- Directed by Yu Xie, a prominent sociologist who joined Princeton in 2015, the Center on Contemporary China was established to advance the study of contemporary China at Princeton and to provide substantive analysis from social science perspectives of the dramatic sociological shifts taking place in the country today.
- Carles Boix, Robert Garrett Professor of Politics and Public Affairs, leads the Comparative Political Economy Research Initiative to think about the interaction between politics and economics, democracy and markets, in today’s world.
- The Climate Change and History Initiative, directed by John Haldon, is an interdisciplinary project that will investigate the impact of climactic changes across the last two millennia in the eastern Mediterrancean basin and eastern Eurasian steppe. Through a series of workshops and seminar discussions, the project will bring together scholars working in all the relevant scientific and social scientific disciplines.
- The Project on Democracy and Development, under the direction of Professors Atul Kohli and Deborah Yashar, is a longstanding effort to promote research and teaching on the intersection between development and politics at Princeton.
- The Workshop on Arab Political Development, directed by Professor Amaney Jamal, fosters research and learning on the political obstacles and opportunities facing the contemporary Arab world.
- Conferences and workshops in international and regional studies are led by Princeton faculty working on a wide range of topics in fields as diverse as theater, environmental studies, and politics.