October 10, 2007: From the Archives
It may look like mealtime at Hogwarts, but PAW’s more mature readers will identify this as dinner at Commons, the dining complex that the University named Madison Hall when it was completed in 1917. Waiters are in white and gentlemen sport jackets in this 1937 photo. Commons included a “club room” reserved for upperclassmen who did not belong to eating clubs. Similarly, Community Hall, the dining facility at Princeton’s new Whitman College, has two rooms that can be reserved for social or educational functions. Visitors to Whitman’s Community Hall may notice its resemblance to Commons.