Please check this page regularly for announcements. If you have an item you wish to post, please e-mail the information to Gayle Brodsky. The Department provides this bulletin board as a public service; publication here does not imply endorsement of these activities, events or organizations. The Department will post items at its discretion, and may edit items for length or format.
Bobst Center for Peace & Justice Undergraduate Research Fellow
Politics majors with a serious interest in supporting faculty research are needed to assist Department of Politics faculty members as part of the Bobst Center for Peace and Justice Program. The work may include but is not limited to library and/or web research, data collection, data entry, annotated bibliographies, proofreading, cataloging faculty libraries, copying or scanning documents. Quality of work and commitment will be expected from students who accept these positions.
5-7 hours per week is typical; work schedules are flexible and to be determined between the student and the assigned faculty member. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Bobst Center Undergraduate Research Fellow and attach a cover letter, resume, internal transcript and availability. Ability to read and speak Arabic is a plus. Apply by September 21, 2016.
- When: 9/26/2016-6/1/2017
- Department: POL-Politics
- all academic year-long
- 5-7 hours per week
- 5 openings
- Minimum Pay Rate: $12 per hour
- Location: ON CAMPUS
- Excellent Writing Skills
- Good Customer Service Skills
- Microsoft Office Experience
- Office Work Experience
- Research Experience
Questions should be directed to Wendy Brill at: email@example.com.
The Foresight Project is Seeking Participants
The Foresight Project is a tournament designed to understand tournament design and the factors that make people more accurate. If you are a politically-engaged student who wants to become a better forecaster, you should find this project interesting and fun! The skills gained could be very helpful if you are thinking about a career in the intelligence community, the economic sector, or public policy.
We are recruiting for the first of three tournaments (2016-2017), starting on October 1 and lasting for about 8 months. Participants will:
- Complete a 45-minute battery of political and psychological tests to predict forecasting accuracy.
- Take a 10 minute training module about forecasting accuracy.
- Make predictions about questions throughout the year whenever you wish! We will post a few questions online each week, for example, "Will Donald Trump win the 2016 US Presidential Election?" Select at least 30 questions and update them until the question closes.
- Get regular feedback.
- The top 10% of forecasters will be featured on the Foresight Leaderboard.
- The top 2% of participants will each be awarded a $500 Amazon gift card (roughly 50 people).
- The top 2% of participants will be featured in The Washington Post, Monkey Cage.
- 100 other people will have a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card (with more accurate forecasters having better chances of winning).
- 200 other people will have a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card.
If you are interested, please go to: http://www.foresightproj.com.
Princeton Speaks MATLAB: September 28
There will be a special kick-off event titled "Princeton Speaks MATLAB" on Wednesday, September 28 from 4:30-7:30 pm in 120 Lewis Science Library, Washington Road and Ivy Lane. The newly-formed user group hopes to ignite participation and build a support community among MATLAB users.
This event is open to students, graduate students, postdocs and researchers at Princeton and its affiliates. There will be presentations from faculty and researchers, poster sessions, open discussions and a keynote talk from MathWorks.
Princeton Speaks MATLAB is organized and sponsored by the Princeton Institute for Computational Science & Engineering (PICSciE) and OIT’s Research Computing.
· Electoral Analysis
· Optimal Learning in MATLAB
· Wavelet and Spectral Analysis
· Statistics & Machine Learning
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.