GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
You are required to submit valid General Test scores from Educational Testing Service (ETS). Please note that GRE scores expire after five years and will not be available from ETS. All scores MUST be valid through December 31. We do not accept expired or self-reported test scores nor do we accept copies of test takers reports. Refer to the departmental requirements to determine if a Subject Test is required. Although the Graduate School does not have a minimum score requirement each department may have set their own.
NOTE: Effective August 1, 2011 ETS changed the format of the GRE General test. As long as your scores are valid we will accept them regardless of the new or old format.
When registering for the test, you must request that your scores be sent to Princeton University, institution code 2672. Department codes are not used at Princeton and are not required by ETS. Allow several weeks for test scores to reach the University, the Graduate Admission Office will update your submitted application checklist when the scores are received. To ensure your scores arrive in time for the review process applicants MUST take the GRE by the following dates:
- Paper based test (PBT) taken by November 9, 2013 are available by December 20, 2013
- This test is only offered in February, October & November (plan accordingly)
- Computer based test (CBT) taken by December 1, 2013
- This test is offered monthly
- Subject tests taken by October 19, 2013
- This test is only offered in paper format in September, October & April (plan accordingly)
An application is considered incomplete without these scores.