructor.

A graduate of Harvard Business School’s Executive Program, Jack married June Kennedy in 1949, and moved briefly to Chicago before settling in Irvington, N.Y. He began his career in Chicago as a sales executive for Deering Miliken, and later worked with his brother, Bob, as a commodity trader/broker, in New York City.

In 1956, Jack began a 26-year association with Time Inc., retiring in 1982 as advertising sales director. In retirement, Jack worked for Financial World magazine.

Jack is survived by his wife, June; three daughters, Nancy, Amy, and Jenny; two grandchildren; a sister, Marilyn Cranston; and several nieces and nephews. To the entire family, we extend our most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1943



Lionel died in Ocean Grove, N.J., Aug. 16, 2005. He was 88.

Information about Lionel is sparse at best. We do know that he was considered the Class of 1943 poet. He wrote, starred in, and directed Theatre Intime productions. In addition, he was an award-winning poet in the post-college world, and tried his hand at playwriting and fiction. In his earlier days, he was considered one of the Ford Modeling Agency’s top 10 models.

Surviving are his dear friends, Nellie Hixon, Nancy and Ben Oliphant, Patricia Hogan-Fisher, and his nurse’s aide, George. Assuredly, they will all miss Lionel’s friendly smiles and conversations. We extend our condolences.

The Class of 1943



Dick died Aug. 29, 2005, in Needham, Mass., not far from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he was revered as an inspiring head of the humanities department, a mentor to two generations of junior faculty, and a historian with a maverick intellect.

Born in Cleveland, he prepped at the University School. At Princeton, he played freshman football, was a member of the Freshman Governing Council, and later of the Glee Club and Cottage Club. Dick’s roommates included John Eide and Dick LeBlond. He earned a degree in history, rose to captain in the Marine Corps in just three years, then earned master’s and doctoral degrees from Harvard. He was a Fulbright scholar in France, specializing in medieval and Renaissance history.

Dick taught at Wooster, Brown, and Amherst before his appointment as chairman of the MIT Department of Humanities in 1962. Retiring in 1991, he served as a member of the Newton (Mass.) School Committee. Writing in our 50th-reunion directory, Dick marveled at the extraordinary events of our era and our broad range of achievements, concluding that our class had “lived historically.”

Our appreciation of him goes to his wife, Mary; sons Samuel W., Andrew S. and David M.; a granddaughter, Sara, and three stepsons.

The Class of 1944



Charlie died May 4, 2005, after an extended struggle with emphysema.

Charlie entered Princeton from Deerfield Academy and stayed with us for a very short time, leaving to matriculate at the Naval Academy in Annapolis and then serving as an ensign on the battleship USS New York in the Pacific theater. As a Navy officer he was involved with atomic bomb testing on Bikini and Kwajalein islands, and was recalled for service during the Korean conflict.

Charlie earned a master’s from New York University and later attended the Graduate School of Banking at Rutgers University. In 1946 he married the former Elaine “Bunny” Davis and joined People’s Trust Co. in Hackensack, N.J., his native city. He then joined Morgan Guaranty Trust Co. in New York City and retired as a vice president of J.P. Morgan Bank.

Charlie and Bunny retired to Amelia Island, Fla., in 1999. In addition to his wife, Charlie is survived by his sons, Charles IV and David E. Blackford; his daughter, Cynthia Blackford Gropp s’76; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Frank died Aug. 10, 2005.

Frank prepared for Princeton at Columbia High in South Orange, N.J., and, along with roommates Rudy Eberstadt, Breck Stringer, and Monte Van Norden, joined Quadrangle Club. Frank accelerated his studies and received his Princeton degree in 1945, and then earned a medical degree from Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia in 1949. He completed several general-surgical residencies in New York at Bellevue and St. Vincent’s hospitals, and completed his military requirement at an Army hospital at Camp Pickett, Va., in 1952.

His distinguished 40-year career included staff appointments in New York and New Jersey, where he served as chief of surgery at Riverview in Red Bank from 1980 to 1985. In addition to military service in World War II and Korea, he was a volunteer surgeon through Project Vietnam from 1965 to 1966.

Frank is survived by his wife of 33 years, the former Susan Kleinhans, the daughter, sister, and niece of no fewer than four Princetonians; sons Frank, Mark, and Peter; daughter Alison McHeffey; stepsons Carl and Stephen deGersdoff; stepdaughter Susan Stamos; his sisters, Patricia Newhouse and Mary Kay Arliss; and seven grandchildren. The class expresses sympathy to all.

The Class of 1945



Sam died of heart failure July 24, 2005. He was 77.

He prepared for Princeton at Jenkintown (Pa.) High School. Sam majored in history at Princeton and was a member of Quadrangle Club, but withdrew in the second semester of his senior year. Sam served as class secretary from 1959 to 1961.

Sam’s post-Princeton career was in the field of public relations. He started his career with the Thomas Cook Travel Agency. He served as vice president of the Insurance Co. of North America, and was president and a founder of Boggs Chung Inc., a corporate communications consulting firm, from 1986 until his retirement. Sam loved to cook, enter-tain, and host theme parties. Many classmates enjoyed his hospitality over the years.

Sam was not married. He is survived by a sister-in-law, Ruth Maroney, and three nieces, Donna Boggs, Linden Adams, and Cherry Boggs. The class extends its sincere sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949



Carl, who had been in poor health for several years, died April 15, 2005. He was 79.

Carl prepared at Bethlehem (Pa.) High School, and at Princeton majored in electrical engineering. Carl was on the varsity football team. He served in the Navy as an aviation cadet during World War II.

Carl spent 39 years as a sales engineer with General Electric Co. in Allentown before retiring in 1986. He enjoyed music and tuned pianos as an avocation after retirement. Carl was very active in his church and in a group that tried to interest high school students in scientific careers. He enjoyed active sports throughout his life.

He and his wife, Elizabeth, who survives him, would have celebrated their 49th wedding anniversary a week after his death. He is also survived by a son, David, a daughter, Karen Leibert Forsman, and two grandchildren. The class has missed Carl’s presence at class events for a number of years due to his poor health, and shares with his family the loss of this dedicated gentleman.

The Class of 1949



Chuck died Aug. 13, 2005. He was 81.

He prepared for Princeton at Charleston (W. Va.) High School and served in the Navy during World War II in the Pacific theater. At Princeton he majored in economics and graduated with high honors and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He was on the 150-pound crew and a member of Theatre Intime and Dial Lodge.

After graduation Chuck earned a law degree at Stanford. After two years of service as a deputy district attorney for the state of California, he went into private practice in the Sacramento area until his retirement. He was active in civic affairs and served as president of a number of organizations, including the Legal Aid Society and the Catholic Youth Organization.

Chuck is survived by his wife, Barbara; a son, Gregory; daughter Lisa Miller Vassios; and three grandchildren. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them in their loss.

The Class of 1949



Following several years of declining health, Phil died of heart failure at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston Feb. 16, 2005. His memorial service was in the Church of the Redeemer, where he had served twice on the vestry.

Bayard Henry ’53 described Phil as a “revolutionary” for his conviction that all children, regardless of ability to pay, deserved adequate health care. Having trained at the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard medical schools, Phil identified the need and the vehicle for providing pediatric health care: using public schools, taking good medicine into the community, and staffing by nurse-practitioners and supervising pediatricians.

With a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Phil launched the Healthy Children Program, which established health centers in 24 high schools in 14 cities. In 1987 Phil received the William A. Howe Award, the highest honor bestowed by the American School Health Association. Loved and revered by family and friends, Phil was described by his wife, Sally, as a “pied piper” among children, especially his grandchildren, and a true gentleman.

He is survived by Sally; three children, Brooks, Cynthia ’80, and Philip; and seven grandchildren. The class extends to them our deepest condolences.

The Class of 1952



Steve, who spent his childhood in Denver and graduated from Taft in 1953 as the salutatorian of his class, died Sept. 2, 2005.

At Princeton he was active in music and theater, particularly in the Triangle Club, where he sang, acted, and composed music. He also was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He was trained in classical piano but had a wonderful ear and great interest in music of all types. Throughout his lifetime he remained active in the arts.

After Princeton, he spent time in Washington, D.C., and Paris, cultivating his love for international life before joining Squibb’s international division as a marketing professional. He met his wife, Vibeke Egebo, in Beirut, Lebanon. They subsequently lived in Lebanon, Kenya, Peru, Venezuela, Indonesia, Italy, India, and Morocco.

After a lifetime abroad, Steve decided to retire to Portland, Ore., in 1997 to be closer to his family. He pursued his passion for gardening and the arts, and continued to travel until 2004. Steve fought a courageous battle with lung cancer and died peacefully at home with his family by his side. Those of us who knew him remember his gentleness, kindness, and his love for family, friends, and music.

Steve is survived by Vibeke; son Alex; daughter Helen ’92; and grandchildren Ian, Bronwyn, Charlotte, and Eleanor.

The Class of 1957



Norm died of a heart attack May 13, 2005, at his home in Scarsdale, N.Y.

At Princeton, Norm majored in mechanical engineering, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and graduated magna cum laude. He won three varsity basketball letters and belonged to Cannon Club. He later earned a master’s in mechanical engineering from Stanford.

In 1969 Norm became a founding partner in the engineering firm of Flack & Kurtz. He led his company to become a global leader in mechanical and electrical engineering. Some of its major building projects included the World Financial Center, The New York Times building, and the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur. In 2000 Flack & Kurtz was acquired by the WSP Group of London,

but Norm remained as chairman of the U.S. subsidiary.

For 22 years he was adjunct professor at the School of Architecture at Princeton and provided engineering services for several campus building projects. Norm lectured at MIT, Harvard Graduate School of Design, Columbia, and Cornell. He was an ASHRAE Fellow and a member of the Council on Tall Buildings.

Norm is survived by his wife, Honey; daughters Lori ’89 and Stephanie Pierce; brother Barry; and sister Judy Polcer s’58. The class extends to them its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1958



Kevin died from an apparent heart attack May 3, 2005, in Irvine, Calif. He was 40.

Kevin was born in Macon, Ga., and moved to California after his father died. He graduated with highest honors from Woodbridge High School in Irvine, and he was Irvine’s first inductee into the Scholar-Athlete Hall of Fame.

At Princeton, Kevin majored in molecular biology and played freshman and varsity football. He was co-captain of Princeton’s 1986 football team. After Princeton, Kevin received a medical degree from UCLA, where he also completed an orthopedic-surgery residency. He later completed a sports and a shoulder orthopedic surgery fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh, while also serving as the assistant team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers football team and the Pitt men’s basketball team. For the past five years, Kevin was an orthopedic surgeon at the UC-Irvine Medical Center.

Kevin won the televised American Gladiators competition. In 2002, he was one of People magazine’s “America’s Top 50 Bachelors.” Kevin was loved for his charismatic leadership, positive attitude, booming voice, and crushing hugs. As a doctor, Kevin wasn’t a healer because he had a degree, but rather, because that was who he was.

Kevin is survived by his mother, Kathryn Dean Armstrong, brothers Byron and Dwayne, and his sister, Karen. To them, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1987


Graduate Alumni


Gen. Andrew J. Goodpaster, NATO commander and West Point superintendent, died May 16, 2005, in Washington, D.C. at the age of 90. The cause was prostate cancer.

Both soldier and scholar, Goodpaster graduated second in his class from West Point in 1939. During World War II he fought in North Africa and Italy, earning many medals, including the Distinguished Service Cross.

In the late 1940s Goodpaster studied at Princeton, earning degrees in civil engineering and politics. During the next 15 years he served at the Pentagon, at Allied headquarters in Europe, and as adviser to President Eisenhower. Subsequently, he was deputy commander of American forces in Vietnam and NATO commander from 1969 to 1974, retiring from that position as a four-star general. In 1977 he came out of retirement to lead West Point through the aftermath of a cheating scandal. He sought to temper student hazing, strengthen the school’s liberal-arts offerings, and ease the admission of women cadets. He retired again in 1981.

At work on his memoirs when he died, Goodpaster leaves behind his wife, Dorothy, two daughters, and seven grandchildren.



Pi-Chao Chen, Taiwanese patriot and politician, died March 25, 2005, in intensive care in a hospital in Taipei.

In 1961 Chen left his homeland for study in the U.S. At the time, the Nationalist government, installed by mainland Chinese in the aftermath of World War II, actively repressed the Taiwanese independence movement both on the island and abroad. As a member of that movement, Chen expected never to return to his native country. He attended Wayne State University, earned a Ph.D. in politics at Princeton, and thereafter taught for many years at Wayne State.

In the last decades of the 20th century, however, the Taiwanese democratic movement gained in popular support and eventually achieved political victory. Chen returned to Taiwan to immerse himself in government affairs, first as national security adviser and then as vice minister of defense. His tenure in this last position coincided with a Chinese military buildup across the Taiwan Strait — warning that China still laid claim to eventual reunification with Taiwan. Failing health forced him to step down in 2001.

Chen is survived by his two sons, David and Levi, who remember him as a dedicated scholar and dreamer.


PAUL R. CHESEBRO *27, Chemistry, June 20, 2005

FRANCIS J. CROWLEY *31, Modern Languages and Literature, Aug. 13, 2005

A. JAN P. LaRUE *42, Music, Oct. 17, 2004

ANDREW L. KELEMEN *50, Economics, Sept. 18, 2005

STEDMAN B. NOBLE *56, Economics, Feb. 8, 2005

ROBERT E. KNAPP *54, Woodrow Wilson School, April 26, 2005

RICHARD L. WEST *54, Civil Engineering, July 22, 2003

EDWARD R. HINDMAN *55, Civil Engineering, Sept. 12, 2005

LOUIS O. NICOLAYSEN *55, Geology, June 25, 2005

WILLIAM B. BROWNE *57, Aeronautical Engineering, Sept. 1, 2004

CHARLES W. McCASKILL *57, Oriental Languages and Literature, Aug. 13, 2005

PETER ANDRU *58, Civil Engineering, June 9, 2005

CARL E. HELM *59, Psychology, Aug. 24, 2005

JAMES M. EVANS *62, Architecture, Sept. 26, 2005

ROBIN J. SCROGGS *62, Religion, April 25, 2005

ALBERT C. KYSER *71, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, June 13, 2005

STEPHEN A. SALMORE *72, Politics, Sept. 25, 2005

SHEAU-SUEY LI *75 *81, Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Feb. 2, 2005

ROBERT C. WANG *78, Chemistry, Feb. 9, 2000

KENNETH MERRYMAN *90, History, May 25, 2004



Philip Franklin Patman, a distinguished attorney, died of heart failure Feb.5, 2005, in Austin, Texas. He was 67.

A native Texan, Patman graduated from the University of Texas in 1959, earned a master’s in history from Princeton, and returned to his alma mater for a law degree in 1964. He began his career in Washington with the Department of State, soon moving to the Department of Housing and Urban Development as deputy director of the office of international affairs. In 1969, he returned to Austin to practice energy regulatory law. Over the next two and half decades, he served the state of Texas in various capacities on the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission (IOGCC), that regulatory body representing the interests of U.S. member states producing domestic oil and natural gas.

Patman also dedicated himself to community service, including advisory work for the University of Texas as well as membership on the board of directors of the Austin Symphony Orchestra Society. He and his wife, Katherine Sellers Patman, enjoyed foreign travel and visited more than 130 countries on all seven continents of the world.

Patman leaves behind his wife, a son, a daughter, and a granddaughter.

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary