February 14, 2007: Memorials


Fred Lombard, an attorney for Parsons, Canzona, Blair & Warren in Red Bank, N.J., for 25 years, retiring in 1982, died Nov. 25, 2006. The cause, according to his daughter, Susan Hoyt, was a “massive” heart attack. He was 94 and had had heart trouble for many years.

“Having trouble,” he wrote a classmate in 2001, “with an aortic aneurism.” In 2004 he wrote, “Doctor put a new battery in my pacemaker.”

Fred was a member of All Saints Episcopal Church in Bay Head, N.J. He served for many years as house counsel for Red Bank Savings & Loan Association and was active in the New Jersey Savings and Loan League, where he chaired its legal committee. He was Brielle, N.J., magistrate for two years and attorney for the Brielle Board of Education for 25 years. He was an honorary member of the Monmouth County Bar Association.

Surviving, besides Susan and her husband, William, are his wife of 61 years, Yvonne Buckler Lombard; two sons and a daughter-in-law, Paul Lombard and Chris and Mary Lombard; and seven grandchildren, Kate, Anne, Ryan, Katie, Matthew, Juliana, and Kristen.

The Class of 1934

Francis Andrew Ambrose ’39

Frank died Oct. 10, 2006, at his home in Lincoln Park, N.J.

After graduating from Temple University Medical School, Frank settled in Paterson, N.J. He served as a major in the Army Medical Surgery Corps in Germany during World War II, then returned to Paterson and started his own practice. His entire medical career was spent there except for 1969 and 1970, when he moved to Long Beach, Calif. There he was medical director for the southern division of Southern California Edison Co. After a year, he and his family became homesick and returned to New Jersey. He retired from his practice there in 1984.

He and his wife, the former Shirley Rusk, whom he married in 1951, loved to travel.

Frank recalled his Princeton days as a growing-up experience he enjoyed more than any other four years of his life. When Jack Kennedy was elected president, Frank sent him his Freshman Herald and asked Kennedy to autograph it, which he did. Kennedy also sent along a nice note.

Frank was preceded in death by Shirley as well as by their daughter Blanche. He is survived by his sons, Michael and Daniel; his daughters, Mary, Lorraine, and Celia; and six grandchildren. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


George Marshall Hornblower ’39

Whistle died Oct. 6, 2006, at home in Washington, D.C.

He came to us from Groton School. He majored in classics, joined Ivy Club, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. As coxswain, he led the varsity crew to the 1936 Olympic trials.

Whistle graduated from Yale Law School before entering the Navy for war service in Washington. He then went into law practice and was a founding partner of Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering. He served many major clients, and for 44 years was counsel to the Carnegie Institution. His colleagues considered him a master draftsman in complex negotiations. It was said that with his literary skills, he used style and words as an artist uses easel and oils.

He had many hobbies. Foremost was the family home on U Street, which he and his wife, Marne, bought in 1948, and then renovated and expanded. Passionate about trees and ferns, he created an arboretum at home. Equally passionate about sailing, he earned his nickname racing boats on Long Island Sound, the Potomac, and Michigan’s lakes.

Whistle and Marne Lloyd-Smith were married in 1940. Marne died in 2004. He is survived by three daughters; son Jonathan ’73; 11 grandchildren (including Dune Lawrence ’97); and four great-grandchildren. To them all, we send deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1939


C. Frank Kireker Jr. ’39

Frank died in his sleep Sept. 6, 2006, at a nursing home in Ridgewood, N.J. He was 88.

He came to us from Montclair Academy, majored in economics, joined Key and Seal, and was active in intramural and club sports. After graduating from Harvard Business School in 1941, he began a distinguished military career as a navigator of B-24s in the 15th Air Force, based in Italy. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters.

Frank was in banking for many years with Guaranty Trust in New York until starting a personal investment management business. Always closely involved in community and charitable activities in New Jersey, Frank was generous throughout his life to many local groups and was recognized with a distinguished service award for outstanding community leadership.

Devoted to Princeton, Frank was a major contributor to Annual Giving, various University causes, and our own class funds. He and Janet, his wife of 58 years, were proud of their Princeton progeny, son Charles Kireker III ’72 and grandson Matthew Kireker ’07. We send our deepest sympathy to Janet; Frank and Janet’s daughter, Sally Faulkner; Charles; Matthew; and the other five grandchildren.

The Class of 1939


Oliver Howard Reeder ’39

Ollie died of pneumonia Aug. 17, 2006, at his home in Towson, Md.

A chemistry major and member of Phi Beta Kappa at Princeton, he returned home after college to work in the Baltimore Copper Paint Co., which his grandfather founded in 1870. Thrust into the war effort between 1941 and 1945, the company manufactured vessel coatings for the U.S. Maritime Commission, the Navy, and the British Admiralty. As president of the company, Ollie worked there until his retirement in 1976.

A trustee of Johns Hopkins Hospital for 30 years, he also served on the boards of countless institutions. For many years he served on the Princeton Schools Committee.

Ollie was a skilled sailor and “absolutely passionate about the sea,” his daughter said. He spent many vacations on the water with his wife, Nancy, whom he married in 1942. He sailed or raced in countries from Norway to Bermuda, often competing against the king of Norway. Another passion was beekeeping. The honey from his hives won many awards at the Maryland State Fair.

He is survived by Nancy; their daughters Nancy and Ellen; and granddaughter Leyla. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Henry Lawton Wightman Jr. ’39

Hank died peacefully Oct. 25, 2006, at his home in Wimberly, Texas.

A member of Terrace Club at Princeton, he majored in politics and participated in ROTC, which gave him an opportunity to shoot, a horse to ride (fox hunts on weekends), and the camaraderie of many friends; and made him an officer when he volunteered to serve in the military intelligence service in World War II. He was sent as military attaché to Nicaragua and El Salvador and as assistant military attaché to the American embassy in Mexico. He was awarded the U.S. Legion of Merit, and Mexico awarded him the Merito Militar.

Beginning as an international underwriter in Venezuela, he started a company there in 1950 for Houston’s Adams & Porter, later started his own agency, sold it, joined Johnson & Higgins, and on retirement, joined Lloyd’s of London. A lover of the outdoors, he was an accomplished hunter, sailor, fisherman, and horseman.

Hank and Dorothy Wilson were married in 1944. After her death he moved to the Texas hill country with his daughter, Alice. She survives, as do his son William; daughter Julia; and six grandchildren. We offer them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Robert Kettering Williams ’40

Bob died Oct. 22, 2006, in Naples, Fla.

He prepared for Princeton at Highland Park High School in Detroit. At Princeton, he majored in chemical engineering, graduating with high honors and election to Phi Beta Kappa.

“R.K.,” as many of us knew him, was in the Glee Club, the Princeton Engineering Society, the student chapter of the American Society of Chemical Engineers, and Campus Club.

His business career began in 1940 as a research engineer at General Motors, where he worked on synthetic rubber development during World War II. Thereafter, he joined Lubrizol Co. in Cleveland, Ohio, where he became an officer and member of the board of directors before his retirement in 1981.

He was active in the American Heart Association, was a trustee of Hillcrest and Booth hospitals in Cleveland, and was a member of the mayor’s task force in Cleveland.

Bob married Jeanne Roche in 1941. Upon retirement, they moved to Pinehurst, N.C., “to improve our opportunities for golf and horseback riding.” After 1989, they also lived in Harbor Springs and Palm Beach, Fla.

To Jeanne; their daughter, Nancy Culver Williams; and Bob’s sister, Jane Williams Walker, we wish to extend our sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940



Bob died Oct. 24, 2006, a month after heart surgery.

Raised in England, he attended schools there and in Lausanne and St. Gallen, Switzerland, finishing at Andover.

At Princeton he majored in modern languages, was captain of the championship soccer team and captain of the rugby team, and served as vice president of Quadrangle Club.

During World War II, Bob was a German translator for Naval intelligence and then served a PT-boat squadron in the South Pacific, where he earned a Bronze Star.

After military service, Bob worked for DuPont and then Robbins Mills before buying the weekly Moore County News in 1956. That year he was appointed to a vacancy on the Southern Pines, N.C., town council, and the following year he was elected mayor, thus beginning a long and distinguished career in community and political affairs.

He spent 20 years on the Moore County (N.C.) Board of Commissioners, served as county manager from 1980 to 1983, and served 30 years as a Moore Memorial Hospital trustee.

Predeceased by his first wife, Ann Mason Ewing, Bob is survived by his wife of 32 years, Katherine Royster Ewing; his daughters, Susan Sahrica, Fay Ewing, Roberta Listerman, Katherine Mayor, Marguerite Ewing, Katchy Whitlow, and Jennifer Cameron; his son, Robert; 16 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Tom died July 10, 2006, after a brief illness, at his home in Monterey, Calif.

He was a graduate of Principia School in St. Louis. At Princeton, he majored in the School of Public and International Affairs. He was on the fencing team, was a member of Whig-Clio and the Liberal Club, was manager of Student Room Service, and was vice president of Court Club. He roomed with Hugins and McClusky.

Tom won wings in March 1943 and was assigned to the 82nd Fighter Group in Africa, flying P-38s. He was transferred to Italy, and on his 29th mission, was shot down over Bulgaria and became a POW for seven months. Awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with five stars and the Purple Heart, he was separated as a captain.

Then entering the Foreign Service, Tom was posted to Bucharest and subsequently served in Germany, Romania, Italy, Greece, Somalia, and South Korea. He retired in 1977.

Tom moved to the Monterey area, where he entered the real estate and property-management business. At the time of our 50th reunion, he was manager of Coldwell Banker’s Monterey office.

Predeceased by his wife, Janet, he is survived by his children and stepchildren, Mary McMurty, Tom Jr., Vicky Lebricker, and Bette and Michael Grace.

The Class of 1941



Abbott died April 5, 2006.

He graduated from New Trier High School in Winnetka, Ill.

Abbott evidently left Princeton the latter part of junior year, but not before joining Terrace Club.

Unfortunately, he did not keep in touch with the class or the University. He did not reply to our questionnaires over the years until he responded for our 50th-reunion book. At that time he worked for the Real Estate Research Corp., which was headquartered in Chicago, and he lived in Glenview, Ill.

Abbott retired in 1983, but had already started a retirement business, Tower Engraving.

Predeceased by his wife, Donna Saxon Nelson, he is survived by his two sons, Randall and Kyle, and his two grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Ben Tyler died April 27, 2005.

Ben entered Princeton from Woodberry Forest and joined Ivy Club. His Princeton career was terminated in 1943 by service as an officer with the 1st Cavalry Division in the Pacific theater, and he did not return to Princeton after that service. After the war, he married the former Bettie Golden and started a lifelong career with the Williams Lumber Co. in Columbus, Ga.

In our 25th yearbook of 1970, Ben reported that he was president of the lumber company and investing heavily in land-development corporations and residential construction. Ben and Bettie had four children, three daughters and a son, all of whom survive him, along with seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

The class expresses its sympathy to Bettie; son Benjamin Jr.; daughters Barbara Frickel, Virginia Hammond, and Cynthia Davis; and to the extended family generations.

The Class of 1945



Russ died Nov. 22, 2006, in Laconia, N.H. He was 84.

He was born in Philadelphia but grew up in rural Sunbury, Pa. He followed his father, Milton D. Moore ’19, to Princeton, where he roomed with fellow ’46ers Hank Haigh and Tom Maxton, and graduated cum laude with a degree in philosophy.

During World War II, Russ was with the Army’s 10th Mountain Division and spent two years with men and women of the Chinese Army, living off the land, and fighting the Japanese.

Russ’ career was devoted to institutional fundraising, beginning as chairman of the student committee in support of Princeton’s 1946 Second-Century Campaign. He worked for Boston University, spent 20 years as director of the Harvard Business School Alumni Fund, and spent 15 years as a self-employed fund adviser, teaching nonprofit organizations how to raise money.

Russ was active in the Audubon Society, the New Hampshire Music Festival, and the Guilford (N.H.) Community Church.

He is survived by his wife of 41 years, Patricia A. (Thurston) Tarter Moore; a daughter, Anne; two sons, Russell Jr. and Thomas; three stepsons, Stephen, Thurston, and William; nine grandchildren; and a brother and sister. To all, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1946



Carson died Nov. 9, 2006, in Langhorne, Pa. Services were held at Lawrence Road Presbyterian Church in Lawrenceville, N.J.

He was born in Dallas, Texas, and grew up in San Mateo, Calif. He entered Princeton in 1942 and graduated in 1947, the year he was married. During World War II he served in the Navy, attaining the rank of lieutenant junior grade. Following a brief career in the retail automobile business, he spent the major part of his life in the brokerage business in San Francisco.

Carson is survived by his beloved wife of 59 years, Isabelle Mears Peck; two sons; two daughters; 10 grandchildren; two step-grandchildren; and four step-great-grandchildren. He considered his family to be his greatest accomplishment, and will be sorely missed. The class extends its sincere sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1946


John Grove Rogers ’47

John died suddenly Nov. 15, 2006, of a ruptured aneurysm on a day he began with plans for a round of golf. He led an active life to the end.

John came to Princeton from the Episcopal Academy in Merion, Pa., in 1943. After one civilian semester, during which he won the lightweight cane spree, he went into the Navy V-12 premed program. From there he went to Cornell Medical School, graduating in 1949 with highest honors. He married Ann Lawrence in 1950. Recalled to active duty from 1952 to 1954, he served as destroyer division medical officer during the Korean War.

He then practiced internal medicine and cardiology in New Jersey and was chief of medicine in Zurbrugg Hospital in Riverside, N.J.

After years of vacationing on Long Beach Island, the family — now with son Larry and daughter Christine — discovered Big Wolf Lake in the Adirondack Mountains, and it became their treasured second home.

John retired in 1990, but continued to practice summers in the Adirondacks. In the last few years he and Ann split their time between Amelia Island, Fla., and Big Wolf. John enjoyed life fully, especially with family.  Ann, his wife of 56 years, survives him, as do Larry and Chris and five grandchildren.

To them all, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1947



Barry died June 24, 2006. He was 78.

He was the epitome of an enthusiastic and loyal classmate and Princeton alumnus. Undeterred by a stroke in 1985 that left him wheelchair-bound, he was in high spirits at our 50th reunion, and until shortly before his death, he gave of himself unstintingly as webmaster, treasurer, and interviewer for the Princeton Association of Monmouth and Northeastern Ocean County, N.J.

Prior to attending Princeton, Barry served aboard the USS Richard B. Anderson. At Princeton he was a politics major, an NROTC midshipman, and a member of Dial Lodge. After graduation and before embarking on a varied civilian career, he served on the USS John W. Weeks as a lieutenant junior grade.

Barry worked for Scott Paper, New Jersey Bell, Kemper Insurance, and then Boynton Brothers insurance agents and brokers, from 1960 to 1997. He also stayed in the Naval Reserve until retirement as a lieutenant commander.

Barry complemented his enthusiastic service to nation, class, and calling with equally enthusiastic pro bono work, especially for the Boy Scouts of America.

Surviving Barry are his beloved wife, Nance; three children, Wendy, Peter, and Susan; and three grandchildren. To them all, the class extends deepest condolences.

The Class of 1952



Don died April 28, 2006, after a brief battle with cancer.

He was a man of exceptional energy, cultivation, accomplishments, and heart. He loved his family profoundly and deeply cared about and richly served his calling, his community, Princeton, and our class. At his death he was a member of the class’ executive committee and largely responsible for our Enduring Marks Program, a listing of ’52’s legacies to Princeton.

Don majored in chemistry and was a lively political presence at Princeton. He went on earn a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago.

He spent his entire career at Exxon, distinguishing himself in a variety of key positions dealing with science and technology innovation.

He gave freely of his formidable gifts and contagious enthusiasm to the Metuchen (N.J.) Planning Board and its environmental commission, library, and historical society. In appreciation, Metuchen named a bridge — Kahn’s Crossing — in his honor. He also served Jewish Family Service.

Don took great pleasure in the theater, concerts, fine art, foreign travel, gardening, friends, and above all, family. His life, he wrote, was ever a remarkable and satisfying “adventure in discovery.”

He is survived by his beloved wife, Ruth; three children, Jonathan, Robert, and Ariel; and two grandchildren. To them, the class extends deepest condolences.

The Class of 1952



Russ died June 6, 2006, after suffering from an ALS-like, debilitating disease for four years.

A graduate of Dover (Del.) High School, he flourished at Princeton as a mechanical engineering major, a member of both our freshman and senior councils, a resident of Cannon, and most visibly, stalwart fullback and kicker on our great football teams.

An NROTC student, Russ was commissioned as an ensign at graduation and served aboard the USS Boxer in Korea before attending flight school. He flew jets on the USS Hornet off Japan.

His career in business centered on the US Cocoa Corp. and the J.P. Linette Chocolate Co. He was president of the former through 1992 and owner and board chairman of Linette Chocolate from 1995 to 2000.

Russ’ chief interests outside of business were golf, hunting, fishing, and, above all, his family.

Surviving him are his school sweetheart and beloved wife of 53 years, Sally; their three daughters, Melissa, Kathy, and Laurie; and four granddaughters. One of those grand- daughters, by poignant coincidence, graduated from Princeton on the day Russ died.

To them all, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1952


Gardner Watkins Smith ’53

Gardner, an eminent surgeon and professor of medicine, died of cancer at his Deer Isle, Maine, home Oct. 5, 2006.

He prepared at Andover, majored in chemistry at Princeton, and took his meals at Campus. Although he had never played football before, he became a “hard-nosed” lineman on the lightweight freshman football team, Don Harris, a roommate, recalls. He left Princeton at the end of junior year to enroll at Harvard Medical School.

After graduating from Harvard, he was at Johns Hopkins Hospital when he married Susan Whiteford in 1958. He then went to the University of Virginia School of Medicine for his residency in surgery.

He returned to Baltimore in 1970 as professor of surgery at Johns Hopkins. During the Vietnam War, he traveled to Saigon to train Vietnamese physicians. He was a pilot of note and flew his own plane to most medical meetings. Later, he settled in Maine and served as chairman of Blue Hill Memorial Hospital.

Heartfelt feelings to Susan, who said, “Gardner is now nowhere and everywhere”; his sister, Nancy, wife of our classmate Herb Hudnut; daughters Elizabeth and Tremain; and son George Van Siclen Smith II, whose godfather, Ned Slaughter, spoke at the celebration of the life of our caring and talented classmate.

The Class of 1953


Philip E. Guiles ’54

Philip E. Guiles died at the Hospice House in Auburn, Maine, Nov. 24, 2006.

A graduate of Deerfield Academy, he attended Princeton for two years before enlisting in the Army, where he was trained as a language specialist and stationed in Germany.

After his discharge, Philip graduated from Colby College in 1958 with a degree in business administration. His career included numerous positions in farm and asset management and aviation insurance. He was a family member of the Earhart Foundation (founded by his grandfather) from 1969 until his death. Its function was to provide grants to support scholars in the advanced study of political science, economics, and related disciplines. He also was active in many community organizations.

He is survived by his wife, Catherine; four children; two sisters; and many nieces and nephews. The class extends its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1954


George D. Petras ’54

George Petras of Steubenville, Ohio, died Aug. 6, 2006, at Trinity Medical Center West in Steubenville.

He prepared for Princeton at Yorkville (Ohio) High School. At college he was active in sports and was a member of the Catholic Club. He left Princeton at the end of his first year and served as a Marine in the Korean War. Prior to his death, he had retired from Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Corp.

George is survived by his wife, Shirley; their six children; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. The class extends its condolences to his family.

The Class of 1954


Charles K. Robinson III ’54

Charles died July 22, 2006, from Parkinson’s disease at home in Palm Springs, Calif. A graduate of Lawrenceville School, he was an English major and had many campus activities, including serving as president of Triangle Club. After graduation, he spent two years in the Army as a lieutenant and aide to a general in the Pentagon.

His life’s work for four decades included acting on Broadway and in television and the movies. He and his wife, Joannie, wrote novels, TV shows, and plays that were published and performed across the country. They established the Torchlight Project, which had as its purpose aiding, empowering, and enriching the lives of impoverished and abandoned children in many foreign countries. He was a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and numerous other professional organizations.

His wife died several years ago. The class extends its sympathy to his two surviving sisters, Tony and Judith.

The Class of 1954


Samuel Z. Stone ’54

Sam died Dec. 8, 2006, at his home in San Jose, Costa Rica. Born in New Orleans, he subsequently lived in Madisonville, La., Costa Rica, and Chile. At Princeton he wrote his thesis about the civil war in Costa Rica and the birth of the Caribbean Legion. After graduation he spent two years on active duty with the Naval Reserve, and then earned a master’s and a doctorate from the Sorbonne.

Sam authored five books, held many teaching posts, and in 1975 became the founder of the CIAPA, a “think tank” affiliated with Tulane University and dedicated to analyzing Central American politics and economics. After the death of his mother in 1994, he took her place as president of the Zemurray Foundation. Its beneficiaries included the New Orleans Museum of Art, where Sam was an honorary lifetime trustee. He was the beneficiary of many international honors.

He is survived by his wife, Haydee; three daughters, Haydee, Alison, and Stephanie; and six grandchildren. The class extends its condolences to his family.

The Class of 1954


Paul R. Reich ’57

Paul died Nov. 18, 2006, after a long illness.

He was born and raised in New Jersey. At Princeton, he majored in psychology, joined Court Club, was active in WPRB and Theatre Intime, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. His senior roommates were Art Lumb and Pete Lavin.

Paul continued his education at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he joined Alpha Omega Alpha. His residency program was completed at Presbyterian Hospital in New York. Subsequently, he was associated with the Nott Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Md., and later Presbyterian Hospital.

From 1966 to 1977 he was director of clinical labs and the blood bank at Beth Israel Medical Center, and from 1977 to 1990 he had a private practice in internal medicine.

In 1990 he became medical director for Pilgrim Health Care in Massachusetts until 1995 and then sat on the board of directors for Harvard Pilgrim Health Care from 1996 to 1998. He completed his career at Scheur Group from 1998 to 2001, and as medical director of Blue Cross/Blue Shield Rhode Island from 2002 until he became ill.

He dearly loved his second wife, Dianne; his five daughters, Sarah, Gwynnedd, Marjorie, Amy, and Deborah; and his five grandchildren. The class sends its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1957


John C. Rinehart ’57

John died Nov. 29, 2002, after a long illness.

Though he always loved his Princeton years, he did not return for reunions or maintain ties with 1957. At college, he joined Key and Seal and concentrated in architecture and engineering.

After Princeton, John pursued graduate studies in architecture at Washington University. He was in the Army from 1957 to 1961. When his education and Army tour ended, he entered the family construction business, Westlake Construction Co. in St. Louis, Mo., as an engineer and estimator.

After the business was sold in the 1970s, John continued engineering in Saudi Arabia. He was fascinated by Arabic and was writing a book on Arabic verbs. In the 1980s he was active in refugee relocation, including acting as a foster parent for Vietnamese and Ethiopian refugees.

He retired at 58. When his wife, Pat, wanted to become a nurse, he supported her career, saying (in her words) that it was a good investment for his old age.

The class sends its sympathy to Pat and daughters Anna, Mary, and Lailah.

The Class of 1957



Bob Swope died of lung cancer Oct. 29, 2006, at his home in Annapolis, Md.

A native of the District of Columbia, Bob came to Princeton from St. Alban’s School. He managed hockey in our freshman and sophomore years, sang in a barbershop quartet, and was a member of Dial Lodge. He majored in mechanical engineering.

Bob then worked as a senior engineer with Northrop Services at the Goddard Space Flight Center and retired from Mantech International Corp. He volunteered extensively with his county library system and with the American Red Cross.

Bob’s children, Gary and Betsy Swope, survive him, as does his brother, Richard.

The class extends sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1960


Joseph Mattison III ’68

Jeff died Oct. 4, 2006, of an aneurysm after delivering a Hinkley to Newport, R.I., from Martha’s Vineyard. He was 62.

Jeff prepared for Princeton at Milton Academy and started with the Class of 1966. At Princeton he rowed lightweight crew. After graduation he taught at Dedham Country Day, and in 1973 married Alice “Sherry” Donahue. They immediately sailed to South America and back on a 38-foot Ohlson.

Jeff graduated from UVA’s Darden School of Business in 1977 and was a certified financial adviser who worked in finance throughout his career. He was an active and dedicated member of the Edgartown (Mass.) Yacht Club, Chappaquiddick Beach Club, Edgartown Golf Club, and New York Yacht Club.

Jeff remained an avid sailor all his life and spent as many hours on the water as possible. He was happiest tinkering with a boat engine or trimming a sail. He was noted for his intense intelligence, quick wit, integrity, and loyalty to his family and friends.

Besides Sherry, he is survived by a son, Joseph IV; and a daughter, Alice; his father, Joseph Mattison Jr.; and siblings Mary Wells, Peter, Debbie Angotti, and Bruce. To them, the class extends its profound sympathy.

The Class of 1968



On Sept. 4, 2006, Guz finally lost, to cancer, the health battles she had been fighting since 1978.

Guz came to Princeton from Perth Amboy (N.J.) High School. She majored in politics and was active in Princeton Inn Theatre and Theatre Intime. She was lively and vivacious with a no-nonsense style, and was known among her friends for her quick wit and zingers, the strongest of which were reserved for the people she liked best.

After graduation, she moved to Cincinnati with her husband, Paul Opsahl ’77, and began attending Northern Kentucky University Law School. Health problems forced her to withdraw, but she ultimately completed her studies at Dayton University Law School in 1992.

Yvonne and Paul were deeply committed and active Christians, but she held back from proselytizing to those of different faiths. In addition, she was not one to complain about the many health problems that plagued her, almost unceasingly, for more than 25 years. She would talk about her ailments if asked, but despite considerable suffering, she chose not to make much of her troubles except to a limited few who wanted to know.

Guz is survived by her mother, Luz; husband Paul; sons Josh and Chris; and grandchildren Marris, Noah, Caleb, and Seth, born posthumously. To them all, the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1976


Graduate Alumni


Frederick A. Matsen Jr. *41

Frederick A. Matsen Jr., emeritus professor of chemistry and physics at the University of Texas at Austin, died May 30, 2006. He was 92.

Born in Racine, Wis., he earned a bachelor’s from the University of Wisconsin in 1937 and completed a Ph.D. in chemistry at Princeton in 1941. In 1942, he moved to the University of Texas at Austin, where he taught and did research for more than 50 years. He initiated an undergraduate honors course in chemistry, teaching graduate-level quantum chemistry to entering freshmen for more than 40 years. In 1988, a Regents Lectureship in Theories of Matter was endowed in his honor.

Matsen wrote more than 200 papers and authored or co-authored six books. In 1950 he received a Guggenheim Fellowship for study at Oxford, and in 1961 he received a National Science Foundation Fellowship to the Poincaré Institute in Paris.

Along with tennis, mountain climbing, and skiing, he was interested in classical music, and his family wrote that he always appreciated the privilege and high intellectual adventure of being a scientist.

Matsen’s wife of 68 years, Cecelia, predeceased him by five months. He is survived by two children and three grandchildren.

Frank E. Gerth III *72

Frank E. Gerth III of Austin, Texas, died May 23, 2006. He was 60.

He graduated from Rice University in 1967, and then worked from 1967 to 1969 for TRW on the Apollo space program, helping create the computer programs that guided the Apollo moon landing in 1969. He then entered Princeton, earning a master’s in 1971 and a doctorate in mathematics in 1972.

Gerth spent more than 30 years teaching math and doing research at the University of Texas at Austin, maintaining his enthusiasm for helping students learn. He specialized in algebraic number theory, and published more than 70 articles. He was promoted to associate professor in 1980 and professor in 1987. Dedicated to supporting and recognizing excellence in mathematics education, he endowed mathematics fellowships at three universities, including Princeton.

He is survived by his mother and his brother.

Raymond I. Lindquist *33, Philosophy, Oct. 5, 2001

Norman L. Schultz *34, Mathematics, Nov. 1, 1992

Darwin L. Vexler *35, Biology, Dec. 13, 2003

Donald L. Blackstone Jr. *36, Geology, May 24, 2004

Philip H. DeLacy *36, Classics, June 17, 2006

Dorr C. Skeels *36, Geology, March 25, 1999

Charles H. Norris *39, Biology, July 31, 1995

Charles E. Swing *39, Mechanical Engineering, April 26, 2006

George W. Brown *40, Mathematics, June 20, 2005

Reuben A. Day Jr. *40, Chemistry, April 24, 2005

Donald E. Barnes *42, English, Nov. 14, 2005

Elbert C. Herrick *42, Chemical Engineering, April 19, 2006

John A. Wethington *44, Chemistry, May 2, 2004

John C. Maxwell *46, Geology, Jan. 23, 2006

Norman Zwiebel *47, Chemistry, June 12, 2006

Wesley E. Brittin *48, Physics, Aug. 1, 2006

Frederick S. Porter Jr. *48, Aeronautical Engineering, March 1983

William C. Pritchard *48, Nuclear Science, March 27, 1991

Clifford de Baun *49, Woodrow Wilson School, May 25, 2006

William M. Heston Jr. *49, Chemistry, March 9, 2006

Fernand T. Picou *49, Architecture, Nov. 15, 2004

Charles M. Fergusson Jr. *50, Woodrow Wilson School, Sept. 15, 2006

Charles H. Fletcher *50, Physics, April 27, 2006

Charles L. Gandy Jr. *52, Aeronautical Engineering, July 24, 2006

William W. Woodbury *52, Mathematics, June 20, 2004

Ralph W. Edwards *53, Chemical Engineering, Jan. 23, 2004

George H. Hughey Jr. *54, Aeronautical Engineering, Sept. 8, 2006

William L.K. Schwarz *55, History, July 22, 2006

P. Emery Thomas *55, Mathematics, June 13, 2005

Donald L. Reid *57, Aeronautical Engineering, Aug. 27, 2006

Michael D. Nesbitt *59, Psychology, Oct. 15, 1988

John S. Lew *60, Physics, Sept. 14, 2006

Roy Pelmas *62, Aeronautical Engineering, July 24, 2006

Martin F. Andic *67, Philosophy, March 2005

James F. Barie *67, Woodrow Wilson School, July 2, 2006

John C. Graebner *69, Electrical Engineering, Oct. 30, 2004

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary