May 9, 2007: Memorials

Stephen Emery ’29

Stephen Emery died Feb. 21, 2007, at Asbury Heights in Mount Lebanon, Pa.

At Princeton he was captain of the chess team and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. After graduation he attended the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, and he served in the Navy during World War II. Steve practiced law at Union Title Guaranty Co. in Pittsburgh for 40 years.

Steve was a man of many talents and interests. He had a deep love of classical music, and with his late wife, Helen, sang in the Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh and the Ben Avon Presbyterian Church Choir. Steve loved chess, backgammon, and bridge, and was playing bridge several times a week until just a few months prior to his death.

Close behind his family — his first priority — came his beloved Pittsburgh Pirates. He started attending games at the age of 11 and continued into his 90s. In July 2006 the entire family gathered for a celebration of his 99th birthday.

Steve is survived by three daughters, Mary Doucette, Prudence Emery, and Dr. Margaret Hegg; a son, Stephen Jr. ’71; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. The class extends its condolences to the family.

The Class of 1929


Madison H. Haythe ’33

Madison Haden Haythe of Easton, Md., died in his sleep Feb. 11, 2007.

He was born May 20, 1910, in Virginia, but for many years had lived in the Northeast. On his father’s side, he was descended from Sir Robert Heath, who founded the town of Heathville on the Northern Neck of Virginia. On his mother’s side, he was descended from the Dutch colonial family Riker, whose patriarch, Abraham Rycken, received a charter in 1664 from Dutch colonial Gov. Peter Stuyvesant for Hulett’s Island, which later became Riker’s Island.

Maddy graduated from Princeton magna cum laude and as a member of the first class in the School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA). Prior to his retirement from active business, he had been both an investment and a commercial banker. After retiring, he worked as a consultant until he was 94. An avid sailor his entire life, he was still a member of the New York Yacht Club at the time of his death.

Maddy is survived by his wife of 40 years, Frances Drexel Penrose Haythe; two sons, Thomas Madison Haythe and David Otway Haythe; a daughter, Cynthia Haden Haythe; three stepdaughters, Laura Hersloff Eddy, Francesca Hersloff Murray, and Lydia Hersloff White Calf; and many grandchildren, step-grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1933



Andy Parker, who practiced internal medicine for 39 years at the Lewistown (Pa.) Hospital, died Feb. 11, 2007, in Port Charlotte, Fla., where he spent winters after his retirement in 1985. He was 95.

A lifelong member and an elder of the Lewistown Presbyterian Church, he was also a member of the Mifflin-Juniata Medical Society and a committee member of the Mifflin-Juniata Board of Mental Health and the Mifflin-Juniata Area Agency on Aging.

After his retirement, Andy became interested in genealogy and traced 15 ancestral families back to 18th-century America, including two, both Presbyterian ministers, who were early Princeton graduates.

Andy served in the Medical Corps during World War II, retiring in 1946 with the rank of major.

In Port Charlotte, he enjoyed taking classes at the cultural center and playing bridge. As he wrote a classmate not long ago, “I can still be an occasional winner at duplicate.”

Andy’s wife of 57 years, the former Frances Fiske, died in 1997. He is survived by a daughter, Judith; two sons, Andrew Jr. and John; two sisters; and a brother.

The Class of 1934



Tom died in Janesville, Wis., Feb. 9, 2007.

Before Princeton, he graduated from Northwestern Military and Naval Academy, where he was a class officer and on the Rifle Team. At Princeton he majored in English and was on the crew and wrestling teams. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa.

After graduation, Tom took graduate English courses at Princeton, attended the Sorbonne in Paris, and in 1941, entered law school at the University of Wisconsin. In 1942 he joined the Army and was a captain in the artillery. After the war, he served as an advocate with the War Crimes Commission. He later returned to Wisconsin to complete law school.

He moved to Milwaukee and joined the law firm of Foley & Lardner. In 1950, as a member of the National Guard, he was called to serve in Korea, after which he formed his own law firm.

In 1949 he married Marilyn Jean Kieckhefer, who predeceased him. They were both involved in a number of businesses in the Yucatan Peninsula and in Mexico, where they helped a number of pre-Columbian archaeologists. Tom served as president of the Zoological Society of Milwaukee and of the Milwaukee Public Museum.

He is survived by their children, George, John, and Virginia Fifield, and grandchildren Ben and Jocie Fifield. To his family and friends, we express loving sympathy and fond remembrances.

The Class of 1937



Swag died Jan. 29, 2007, at the home of his daughter, Mary Beth Fenimore, in Wilmington, Del.

He was born in Louisville, Ky., and attended Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va. After graduating from Princeton, he earned a master’s in education from Bridgeport University. During World War II he served four years in the Air Force as a captain, spending 15 months in the Pacific. After the war he worked for Time and Life magazines in New York and also as a sales executive with a large printing-plate business.

Swag spent many summers in the home he designed and built at Ahmic Lake, Ontario, Canada. He enjoyed sailing, skiing, and tennis. His hobbies were genealogy, photography, and acting and directing in community theater.

In 1990 he moved to Charlottesville, Va., and took an active role in local politics. He moved to Wilmington in 2004 to be near his daughter and grandchildren, of whom he was extremely proud. Swag attended Reunions nearly every year. “He loved Princeton with all his heart,” his daughter said.

Swag’s wife, Mary Freng Sherley, preceded him in death. To his family and friends, we send our fondest remembrances and our loving sympathy.

The Class of 1937



Bud died Jan. 19, 2007, in Glenview, Ill. He was 90.

He grew up in Short Hills, N.J., and attended Peddie School. At Princeton, Bud majored in economics and played freshman lacrosse, club squash, and club football. He was a member of Cannon Club.

Bud attended Harvard Business School, and in 1939 joined Lybrand, Ross Bros. in Boston as a junior accountant. He later became treasurer of National Research Corp. in Cambridge, Mass. In 1953 he went to Chicago and began his career with Northern Trust Co. as assistant manager in the credit department. In 1978 he became chairman and CEO of the bank.

Bud was known not only for his business acumen but also for his passionate interest in people, gentle nature, generosity of spirit, and wonderful sense of humor. He was a tireless volunteer after his retirement and served on numerous boards in the Chicago area. He was a life director of the Chicago Botanic Garden and a life trustee of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

He was married for 66 years to Mary Ann Dilley, who died in 2006. He is survived by his children, Susan, Sandra S. Bradbury, and Stephen; two grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. To his family and friends, we extend our loving sympathy.

The Class of 1937



Chuck, as he was known to his close friends, died Jan. 29, 2002.

He was born in Montclair, N.J., but lived in London, New York City, and Garden City, N.Y. His father was in the cosmetic manufacturing business. Chuck came to Princeton from St. Paul’s and Choate schools, where he was on the track and soccer teams. At Princeton he majored in economics, was a member of the 150-pound crew and intercollegiate championship crew, and was a cheerleader.

He served in the Army at Fort Sill, Okla., and Fort Benning, Ga., rising to the rank of major. He moved to Stamford, Conn., and became vice president and general manager of Chesebrough-Ponds Co. He married Dorothy Caldwell and together they rebuilt an old (1700) house in New Canaan, Conn. He belonged to the Princeton Club in New York, the Woodway and Ennis Arden country clubs, and the Stamford Yacht Club. His hobbies included sailing and flying.

To Chuck’s family and friends, we extend our loving sympathy and fond remembrances.

The Class of 1937


David Sequin Junker ’39

Dave, a longtime resident of New York, died Feb. 5, 2007, at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan.

After college Dave earned a law degree from Harvard in 1942 and worked for a New York law firm until 1953. It was then that he joined the legal department of American Home Products Corp., where he remained until his retirement in 1984. His professional association activities were primarily concerned with trade regulation and antitrust law. He was a member of the antitrust section of the American Bar Association and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He was known for his love and knowledge of New York City, photography, stamp collecting, love of music, and reading.

His survivors include several nieces and nephews, to whom we offer our sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Benjamin Franklin Houston ’48

Ben Houston, who died March 9, 2007, found his life’s work in the wonderful world of university presses.

Ben always maintained he was “putting knowledge to work (i.e., the publication and dissemination of scholarly research).” Ben went on “to suspect I have a streak of would-be scholar in me.” He joined Princeton University Press in 1949 and stayed for a decade until being recruited by the Yale University Press as its managing editor. This lasted for a decade until the Bollinger series came to Princeton and Ben returned to PUP, where he stayed until his retirement.

After graduation from St. Andrew’s School in Delaware in 1940, Ben served with the Marines from 1942 to 1946. He came to Princeton through V-12 for his first two years and completed his degree in English and American civilization in 1948. He was in Ivy and active in Whig-Clio.

Ben was a longtime member of Trinity Church in Princeton and was very involved with the worship committee.

He and Molly, his wife of nearly 58 years, kept a summer residence in Henlopen Acres, Del. They became enthusiastic birders, visiting many wildlife refuges.

To Molly; their daughters, Linda and Wendy; and son Scott, the class offers heartfelt condolences. We have lost a civilized and erudite friend.

The Class of 1948


Bowie Kent Kuhn ’48

Bowie grew up in Washington, D.C., tending to the Washington Senators scoreboard at Griffith Stadium for $1 a day. He was a great baseball fan all his life and never lost his boyish enthusiasm. That was the foundation of his charm — his love of the game of baseball. Bowie died March 15, 2007.

As Major League Baseball commissioner, he had conflicts with some players, their unions, and the owners; he always did what he thought best for the game, with integrity and courage. Bowie failed to muster enough votes (three-fourths of votes cast) for a third term as commissioner. Privately, he was whimsical, with the observation, “It’s not too bad to lose with well over half the votes.”

He was in Charter, was active in intramural athletics, and graduated with honors in economics. He attended the University of Virginia law school, where he was editor of the Law Review. In 1950 he went to work for the law firm founded by Wendell Willkie. Along the way Random House published his book, Hardball: The Education of a Baseball Commissioner.

A lifelong devout Roman Catholic, Bowie spoke widely about his beliefs and was involved in Catholic activities such as the Knights of Malta.

To Luisa, Bowie’s wife of 50 years; his son, Stephen; his daughter, Alix; and stepsons Paul and George; the class offers condolences and, somehow, shares their loss. The class mourns a loyal friend.

The Class of 1948



Charles died Nov. 14, 2006, at the age of 81.

He prepared for Princeton at Kenwood High School in Baltimore and served as a paratrooper in the European theater during World War II. At Princeton he majored in philosophy, and served first as news editor and then managing editor of The Daily Princetonian. He graduated in 1951, winning honorable mention for the 1869 Prize in Ethics. He was a member of Dial Lodge.

Charles spent most of his life after Princeton in the merchant marine, traveling the world. He was married to Eva M. Goldman, who died in 1994. He is survived by a sister, Frances A. Aull, and by several nieces and nephews. The class extends its sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949



Ned died Nov. 27, 2006, of sepsis. He was 84.

He prepared at Boys’ Latin School in Baltimore. At Princeton he majored in history, played varsity lacrosse, and was a member of Ivy Club.

Ned flew for the Army Air Corps during World War II as a bombardier on B-24 Liberators. Twice shot down, he escaped the first time with the help of Yugoslav partisans. For saving the life of a wounded gunner, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. The second time Ned was shot down, he was over Austria. He was captured and spent the rest of the war in a prison camp in Germany. He earned four Air Medals and the Purple Heart.

After Princeton and Korean War service, Ned spent 40 years in real-estate development and appraisal. He enjoyed refereeing college football and lacrosse for many of those years. He served as a trustee of Towson State University in Maryland and as treasurer of Maryland Environmental Service.

Ned is survived by his wife, Joyce; sons Edward Alexander IV and William; daughters Louisa Aston and Jean Hopkins; and six grandchildren. The class joins them in mourning his loss.

The Class of 1949



Bob died Dec. 4, 2005, of complications from pneumonia. He was 83.

He prepared for Princeton at Easton (Pa.) High School and served in the Navy aboard the USS Pennsylvania in the Pacific from 1943 until 1945 . When the V-12 program was disbanded in the spring of 1946, he was one of the students who left Princeton to get on with their lives. However, he never lost his love for the University, and his son, Thomas McGuire ’71, and his grandson, Lee McGuire ’98, who did graduate, were a source of great pride for him. While at Princeton, Bob studied engineering.

After leaving Princeton, he worked first for Western Electric then for IBM in Glendale, N.Y. He retired in 1978 and indicated that he was very satisfied with his career choices.

Bob was predeceased by his wife, Arlene. In addition to his son, Bob is survived by his daughter, Patricia Gregory, and by eight grandchildren besides Lee. They considered him the anchor of a family that loved him very much. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949



Griff died May 9, 2006, having spent his last 34 years in his childhood home in Roland Park, Md.

Griff was born in Baltimore Jan. 21, 1928. He prepared at Gilman School and served as an Army paratrooper in Japan before coming to Princeton, where he majored in architecture, played junior varsity football and varsity lacrosse, and was a member of the 1951 national championship lacrosse team. He is still Princeton’s record holder for the most goals in one game (10). He roomed with Jim Gorter and Dick Nash and belonged to Ivy.

In 1966 he and Joan R. Sanger were married. Until 1995, he owned William L. Griffith Co., a general-construction firm in Baltimore.

Known for his prowess as a sailor, he will be remembered for his steely-eyed success in racing his Catalina 22 on the Chesapeake. The boat was named Lilac Alabaster Nights, after a speech Adlai Stevenson ’22 once gave when referring to Princeton.

Griff is survived by Joan; their children, William and Elizabeth; and his half-sister, Mai D. West. His half-brother, Franklin Dick ’37, predeceased him, and his brother, Edward Griffith ’49, died in November 2006.

To paraphrase Tennyson, Farewell to the sailor lad who sang in his boat on the bay!

The Class of 1951



Jack Ross died Nov. 14, 2006, after a four-year struggle with cancer, leaving Pat, his wife of 48 years.

After preparing at Exeter, Jack followed his father, Leland ’30, and his brother, Tony ’55, to Princeton. He roomed with Jack McAtee, Jack Danforth, Lou Edgar, and Lou Brinsmade. In his sophomore year he joined Tiger Inn. Jack was an economics major.

Upon graduation, he served in the Army. After a short stint in banking, Jack became a member of the New York Stock Exchange and forged a successful career as a specialist on the floor of the exchange.

Jack and Pat lived in the same house in Bernardsville, N.J., for 47 years. For the last 14 years, they divided their time between New Jersey and Key Largo, Fla.

Jack’s main avocations were hunting and fishing, and he became an expert in both endeavors. He loved taking trips to exotic places to pursue these hobbies. How many of you have entered a fly-fishing contest for billfish off the coast of Costa Rica?

The class sends deepest sympathy to Pat, their three children, and four grandchildren.

The Class of 1958



Fred died May 8, 2006, at his home in Seattle of cancer that was diagnosed only three months earlier. Fred had lived in Seattle since the late 1970s.

A true Renaissance man, Fred was born in London to American parents; he was educated there and at Andover prior to coming to Princeton. He graduated with a degree in engineering, but never practiced that profession. After college, he entered the theater and film world, and among other accomplishments, he made an early documentary (in 1962), The Streets of Greenwood, about the registration of black voters in Mississippi.

In the 1970s, Fred moved to Seattle to work in public television, but after a brief return to New York with Sesame Street, he made the jump to become a family therapist and moved back to Seattle. He practiced there until 1996 when he “retired” to become a musician, painter, writer, and a steadfast supporter of Earth Ministry, to which he was introduced by his wife of more than 30 years, Francie Rutherford.

Fred is survived by his wife, four children, four grandchildren, and his sister, Sylvia Crouter. He will be sorely missed by his classmates and his friends in Seattle.

The Class of 1958



Known by generations of Princetonians as the University’s unofficial “professor of journalism,” Larry died of heart disease Dec. 24, 2006, at the age of 87. He was an honorary member of the classes of 1971 and 2000.

A World War II veteran and volunteer firefighter and chief, Larry was affiliated with The Daily Princetonian for 60 years, many of them as the newspaper’s production supervisor. Over his decades at the Prince, Larry berated hundreds of student journalists for their mistakes, celebrated their triumphs, and through it all, taught them the meaning of commitment and dedication.

Even after technically retiring from the Prince in 1987, Larry continued to be a daily fixture in its newsroom and its institutional memory, and a mentor to its staff. Few Prince members will ever forget his blistering critiques or his equally broad smiles.

Larry is survived by Nora, his wife of 59 years; his daughter, Claudia, and son-in-law John Greely; and four grandsons. Larry will be dearly missed by his family, his Prince family, and the Princeton community.

The Classes of 1971 and 2000

Graduate Alumni

Edwin Langberg *56

Edwin Langberg, entrepreneur, inventor, and Holocaust survivor, died Dec. 11, 2006. He was 81.

Born in Poland in 1925, Langberg fled the Nazi invasion of eastern Poland and its extermination of the Jewish population there at age 16. By assuming a series of false identities, he survived and joined the fight against the Nazis as a member of the Polish Air Force in exile.

He came to the United States in 1949, settled in Philadelphia, and graduated from the Moore School of Electrical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania in 1953. In 1956, he received a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Princeton. In his long career, he received more than 20 patents in electronics and biomedical engineering. In 2003, he wrote his autobiography, Sarah’s Blessing.

He is survived by his wife, Julia, two sons, and three grandchildren.

Harrington W. Benjamin *76

Harrington W. Benjamin, a former professor at Morehouse College and Harvard University, died suddenly Nov. 21, 2006, while on vacation with his family in Aruba.

Born in 1946, he was a graduate of Tennessee State University, and received a Ph.D. in history from Princeton. He started his teaching career at Morehouse College, and after four years returned to Princeton as a Danforth faculty fellow for a year of independent study. Benjamin then became a member of the African-American studies department at Harvard. A proud advocate of that department, he also stressed the importance of the historically black colleges.

He is survived by five sisters and numerous nieces and nephews.

This issue has an undergraduate memorial for Thomas Burns Fifield ’37 *40. end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary