Princeton Authors New site coming in Fall '08

July 16, 2008: Memorials


Charles died Feb. 6, 2007.

He prepared for Princeton at Choate, and at Princeton, he majored in economics. Shortly after graduating, he married Eliza-

beth Mary Blood in Detroit. They had two children, Elizabeth Grace Davis and Charles S. Davis III.

Charles started his career in Detroit with Borg-Warner Corp. He eventually became vice president and general manager of the Borg Heat Division. He was a member of the Country Club of Detroit, the Fine Arts Society, Bay View Yacht Club, and the Players Club.

At various times in his life, Charles had homes in Grosse Point Farms and Northport, Mich., and Fort Lauderdale and North Palm Beach, Fla.

Later in life Charles established a niche for himself as an author-playwright. In private letters he expressed strong disagreement with several of Princeton's policies. He was, however, a good and loyal classmate. We join with his survivors in mourning his loss.

The Class of 1936


Norm died in Atlanta Aug. 19, 2007. He was the son of Norman H. Donald 1903.

Norm came to Princeton from St. Paul's. He majored in geology, played rugby, and belonged to Cottage. He added roommates each year, winding up with eight his senior year.

Norm worked five years for New Jersey Zinc in Colorado. He then moved east and started a 30-year career with St. Joseph Land Co. of New York. Among his accomplishments was the discovery of some of the most highly productive zinc, lead, silver, and copper mines in Canada and Australia. He was in top management in the New York office when he retired in 1974.

In retirement Norm busied himself in consulting and diamond exploration. He served for more than five years as secretary of the Mining and Metallurgical Society of America.

Norm is survived by his second wife, Grace K. Feininger, whom he married in 1982; sons Norman H. III '59 and Williamson P. '65; a brother, Douglas D. '44; four grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and three stepchildren. His first wife, Angeline Pell Donald, died in 1981, and he also was predeceased by a daughter, Annette; a sister, Mary May Miller; and a grandson.

We regret the loss of this gifted, devoted classmate, a truly loyal Princetonian.

The Class of 1936


Bill died March 18, 2008, in Morgantown,

W. Va., where he had lived since the early 1940s.

He came to Princeton from Leominster (Mass.) High School and played on that great undefeated, untied, unscored-upon freshman football team of ours. He left us junior year because of an accident.

In Morgantown, Bill became a proprietor of C&D Enterprises, a developer of private and commercial real estate. He was president of the Rotary Club, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Fire Department Civil Service Commission.

Golf became one of his major activities. He was pretty good at it. He won 18 club championships, the state and North American senior championships, and the Prescott Bush Award, for which George H.W. Bush sent him a letter saying he was an inspiration to all golfers in their 70s and older. Starting at age 72, Bill shot his age or better more than 289 times. In 1997 he beat Sam Snead with an 80 to Snead's 83 in a specially arranged match.

Bill was a loyal '36er and devoted Princetonian. He enjoyed the only reunion he attended, our 50th. He leaves Darst, his wife of 67 years; sons William, Jeffrey, and Gilford; and six grandchildren. They have our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1936


Tom died peacefully June 14, 2007, at home in Washington, D.C. A memorial service was held at Arlington National Cemetery.

Tom majored in politics and was managing editor of The Daily Princetonian and chairman of The Tiger board. He was a member of the Committee on Undergraduate Life, the Honor Committee, the swim team, the 150-pound crew, and Charter Club.

Tom worked for Vick Chemical until 1941. He saw active duty with the Army in North Africa and Italy. He received the Legion of Merit, the Soldier's Medal, and the Italian Order of Sts. Maurizio e Lazzario (then the oldest order of nobility in Europe).

In 1949, Tom joined the two-year-old CIA. He stayed there until his retirement as assistant deputy director in 1973. He was the first person to serve as principal intelligence officer in the White House.

Tom volunteered on many boards, including the Georgetown Citizens Association, the Washington Hospital Center, where he was vice chairman, and the National Rehabilitation Hospital.

He is survived by Barbara, his wife of 67 years; daughters Cynthia MacNair and Susan Crary; and three grandchildren. His son, Thomas, died in 1957 at age 15. We offer our regrets to the family for its loss of this respected and well-liked classmate.

The Class of 1936


Although he had the name of a world-famous family (his father was the first recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for Reporting, in 1917), he was known to us simply as Ottie. He died in Palm Beach Jan. 4, 2008.

Ottie was dramatics editor of The Daily Princetonian, a member of Theatre Intime and the Whig Society, and on the debate panel. His major was philosophy. During the war he served in the Navy on a minesweeper.

In the early days of live television Ottie became a director for NBC and won the Sylvania Award for Outstanding Achievement in Directing Technique. He became executive producer of the well-known Wide, Wide World, and produced and directed such shows as Arsenic and Old Lace, Robert Montgomery Presents, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, and many others. He conducted his own radio and TV commentary shows. He produced movies and plays. Somehow he squeezed in time to be a journalist, lecturer, and book reviewer.

Ottie is survived by Herbert B. Swope III and Tracy Avildsen, his children with his first wife, Margaret Hayes, who died in 1977; three grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. Ottie's second wife, Elizabeth Edgar, also predeceased him. There are two stepchildren. We salute this talented and productive man and offer his family our regrets.

The Class of 1936


Lincoln Bull Dutcher died May 2, 2007, in Boulder, Colo.

He was born in Milwaukee, Wis., and also lived in Montclair, N.J., and Washington, Conn., where he graduated from The Gunnery as a member of the football, hockey, and baseball teams as well as the Glee Club and Gun Club.

At Princeton he majored in philosophy and was on the boxing and polo teams, winning a trophy as a member of the championship team in freshman intramural polo.

After graduation from Princeton, "Linc," or "Dutch" as he was known to us, started with Brooklyn Trust Co. After two years he found adding machines more interesting and began selling accounting machines for Remington Rand. He worked a while for National Cash Register Co. and later became associated with the Corning Records and Statistics Co. He soon was selling IBM machines and installing general office systems. His hobbies were golf and music.

To Linc's family and friends, the class extends loving sympathy.

The Class of 1937


George died Feb. 6, 2008.

After graduation, he began a career with Bamberger's department store, and except for his time in military service, he remained in retailing throughout the years. During World War II he served in the Navy as a lieutenant commander, principally in the Pacific theater aboard an aircraft carrier, with major responsibility for establishing supply depots throughout the Pacific.

He and Helen Louise McCreight were married in 1944, and with their three children, were a close and loving family. They lived for 32 years in Atlanta, where George retired as executive vice president of R.H. Macy & Co. During those years in Georgia, he served as elder of his church and participated in other community activities.

George always enjoyed golf and tennis, and in his later years also was interested in travel and small boating. In our 50th yearbook he said the only negative in his life had been a heart attack and that his participation in the Triangle Club was his favorite memory of Princeton.

Helen died in 1998. George is survived by their three children, Patricia Dean, George III, and Barbara Ann; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. To all of them, we offer our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1939

Stephen Stanley Sechrist II '39

Steve died Jan. 22, 2008, at his home in York, Pa., following a brief illness.

After college Steve joined the Red Lion Cabinet Co., a family business that manufactured cabinets for the radio and TV industry. In 1979, the business changed from woodworking to Revco Corp., making metal automotive parts, and he was board chairman.

Through the years Steve served on numerous boards in York, including the York Symphony Orchestra, the York Historical Society, and the York Country Day School. He was a past president of the York Council of Social Agencies and was actively involved in the York Literacy Council, teaching adults to read. His interests included gardening — flowers, shrubs, and trees — in York and at a house the family acquired in Grafton, Vt. A highlight since graduation was Steve's 1977 trip with the Princeton Club of New York on the Orient Express.

Steve married Mary Louise Wilton in 1952. They had a son, Stephen S. III '76, and daughters Mary and Hannah, both of whom attended Smith like their mother. Mary Louise died in 1994. To Steve's children and two grandchildren, we extend our sympathy.

The Class of 1939


Jack died April 19, 2008, at home in Newtown, Pa., after spending most of his life in eastern Pennsylvania and Princeton.

He prepared at Mercersburg Academy. At Princeton he majored in biology, achieving second group departmental honors. He was on the varsity tennis squad, and was a church monitor and member of Campus Club.

Upon graduation, Jack joined E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co. as a chemist for five years, then worked at Rohm and Haas Co. until his early retirement in 1978. He particularly enjoyed his position as corporate manager for urban affairs.

After retirement, his "second career" combined the major interests he shared with his wife, Frances: tennis and international goodwill. The pair organized and led enthusiasts to Egypt, Kenya, Russia, and Spain, promoting goodwill through tennis tournaments.

Jack was a nationally ranked Super Senior tennis player, inducted into the U.S. Tennis Association Middle States Chapter Hall of Fame in 2001. The Geisels often said their most rewarding endeavor was their volunteer work with the National Junior Tennis League, coaching inner-city teams and helping to break down racial barriers.

He is survived by Frances, his wife of 66 years; sons John Jr. and Ritchie '67 and their wives; four grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren. His classmates offer them their deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1940

Robert F. Goheen '40 *48

Bob, a titan of our class and of Princeton, died March 31, 2008, of heart failure.

So much has been published about Bob that this limited space can only begin to honor his life and achievements. He prepared at the Lawrenceville School, following his brother, Richard R.P. Goheen '36, and his uncle, Rhea M. Ewing '24, to Princeton. Our second-youngest classmate, he majored in classics, achieving highest honors. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and won the Pyne Prize.

Bob played varsity soccer, was president of I.A.A. and Quadrangle Club, and was a member of Whig-Clio, the Undergraduate Council, and the Interclub Committee.

During World War II, he served in war department intelligence and the infantry in the South Pacific, receiving the Legion of Merit and Bronze Star. Returning to graduate studies at Princeton, he earned a Ph.D. in classics in 1948.

In 1956, at the age of 37, he became Princeton's youngest president. His leadership during the tumultuous 1960s was outstanding. As PAW reported in its Jan. 23 issue, "Wilson excepted, no modern president has had more impact on Princeton."

Bob is survived by Margaret, his wife of 66 years; his daughters, Anne Goheen Crane, Trudi Goheen Swain, Megan Goheen Lower, and Elizabeth Goheen; his sons, Stephen and Charlie; 18 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. To them all, his classmates extend their deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940

Lawrence Heyl Jr. '40

Larry, a longtime resident of Nyack, N.Y., died May 5, 2008, after a long illness.

He prepared at Princeton Country Day School and the Lawrenceville School. At Princeton, he majored in English and was manager of the 1939 Interscholastic Tennis Tournament, chairman of the Nassau Lit, a member of Whig-Clio, and co-founder of the Princeton Hot Club and the Executive Committee.

During World War II, Larry joined the Army's 9th Division, which landed in Normandy June 12, 1944, following training in England. He met his future wife, Jean, a British private, at a dance in Winchester.

He spent most of his business career in the oil industry at Texaco, the American Petroleum Institute, and Mobil, heading investor relations.

While living in New York City, he was associate editor of Theatre Arts. He served on the boards of the Rockland Foundation and Edward Hopper House. Larry was an accomplished photographer in the style of Cartier-Bresson, capturing, in black and white, Rockland County artists as well as his family and friends. He edited Nyack in Black & White.

His classmates offer sincere condolences to Larry's wife of 60 years, Jean; daughters Margery and Dorothy and their husbands; and five grandchildren, including the children of his daughter Catherine, who died in 1998.

The Class of 1940


Morrie suffered a debilitating stroke May 7, 2001, and died peacefully at home Feb. 14, 2008.

He had prepared at Episcopal Academy and St. George's School. At Princeton he majored in history, rowed on the freshman crew, and joined Colonial Club. He roomed with Jack Dorrance freshman and sophomore years, but left Princeton in October of his senior year, going to work for E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co.

In 1943, Morrie was commissioned as an ensign at Notre Dame. He was assigned to Atlantic convoy duty on SC-432, becoming officer in charge. He later was transferred to the Pacific theater as commander of the USS APC 50 in the Philippines until February 1945.

Morrie separated as a lieutenant junior grade in March 1945 and returned to DuPont to become director of marketing in the textile fibers division. He retired in 1982.

Always active in civic affairs, Morrie served on the boards of Caron International, United Way of Chester County, Camp Hill Village, Kimberton Hills, Green Valleys Association, and French and Pickering Creeks Conservation Trust. He was a longtime president of the Countryman's Club.

Morrie is survived by his wife, Christine Hearn Huston; his children, Evelyn Q. Getman, Morrison C. Jr., and Priscilla; a stepson, Adam C. Tessier; five grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1941

Edwin R. Blomquist '42

Edwin R. Blomquist died in Chicago March 23, 2008, following a fall.

Ed received his secondary education at the Southern Arizona School for Boys. Following a year at Princeton he transferred to Northwestern University, where he had many family associations. He graduated from Northwestern in 1942.

Ed was drafted into the Army in the spring of 1942. Because of his knowledge of foreign languages, he joined the Counter Intelligence Corps and served in Morocco and Italy for more than three years. He was honorably discharged in 1945.

After the war he started Blomquist Reporting Services Inc., a credit-reporting agency, which he ran successfully for many years. In addition he was on the board of the North Side Boys' Clubs in Chicago. Ed and his wife lived part of the year in Lake Forest, Ill., and part on their farm in Shaftsbury, Vt.

Ed was a gentle, kindly man with a host of friends. The class sends its condolences to his wife, Carol; son Edwin R. Jr.; daughter Amy Buckley; and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1942

John C. Richards '42

John C. Richards died March 7, 2008, after a brief illness.

Jack graduated first in his class at Roosevelt High School in Yonkers, N.Y. At Princeton he majored in chemistry, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his junior year, and graduated with high honors. He roomed with Smoky Williams and Forest Eggleston and joined Court Club.

After graduation, Jack did chemical research, first for the National Defense Research Council and then for DuPont. He took a leave of absence from DuPont and earned a Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Illinois. He then returned to DuPont and was active in the development of such well-known products as Orlon, Dacron, and Mylar.

Throughout his life, Jack was involved as a lay leader in the Episcopal Church. He was senior warden in St. David's Church in Wilmington, Del., and head of the building committee.

Jack married Mary Leone Fallon in 1943. She and Jack founded a devoted family, which, along with his career and church

service, made up the core of his life. Mary died in January. Jack is survived by daughters Bobbie and Jean; sons Jim, Dave, and Paul; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. To them all, the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1942

Herman Ulmer Jr. '42

Herdy Ulmer died of heart failure March 19, 2008, in Jacksonville, Fla.

He was born in Jacksonville and prepared at The Hill School. At Princeton, Herdy played on the championship 150-pound football team and was a member of Cottage Club. He majored in economics and graduated with honors.

Herdy's ROTC experience led to a commission as a second lieutenant in the Field Artillery. A short interval the Army allowed before he was required to report to Fort Sill gave him just enough time to marry Betty Payne. He spent the war as a liaison artillery officer with the infantry of the 78th Division. With the infantry he fought in the Hürtgen Forest and across the Rhine, earning a Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster, a distinguished-unit citation, and three battle stars. He was discharged as a captain.

After graduating from the University of Florida Law School, Herdy joined the Jacksonville law firm that had been founded by his father and uncle. There he practiced business and probate law for 50 years. Among his many civic achievements was his role in transforming the Bolles School from a small military academy to a competitive preparatory school.

To his wife, Elizabeth; daughters Jean Brinkman, Elizabeth Jolley, Dorothy Marsh, and Frances Howey; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren; the class sends its sympathy.

The Class of 1942


Bud, who long tasted life with zest, died Feb. 15, 2008, in Aiken, S.C., after a yearlong battle with cancer. He was 85.

In our 40th-reunion book, he wrote that he'd like to slow down, "but I don't know how." Born in Canton, Ohio, where his ancestry was long and prominent, he was president of his high school class, a National Honor Society member, and active in swimming, riflery, and track.

At Princeton, Bud majored in English and psychology, roomed with Ken Miller, and was a member of Terrace Club. After serving three years as an Army first lieutenant during World War II, he returned to graduate in 1946 and then earned a law degree from the University of Virginia in 1950. He entered his father's law firm in Canton, where he was a leader in legal, educational, and cultural associations.

He and his wife, Dorothy, who survives him, celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary last year. They moved to Aiken about 25 years ago, where they both enjoyed horseback riding and Bud continued civic volunteer work and occasionally kept up his law practice. They enjoyed visiting with the Millers, the Brooks Gardners, Willie Kerr, and other classmates. Our sincere condolences go to Dorothy and their friends.

The Class of 1944


Jack Martin died Jan. 8, 2008, in California, where he had lived for the past 30 years. He was 86.

Born in Flint, Mich., Jack was raised outside Toledo, Ohio, and was football captain and class president at Waite High School. "Big Jack" was one of our class football stars — a career offensive center — and one of three classmates who transferred to the Naval Academy during World War II.

At Princeton, Jack majored in chemistry, won his football "P" as a sophomore, and was a member of Dial Lodge. He then played three years of varsity football with Navy, served two years in the war, and played three years of professional football with the Los Angeles Rams. During the Korean War, he returned briefly as assistant line coach at Navy, and then started a long career in industrial relations. He stayed in steady contact with one of our other Annapolis transfers and Navy footballer, Ben Martin.

Jack and his wife, Evelyn Buchele Martin, recently had celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary. In addition to his wife, Jack is survived by his sons, Thomas Michael and John Patrick; a daughter, Joan Alison; four grandchildren; and a sister, Mary Pennington. Our sincere condolences go to all the family.

The Class of 1944


George Armstrong died March 27, 2008.

George entered Princeton from Exeter, following his father George Armstrong 1909, and joined Key and Seal. His Princeton career was interrupted by service as an ambulance driver with the Army Medical Corps in England, North Africa, and Italy as well as service in the Pacific theater in the Philippines.

Returning to Princeton, he married Jane Griffiths in 1947 and received a degree in history from Princeton in 1949. George worked for the CIA for 10 years. He became an automobile dealer with Renault and Toyota, and purchased an airplane and began to fly. He retired in 1979.

George and Jane bought a house in New Hampshire, alternating by season between Maryland and New England. In addition to Jane, George leaves daughters Susan Hamberger and Anne, and three grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to all.

The Class of 1945


Griff died Aug. 20, 2007, in New York City.

He entered Princeton from Lawrenceville, roomed with Frank Schaffer, joined Cloister Inn, and graduated in 1947. He was an Army officer during World War II. He was a director of the advertising agency Benton & Bowles in New York City and for many years headed that agency's London office. Griff loved traveling and New York theater.

For 20 years he had lunch almost monthly with an old classmate at which he toasted the Class of 1945!

He is survived by his wife, Nadia; a son, Pitt; and a daughter, Ashley. He will be fondly remembered by his classmates and particularly his old roommate.

The Class of 1945


Norm Ley died Feb. 25, 2008.

Norm entered Princeton from Westfield (N.J.) High School. His Princeton career was interrupted for service with the Navy V-12 program at Cornell University. He was commissioned as an ensign and served on Guam. Returning to Princeton, he received a degree in chemical engineering in 1947. He was a member of Dial Lodge.

Norm married Mildred Morton in 1950. His entire 39-year career was with Procter & Gamble. He started in Port Ivory, Staten Island, N.Y., moved to Baltimore, then spent 29 years in Cincinnati. Norm traveled extensively for the international division to manufacturing facilities around the world, including Europe, Asia, the Middle East, South America, and Africa.

Norm was active in the Presbyterian Church, serving as an elder, deacon, and trustee. He served on the board of trustees of the Valley Interfaith Food and Clothing Center.

Norm made an impact on Albert Einstein. While riding his bicycle on campus in 1941, he ran into Einstein, nearly knocking him over.

In addition to Mildred, Norm leaves brothers Darwin '40, Robert, and Richard; four children, Bruce, JoAnne Cunningham, Elizabeth Balinsky, and James; and eight grandchildren. The class expresses its sympathy to all.

The Class of 1945


Harrison McCawley died March 8, 2008.

Mac entered Princeton from Valley Forge (Pa.) Military Academy and joined Dial Lodge. His Princeton career was interrupted by service as an Army officer, seeing combat with the 309th Artillery 78th Division in Belgium and Germany. He then commanded POW camps in the Paris area.

Returning to Princeton in 1946, he graduated cum laude in 1948 with a degree in humanities. It was in Paris that he met Lilette Calothy, whom he married in 1953 when he returned to France after graduating from Harvard Law School.

Mac worked for four years as an attorney in the Justice Department and then for 20 years as a staff member of the Joint Committee on Taxation. In 1980, he became a consultant for a Washington, D.C., law firm, where he wrote numerous articles and handbooks on various aspects of taxation that were published by the Bureau of National Affairs. He retired in 2001 to his home in Fort Washington, Md.

In addition to Lilette, Mac is survived by a daughter, Nicole Reidy; a son, Harrison III; two grandchildren; and his brother, Bill. The class extends its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945


Steve died April 11, 2008, after a brief battle with cancer.

Steve grew up in Providence and Saunderstown, R.I., and attended Providence Country Day School. While at Princeton, he majored in chemistry. He served three years in the Navy Reserve, and then worked briefly for the J.T. Baker Chemical Co.

After receiving a master's degree from Columbia Business School, Steve began working for Union Carbide Corp. in 1949. He spent the next 33 years working for Carbide in a variety of accounting and financial positions, the last 11 as its treasurer.

After his retirement in 1982, Steve was an active volunteer for numerous organizations in his hometown of Darien, Conn. He served terms as commodore of the Noroton Yacht Club, headed Darien's United Way campaign, and in 1989, received the Darien Chamber of Commerce's Award for Lifetime Achievement.

Steve dated Sally Lord while at Princeton, and they were wed in June 1949. During nearly 59 years of marriage, they were devoted to the University. Steve is survived by Sally; their three sons, Steve'73, Pete, and Dave; six grandsons; and one granddaughter. Two grandsons, Andrew '06 and David '08, graduated from Princeton. The class expresses its sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945


Dick Perry died Jan. 4, 2008.

Dick entered Princeton from Kent School. He married Allene Ferguson before departing for service as a torpedo bomber pilot with the Navy, seeing extensive combat in the Pacific theater, and being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Returning from the war, he joined the manufacturing firm of Gilbert & Bennett in Georgetown, Conn. He became active in local affairs in his hometown of Waccabuc, N.Y., serving for many years on the local board of education. He was a longtime member of the Waccabuc Country Club, where he enjoyed playing golf and tennis.

Dick resumed his studies and received a bachelor's degree from Sarah Lawrence College two decades after his daughter Anne ("Dixie") attended the same institution. Dick spent his working career at Gilbert & Bennett and retired only when the firm was bought out by a group of investors from Kuwait. He then pursued outdoor sports, including rock climbing and mountain climbing.

Allene predeceased Dick in 2006. He is survived by Dixie; two grandchildren, Kathryn and Richard Todd; and his brothers, Samuel and Edward. The class expresses its sympathy to the family on the loss of this valued classmate.

The Class of 1945


Robert Bartlett died in Easton, Md., Jan. 13, 2008.

He was born in Baltimore, prepared at South Kent (Conn.) School, and entered Princeton in 1942. A year later he enlisted in the Air Force, becoming a B-24 bomber pilot in southern Italy, from which he led his crew in numerous bombing runs over occupied Europe.

After the war, Bob enrolled at Johns Hopkins, where he married Anne Merryman Kemp. After receiving a degree in business administration, he served a stint at U.Va. before joining his brother and half-brother in founding a plastics business in Waynesboro, Va. The business later was sold to W.R. Grace & Co.

In 1972, Bob married his second wife, Margaret Valliant West, and retired to Tequesta, Fla., where the couple lived for 29 years until her death in 2001. In 2006, he met Nellie "Nonnie" Holland Morton, whom he married in September 2007.

In addition to Nonnie, Bob is survived by his four children, Robert Dixon Bartlett III, Elizabeth Merryman Bartlett, Alice Bartlett Pelanne, and Anne Bartlett Jelich; two stepchildren, Margaret Rogers Weir and James Lyon Rogers; seven grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and his first wife, Anne Kemp Robson.

The Class of 1946


Calvin Lang died Feb. 1, 2008, in Louisville, Ky. He was 83.

Cal was born in Portland, Ore., and arrived at Princeton in 1942, where he joined Cloister Inn, played tennis, sang in the Glee Club, and majored in chemistry.

Cal received his doctorate in biochemistry from Johns Hopkins in 1954, and after several years of postdoctoral research, joined the faculty of the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He remained there, carrying out very active research and teaching programs, until his retirement as professor emeritus of biochemistry. He was noted for his studies of the role of glutathione (GSH) as a key determinant of health and biological aging in mosquitoes, mice, and men.

Two of the major influences in Cal's life were choral music and scouting. His wife, Helen Lew Lang, founded the Crane House of the Asia Institute in Louisville. Cal and Helen were active members of the Calvin Presbyterian Church.

Cal is survived by Helen; four children, Beverly Lang Pierce, Kathryn Lang Gustafson, David Charles Lang; and Paul Allen Lang; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1946

Eugene D. Hill '47

Gene joined our V-12 ranks in '43 and went on to 28 months of service as an ensign and then as a reservist until 1960.

He married M. Preston "Pres" Hodges in 1950 while beginning a distinguished career as a chemical engineer with the Ideal Cement Co. He was honored for outstanding services by the American Concrete Institute and later received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Society of Testing and Materials.

Retiring (sort of) in 1985, Gene joined a small consulting firm, having learned that the "satisfaction of a job well done is more important then climbing the rungs of a corporate ladder," and as a corollary, "no business problem can be solved without addressing the people aspects of it."

In our yearbook Gene spoke fondly of his Princeton years: the enjoyment of forging lasting friendships, of serious "bull sessions," and the inspiration derived from studying Greek philosophers. Too, he savored the joys of a long, loving marriage and witnessing children and grandchildren pass through the cycles of happy lives.

On Feb. 24, 2008, Gene finally succumbed to a terminal illness. We send our warm wishes to Pres and the family.

The Class of 1947


Jimmy died Sept. 11, 2007, of bone cancer at the age of 83.

He came to Princeton in the Marine V-12 program after service in the Pacific theater. While at Princeton he played on the varsity basketball and golf teams.

Jimmy spent his working career as a salesman, and said he had a talent for showing "prospects and suspects" the reason for buying. He started with National Cash Register as a sales representative. He then was a consultant and manufacturers' representative with the George May Co. He also was active in the New York Republican Party. After retirement he served as a city commissioner in Beverly Beach, Fla. Jimmy retained a very active interest in sports throughout his life as both a participant and a spectator.

Jimmy is survived by three sons, James, Chris, and Neil; and six grandchildren, who remember him as a man who lived life to the fullest. To them, the class extends its sincere sympathy in their loss.

The Class of 1949


Herb died June 14, 2005, at the age of 87. He was the oldest member of our class.

Herb prepared at Richmond Hill (N.Y.) High School and served in the Army from 1941 until 1946 in the Pacific theater, attaining the rank of captain. At Princeton he majored in chemical engineering and was a member of Prospect Club.

Herb's career started with American Cyanamid. He then worked at C-E Lummus as a project manger for chemical processes. After a stint as a computing manager for a Venezuelan oil field, he ended his career developing fiber-optic computer networks for the state of Maryland.

Herb is survived by his wife, Roxanne, and a daughter, Margaret. The class extends its sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949


Ed died peacefully Feb. 13, 2008, after a lengthy illness, at his home in Akron, Ohio. In his obituary, Ed was described as a man with "zest for life with a keen intellect, quirky sense of humor, and enduring love for his wife and family."

He graduated as valedictorian of Akron's Springfield High School in 1943. After serving in the Army until 1946, he entered Princeton on the GI Bill. He was a member of Key and Seal and majored in biology, graduating with honors. He completed his medical studies at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine in 1954. Following a two-year residency at University Hospitals in Cleveland, Ed began his career as an ophthalmologist at the Akron Clinic. He opened his own practice in 1964, and continued it until 1993 when he retired.

In 1952, Ed married Mary Jane Pollack, whom he met at a family picnic when she was just 15. Together they raised four children. In retirement, with Mary, he enjoyed fishing, gardening, playing tennis, and spending the winter months in their Key Largo condo.

Our condolences go to Mary; their children, Eric, Robert, Stephen, and Susan; many grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

The Class of 1950


J.J. died from lung cancer Dec. 2, 2000. He was 71.

He was born in Elizabeth, N.J., and graduated from Canterbury School. At Princeton, he majored in biology, worked for WPRU, was an officer in the Catholic Club, and was a member of Campus Club. He roomed with his brother, John T. Walsh '52, and Charlie Johnson. He left Princeton in 1949.

At our 10th, he wrote from St. Louis that since leaving Princeton he had earned a degree in modern languages at Seton Hall University, spent a year studying law at Rutgers, and served two years in the Army as a military police officer. At that time his interests were in hospital administration. He married Rose Orlando in 1959.

We know little of J.J. since then, except that he had a daughter and two sons and had lived for many years in Phoenix. We belatedly extend our condolences to his survivors.

The Class of 1950


Bud was born Aug. 25, 1929, in Orange, N.J., the son of Henry H. Hoyt '17 and Anna Orcutt.

He prepared at Pingry and was an economics major at Princeton, graduating from both cum laude. He roomed with Nolen Bailey, Dick Cruess, and Jim Umstattd, was a member of Charter Club, and was head varsity football manager his junior year. In 1953 he earned an M.B.A. from Columbia and went to work for Carter-Wallace Inc., retiring as chairman of the executive committee in 1996. Bud's father was chairman of the Carter-Wallace board when he retired in 1972.

Bud served on the boards of trustees of the Pingry School, YMCA of the Oranges, and the American Hospital of Paris Foundation. He was a member of the Union League and of the Metropolitan, Short Hills, and University clubs.

Bud's marriage to Gayle Chamberlin ended in divorce. He died at home in New York City Oct. 16, 2007, after a long illness and is survived by his wife, Suzanne Cavan Hoyt; his children, Scott, Susan, Ames, and Sarah Steidel '83 and her husband, Charles Steidel '84; his stepson, William Nguyen; his brother, Henry H. Jr. '49; his sister; Suzanne Hoyt; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1951

John J.F. Sherrerd '52

Jay Sherrerd died April 9, 2008, one month after his 78th birthday and 19 months after beginning a spirited and courageous battle with brain cancer.

Jay attended Episcopal Academy and graduated from The Hill School. He served Princeton and our class with good humor, good cheer, striking generosity, and great competence. Jay never missed a reunion. He served on the class executive committee for more than 50 years. He was class president and class treasurer. He led the "Critical Few" component of our major reunion Annual Giving efforts with record-shattering results. Jay was instrumental in funding and naming the Class of 1952 Stadium.

For the University, he was a 34-year member of the national Annual Giving committee. As a 20-year University charter trustee, he assumed a number of significant positions, including co-chair of the Anniversary Campaign, chair of the University Resources Committee, and vice chair of the executive committee of the board. He was a persuasive advocate for replacing student loans with grants.

Jay was a prominent investment manager and a founding partner of Miller, Anderson & Sherrerd.

He was predeceased in 2005 by his wife, Kathy. He is survived by his son, Jay F. Sherrerd; his daughters, Anne C. Sherrerd *87 and Susan M. Sherrerd '86; his sister, Eve S. Bogle s'51; and six grandchildren; to whom our class offers its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1952


John died of heart failure Jan. 11, 2008, in Rochester Hills, Mich.

John grew up in Chattanooga, where he attended McCallie School. He entered the undergraduate history program at Princeton in 1949. After graduation in 1953 he studied in Europe and earned both a License-és-Lettres (1959) and a Diplôme d'Etudes Supérieures (1960) from the University of Paris.

John next entered the graduate art history program at Yale, where he earned master's and doctoral degrees in art history. His research on Romanesque architecture and architectural sculpture was published in the Bulletin Monumental, Gesta, and the Grove Dictionary of Art.

In the last 20 years, he turned his research interests to 19th-century French photography, and he was recognized for his scholarship on the French photographic firm of Claude-Marie Ferrier and Charles Soulier, whose glass and paper stereographs he avidly collected.

John was a professor of art history at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich., for 43 years. His zest for life, his giddy defiance of conformity, and his subversive sense of humor combined to make him a favorite of students. He was still teaching a full schedule of classes at the time of his passing, having shown little interest in retirement.

John is survived by his wife, Janice Schimmelman, and his cousins, Robert and Daniel Crates.

The Class of 1953


We lost Terry, our jovial Irish classmate, March 23, 2008, after a brief battle with leukemia. He died in Baldwinsville, N.Y., where he and his devoted wife, Mary Louise, had lived for half a century.

Born in Baltimore, Terry graduated from Boys' Latin School and played lacrosse at Princeton for three years. He took his meals at Cloister Inn, majored in electrical engineering, and roomed senior year with George Cadeu and Tom LeBrun. After Army service, he received master's degrees in engineering and business at Syracuse University.

Terry became chief engineer during his 36-year career with General Electric in the Syracuse area. He received numerous technical awards and patents while engineering surface radar systems for national defense. He had a lifelong love of learning and enjoyed repairing everything and anything that needed fixing. He restored the historic Baldwinsville home in which he and Mary Louise lived.

Terry's other interests included tennis, sailing, and music, and we won't forget his fiddle playing at reunions. Our condolences go to Mary Louise; their children, Kathleen Connolly Milly '78, Terrence II '79, and Michael; and six grandchildren.

The Class of 1953

Brice McAdoo Clagett '54

Brice Clagett died of cardiac arrest at George Washington University Hospital April 8, 2008.

Born in Washington, D.C., Brice graduated from the St. Albans School. At Princeton, he majored in history and served as editorial chairman of The Daily Princetonian, among many other campus activities. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School, where he was on the Harvard Law Review and the board of editors, and won a Rotary Fellowship to study at the University of Allahabad in India.

He worked for more than four decades with the law firm of Covington & Burling. His specialties were numerous and included public and private international law, foreign claims, international arbitration, international land and maritime boundaries, transportation and environmental law, and Middle Eastern law.

In 1975, he argued before the Supreme Court in United States v. Maine. He served as chairman of the Maryland Historical Trust and the Maryland Environmental Trust and was a member of the Clagett Family Com-mittee of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

The class extends its sympathy to his wife of 20 years, Diana; his sons from his first marriage, John and Brooke; and three stepchildren.

The Class of 1954


Terry Sutphen died Feb. 1, 2008, in Vero Beach, Fla., after a lifetime of achievement and service.

Coming to Princeton from Hotchkiss, he majored in geology, lettered in track, and was a member of Cap and Gown. After graduation and two years in the Navy, Terry had a successful 31-year management career with Dresser Industries. At 33, he was the company's youngest works manager.

His second career was as a corporate consultant and professor at Brooklyn Polytech.

Terry was involved in many civic activities, including the Nantucket Community Association, Nantucket Yacht Club, Vero Beach Community Church, and the Princeton Alumni Association of Nantucket, which he served as an officer.

Working with young people gave Terry great joy and satisfaction. An original founder of Princeton Project 55, he volunteered as office manager, later serving as board director and as chairman of the program committee. He was devoted to Princeton and our class, co-chairing our 45th reunion, working on AG campaigns, and spearheading the initial link to our "grandchild" Class of 2005.

At the close of his memorial service in Vero Beach, 26 Princetonians, including six classmates, paid tribute to Terry with a stirring rendition of "Old Nassau."

To Barbara, Terry's wife of 52 years; his sons, John and Bruce; the grandchildren; his extended family; and many friends; the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1955


Pratt died May 9, 2007, of a heart attack in England, where he had lived for more than 40 years.

After spending two years at Princeton, Pratt graduated with honors from Columbia and then, as he describes it in our 50th-reunion book, "went on to see the world in the eyes of an industrialist." His travels took him to graduate school in Geneva, to London (where he married Jenny), to Tokyo, Hong Kong, and then back to the UK.

Pratt's varied and fascinating business career included electronics, manufacturing, and the directorships of two insurance companies and an investment trust. Jenny Thompson has had a successful painting career with regular exhibitions in London and elsewhere. Pratt's joy of life will be sorely missed.

To Jenny, daughters Amanda and Trendell, Pratt's grandchildren, and his colleagues and friends, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1955

Arthur R. Klein '59

Artie died of pancreatic cancer Jan. 9, 2008, in Chappaqua, N.Y.

Coming to Princeton from Malverne (N.Y.) High School, Artie majored in chemical engineering and joined Cannon Club. One of Cappy Cappon's "Iron Five," he gained lasting notoriety in the annals of Princeton basketball for his off-the-bench, game-winning, "impossible" 42-foot hook shot at the buzzer against Dartmouth in overtime. So legendary was it that the Dartmouth player guarding Artie in that game, who hadn't seen him in 50 years, called Artie when he learned of his illness.

Artie served six months in the Army Medical Corps, then briefly tested the chemical-engineering waters with Atlantic Refining. Realizing that his future lay elsewhere, he earned an M.B.A. in marketing from Columbia and joined Young & Rubicam. This obviously was the correct career choice since Artie stayed with Y&R for more than 30 years, serving on the board of directors and retiring as executive vice president.

Upon retirement he turned his considerable energies to golf, supplementing his retirement income with winnings from his golfing partners, John Heyd, Tom Towers, and Howie Hudson, who, together with Hugh Helfenstein, represented the class at Artie's funeral services.

Artie is survived by Sandi, his wife of 44 years; three children; and seven grandchildren; who remember him as an adoring and selfless husband, father, and grandparent.

The Class of 1959

Richard C. Deyo '60

Dick died of cancer Jan. 28, 2008, at his home in Short Hills, N.J.

Born in Elizabeth, N.J., Dick came to Princeton from the Pingry School. He majored in art and archaeology and was a member of Key and Seal Club, the Orange Key Guide Service, and the French Club.

After graduation, Dick served in the Army and earned an M.B.A. at Harvard Business School. His career encompassed a number of advertising and marketing positions in the New York metropolitan area with Compton and Dancer-Fitzgerald-Sample, American Home Products, CPC International, and Carter-Wallace Inc., from which he retired in 1997 after 22 years of service.

An especially devoted member of our class, Dick served as class president from 2000 to 2005. He was also governor-general of the National Society of Colonial Wars, governor of the New York Society of Colonial Wars, and a member of several other historical organizations. Dick chaired the Short Hills Historic Preservation Commission for many years and was an avid collector of Greek and Roman coins.

Kathy, Dick's wife of 40 years, and their daughter, Alexandra, survive Dick. The class sends heartfelt condolences to the family.

The Class of 1960

Paul Robert Gray Sackett '60

Paul died March 17, 2008. He resided in Stamford, N.Y., at the time of his death.

Paul came to Princeton from the Choate School. He left Princeton and completed his undergraduate studies at C.W. Post College. He was a lifetime member of the National Association for Amateur Radio and worked for many years as an electronics sales specialist with Lafayette Electronics in White Plains, N.Y. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church.

His nephews, Alan and John Borst; a niece, Anna Benson Borst Henry; and seven grandnephews and grandnieces survive Paul.

The class sends its condolences to the family on its loss.

The Class of 1960

Charles E. Mitchell '63 *67

Charlie died March 10, 2008, of a massive heart attack after a typically productive day working on his beloved Colorado tree farm.

A champion pole-vaulter at Princeton and a legendary member of Tiger Inn, he set an enduring record at 15 feet 3 inches when the world record was 15 feet 10 inches, prior to the development of the high-density fiberglass pole.

Charlie routinely pushed the envelope by climbing higher and solving the seemingly unsolvable. He loved his family, the mountains, nature, and the power of pure science.

In 1967, after earning his doctorate in aerospace and mechanical engineering at Princeton, he joined the faculty of Colorado State University. For more than 41 years he taught thermodynamics and engineering principles and developed courses in aerospace propulsion and compressible fluids. At the graduate level he created courses in the mechanics and thermodynamics of propulsion, combustion, and wave propagation.

An international expert in aerospace and propulsion systems, he consulted for federal agencies and corporations. Charlie also helped to develop a safe and dependable liquid hydrogen and oxygen rocket engine now commonly employed in most space programs.

The class extends its sympathy to his wife, Veta; three children, Charlie, Lynne Aquarius, and Darla; and brothers and sisters, William, Michael '65, John *71, Jan, Steven, and Cheryl.

The Class of 1963


Dick died March 8, 2008, after a brief illness.

A native of Richmond, Va., Dick graduated from that city's Manchester High School. At Princeton he was a Woodrow Wilson School major and a member of Campus Club. He served in the Chapel Choir and as an Orange Key guide.

Following Princeton, Dick earned a law degree from the University of Virginia. He then served in the Marines for three years. Upon his discharge as a corporal, he entered a private law practice in Richmond. He continued in that career for the rest of his life.

Throughout his life, Dick was an enthusiastic supporter of arts and community organizations — particularly historical organizations. He was a devoted volunteer with the Old Dominion Railway Museum, the National Railway Historical Society, and Historic Richmond.

He also had a lifelong love of music, singing in choirs and performing in rock and jazz bands throughout his life.

Dick is survived by his daughter, Rebecca Hogan; his wife, Ann Thompson-Hogan; her children, Kristin Thompson and Erik Thompson; and her grandchildren. The class extends its deepest sympathy to them all.

The Class of 1966


The class learned only this spring of the death of Bruce Vanda on Feb. 9, 1996.

Bruce came to Princeton from Beverly Hills High School, where he was senior class president and a member of the wrestling team. At Princeton he majored in French, joined Cloister Inn, served as advertising director and business manager of WPRB, and wrestled during freshman year.

After Princeton, Bruce earned an M.B.A. at Harvard Business School and then served in the Army, rising to the rank of first lieutenant and receiving a Bronze Star.

Bruce returned to California to begin a career in business. His interests outside his professional activities included playing the bassoon and sailing. At the time of his death — by his own hand — he was CEO of a medical technology company in San Jose. The class sends its condolences to his widow and family.

The Class of 1966

Diane E. Alington-Leaf '73

Diane E. Alington-Leaf died Jan. 4, 2008, at home in Princeton after a long illness. She was 65. Diane had successfully conquered several life-threatening illnesses during her lifetime, and some recent ones over the past several years, with significant suffering and disability, but always with great dignity and spirit.

Born in Saskatoon, Canada, her family home was in Kaleden, British Columbia. Diane had a remarkable life, starting with her early childhood in wartime Britain and followed by her teen years as a ballet dancer in Canada when she danced for the Queen of England. She left home at 17 to be a flight attendant for several years, and moved to the United States in 1962.

She graduated from Centenary College (then a two-year school) in 1971, and transferred to Princeton in the Class of 1973 (classmates may remember her under the name Diane MacKinnon). Diane was unusual in being an older, transfer student, but she was devoted to Princeton and always proud of her ties to the University. She majored in psychology and completed her thesis with Professor Charles Gross, graduating summa cum laude and with election to Phi Beta Kappa. An article based on her thesis was published in 1976. Diane went on to earn a Ph.D. in psychology in 1983 from Rutgers University, where she met her husband and soulmate, Russell Leaf, a professor of psychology.

She returned to Centenary College, where she served as professor of psychology, department chair, and dean. When Rutgers University established its Institute for Health, Health Care Policy, and Aging Research in 1985, Diane became its first assistant director, and helped spearhead its highly successful undergraduate research-training program for minority students. After retiring from the institute in 1995, Diane became a medical writer and author and president of The Word Doctors. She continued writing until days before her last hospitalization.

Her beloved husband, Russ, predeceased her in September 1997. Daughter of the late Audrey Robertson, she is survived by her father, Geoffrey Alington; two sons, Daniel M. Leaf and Jonathan I. Leaf; a daughter, Sarah R. Leaf; three sisters, Alaine Burgess, Lynn O'Brien, and Roberta DeLuca; and two granddaughters. Her many devoted friends will miss her and remember her brilliance and her never-flagging kindness.

Classmates who wish to honor Diane's memory may make contributions to the Class of 1976's Spirit of Service New Orleans Public Health Fellowship. Checks should be made out to: “Class of 1976, Princeton University,” and “Spirit of Service '76 New Orleans Public Health Fellowship” should be written on the memo line. Send contributions to Joci Spector, treasurer, 7202 45th St., Chevy Chase, MD 20815-6033.

The Class of 1973

Thomas Cheng '74

Tom died from complications of multiple myeloma Feb. 25, 2008. He was mourned by hundreds at his service, including patients, friends, colleagues, and family.

Tom graduated from Lawrenceville, majored in chemistry at Princeton, and graduated from Weill Medical College of Cornell in 1978. Following further studies at Indiana University and the University of Chicago, Tom and his wife, Jean Bayer, settled in the Twin Cities in 1983, where he practiced cardiology for the rest of his life.

His best friends during his Princeton years were James T.C. Li, David Adams, and Peter Chopivsky. They remember him as the most-liked pre-med student, with a sunny demeanor and caring behavior. Tom's leadership skills led him to the post of Pre-Med Society president.

Pete recalled that Tom "had a genius for friendship, and his friendships were found in diverse camps. He wrote in the senior yearbook, 'I would not like to be categorized as a member of the Third World.'" Tom was proud of his Chinese heritage and of his parents for instilling that pride in him, but he preferred being just Tom.

He loved Princeton and was so pleased when his daughter, Katie, joined the Class of 2009. In addition to Katie, Tom is survived by his wife; sons David and Michael; his brother, Andrew '71; sisters Doreen and Irene; and his parents, Professor and Mrs. Sin-I Cheng.

The Class of 1974


Floyd Weinstock died Aug. 24, 2007, of a traumatic brain injury suffered while rollerblading.

Floyd came to Princeton after growing up in White Plains, N.Y. His time on campus on weekends was limited by his regular trips to visit his future wife, Maureen O'Neill, at Cornell. They had been married for 32 years at the time of Floyd's death. A religion major at Princeton, Floyd enrolled at the University of Chicago's Pritzker School of Medicine after graduation. He completed his residency at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, and established a thriving ophthalmology practice in Lawrenceville, N.J, settling in nearby Pennington.

Floyd will be remembered by his friends and patients for his excellent sense of humor, as a very good pianist and tennis player, and as a caring, dedicated physician. Above all, though, Floyd was a family man, devoted to Maureen and his children, Erin and Matthew. He also found time to keep up with old friends. Rollerblading was his favorite form of exercise.

The class extends its deepest sympathy to Maureen, Erin, and Matthew on the loss of this talented physician and loving husband and father.

The Class of 1975

Graduate Alumni

Lawrence L. Rauch *49

Lawrence L. Rauch, telemetering pioneer and faculty member at the University of Michigan from 1949 to 1977 who retired as associate chair of the department of electrical and computer engineering, died Dec. 18, 2007, of Alzheimer's disease. He was 88.

In 1941, Rauch received a bachelor's in math and physics from the University of Southern California and enrolled in the Princeton Graduate School. From 1943 to 1949, he taught math at Princeton, sandwiched around full-time work for the War Research Board. He left for Michigan in 1949, the same year he received his math Ph.D. from Princeton. After Michigan, Rauch returned to California, and from 1977 to 1985 he was the chief technologist and senior research engineer at the NASA/Caltech Jet Propulsion Lab.

Rauch's long career involved supervising the development of radio telemetering for the first jet aircraft, and pressure telemetering for atomic bomb testing at the Bikini Atoll. He was involved in the design and testing of America's first large space rockets. Rauch wrote the first book on radio telemetry and received major awards at international telemetering conferences in London in 1960 and in the U.S. in 1985.

Rauch is survived by his wife, Norma, two sons, and four grandchildren.

Irwin E. Vas *55

Irwin E. Vas, who was born in Bombay in 1931, came to the U.S. in 1947, and later worked in aeronautical engineering for over 50 years, died Nov. 11, 2007. He was 76.

Starting at Catholic University, Vas earned a bachelor's in mechanical and aeronautical engineering, and in 1955 received a master's in that field from Princeton. He worked full time until 1977 at Princeton's department of mechanical and aerospace engineering, where he did research and taught, rising from research assistant to senior aeronautical engineer and lecturer. Meanwhile, he earned a Ph.D. in 1970 from New York University.

In 1977, Vas left Princeton to join New York State's Energy and Research Authority. Since 1987 he had been with Boeing Co., working in advanced aeronautics, aerodynamics, and electrodynamics with NASA. He authored more than 100 papers and presentations on supersonic and hypersonic flows, wind energy, and aeronautic fields.

Vas is survived by Manya, his wife of 42 years; two children; and three grandsons.

This issue has undergraduate memorials for Robert F. Goheen '40 *48 and Charles E. Mitchell '63 *67.end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary