Spanish Language Placement Test
Incoming freshmen can take the Department's Spanish Placement Test online between June 19 and August 22, 2013 (the online test will close at 2pm EST on the 22nd). The purpose of the test is to place students in the appropriate language courses.
Students who scored a 5 on the Spanish Language AP test, or 760 or higher on the Spanish Language SAT II test, have satisfied the University's foreign language requirement. A score of 7 on the higher-level IB test or a grade of A on the British A-level exam also fulfills the requirement. We encourage these students to consider taking a Spanish course at the 200 level or above. These students also qualify to take Portuguese 108.
Students who did not take an AP or SAT II test, or earned scores below 5 on the AP or below 760 on the SAT II, should take the online Placement Test. Based on the results, students will be placed in SPA 101, 103, 105 or 108.
Students whose performance on the online Placement Test indicates that they are proficient in Spanish and may be eligible to place out of the foreign language requirement, have to take a second, brief exam during Orientation week, to verify that they have satisfied the foreign language requirement. Please contact Catalina Méndez Vallejo.
To Take the 2013 Spanish Language Placement Test
Class of 2017, follow these steps to take the test:
- Click on link http://blackboard.princeton.edu.
- Log in using your student ID and password.
- Click the orange Courses tab.
- Search for SPA_LPT2013.
Those not in the Class of 2017 who wish to take the test, follow these steps:
- Log in to Blackboard (https://blackboard.princeton.edu/).
- Click the Courses tab and open the Language Placement Tests folder in the Course Catalog area.
- Click the double-down arrows next to the name of the language you want to test in, then click Enroll, Submit, and OK. (Enrollment is only available 9AM June 19 through 2PM August 22, or other announced make-up dates and times).
- You will now be in the exam site. You are not required to take the exam immediately; you can return to the exam site at any time during the testing period by following the link that will appear in your My Courses (sortable) module. Do not use the enrollment process to access a site in which you have already enrolled.
Portuguese Language Placement
Portuguese language placement is handled on a one-on-one basis; there is no Portuguese language placement test. For more information, please contact Prof. Nicola Cooney.