Memorials: December 25, 1996

Joseph Frank Miller '28
Joe Miller died July 22, 1996, at home in Deal Park, N.J. He was a summer resident of the Jersey Shore since infancy, and lived in Deal for many years. He prepared for college at Horace Mann School in NYC, and at Princeton he majored in art and archeology. He went to Harvard Law School, receiving his degree in 1931. He entered private practice in NYC.
At the outbreak of WWII, he became counsel for the Defense Plant Corp. and during the Korean War was counsel to the Natl. Production Authority in Washington. He became the executive secretary of the wire and cable division of the Natl. Electrical Manufacturers Assn. (NEMA) in 1953 and later was its president and managing director. Joe wrote an article on NEMA in The Appliance Manufacturer magazine in Sept. 1958. Before he retired he was active in the Trade Executive Consultants Inc. in NYC.
Joe married Marjorie Keith in 1930. She survives him, as do three children, Kenneth, Keith, and Katherine Burger, seven grandchildren, and one greatgrandchild. He was a member of Temple Beth Miriam and was a past president of its Mens Club. He was a regular attendee at class reunions. His classmates will miss his cheerful presence and extend their warm sympathy to his wife and family.
The Class of 1928

Albert G. Isaacs Jr. '29
Nep died Aug. 20, 1996, at his home in Waverly, Pa. He prepared for college at Treat School and Lawrenceville. At Princeton he was in Charter Club, and his roommates were Johnnie Gore and George Schulz. He received an MBA at Harvard and started work with some coal companies. He became secretary of the Standard Grate Bar Co. and v.p. of the Weatherly Steel Co. He was also on the boards of the Sprague & Harwood Co., the Johnson Technical Institute, and a number of other business and civic organizations. He was secretary of the Scranton YMCA and belonged to several country clubs in Pennsylvania and Florida. In 1932 he married Constance Sprague Osborne and after her death married Marion Margery Scranton, who is also deceased. He is survived by a daughter, Elizabeth Sprague Cooper, to whom the class extends sincere sympathy.
The Class of 1929

Tracy Harrison Logan '29
Trace died Sept. 26, 1996. He was born in Hunan Province in China, and prepared for college at Kuling School and Hotchkiss. At Princeton he was a top soccer player and v.p. of the Westminster Society. He belonged to Key and Seal.
After Princeton he taught for a few years in Korea and Shanghai, returning to the U.S. in 1938 and settled in Massapequa, L.I., where he was controller of the South Oaks Hospital until he retired in 1972. He was also the creative founder of the Broadlawn Manor Nursing Care Center. He was district clerk of the Massapequa School District during the time of it's greatest expansion, and he was a founding member of the Southeast Nassau Guidance Center, and also on the board of the DeLancyJones Library and an active member of Grace Church. He married Margaret Lowe in 1933 (deceased) and their children are Tracy H. Jr., John L., Elsa, and Margaret Jean. In 1984 he married Vivian Farrell, a distinguished monologist, for whom Trace was stage manager. The class extends sincere sympathy to Trace's family.
The Class of 1929
Thomas Warren Willard '29
Tom died Oct. 13, 1996. He prepared for college at the Barnard School for Boys, and at Princeton he roomed with Bill Miller.
A couple of years after graduation Tom embarked upon his life career as a cinematographer. He taught himself photography and in 1932 founded Willard Pictures. He was one of the first to use 16-mm. film commercially, and was also one of the earlier users of color for commercial films. He made more than 300 films for the Navy during the war, including the famous Castaway about survival on a life raft. Through the years he made hundreds of films for educational, training, and documentary projects including some for the Navy, Air Force, NASA, United Fruit, Cunard Line, Greek Tourist Board, and American U. in Beirut.
But we in '29 will be forgiven for thinking first and foremost about Tom's wonderful contributions to the class through his tireless photographing of reunions and other class functions. He belonged to many professional associations, including the American Science Film Assn. and the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers. He was also a consultant of the American Management Assn.
In 1943 Tom married Mary Ann Prettyman, and she survives, as well as their daughters, Tamsin and Anne. The class extends sincere sympathy to them.
The Class of 1929

Arthur D. Keown '32
Having taken a road less traveled, Arthur Keown died Oct. 6 at the Medical Center of Central Massachusetts after a short illness as a result of a stroke.
Arthur devoted his entire life after college to the business of raising and selling fruit. He wrote in our 50th-year book that he had had a great life raising apples and enjoying good health and country living. For 50 years he owned and operated Keown Orchards. As a leader in the area of fruit growing, Arthur naturally became an officer of the Worcester County Horticultural Society, a director of the Worcester County Farm Bureau, and a director of the County Conservation Commission. In his hometown of Sutton, Mass., he served on the town's finance committee and was a member of its Historical Society. He was a 32nd degree Mason and served on many committees of the United Methodist Church in Worcester.
Arthur's wife of 50 years, Astrid, died in 1992. He leaves a son, Arthur Jr., a daughter, Jane K. Oliver, five grandchildren, and a greatgrandchild. The class mourns with them the loss of this outstanding citizen.
The Class of 1932

Jay E. Morehouse '32
After a long struggle with cancer, Jay Morehouse died at his home in Pomperang Woods in Salisbury, Conn., on July 22, 1996. He and his wife, Marie, had just celebrated their 60th anniversary.
Upon graduation, Jay went into the marketing end of the oil business. For 30 years he worked with the Shell Oil Co., mainly in marketing and personnel, and as administrative assistant to regional v.p.s. During WWII, he was in the Army Air Force from 194246, ending up as group adjutant of the 47th bomb group, and upon separation he was appointed major.
Jay was a loyal Princetonian and classmate, and in spite of ill health he made it to our 60th reunion.
Besides his wife, Jay leaves a daughter, Barbara, a granddaughter, and a grandson, to all of whom the class expresses its deep sympathy.
The Class of 1932

Edward Preston Scherer '32
Ed Scherer died July 24, 1996, a victim of Alzheimer's disease.
After Princeton, Ed spent most of his life at Delray Beach, Fla. In 1935 he married Mildred Schoen. With a mutual interest in resorts, they built Coral Cove Apartments in 1938, the first apartment building on the beach. A large part of Ed's life thereafter centered on the beach in Delray, where he spent much of his time surfing, fishing, and water skiing. He also traveled extensively with his family in Europe and often skied in Switzerland and in Colorado.
Ed is survived by his wife, to whom he was married for over 60 years; his son, Dr. Charles King Scherer, his daughters Elaine Shand and Elizabeth Stevick, and six grandchildren. To all of them, the class extends its sincere condolences.
The Class of 1932

Robert Whitsett van de Velde '33 *54
Bob van de Velde died Sept. 17,1996 in Cornwall, Vt. He was 84.
Bob was born in Geneva, Switzerland, and grew up in Madison, N.J. He came to Princeton from Madison H.S.
In 1935 he went on active duty with the Army and was assigned to the Civilian Conservation Corps. He received a regular army commission in 1936 and remained in the Army for 20 years.
He was an aide de camp to the commander of the 25th Division at the time the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He served in the Mediterranean theater and participated in the invasions of Sicily and Italy.
After serving as military attaché in Athens and in Israel he returned to Princeton and entered the Woodrow Wilson School, earning a PhD in politics. He then served in the Office of the Chief of Special Warfare and as the head of the PSYWAR section of the European Command. He returned to the Woodrow Wilson School as a lecturer in public and international affairs. He retired in 1978 with the rank of professor. On retirement he and his wife, the late Barbara Gray, moved to Middlebury, Vt. There for years, he wrote columns for the Village Voice, a local newspaper
He is survived by his second wife, Deanne Wolff van de Velde, sons Christopher and Murray, and two granddaughters.
The Class of 1933

Charles Dusenberry M.D. '34
Charlie Dusenberry, who retired in 1983 from the practice of pediatrics, died in Portland, Maine, of heart failure on Oct. 29, 1996, one day shy of his 84th birthday. He had a summer home in East Boothbay.
In 1964 Charlie was one of a small group of physicians who served without pay on the teachingtraining hospital ship SS Hope in Ecuador and later in Colombia. A native New Yorker, he attended N.Y. Medical College. He interned at the U.S. Marine Hospital in Staten Island and was a resident physician at the Metropolitan Hospital in NYC. He was a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and a Licentiate of the American Board of Pediatrics.
During WWII, Charlie served (194346) with the Coast Guard, most of the time on active duty as a ship's physician on North Atlantic Weather Patrol. He received two personal commendations for doing emergency operations at sea.
Since 1965 Charlie and his wife, Jane (Lewis), made their home in California, and since 1990 they have summered in Maine. She is the sister of Burt Lewis, who died in 1967. Surviving besides Jane, whom Charlie married in 1940, are a daughter, Charlotte (Mrs. Russell) Lesser; two sons, John and Michael '68, and 10 grandchildren. To them we offer our sincere sympathies.
The Class of 1934

Charles Henry Goodsell '36
Charles died Apr. 1, 1996. He was 82.
He prepared at Hotchkiss, and at Princeton he majored in English, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his senior year, and was a member of Terrace Club. In 1940 he graduated from Harvard Medical School and interned at NYC's Lenox Hill Hospital.
During WWII, he served three and a half years in the Army Medical Corps doing duty in England, the Philippines, and Korea. His rank was that of captain.
After the war he practiced internal medicine and was associated with Lenox Hill Hospital for over 45 years. He also practiced at N.Y. Hospital, the City Hospital Center in Elmhust, N.Y., and he also taught at the Cornell Medical School. He retired in 1984.
His son, Kenneth, offers the following: "Though possessed of sharp intellect, wit, and ever-broadening knowledge, Dad was able to listen to others without judgment and look at things as though learning about them for the first time. These qualities served him well as a physician, and as a husband and father. He was my mother's and my best friend."
Charles is survived by his wife, Nelly Fernandes deCordoba Goodsell, and his son, Kenneth C. His brother, Robert T. '38 died in 1941.
This classmate, a man of good will who lived a productive life will be remembered.
The Class of 1936

Colebert Leroy Andrus '37
Colby (or Andy or Roy as we called him) Andrus died Oct. 6, 1996, crippled by asthma. He married his wife, Jane, in 1940 and leaves sons Colby Jr. and James, daughter Mary, three grandchildren, two step-grandchildren, two step-great-grandchildren, as well as brothers John and Stephen.
Colby came to Princeton from Hun, where he was a member of the crew and was athletic manager. He majored in history before leaving in junior year to attend the U. of Minnesota.
He worked first for Harrison Smith, a Minneapolis printing firm. He then bought the Nash Conley Book Shop, also in Minneapolis, which he ran with Jane from 1942-51, selling and printing books.
By 1951 he was a manufacturer of fuel-oil additives and phenolic resins, with the American Additive Co., and by 1957 he was with Androc Chemical Co., still in Minneapolis, manufacturing wood preservatives. He was also a silent partner in the sporting goods field. His final business was his Omni Travel in Deephaven, Minn. By 1987 he was semiretired, leaving the running of the business to his son James.
He was a member of the Glenvue Badminton & Sporting Club, and, for Jane's benefit, he enjoyed cooking as a hobby.
The Class of 1937

James Pray Baker '47
Porky Baker died Sept. 21, 1996. He had lived in Warrenton, Va., since 1957. At Princeton he majored in biology. Upon graduating in 1949, he entered NYU's College of Medicine, earning his MD in 1949. During the Korean War he was called into service as a Navy doctor "on loan" to the Army and assigned to the 999th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. Under constant enemy fire, his unit evacuated wounded soldiers from combat zones.
After his release from the Navy, Porky began his residency in surgery at the U. of Virginia Hospital. In 1956 he received an MS in surgery from the UVA, and in 1967 he was made a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He enjoyed a busy career, which included work in pain control and the medical problems of the elderly. He was a general partner in the Warrenton Nursing Home Limited Partnership and chairman of the board of Ecosystems Research Corp. He also conducted seminars in drug education and practiced sports medicine for local schools.
He found time to indulge his enthusiasm for foxhunting and recreational riding, horse shows, and steeplechase race meets.
In 1947 Porky married Barbara Reynolds. To her and to their children, Lundy Updike, Susan Baker, Sarah Muncy, and James Jr., the class extends its profound sympathy.
The Class of 1947

Sally Swift Faunce h'47
Sally Swift Faunce, our honorary classmate, died peacefully in her home in Rye, N.Y., Aug. 28, 1996. Sally was an unusually attractive and charming person and very popular with our classmates. She was the widow of George Faunce, past president of the class and one of its all-time greats.
She was a graduate of the Madiera School and attended Vassar prior to marrying George in 1949. Over the years she was active in various organizations in Rye, but it was as a homemaker and devoted and concerned wife and mother that Sally shone. Full of good humor, she was clearly the beacon under which George and their children flourished happily for so long.
Sally is survived by her two children, Theodore S. '73 and Rebecca McDermott, and five grandchildren, to all of whom the class wishes to express its deepest sympathy.
The Class of 1947

William Floyd Agee '48
Bill Agee died at home in Huntington, W.Va., Oct. 10, 1996, after a long bout with cancer.
A lifelong resident of Huntington, Bill joined us by way of Kentucky Military Institute. At Princeton he majored in English and was active in the Westminster Group, Orange Key, and the Athletic Council. He was in Quadrangle. After graduation he headed for the back woods of Kentucky and the lumber business. This caper was ended by the Korean War and the Air Force. It was at this time he met Pat Parker; they were married in 1953 and were blessed with four daughters.
Bill returned to Huntington in the real estate business and later after the Banking School at Northwestern at Bank One. He retired in 1992 as senior v.p. and trust officer.
Bill was an elder and trustee of the First Presbyterian Church. All his life he was active in civic affairs. He served as president of the Huntington Museum of Art, the Marshall U. Foundation and the YMCA. His board membership, both business and charitable, were extensive.
The great love of Bill's life was Pat and daughters Anne, Susan, Tricia, and Amy. To them the class offers its deepest sympathy and shares in their loss. Bill is survived as well by his brother Robert '51.
The Class of 1948

John R. Groome '51
John died July 7, 1996, at his home in Newton, N.J. He prepped at Blair Academy. At Princeton he was an economics major and a member of Tiger Inn and JV football. He roomed with Hollie Donan, Chuck Weeden, Dave Van Vleck, John Titman, Will Prior and Allan Clark.
In 1953 John earned a master's in business administration from NYU. He was a financial analyst with Union Camp Corp., an economist at Prudential Insurance, and an officer and research director at Schroeder Naess & Thomas and U.S. Trust Co. in NYC. While at U.S. Trust, John was frequently interviewed by the Wall St. Journal, NY Times, Business Week, and WCBS Radio.
John is survived by sons John B. and James, and by daughter Joan. The class sends them its condolences.
The Class of 1951