Welcome to the Arnold group homepage
Prof. Craig B. Arnold and his research group focus on materials processing and fabrication, with applications in energy, optoelelectronics, sensing and nanotechnology.
News and recent publications
On the coupling between stress and voltage in lithium-ion pouch cells
J. Cannarella, C. Z. Leng, and C. B. Arnold, Proc. SPIE (2014) investigates how materials exhibiting intercalation-induced expansion can be used as a new class of force sensors.
State of health and charge measurements in lithium-ion batteries using mechanical stress
J. Cannarella and C. B. Arnold, J. Power Sources (2014) demonstrates a novel technique for measuring SOH and SOC of lithium-ion cells using measurements of mechanical stress or expansion.
Tilting of adjacent laser-induced liquid jets
C. F. Brasz, J. H. Yang, and C. B. Arnold, Microfluid. Nanofluid. (2014) uses time-resolved imaging and computational fluid dynamics to reveal a tilting effect in adjacent liquid jets formed using blister-actuated laser-induced forward transfer.
Inverted-Rib Chalcogenide Waveguides
Y. Zha, P. T. Lin, L. Kimerling, A. Agarwal, C. B. Arnold, ACS Photonics (2014) demonstrates the microtrench filling method for producing IR waveguides of 1.87 dB/cm propagation loss, which is the lowest among solution-processed waveguides.
Capacity fade in constrained lithium-ion cells
J. Cannarella, C. B. Arnold J. Power Sources (2014) shows that mechanical stress arising during normal operation can accelerate chemical degradation. The degradation is nonuniform, suggesting better control of mechanical properties can increase durability.
- CLEO, San Jose, CA, June 2014
- LPM - International Symposium on Laser Precision Microfabrication, Vilnius, Lithuania, June 2014
- Welcome to our new summer students and visiting researchers! (6/9/14)
- Congratulations to Jake Herb on recieving first place for his third year seminar! (5/29/14)
- Congratulations to John Cannarella on receiving the Wallace Memorial Fellowship! (5/28/14)
- Congratulations to Yunlai (Jerry) Zha on passing his FPO! (5/9/14)
- Congratulations to Yu-Cheng Tsai on passing his FPO! (9/18/13)
- Welcome to visiting student Juliana Mara Pinto de Almeida! (9/16/13)
- Welcome to incoming graduate students Ting-Hsuan Chen and Jingjie Hu! (8/15/13)