Bruce G. Blair
Bruce Blair, Research Scholar, joined the Program on Science and Global Security in May, 2013. His principal research interests are in technical and policy steps on the path toward the verifiable elimination of nuclear weapons – global zero – with a focus on deep bilateral nuclear arms reductions, multilateral arms negotiations, and de-alerting of nuclear arsenals.
Prior to his appointment at Princeton University, Blair was the founder and president of the World Security Institute and helped establish the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting at WSI. He is the Founding Board Chairman of the Center on Global Interests, a nonprofit organization focusing on U.S.-Russian relations. He is also the Co-Founder of Global Zero, an international movement seeking the universal elimination of nuclear weapons, and the principal author of its policy reports. He currently serves as a member of the U.S. Secretary of State’s International Security Advisory Board, to which he was appointed in 2011.
- Strategic Command and Control (Brookings, 1985), http://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Command-Control-Redefining-Nuclear/dp/0815709811\ , winner of the 1986 Edgar S. Furniss Award for its contribution to the study of national security
- Crisis Stability and Nuclear War (Oxford, 1988; co-editor with Kurt Gottfried) http://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Stability-Nuclear-Kurt-Gottfried/dp/0195051475
- The Logic of Accidental Nuclear War (Brookings, 1993) http://www.amazon.com/The-Logic-Accidental-Nuclear-War/dp/0815709838/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372360898&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Logic+of+Accidental+Nuclear+War
- Countdown to Zero (2010) - a documentary film on nuclear weapons, released in 2010 at the Sundance and Cannes Film Festival and shown in theaters around the world. http://www.takepart.com/zero
U.S. Congress, House Committee on Armed Services, Subcommittee on Strategic Forces, "The U.S. Nuclear Deterrent: What are the Requirements for a Strong Deterrent in an Era of Defense Sequester?", March 19, 2013
- "De-Alerting and Stabilizing the World's Nuclear Force Postures", Global Zero Commission on Nuclear Risk Reduction, April 2015. http://www.globalzero.org/files/global_zero_commission_on_nuclear_risk_reduction_report_0.pdf or local pdf file
- "Modernizing U.S. Nuclear Strategy, Force Structure and Posture," Global Zero U.S. Nuclear Policy Commission Report, Global Zero, May 2012, http://www.globalzero.org/files/gz_us_nuclear_policy_commission_report.pdf or local pdf file
- "One Hundred Nuclear Wars: Stable Deterrence between the United States and Russia at Reduced Nuclear Force Levels Off Alert in the Presence of Limited Missile Defenses, Victor Esin, Matthew Mckinzie, Valery Yarynich, Pavel Zolotarev,"Science & Global Security 19, no. 3 (2011): 167-194. local pdf file
- “Can Disarmament Work,” Foreign Affairs , co-authored with Matt Brown, Richard Burt, Josef Joff and James W. Davis, July/August 2011. http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/67913/bruce-blair-matt-brown-and-richard-burt-josef-joffe-and-james-w/can-disarmament-work
- "De-Alerting Strategic Forces," in Reykavik Revisited: Steps Toward a World Free of Nuclear Weapons, George P. Shultz, Sidney D. Drell, and James E. Goodby, eds. (Stanford, CA: Hoover Institution Press, 2008), http://www.hoover.org/publications/books/8143
- "The Logic of Intelligence Failure," Forum on Physics and Society, American Physical Society, April 2004, http://www.aps.org/units/fps/newsletters/2004/april/article3.html local pdf file
- “Smaller and Safer: A New Plan For Nuclear Postures,” Foreign Affairs , co-authored with Victor Esin, Matthew McKinzie, Valery Yarynich and Pavel Zolotarev (Council on Foreign Relations, September-October 2010), http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/66540/bruce-blair-victor-esin-matthew-mckinzie-valery-yarynich-and-pav/smaller-and-safer.