Welcome to the Arnold group homepage
Prof. Craig B. Arnold and his research group focus on materials processing and fabrication, with applications in energy, optoelelectronics, sensing and nanotechnology.
News and recent publications
Tilting of adjacent laser-induced liquid jets
C. F. Brasz, J. H. Yang, and C. B. Arnold, Microfluid. Nanofluid. (2014) uses time-resolved imaging and computational fluid dynamics to reveal a tilting effect in adjacent liquid jets formed using blister-actuated laser-induced forward transfer.
Inverted-Rib Chalcogenide Waveguides
Y. Zha, P. T. Lin, L. Kimerling, A. Agarwal, C. B. Arnold, ACS Photonics (2014) demonstrates the microtrench filling method for producing IR waveguides of 1.87 dB/cm propagation loss, which is the lowest among solution-processed waveguides.
Capacity fade in constrained lithium-ion cells
J. Cannarella, C. B. Arnold J. Power Sources (2014) shows that mechanical stress arising during normal operation can accelerate chemical degradation. The degradation is nonuniform, suggesting better control of mechanical properties can increase durability.
Origins of nanostructure in polymer coatings
K. Shepard, C. B. Arnold, R. Priestley, Appl. Phys. Lett. (2013) investigates the effect of two MAPLE parameters, deposition time and target concentration, on the nanoscale morphology of MAPLE deposited PMMA.
Battery capacity fade in off-grid renewables
E. M. Krieger, J. Cannarella, C. B. Arnold, Energy (2013) concludes that LiFePO4 is the best available battery chemistry for use in off-grid renewable energy systems through a long-term aging study of multiple chemistries subjected to stochastic charging profiles.
- CLEO, San Jose, CA, June 2014
- LPM - International Symposium on Laser Precision Microfabrication, Vilnius, Lithuania, June 2014
- Welcome to our new summer students and visiting researchers! (6/9/14)
- Congratulations to Jake Herb on recieving first place for his third year seminar! (5/29/14)
- Congratulations to John Cannarella on receiving the Wallace Memorial Fellowship! (5/28/14)
- Congratulations to Yunlai (Jerry) Zha on passing his FPO! (5/9/14)
- Congratulations to Yu-Cheng Tsai on passing his FPO! (9/18/13)
- Welcome to visiting student Juliana Mara Pinto de Almeida! (9/16/13)
- Welcome to incoming graduate students Ting-Hsuan Chen and Jingjie Hu! (8/15/13)