February 15, 2006: From the Archives
Dressing for dinner was business as usual when these students were photographed Feb. 12, 1940, in the Elm Club dining hall. Founded in 1895, Elm rented a house on Bayard Lane until 1901, when a proper clubhouse was built at 58 Prospect St. In 1990, Elm merged with Dial Lodge and Cannon Club to form one club called DEC. Princeton assumed ownership of the Dial and Elm buildings in 1998 (the Cannon building was acquired in 1975 and renamed Notestein Hall) when DEC closed, long after ties and jackets were required at dinner. The Elm building is awaiting restoration by the University.