May 9, 2007: From the Archives
Copping a clapper was a Princeton tradition resurrected after World War II by several freshmen in the Class of 1950. After two groups made forays — with varying degrees of success — to steal the clapper from Nassau Hall in the fall of 1946, the students pictured here staged three successful heists in the spring of 1947, according to Ken Perry ’50, who provided the photo. Proudly displaying two of their pilfered prizes are, standing from left: Jack McKenna, Dick Mentzinger, and Jim Hitzrot; kneeling are Perry, class secretary for 1950, and Beachley Main. A mounted half of one clapper is now in Mudd Library. Read more about their escapades in Perry’s class notes on page 44.