November 8, 2006: Memorials


Dick died of congestive heart failure June 14, 2006, at his home in Bethesda, Md.

He was born Sept. 11, 1910, in New York City and prepared for Princeton at the Horace Mann School. He graduated summa cum laude from Princeton, where he excelled in debating and oratory. He also was a member of the orchestra. In 1934 he earned a law degree from Harvard magna cum laude after which he clerked for federal Judge Julian Mack.

During the war Dick attained the rank of colonel in the Army. After the war he began a 27-year career with the World Bank, where, as director of the department of technical assistance, he headed World Bank missions in Brazil, Surinam, Burma, Spain, and Turkey.

Dick is survived by his wife of 57 years, Eunice; a daughter, Nancy Thompson; a sister; and two grandsons; to whom the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1931



Jack died July 6, 2006, after a long illness.

He prepared at Central High School in Memphis, Tenn., and through his whole life retained the warmth of his delightful Southern accent. When at Princeton, Jack rowed with the 150-pound crew and was a member of Triangle Club and Tower Club.

Jack was talented in many ways, and extended his friendship to help others. Those who were privileged to know Jack and his lovely wife, Francie, remember their hosting a mini-reunion while he headed the Chase Manhattan Bank in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.

Jack is survived by his beloved wife; children Nancy Gerber, John W. Gates III, and Norman Thomas Gates (named after his maternal grandfather, Norman Thomas 1905); and great-grandchildren Kaiden Lauren and Julia Gerber; to all of whom the class extends condolences.

The Class of 1931



Fred died May 20, 2006, in West Hartford, Conn.

He was born May 3, 1908, and graduated from Kingswood School in preparation for Princeton. While at Princeton, Fred was president of Court Club, was active in soccer and fencing, and was photography editor of the Prince. Senior year he was tireless as a member of the Memorial Committee.

He graduated from the Hartford College of Law in 1941 and entered the Army, serving as personal aide to the superintendent of West Point and attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. During his professional career, Fred received many honors for professional and public service. He was a deputy general of the Society of Colonial Wars, but increasingly indulged his love of nature as a member of the Limestone Trout Club.

Fred lost Mary, his wife of 58 years, in November 2005. He is survived by his son, Terry, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren, to whom the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1931


William H. White ’36

Bill died May 9, 2006, at Piper Shores in Scarborough, Maine. He was 91.

A graduate of Mercersburg Academy, he majored in political science at Princeton. After a year at Harvard Business School during World War II, Bill served two years with the Army Quartermaster Corps Research and Development Department in Chicago. He retired in 1945 as a first lieutenant after being awarded the Army Commendation Medal.

Bill worked for 32 years in the paper industry in Ohio and New Jersey, followed by selling computer software and real estate.

The Whites enjoyed traveling to Europe, Kenya, Russia, and Latin America. Summer vacations were spent at their cabin on Gouldsboro Bay in Corea, Maine.

Bill is survived by his wife, the former Jane Northup, whom he married in 1944; sons John N. and William B.; a daughter, Elizabeth W.; and four grandsons.

We of the Class of 1936 offer our sincere sympathy to Bill’s family. He indeed was a loyal Princetonian.

The Class of 1936


Charles Alexander Hughes ’40

Chuck died quietly June 21, 2006, after a long illness.

He prepared at Staunton Military Academy, and transferred in 1937 from Northwestern University to Princeton. Among his relatives who attended Princeton was John Sharer Allen ’35.

At Princeton, he majored in art and archaeology, and was a member of Theatre Intime, the German Club, Spanish Club, and Gateway Club. He also earned a master’s in general and comparative linguistics from Columbia.

From 1942 to 1945, Chuck was a staff officer and interpreter in the Coast Guard. The rest of his life was devoted to the study of the world’s languages, and he wrote a number of books called the World Language Series. In the process, he traveled the world, freelancing as a cruise director and interpreter. For nine years he ran his own school of languages in which 125 languages were taught, including a dozen American Indian languages. “To secure those (American Indian languages), I had to go and live right on the reservations themselves,” he wrote in our 25th yearbook.

He was a member of the American Council of Learned Societies.

Chuck is survived by his sister, Helen Hafner; his brother, William; and the family of his deceased sister, Janet Stolz. His classmates offer them their deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Harvey died May 22, 2006, in his home in Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y. The youngest member of our class, he had hoped to attend our 65th reunion.

He prepared at the Richmond Hill School in New York City. At Princeton, he majored in biology, was on the dean’s list, and received departmental second group honors.

A member of Gateway Club, Harvey participated in crew, track, ski club, yacht club, and the Cane Spree. A notable accomplishment was that Harvey was one of the few who managed to take the clapper from the clock on Nassau Hall, thereby earning the nickname “Clapper.” He later donated the stolen clapper to the University archives.

Harvey earned a medical degree from New York University Medical School in 1944, and then served as a captain in the Army until 1947.

After retiring from the active practice of medicine, he was proud to attend the graduation of his daughter, Lorraine, from Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons on May 17.

He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Yvonne; their daughter, Lorraine; his children from his former marriage, Wendy and Jon; and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



“Pete” Bergen died July 13, 2006, after a long bout with prostate cancer, at his home in Dundee, Ore., with his family in attendance.

Born in Ocean Grove, N.J., he prepped at Neptune (N.J.) High School and the Peddie School. At Princeton, he was manager of the squash team and a member of the varsity lacrosse team and Cap and Gown Club. His roommates included Dick Amundsen and Dutton Bothwell. He earned a degree in psychology in 1943, entered a Navy midshipman school, and served two years on attack transports, where he saw action at Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Afterward, he graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, married his wife, Pamela, in 1955, and worked as an attorney in Manhattan, including service at Rockefeller Center and New York Life Insurance Co. They raised their family in Demarest, N.J., then retired to Oregon in 1990.

Pete was predeceased by his brother, Robert C. Bergen ’37. His father-in-law was John Burt Holmes ’16.

His survivors include Pamela; three sons, David, Andrew, and Pieter; two daughters, Julia Bergen and Anne Halstead; and six grandchildren.

Pete wrote in our 40th-reunion directory, “I’d like the opportunity to do it again, with the same guys.” He taught his family that affection for Princeton. Our condolences go to them.

The Class of 1944



John died March 27, 2006.

He entered Princeton from Birmingham University School, following in the footsteps of his father, John Sr. 1908. He was a member of Court Club. He majored in mechanical engineering and joined the Navy V-12 program, which sent him to Cornell in 1943. He then was commissioned from Midshipman School at Columbia in early 1945. He completed his extensive Ivy education by attending the Navy Communication School at Harvard before being assigned to the USS Hornet, where he served as communications officer.

After receiving his degree in 1947, John joined the Alabama Power Co. but was recalled for service in the Korean War, serving as communications officer for the commander of Carrier Division III. After rejoining Alabama Power he became manager of the company’s environmental affairs and served on the Alabama Air Pollution Control Commission before his retirement from Alabama Power in 1986.

John married the former Dixie Hayes, who predeceased him in 1998. He is survived by his daughters, Janie Farley Behr and Martha Farley Walker; a stepdaughter, Linda Stanford; his brother, Joseph Farley ’49; and five grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to all of the family.

The Class of 1945


James Gregg Dougherty Jr. ’47 *49

After two years in the Navy as an electrician’s mate, Jim returned to Princeton and graduated in 1948. In 1949 he earned a master’s degree in electrical engineering from Princeton and married his beloved spouse, Jeanne.

They stayed on in Princeton when Jim joined the Kelly Co. in New York. (During these long trips he “learned the art of folding The New York Times lengthwise.”) Fortunately, Jim was promoted and posted to Maryland, happily relieving him of the grinding daily commute to New York. Kelly became Vitro Laboratories, and Jim worked on managing and designing military and other electronics projects.

After retirement in 1991, Jim’s life centered on tennis (in which he had long excelled), golf, cruising the Chesapeake, wintering in a family home in Florida, and, above all, life with Jeanne and the family.

Jim died Jan. 30, 2006. His brother, Bob ’50, delivered a loving tribute at his memorial service that recounted many happy childhood experiences that portrayed Jim’s loving guidance as a mentor. After the war they enjoyed two wonderful years (1946 to 1948) together as Princeton students. Bob concluded: “Jim was a gentleman in every sense . . . courteous and kind, gentle but not weak . . . honest to the core.”

We, too, celebrate these enviable qualities and send our affection to the family.

The Class of 1947


William F. Wright ’47

“Wid” Wright led a rich life, dedicated to his ministry and service to others.

During World War II he served in the Coast Guard aboard troop ships, participating in the invasions of Leyte, Lingayen Gulf, and Okinawa.

He began Princeton in 1946, married Anne Parsons in 1947, and graduated in 1949. He said his Princeton experience was “invaluable in providing a broader view of life” that helped him to discern the deep-seated values that guided his pastoral career.

In 1955 he became a committed Episcopalian; in 1964 he abandoned a promising career in his family business and began studies leading to his ordination in 1969. He served as rector of St. Thomas’ Church (“under the big sky”) in Rawlins, Wyo., and later at St. Stephen’s Church in Sierra Vista, Ariz.

In 1988 health problems forced his retirement, but Wid pursued his longtime passion, astronomy. Anne died suddenly in 1995. Fortunately, Wid’s desolation and despair were relieved by his happy marriage to longtime family friend Joyce Wick.

Wid died Dec. 3, 2005. The lodestar of his career was providing deep-seated love, friendship, and service to others. “A truly creative life,” he wrote, “comes as we enjoy each other by loving and sharing with each other.”

We celebrate his career, and tender our heartfelt sympathy to Joyce and to Wid’s four children.

The Class of 1947


William Draper Blair Jr. ’48

The class lost one of its most distinguished members with the death of Bill Blair Aug. 5, 2006.

Bill had two major careers. He worked for the State Department from 1959 to 1980, retiring as deputy assistant secretary for public affairs. During those years he was active in environmental organizations, including the Audubon Naturalist Society and the Nature Conservancy. Bill served as president of the Nature Conservancy, a land preservation organization, from 1980 to 1987.

A native of Charlotte, N.C., Bill joined us via Hotchkiss. At Princeton he won the English prize, dined at Cottage, and was in the Press Club. After graduating magna cum laude in 1949, he was married and joined the Baltimore Sun. As a Sun war correspondent, he was sent to Korea, where he picked up a bullet in the chest and a Purple Heart. In 1953 he joined Newsweek to become bureau chief in Bonn and Paris before being recruited by the State Department.

His family’s longtime home in Washington became what is now known as Blair House, a place where visiting White House dignitaries stay.

Bill is survived by Jane, his wife of 57 years; daughters Jane and Liz; and four granddaughters. In recent years Jane and Bill divided their time between Washington and Vinalhaven, Maine. The class conveys its condolences and shares in this loss.

The Class of 1948



Jim died Feb 16, 2006. He was 77.

He prepared for Princeton at Bordentown (N.J.) Military Institute. He served in the Army from 1946 until 1948.

After leaving the Army, Jim was a professional musician and worked as an electronic technician until 1961, when he was ordained as a pastor in the Presbyterian Church. He served the church for 45 years and was still active as a supply pastor.

At the time of his death he was serving at Valley View Community Church in Animas, N.M.

Jim is survived by his wife, Joan; sons David and Andrew; daughters Linda Pruitt, Lois Mcleod, Vickie Lucero, Karen Wiest-Parthun, Stephanie Camper, and Rebekah James; 23 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949



Fred died Oct. 15, 2005. He was 78.

He came to Princeton as a Navy V-12 student in June 1945 and left after the first term of his sophomore year. He later graduated from Huntington College in his hometown of Montgomery, Ala. While on campus he was an announcer for WPRU and a member of Whig-Clio.

Fred worked for Appleton Wire Works (later a division of Albany International Corp.), from which he retired as regional sales manager. He subsequently served as vice president of development at Huntington College, and served as a state representative for Essex County, Ala. He was involved in many civic activities.

Fred is survived by his wife, Valerie; daughters Kathleen Magnan, Alice Durkee, and Anne Tippett; and six grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to them.

The Class of 1949



Will was born March 14, 1929, and went to Columbia High School in Maplewood, N.J. His father was Stuart W. Hamilton ’23.

At Princeton he was an English major, graduating cum laude. He was a member of Tiger Inn. He roomed with Holland Donan, Chambless Johnston, and Harold Urschel, and sang with the Nassoons, the Chapel Choir, and Triangle. In 1954, Will married Diane Broderick in the University Chapel.

Will was with the Reader’s Digest Association for 27 years and was its San Francisco manager responsible for advertising sales in 14 states when he became a consultant in 1984. Will was active in the Bohemian Club and St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco, volunteered with the USO, and, with Diane, worked with Guide Dogs for the Blind.

Will died Jan. 1, 2006, in Ashland, Ore. Diane survives him, as do their five children, Willard, Wendy Hoelscher, J. Douglas, Scott A., and Lelia Perez; 12 grandchildren; and his brother, Robert. Another brother, Stuart, predeceased him. Memorial contributions may be made to the Rogue Valley Dialysis Patient Trust Fund in Medford, Ore.

The Class of 1951



Dick died June 10, 2006, of congestive heart failure.

He was born Sept. 9, 1929, in Syracuse, N.Y. Princeton is and has been very much a part of his family: His father was Robert Howe ’23, his grandfather was Charles

Howe 1999, and his brother Charles is *57. He went to high school in Toms River, N.J., and majored in history at Princeteon, where he was in NROTC and a member of Quadrangle Club.

On June 12, 1951, Dick graduated from Princeton, received his commission in the Navy, and married Kathleen “Kit” Vaughan. A wonderful day!

Dick’s 30-year Navy career included five ocean-going commands and two tours as chief of staff, one with Amphibious Group Two in Norfolk, Va., and the other with the Southern Command Group in Panama, where he assisted in turning over the Panama Canal to the Panamanian government. He retired in 1984 as a captain. He then joined Payne-Lendman, a national personnel consulting firm, where he became senior vice president, retiring for good in 1998.

Dick was an active churchman and master gardener.

He is survived by Kit; three children, twins Leslie H. Cordova and Mark, and Barbara L.; his grandson, Calvin Howe; and a brother, Charles.

The Class of 1951



Stan was born Jan. 25, 1929, and prepared for Princeton at Deerfield, from which he graduated cum laude.

At Princeton he roomed with Bill Rahill, was a member of Colonial and assistant business manager of The Daily Princetonian, and earned a bachelor’s in economics magna cum laude. From 1951 to 1953 he served as a lieutenant junior grade on the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany.

In 1956, Stan married Lynn Stuart of Cincinnati. The following year he was a Baker Scholar and earned an MBA with high distinction from Harvard.

Stan had an outstanding business career. For 10 years he worked at TRW in Cleveland as a contract administrator. From there he went to Rockwell Manufacturing, J.P. Morgan (where he was vice president in charge of corporate development), General Instrument Corp., and finally, in 1976, to Bausch & Lomb in Rochester, N.Y., where he was senior vice president when he retired in 1990. He was at one time chairman of the board of Genesee Hospital and of the Allendale Columbia Schools.

Stan died in Rochester Feb. 14, 2006, of post-surgical respiratory failure. He is survived by Lynn; their children, Stanley III, Caroline Tucker, Louise Middleton, and Katherine Denny; 11 grandchildren; and his brother, Thurston.

The Class of 1951



Sandy was a well-known public figure. Born Dec. 12, 1929, he came to us from Andover.

At Princeton he roomed with Dave Adams and Mike Winton, was an assistant editor of the Prince, and vice president of Cottage Club. He was an SPIA major and graduated cum laude. He served in the Marine Corps during the Korean War, was awarded a Bronze Star, and was promoted to major while in the Reserve.

Sandy was president of Esso Standard Oil of Puerto Rico before becoming assistant secretary of commerce in 1965 and serving as secretary of commerce until 1968. Thereafter he was president of the American Manage-

ment Association prior to moving to the Conference Board. In 1976 Sandy was vice chairman of Allied Chemical Corp., and in 1979 took over the National Association of Manufacturers, from which he stepped down in 1990.

Sandy died April 27, 2006, of Lewy body dementia, a progressive brain disease. His marriage to Nancey Horst ended in divorce. He is survived by his wife, Eleanor Kann Hutzler Trowbridge; the children from his first marrage, Stephen, Corrin, and Kimberly Parent; stepchildren Barbara Verdaguer and Charles Hutzler; nine grandchildren; his sister, Julie Cullen; and stepsister Joya Cox. His memorial service was held at the Washington National Cathedral.

The Class of 1951



Ed Caddy died April 17, 2006, of congestive heart failure at his home in Bolingbrook, Ill., having decided against further hospitalization. After a serious heart attack in the early 1980s, his health had become increasingly frail.

Ed came to Princeton after a two-year enlistment in the Marine Corps following his graduation from Adelphi Academy in Brooklyn. At Princeton he majored in architecture and was a member of Tower Club. Before his marriage to Mary Ortiz in 1951, he roomed with Bill Healey and Jim Rockwell.

A sergeant in the Marine Corps Reserve while at Princeton, Ed was commissioned upon graduation. Following an injury in a training accident, he was discharged six months later.

He returned to Princeton and earned an MFA in architecture in 1955. After a stint in Cleveland, he joined Raymond & Rado in New York City. Rising to president by 1980, he was forced to close the firm in 1983 because of an economic downturn. Ed and Mary then moved to San Francisco, where he worked as a projects manager until retiring in 1997.

In winds fair or foul, Ed always kept his dry sense of humor. The class extends deepest sympathy to Mary; his son, Edmund III; daughter Elizabeth; and two grandchildren.

The Class of 1952


Richard Atcheson ’56

Richard Atcheson died peacefully March 23, 2006. His wife of 44 years, Jean, and his daughter Katie were with him.

At Princeton, Atch majored in English and was a member of Campus Club. He helped co-found the Boomerangs quartet and joined the Princeton Tigertones, serving in his senior year as their musical director. In recent years he joyfully joined a small group of 1950s Tones who met annually in New England to sing.

Atch wrote the “On the Campus” column in the Princeton Alumni Weekly for an entire year. He learned the newspaper business as Jack Mabley’s “legman” at the Chicago Daily News. Senior editor and feature writing positions followed at national magazines, including Holiday Magazine, The Saturday Evening Post, Saturday Review, Lear’s, and AARP The Magazine, where he was executive editor at his retirement.

A memorial service was held in April at Trinity Church in Princeton and a gathering in June at his home. Both were attended by many friends, old and new, and featured music he loved and stories he loved to tell.

In addition to his wife, Atch leaves two daughters, Dorothy and Katie, and a son, Nicholas; three foster children, Kate, Michael, and Brian Skinner; and his sister, Maryellen VanderSluis, and her family. The class extends deep sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1956


Edmund F. Goldman ’57

Ed died of heart failure Aug. 23, 2006, in Little Rock, Ark.

He was born in Boston but spent much of his life in Little Rock. At Princeton, he majored in history, joined Cannon Club, and was president of our senior class. He was active in the undergraduate council and chairman of WPRU’s sports department. His senior roommates were Bob Torrey, Cullom Davis, Neal McCorvie, and Dave Grumhaus.

After graduation Ed worked for Young & Rubicam for several years. In 1960 he moved to Muskogee, Okla., where he and his family ran Calhoun’s department store and subsequently sold it to Dillard’s. In the late 1970s he became vice president of marketing at Phoenix Federal Savings, and later held positions at Yaffe Iron and Bacone College in Muskogee.

Ed loved sports and community service. He broadcast high school sports events, coached baseball for kids, and was active in the Lions Club.

His first wife, Isabel Burnham, died in 1984. He is survived by his wife, Louise Kennedy; son George and his wife, Tracy; daughter Melissa, her husband, Sanford Roberds, and their daughter, Lauren; and his brother, Ralph.

Ed was a warm and caring individual. Jim Conner, Bob Traband, and Jim Pinkerton attended his funeral. The class sends condolences to his family and many friends.

The Class of 1957


William Alexander Porteous III ’59

“Ports” died of esophageal cancer March 30, 2006.

He came to Princeton from the Taft School and entered the Woodrow Wilson School. A native of New Orleans, he epitomized the southern gentleman, a role he filled as a stalwart of Colonial Club.

Ports rowed on the freshman and lightweight crews, and in 1957, went to England with the crew that won the Henley Cup.

After Princeton he returned to New Orleans, graduating first in his class at Tulane Law School. His first law job was in the district attorney’s office under Jim Garrison. He went on to specialize in maritime and insurance defense law. In 2005 he received the Distinguished Maritime Lawyer Award from the New Orleans Bar Association. An adjunct professor at Tulane for more than 20 years, he wrote a two-volume text for his course on maritime law.

Former roommates Dave Warren and Robbie Richards participated in his memorial service in New Orleans, at which his son, Will, delivered a eulogy, and his daughter, Keith ’99, sang “Amazing Grace.” Bill’s ashes were scattered to join those of his parents at his beloved Sunshine Plantation.

In addition to his son and daughter, Bill is survived by his wife, Sylvia.

The Class of 1959


Horace Donaldson Stephens ’59

Horace died of lung disease Dec. 6, 2005, at his home in Falmouth, Maine.

Born in Pittsfield, Mass., Horace was preceded at Princeton by his father, the Rev. John Underwood Stephens ’24, and a brother, Dr. Wade C. Stephens ’54, both of whom predeceased him. Horace entered Princeton in 1952 from the Lawrenceville School, but left at the end of his sophomore year to join the Army. He returned in 1957 as a member of the Class of 1959, majored in philosophy, and ate at Terrace Club.

After graduating, he earned a master’s in teaching from Johns Hopkins and began a career as a mathematics and computer teacher. He taught at Tabor Academy, Shady-

side Academy, and Waynflete School in the 1960s and 1970s, introducing his students to computer theory and operation when general computer use was in its infancy, an accomplishment of which he was extremely proud. In the 1970s he became a software designer in the field of directional oil drilling, forming the Houston Directional Software Co., which he ran until his retirement.

He is survived by Susan, his wife of 48 years; five children; and eight grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1959


Elliot J. Rothschild ’64

Elliot died of cancer April 29, 2006, with his family at his bedside. He was 64.

Born and raised in Columbus, Ga., he prepared at Columbus High School and Valley Forge Military Academy. At Princeton he majored in architecture, played football and rugby, and was a member of Charter Club.

After Princeton, Elliot received degrees in architecture and industrial management from Georgia Institute of Technology and in architecture from the University of Pennsylvania. His postgraduate education was interrupted by service as a captain in the Army Corps of Engineers, when he earned an Army Com-mendation Medal and a Bronze Star in Vietnam.

All this prepared him well for a successful career in architecture and urban development in the Philadelphia area, including founding Baker Rothschild Horn Blyth and the Rothschild Co. He also worked with Bower Lewis Thrower, Architects.

To Elliot’s survivors — his wife, Sandra; daughters Stephanie, Sandra, and Karen; and son Wilson — his classmates offer their sincere condolences.

The Class of 1964


Graduate Alumni

Edmund A. LeFevre *49

Edmund A. LeFevre of Wilmington, Del., died April 27, 2006. He was 81.

After graduating from Allendale School in 1942, LeFevre served in the Army Air Corps as an officer. He received a bachelor’s degree from Hamilton College in 1947, then earned a master’s in English from Princeton.

LeFevre taught secondary school English for 34 years, including 10 years at the Pingry School in Elizabeth, N.J., and 22 years at the Tatnall School in Wilmington. He was head of the English department at both schools. After his retirement, he taught for many years at the Academy of Lifelong Learning in Wilmington.

His wife, Nancy, writes that he “had a deep affection for Princeton, because he spent more time doing his graduate work there than he did on his undergraduate campus.”

In addition to his wife, LeFevre is survived by two children and three grandchildren.


This issue undergraduate memorials for James Gregg Dougherty Jr. ’47 *49 and Edmund H.H. Caddy Jr. ’52 *55.

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary