A pdf version of my full CV can be found here.
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ USA
Ph.D., Physics (expected graduation date: July 2013)
- Adviser: Professor Frans Pretorius
- M.A., Physics, January 2010
- Ph.D., Physics (expected graduation date: July 2013)
Stanford University, Stanford, CA USA
B.S., Mathematics and Physics, June 2008
- with Honors in Physics, Conferred with Distinction
- B.S., Mathematics and Physics, June 2008
National Science Foundation
- Ray Grimm Memorial Prize in Computational Physics, 2013
- Graduate Research Fellowship, 2008-2011
- Deans' Award for Academic Accomplishment, 2008
- President's Award for Academic Excellence, 2005
- W.E. East and F. Pretorius "Simulating extreme-mass-ratio systems in full general relativity" Phys. Rev. D 87, 101502(R) (2013)
- W.E. East and F. Pretorius "Ultrarelativistic black hole formation" Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 101101 (2013)
- W.E. East, S.T. McWilliams, J. Levin, and F. Pretorius "Observing complete gravitational wave signals from dynamical capture binaries" Phys. Rev. D 87, 043004 (2013)
- W.E. East and F. Pretorius "Dynamical Capture Binary Neutron Star Mergers" Astrophys. J. Letters Vol 760, L4 (2012)
- W.E. East, F.M. Ramazanoglu, and F. Pretorius "Conformal thin-sandwich solver for generic initial data" Phys. Rev. D 86, 104053 (2012)
- W.E. East, F. Pretorius, and B.C. Stephens "Hydrodynamics in full general relativity with conservative AMR", Phys. Rev. D 85, 124010 (2012)
- W.E. East, F. Pretorius, and B.C. Stephens "Eccentric black hole-neutron star mergers: Effects of black hole spin and equation of state", Phys. Rev. D 85, 124009 (2012)
- B.C. Stephens, W.E. East, and F. Pretorius "Eccentric Black-hole-Neutron-star Mergers", Astrophys. J. Letters Vol 737, L5 (2011)
- V. Petrosian and W.E. East "Heating and Acceleration of Intracluster Medium Electrons by Turbulence", Astrophys. J. Vol 682, 175 (2008)
- "Dynamical Capture Compact Binary Mergers", UIUC Theoretical Astrophysics and GR seminar, Dec. 12, 2012; Perimeter Institute Strong gravity seminar, Nov. 22, 2012; Harvard CFA, Nov. 9 2012; Caltech TAPIR seminar, Oct. 26, 2012; and Cornell Astrophysics lunch seminar, Oct 24, 2012.
- "Eccentric Compact Object Mergers", APS April Meeting, April 1, 2012.
- "Eccentric Black Hole-Neutron Star Mergers", Eastern Gravity Meeting at Princeton University, June 3, 2011.
- "Simulations of eccentric BH-NS mergers in full GR: Part II", APS April Meeting, May 2, 2011.
- "Ultra-relativistic neutron star collisions", Eastern Gravity Meeting at NC State University, May 22, 2010.
Keystream Corporation, Mountain View, CA USA
- Algorithms Intern, April 2008 to August 2008
- Programming: C, C++, Fortran, Python, Java, and Matlab