Memorials - September 9, 1998

Donald Graves Fudge '25 *27

Don Fudge was born in Elmira, N.Y., Aug. 9, 1904, and died there Dec. 16, 1997. He prepared at Elmira Academy. At Princeton he was on the track squad and was a member of Tiger Inn. He graduated with highest honors in architecture, and earned his master's at Princeton Graduate College in 1927. He practiced in NYC for several years, opening his own office in Elmira in 1935. He designed many schools, office buildings, and homes in the southern tier of New York state, retiring in 1983.

He was a loyal and active member of the class. He was a member of Kiwanis and the Architects Institution of America and was a vestryman in the Elmira Episcopal Church.

He was predeceased by his brother, Russell '23, and is survived by his wife of 49 years, Rita, daughters Linda Kenney and Lisa Frichey, two grandchildren, and sister Marjory Smith.

The Class of 1925

Gus Lobo Jr. '26

Gus Lobo, a well-known figure for more than 57 years in the commodities markets, died Dec. 28, 1997, in Andrus Retirement Community at Hastings on Hudson, N.Y. Gus was a member of the major NYC and Chicago commodities exchanges and was president of the New York Sugar Exchange from 1954-56.

In 1932 Gus married Vera Hinchy, who died in 1988. Gus left Princeton after our sophomore year to pursue at MIT the BS degree, which he received in 1927. He remained a loyal member of the class evidenced by his support of Annual Giving for 46 years. Gus and Vera are survived by a daughter, Patricia Lobo Aitcheson, four grandchildren, and a great-grandchild, to all of whom we extend our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1926

Howard Bruce Vail '26

Howard Bruce Vail died Jan. 30, 1998, in Boca Raton, Fla.

Following our graduation and a summer trip to Spain, Howard returned to Princeton to teach Spanish for one year. He also entered Yale Law School and ultimately became legal secretary for the Board of Foreign Missions for the United Presbyterian Church -- a job he held and loved for over 25 years. During WWII, Howard served in the Army Air Corps as a major and afterward worked for the United Nations in West Germany as the legal and immigration representative.

Howard married Elma Avery in 1934 and after several years as a widower married Alta Guttridge Shincel in 1983. He had a lifelong love of sports, spoke several languages fluently, and was a devout Christian. Our profound sympathy goes out to Alta and their daughter, Patricia, and to those many friends who were so fond of our classmate.

The Class of 1926

R. Park Johnson '28 *41

Dr. R. Park Johnson, secretary of the Class of '28 for the past 23 years, died June 14, 1998. During that time he filed 17 columns in the paw every year, served on the class executive committee, and was one of the class's important leaders. He is survived by his wife, Alice, four children, eight grandchildren, and five greatgrandchildren.

Park's career was varied and illustrious. After he received his BA, he earned a BD from the Princeton Theological Seminary in 1932, a PhD in Near Eastern Studies from Princeton in 1941, and a DD from Hanover College in 1943. He served as pastor in Yeadon, Pa., in Kansas City, Mo., and taught in Alborz College in Tehran. From 195072 he was the field representative of the Commission on Ecumenical Mission and Relations of the United Presbyterian Church (USA) in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Iran, and Pakistan. He also served the Reformed Church in America's missions in the Persian Gulf, Iraq, and the United Church of Christ's missions in Syria and Iraq.

After retiring in 1972 to Princeton, N.J., he was consultant for the Presbyterian Program Agency in NYC, then spent a year as a mission counselor in Nepal and served in the NYC office of the Vellore Christian Medical College in India.

The class will miss Park, and we send our deepest sympathies to all his fine family.

The Class of 1928

Endsley Fairman '30

Endsley Fairman died May 22, 1998, at the Brandywine Hospital as a result of injuries received in an automobile accident.

Born on Oct. 9, 1908, in Johnstown, Pa., he prepared at Chestnut Hill Academy. At Princeton, he was active in football and track, a member of Colonial, and graduated magna cum laude in economics. During WWII, he served in Europe for three years with the 8th Air Force as deputy chief of staff for Generals Curtis Le May and Donald Partridge and was awarded six Battle Stars, the Bronze Star, and the French Croix de Guerre.

He retired as senior v.p. of the Bank of Wilmington in 1973 and served as a director of the bank until his death. He was executive director of the Longwood Foundation from 1973-88. Endsley was also a champion badminton player in Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New England.

He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Marie, three daughters, Gail Cook, Elaine Lincoln, and Joan Gummey, seven grandchildren, and a great-granddaughter. To all of them the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1930

Charles F. Nesslage '30

Charles died Feb. 1, 1998. Born in Union City, N.J., on June 23, 1909, he prepared at the Mt. Hermon School in Massachusetts. At Princeton, he was awarded scholarships and was active in student engineering organizations. President of the Gateway Club, he graduated with high honors in electrical engineering.

After graduation, he joined RCA as a development engineer, designing many receiving tubes and ultimately heading up the then-top secret Radar Tube Unit during the war. An avid radio amateur, he spent summers at the Jersey Shore and many winters in Florida.

In 1930 he married Marion McConahy. Charles is survived by four children, Mrs. Allen Stoneback, Arthur L., Donald J., and Jeanne Reilly, as well as nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. To his family we send our most sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1930

Warren Sanford Stone '30

Warren Stone died Jan. 18, 1997. He was born Jan. 8, 1908, in Cuba. He prepared at Westminster School and belonged to Elm.

In 1935 he married Margaret South. An active successful insurance agent, he was elected as a life member of the Million Dollar Round Table in 1951. During WWII and Korea, he served at Bolling Air Force Base and at the Pentagon as a reservist. Since his retirement in 1968 he lived an active life of boating on the Chesapeake Bay and travel.

His daughter Nancy A. Nelson (Cornell '59) has two daughters and two sons. His son Warren S. III has two daughters. To all his family the class extends sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1930

Standiford Helm '31

Dr. Standiford Helm died at the Evanston [Ill.] Hospital, Mar. 28, 1998. He was 88. Born in Exeter, N.H., Stan prepped for Princeton at Phillips Exeter Academy. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Princeton and then earned his MD in 1936 from Northwestern U. Medical School, Alpha Omega Alpha. He continued and completed graduate training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and joined the Army Medical Corps, in which he served from 1939-45. Stan became a major and was stationed at various posts in the South Pacific.

In 1945, honorably discharged, he returned to Evanston and practiced internal medicine there until his retirement. Stan was twice married, once divorced, once a widower, and was unmarried at the time of his death. He is survived by his sons James and Standiford II, his daughters Margaretta Withers and Isabel Struc, 12 grandchildren, and a sister, Marjorie Helm Swigert. The class joins his survivors in mourning the death of this devoted doctor.

The Class of 1931

Horace Robert Toy '31

Horace Robert Toy died Apr. 26, 1998, in Sarasota, Fla., leaving his wife of 57 years, Bobbie, his children Leontine, Christopher, Peter, and Thomas, seven grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. He was 87.

Horace majored in modern languages and literature, and on graduation joined Roger Kent, where he became assistant advertising manager. In 1943 he entered the Navy and served in the Pacific, assigned to fighter direction in C.I.C aboard the U.S.S. Wisconsin. He earned several theater ribbons and five Silver Stars and was discharged in 1945 as a lieutenant. Upon his return, he resumed his career and finally ended up, many years later, self-employed in textile sales.

Horace lived many places, including NYC, various sections of Long Island, and Rumson, N.J. The cold weather disenchanted him, so he fled to Southport, N.C., for several years, and finally to Bradenton, Fla. His son Christopher summarized his character: ≥My father was a quietly brilliant man who left us a legacy of dignity and moral cognition that I believe has served all his children well. We miss him.≤ The class extends its sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931

William Watt Blanton '32

Bill Blanton died June 10, 1998, at his home in Albany, Tex. After graduating magna cum laude with an AB in archeology, Bill attended the U. of Texas Law School, practiced law, and served as Shackelford County judge.

During WWII, he served in the Army Counter-Intelligence Corps as a special agent in India and Burma. Following the war, he practiced law in Odessa for 20 years and then ranched in eastern Colorado for 30 years, raising Charloais cattle. Although we had not heard much from Bill in recent years, his daughter has written that he spoke of many fond memories of his time with us.

He is survived by Minnie, his wife of 52 years, three children, Tom, Liz Green, and Mary Crist, and eight grandchildren. The class offers its sincere condolences to all his family.

The Class of 1932

William B. Hewson '33

William B. Hewson died June 5, 1998, at the U. of Pennsylvania Hospital of complications following a ruptured aorta. He prepared at the Morristown [N.J.] School and Maison Sillig in Vevey, Switzerland.

In 1933 Bill joined the Brooklyn Union Gas Co. (now Keyspan) and retired as v.p. in 1963. He then was administrative v.p. of the Community Blood Council of Greater New York and later associate director of development, leadership gifts, for Alumni Development of Princeton.

Bill was a member of the Princeton Club of New York for over 50 years, a friend of the Princeton Chapel, of Princeton football, basketball, and lacrosse, a treasurer of the Princeton Alumni Council Regional Assn. of Southern New Jersey, and a president of the Princeton Alumni Assn. of Nantucket Island. His other clubs included Colonial Club, the Nantucket Yacht Club, the Somerset Hills Golf Club, the Morristown Club, the Princeton Gun Club, the Springdale Golf Club, and the Nassau Club, where he was treasurer, v.p., and president.

Bill leaves his wife, Barbara, son William B. Jr. '57, daughter Barbara '73 and her husband, Dr. Charles Marboe '71, daughter Jane '77, 13 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. A memorial service will be held at the Princeton Chapel on Mon., Sept. 14, 1998.

The Class of 1933

Carlisle Moore '33 *40

Carl died Feb. 1, 1998, as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident. He was a specialist in Victorian and modern literature at the U. of Oregon, where he taught for 31 years, retiring as professor, emeritus, of English in 1977.

Carl received BA, MA, and PhD degrees from Princeton, following which he taught at Cornell and Eastern Michigan Universities. He served in the Mediterranean and Pacific theaters in the Naval Reserve from 1942-46.

In 1942 he married Barbara Kirby, who died in 1996. He and his wife endowed the Barbara and Carlisle Moore Distinguished Professorship in English at the U. of Oregon in 1983. In addition to this benefaction, they gave their home to the university.

Although very much involved in academic activities, Carl enjoyed classical music, writing, poetry, reading, playing bridge, photography, and travel. He was a member of the Round Table.

He is survived by a son, Stephen, two daughters, Barbara and Ann Maxwell, and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1933

Kelvin Morgan Fox '35

Kel Fox, rancher, conservationist, governmental-affairs activist, and writer, died May 11, 1998, of heart failure. He was 85. He and his wife, Patty, lived in Munds Park, Ariz.

Kel prepared at Asheville School and graduated with honors in history. He was in the Press Club, founded the Princeton Calendar, played freshman hockey, and joined Charter.

After graduation Kel operated the Fox summer camp for boys, near Flagstaff. He then was a reader in the State Senate and executive secretary to the governor. During WWII, he worked in the OWI in Washington and San Francisco. He was a member of the Coast Guard Reserve. After the war Kel returned to the ranch; he then was elected twice to the Arizona House of Representatives and to two terms in the State Senate.

Following his legislative service, he resumed life on the ranch. The governor appointed him chairman of the State Water Commission. He was on the State Land Dept.'s board of appeals and was a consultant to that agency. Kel was active in the state cattlegrowers' association and the soil conservation service. He received an honorary doctor of science degree from the U. of Arizona.

In addition to Patty, he is survived by sons Geoffrey and Grady, four grandchildren, and his brother Morley h'40. The late Fred Fox '39 was Kel's brother. We send sincere sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1935

Franklin Patrick Kearney '35

Pat Kearney died Apr. 30, 1998, in Peterborough, N.H., of complications from a series of strokes which were bravely fought over a period of more than five years. He was 84.

Pat was born in Maplewood, N.J., and prepared at Kingswood School in Connecticut. He majored in politics, belonged to Elm Club, and roomed with Fran Smith. In 1937 he married Sally Skinner in Farmington, Conn., and soon the family was enlarged by the advent of several children: Edith in 1940, James in 1943, and Patricia in 1950. Later, seven grandchildren were added.

In business, Pat became a methods engineer with United Aircraft in East Hartford, retiring in 1970. The family built a home in the country, and Pat made these comments in our 50th-reunion yearbook: "I devote a great deal of time to conservation, environmental, and civic activities. Recently we built a somewhat primitive cabin in the Adirondacks, which we can reach only by water (or ice). We live a very simple life, believing that we are two of the most fortunate people around. We have been blessed with a family we think is tops."

The class sends its most sincere condolences to all the family members.

The Class of 1935

Norman Spencer Welch Jr. '35

Belatedly, the news has reached us that Norm Welch died Apr. 21, 1997, peacefully, in his sleep, at home in Reswell, Ga. He was 84.

Norm entered Princeton from the H.S. of Charleston, S.C. He had a War Memorial Scholarship for four years and was president of Cloister Inn Club. Despite having majored in geology, Norm pursued a career in banking, first in Atlanta, and later with Guaranty Trust in NYC and Trust Co. of Georgia in Atlanta.

He married Betty Medina of Brooklyn in 1939, and they had three daughters, Katherine, Dorothy, and Jean, and one son, Norman III '77, now a doctor.

In 1994 Norm took early retirement from the Trust Co. of Georgia in Atlanta. The family moved to Cumming, Ga., where he was a cofounder of the Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit. Norm started a new career as investment officer of the First Natl. Bank of Gainesville, Ga. He retired again in 1977, expressing his happiness with a "countrystyle existence." However, Betty, his wife of 55 years, predeceased him in 1995. Surviving are the three daughters, son, and six grandchildren, to all of whom we send our most sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1935

John Francis Malloy '36

Jack, a longtime resident of Oklahoma City, died May 15, 1998. He was 85. A graduate of Phillips Andover, he majored in biology and was a member of Tiger Inn. He was in the oil business for over 60 years. After his being associated with Stanolind Oil Co., in 1950 he became a partner of Huston Huffman (Yale '36). They were oil operators for many years in several western states.

Jack was an outstanding golfer for over 70 years. Captain of Princeton's varsity golf team in his senior year, in 1936 he was elected president of the Intercollegiate Golf Assn. After graduation he was the last amateur to win the Oklahoma Open, and he won both the Colorado State Amateur and the Broadmoor Invitational, plus several other tournaments. He qualified for the U.S. Amateur in 1933 and 1963. He was a life director of the Trans-Mississippi Golf tournament.

Jack is survived by his wife, Aileen, daughters Margaret Thompson and Sandra Cantey, sons John G., Paul, and Emery A. Cantey Jr., brother Patrick, 11 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. His first wife, Geraldine, died in 1961. The last time we say Jack was at our 50th reunion in 1986. He led a productive and interesting life.

The Class of 1936

Lyman Moore '36

Lyman died Apr. 26, 1998, at home in Rohnert Park, Calif. At Princeton he majored at the School of Public and International Affairs and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. In 1940 he completed a master's in political science at the U. of Minnesota.

He next joined the Bureau of the Budget in Washington, D.C., followed by work for Booz, Allen and Hamilton as a consultant helping modernize the Philippines's budgetary system. Returning to America, he helped establish the World Health Organization and held executive officer positions with the Natl. Center for Research and Development, the Natl. Institute of Mental Health, the Bureau of Disease Prevention and Environmental Control (now HEW), which granted him its Superior Service Award, and the Natl. Heart and Lung Institute. He was a part-time teacher and popular guest speaker.

In the 1970s he was president of the American Youth Hostel Federation, which gave him its Natl. Award for Distinguished Service. Lyman was listed in three separate editions of Who's Who in America, Government and Health Care.

He is survived by his wife, Evelyn, daughter Sandi Mooney, son Lyman, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. This Princetonian was indeed a man of great talents.

The Class of 1936

Leslie Moulthrop Page '36

Les died Mar. 27, 1998, in Southampton, N.Y. He prepared at the Choate School, where he was on the soccer team. At Princeton he was a member of the Glee Club. He left Princeton at the end of sophomore year and attended Babson College.

Although Les was with us for only two years he served Princeton well for many, having been on the Alumni Council and on his local Schools Committee. He was a president of his local Princeton Alumni Assn. and regional chairman for Annual Giving. Les was chairman and CEO of Page Imports, importers of fine chandeliers. He worked with this company for over 50 years. He is survived by his wife, Lucy, sons Jay and Chip, daughter Calla Clay, four grandchildren, and brothers Jarvis and Chauncey. Les will be remembered for his work for Princeton.

The Class of 1936

Joseph Warren '36

Joe died Apr. 20, 1998. He was 85. A graduate of the Hun School, he left Princeton after freshman year and joined IBM, where he worked for some 35 years in management positions.

He retired in 1968, built a home at Harbour Island in the Bahamas, and wintered in South Bristol, Maine. During the last 15 years he and his wife, Sarah, lived in the winter on Man O War, another Bahamian island. Joe's favorite means of transportation there was his moped.

During WWII, he was a naval supply officer for two years. In 1946 he was released from active duty with the rank of lieutenant.

Joe was president for several years of the Harbour Island Day Nursery. His hobbies were tennis, flying, sailing, and traveling.

He is survived by Sarah, whom he married in 1938, daughters Christie Bartle and Nancy W. Moody, and two grandchildren. We of the class extend our sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1936

Alan C. Poole '37

Ardent Princetonian, marathoner, and investment expert, Ben Poole died June 3, 1998. His wife of 59 years, Anne, daughter Nancy, son John '69, and two grandchildren survive.

An economics major, he ran freshman track and varsity cross-country, was circulation and sports manager of the Princeton Pictorial, and joined Dial Lodge.

His Army service took him to the beach at Leyte; he landed in Okinawa 12 minutes after H-hour, and he received the Bronze Star and Purple Heart plus many ribbons. He was an artilleryinfantry liaison officer, ending as a major.

Alan began his career as research analyst for the Opinion Research Corp., was on the staff of The Public Opinion Research Index for Industry, and from 1949 was with Hemphill Noyes, becoming director of institutional research. He became known as a stock-market letterwriter, widely quoted by the press. He joined N.Y. Securities Co. in 1962 and ended up with Barclay Investments in 1991.

He was class secretary from 1972-82, chairman for our ninth, 10th, and 15th reunions, and on the committee for our 20th and 25th. Alan represented the class at the Alumni Council memorial service. He began running again at age 62 and was nationally ranked in his age group, completing 28 marathons, including Berlin in 1990 in 5:27:26. Mar. 19, 1989, was Alan Poole Day in Princeton.

The Class of 1937

Benjamin C. O'Sullivan '37

Ben O'Sullivan died May 2, 1998, near his longtime home in Mamaroneck, N.Y. Ben grew up in NYC, where he attended the Browning School, and followed his father, Tom '14, to Princeton, where he was a member of the Roosevelt Coalition and the Veterans of Future Wars. After NYU Law School, where he was editorinchief of the Law Review, Ben joined the New Deal in Washington and then the Army, serving under Patton in Europe and emerging (75 lbs. lighter) as a captain with a Bronze Star.

Professionally, Ben combined a sophisticated international tax practice -- Onassis was a client and George Duff a partner -- with representing writers, including his brother-inlaw and great friend, Budd Schulberg, as well as John O'Hara, James Gould Cozzens, Hannah Arendt, and Mary McCarthy. He also defended socialists during the McCarthy era and worked for 40 years to help Native Americans. His son, John '65, wrote, "He was a lawyer's lawyer and a true wit. He loved music, tennis, Princeton, and the Brooklyn Dodgers."

Ben was buried in West Tisbury on his beloved Martha's Vineyard. His friend Penn Kimball spoke for the class. Ben is also survived by Sonya, his wife of almost 57 years, son John '65, daughter Chris, and grandchildren Sarah '00 and Katie.

The Class of 1937

John D. Stewart '37

Eminent national affairs editor, ardent reuner, and king of the chafing dish, Johnnie Stewart died July 1, 1998. He left his wife, Margret (Helen died in 1964), daughters Leigh Estabrook and Susan Stockard (whose husband is James '64), seven grandchildren, and one great-grandson.

At Exeter he was on the baseball team and a member of the debating society. At Princeton he majored in economics and was a member of the band and Key and Seal.

Johnnie started off as an associate instructor at Princeton, then worked for the Bureau of Natl. Affairs starting in June 1939. It became an independent company in 1947; Johnnie became president in 1964. He described his life as a comfortable, enjoyable rut, which being chairman of tripartite committees to set minimum wages in American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, and president of the Washington chapter of the Industrial Relations Research Assn. By 1984 he retired to southern Maryland but retained an office; he was what he called a computer-programming nut. In 1996 he wrote Making Employee Ownership Work: Lessons from BNA's First 50 Years and Aesop's Fables. His family established a John D. Stewart Memorial Fund with contributions to go to the '37 Fund and to support environmental research.

The Class of 1937

Lincoln Weil Lauterstein '38

Lincoln Lauterstein died Feb. 12, 1998, his 81st birthday, in Rockport, Mass.

Linc prepared at Woodmere Academy and Mercersburg. At Princeton he majored in English and graduated with highest honors. He was chairman of the Liberal Club and a member of the Gateway Club. After graduation from Harvard Law School and serving as a radio operator in the Army Air Forces during WWII, he joined his father's law firm in NYC, where he bought an old Brooklyn Heights mansion. Despite his representation at the law firm of such prestigious clients as the Metropolitan Opera and Macy's, his widow states that he could have been an outstanding musicologist and composer. He loved gardening, especially the cultivation of roses, and loved and understood animals.

Linc is survived by his widow, Ingeborg "Inga," his son, Adrian, and his younger brother, Henry, to all of whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938

Frederic Rosengarten Jr. '38 *40

Fritz Rosengarten died May 9, 1998, after a short illness in Palm Beach, Fla. At Princeton he graduated with honors in modern languages and was a member of Ivy Club and the varsity track and cross-country teams.

Starting in 1940, he lived for many years in Guatemala with his family. He began a career as an experimental agriculturist, author, and entrepreneur by managing a Merck cinchona plantation, which produced quinine. During WWII, he went to Germany, serving as a lieutenant in Army Intelligence. Thereafter, he returned to Guatemala and experimented with different crops at varying altitudes. He developed successful "fincas," or plantations, of cardamom, citronella, coffee, and macadamia nuts. In 1960 the president of Guatemala decorated him with the Order of Quetzal, Guatemala's highest medal of recognition, for boosting Guatemala's economy with cardamom exports. He was also a member of the prestigious Linnean Society of London. Over the years Fritz wrote several books about the agriculture and history of Central America: The Book of Edible Nuts, Freebooters Must Die, and most notably, The Book of Spices.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Miriam, four daughters, and 10 grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1938

Bayard MacDonald Stevens '39

After a long hard battle with cancer, Willie died at his home in Vero Beach, Fla., Apr. 15, 1998. He and Mary, his wife of 58 years, had moved there from Bay Head, N.J., 14 years ago when Willie finally retired from a career in marketing and personal financial planning. Throughout retirement he gave generously of his time in volunteer work and civic involvement, serving for a time as secretarytreasurer of a local civic watchdog group. He loved music and was one of the founders of the Treasure Coast Jazz Society. As area rep for Princeton Annual Giving, he was proud that in 1987 his area led the country in percentage of donors. He regularly delivered MealsonWheels, and for years after his own first bout with cancer, he did counseling and other volunteer work for the American Cancer Society of Vero Beach.

To Mary, their son Bayard Jr., and daughter Elizabeth Bergstein, we offer our sympathy as with them we say goodbye to our old friend.

The Class of 1939

Douglas Alexander Elliott '40

Son of a '15 graduate, retired aeronautical engineer Doug Elliott died Feb. 18, 1998. He came to Princeton from Roosevelt H.S. along with Ed Holloway, Ed Thurman, and Bob Wronker. He majored in engineering and was a member of Elm Club.

Doug left at the end of junior year to study aeronautical engineering at NYU and for flight training -- a move leading to lifelong involvement in aviation, initially pioneering transatlantic airline service with PanAm Airways flying boats. He became a flight engineer on the PanAm Clippers, flying to Africa, Ireland, and France. During WWII, he was commissioned in the Naval Air Transport Service and continued with his flying.

Later Doug worked at the Republic and Fairchild Companies and then CurtisWright Corp. for 23 years, where he was chief dynamics engineer. Finally, prior to retirement, he went with the FAA Technical Center, experimenting with new navigational aids and cockpit instrumentation. Doug enjoyed sailing and kept in touch with '40.

He is survived by his wife, Mildred, two sons, a daughter, and seven grandchildren, to all of whom the class sends condolences. Doug's career clearly made a positive contribution to us aircraft industry advancement and commercial flying and transport.

The Class of 1940

Miles Wells Kirkpatrick '40

Retired attorney and former chairman of the Federal Trade Commission, Miles Kirkpatrick died May 2, 1998, at his Strafford, Pa., home. Originally with '39, he prepared at Solesbury School and majored in philosophy. Miles took his law training at the U. of Pennsylvania following WWII service with the Air Corps. He joined the Philadelphia firm Morgan, Lewis and Bockius, where he became partner in 1955. In 1968 he headed the American Bar Assn.'s antitrust section.

In 1970 President Nixon appointed Miles as Federal Trade Commission chairman. During his tenure the FTC underwent major reshaping and prodded manufacturers to back up their claims of safety performance and therapeutic value. It took on Coca Cola and DuPont for falsely proclaiming their product performance. After three years Miles returned to his law firm to become chairman of its antitrust and trade regulation section. He retired in 1985. He was active in community affairs and was a member of the board of Solesbury School. Classmate Marsh Palmer was an usher in Miles's wedding to Anne Sharth and attended his memorial service, both in the same church in Radnor, Pa.

Surviving are his wife, a son, two daughters, and eight grandchildren, to whom the class sends its condolences and shares their grief in the loss of this prominent lawyer, citizen, and community leader.

The Class of 1940

Edwin Waterbury Rochon '40

Ned Rochon died May 6, 1998, in Bradentown, Fla. He entered Princeton from Montana's Anaconda H.S. with the goal of becoming a NYC newspaperman. At college Ned majored in history and joined Key and Seal and the Press Club, where his writing talent soon became evident.

Following WWII Army service, Ned was with the Associated Press, the Herald Tribune, Daily News, and the World Telegram, where he covered international affairs and wrote a column, "The World Over." He also wrote short stories published in This Week Magazine. Later he joined TimeLife as managing editor of House and Home Magazine. Ned's abilities were acknowledged by Who's Who in America for 1982 and '83.

After retirement Ned moved permanently to Florida but often returned to Princeton, for which he had an abiding affection. He is survived by his devoted wife Thelma and a sister, Dorothy R. Powers, to both of whom we send our sincere condolences. (The bulk of the foregoing was prepared by Herb Shultz, Ned's lifelong friend and Press Club colleague. He well recalls attending with Ned the second Louis-Schmeling fight in Yankee Stadium and crashing Brenda Diana Duff Frazier's coming-out party at the Ritz in Dec. 1938, which "was a very nice party that lasted all night.")

The Class of 1940

J. Laurence Hutton Jr. '41

Laurie Hutton died Feb. 14, 1998, at Morristown [N.J.] Memorial Hospital after a long illness. His wife, Clarisse, survives in Mendham, N.J.

Born in NYC and coming from Choate, he majored in chemical engineering. Then it was on to a master's from Columbia. During WWII, he was employed by the Hercules Powder Co. in its research and development division.

When peace finally came he worked for the family business in Harrison, N.J., called T. Shriver & Co., where he marketed chemical equipment. He sold the firm in 1973 and retired fully in 1978.

An avid reader, Laurie served for 36 years on the board of the Joint Free Public Library of Morristown and helped its library foundation. As a member of the Ausable Club he enjoyed hiking with his family in the Adirondack High Peaks region.

Other survivors are his daughters Katherine and Emily, son John, brother William, and four grandchildren. Gentlemen who combine engineering with a love for quality books are a rare breed.

The Class of 1941

Samuel Jackson Lanahan '41

Sam died May 29, 1998, at his home in Dartmouth, England, having been stricken while crossing on the Q.E.II. Having prepared at St. Paul's School, Sam -- also known as Jack -- rowed and boxed his freshman year. Thereafter he concentrated his sports efforts on boxing under his friend and coach, sculptor Joe Brown. In the summer of sophomore year Sam, a light- heavyweight, won the Maryland state championship in Golden Gloves competition. He majored in English. Sam belonged to Ivy Club, where he formed a friendship with Thacher Longstreth, whose campaign for mayor of Philadelphia Sam managed.

Sam was navigator on aircraft carriers in WWII as a lieutenant and then attended Columbia Law School. Finishing in two years, he practiced in NYC and Washington. Until retirement Sam was a partner in the Washington firm of Wilmer, Cutler and Pickering.

For recreation Sam enjoyed sailboat racing in Chesapeake Bay and retired to a beautiful 17th-century house there. He was our class agent in the early 1960s and was a trustee of the F. Scott Fitzgerald ['17] Foundation. Scott was the father of Sam's first wife Scottie. Sam was instrumental in the donation of many Fitzgerald works to Firestone Library.

To Sheila, his wife of 30 years, his mother, brother Wallace '40, son Samuel, and daughters Eleanor and Cecilia, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1941

Alfred Peter McNulty '46 *50

Al, regarded as "the dean of construction management" in Cleveland, died there May 10, 1998, of prostate cancer. He was 73. He was the founder and president of Applied Project Management Co., a construction and consulting firm. Al also taught construction management as adjunct professor at Case Western Reserve and Cleveland State Universities, and wrote Management of Small Construction Projects.

Born in Patchogue, Long Island, he graduated from Phillips Academy, going on to Princeton for several months before entering the Army. During WWII, he served with the Army Combat Engineers in Europe and earned a Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. Back at Princeton he was a varsity wrestler at 128 lbs., winning the Big Three Ivy championship in 1947. He belonged to Cannon Club.

Al completed his AB in 1948 and a master's in civil engineering in 1950, then started his career with Turner Construction Co. in NYC.

Al moved to Cleveland in 1967 to become v.p. of Hunkin-Conkey Construction Co., then launched his own business in 1970. He lived in Cleveland Heights.

His wife, Dorothy "Dottie," to whom he was married 38 years, survives him, as do his sons Matthew, Peter, and William '91, a grandson, and four sisters. The class extends its deep sympathy to them.

The Class of 1946

Benjamin H. Brewster '47

Ben died June 2, 1998, at his home in Scottsdale, Ariz. He had been in failing health since suffering a severe stroke in 1995.

Ben was born and raised in Baltimore. He graduated from the Hill School in 1943 and attended the U. of North Carolina's Marine V12 program. Entering Princeton in the fall of 1946, he graduated in Feb. 1949 with a major in politics.

Ben joined the family business, Baugh Chemical, in Baltimore. When the business was sold to Kerr-McGee in 1963, Ben moved to its Oklahoma City location to work in the chemical and petroleum divisions.

Upon retirement in 1973, Ben began working with the Episcopal Church at the parish and diocesan levels. His contributions were many and widely recognized by the community. These, he would call the "happiest" years of his life. Ben and his wife, Harriet, enjoyed their summers in Charlevoix, Mich., and Flagstaff, Ariz.

Even though he attended few class functions, Ben had a deep affection for Princeton. The class extends its deepest sympathy to Harriet, his son Benjamin H. Jr., his daughter Diana Doswell, his four grandsons, and his brother William M. '53.

The Class of 1947

Lawrence Washington Chisolm '50

Larry Chisolm died Apr. 29, 1998, at his home in Buffalo, N.Y., after a long bout with cancer. He was 69.

Larry prepared at St. Mark's, where he was yearbook editor, in student government, and played football and basketball. At Princeton he majored in S.P.I.A., was on the class memorial fund executive committee, played rugby, and belonged to Cottage.

After three years in the Navy, he earned his PhD at Yale, specializing in East Asian studies, and taught there until 1968. He then went to the U. of Buffalo for the last 30 years of his career. His interdisciplinary approach to American studies, novel 30 years ago, combined a traditional emphasis on history, literature, and the arts with a new appreciation of the social sciences, particularly social anthropology.

Active in civil rights and motivated by idealism, Larry marched with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. He actively opposed the Vietnam War, using his negotiating talents to mediate between students and the U.B. administration in the late 1960s.

He guided many students with his love and deep respect for the natural world and social justice. Those close to Larry remember him as a warm, generous man and an inspired teacher.

Larry is survived by his wife, Patricia Shelly, and five daughters, Anne Waters, Ruth, Elizabeth Paun, Susan Bliss, and Sarah Orlov, to whom the class offers its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1950

Robert Kenley Burdette '53

With sorrow, we record the death of our friend Bob, Apr. 19, 1998, in Churchville, Va.

After finishing Somerset Maugham Elementary School with Dave Brown, Bob received his diploma from Tenafly [N.J.] H.S. prior to Princeton. At the university, Bob worked in Commons and the U-Store and put the shot in track. He was a member of Dial Lodge, sang in the choir, and played in the Tiger Band. He majored in music, and his thesis was entitled "The Orchestration of Beethoven."

Bob did not become a conductor of classical music, but he did become a conductor of English at several colleges, after receiving his doctorate in English. Bob then turned to law, obtaining his degree from Michigan Law School, and practiced in Charlotte, Mich., for several years. From 197484, he lawyered in NYC before moving to Virginia as a freelance editor for several publishing houses. His son Robert Jr. said Bob was interested in small farming and grew apples, peaches, and cherries. Dave Brown said it succinctly: "Bob was a swell guy." To that, we all agree and express our deep sympathy to his widow, Barbara, Robert Jr., daughter Anne Marie Johnston, and sister Jane Cook.

The Class of 1953

John Edward Raap '53

Regrettably, we lost John to a heart attack June 2, 1997, in Sebring, Fla.

Prior to Princeton, John, a native of Chicago, attended Oak Park Township H.S. Before leaving the university after three years, he had served on the Junior Prom Committee and the Orange Key Society and had played on the baseball team. He roomed with Dave Anderson, Don Chipman, Russ Smith, and Dick Minesinger. Dick recalls that John had his own ritual in preparing for an exam. Instead of Cliff's Notes, John would compare his notes to those of other students. He would then make a compilation and turn it over to a professional typist. The night before the test, John would have a leisurely meal with his Cannon clubmates, shoot a little pool, return to his dorm, take a relaxing shower, and then lie on his bed and absorb the typed material.

In later years, Tom Brandt became reacquainted with John through their church in Edina, Minn. John, who was with an architectural firm, went through a divorce and suffered a heart attack. He moved to Sebring to recuperate and died there. We appreciate Tom's help in trying to obtain more information about John and we are sorry John's contact with '53 was minimal. We mourn his death.

The Class of 1953

Robert Brown Gardner '59

An internationally known mathematician, Robby died May 5, 1998, following a brief illness. A professor at the U. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, since 1971, Robby authored three books and over 50 papers. A memorial fund to benefit math graduate students has been established in his name at UNC.

Son of Esmond '23, Robby played freshman soccer at Princeton, joined Key and Seal, and roomed with Randy Bigger, Tommy Byrnes, Roger Little, Charlie Murphy, and Charlie Stevenson.

Robby earned an MA at Columbia and a PhD at UC-Berkeley. He held faculty positions at Berkeley, Courant Institute, Columbia, and the Institute for Advanced Study. He cofounded a faculty and student exchange with the Technische U. in Berlin, belonged to Sigma Xi, AMS, and the First Senior Member IEEE. He was a connoisseur of antiques and fine wines, an avid collector of German stamps, and a lover of music: classical to big band, samba, and rock.

Robby was appreciated for his quick wit, sense of humor, empathy, and generosity. Princeton's John Wheeler inspired in Rob a dedication to students, several of whom spoke at his memorial service. One wrote of him: "He was the best man I ever knew."

Rob is survived by his wife, Harolyn, children Kirsten and Steven, sisters Carlene, Anita, and Margaret, and stepmother Nancy, to whom the class offers its sincere condolences.

The Class of 1959

Jackson Morrison II '68

Jackson "Jack" Morrison died June 9, 1998, of a massive heart attack at his Eureka, Calif., home. He was 53.

After Princeton, Jack earned his law degree from U. of California, Hastings College of Law, in 1974. Jack had a myriad of interests and activities. He was a master of correspondence chess, an American contract bridge life master, an Eagle Scout, a member of Mensa, and a devoted and reliable interviewer for Princeton's Alumni Schools Committee. An extremely well-respected member of the local bar, Jack devoted many volunteer hours as a judge pro tem of the Eureka Municipal Court. He was a certified specialist in family law, a member of the California Judges Assn., and a member of the bar of the U.S. Supreme Court.

His love of nature was demonstrated by involvement in the directors club of the Zoological Society of San Diego and his longtime membership in the World Wildlife Fund, Marine Mammal Center, Nature Conservancy, Friends of the Dunes, and the Sequoia Humane Center. Jack was the loving husband of Suzanne "Suki" for 26 years and the devoted father of Colin (20) and Beth (18); he also leaves his parents, Jack and Phyllis. Jack's warmth, vigor, and love of life will be greatly missed by all of us.

The Class of 1968

Andrew Hasenfeld '79

Scholar and activist Andrew Hasenfeld died Dec. 20, 1997, after suffering a fall. Andrew earned his BS in physics and was a member of the Film Society. He earned his PhD in biophysics from Berkeley in 1985.

At about the time he graduated from Princeton, Andrew was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Although his illness left him increasingly disabled, Andrew continued to participate in scientific pursuits, working on the Human Genome Project and projects involving magnetic resonance imaging. He was writing a physics book for popular audiences at the time of his death.

In 1994, he moved to Amherst, Mass., to be near the Quabbin Reservoir, a place he loved for its beauty. He was active in the Amherst chapter of Amnesty Intl. and succeeded in reducing the death sentence of a Russian prisoner. He campaigned against the death penalty in Massachusetts.

He also crusaded for the medical use of marijuana, which helped ease his own painful muscle spasms. An avid outdoorsman, Andrew worked to make Massachusetts's state parks more accessible to persons with disabilities.

The class sends its sympathy to Andrew's mother, Myrna, two sisters, and brother, and mourns the passing of a classmate who exemplified the best of scholarship and citizenship.

The Class of 1979