News at Princeton

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Web Stories

By the numbers: Princeton 'Profile'

The 2011-12 edition of Princeton's "Profile" publication is now available online, answering frequently asked questions about the University and highlighting many of the diverse resources available on campus, including many academic, cultural, recreational, economic and community activities.

The "Profile" also can be purchased in Princeton University's Office of Communications at 22 Chambers St., Suite 201. The following is a sampling of information contained in the publication:

  • Chartered in 1746 as the College of New Jersey, Princeton University was British North America's fourth college. In 1896, when expanded program offerings brought the College university status, it was officially renamed Princeton University in honor of its host community.
  • Fully coeducational since 1969, Princeton for the past academic year (2010-11) enrolled 7,731 students -- 5,149 undergraduates (754 of whom are New Jersey residents, representing almost every county in the state) and 2,582 graduate students (degree candidates only). The ratio of undergraduate students to faculty members (in full-time equivalents) is 6 to 1.
  • Living up to its unofficial motto, "In the Nation's Service and in the Service of All Nations," the University has educated thousands of individuals who have dedicated their lives to public service, including two U.S. presidents (Woodrow Wilson and James Madison); hundreds of U.S. and state legislators (the House of Representatives, for example, has housed a Princeton alumnus every year since it first met in 1789); and 44 governors, including 11 New Jersey governors.
  • Each year, more than 2,500 members of the student body, faculty, staff and local alumni volunteer in community service projects throughout the region.
  • Princeton's main campus in Princeton Borough and Princeton Township consists of approximately 9 million square feet of space in more than 180 buildings on 500 acres. Including Springdale Golf Course, Lake Carnegie and roads for which the University owns the right-of-way, Princeton owns 759 acres in the township and has 214 acres in the borough.
  • The University, with approximately 5,940 benefits-eligible employees, is one of the region's largest private employers. It plays a major role in the educational, cultural and economic life of the area by bringing 815,000 visitors and approximately $2 billion in economic activity to the region.

Back To Top