March 21, 2007: Memorials

Philip Daniel Myers ’32

Phil died Oct. 29, 2006, at home in Coral Gables, Fla.. He was 97.

He prepared at Blair Academy. At Princeton he was on the freshman baseball, wrestling, and baseball teams and was a member of Cannon Club. He roomed with M.F. West at Blair all four years.

Soon after graduation, Phil joined a paper-container manufacturer in Newark, N.J., and worked there until he began Army service in 1942. Having been in ROTC at Princeton, he entered as a second lieutenant.

During the war he saw action in Morocco, Sicily, France, Belgium, and Germany. Phil received two Bronze Stars and captain’s bars.

After the war, Phil and his wife, Virginia, whom he married in 1939, moved to Pasadena, Calif., where he engaged in the real-estate business. He served on the Southern California Princeton Club Committee on Admissions and Scholarships and was active in the Army Reserve. He retired as a brigadier general after moving to Miami in 1962, where he became property manager for a large bank.

He was buried in Arlington (Va.) National Cemetery Jan. 4, 2007, with full military honors. Phil is survived by Virginia; brother Jack Myers ’30; sister Mary M. Stubbs; daughter Lura M. Brookins; two grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren, to whom the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1932


Charles Dana Burke ’39

Burkie died peacefully after a long illness Dec. 12, 2006, in Longwood, Fla. He had moved there after living in Punta Gorda, Fla., for 33 years.

He taught military history and military law for two years at Princeton before joining his company, the 87th Armored Field Artillery, in Normandy. He completed five European campaigns during World War II and served for six months as the governor of a German county, Aichach. After the war, he met and married Phoebe Walton with whom he had four children. He and Phoebe made annual trips to Europe, mostly in England and Austria for mountain hiking.

Burkie retired from his longtime job as general sales manager at Brinton Carpets in Canada. During his retirement in Punta Gorda he served on the Charlotte County School Board, was commodore of the Punta Gorda Sailing Club, served as city commissioner, and was mayor for one term. He also volunteered as a tutor at local schools.

We offer our sincere sympathy to Phoebe and their children, Constance Thornton, Allison Marcous, Charles, and Jonathan; and 11 grandchildren. To honor Burkie’s wishes, a burial at sea was planned.

The Class of 1939


George Howe Wilder ’39

George died Dec. 26, 2006, in a Dayton, Ohio, hospital. He and his wife, Betty, had moved there only last year from their longtime home in West Orange, N.J.

George had had dementia for about nine years and, because he had no family nearby, Betty chose to move to Dayton, where she had support from her family.

George was on active duty with the Navy from 1941 to 1946, reaching the rank of lieutenant commander. An ordnance specialist, he was stationed primarily in Washington.

His career began with Chase National Bank in 1939, and he returned there after the war, handling tax-exempt bonds. Knowing he preferred business investment to banking, he joined Smith Barney in 1955 and stayed for 31 years, his final position being vice president of sales and management training. He told us that a highlight of his later years was the success of 15 outstanding Princeton graduates whom he recruited for Smith Barney.

George was a golfer and was president of the board of governors of the Essex County (N.J.) Country Club. He also enjoyed woodworking, gardening, and collecting wine. He and Betty Bultman were married in 1967. Betty survives, and we offer her our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939



Hugh died Nov. 10, 2006, after a long illness.

Born in St. Louis, he lived there all his life, coming to Princeton from Hotchkiss. At Princeton he majored in history and was a member of Triangle Club, Whig-Clio, the “21” Club, and Cottage.

Hugh served in the Navy in the Pacific as executive officer of USS PC 1139 and commander of submarine chaser USS SC712. He separated as a lieutenant.

Returning to St. Louis, he joined the trust department of Boatman’s National Bank, where he spent his entire career before retiring in 1984. This gave Hugh an opportunity to go back to school, and in 1987 he earned a master’s from Washington University.

Always active in civic and charitable organizations, Hugh was past board member and vice president of the Family and Children’s Service of Greater St. Louis and a board member of St. Louis Children’s Hospital, Junior Achievement of Mississippi Valley, and Travelers Aid of St. Louis.

Hugh is survived by his wife of almost 65 years, Bliss Morfit Lewis; his daughters, Bliss Shands and Sally Kennedy; his son, Murray; and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1941


Howard Jack Stanley ’41

Howard died Dec. 11, 2006, at home in Southern Pines, N.C., after a long illness.

Born in Bayonne, N.J., and raised in Cranford, N.J., Howard graduated from the Hun School. At Princeton he majored in chemistry and was a member of Charter Club. He played football all four years, was elected captain senior year, and was awarded the Poe Cup for sportsmanship, play, and influence in football. He set what was then a record for most touchdowns in one game (three) and for the longest pass reception in college history (84 yards). A picture of this catch is on the wall of the Nassau Club Grill.

Joining the Navy in 1941, Howard served in the Amphibious Corps in Sicily, Salerno, and Anzio as an LCI commander, separating as a lieutenant in 1945.

After the Navy, Howard worked first for DuPont but then returned to the family business, J. Stanley Co., supplying provisions for tankers and freighters. In 1970 he sold the business to Kansas Packing. He retired in 1975 and moved to North Carolina.

Predeceased by a daughter, Marcia Frederick, Howard is survived by his wife of 65 years, Edna “Penny” Miller Stanley; a daughter, Susan Eddy; a son, John Howard; and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1941



Walter, who courageously recovered from a turbulent and troubled mid-career, died Sept. 21, 2006, in Lansdale, Pa.

A graduate of Garden City (N.Y.) High School, he majored in economics at Princeton and was a member of Elm Club. In World War II he served as a Navy pilot.

After a promising start of a career and family — marriage, two little girls, success with his building and insurance company followed by a law degree and partnership in Frankel & Hewitt — Walter’s life fell apart. Two marriages dissolved, there were money and health problems, and his law career collapsed. “For a year or two,” he wrote, “I applied my educational and professional background to the challenge of cab driving in Miami and hotel clerking in Manhattan.”

In 1969, on the road to a better life, Walter went to work as an attorney in a civil-service job in New York City. More importantly he met Ilselore “Illou” Lowensberg-Taupin through Mind Mates, a computer-dating service. They married, moved to a life-care facility in Lansdale after Walter’s retirement in 1982, and lived a “quiet but rich existence.”

Walter leaves Illou; two daughters, Lynn and Christine; four grandchildren; and two grandsons born to Illou’s son. To them, the class extends sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942



A railroad man for 35 years, Hank died Dec. 10, 2006, at his home in Sewickley Heights, Pa. He was 86.

Born in Philadelphia, he prepped at Lawrenceville. At Princeton, he was on the freshman and JV crews and served as manager of the undergraduate dance committee and Colonial Club. He majored in biology, expecting to become a physician, but after serving as a Navy corpsman in the Pacific during World War II, he realized his first love was railroading.

He joined the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1947 and advanced rapidly into management positions. He became a vice president of the New York Central during the early 1960s, survived the Penn Central merger, and in 1968 became president of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad, headquartered in Pittsburgh. He retired from P&LE in 1982, having supervised 2,700 people and orchestrated the conversion of the railroad’s Pittsburgh terminal into the Station Square shopping complex.

Hank was on the board of Duquesne Light, Allegheny General Hospital, and Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel.

Besides his wife of 59 years, the former Elizabeth “Betsy” Burrows, he is survived by sons Greg and John; daughter Florence “Bonnie” Allyn; two sisters; a brother, Robert S. ’46; and two granddaughters.

The Class of 1943



Chase died Dec. 22, 2006, of complications from Alzheimer’s disease at his retirement home in Potomac Falls, Va. He was 84.

Born in Los Angeles, he graduated from Los Angeles High School. At Princeton he played freshman football, joined Elm Club, and graduated as a chemical engineering major. He served five years in the Navy during and after World War II, with assignments to secure and safeguard oil supplies in the Persian Gulf. He retired from the Navy Reserve as a commander in 1969.

Chase joined Socony Mobil Oil Co. (now ExxonMobil) in 1948. He moved from Lawrenceville, N.J., to Virginia in the late 1970s when Mobil transferred its headquarters. He retired from Mobil in 1982 as vice president for wholesale lubricants. He enjoyed travel, golf, and tennis, and was active in VFW Post 8469 in Fairfax, Va.

Chase married Dorothy Kelley in 1953. She died in 1988. He is survived by his second wife, Mary Ann Porter; two daughters from his first marriage, Susan Porter Hicks and Kathryn Kelley Porter; three grandchildren; two stepchildren; and four step-grandchildren. His Princeton roommate, Ed Essertier, gave the eulogy at a Jan. 11 service in Potomac Falls. Chase was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

The Class of 1943



A nationally recognized tenor soloist who appeared twice at Carnegie Hall, Bob died Jan. 5, 2007, of complications from a stroke at the Hospice of Cincinnati. He was 84.

Born in St. Louis, he came to Princeton from Hughes High School in Cincinnati. He was active in the Chapel Choir, Glee Club, Band, Theatre Intime, Triangle Club, and Gateway Club. He majored in music and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

After three years with the 97th Army Infantry during World War II, Bob joined the Cincinnati public schools, where he taught vocal music for 17 years and was a consultant for 14. He founded the Cincinnati Boychoir in 1965 and directed it until 1977. He was on the radio-TV faculty for the Cincinnati College of Music from 1952 to 1957. For eight years he was a vocal soloist and actor on WLW radio and WLWT television. He played bass fiddle with area bands and sang, acted, and directed for the Cincinnati Music Drama Guild. He appeared often with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and sang comedy leads for three seasons with the Cincinnati Summer Opera.

Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Jean Katherine Gellhaus McSpadden; daughters Sandra O’Leary and Patsy Carroll; five grandchildren; two step-granddaughters; and 10 great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1943



Charlie died Nov. 8, 2006.

He entered Princeton from Choate, following his brother, Cornelius ’40, and ahead of another brother, Herman ’46. He participated in freshman swimming and in the choir. His stay at Princeton was short because he joined the Army Air Corps in the China-Burma-India theater. For his service there he received the Bronze Star. He finished his education at the University of Oklahoma, earning a bachelor’s in 1948 and a law degree in 1950.

Charlie joined the legal department of Cities Service Oil Co. in Bartlesville, Okla. He then served as an assistant U.S. attorney in Tulsa. In 1960 he entered private practice, where he remained until his retirement in 1987.

Charlie’s interests were sailing and music. He founded the Windycrest Sailing Club and started the Tulsa Corinthian Yacht Club, serving as its commodore. Charlie sang in choral groups and led a Dixieland jazz band, in addition to being involved with the Tulsa opera.

In 1952 he married Jeanne Riney of Bartlesville, who survives him along with three daughters, Janet Froeb, Julie Phillips, and Edith Coen; three grandchildren; and his brother, Herman. The class expresses its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945



Dick O’Connor died Oct. 22, 2006.

Dick entered Princeton from Portsmouth Priory. He rowed on the freshman crew and waited on tables at Commons. Although he did not return for a degree after his war ser-vice as a Liberty ship fitter, he attended several reunions. He was a member of the Princeton Club of New York and was active in the alumni association for the Hartford, Conn., area. Dick delighted to hear his daughter Anne ’82 sing with the Tigerlilies.

Following World War II, he studied industrial engineering and taught — without a degree — at Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute. Dick then worked for various firms as an industrial engineer and consultant. He moved to Hartford to work at Veeder Root in 1962. In 1973, he made a career change to insurance. Until his retirement in 1990, he worked as an insurance agent and broker for the Equitable Life Assurance Society, Fred S. James, Silas Chapman & Co., and Alexander & Alexander.

During his retirement, he produced and hosted a series of discussions featuring Connecticut’s mental-health programs and services for West Hartford Community Television.

Dick is survived by his wife, Patricia Free O’Connor, four children, and five grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to all the family.

The Class of 1945



Bill Peck died peacefully at home April 28, 2006, after a long illness.

Born in Baltimore but raised in Scarsdale, N.Y., Bill entered Princeton from Blair Academy and joined Terrace Club. Following service in the Army as a field-artillery officer, Bill graduated in 1947 and began a distinguished career in retail merchandising with R.H. Macy & Co., and with Bamberger’s in New Jersey as manager for Bamberger’s outlet in Cherry Hill. He later switched careers to home furnishings and joined Zayre in the Boston area.

After his retirement, Bill moved to a golfing community in Plymouth, Mass., and eventually to a retirement home in Barre, Vt., with his wife of 60 years, the former Edith Anderson. Bill and Edie enjoyed and benefited from the research and planning he did for vacations they took in this country and abroad. Bill’s love of cooking resulted in his becoming a gourmet chef.

Edie and Bill raised three children, William, Steve, and Connie. In addition, Bill is survived by four grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1945


Richard A. Mittnacht ’46

Dick Mittnacht died Jan. 1, 2007, of pneumonia as a result of lung cancer in Boca Raton, Fla. He was 81.

He prepared at Kent, entered Princeton in June 1942, and left the following November to join the Army. He served in Europe, was discharged from the Army in 1946, and never returned to Princeton.

Dick spent 35 years working for Johnson & Higgins, one of the premier international marine and aviation-insurance companies. In his remarkable career he went from a junior clerk in the marine department in San Francisco to senior vice president and director of the company’s headquarters in New York City. He was a member of Lloyds of London, the American Bureau of Shipping, and other organizations. Dick was an avid waterman and golfer who played six days a week, until mid-July of last year.

After retiring in 1982, he moved to Florida and spent the last 18 years in Ocean Ridge. In 1988, after 34 years of marriage, he and his wife, Elizabeth, now deceased, were divorced.

Dick is survived by his two children, Richard and Katharine, and his fiancée of 18 years, L. Kim Jones, whom he planned to marry Jan. 6. The class extends its deepest sympathy to all.

The Class of 1946


Stanley S. Moffat ’46

Stanley Moffat died Dec. 26, 2006, in Honolulu at the age of 81.

Stan was born in Scranton, Pa., and entered Princeton in 1942. He served in the Army Signal Corps as an instructor at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and returned to graduate in 1947 with a degree in chemistry. After Princeton, he went on to receive a master’s in chemistry from Lehigh University and a diplôme supérieure en cours de civilization Française at the Sorbonne. Before entering teaching, he was a test writer with the Educational Testing Service in Lawrence, N.J.

He spent his career as a chemistry and French teacher at the Punahou School in Hawaii, and spent his free time landscaping and vegetable gardening in a tropical rain-forest environment. He also served as a volunteer squash instructor at the YMCA and as a tourist escort at the National Cemetery of the Pacific.

Stan never married. He is survived by his younger brother, Charles, and his family in Hawaii; two sisters, Jane Mueller and Margaret Young; and several nieces and nephews. To them all, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1946


Ralph R. Riehl Jr. ’46

Ralph “Bud” Riehl Jr. died Dec. 25, 2006, after an extended battle with cancer. He was born Oct. 23, 1923, and lived and died in Erie, Pa.

Bud came to Princeton from Mercersburg Academy. He enlisted in the Navy ROTC

(V-12) program in June 1943 and transferred to the Cornell University School of Engineering. After graduation from Cornell in June 1945 he moved to the Columbia midshipmen’s school and then the Naval Supply School at Harvard. After his discharge as a lieutenant in 1954 he joined his father in the real-estate business in Erie, where he designed and built residential and commercial buildings, and was an active member of a variety of business and social organizations and activities.

In his college years he was an Olympic-caliber swimmer and the captain of the swimming teams both at Princeton and Cornell. Later he was an avid sailor and a certified scuba diver who loved swimming, gardening, and traveling.

In 1946, Bud married Susan van Cleve in Erie, where they recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. She survives him, as do their three children, Christine Simonson, Ralph R. III, and Catherine McMillan; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. The class extends its deep sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1946


Wallace Buell III ’47

After three years as a Marine (one in Guam), Wally returned to Princeton in 1947. At Reunions in June, he whistled at a girl (Anne Lambert) carrying 1927’s banner, sought her out, and married her June 18, 1949.

Graduating in 1950, Wally joined Allstate Insurance Co. in Hartford, Conn., and moved to nearby Windsor. Thirty-three years later, and after raising three children, he retired and began a new, rich life with Anne: cruising and living on their sailboat, building a home in Ireland and living there for 10 years, and returning to enjoy life in Hyde Park, Vt.

Wally was a laid-back guy with a great sense of humor and a passion for golf, fishing, and the Red Sox. He loved Princeton and our class, and in 2005 he and Anne offered to host a mini-reunion in Ireland. Sadly, he lost a struggle with myeloma July 29, 2006.

Anne carried on and led a wonderful, unforgettable ’47 event in Ireland. We send her our affection, admiration, and gratitude for providing this tribute to Wally — as well as our sympathy to her, their three children, and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1947


Calvin E. Bell Jr. ’48

A native New Yorker, Cal Bell died July 1, 2006, in Jupiter, Fla.

At Princeton he was a member of Dial and majored in politics. He was in the Navy in World War II and Korea.

Cal’s early career was in a mishmash of industries. In the early 1970s he decided to concentrate on building shopping centers. This was the focus of his career over the years. Among many endeavors, he was the developer of Mercer Mall on Route 1 in Lawrence Township, N.J. He was very active in building industry professional associations.

An avid sailor, he was a member of the St. Petersburg Yacht Club for many years. His burgee in orange and black featured a tiger. As his daughter, Robin, put it: “Princeton was a great moment in Dad’s life. He never got over it.”

Cal was totally devoted to his family, having founded and nurtured a family organization and tradition they knew as “PCOA.”

Our condolences are offered to his wife of 57 years, Ina Carol; daughters Robin and Madeline; and son James. The class has lost a sprightly free spirit.

The Class of 1948


Robert Daniel Hodes ’48

Bob Hodes, a stalwart of our class, died Dec. 18, 2006.

He came to us by way of Poly Prep in Brooklyn. Bob graduated with high honors in SPIA, was a member of Terrace, and played varsity baseball.

Bob served the University on the Alumni Council and with schools and scholarships. His benefactions to Princeton are legendary. “My charitable remainder trust and 1948 Hodes scholarships say it all,” he said regarding his affection for Princeton. In addition, Hodes Plaza (between DeNunzio Pool, Jadwin Gym, and Caldwell Fieldhouse) was given by Bob and his athlete daughters, Deborah ’78 and Jean ’79. At its October 1999 dedication, President Harold Shapiro *64 spoke of this extraordinary addition to the grace and beauty of our campus. Bob was always at the service of 1948 and was vice president from 1978 to 1983.

Bob’s career was in direct-response advertising. In 1976, Hodes-Daniel was acquired by Ogilvy & Mather Direct with Bob as CEO.

He was on the boards of National Public Radio, Caramoor Music Center, Katonah (N.Y.) Museum of Art, and many others. Skiing, tennis, and golf were lifelong avocations.

The class offers its affectionate condolences to Gerry, Bob’s wife of 53 years; daughters Debbie, Jean, and Sue; and son Robert Jr.

The Class of 1948


Anthony John Sposato ’48

Tony Sposato was with us for only two years. He came to us by way of Davis High School in Mount Vernon, N.Y., and left to follow his interest in the fire-fighting business started by his father in 1930.

Tony died Dec. 8, 2006. He spent many years as CEO of Fire-End & Croker Corp., Darcy Rubber Corp., and Superior Fire Hose Co.

Tony was an avid boater with a special love for Block Island, R.I. He was a longtime member of the Huguenot Yacht Club and also enjoyed membership in the Princeton Club of New York and the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick.

Tony was always a loyal Princetonian and attended major reunions in recent years.

To his wife, Jean; sons Paul and Tom; and daughters Darcy and Donny; the class offers its condolences.

The Class of 1948


Bartine Albert Stoner Jr. ’48

Bart Stoner died peacefully Jan. 13, 2007, at his New Hope, Pa., home.

Always loyal to and active in University and class initiatives, he was our vice president twice — from 1968 to 1973 and from 1993 to 1998. He chaired our 20th and 44th reunions and was a key person for our 50-year book. He served on schools committees in Philadelphia, London, and Los Angeles County. When a task needed a volunteer, Bart knew only one word: Yes.

A native of Trenton, N.J., Bart was in Key and Seal, played intramural sports, and graduated in basic engineering. After eight years with Westinghouse, his career was with N.W. Ayer & Son, the advertising agency, until his retirement in 1987.

Bart met his second wife, Marilyn, in 1992 on an ecological project in Madagascar. Subsequently they participated in similar projects in Nepal and Venice. Their travels took them around the world several times. Bart was vastly creative with interests in photography, travel writing, contemporary art, and “Sunday painting.” He had a remarkable gift for friendship.

The class offers heartfelt condolences to Marilyn; sons Tad and Jonathan; and five grandchildren. We have lost a special friend.

The Class of 1948



Harry died Oct. 12, 2006, in Red Bank, N.J., of Legionnaires’ disease.

Born in Raleigh, N.C., reared in Westfield, N.J., and schooled at Woodberry Forest, he served in the Army as a 2nd lieutenant from 1951 to 1953, and graduated from Princeton in 1955.

From 1955 to his retirement as an executive vice president in 1990, Harry enjoyed a distinguished career with J.P. Morgan & Co. in New York. He further distinguished himself in service to his community and to education. He served as a Rumson (N.J.) Borough councilman from 1980 to 2000, heading the finance committee for many years, and as chairman of the board of Woodberry Forest School. He also served on the boards of the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, the New York Lung Association, Monmouth (N.J.) Medical Center, the Kenan Charitable Trust, and other organizations.

Harry, with homes in Rumson and Captiva, Fla., also graced many clubs.

Above all else, he was a loving and devoted family man. In addition to his beloved wife of 43 years, Noel, he leaves three sons, Thomas, Wayne, and Neil; a daughter, Amanda; and six grandchildren. The class extends its deep sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1952



After his collapse and a month in the hospital, Don Smith died on July 7, 2005, from complications of suspected early dementia. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated by his colleagues at Seton Hall University. We understand that Don was the sole Catholic priest from our class.

Don entered Princeton from Dickinson High School in Jersey City, N.J., with the intention of becoming a teacher. A member of Prospect Club and a modern-languages major, he was an outstanding student. He received the William Koren Memorial Prize in Italian twice. He was a Cane Scholar and vice president of the Spanish Club, and graduated magna cum laude and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

After two years of teaching in public and parochial schools, Don entered Seton Hall University to pursue the priesthood. After four years of studying Greek, Latin, and Thomistic philosophy, Don was assigned to the North American College in Rome. He was ordained a priest in St. Peter's Basilica in 1961. On his return to the Archdiocese of Newark, N.J., he joined Seton Hall’s faculty as an assistant professor of modern languages.

In our BOH, Don expressed his affection for Princeton and gratitude for the splendid education he had received. He had hoped to attend our 50th reunion.

The Class of 1952



Connie Smith died of cancer July 16, 2005, at his home in Union, Ky.

He came to Princeton from Gilman School, where he played on the 1947 and 1948 championship lacrosse teams. At Princeton he majored in English, belonged to Cottage Club, and played lacrosse as a freshman and senior.

Married soon after graduation to Mary Louise Carey, he reported for OCS with the Marine Corps at Quantico, Va. His final tour was at Camp Lejeune, N.C., where, he wrote, “I eventually and very proudly became battery commander of the best battery in the corps.”

On page 314 of our 25th-reunion book, Connie is pictured at his happiest—- by a lake where he and his family enjoyed their annual wilderness camping trip.

Connie worked and played with equal passion. After 10 years of selling, he managed the computer installation in a Carey Machinery plant. He was then senior systems analyst and organization consultant for ICI Americas Inc. in Wilmington, Del. He retired in 1990 and built a home in Peyton, Colo., to enjoy life in the Rockies.

Connie is survived by his wife of 21 years, Donna; children Mark, Georgia, Deirdre, and Margaret; a stepdaughter, Jennifer; and nine grandchildren. To them, the class extends deepest condolences.

The Class of 1952


M. Kimberly Sparks ’52 *63

M. Kimberly Sparks died Oct. 30, 2006, in Cornwall, Vt.

Kim left Princeton in 1951 to join the Air Force. He married his childhood sweetheart, Suzann Spayde, and returned to Princeton, earning a bachelor’s in 1958 and a Ph.D. in German in 1963. He became chairman of the German department at Middlebury College in 1966 and taught there until his retirement in 1992. Kim’s students, colleagues, and friends always will treasure memories of his wit, generosity, kindness, warmth, grace, and love of life.

Kim was large of spirit and body. He played rugby, had an encyclopedic knowledge of flora and fauna, and loved fishing, hunting, gardening, cooking, and hunting mushrooms. For a time he kept a boa constrictor in his University Place office (students delighted in “feeding time”) and bred tropical fish in his Harrison Street barracks apartment.

Above all, Kim knew Vienna. He wrote best-selling German-language textbooks and articles on Kafka, but his finest scholarly works may be the CD-ROMs on the culture, history, and urbanism of Vienna that he completed last year.

He is survived by his wife and partner of 55 years, Suzann; son Michael ’82; daughters Elizabeth ’84 and Katharine; and two grandsons.

The Class of 1952



With the death of John Stadter, the class lost one its finest students. John died from complications of myelodysplasia, a cancer of the bone marrow, Dec. 7, 2003, in Naples, Fla., where he and his wife had retired in 1988.

John’s light shone brightly throughout his life. At Princeton he majored in politics, was a member of Court Club, graduated summa cum laude, and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. His wide-ranging extracurricular activities included the Student Christian Association, Catholic Club, Cleveland Club, French Club, and club sports. He was a research assistant as an upperclassman, and his senior-year roommate was Reinhard Kuhn.

Upon graduation John enlisted in the Army and served with several intelligence units. Following separation from the Army, John attended Harvard Law School, graduating in 1957. He joined the personal trust department of Morgan Guaranty Trust that year and in 1988 retired as executive vice president and head of venture-capital operations. Pro bono, John also was president of Doctors Hospital in New York for 15 years.

In retirement, John and Sally, his wife of 30 years, traveled widely and pursued their interests in music and reading. To Sally, the class offers its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1952


Thomas Watson Brown ’54

Thomas W. Brown died Jan. 13, 2007, in Marietta, Ga.

A graduate of St. Alban’s School, he majored in history at Princeton, was a member of Tower Club, and was active in many campus activities.

After serving in the Army, he graduated from Harvard Law School in 1959. Tom practiced law in Atlanta until his death. He was active in numerous business, civic, philanthropic, and scholarly organizations. He served on the boards of the Atlanta Historical Society, the Georgia Historical Society, the Georgia Civil War Commission, the Atlanta Legal Aid Society, and the Georgia Legal History Foundation. He was a life trustee of Mercer University in Atlanta.

Tom was preceded in death by his first wife, Mary Ellen; his second wife, Anne Henderson; and two sons. He is survived by his children, Melissa, Anne, Elizabeth, and Thomas Jr., and eight grandchildren. The class extends its condolences to his children in their loss.

The Class of 1954



Dick died Nov. 30, 2006, at home in Tucson after a long bout with colon and liver cancer.

He prepared at Montclair (N.J.) High School, earning all-state honors in football and baseball. At Princeton, Dick majored in geology and was the leading pitcher on the baseball team. Among many football achievements (and most celebrated) was his last-minute pass that enabled us to beat Yale at New Haven in 1954. Senior year Dick roomed in Tiger Inn with Charlie Bray, Beck Fisher, Dick Frye, Jack Henn, and Rich Thompson.

After Princeton, Dick served two years in the Army at Fort Huachuca, Ariz., where he began a lifelong hobby of collecting, cutting, and polishing stones that he made into beautiful jewelry. After the Army he spent 30 years in management at New York Telephone Co. and AT&T. He lived in Essex Fells, N.J., where he was active in community and Princeton alumni activities.

Upon retiring to Tucson, Dick vigorously continued his “rocks-to-jewelry” hobby and contributed his management skills to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.

The class extends deepest sympathy to Carolyn, his beloved wife of 50 years; daughters Susan, Jill, Betsy, and their spouses; and six grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, 2021 N. Kinney Road, Tucson, AZ 85743.

The Class of 1955


Bill died peacefully Oct. 7, 2006, at home in Wellington, Fla., from complications of multiple system atrophy.

Bill came to Princeton from Mechanicsburg (Pa.) High School. Majoring in biology, he was captain of the varsity rifle team for three years. He joined Tower Club and roomed with Neil Bartley and Oral Miller senior year.

After graduation Bill attended the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, interned at Colorado General Hospital in Denver, then completed his surgical residency at the University of California, San Francisco. He returned to Penn for further training in plastic surgery and settled in Mechanicsburg, where he became professor of surgery and chief of the division of plastic and reconstructive surgery at Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey.

Bill was elected chairman of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, served on the boards of several related societies, and co-edited what was, for many years, the definitive text on hand surgery. He authored more than 300 papers in his specialty. Following a distinguished 40-year career, a professorship in his name was established at Penn State’s Division of Plastic Surgery.

To his wife, Anne; his daughters from a previous marriage, Swan and Elizabeth; and his granddaughter, Miriam, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1955


Franklyn Joseph Carr ’62

Franklyn Carr died March 16, 2003, in North Palm Beach, Fla., soon after a late diagnosis of colon cancer.

A memorable presence, Franklyn came to Princeton from Eastern High in Anchorage, Ky., ate at Campus Club, and majored in English. Starring roles with the Savoyards and Theatre Intime preceded earning an MFA from Yale. He quickly moved from the theater to the corporate audio-visual world. He produced industrial films at GE and spent most of his career with railroads in Cleveland and then Baltimore, where he also worked for CSX Corp. He won major awards for non-theatrical films and design and created Chessie Systems’ “C” logo. He was also curator of the B&O museum, an interior designer, and a copyrighted composer.

Franklyn tried to overcome depression through an energetic life and a continuing interest in theater, abstaining from alcohol. He had two daughters (who both earned doctorates and were university professors) from his first marriage to Lynda Elliott that lasted 24 years. On his own he overcame a lapse into alcohol abuse, married Mary Ann Martin, and helped others who suffered from the same illnesses as he. The class extends condolences to Mary Ann and his daughters, Ashley and Summerson, who say Princeton was one constant in his life.

The Class of 1962


Peter Diego Moscosso ’64

Peter Diego Moscosso died Jan. 10, 2006. He was born in New York City in 1941 and came to Princeton from Riverdale Country Day School where he was particularly active in writing and journalism.

At Princeton, he majored in philosophy, served as an editor of the Nassau Literary Magazine, was a contributing editor to both The Daily Princetonian and The Princeton Tiger magazine, and was a member of Ivy Club. He was the recipient of the English department’s Ward Mathis Prize as a senior. Though Peter entered Princeton with the Class of 1964, he graduated with 1965 but requested a return to our ranks upon graduation.

Peter continued his literary endeavors after college as a freelance writer for Harper’s, Saturday Review, The Nation, The Village Voice, The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, and other publications. He also served as an editor for Chelsea, the Columbia University Press and The Paris Review. He settled in Woodstock, N.Y., and for many years ran a language-enrichment program there for disadvantaged people in Ulster County. He was an investment account executive at the time of 1964’s 20th reunion, but little else is known about his late years.

The class extends its sympathy to Peter’s family and friends.

The Class of 1964


David Ross Calkins ’70

On April 14, 2006, the flag over Harvard Medical School flew at half-staff in memory of Dave, who died April 7 after a three-year struggle with brain cancer.

Born in Kansas City, Kans., Dave lettered in fencing at Princeton, led the premedical society, and was our class secretary-treasurer. He marched in the band, sang in the Glee Club, and joined Tower Club.

Dave received a medical degree and a master’s in public policy through a joint program offered by Harvard Medical School. He trained in internal medicine at Beth Israel Hospital in New York, then became a White House fellow and served in the Carter Administration. In 1981, Dave returned to Beth Israel and Harvard, where he also taught at the School of Public Health. In 1996 he returned to Kansas City as an associate dean at the University of Kansas School of Medicine, and in 1999 he moved to Harvard as associate dean for clinical programs.

In 1989, David married Susan Rice, a psychotherapist, and in 1993 son Chris was born. They lived in Concord, Mass.

Despite surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy, David ran his 20th New York Marathon in the fall of 2004, cutting his 2002 time. He then attended our 35th reunion with Chris, where he celebrated his 57th birthday.

We share the loss of this extraordinary classmate with his beloved family, Susan and Chris.

The Class of 1970


Shaye Julia McDANIEL ’81

Shaye died Nov. 11, 2006, at the Waterview Center in Cedar Grove, N.J. She was 47.

Born in Newark, Shaye was the daughter of the late John and Dolores McDaniel. She made her home in Montclair, N.J.

At Princeton, Shaye majored in English, lived at Princeton Inn College for four years, and sang soprano in the gospel choir. Her RA group at Princeton Inn College will remember her fondly as a beautiful, intellectual, and music-filled spirit. She was an avid fan of Billy Joel, Jackson Browne, and the masters of Motown. Shaye wrote her own music and often played her acoustic guitar during study breaks.

After Princeton, Shaye joined the speechwriting team of New Jersey Gov. Thomas Kean ’57. She also worked as an executive recruiter for Information Resources Inc. in Fairfield and as a consultant for Grandparents Shop Inc. in Newark.

Shaye was missed at our 25th reunion last year, but members of her former RA group (Class of ’81ers Valarie Carter, Arthur Hopkirk, Stan Jordan, Bob McDonough, Brody Neuenschwander, David Rollock, and Gil Strickler) celebrated with her in spirit.

Shaye is survived by her longtime companion, Victor, and many friends. To them, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1981

Graduate Alumni

S. Lane Faison Jr. *32

S. Lane Faison Jr., an art historian who was an inspiring professor at Williams College from 1936 to 1976, died Nov. 11, 2006. He was 98.

In announcing his death, the president of Williams said, “His [Faison’s] legacy will forever be spread far and wide through the countless students he turned on to art.” Many of his students later went on to become directors and curators of major U.S. museums.

Faison graduated from Williams, earned a master’s from Harvard, and a master of fine arts from Princeton. He taught at Yale before joining the Williams faculty in 1936, where he was chair of the art history department from 1940 to 1969. He was also director of the Williams College Museum of Art from 1948 to 1976, and retired as the Amos Lawrence Professor of Art at Williams.

In 1945, he was an art-rescue officer for the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), and curated thousands of artworks that had been stolen by the Nazis and stored in a salt mine.

Faison married his wife, Virginia, in 1935. She died in 1997. He is survived by four sons, seven grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


Robert F. Hoffman *58

Robert F. Hoffman died Nov. 7, 2006, at home in Medford, N.J., after a valiant fight against cancer. He was 71.

A dedicated Princeton alumnus, he was regarded as one of the nicest and most thoughtful of graduates — dependable, upbeat, and always helpful.

Valedictorian of Riverside (N.J.) High School, Hoffman received a bachelor’s from Drexel University in 1957, a master’s from Princeton in 1958, and a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1967 — all in chemical engineering. Continuing his academic research in the thermodynamics of polymers, Hoffman worked for 40 years with Thiokol Corp. Applications of his research led to sealants for aircraft, boats, and the home, among other products. One of his two U.S. patents was for a rocket propellant used in moon landings. He later worked for ICI Americas Inc., where he also became involved in environmental-safety research on polyurethane products.

Hoffman was not only an officer and executive committee member of the Association of Princeton Graduate Alumni, but also was an Alumni Council executive committee member. He attended almost 50 Princeton events in the last decade.

Until her death two years ago, he had been married to his wife, Betty, for 44 years.

He is survived by two children and two grandchildren.

Egbert L. Davis Jr. *34, Economics, Nov. 10, 2006

Melvin W. Arsove *44, Physics, April J, 2006

Maurice J. Stoughton *47, Electrical Engineering, Mar. 14, 2006

Harold C. Foust *48, Chemistry, Dec. 5, 2006

Jacques Appelmans *49, Economics, Jan. 23, 2005

John W. Gillette *49, History, May 18, 2006

Gabriel Gabrelian *50, Politics, Mar. 16, 2006

Hamilton Winslow *51, Woodrow Wilson School, Dec. 18, 2005

P. Bent Sondergaard *55, Woodrow Wilson School, Sep. 19, 2006

Erik W. Svenningsen *59, Woodrow Wilson School, Oct. 12, 2006

Walter O. Jacobson *63, Woodrow Wilson School, May 30, 2006

Anton S. Nissen Jr. *71, Economics, Nov. 5, 2006

Richard T. Sonnergren *80, Woodrow Wilson School, Feb. 9, 2005

Victor L. Chen *86, Applied and Computational Mathematics, Aug. 8, 2006

Tom H. Caudill *96, Woodrow Wilson School, Sept. 11, 2006

This issue has an undergraduate memorial for M. Kimberly Sparks ’52 *63. end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary