Memorials: March 19, 1997

Marshall L. Posey '27
Marshall L. "Mitch" Posey died of heart failure Jan. 23, 1997, at Meadow Lakes in Hightstown, N.J. He was '27's assistant treasurer and served on its executive committee. From 193742, he was '27's treasurer.
Mitch came to us from Andover and at Princeton was a member of the freshman track team, varsity track squad, Tower Club, and served as associate photographic editor of the Princetonian. He roomed in Holder Hall with John Ely.
Upon graduation he worked in NYC with C. F. Noyes Co., real estate brokers, and Whitehouse & Co., stockbrokers. In 1939 he joined the Royal Crown Bottle Co., of Trenton, becoming its president.
From 1933-68 he lived in Short Hills, N.J., in a house he designed. He spent summers on Fishers Island, N.Y. Mitch retired in 1947 to pursue two hobbies, photography and the study of architectural history, especially old houses in the 13 colonial states. He moved to Princeton in 1968 and to Meadow Lakes in 1987, when he developed coronary problems
He married Alice Littlefield in 1933. She died in 1966. In 1968 Mitch married Suzanne Thompson, widow of John Thompson '26. Mitch is survived by Suzanne, his children, Marshall and Ann, six grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren.
The class extends its sympathy to them in the loss of a genial classmate.
The Class of 1927

Thomas Cover III '28
Tom Cover died Aug. 5, 1996, at the Blakehurst Retirement Community in Towson, Md. He spent his early years in Winchester, Va., and attended Gilman Country School. At Princeton he majored in modern languages, was on the varsity soccer team and a member of Cap and Gown. In 1930 he married Olive Ann Brown, and they had two sons, Thomas IV and E. McIntosh '55. Olive died in 1959, and he later married Anne Crockett, who survives him. He lived in the vicinity of Baltimore all his adult life.
Tom was president of Sanitary Laundry Co., which he sold in the late 1960s, and also president of InstoGas, a family-owned manufacturer of gas products based in Detroit. He retired in the late 1960s.
He was a member of the Elkridge Club, the Maryland Club, and the Green Valley Hunt Club. His hobbies were golf, tennis, and hunting. His brother Nelson '33 predeceased him, as did his brother Loring '21. He leaves four grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
Tom was always a supportive Princetonian; he attended several reunions and many football games. The class extends its sympathy to his wife and family.
The Class of 1928

David Lyle Thoburn '28
Lyle Thoburn died Aug. 14, 1996, having suffered from Alzheimer's for several years.
He attended Pittsburgh's Peabody H.S. and came to Princeton on a scholarship from the Princeton Alumni Assn. of Pittsburgh. He majored in English and French, played basketball and lacrosse, sang in the choir, and was a member of Elm Club.
He lived all his adult life in the Cleveland area. In 1932 he married Winifred M. Horton. They had two sons and five grandchildren. Winifred died in 1966; in 1968 he married Eleanor H. Towell.
He worked in the family-owned company, Bowman Products, where he was v.p. and later, president. When the company was sold to Associated Spring Corp., he served on its board. He retired in 1968.
During WWII, he served in the Army Air Corps first as a captain; he was discharged as a lieutenant colonel in 1946. Lyle's passion was collecting military miniatures, military arms, uniforms, and equipment, a hobby he began in 1914. At its peak, his collection numbered 11,000 pieces and was recognized as outstanding both in the U.S. and abroad. The collection is now on display at the Geauga County Historical Society in Burton, Ohio.
His son Thomas, in writing of his father's death, said: "Father had very fond feelings toward Princeton and the education he received there." The class expresses its sympathy to his wife and family.
The Class of 1928

Alexis Felix du Pont Jr. '29
Felix died Dec. 30, 1996.
His long aviation career started with his first airplane ride in 1918 and first solo flight in 1927. He graduated from the Air Corps Flying School in 1928 and became a Fokker test pilot in 1930, then a dispatcher for Ludding. He worked for the du Pont company (founded by his greatgrandfather) for five years and was briefly in the investment business. With his brother Richard he founded AllAmerican Airlines, which became Allegheny Airlines and eventually U.S. Air. He was v.p. of Piasecki Helicopter Co. and treasurer of Christiana Securities.
During WWII, he served in New Guinea and the Philippines, receiving five battle stars. He retired as lieutenant colonel. He continued to pilot airplanes until he was 88.
In the 1994 Forbes magazine listing of the richest Americans, Felix was #257. His family said that his greatest joy in life was being a trustee of St. Andrew's School, founded by his father. He was also on many charitable and civic boards.
Felix's first wife was Eleanor Hoyt. In 1974 he married Marka Truesdale; she died in 1993. He is survived by his children, Katharine Gahagan, Michael H., and Christopher T., and his stepdaughters, Louise Loeming and Priscilla Hanford. The class extends sincere sympathy to Felix's family.
The Class of 1929

Donald Newton Wilber '29 *49
Don died Feb. 2, 1997, in Princeton, N.J. His school was New Trier H.S. At Princeton he played freshman soccer and was on the board of the Prince. He received MFA and PhD degrees in architecture from Princeton.
He had a busy and productive career as artist, architect, archeologist, historian, and specialist in the Middle East and Asia. His institutional connections included Oriental Institute of Chicago, Institute for Advanced Study, Johns Hopkins U., and the Asia Institute of New York. He was a leading figure in the Princeton Rug Society and Princeton Middle East Society. He was chair of the Iran Foundation of New York. Don was founder and chair of the Color Slides Cooperative, which supplied slides of art objects to universities and museums. With his first wife, Peg (also an architect), he conducted tours around the world. During WWII, Don was with the OSS. He joined the CIA, where he served from 1948-70. Don's celebrity as archeologist and scholarly author gave him a perfect cover.
In 1939 Don married Margaret Patterson Surre, and she survives, as well as their two daughters, Sara Wilber Cohen and Margaret Newton Wilber. The class extends sincere sympathy to Don's family.
The Class of 1929

John Haines Livingston French '30
John French died May 4, 1995, in Hudson, Ohio, shortly after he had moved from Florida to stay with his daughter, Caroline.
He came to Princeton from Biloxi, Miss. He prepared at Mercersburg. He moved to Cuba, where he worked for B. F. Goodrich. He then went to Mexico, where he worked for Alcoa. He started a chain of shops, Tropicream, in Cuba, and expanded to Miami and eventually to Caracas, Venezuela, where Tropicream became Tropiburger. He lived in Venezuela for 12 years, later moving to Puerto Rico.
He married Helen Eckles in 1929. They divorced in 1955, and he married Kathryn Wroe in 1956. She died in 1994. We extend to his family our deepest sympathy.
The Class of 1930

Norman Bridge Roberg '30
Norm died Jan. 8, 1997, in Rome, Italy, two weeks after the death of his wife, Elena.
Born in Chicago, he prepared at Lake Forest Academy. At Princeton he was a member of Arbor Inn. In 1934 he graduated from Harvard Medical School. He married Italianborn Elena de Laurentis in 1937. During WWII, he served as a major as chief of medical services of the Army Medical Corps attached to the Air Force.
He had an outstanding career as professor of medicine at the U. of Illinois. Complicated back surgery forced his retirement in 1967, and he and his wife moved to Italy, where they divided their time between rural Umbria and Rome.
He is survived by his brother Ted Roberg MD '37. To Ted and his family, we extend our deep sympathy.
The Class of 1930

Leonard K. Firestone '31
Leonard Firestone died at home in Pebble Beach, Calif., Dec. 24, 1996, of respiratory failure. He was 89.
At The Hill School, where he prepared, and at Princeton, he was active in golf and polo. Upon graduation he was employed in sales positions by Firestone Tire & Rubber Co., founded by his father in Akron, Ohio. In 1932, he married Polly Curtis, by whom he had three children. Polly died in 1965. In 1935, Len was appointed sales manager and in 1939 became a director of Firestone. He was named president of Firestone Aviation Products Co. in 1941. He was commissioned in the Navy as a lieutenant, but was assigned to inactive status to become president of Firestone Tire & Rubber Co. of California in 1943.
Leonard was appointed U.S. ambassador to Belgium by Pres. Nixon and was reappointed by Pres. Ford. He was a generous contributor to charities and served as president of the trustees of the U. of Southern California and president of the World Affairs Council of L.A. He was a board member of several organizations.
He is survived by his second wife, Caroline Hudson Firestone, his sons, A. Brooks '58 (now a member of the California State Assembly) and Kimball, a daughter, Lendy Brown, 10 grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren. To them, the class extends its condolences.
The Class of 1931
Robert Foote Griggs Jr. '31
Robert F. Griggs Jr. died Dec. 8, 1996, in the Old Saybrook Convalescent Hospital in Old Saybrook, Conn. He was 88.
He prepared at the Taft School. He left Princeton at the end of our sophomore year to join R. F. Griggs Co., of Waterbury, Conn., which he served as a director and officer He later became purchasing agent for Naugatuck Glass Co., and a director of Clark Bros. Bolt Co.
In 1933 Bob married Anne Tranker, also of Waterbury, and they celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary on Sept. 1, 1996. Anne died a week later, and Bob passed away three months thereafter. Their family arranged a memorial service honoring them both at Church of the Epiphany in Southbury on Dec. 14. They lived an oldfashioned love story!
Bob is survived by two daughters, Nancy G. Razee and Caroline Hyman, seven grandchildren, and six greatgrandchildren. A third daughter, Julie G. Pfeffer, died in 1985. The class extends its condolences to his family.
The Class of 1931

Eugene G. Grace Jr. '37
Stalwart Princetonian and at one time Philadelphia's most eligible bachelor, Gene Grace died Jan. 8, 1997, of heart failure. He is survived by Bobby, his wife of 48 years, three daughters, four granddaughters, one grandson, and one great-granddaughter.
Gene served our class as president (194752), chairman of the memorial fund, a member of the $53 million special gifts committee, and as treasurer of The Hill '33 Club (1953).
At The Hill, he was involved in soccer, track, choir, the Press Club, the Glee Club, and Comedessanger Club. At Princeton, he majored in history, earning second group honors, and he participated in soccer and track, and was a member of Cap and Gown.
At our fifth reunion, Gene engaged in a pole vaulthammer throw track meet, 1 inch pole vault to equal 1 foot hammer throw. One classmate did 12 ft. 6 in. and was so elated he measured the hammer from the front instead of the back. He lost to Gene, by that margin.
Gene volunteered for the Marines as a private first class and served a long term of duty in the Pacific before being discharged as a first lieutenant and returning to Heintz Manufacturing Co., where he had been head of priority work. By 1955 he was v.p. in charge of manufacturing. Heintz was sold in 1959, and Gene became chairman of the board of Ashbridge Corp. He served on the boards of many civic and sporting associations.
The Class of 1937

Henry G. Canda Jr. '43
Hank died Jan. 24, 1997. He was 75.
A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., his WWII military service was with an Army artillery division. Hank's business career gravitated around C. T. Corporation Systems, a company that provides legal service in New York. Hank worked in the area of corporate sales and customer relations.
Once married, he is survived by a daughter, Carol Clark, chairperson of the art history department at Amherst College in Massachusetts; two stepchildren, Marilyn Broderick and Charles Webb. There are six step-grandchildren as well. Hank is also survived by his companion of many years, Theresa D. Martin.
Hank's closest buddies over the past several years were classmates Bob Hulburd and Bud Sweney, who lived nearby. Perhaps Bud summed up Hank's life and times best when he wrote: "A guy who never stopped smiling, never stopped looking ahead, never said a bad word about anyone, never griped about his physical situation. Hank was truly an inspiration and a damn good friend."
We offer our most heartfelt sympathies to the remaining survivors.
The Class of 1943
Andrew Harpham Newman '47
After a brief illness, Andy Newman died Sept. 30, 1996, in Urbana, Ill., where he had lived since 1968. He had served as rector of the Urbana Church of the Epiphany until he retired in 1988.
He entered Princeton in the summer of 1943, but soon left for military service, which took him to both the European and Pacific theaters in a combat unit of the Army Medical Corps. Returning to Princeton, he majored in history and graduated in 1947.
His military experiences and his study of history gave him a taste for travel. He exercised this by going to work for the State Dept., which sent him to Bangkok. Following his stay there, he was assigned to State's far eastern desk in Washington. Later he returned to Thailand in a position with the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co.
Andy left Goodyear to study at the Episcopal Theological Seminary in Cambridge, Mass. In 1965 he was ordained a priest in the Episcopal Church. After service in Toledo, Bellbrook, and Dayton, Ohio, he was called to Urbana. During his years there, he took a leading role in many publicservice organizations, including the Champaign County Arts Council, the county Ministerial Assn., and Planned Parenthood. His was an exemplary life.
In 1965 Andy married Marcie Allen, who survives him. To her, the class extends its profound sympathy.
The Class of 1947

S. Morey Bell '51
Morey died Oct. 24, 1996, in Fairfax, Va., of cancer. He was a retired Foreign Service officer and career minister who was also an artist of note.
Morey was a Woodrow Wilson School major, a member of Charter Club and Theatre Intime. He joined the Foreign Service after graduation and subsequently received a master's in economics from UC-Berkeley. He served the State Dept. in posts in Spain, Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Guatemala, Jamaica, and the Netherlands. His most public role, however, was that of deputy chief U.S. negotiator and major drafter of the 1973 treaty that turned the Panama Canal over to the Panamanians.
In 1982 Morey retired to Marathon Key, Fla., and established a reputation for his collage and mixed media artwork.
Morey's wife, Marian, died in 1977. He is survived by his daughter, Anne, and her children, Jennifer, Christopher, and Richard. The class extends its sympathy to them on the death of one of our country's most dedicated servants.
The Class of 1951

Thomas C. H. Webster '55
Thomas C. H. Webster died at his farm at St. Thomas, Pa., Jan. 15, 1997, after a brave struggle against cancer. He was 63.
Tom came to us from Mercersburg Academy. At Princeton, he captained the 150 lb. crew, was editor of the Tiger, and a member of Colonial Club. After graduation, he married Deborah de Land Cobb of NYC and served two years in the Army Field Artillery, leaving as a first lieutenant. After leaving the army, he returned to St. Thomas to farm, but later became assistant director of the National Parks and Conservation Assn. in Washington, D.C.
From 1968-71, he was director of the Pennsylvania Governor's Council on Natural Resources. In 1969 he divorced Deborah; he married Marillyn Raynal in 1970. In 1971 Pres. Nixon named him U.S. Commissioner of the Susquehanna River Basin, a post he held until 1977, when returned to the St. Thomas farm. He and Marillyn became the largest breeders of Cleveland Bay horses in North America.
Tom is survived by Marillyn and their sons, Hunter and Chauncey W., and by two daughters from his first marriage, Mrs. Julia Barclay and Virginia. To them, the class extends its sympathy in the loss of a colorful sportsman, who was happiest when he was hunting or fishing.
The Class of 1955