Anderson, Indiana

related topics
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{company, market, business}
{school, student, university}
{@card@, make, design}
{land, century, early}
{county, mile, population}
{son, year, death}
{group, member, jewish}
{car, race, vehicle}
{town, population, incorporate}
{township, household, population}
{day, year, event}
{household, population, female}
{rate, high, increase}
{village, small, smallsup}
{work, book, publish}

Anderson is a city in Madison County, Indiana, United States, and is part of the Indianapolis metropolitan area. The city is the county seat of Madison County.[3] It is the principal city of the Anderson, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area which encompasses Madison county. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 59,734. Anderson is the headquarters of the Church of God (Anderson) and home of Anderson University, which is affiliated with that denomination. Highlights of the city include the historic Paramount Theatre and the Gruenewald Historic House.

Contents

History

Prior to the organization of Madison County, William Conner entered the land upon which Anderson is located. Conner later sold the ground to John and Sarah Berry, who donated 32 acres (129,000 m²) of their land to Madison County on the condition that the county seat would be moved from Pendleton to Anderson. John Berry laid out the first plat of Anderson on November 7, 1827. In 1828 the seat of justice was moved from Pendleton to Anderson.

The city is named for Chief William Anderson, whose mother was a Delaware Indian (Lenape) and whose father was of Swedish descent. Chief Anderson's Indian name was Kikthawenund (spelled in a variety of ways) meaning "making a noise" or "causing to crack."[citation needed] The Delaware village was known as Anderson's Town, though the Moravian Missionaries called it "The Heathen Town Four Miles Away." Anderson was also known as Andersonton before being formally organized as Anderson.

Introduction of internal improvements by the Mammoth Internal Improvement Act caused a growth in the population in 1837. In December, 1838, Anderson was incorporated as a town with 350 inhabitants. The Central Canal, a branch of the Wabash and Erie Canal, was planned to come through Anderson. Work continued on the canal during 1838 and the beginning of 1839, but work on the canal was soon suspended by the state following the Panic of 1837. The town again became a sleepy village until 1849 when it was incorporated a second time as a town. Many new commercial ventures located around the Courthouse Square.

Full article ▸

related documents
San Benito, Texas
Marshall, Minnesota
Warren, Minnesota
Bonham, Texas
Pittsburg, Kansas
Sulphur Springs, Texas
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Granite Shoals, Texas
Emporia, Kansas
Cameron, Missouri
Eastpointe, Michigan
Van Buren, Arkansas
Sikeston, Missouri
Gresham, Oregon
Hanahan, South Carolina
Richmond, Texas
New Ulm, Minnesota
Columbia Heights, Minnesota
Seguin, Texas
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Waseca, Minnesota
Ironton, Ohio
Montague, Michigan
Maryville, Missouri
Medina, Washington
Johnson City, Tennessee
South Gate, California
North Liberty, Iowa
West St. Paul, Minnesota
Sauk Rapids, Minnesota