March 13, 2002: Memorials

Thomas Allsopp ’39

Tom died Sept. 13, 2001, in Mashpee, Mass. A malignant brain tumor had been discovered in June, but he was back home recovering when he was suddenly hospitalized for five days, then in a nursing home for five days before he quickly and quietly died.

Right after graduation Tom joined the Prudential Insurance Co. and, except for WWII service as an Army captain, remained with Prudential until his retirement in 1976. As senior vice president for Northeast operations, he oversaw the opening of the Prudential Center in 1964. He was a trustee of Boston U., chair of the New England Rhodes Scholarship Selection Committee, and regional chair of the executive board of the Boy Scouts of America. In retirement he was awarded an endowed chair to teach at the U. of Akron School of Business.

As our class president 1974-79, he led us to our 40th reunion, and at our 50th he played his Triangle trumpet. His first wife, Peggy, died in 1998. Their three daughters, Carroll, Barbara, and Susan, survive as does his second wife, Evelyn Bruno, four grandchildren and a great-grandson. With them we give thanks for the good life he led.

The Class of 1939


Charles William Boozan ’40

Charlie died Sept. 5, 2001, peacefully at his home in Sea Girt, N.J. He was 82.

From Elizabeth, N.J., he graduated from the Pingry School in 1936. He swam competitively at Princeton, attaining All-America status his senior year. He was a member of Quadrangle Club. Charlie roomed his senior year with Al Vande Weghe, Bob McEldowney, George Cadgene, all ’40, Dick Hough ’39, and George Knauer ’41.

He graduated from Cornell Medical School in 1943. As a doctor, he was an Army captain in the South Pacific in WWII. After discharge, he was a resident in ophthalmology at Bellevue Hospital, NYC, then attending ophthalmologist at the Elizabeth General Medical Center, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, and Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elizabeth, NJ. He retired in 1990.

Charlie continued a major interest in Princeton and our class, serving as reunion chair and member of the class council. He also traveled on a number of class trips.

He is survived by his wife, Mona, three sons, all doctors, William ’77, John ’79, and James ’81, seven grandchildren, and his sister, Doris Lynch. To this entire family, the class extends its sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1940



Ev died on July 9, 2001. At Princeton he was nicknamed “The Beaver,” Beav for short, because of his avid study habits. Beav highlighted an academic career with a thesis that graphically warned of the communication limitations of the AM radio band; that stimulated research that developed the alternative FM radio opportunities. Junior and senior years he roomed with Herb Epstein and he coedited the Nassau Lit with Charlie Waugh.

During WWII he served in the Air Force as a key cryptologist on Guam in the period leading up to the dropping of the A-bomb.

He later founded QMO Sales Inc., a radio/television company specializing in product development and TV advertising. Beav retired in 1980 and spent 21 years with his wife, Maggie, commuting between their homes in Florida and Mt. Pocono, Pa.

He leaves behind Maggie and his sons, Tom and Don, to whom the class extends its sincere condolences.

The Class of 1940



John died at his Omaha, Neb., home on July 21, 2000, from health problems stemming from a stroke in 1996.

John was a native of Minneapolis, preparing for Princeton at the Blake School. At Princeton, he earned numerals on the hockey team, was a member of Cottage Club, and roomed with Ted Nevins and Ralph Wyer.

Early in life John showed an aptitude for sports, competing in the hockey Junior Olympics. He was a lifelong golfer, hunter, and fisherman; in his later Omaha years, he “saw red” as a loyal U. of Nebraska fan. Princeton shared his loyalties, benefiting from his service as PAA-PC treasurer and president.

In Omaha at the age of 29, he was reported to be the youngest bank president in the US, growing the First Natl. of Omaha from $100 million to over $11 billion in assets. He started the First Charge Card in 1953 (later to become Visa). Other bankers described John “as a pioneer in the credit-card business, one of the founding fathers, a key supporter of economic development.”

John is survived by his wife of 61 years, Libby, son Bruce ’65, daughter Anne Pape, and five grandchildren. The class extends its belated condolences to his family.

The Class of 1940



Maj. Bishop White AF Ret., 83, died of emphysema Oct. 13, 2001 in the Philippines. Bish’s father, Bishop Sr., died when Bish was two. The family moved from Hartford to Kansas City with his stepfather, Bevis Longstreth ’15, and then back to Princeton where Bish attended Princeton Country Day and Lawrenceville, graduating from Princeton with a major in English.

His many friends will remember his upbeat personality, whether it be on the football field, the wrestling mat, or in the Triangle Show with his marimba playing in the swing trio with Bob Cutler and Bob Piper. Bish was art editor of the Tiger magazine and a columnist for the Prince, and a member of Cottage Club and the ROTC.

During WWII he flew P-39s to the Russians in Alaska and over the “Hump” to China, trained pilots in the Korean War, and, at the age of 50, in 1968, flew Otters and ’copters in Vietnam.

Bish was a writer/photographer for Life magazine in NYC, then started his own lumber company and advertising business in Phoenix, Ariz.

He is survived by his wife, Mila, sons Bishop III, Niles, and Jason, daughter Theodora, two sisters, Peg Longstreth Bayer and Dr. Dorothy Woods, a brother, Bevis Longstreth, and eight grandchildren.

The Class of 1940


Charles Benjamin Brush Jr. ’42

Ben died July 22, 2001, after complications from a stroke, in Port Chester, N.Y. He had retired in 1983 from Stroheim & Romann, a New York distributor of decorative fabrics, as senior vice president and treasurer. His career, with classmate Frank Judson, spanned 33 years, following seven years with Irving Trust Co. in NYC as assistant secretary.

Preparing at Exeter, Ben majored in psychology and was a member of Cannon Club. During WWII he served four years in the Army Signal Corps, as a lst lieutenant in the European theater.

Ben was always involved in his industry and his community and was dedicated to Princeton. A second-generation Tiger, he used his financial acumen as treasurer of the class and of several major reunions. He was president and director of the Credit Associates of the Decorative Trades, and treasurer and director of the Decorative Fabric Assn. His many civic contributions included serving 12 years with the town of Mamaroneck as councilman and on the board of Visiting Nurse Services in Westchester County for 13 years.

To his wife of 58 years, Joan, to his sons, Ben III and Peter, and to his four grandchildren (one a third-generation Tiger), the class offers its most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942



John died Oct. 3, 2001, at his home in Easton, Md. He retired in 1972 after nearly 30 years with Creole Petroleum in Venezuela.

Preparing for Princeton at the Hun School, John left before graduation to join the Army, and was sent to the Field Artillery training, lst Regiment Center at Fort Bragg. Upon discharge he resumed his studies in law and economics, graduating from Lafayette College. He was an outstanding baseball, football, and hockey player in high school and college, and was scouted to play with the Brooklyn Dodgers, but opted for the business world.

As an executive in the industrial relations department of Standard Oil of NJ in 1944 and 1945, he was sent to Venezuela to work for their subsidiary, Creole Petroleum Corp., where he remained until he retired in 1972.

To his wife, Esther, to his sons, Dean, John, Lawrence, and Roger, to his three grandchildren, and to his great-grandchild, the class extends its most sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1942


Floyd Beachley Main ’50

After a brief struggle with cancer, “Beach” died peacefully on July 29, 2001, at his home in Fullerton, Calif.

Born in Frederick, Md., Beach entered Princeton from the Mercersburg Academy. He majored in biology and was a member of NROTC. Beach received his MD from Johns Hopkins U. in 1954, and did his surgical residency at Vanderbilt U. Hospital. His residency was interrupted by service as an assistant medical officer on the USS Valley Forge from 1956-58.

In 1972 he moved to California, where he began practicing thoracic and cardiovascular surgery in Anaheim. He continued his practice there until illness forced his retirement last June. Our 25th yearbook credited Beach with 22 papers dealing with his specialty.

Beach had a lifelong love of sports, with his top batting average leading the Campus Club softball team to the 1950 university championship. He enjoyed gardening and stamp collecting, and even took a session at road racing school.

Beach is survived by his wife, Kathy, sons Charles, F. Beachley Jr., and Russell, daughters Karen and Liz, and four grandchildren, to whom the class extends its condolences.

The Class of 1950


William R. Miner ’54

The class was saddened to learn of the death of Bill Miner on Oct. 18, 2001. Bill prepared for Princeton at the Hill School. At Princeton, he was an English major, a member of Key and Seal Club, the Jazz and Fairfield Clubs, and Theatre Intime. After Princeton, he received his doctorate in counseling psychology from Teachers College at Columbia U. He also graduated from the Center for Modern Psychoanalytic Studies. He was a lifelong Manhattan resident, where he practiced his profession. He maintained a passion for jazz, and was a noted collector and discographer.

The class extends its personal sympathy to his wife, Anne, a daughter, Reeve Washburn, grand-daughter Faye, his son, Neal, and his two brothers, Henry and Thomas.

The Class of 1954


Rhys Evans ’62

Rhys died peacefully on July 18, 2001 at his home in Dorset, Vt., after a two-year battle with cancer. The overflowing attendance at his funeral in Manchester was a testament to the esteem in which he was held in the local Manchester/Dorset community, and to his close ties with classmates.

Rhys was born on Sept. 9, 1939 in New York, but lived most of his life in Dorset. He came to Princeton from the Taft School. Rhys was a history major, member of Charter Club, and the managing editor of The Daily Princetonian. After graduation, Rhys attended Columbia Law School and after a short stint in New York returned to Vermont and opened his own law practice. He married his second wife, Kathie Marron-Wall, in 1984.

Community was important to Rhys. He was Dorset town moderator for 15 years, member of the Dorset school board, president of the board for the local high school, president of the Dorset Players, and usher of the Zion Episcopal Church in Manchester. The Vermont Bar Assn. also recognized Rhys for his pro bono work. Rhys was the moving force in the founding of a summer community in Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom some 30 years ago.

The class extends its deepest condolences to his wife, two children, two stepchildren, and friends.

The Class of 1962


Alan Michael Huberman ’62

Alan Michael Huberman died on Jan. 4, 2001 in Geneva, Switzerland, after a long illness.

Mike came to Princeton from Newton HS in Newton, Mass. At Princeton he majored in Romance languages and literature, graduating magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. He was a member of Cap and Gown and roomed with Bill Levinson. After Wilson and Fulbright fellowships, Mike earned his doctorate in comparative literature from Harvard in 1970.

In 1972 Mike became professor of education at the U. of Geneva. There he achieved international recognition for his groundbreaking research in education policy, school reform, and applied educational theory. He authored many books, including Quantitative Data Analysis, a required text today in many graduate education programs worldwide.

He became a consultant to the World Bank, UNESCO, the OECD, the US HEW Dept., the Italian and French Ministries of Education, and many other public and private entities. From 1991 to 1995, he was visiting professor at the Graduate School of Education at Harvard. In 1995 he received an honorary doctorate from the U. of Louvain, Belgium. Mike will be remembered by his peers as a brilliant and innovative educator and scholar, and by his many friends for his keen wit, infectious laughter, and loyalty.

Mike is survived by his wife, Laurie, and four sons, Yvan, Anthony, Ben, and David. Our deepest sympathies are extended to each of them.

The Class of 1962


Esteban E. Sierra Corbet ’84

Esteban died of dengue-related septicemia May 25, 2001, in Manati, PR. He was 39. He was raised in Caguas, PR, where he prepared for Princeton at Colegio de Notre Dame. Esteban started as an ’83, but took a year off to pursue one of his lifetime loves: teaching.

Esteban earned his PhD in biochemistry at SUNY Stonybrook in 1990. He and Citlali A. Bacmeister ’84 were married that year. Next, he pursued two postdoctoral degrees, both in cancer research. The first was at the U. of Minnesota. The second began at Medical College of Va. and finished at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, where he then became an instructor. He was well respected as a scientist and liked by his peers.

In 1998 Esteban left academia to work in industry as a technical support scientist at Abbott Labs in his native Puerto Rico. Despite his tight schedule, he taught an occasional science class to local elementary school children.

His passions, in addition to teaching, were Latin American literature, of which he had a great knowledge; politics, particularly where Puerto Rico was involved; and gardening — his favorites were home-grown tomatoes.

He is survived by his wife; his son, Diego E. Sierra; his mother, Sylvia Corbet; his father, Esteban Sierra Nieves; his sister, Sylvia Kaercher Sierra; and his three half-brothers.

Anyone wishing to make a contribution in his name is asked to give to United Way or to Special Olympics.

The Class of 1984

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary