September 27, 2006: Memorials


Charlie Hascall, who, following graduation from Harvard Medical School, spent 35 years as a Navy medical officer specializing in pathology, died Jan. 28, 2006, two months before his 93rd birthday, it has just been learned.

He served in a number of Naval hospitals, from Chelsea, Mass., to San Francisco and Beaufort, S.C. During the Korean War he served in Japan and, as he later wrote, “came to like the country and the people very much.”

In retirement Charlie indulged his lifelong interest in automobiles, of which he owned several older ones, including three Bugattis (“No,” he wrote, “they’re French, not Italian”). He also enjoyed doing his own house maintenance, yard work, etc.

“I’ve been happy,” he wrote in 1984, “and it has been a good life. Frustrations, sadness, disappointment, of course, but by and large it has been productive, gratifying, and enjoyable.”

The Class of 1934


Bill Rea, who was born in Pittsburgh, grew up in its environs, and was named Pittsburgh’s Man of the Year in 1966, died May 15, 2006, two months after a mammoth 94th birthday party shared with his lifelong friend, Josh Billings ’33 (two days older). For the last several years, because of macular degeneration, Bill was virtually blind.

In 1968, when Pennsylvania’s governor named Bill chairman of the State Board of Education’s Council on Higher Education, he was already president and director of the Oliver Tyrone Corp. and director of several other corporations, as well as president of the University of Pittsburgh’s board of trustees, a member of the board of the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, and an alumni trustee of Princeton (during the adoption of coeducation). A local paper observed, “It’s been said of William H. Rea that more Pittsburghers can recognize him in terms of his civic activity than by his business accomplishments, considerable as they are.” Bill won our class Award for Outstanding Achievement in 1966 for “civic interest and community responsibility.”

Bill was married to Ingrid Shellabarger in 1936. She died in 2003. Surviving are a son, Samuel S. ’61, four daughters, and several grandchildren.

The Class of 1934


W. Bond Dashiell Jr. ’36

Bond, a lifelong resident of Memphis, Tenn., died June 6, 2005.

A graduate of the Lawrenceville School, he majored in history at Princeton and was a member of Key and Seal.

While serving four years in the Army during World War II, Bond received several battle stars for action in northern France and central Germany. He received training in military government at Harvard and in England. He served in that capacity in Belgium and Germany near the end of the war, at which time he held the rank of captain.

After he returned home, Bond operated the W.B. Dashiell Company as a broker of cottonseed, soybeans, and fertilizer materials. He was involved in community service activities associated with his business background. He was also a member of the University Club of Memphis and was on the board of Mid-South Bible College.

Bond never married. He is survived by his nieces, Anne W. Large and Kate Maynard, and a nephew, Fletcher Maynard.

The Class of 1936


Arthur F. Davies Jr. ’36

Art died Jan. 11, 2006. He was 92 and a longtime resident of Wilton, Conn.

He prepared at Montclair (N.J.) High School and the Salisbury (Conn.) School. At Princeton he majored in political science and was a member of Tower Club. In 1938 he graduated from Harvard Business School.

Art served in the Army Quartermaster Corps from 1942 to 1946, spending his last three years in the Quartermaster General’s office in Washington, where he rose in rank to captain. He was awarded the Army Commendation Ribbon.

Art’s business career included positions at the Bank of New York as security analyst; at National Fire Insurance Co. of Hartford, Conn., where he served as treasurer during his last few years; and finally, at Union Trust Co. in Stamford, Conn. (which became Wachovia Bank), as a senior vice president and later consultant. He retired in 1978.

He is survived by his wife, the former Eleanor Simler, whom he married in 1947; a son, Robert C.; a daughter, Mary Ellen Davies Soukup; five grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

The Class of 1936


Robert E. Erler ’36

Bob died Jan. 16, 2006. He was 89 and lived in Lakewood, N.J.

A graduate of Barringer High School in Newark, N.J., he majored in biology at Princeton. In 1940 he graduated from the Columbia School of Physicians and Surgeons.

During World War II he served in the Army Medical Corps, the first two years at the Camp Kilmer (N.J.) Station Hospital and the last two years on the hospital ship John J. Meaney out of the New York Port of Embarkation. It sailed in the French and German theaters.

After the war he practiced medicine in South Orange and Maplewood, N.J., until 1984. He was a past president of the Orange Mountain Medical Society.

His first wife, Ottilie K. Erler, died in 1970. Bob is survived by his wife, the former Jane E. Holmes; a son, David R.; a daughter, Catherine E. Beardsley; two grandchildren; and two step-grandchildren.

The Class of 1936


James H. Keet Jr. ’36

Jim, a lifelong resident of Springfield, Mo., died June 8, 2005. He was 91.

A graduate of the Lawrenceville School, he majored in English at Princeton and was a member of Campus Club. He also graduated from Harvard Law School.

In his early days he was a vestryman of the Christ Episcopal Church. In 1941, Jim married Virginia E. “Sis” Doggett.

During World War II he served two years in the European theater. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was awarded the Bronze Star, along with several other battle stars. Jim began as a private and retired from active duty as a first lieutenant. After the war he served more than three decades in the Army Reserve Corps and attained the rank of lieutenant colonel.

After practicing law with the firm of Springer, Haseltine, Keet for 26 years, he was appointed to the circuit court until his 70th birthday in 1984. He later served as a senior judge until he was 83.

Jim is survived by his sons, James Calvin Keet and James Holland Keet III; six grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

The Class of 1936


David Roberts III ’36

Dave died Dec. 19, 2005. He was 92.

A graduate of The Hill School, he majored in economics at Princeton, rowed on the varsity lightweight crew, and was a member of Cap and Gown.

In 1943 he married Cecil M. Johnson, who was born in England. She and Dave were prominent supporters of the theater and arts in Birmingham, Ala. In 1956 she was named Birmingham’s woman of the year and was featured in Life magazine.

Dave served in the Navy from 1941 to 1945. He was a member of the crew of the USS South Dakota as a combat pilot in the Pacific theater. In 1945 he was released with the rank of lieutenant.

In 1945 Dave became manager of the Brilliant Coal Co., which he served as president from 1951 to 1974. The company was sold in 1974.

He is survived by his sons, David IV and Robin W.; a daughter, Sharon Martin; and grandchildren David V and Kathryn J. Roberts.

The Class of 1936

George Harrison Houston Jr. ’37

Harry died suddenly April 23, 2006, in Louisville, Ky., after returning from a cruise to Holland and Belgium.

He came to Princeton from The Hill School, where he was on the track team and in the band. At Princeton he majored in history and was on the varsity gymnastics team. After graduation he took a trip around Europe with Geof Stengel and Tom Gucker.

Much of Harry’s life was in Greenwich, Conn., where he was a trustee of the Old Greenwich Yacht Club and chairman of the sailing committee, a trustee and treasurer of the Dingletown Community Church, and chairman of the Greenwich Board of Education.

Harry had been in the steel business along with some other companies. During the war he worked on antiaircraft guns and later went into the manufacturing of cash registers and taxi meters. He was our ever-genial AG chairman, and we shall miss him.

He was married to Dorothy Cromwell Fielden for 44 years. After her death he married Emily Hoge Booth, who died in 2001. In 2003 he married Virginia Keeney, who survives him. The class extends loving sympathy and fond remembrances to Virginia; Harry’s daughter, Dorothy Knauert; his sons Harrison III and Edward; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1937



Max died April 22, 2006, in Southern Pines, N.C., where he and Esther, his wife of 63 years, lived for the past several years.

He majored in political science at Princeton and graduated with honors. He was associate editor of the Bric-a-Brac, and was a member of the University orchestra, Triangle Club, the parking squad, and Key and Seal. He loved music and carried his violin with him wherever he went.

After five years in the Horse Cavalry Division of the 107th National Guard in Ohio, Max mustered out in 1946 as captain. He entered into various business enterprises but his main focus was foreign service. His diplomatic career with the State Department took him to Uruguay and Colombia. He worked with Undersecretary of State Christian Herter, served as counselor to the American embassy in Manila, and went to Rio de Janeiro and later to Guatemala, where he was chargé d’affairs. He was assigned to the embassy in Buenos Aires and in time became ambassador in Georgetown, Guyana.

In retirement, Max was often a speaker at fraternal, civic, and patriotic organizations. He received many awards, including the Department of State Superior Honor Award in 1969.

He is survived by Esther; his daughter, Marlynn Clayton; son Timothy; and a grandson. The class extends loving sympathy and fond remembrances to his family and friends.

The Class of 1937



Wayne died March 2, 2006, in La Jolla, Calif. He was 91.

He was born in Battlesville, Okla., and lived in East Orange, N.J. He came to Princeton from East Orange High School, where he was active in debating. After his freshman year, Wayne left Princeton and became associated with five different businesses. After a year or so in the Army, he was given a medical discharge.

He became associated with the advertising business and wrote ads for Sears, Roebuck & Co. Following his retirement from Sears’ national headquarters in Chicago, Wayne and his wife, Beverly, moved to La Jolla, where he went to work for Crawford M. Reynolds, a furniture retailer.

His hobbies included playing the organ, listening to music, and reading. In earlier years he was a member of the Princeton Club of Chicago and the Edgewater Men’s Fellowship Club. The class extends loving sympathy and fond remembrances to Wayne’s family and friends.

The Class of 1937



Bob died Feb. 4, 2006, in Amherst, N.Y., a suburb of Buffalo, where he attended the Nichols School.

At Princeton he earned a bachelor’s in history and was a member of Whig-Clio and an associate member of Gateway Club. In 1944 and 1945, Bob served as a Japanese language translator for the Army. After the war Bob entered a series of small business ventures, learning as he went along. Finally, he became a successful freight claims consultant to large businesses.

Bob was a founding member and first president of Temple Beth Am in Amherst. He worked with a Braille group copying textbooks in Braille for vision-impaired people and for schools for the blind. He also volunteered with Habitat for Humanity. He received the Prime Time Award and the Ray of Hope award for his community service.

His recreational joys were golf, competitive tennis, and the piano. Bob’s first wife, Norma Goldstein, died in 1986. He later married Peggy Gunzberger, the widow of a couple who were Bob and Norma’s closest friends and who were married in a joint ceremony with them many years earlier.

The class extends sincere condolences to Peggy; Bob’s son, Robert; his daughters, Karen and Donna; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1938



Born in Washington, Conn., Hunn Braman died March 27, 2006.

He was the great-grandson of Frederick William Gunn, founder of The Gunnery preparatory school in Washington, and was a sixth-generation member of the Brinsmade and Braman families to attend the school.

At Princeton, Hunn majored in modern languages and graduated with departmental honors.

In 1939 he started working for Wyeth Laboratories and American Home Products in various capacities. In 1944 he entered the Army and served as a master sergeant operating a mobile medical unit in Manila after Gen. MacArthur’s return to the Philippines.

Postwar, he spent the next 17 years working for Wyeth. In 1956 he became district sales manager in charge of many large-scale health projects in Pennsylvania.

In 1982, Hunn and his wife, Ruth, retired to Palm Coast, Fla., enjoying life there until moving in 2002 to the Glenmoor Retirement Home in St. Augustine, where Ruth died in 2004 after a long illness.

Hunn is survived by his brother, Grenville; his sister, Helen Gray; his sons, Thomas C. ’61 and Robert G. ’65; daughter Kathleen Allen; and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Dave died April 10, 2005.

He prepared at Newton (Mass.) High School, Middlebury (Vt.) High School, and Andover. At Princeton he majored in politics and the School of Public and International Affairs. He graduated with high honors and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

In our 50-year book Dave wrote: “I retired early in 1980 from the World Bank after 30 years of service there and nearly 40 in international economic pursuits of various kinds — including economic warfare in World War II, a spell in postwar reconstructions/supply adviser to the Chinese (Nationalist) government, and the Marshall Plan. It was an enormously varied, challenging, and rewarding experience: residence for extended periods in Paris, Central America, East Africa, Pakistan, and Indonesia . . . working intimately with economic and financial policymakers of a number of countries . . . Since retirement I’ve continued active, on a part-time basis, in related fields — as an independent consultant, occasional writer, and a board member of the Public Administration Service.”

Since then, there has been silence. All we have gleaned is that Dave’s wife, Clara, predeceased him, and that he is survived by two daughters, Anne and Frances, and several grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends sincere condolences.

The Class of 1938



Craig died March 30, 2006, at his home in Water Mill, N.Y., with his devoted wife, Nicoletta, at his side.

After preparing at St. Paul’s School, Craig entered Princeton, where he majored in history, won his numerals on crew, was on the tennis and squash teams, and belonged to Colonial Club.

During World War II, Craig had a distinguished military career in the Army Air Force, first as a pilot instructor of French Air Force cadets and later flying C-47s “over the Hump” in the China-Burma-India theater. His decorations included five Air Medals, the Asiatic-Pacific Medal with three Campaign Stars, the Presidential Unit Citation, and the French Air Force pilot’s wings.

Postwar, Craig was a bond salesman in New York City, but in the 1950s he owned a successful brick-making company in Caracas. The expropriation of his business by the Jimenez regime caused Craig to leave Venezuela and return to investment banking in New York.

Craig is survived by his beloved Nicoletta and three nephews, George A. ’59, Charles E.M. ’61, and Frederick B., the sons of his late sister, Rita, and her late husband, George A. Rentschler ’15. The class extends its deep sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1938


M. Scott Chapin ’39

Scott died Dec. 13, 2005, in La Mesa, Calif.

Scott entered Princeton with us and was with us until the end of his junior year. He was a member of Terrace Club and majored in history. But at the end of that year he left to accompany his family on a world tour. Upon his return he went on to graduate with the Class of 1940.

We lost track of him until, at his request, the University readmitted him to our class in 1989 so he could attend our 50th reunion.

He was accompanied to the reunion by Aroline, then his wife of 36 years, who grew up in Princeton and attended Miss Fine’s School. Although both were born in the Northeast, they actually met in California. Each had been married twice before, and Scott had a daughter from his first marriage.

Following a World War II stint in the Coast Guard in Hawaii and the Philippines, Scott entered the insurance business and continued in it until retirement.

To Aroline and to Scott’s daughter, Carol Chapin, we extend our heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Cornelius John Tyson Jr. ’39

Jack died peacefully March 9, 2006, in Manhattan, where he had maintained a private practice in internal medicine for 52 years.

He received his medical degree from the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. He was then commissioned a lieutenant, serving the Navy Medical Corps in the Pacific and European theaters and in the Normandy invasion.

During his long private practice he served patients with compassion and care, still making house calls until his retirement at 83. Jack was a devoted Princetonian and is well remembered as the doctor for the large group of ’39ers on the 1989 class trip through the Mediterranean, where he was particularly sympathetic and helpful. He was a recipient of Columbia’s Alumni Association Gold Medal in recognition of his lifetime dedication to training young physicians in the highest standards of medical care. Reflecting his wide range of interests, he was a member of the Century Association, the Metropolitan Opera, the New York Philharmonic, and the New York Botanical Garden.

Jack’s wife of 52 years, Patricia, predeceased him in 2005. He is survived by their six children and six grandchildren, to whom we offer sincere sympathy on their loss of this compassionate and generous man.

The Class of 1939


George D. Butler ’40

George died April 10, 2006, in Sun City Center, Fla.

Butt, as his classmates called him, graduated from William Penn Charter School before entering Princeton. He majored in chemistry, was a contributor to the Nassau Lit and Bric-a-Brac, served as photography editor of the Nassau Herald, and was a member of the Chemistry Club and Key and Seal Club.

He had a long and varied career including positions as project manager for the Norden Bombsight and eastern sales manager of Beckman Instruments before forming his own company, Electra Manufacturing, and serving as president of Microelectron Inc.

George was a director and vice chairman of the Electronic Industries Association, and a director-at-large of the Independence, Kan., Chamber of Commerce. He also served on the lay board of Mercy Hospital.

He enjoyed skin diving and flying his own eight-place twin Beechcraft. He had success in amateur theater, playing leads in Independence-area productions of Pleasure of His Company, My Fair Lady, and Speaking of Murder.

George is survived by his wife of 64 years, Dorothy; his sons, Dave H. ’69 and Jack L.; and three grandchildren. His classmates extend sincere sympathies to his family.

The Class of 1940


George H. Hart ’40

George died peacefully May 18, 2006, at his Maine home.

He graduated from St. Paul’s School, following his brothers, Harry C. Hart ’22 and Francis F. Hart ’32, and his uncle, Charles D. Hart 1892, to Princeton.

George majored in mathematics and earned second group departmental honors. He lettered in varsity 150-pound crew, was active in CAA Flight Training, and was a member of Cap and Gown Club.

He earned a bachelor’s in aeronautical engineering and a master’s in mathematics after postgraduate study at MIT.

He was a lieutenant in the Navy, serving at the San Diego Air Station in the American theater from 1942 to 1946. Thereafter, he was associated with Transsonics Inc. in Bedford, Mass., and Hide Windlass Co. of Bath, Maine.

Retiring early, George was able to pursue fully his lifelong interests in mathematics, music, and the natural world around his Newcastle, Maine, property. The George Harrison Hart Memorial Birch Grove on Thyme Island, Maine, was named in his honor. He was a vestryman and a member of the choir at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church of Newcastle.

In 1944, he married Josephine Frazier. To her and her daughter, Maia; their son, William, and his wife, Virginia Frazier; son-in-law Winslow Myers; and granddaughter, Anna Myers, his classmates wish to extend their sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1940


William M. Pomeroy Jr. ’40

Bill died April 4, 2006, in Biltmore Forest, N.C.

A graduate of The Hill School, he majored in politics at Princeton, where he received honorable mention for the H.C.G. Joline Prize in Political History.

He was on the 150-pound freshman crew and was alternate basketball manager, a member of the Interclub Council, and president of Elm Club.

In 1942, Bill earned an MBA from Penn. His business career kept him on the move to eight locations, ending in Asheville, N.C., his residence of choice. Bill started working with DuPont, then moved to American Enka as director of marketing. Upon retirement, he became the owner of a Volkswagen dealership and a real estate broker.

Bill was, perhaps, the longest reigning president of a Princeton alumni association on record — from 1960 until his death as the leader of the Western North Carolina club. He was past president of the Civitan Club of Asheville, past governor of Civitan International, and a member of Biltmore Forest Council.

Bill and his first wife, the former Connie McKnight, had four children, Peggy Higgenbotham, Elizabeth Pomeroy, Nancy Togar, and Bill. Following Connie’s death, Bill married Gloria Clark Rott, who had four daughters from her first marriage. To them all and to their seven grandchildren, his classmates extend deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940


Stanley Van den Heuvel ’40

His classmates will attest there was no Princetonian more loyal than Stan, who died May 13, 2006, at his home in Darien, Conn.

Stan entered Princeton from Riverdale Country School. He majored in economics and graduated with honors. He was on the business board of the Tiger and a member of Tower Club. His wife of 59 years, the former Margaret Duff, started appearing on campus after he and Johnny Duff became roommates.

During World War II, Stan served as an officer in the southwest Pacific. He attended Harvard Law School and received his degree in 1947.

After practicing law for several years, he joined Hanover Bank in 1955, retiring in 1982 from Manufacturers Hanover as senior vice president and corporate secretary of the board.

Stan served as a director of LTC Trust Co., Goodwill Industries of Greater New York, the Newcomen Society of the United States, Princeton-in-Asia, and the Darien Chapter of the Red Cross; and was a member of Kiwanis, the Senior Men’s Association of Darien, and the Noroton (Conn.) Presbyterian Church.

In addition to his wife, Margaret, he is survived by his son, John; two daughters, Susan Padgett and Elizabeth Ehrgood; and four grandsons. To them, his classmates wish to express their deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Hec Griswold died June 4, 2006, in Naples, Fla., following open-heart surgery.

A graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy, Hec was an honors major in chemical engineering at Princeton. He was a founder of the Princeton Outing Club and a member of Elm Club. During World War II, he commanded naval landing craft in the Pacific.

Hec, a creative and productive engineer, spent most of his career with the Chicopee Manufacturing Co. and Johnson & Johnson. At Chicopee he supervised nonwoven fabric product development and held a number of patents. At Johnson & Johnson he was awarded the prestigious Johnson Medal for Research and Development in recognition of his pioneering work in nonwoven fabric technology. Hec retired from Johnson & Johnson in 1986 but remained a consultant to the firm until 1993.

Hec loved the outdoors, and his favorite sports were golf, tennis, skiing, and sailing. He will be remembered for his sportsmanship, fairness, and kindness on and off the courts, links, and slopes.

Our congenial and creative classmate is survived by his devoted wife, Anne Barstow Griswold; son Hector Jr.; daughter Penelope Parson; and grandchildren Matthew and Katherine Griswold and Nicholas Parson. To them, the class extends deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942



Vance died peacefully May 6, 2006, at his home in Dallas, Texas.

He prepared at Columbia High School in Maplewood, N.J. At Princeton he earned honors in architecture, lettered in track, and was a member of Elm Club.

During World War II, Vance served as a lieutenant and captained a PT boat in the Solomon Islands under squadron commander Jack Searles ’38. While in the Navy he married Evelyn Benson. They had Vance III ’68, Stuart, Rodney, Paige, and Elizabeth-Ann. Evelyn and Paige predeceased Vance.

Before joining Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. in New York in 1955, Vance was chief field architect at nuclear power facilities in Paducah, Ky., and Waverley, Ohio. At Metropolitan his office controlled the design and construction of company district offices and mortgage investment buildings in the U.S. and Canada. Vance retired as architectural officer in 1985 after a stimulating career with extensive travel.

In 1995 Vance moved to Dallas, where he married high school classmate Dorothy “Dee” Dann Collins. They engaged prominently in the civic life of Dallas. Vance served on the boards of Goodwill Industries and the Dallas Museum of Natural History. He was author and illustrator of Solomon Island Sketches.

To Dee, Vance’s sister, his surviving children, and two grandchildren, the class extends deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942



Art died from cancer May 7, 2006, at home in Arlington, Va.

“He lived as best he could to the very end,” wrote his wife, Jean. “He played golf on Saturday, and Sunday he was gone.” A career Foreign Service officer who held ambassadorships to Gabon, Sao Tome, and Principe, Art loved diplomacy; military pomp and bands; being near, on, or in water (particularly the ocean); singing; collecting stamps; Perfect Manhattans; golf; and his privacy.

At Princeton, he was a member of the Glee Club and Tower Club, roomed with Bud Leo and Bob Bennett, and majored in political science. After 40 months in the military in World War II, he earned a bachelor’s in 1946 and a master’s in 1950 while he and Jean lived in Princeton’s housing for returning married veterans. In years of writing us and in our last directory, he treated his foreign service as Jean’s, too — it was always “we.”

A brother of the late Robert Tienken ’46, Art is survived by Jean; daughters Judy, Nancy, and Carol; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Another daughter, Ann, died in 1971. At his service, Art’s daughters chose lines from Tennyson’s Ulysses that end: “To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.” Our class is proud of having him.

The Class of 1944


Null Marcus Hodapp h’47

Fun-loving Mark Hodapp never will be forgotten, especially by Asa Bushnell, Jack Madden, and Bob Wohlforth. That foursome forged friendships in second grade at Nassau Street Elementary School and called themselves The K-LUB, whose durability is marked by a brick on Palmer Square.

Born in Dayton, Ohio, in 1925, Mark grew up in Princeton, graduating in 1943 from Princeton High School, where he first perfected magic tricks that would climax with the Greater Orlando (Fla.) Area “Magician of the Year” honors in the 1990s.

Mark served in the Navy during World War II before earning an engineering degree at Purdue. From 1956 until retirement in 1981, he sold large electrical equipment for Allen Bradley Co. while serving as district manager of its Dayton and Cincinnati offices.

Having presented magic shows at engineering conventions, Mark continued to entertain after choosing Cocoa Beach, Fla., for his leisure years. Classmates enjoyed his sleight-of-hand at many reunions.

A gentle person who wowed the ladies as a tireless ballroom dancer, he counted four ex-wives as friends. Alzheimer’s slowed him, but never quelled his spirit. In fact, he was playing harmonica for fellow patients when he fell, fractured a hip, underwent surgery, and died July 26, 2004, from complications of pneumonia.

To Mark’s son, two daughters, sister, and three grandchildren, the class offers belated condolences.

The Class of 1947


Winslow H. Smith ’47

Smitty was a robust, happily remembered classmate from Princeton’s July 1943 V-12 unit. He went on to the Pacific theater and, on return to postwar Princeton, he married Jean McNamara in 1947. They lived for a year in the “old polo field” barracks until Smitty graduated in 1948.

Smitty first tried his hand in the corporate world, and then left it to open his own hardware store and then a building business. Along the way he became a substitute teacher in the Acton-Boxborough (Mass.) High School. This led to a professional epiphany — taking up full-time teaching where he said he could “occupy my own stage” and “challenge” his “captive audience” to excel. He enjoyed every minute of this rewarding task. He sent two sons to Princeton and many students “to the Ivies.” Long summers were spent in Maine enjoying his family and fishing. Retirement brought a new and happy life, shared even more closely with Jean.

Smitty savored his life, including the friendship and gratitude of the many students he had challenged over the years. He died Dec. 4, 2005. With appreciation for his service to so many others, we send this tribute and our warm wishes to Jean and the family.

The Class of 1947



Bill’s life started and ended in Connecticut: He was born Sept. 12, 1929, in Bradford and was living in Sharon when he died Oct. 27, 2005.

A member of the class of 1947 at Taft, he was a sociology major at Princeton, roomed with Skip Dyer and Jim Brassill, was active in Glee Club and the Tigertones, and belonged to Quadrangle Club.

After service in the Marine Corps he was recruited by General Motors Institute to develop and present management training programs. In 1956 he joined Chevron and became manager of its Community Oil Division in New England.

Bill married Carol Lombardi in 1953 and thereafter, as he wrote, she was his strength, support, realistic evaluator, and loving caregiver. They were active in church choirs and choruses in western Connecticut. Singing with Tigertone friends was always a joy.

In 1983 he was diagnosed with throat cancer and diabetes. Despite ill health, he and Carol attended class functions, most recently our 2005 mini in Washington, D.C.

Bill is survived by Carol; his son, John; daughter Elizabeth Forstmann; eight grandchildren; one great-grandchild; his sisters, Dale White and Susan Andresen; his nephew, Clark Lombardi ’90 and Clark’s wife, Greta ’90; and Clark’s father, Bonnell Lombardi ’58.

The Class of 1951


Witt suffered a heart attack and died Oct. 3, 2005, in Bethlehem, Pa.

At Princeton he majored in psychology, graduating summa cum laude and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi. Immediately, he earned a Ph.D. in psychology at Princeton. He next earned a second Ph.D., in clinical psychology, at Catholic University. He was a member of Tiger Inn. Bob Keeley, a roommate, was a special longtime friend and confidant.

Beginning at Armstrong Industries, Witt developed expertise in consulting and applying opinion surveying to marketing strategy. As an individual consultant, his major corporate clients included General Motors, United Parcel, and Marriott.

In 1968 he suffered personal tragedy when his home burned and he lost his 11-year-old daughter, Susie. By 1985 he confronted his alcoholism and switched vocations. During the past 20 years he conducted a psychological counseling practice in the Lehigh Valley, focusing on patients with addiction problems. Most of his time was spent helping fellow alcoholics. His hobby of painting led to several one-man shows.

Twice divorced, he is survived by his children Peter, Debbie Mercer, and Andrea Tran; eight grandchildren; and his brothers, Ronald ’50 and Paul. His son Michael predeceased him.

The Class of 1951

Donald Richard Beasley ’53

Don suffered a stroke before our 50th, but was determined to attend the reunion and he did, making all the rounds in a golf cart. He died of pneumonia May 21, 2006, after several strokes. His home was in Rock Hall, Md.

He graduated from Mount Lebanon (Pa.) High School. At Princeton, he majored in chemical engineering, was active in WPRU radio, and belonged to Elm Club. He was a valuable member of the Rugby Club. Though he and his senior-year roommate, lacrosse man Al Weaver, were on different playing fields, Al said they got along “beautifully.”

Don received a master’s in business at the University of Chicago and worked for several large corporations. At his retirement in 2001, he was a consultant for the Environmental Protection Agency overseeing contracts for the eastern seaboard.

He is survived by his wife, the former Marie Hilliard, whom he married in 1985; his mother, Edna; son Richard; daughter Lynn; brother Charles; stepson Martin Hilliard; stepdaughter Suzy Pollington; and three step-grandchildren. We mourn the loss of our loyal classmate.

The Class of 1953



Ed, whose piano artistry delighted undergrads when he performed with the Round House Eight, the Tiger Town Five, and Ken Stocker’s big band, but whose real love was barbershop harmony, died of cancer May 2, 2006, in Melville, N.Y.

He entered from St. Paul’s School in Baltimore and played football and baseball. He majored in civil engineering, sang in the choir, and dined at Cannon Club. After graduation, excluding six months in the Air Force, he was an executive at Grumman Aircraft until his retirement in 1994.

As a 48-year member of the 32,000-man Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Singing in America, he wrote more than 700 arrangements. The Mid-Atlantic Hi-Note music publication echoed our sentiments by saying,

“Ed was a successful businessman, a devoted husband and father, and a barbershopper’s barbershopper.”

He is survived by his wife, Katharine; son J. Edward IV; daughter Katharine Van Eron; sister Tilghman; brother Richard Woodward; and five grandchildren, who have our very real sympathy.

The Class of 1953


Frank A. Hirsch ’54

Frank A. Hirsch died May 31, 2006.

Born in Mount Kisco, N.Y., he prepared for Princeton at the Pingry School. While at Princeton he was active in sports and was a member of the sophomore class council and Cloister Inn. Frank graduated with a degree in chemical engineering and moved to Chattanooga to work for Procter & Gamble. He subsequently developed a career in the textile chemical industry and became president of Lutex Chemical Corp. Over his long business career, he built and sold five entrepreneurial businesses.

Frank was active in the Lookout Mountain (Tenn.) Presbyterian Church, where he taught Sunday school and chaired the deacons.

The class extends sympathy to Mary, his wife of 47 years; daughters Katherine and Ellen; son Frank Jr.; and seven grandchildren.

The Class of 1954



Dick died Jan. 4, 2006, in Mexico of complications from cancer treatment.

Dick prepared for Princeton at St. Paul’s. Concentrating in religion and Oriental studies, he wrote his senior thesis on Albert Schweitzer. A hockey player and member of Cottage Club, he roomed senior year with Charley Grace, Pete Hersey, and Henry Schuler.

Following a stint as a fighter pilot in the Air Force, Dick helped found the C.S. McKee investment company in Pittsburgh. That success enabled him to join with several others and follow his love, hockey. In the late 1960s, he was one of the founders of the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team. In the mid-1990s, Dick served as mayor of his hometown, Sewickley, Pa. In retirement, he moved to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, establishing an elementary school in a town previously without one.

He wrote in our 25th yearbook that he was proud of having led the movement to admit women into HYP, the Harvard-Yale-Princeton Club of Pittsburgh.

He is survived by his sons, Whitney and Ian; daughters Dana Neuman and Alexandria Mauck; and sisters Althea Ross, Eleanor Wyckoff, and Madelaine McCrady. The class extends deep sympathy to all his family.

The Class of 1956



Bob died Nov. 12, 2005, in Burlington, Iowa.

A graduate of Maplewood (Mo.) High School, he entered Princeton with our class and eventually received his bachelor’s degree in marketing from the University of Missouri. Although he worked in various fields, the major part of his career was spent as senior programmer/analyst with the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant.

A 44-year member of St. Luke’s United Church of Christ, he served as treasurer and later president of the Church Council and sang in the choir for 44 years. He volunteered at the Great River Medical Center, the citywide Paint-A-Thon and the yearly CROP Walk, and was a member of the Bel Canto Chorale for many years.

Bob is survived by his wife of 44 years, Sandra Lee Rolf Nolte; his daughter, Leann; and his sister, Jane Louise Dreiling. The class extends sincere condolences to his family.

The Class of 1956



Bob died suddenly May 25, 2005, from a rare and aggressive form of leukemia, which was diagnosed just two weeks prior to his death.

Bob came to Princeton from St. Mark’s School. He joined Campus Club and was in the Latin American Division of the Special Program in European Civilization. Senior year he roomed with Sam Stevenson.

Following graduation, Bob returned to his birthplace of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, as a member of the eighth generation of the Armstrong family to live on the island. In 1958 the Armstrong family owned and managed the Buccaneer Hotel. Under Bob’s leadership, the Buccaneer was transformed, according to the St. Croix Source, from a small inn into one of the world’s top 500 resorts, making it an island landmark and institution. Through his many business interests as diverse as banking, insurance, construction, real estate, and an automobile dealership, he was a major force in growth and employment on the island.

Bob’s continual support of charitable causes as well as individuals, often anonymously, left an imprint on the lives of many on St. Croix.

He is survived by his wife, Patricia; his sisters, Judith and Barbara; his children, Douglas, Robert ’87, and Elizabeth; six grandchildren; and numerous nephews and nieces. To them all, the class offers deepest condolences.

The Class of 1958



Dick Morgan died March 1, 2006, in Naples, Fla., after a long illness.

He prepared for college at Milton Academy, where he was his class valedictorian. At Princeton, Dick majored in politics, was a member of Cloister Inn, president of the Ivy Network of College Radio Stations, and manager of WPRB. His senior-year roommates were Paul Dunn, Ben Horne, Fred Sillman, and Dave Smith.

After graduation from the New York School of Finance, Dick began his business career as an account executive at CBS. He next became a group vice president of marketing and consulting for The Aims Group in New York City. He then joined the Princeton Strategy Group, a subsidiary of Kepner-Tregoe, and was based in Princeton as a vice president.

In later life he started his own consulting business and became a much-respected top management strategist conducting seminars for major corporations, including CEOs and senior executive teams of numerous Fortune 1000 companies.

The class sends deepest sympathy to Susan, Dick’s wife of 45 years; his children Rick, David, Steven, and Lisa; and grandchildren Taylor, Kelsey, Jack, Kimmy, Carly, Rick, Jenny, David, and Katie.

The Class of 1958


Reuben Moores Morriss III ’58

Reuben died Jan. 4, 2006, of complications from pneumonia. He had battled Alzheimer’s disease for 15 years.

He came to Princeton from St. Louis Country Day School and majored in history. He was a member of Tiger Inn, and was preceded at Princeton by his father, Reuben ’33, and his brother, Wynne ’63.

Following graduation, Reuben returned to St. Louis and went to work at Wood Treating Chemical Co., which his grandfather founded. He also attended Washington University Law School. After obtaining his law degree, Reuben joined Boatmen’s Bank in 1965. He remained at Boatmen’s, becoming president of Boatmen’s Trust Co., until retiring in 1995.

Reuben was active in many civic organizations. He was chairman of the board of Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School and William Woods University in Fulton, Mo.; on the board of St. Luke’s Hospital and the St. Louis Bi-State American Red Cross; and treasurer of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri.

We will remember Reuben as a fun-loving person and great friend. He is survived by Barbara, his wife of 48 years; his son, Doug; his daughter, Dulie; his sister, Annette Clow; and three grandsons. To them, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1958



Nick died March 19, 2006, at home in Berkeley, Calif., from complications of treatment for Burkitt’s lymphoma.

He grew up in Jersey City, N.J., and came to Princeton as a first-generation college student. He majored in biology and was a member of Elm Club. After graduating magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, he spent a year at Yale Medical School, then received a Ph.D. in biochemistry from Harvard in 1966.

After postdoctoral study at Stanford University, he taught molecular biology at the University of Chicago and, beginning in 1982, at the University of California, Berkeley. Working at the frontiers of molecular biology on the mathematical foundations of DNA, Nick became, in the words of colleague, “a giant in a field that has been transformed by his deep and wide-ranging discoveries.” His students report that he was a brilliant and inspiring teacher.

In 1995 he became the editor-in-chief of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. A fellow of the leading scientific organizations in the United States, Nick was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1989.

The class extends its sincere condolences to Nick’s wife, Linda, and his daughter, Laura Cozzarelli-Wood.

The Class of 1960



Jim Guest died of lung cancer Aug. 17, 2004, in Sarasota, Fla.

Jim was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Manhasset, N.Y. He prepared for Princeton at Choate. At Princeton he participated in 150-pound football, was the hooker for the Rugby Club, and was a member of Army ROTC. He ate his meals and socialized at Tower Club with great enthusiasm. Jim majored in economics and had as his senior thesis adviser, William Bowen (subsequently president of the University). His roommates junior and senior year were Steve Bednar, Allan Griffith, Ray Nash, Paul Roberts, and Chuck Vogel.

Upon graduation, Jim served in Korea as an Army lieutenant in a field artillery battery. He subsequently earned a law degree from Stanford University and moved to Minnesota, where he worked as an investment manager for Investors Diversified Services and then for the Lutheran Church in America before starting his own law practice. In 1985 he moved to Sarasota, and worked on public market and venture-capital investments. He loved to travel and was a member of the senior softball league.

The class extends its deepest sympathy to Cindy, his wife of 34 years, and his daughter, Cassie.

The Class of 1960



Jack died of pancreatic cancer March 11, 2006, in his Seattle home, surrounded by his wife and two daughters.

His preparatory schools were St. George’s School in Newport, R.I., and King’s School, Bruton, Somerset, England. At Princeton, Jack was a member of the freshman cross-country team and of the rugby team in subsequent years. He majored in history and was a member of Quadrangle Club and Whig-Clio.

Jack did graduate work at the University of Washington and Stanford University, and spent most of his career involved with Japan, where he was a businessman, teacher and author of Gaijin Kaisha: Running a Foreign Business in Japan. He served as treasurer of the Japan Society in New York, and was a guest lecturer on Japanese subjects at the University of Washington’s schools of law, business, and international studies. After retiring, he remained involved with students through Princeton-in-Asia, of which he was a trustee, and actively traveled, skied, fished, and played tennis.

To his widow, Keiko; daughters Shannon Lee Lucansky and Sayako Huddleston; and grandchildren, the class offers its sincere condolences.

The Class of 1960



Paul died of leukemia Feb. 12, 2006, at his home in Cupertino, Calif.

He was born in Washington, D.C., and attended high school in Wyomissing, Pa. At Princeton, Paul majored in chemical engineering, and was a member of the Glee Club and Elm Club.

Paul received a doctorate in chemical engineering from Cornell University in 1966. After teaching at two Chilean universities and working in industry, he developed an interest in environmental issues and devoted the rest of his professional life to this field.

Paul earned a master’s in 1971 in the Honors Cooperative Program of the Stanford School of Engineering and advanced to the rank of full professor at Stanford. While there, he directed a landmark field study to evaluate the potential for reclaiming wastewater from the city of Palo Alto by using advanced treatment processes followed by injection and storage in the aquifer below the San Francisco Bay wetlands.

The author of more than 200 publications, Paul was a member of the Swiss Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering, and received numerous other professional honors.

Paul’s wife of 40 years, Inge; his children, Nina, Christopher, and Sebastian; and nine grandchildren survive him. The class extends sympathy to his family and friends.

The Class of 1960


Richard S. Rehder ’61

Richard Rehder died June 6, 2005, of heart failure.

He was born and grew up in Iowa City, Iowa, and went to University High School. Interested in music from an early age, he began the piano in elementary school and the clarinet in high school. He also joined the high school band, which he conducted at concerts in his senior year. At Princeton he majored in music, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and continued piano lessons in college, achieving near-concert standard. Richard enjoyed improvising on classical melodies, often of his own composition, for hours at a time.

Awarded a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship to study music and composition at the University of California, Berkeley, he also took courses in mathematics and computers there. He then worked for the Navy as a computer programmer. Among the problems he worked on was finding the most effective and efficient way of supplying all the ships at sea and devising the necessary software.

Richard took early retirement from the Navy and returned to Iowa City, where he spent his time studying music and mathematics, playing the piano, and working as a volunteer at the University Hospital.

He is survived by his brother, Robert ’57.

The Class of 1961


Paul Weeks II ’65

Paul died May 31, 2006, a year after partying at our 40th, 11 months after his basketball team placed fourth in the Senior Olympics, and four months after being diagnosed with metastatic melanoma.

Paul attended high school in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Dallas. At Princeton, he majored in electrical engineering, was in NROTC, and was secretary of Tower Club.

After five years of building nuclear vessels for Adm. Rickover, he attended George Wash-

ington University Law School, then joined COMSAT (the Communications Satellite Corp.) legal department. In 1987, he moved to ICF Kaiser International, where he was senior vice president and general counsel.

After leaving ICF, Paul fulfilled a lifelong dream — building an award-winning wooden outboard launch from a classic design. He also became associated with the Alexandria Seaport Foundation, a program for troubled teenagers, teaching carpentry and workplace skills by building boats and assisting in finding jobs and new starts. Paul created ASF’s Web site (, and served as a board member and managing director. Several ’65ers and others are establishing an ASF scholarship in Paul’s name.

Paul is survived by Pam, his wife of 40 years; his mother, Barbara; his daughter, Catherine; three grandchildren; and his brother and sister, to whom the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1965


Graduate Alumni

Richard A. Hogarty *65

Richard A. Hogarty, who taught public affairs at the University of Massachusetts at Boston from 1968 until retiring in 1998, died June 5, 2006. He was 72.

Hogarty was raised in Princeton, and his father was employed at the University. He earned a doctorate in politics from Princeton, and authored many articles, position papers, and research reports on issues of public policy, plus two books in his field of state and local government. For many years he directed the graduate program in public affairs at the University of Massachusetts, Boston, and also served as director of its John W. McCormack Institute of Public Affairs.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Ann, six children, and five grandchildren.

This issue has undergraduate memorials for Arthur T. Tienken ’44 *50 and Warren James Wittreich ’51 *54.



Peter died March 6, 2006, after a long illness.

He prepared for Princeton at Eastside High in Paterson, N.J., and at Andover, where he was president of the National Honor Society, a varsity swimmer, and a member of the mathematics and debating clubs.

At Princeton, he majored in biology and wrote a thesis titled Effects of Spleenectomy on Transplantation Tolerance. A member of Court Club and the Orange Key Guide Service, he also was on the crew his freshman and sophomore years.

After graduation, Peter completed medical school and became a respected teacher and physician at St. Thomas Hospital after moving to Nashville in 1972.

He is survived by a sister, Paula Miller; brothers Michael and Danny, and several nieces and nephews. The class extends its deepest sympathy to all Peter’s family.

The Class of 1960 end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary