Ardsley, New York

related topics
{household, population, female}
{build, building, house}
{area, community, home}
{village, small, smallsup}
{land, century, early}
{area, part, region}
{son, year, death}

Ardsley is a village in Westchester County, New York, United States. The population was 4,269 at the 2000 census.

The Village of Ardsley is located in the Town of Greenburgh.

The Ardsley post office serves the entire village of Ardsley plus some nearby unincorporated sections of the Town of Greenburgh.

The Ardsley Union Free School District consists of the entire Village of Ardsley plus parts of the Village of Dobbs Ferry and Town of Greenburgh. Every location served by the Ardsley post office is in the Ardsley Union Free School District.

The current mayor of Ardsley is Jay Leon.

Contents

History

Phillipse's heir and grandson, a loyalist, fled his holdings during the American Revolution. The entirety of the estate was seized by the new government, and was sold in portions to patriots who had been tenants of the Phillipse family.

The village of Ashford was formed from some of these portions, named for the main road. Notable businesses included a blacksmith, and a sawmill and grist mill both situated upon the Saw Mill River. Three pickle factories were in operation by the Civil War, and in the 1880s the construction of the Putnam Railroad and New Croton Aqueduct led to a population boom which saw the installation of electric lighting and improved roads. Due to the presence of an earlier Ashford Post Office in New York state, the town took the name "Ardsley" after the name of a local baron's estate, and the first village postmaster was appointed in 1883.

The renaming of Ardsley is attributed to Cyrus West Field, who owned 780 acres (3.2 km2) of land lying between Broadway (Dobbs Ferry) and Sprain Brook (Greenburgh) named Ardsley Park. He had named Ardsley Park after the English birthplace of his immigrant ancestor, Zechariah Field (East Ardsley, West Riding, Yorkshire, England), who immigrated to the U.S. in 1629. The story told growing up in Ardsley by elderly neighbors is that Cyrus W. Field agreed to use his influence to get the post office established and in return, the village would be renamed Ardsley. The information about Zechariah Field and Ardsley Park came from Diane Druin Gravlee, great-great-granddaughter of Cyrus W. Field.[1]

Incorporated in 1896, Ardsley would continue to grow at a steady pace, until a fire destroyed the village center in 1914. This led to the reconstruction of several buildings, and the establishment of a fire department in the former schoolhouse. Two more population booms would follow, the first spanning the time between the end of the first World War and the beginning of the Depression, and the second following World War II. Public High School was established in 1912 and an addition was added on in 1925. The School did not suit the needs of the growing population so the current High School was established in 1957 with its first graduating class on 1958. The old high school was converted into a Middle School until in 1971 the 5.5 million dollar middle school was built. The Concord Road School was built in 1953 with an addition in 1966.

Full article ▸

related documents
Grand Cane, Louisiana
Rising Sun, Maryland
Johnson City, New York
Luke, Maryland
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Capron, Oklahoma
Carpentersville, Illinois
Volant, Pennsylvania
Orangeville, Illinois
Albers, Illinois
Ivins, Utah
Tutwiler, Mississippi
Wachapreague, Virginia
Raleigh, Mississippi
Orleans, Vermont
Franklinton, North Carolina
Ransom, Illinois
La Plata, Maryland
Keeler, California
Tuckahoe, Westchester County, New York
Delmar, Maryland
Orange, Virginia
Crewe, Virginia
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Orange Lake, New York
Arlington, Illinois
Cross Plains, Texas
Tucker, Georgia
Grant Town, West Virginia
Wallace, Indiana