|If United Nations Documents have moved in large measure onto the web in the summer of 2007, where are some of the most useful doors to access them? Twelve such portals are listed here.
I. League of Nations.
1.A. Haile Selassie Speech: (http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/selassie.htm )
1.B. League of Nations . Statistical Yearbook. 1926-1944 (http://www.library.northwestern.edu/govinfo/collections/league/)
II. United Nations Documentation.
2. Speeches in General Debate
2.A. UNBISNET – Speech Index (http://unbisnet.un.org/)
Search Tips: United Stated. President , USSR . Chairman , Russian Federation . PreZiden t.
Or, earliest document: Symbol: Country AND A/61/PV (phrase) (61: 2006; 60: 2005 etc.)
2.B. Document Symbols (www.un.org/Depts/dhl/resguuide/symbol.htm )
2.C. Official Languages are English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, and Arabic 1977 +
2.D. Full text 1993 to present, some earlier,
2.E. Earlier Full Text contact UN Depository Libraries (http://www.un.org/Depts/dhl/deplib/)
2.F. Videos and full text 61 st Session Fall 2006 (http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/61/)
2.G. Context: New York Times . Historic – Kruschev in 1960 – other speeches.
3. . Official Document System – Full Text 1993 to present :( http://ods.un.org)
ODS requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or above, or Netscape 6.21 or above, Unicode compliant
3.A .. Phrase Searching - Crimes against humanity AND Darfur ( Sudan ) , no truncation
3.C. Resolutions . UN documentation Center . http://www.un.org/documents/
3.D . 1985 + UNBISNET – General keyword - nuclear weapons AND material type resolutions
4. Documents on Palestine Question - Highly useful gathering covers many years. ( http://domino.un.org/unispal.nsf/outline6%21OpenPage)
5. UN Sales Publications (https://unp.un.org/)--By purchase only.
6. Search by topic: Human Rights – Child Soldiers
6.A. Comparison: ODS Advanced: SUBJECT 461 ; Global 2350, UNBISNET SUBJECT 622.
6. B. Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights . http://www.ohchr.org/english/
7. UNICEF . includes annual State of the World's Children full text (http://www.unicef.org/)
Innocenti Research Centre - publications on children's rights (http://www.unicef-irc.org/)
8. Human Development Reports . http://hdr.undp.org/
Global – Regional - National
9. Common Database of Statistics - (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cdb/ ) Great basket.
III. Other United Nations Bodies
10. Regional Commissions . A wonderful amount of detail is found on the web sites of the five United Nations Regional Commission, including lots of country information and full text documents.
- Africa (includes Egypt) (http://www.uneca.org/)
- Asia and the Pacific (includes many states of former Soviet Union) (http://www.uneca.org/)
- Europe (also includes many states of former Soviet Union) (http://www.unece.org/)
- Latin America and the Caribbean is especially strong. (http://www.eclac.org/default.asp?idioma=IN
- Western Asia (the Arab countries of the Middle East, includes Egypt) (http://www.escwa.org.lb/
11.Web Sites of UN Specialized or External Agencies
- FAO Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (http://www.fao.org/)
- IAEA International Atomic Energy Agency (http://www.iaea.org/)
- ICAO International Civil Aviation Organization (http://www.icao.int/)
- IFAD International Fund for Agricultural Development (http://www.ifad.org/)
- ILO International Labour Organization (http://www.ilo.org/global/lang--en/index.htm)
- IMO International Maritime Organization (http://www.imo.org/) (Limited full text.)
- IMF International Monetary Fund (http://www.imf.org/)
- ITU International Telecommunications Union ( http://www.itu.int/net/home/index.aspx)
- UNCTAD United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (Full text but no stats) (http://www.unctad.org/Templates/StartPage.asp?intItemID=2068)
- UNIDO United Nations Industrial Development Organization (http://www.unido.org/)
- UNESCO United Nations Educational,Scientific and Cultural Organization (http://www.unesco.org/)
- UPU Universal Postal Union (http://www.upu.int/) (Limited full text.)
- World Bank ((http://www.worldbank.org/) )
- WHO World Health Organization ( (http://www.who.int/en/))
- WIPO World Intellectual Property Organization (http://www.wipo.int/portal/index.html.en)
- WMO World Meteorological Organization (http://www.wmo.ch/pages/index_en.html) (Limited)
- WTO World Trade Organization (Began 1995, formally GATT) (http://www.wto.org/)
- WTO World Tourism Organization (http://www.world-tourism.org/) (Limited full text.)
12. CyberSchoolBus (http://www.un.org/Pubs/CyberSchoolBus/) For kids and teens - Fantastic.