Versailles on Paper – Past and Present The Labyrinth
Aesop at Court; or, the Labyrinth of Versailles Delineated in French and English (1768), with copies in reverse of the original illustrations.
In the 1770s, the Labyrinth was dismantled and replaced by the Bosquet de la Reine (Queen's Grove), named for Marie-Antoinette.   
A few of the lead sculptures have survived, such as these goat-riding monkeys, currently displayed on the first floor of the palace.
The statues of Cupid and Aesop, which used to flank the entrance of the Labyrinth, now stand in the vestibule of the Queen's Staircase.


Photos taken in 2014 by Volker Schröder

© 2015 The Trustees of Princeton University