Space System Design
Monday and Wednesday, 1:30-2:50 pm
J-201, Engineering Quadrangle
This course examined the design of launch vehicles and spacecraft, including the impacts of the atmosphere and the space environment on requirements and configurations. The principals and design aspects of the structure, propulsion, power, thermal, communication, and control subsystems were studied. The course also introduced historical antecendents, systems engineering, project management, and space policy. Six problem sets and a space system design project were assigned.
The course is required for the astronautics track of the aerospace engineering program, and it is accessible to all students with the necessary prerequisites (MAE 305 and 341).
2008 Term Paper Topics
- Plasma-Based Technique for Sample Ablation and Ionization on a Mars Rover
- Cloud Cluster of Pico-Satellites
- Space-Based Laser for Space Debris Cleanup
- Halo-Orbit Satellite for Relay Communication with the Far Side
- Lunar GPS and Communications Network
- Lunar Rover for Implantation of Seismic Stations
- Lunar Communication and Navigation System Using Lunar Orbiters and L2 Halo Orbit Relay
- Sample Return from Mars
- SPARKSat: A Satellite for K-12 Education
- Asteroid Deflection by a Gravity Tractor
- Satellite to Detect Aten Asteroids
- Internet-Based Satellite Communication System
- Lunar Polar Lander with Sample Return
- Urban Heat-Island-Monitoring Satellite
- Near-Earth Object Detection
- Heat Engine as Spacecraft Power Generator
- Nano-Satellite to Observe Orbiting Spacecraft
- Launch Vehicle to Deliver a Rover to the Moon
- Cornellisse, J. W., Schoyer, H. F. R., and Wakker, K. F., Rocket Propulsion and Spaceflight Dynamics, Pitman, 1979.
- Fortesque, P., Stark, J., and Swinerd, G. Spacecraft Systems Engineering, J. Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- Kaplan, M. H., Modern Spacecraft Dynamics & Control, J. Wiley & Sons, 1976.
- Koelle, H. H., Handbook of Astronautical Engineering, McGraw-Hill, 1961.
- Larson, W. J., and Wertz, J. R., Space Mission Analysis and Design, Microcosm Press, 2006.
- Pisacane, V. L., Fundamentals of Space Systems, Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Seifert, H. S., Space Technology, J. Wiley & Sons, 1959.
- Stengel, R. F., Flight Dynamics, Princeton University Press, 2004.
- Stengel, R. F., Optimal Control and Estimation, Dover, 1994.
- Weisel, W. E., Spaceflight Dynamics, McGraw-Hill, 1997.
last updated June 13, 2012, stengel at princeton.edu
Copyright 2008 by Robert F. Stengel. All rights reserved.