Art@Bainbridge Block Party
The Princeton University Art Museum invites you to join us and our neighbors on Nassau Street for live music, exhibition tours, and family-friendly activities as we celebrate the grand opening of Art@.Bainbridge.
Following extensive restoration and preservation efforts, storied Bainbridge House, one of the few remaining 18th-century structures in downtown Princeton, has been transformed into a compelling public venue being programmed by the Princeton University Art Museum. Called Art@Bainbridge, the new gallery space will feature the work of contemporary artists in an intimate domestic setting.
“The Museum looks forward to launching Art@Bainbridge with the entire Princeton community,” said James Steward, Nancy A. Nasher–David J. Haemisegger, Class of 1976, Director. “This beautifully restored and updated historic building represents the institution’s ongoing commitment to examining the powerful work of today’s most exciting practitioners as it relates to our shared histories, values and concerns.”
Art@Bainbridge, located at 158 Nassau Street, is a brief walk from the Museum at the heart of the Princeton campus. In its inaugural year, Art@Bainbridge will offer a series of installations and exhibitions centered around the theme of shelter. These presentations will consider ideas of shelter and domesticity in the context of a recently restored colonial-era home, as well as wider implications of the theme as it relates to belonging, the construction of identity and the arts as a site of refuge.
The ground-floor galleries will also serve as a convening space for Museum programs, community gatherings and dynamic partnerships with neighbors such as the Princeton Garden Theatre and Labyrinth Books. The Museum’s education department will occupy Bainbridge House’s upper floors.
One of the oldest houses in Princeton, dating to 1766, Bainbridge House has provided housing for members of the Continental Congress and for students of the University, served as the Princeton Public Library for more than 50 years and most recently was home to the Historical Society of Princeton from 1967 to 2015. It has been owned by Princeton University since 1877; the University supported the cost of its restoration and renovation. Most of Bainbridge House’s 1766 structure remains, including its original wall paneling, fireplace mantles and surrounds, doors and three-floor staircase. Renovation of the house encompassed preservation work, the restoration of its historic fabric and the replacement and upgrade of its systems.