October 11, 2006: Memorials

John Hawes Jr. ’32

Jack Hawes died March 14, 2006. He was 95.

He prepared at the Loomis School and graduated from Princeton in 1932. During his last three years he roomed with Henry Whitson. Jack was a foreign-exchange trader with Bankers Trust Co. in New York for many years before he retired in 1976.

He was an elder of the Community Church of Glen Rock, N.J., Friday chairman of Meals on Wheels, a Navy veteran, and an ardent vegetable gardener.

Jack is survived by his wife of 70 years, Judy Mays Hawes; a son, John; a daughter, Amanda; nine grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren, to all of whom the class sends sincere condolences.

The Class of 1932


Art Wood, class president from1999 to 2004, who joined Sears, Roebuck and Co. in his native Chicago after World War II and advanced through the ranks to become its chairman and CEO in 1973, died peacefully June 18, 2006. He was 93. He oversaw the completion of the 110-story Sears Tower in downtown Chicago, which, when it opened, was the world’s tallest building.

Since his retirement in 1978, MacDougall, as many in the class called him, served as board chairman of the Art Institute of Chicago. For nine years, he was a member of the public oversight board of the executive committee of the Association of Certified Public Accountants (he was chairman in 1983 when he succeeded John J. McCloy). “These two activities,” he wrote, “kept me busy and learning.”

In 1969 we presented Art with our award for outstanding achievement. In 1976 Princeton presented him with an honorary degree. In 1984 the University dedicated the Arthur Wood ’34 Auditorium in McCosh Hall, made possible by a $500,000 gift from Sears in Art’s honor.

Surviving are a daughter, Pauline W. Egan; a son, Arthur M. Jr. ’72; and seven grandchildren. His wife, Pauline Palmer Wood, died in 1984; a brother, Robert MacPherson Wood ’36, died in 1990.

The Class of 1934


Bill died from Alzheimer’s disease Feb. 3, 2006, in Larchmont, N.Y.

He attended the Lawrenceville School and graduated from Princeton with a degree in political science. While an undergraduate, he helped form the Eight Baller’s Band that played for class occasions and later at many reunions.

After graduation Bill worked for NBC and, in time, became director of international radio. During this period Bill married Nancy Whidden, also of Larchmont. During World War II, Bill served in the Armed Forces Radio Service for four years.

At war’s end, he joined BBDO advertising agency and later worked for American Management Corp. For 40 years Bill was conductor of the Fountain Square Brass Band, which he founded, and which was named for the location of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Larchmont, where he was a member.

Bill and Nancy were divorced after many years and he married Judith Telep-Ehrlich, an international opera star. She survives him, as do his daughter, Elizabeth Hoffman; his son, William J. III; and his brother, George. The class extends sincere condolences to all.

The Class of 1938


Roger died Nov. 23, 2005, in Atlantic Beach, Fla., a victim of pneumonia.

He was a native of Stamford, Conn., and attended the Lawrenceville School. At Princeton he majored in biology, enrolled in ROTC, and graduated with honors.

During World War II, Roger served as an artillery officer in the Army’s lst Division, “The Big Red One,” fighting in Africa (for which he was awarded the Silver Star), then through the Sicily campaign, and later fighting with Gen. Patton in France. He was present when, in a highly publicized incident, the general apologized for slapping a hospitalized soldier.

Postwar, Roger entered the banking business, working for banks in Connecticut, Vermont, and Massachusetts. During two early marriages, which ended in divorce, Roger raised three children.

In 1965, while single again and working as a trust officer at New Britain National Bank, he met and married Betty Root, another employee at the bank. Theirs was a long and happy marriage.

In 1986, Roger and Betty retired to Florida, where they lived until his death. Surviving him are his wife, two daughters, a son, and three grandchildren, to each of whom the class extends its sincere condolences.

The Class of 1938

LanahanWilliam Wallace Lanahan Jr. ’40

Wally died July 14, 2006, from complications of Parkinson’s disease.

Wally prepared at St. Paul’s School. At Princeton he majored in history and was a member of the hockey squad, 150-pound crew, squash team, the Catholic Club, and Ivy Club.

“I was employed by Grace Line from 1940 to 1942 in Santiago, Chile. I married a Chilean señorita who has been the light of my life,” Wally wrote in our 40th-year book. Betty Lake, his wife of 57 years, died in 1999.

Serving as an Army captain and paratrooper from 1942 to 1945 in Europe, he received a Purple Heart for injuries sustained in Italy. Wally worked as a State Department vice consul in Bahia, Brazil, until 1948, when he returned to Baltimore for a career as an investment banker. He became president of Stein Bros. & Boyce and vice president of its successor, Bache & Co.

Wally served as a governor of the New York Stock Exchange, a trustee of Johns Hopkins University, chairman of the board of trustees of Johns Hopkins Hospital, trustee of Goucher College, and director of the Baltimore Orioles, among many other community and civic organizations.

He is survived by two sons, W. Wallace III and Michael B.; a daughter, Barbara L. Mauro; and six grandchildren. To them, his classmates extend sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1940

Chester L. Nourse Jr. ’40

Chet died June 23, 2006, at Mease Continuing Care Hospital in Dunedin, Fla.

After attending Phillips Andover Academy, he majored in politics at Princeton, where he was on the freshman golf team and a member of Cannon Club. He received an MBA from Harvard Business School.

Chet was a Navy veteran who served from 1942 to 1946 and remained in the Navy Reserve as a lieutenant. He and his wife, Barbara, lived in Dunedin from 1956 until 1962 while he was vice president of the First National Bank as well as president of the Dunedin Rotary Club. He was an avid golfer, becoming Dunedin Country Club champion.

In 1962, he moved his family back to Massachusetts, where he became president and CEO of the Lynn Five Cents Savings Bank and president of the Savings Institute Marketing Society of America. Upon retirement, the Nourses moved to Dunedin, becoming very active in local affairs.

Chet was a loyal Princetonian, serving as class AG agent and secretary-treasurer of the Princeton Alumni Association of the Florida West Coast.

He is survived by Barbara, his wife of 56 years; their daughters, Alison Miller and Victoria Cudahy; four grandchildren; and his sister, Virginia Salomon. To them, his classmates wish to extend sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1940

Anson Perina ’40

Ans died June 10, 2006. He had been in the private practice of ophthalmology in Morristown, N.J., from 1950 until retirement in 1996.

He attended Princeton Preparatory School and Irvington High School before entering Princeton. His brother, Robert ’43, followed him to Princeton.

Ans majored in biology, graduating with second-group honors. He was manager of Cannon Club and played three varsity sports. Remarkably, he was only the third freshman ever to win a varsity letter, setting a University long-jump record and participating in the Penn Relays. On May 17, 1939, he pitched during the first televised baseball game (Princeton vs. Columbia). Scouted by the Yankees, he turned down a professional contract to study medicine.

In 1943, he graduated from the University of Rochester Medical School with postgraduate training at Yale and Harvard. Ans was a World War II Navy veteran, serving as beach battalion medical officer at the battles for Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

For some years, he was a member of Princeton’s track advisory board. He and his late wife, Adele, were active in many civic activities in and around Morristown.

To his survivors, son Anson; daughters Barbara LaVecchia, Catherine Samuelon, and Emily Katz; and 16 grandchildren, his classmates offer deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940


Tom died July 11, 2006, of congestive heart failure.

A graduate of The Hill School, he followed his brother, Alfred ’39, to Princeton, where he majored in English and graduated magna cum laude. He was a member of the freshman crew, the varsity cross-country team, Bicker Committee, and Quadrangle Club, and was vice president of the Westminster Society junior year.

He enrolled in the V-7 Navy Reserve program in July 1940, earning his ensign commission at Northwestern Graduate School. He spent five years in the Navy on antisubmarine and convoy escort duty in the Atlantic and Pacific, retiring as a lieutenant commander.

He was a Realtor and president of Buckman and Ulmer Inc. in Jacksonville, Fla. Tom was on many company, civic, and charitable boards. His greatest involvement was his lifelong commitment to the American Cancer Society, which he served on the local, state, and national levels. He was chairman of the national ACS board in New York for two years.

The National Society of Poets’ anthologies published a number of Tom’s poems.

Alice, his loving wife of 62 years, and their younger daughter, Thomasina, preceded him in death. He is survived by his older daughter, Pam Ulmer Bowers, and a sister, Blanche U. Pavlis. To them, his classmates extend heartfelt sympathies.

The Class of 1940


John died April 29, 2006, at Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine, Fla.

A graduate of DeWitt Clinton High School in New York, John earned honors at Princeton in chemical engineering. He won the University’s 145-pound title in boxing and was a member of Campus Club.

Soon after graduation John married Grace Ballou and spent the World War II years on a DuPont atomic energy project. John and Grace raised a wonderful family — five girls and one boy — Betty, John Ballou ’67, Jean, Cathy, Peggy, and Irene. John was predeceased by his son, John, in 1992, and by Grace and his sister, Irene Wetmore, in 1995. In addition to his daughters, he is survived by his second wife, Leona Jensen, and his brother, Bob Tritsch ’47.

After 27 years with DuPont in Wilmington, Del., including management of the tariff division and liaison with the Manufacturing Chemists Association, John moved to Washington, D.C., to work for the Manufacturing Chemists Association as technical director. He finished his career at the American Textile Institute in 1987.

John was an avid tennis player and volunteered in many community organizations, including Flagler Hospital. He was active in the Episcopal Church, which he served in numerous ways.

The class conveys deepest sympathy to John’s family, including 10 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1942


Malcolm, known as “Bish” almost all his life, died May 12, 2006, in Fort Davis, Texas, the location of one of two historic forts Bish succeeded in preserving for our nation. The other was Fort Ligonier in western Pennsylvania, where he also taught Latin, French, geography, and history in a private school for 25 years.

He had careers and activities that might take 10 of us to match. A son of Lawrence L. Tweedy 1905, he was born in England. His appearance standing in a baby carriage in Hyde Park caused a bystander to liken him to a tiny “bishop” hanging on to a pulpit — thus the nickname. At Princeton, he majored in modern languages, ran freshman track, was a member of Cloister Inn, and roomed with Dana Hodgdon, John Flournoy, Doug Demler, and Don Andrew.

He left Princeton in 1943, fought in World War II and was seriously wounded in France, returned to graduate in 1946, and was drawn back to his ancestral ranch in Knickerbocker, Texas. He met his wife, Sally, in amateur theater (another continuing love). She died in 1986.

Bish is survived by his brother, Lawrence; five daughters, Laura Irwin, Leslie Schilling, Lanna Duncan, Lucinda Tweedy, and Mynetta Murray; and three grandchildren. We’ll miss such a lifelong active classmate.

The Class of 1944

Charles Gordon Blackadar ’46

Gordon died July 16, 2006, at home in Doylestown, Pa.

Born in Plainfield, N.J., he served in the Army as a second lieutenant. After discharge in 1946, he developed a career in municipal real estate, appraising in some 60 New Jersey towns. From 1969 to 1988 he was in real estate investments with Metropolitan Life in New York, serving as vice president. A math whiz, he wrote Dynamic Capitalization, which was published in 1992.

Gordon enjoyed painting landscapes and playing the flute. He moved with his late wife, Virginia, to Doylestown after many years in New Jersey. They raised four children, Glenn, Scott, David, and Laurie. Besides his children, Gordon is survived by his brother, Alfred ’42; a sister, Joy; and seven grandchildren. To them all, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1946

Elmer Henry Brown ’48

El Brown, a native of Trenton, N.J., and a graduate of George School in Newtown, Pa., died May 31, 2006, at his home at Avila Beach, Calif.

At Princeton he lettered in basketball, was active in track and crew, was a member of Cannon Club, and graduated in June 1947. He went on to the Temple University School of Dentistry, where he graduated in 1951 as an oral surgeon. This was followed by further graduate training at Penn.

El spent 34 years in oral surgery until retirement in 1990 from his San Luis Obispo practice. He was chief of the medical staff of two local hospitals. The 1995 California Dental Association meeting in San Francisco was dedicated to him. El maintained he resisted retirement until he “got it right.”

He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1995 and participated in several research programs with the hope of extending his life and the lives of others.

El and Anna McGovney were married in 1954. She survives him along with their children Barbara, Cynthia, Marian, and Richard ’86. El’s Catholicism was a refuge and a strength all of his life.

The Class of 1948

Donald Rosenthal ’48

A Princeton native, Don died May 19, 2006.

Don’s father and uncle owned the Princeton Clothing Co. at 17 1/2 Witherspoon St. and his parents’ apartment was above the store. He attended the Nassau Street School leading up to Princeton High School. That’s about as native as one can be. Don graduated in June 1949 with honors in chemistry. He was in the Navy from 1945 to 1946. He was active in the Hillel Society, Liberal Union, and Sigma Xi.

Don was an academic, a professor of chemistry after earning his master’s and Ph.D. from Columbia. He taught briefly at the University of Minnesota and for five years at the University of Chicago prior to arriving at Clarkson University in 1961. He was at Clarkson until achieving emeritus status in 1991. Don and Eleanor Oliver were married in July 1955 and produced three daughters, Deborah, Susan, and Marion, and a son, Daniel.

Don’s devotion to his faith continued throughout his life. He served as president of the Potsdam (N.Y.) Jewish Congregation, secretary-treasurer of the North Country Synagogue Coalition, and was on the executive committee of the Conference on Rural Judaism.

To Eleanor and their children, the class offers condolences on the death of a true Princetonian.

The Class of 1948


Lang was born Feb. 27, 1930, in Newark, N.J., and came to us from South Pasadena-San Marino High in California. He died July 17, 2005, in Oceanside, Calif.

At Princeton he majored in physics and roomed with David Smith, Carol Lyttle, and Greg Sheridan. He was active in the Glee Club, Chapel Choir, and WPRU.

After graduation, Lang worked for a Navy contractor and eventually was the civilian in charge of research and development at the China Lake Naval Weapons Research Center, where he managed the development of projects such as the Sidewinder air-to-air missile. Thereafter he worked for Hughes Aircraft, where he managed projects including the Discovery unmanned moon missions. Following retirement, he developed an interest in the emerging field of personal computers and had a second career as a computer systems analyst.

Lang always took great pride in his Princeton education. He also was devoted to the Episcopal Church.

Divorced, he is survived by his son, Marc, and his daughters, Megan and Agnes. The class extends its sympathy to them in their loss, as Greg Sheridan said, of a gifted, productive, and decent human being.

The Class of 1951

Will Reeves Gregg Jr. ’53

Will’s maternal grandfather, financier George Allen, was chairman of Duke University’s board of trustees but, fortunately for us, Will chose Princeton. He died of leukemia June 9, 2006, in Cincinnati.

Born in New York City, he attended the Buckley School before entering Woodberry Forest. At Princeton, he was advertising manager of The Tiger, and after obtaining ads from the Stork Club and La Rue, he enjoyed taking his dates to these Manhattan nightspots. Will belonged to the Republican Club and took his meals at Colonial. In 1956, after serving as a lieutenant in the field artillery, he joined Procter & Gamble.

In 1964, Will purchased Bissinger’s Candy Co., a high-end confectioner in Cincinnati, which he operated until his retirement. His four-year roommate Charles Barham said: “Will was kind, considerate, and very loyal to his friends. He was an incredibly loving father to his sons, Will R. III ’82 and A. Dandridge, and his six grandchildren.”

Will also is survived by his wife of 18 years, the former Mary Beth Schwing, and first cousins, J. Winston Fowlkes III ’55 and George A. Fowlkes ’57. We appreciate Barham, Pierce Lonergan, and Harry Walker representing ’53 at his funeral. Our sincere sympathy to Will’s family.

The Class of 1953

Richard King III ’53

Dick died peacefully June 9, 2006, from Lou Gehrig’s disease in Corpus Christi, Texas.

He attended Exeter and received a degree in politics at Princeton and an MBA from Columbia. His journey was shaped by the closing legacy of the frontier, the ranching culture of South Texas, his family, his schooling in the Northeast, a lifelong career in banking, and his love of quail hunting and golf.

As a young boy, Dick experienced the old ranch traditions rarely practiced today, like gathering a remuda of hundreds of horses, dragging calves to the brand, and shipping cattle by railroad. He was at ease with many different people — from vaqueros to world leaders — and he treated them all the same. His energy was positive, enthusiastic, and full of humor. He loved the camaraderie, the bet, the stories, the jokes, watching dogs work a covey, and the good feeling of friends together.

Dick was preceded in death by his beloved wife, the former Florence Shinkle. He is survived by his children, Richard IV, whom we thank for writing this memorial, James, and Marie, and eight grandchildren. Pallbearers included Jervis Finney and Richard Calvert ’54, and Dick’s four-year college roommates, Jonathan Calvert, Hal Kelly, and Mack Harris.

The Class of 1953

John Maxmillian Weis ’53 *54

Jack joined the Navy and literally saw the world during a notable 42-year career serving our country. He retired in 1983 as a captain, and died of cancer May 4, 2006, in Palm Coast, Fla.

An Olean (N.Y.) High School graduate, he became known as one of the most able servers at Commons. When he became head waiter, Dick Kirk and Jack’s other roommates good-naturedly were envious of the high wages he made. Dick fondly remembers Jack as a jolly “rah-rah” guy. He belonged to Quadrangle Club, became an Orange Key officer, and was on the Undergraduate Council. He obtained a master’s degree in civil engineering at Princeton.

Jack served as commander for naval construction forces and shore activity and received the Meritorious Service Medal, the Navy Commendation Medal, and the Vietnam Service Medal. After leaving the Navy, he became vice president of David Volkert Engineering and later was associated with WRF Inc.

Survivors include Mina, his wife of four years; son Nicholas J.; stepsons Robert Go, Ronald Go, and Richard Go; stepdaughter Georgina Afar; and six grandchildren. They have our warm condolences.

The Class of 1953

John W. Wood Jr. ’54

John died July 10, 2006, of pneumonia in Baltimore, Md. For the past four years, he had suffered from myotonic dystrophy. Despite his increasing disability, he was able to attend our 50th with support from his family.

John was born in Queens, N.Y., and graduated from the Brooklyn Technical Institute. At Princeton, he majored in English and joined Elm Club. He left Princeton after his sophomore year to complete military service in the Army and returned to graduate with the Class of 1956.

After graduation he became an actuary and a fellow of the Society of Actuaries. His career included work as a consulting actuary for the Government Accountability Office and serving as a vice president for TPF&C (Towers Perrin) and Alexander & Alexander.

Next to his family, John loved Princeton most dearly. He attended Reunions, football games, and was especially fond of Princeton basketball. The class extends its sympathy to Winifred, his wife of 49 years; his four children, Charles ’70, John III, Susan, and Margaret; and grandchildren, Charles ’00, Elizabeth ’03, John IV, and Billy.

The Class of 1954


Jack died April 20, 2006, at his home in Newark, N.Y., after a brief battle with cancer.

He was born in Auburn, N.Y., and graduated from East High School, where he was a key member of the championship football team. At Princeton he sang in the Glee Club and was a member of Key & Seal. Upon graduation he married his longtime friend Lynn MacKay.

Jack began a career in retailing with Bonwit Teller in New York and Chicago. Shortly after he moved to the Rochester area, he began working in life insurance and financial planning. He became a chartered life underwriter and financial consultant, and earned a master’s in financial services and a life membership in the Million-Dollar Roundtable.

He was an elder, trustee, and faithful choir member of Park Presbyterian Church in Newark, president of the Newark-Wayne Community Hospital Board and a founding member of the board of the Finger Lakes Area Hospitals Corp.

At his family’s summer cottage on Cayuga Lake, N.Y., Jack’s sense of humor and dry wit never deserted him, even in the face of his serious illness.

Jack is survived by his wife, Lynn; three sons, John Jr., Stuart, and Bruce; and seven grandchildren. The class extends deepest sympathy to all the family.

The Class of 1960


Peter died March 6, 2006, after a long illness.

He prepared for Princeton at Eastside High in Paterson, N.J., and at Andover, where he was president of the National Honor Society, a varsity swimmer, and a member of the mathematics and debating clubs.

At Princeton, he majored in biology and wrote a thesis titled “Effects of Spleenectomy on Transplantation Tolerance.” A member of Court Club and the Orange Key Guide Service, he also was on the crew his freshman and sophomore years.

After graduation, Peter completed medical school and became a respected teacher and physician at St. Thomas Hospital after moving to Nashville in 1972.

He is survived by a sister, Paula Miller; brothers Michael and Danny; and several nieces and nephews. The class extends its deepest sympathy to all Peter’s family.

The Class of 1960


Bill died of pancreatic cancer April 11, 2006, in Antigua, British West Indies.

He prepared for Princeton at Westminster School and was vice president of Elm Club, president of the Bridge Club, and secretary of the Savoyards.

After graduation, Bill served in the Army and then began a career with the Speakman Co., which had been founded by his grand-

father. He succeeded his father as president and then as chairman, a position he held until his death. Bill also served as president of the Foundation for Economic Education and as a board member of the Independent Institute, organizations established to advance free-market principles and ideas.

Bill was a member of the steering committee of the Campaign for Delaware to raise $225 million for the University of Delaware; a trustee of Tower Hill School and of Sweet Briar College; and on the boards of the Wilmington Library, the University of Delaware Library Associates, and the Nantucket Atheneum.

Bill’s wife, Stephanie du Pont Bredin Speakman; his daughter, Isabella Pearson Speakman Johnson; his sister, Susie Speakman Sutch; his stepson, Samuel Irenée du Pont Hyland; stepdaughter, Octavia du Pont Bredin Jones; a granddaughter; and several nieces survive him. The class extends its deepest sympathy to all his family.

The Class of 1960


Bob died Oct. 10, 2003, from congestive heart failure, the result of emphysema.

He was born in Cincinnati and served in the Army before becoming a rancher in Colorado. He and his wife, Sharon Northrup, raised quarter horses in Gunnison for nine years before moving to a ranch in Crawford, Colo., in 1980. Bob was very active in the local NPR station, KVNF, as a supporter and disc jockey, bringing bluegrass music to the North Fork Valley.

He is survived by his wife; their two sons, Jay Charles and Robert Pogue Jr.; a grandchild; and a brother, Marcus W. Ziegler III. The class extends its deepest sympathy to all the family.

The Class of 1960

Katherine Mary Schoeffler ’80

Katherine Mary Schoeffler died Jan. 27, 2004, at Duke University Medical Center from a ruptured aorta. She was 44.

Kathy was born March 10, 1959, the daughter of Winafred N. Schoeffler and the late Dwight Schoeffler ’46 of Sarasota, Fla.

Kathy was a doctoral candidate in the clinical informatics division of biomedical engineering at the Pratt School of Engineering, the first woman at Pratt to pursue a doctorate in her specialization: standardizing the coding of medical descriptions for clinical analysis. She did not finish her doctorate, but friends say that Kathy mentored them so that they could succeed.

Kathy’s dedication earned her grants and the National Library of Medicine Fellowship in Applied Informatics. She was passionate about Scottish country dancing, which she learned about at Princeton, and she danced with several groups. Kathy was a certified dance teacher, trained in Scotland.

Kathy is survived by her mother; her brothers, Bill and his wife, Kim; Fred and his wife, Jeanne; and Tom; three nephews; and one niece. A burial service was held in Durham, N.C., Feb. 7, 2004, followed by a reception celebrating Kathy’s life. Kathy was known as a kind and generous woman, and the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1980

Graduate Alumni

Hugo Roomann *57

Hugo Roomann, prominent Cincinnati architect, died June 1, 2006. He was 83.

Born in Tallinn, Estonia, in 1923, Rooman escaped the Soviet occupation of Estonia during World War II, fled to Finland, and fought for that country against the Russian invasion there. He lost a leg to gangrene from a war injury.

While living in West Germany after the war, he graduated from Braunschweig University with a degree in architecture. He came to the United States in 1951 with his wife and infant daughter, with few funds and many dreams.

Roomann was admitted to the Princeton Graduate School of Architecture in 1955 and graduated with an MFA in 1957, succeeding in learning his fourth language (after Estonian, Finnish, and German). He worked in his own two-man architectural firm in New Jersey until he joined the prominent architectural and engineering firm of A.M. Kinney Co. in Cincinnati, working there from 1966 until retiring as a partner in 1989.

Roomann was active in Estonian-American organizations, the AIA, and the Princeton Club, among other organizations.

His wife of 60 years, Raja, died two months before him. He is survived by two daughters and four grandchildren.

This issue has an undergraduate memorial for John Maxmillian Weis ’53 *54.

DAMIEN DIXON *00, Electrical Engineering, Nov. 25, 2005

MICHAEL D. CAROLUS *05, Chemistry, Nov. 29, 2005

Edmund A. LeFevre *49

Edmund A. LeFevre of Wilmington, Del., died April 27, 2006. He was 81.

After graduating from Allendale School in 1942, LeFevre served in the Army Air Corps as an officer. He received a bachelor’s degree from Hamilton College in 1947, then earned a master’s in English from Princeton.

LeFevre taught secondary school English for 34 years, including 10 years at the Pingry School in Elizabeth, N.J., and 22 years at the Tatnall School in Wilmington. He was head of the English department at both schools. After his retirement, he taught for many years at the Academy of Lifelong Learning in Wilmington.

His wife, Nancy, writes that he “had a deep affection for Princeton, because he spent more time doing his graduate work there than he did on his undergraduate campus.”

In addition to his wife, LeFevre is survived by two children and three grandchildren. end of article


Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary