Addington Palace

related topics
{build, building, house}
{church, century, christian}
{son, year, death}
{area, community, home}
{company, market, business}
{city, large, area}

Addington Palace is a 18th century mansion in Addington near Croydon, south London, England. The original manor house called 'Addington Place' was built about the 16th century. The Addington estate was owned by the Leigh family until early 18th century. Sir John Leigh died without heirs and his estates went to distant relatives who eventually sold to Barlow Trecothick He had been raised in Boston, Massachusetts, and became a merchant there, he then moved to London still trading as a merchant, later became Lord Mayor and then an MP. He bought the estate and then became Lord Mayor of the City of London. He built a new house, designed by Robert Mylne in the Palladian style. A country mansion with single-storey wings. He died before it was completed and it was inherited by his heir James Ivers who had to take the surname Trecothick in order to inherit. James continued the work on the house, having the substantial grounds and gardens landscaped by Lancelot "Capability" Brown. Due to financial difficulties James Trecothick had to sell the estate in 1802. The next owners were also in financial trouble and sold it by Act of Parliament in 1807.This enabled the mansion to be purchased for the Archbishops of Canterbury, since nearby Croydon Palace had become inconvenient. It was now called 'Addington Farm' by the Archbishops. It was the residence for six Archbishops of Canterbury. The archbishops made further changes and enlarged the building, work on the building was overseen by Richard Norman Shaw.

The palace became the official second residence of six Archbishops:

All except Benson are buried in St Mary's Church and churchyard in Addington.

The 'Palace' was sold in 1897 to Mr English, a diamond merchant from South Africa. After his death, the house in World War I was taken over by the Red Cross and became a fever hospital, but eventually it came into the hands of the County Borough of Croydon in 1930. In 1953, it was leased to the Royal School of Church Music and served as head office for its music publishing operation, as well as serving as a residential college and choir school until 1996, when a private company took it over for development as a conference and banqueting venue, health farm and country club. It is used extensively for weddings.

It is surrounded by a park and golf courses, and its gardens are still largely in their original design. Much of the grounds have been leased by golf clubs and the exclusive Bishops Walk housing development was built on one part also.

See also

Full article ▸

related documents
Royal Pavilion
Blickling Hall
Blithfield Hall
Dean Cemetery
Casa Milà
Tithe barn
Pembroke Castle
Hartshead
Wemyss Castle
Chysauster Ancient Village
Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Carn Euny
Esholt
Charles Joseph Bonaparte
Paxton House
Nostell
Calke Abbey
Dymock
Uffizi
Mission La Purísima Concepción
List of windmills in the United Kingdom
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Postmaster
Walton Hall, West Yorkshire
Mission San Juan Bautista
Thomas Banks
John Rennie the Elder
Petts Wood
Haddiscoe Cut
Liskeard and Looe Union Canal