Aurora, Missouri

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}

Aurora is a city in Lawrence County, Missouri, United States. The population was 7,014 at the 2000 census.

Between 1911 and 1920, the virulently Anti-Catholic newspaper The Menace was published in Aurora by W. F Phelps and Earl McClure. It achieved a national circulation of over one million, according to the March 1932 issue of American Mercury.

In the 1950s, there were two elementary schools in Aurora. Lowell School served the North Side (north of the railroad tracks) and Franklin School served the South Side (south of the railroad tracks). Teachers at Lowell School during that time included Miss Gardner, 1st Grade; Mrs. Lamen and Mrs. Holder, 2nd Grade; Miss Thompson, 3d Grade; Mrs. Eaton, 4th Grade; Mrs. Williams, 5th Grade; and Mr. Ray, 6th Grade. During the school year of 1957-58, a family named Perry, who were missionaries to what was then British Hondorus, spent their furlough year in Aurora, where Rev. Perry had family. His daughter, Jeannette, attended Lowell. Some other Lowell students that year included Freddie Barnes, Karen Ormsby, Elsie Dowell, Mary Jean Dobbins, Stanley Eden, Charles Bowling, Dennis Baldwin, Terry Walker, Stephen Conn, Danny Metcalf, Dennis Williams, Bobby and Johnny Beatty, Linda Hall, Ronnie Henson, Earl Van Beeck,Linda Dunning and Mike McCullough.

Also during that time, Finis King was mayor, while a city councilman for the North Side was named Elderbeck. Ed Jaque and Herman Jackson, respectively, owned the only two stores on the North Side. Kenneth Kelsey was the medical doctor in practice on the North Side. The Methodist Church was located on the South Side, just off the public square, and the Pastor was Rev. Carlton Knight. On the main business street downtown, on the South Side, the Toff family owned a general store, and Mr. Neimeyer had a shoe repair business. The Sullivans owned a jewelry store. Dryer Shoe Store was also located there. Eldon McNatt had an insurance and real estate business on the square. There was a Wooten Drug Store. Dr. Brown was one of the local dentists. Mr. Pierce owned the lumber company. Mr. and Mrs. Everett Hall did a great deal of work with the local Boy Scout program. Bob Beatty worked at the U.S. Post Office as custodian. Virgil L. Walker, Jr. was the operator at the Frisco Railroad Depot. Fred Tucker was the projectionist at the Princess Theater. Fred McCullough worked for Empire District Electric Company. Junior Gaines worked at the Western Auto Store, which was also on the main business street on the South Side.

Both the Frisco Railroad (now part of the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe) and the Missouri Pacific (now part of the Union Pacific) had depots in Aurora, and did a big business there then.

The local newspaper was, and still is, The Aurora Advertiser.


Contents

Geography

Aurora is located at 36°58′12″N 93°43′14″W / 36.97°N 93.72056°W / 36.97; -93.72056 (36.969956, -93.720574)[3].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.5 square miles (14.2 km²), of which, 5.5 square miles (14.2 km²) of it is land and 0.18% is water.

Demographics

Full article ▸

related documents
Culloden, Georgia
Bridgeport, Washington
Adams, Oregon
Progreso, Texas
Sullivan City, Texas
Gibbon, Nebraska
Morrill, Kansas
Nicholls, Georgia
Centreville, Alabama
Davenport, North Dakota
Novice, Texas
Mountain City, Texas
Highland, Utah
Carpio, North Dakota
Dixon, Kentucky
Wynnewood, Oklahoma
Wyatt, Missouri
Easton, Missouri
Kelliher, Minnesota
Gackle, North Dakota
Mitchell, Nebraska
Moxee, Washington
McCamey, Texas
Lyndon, Kansas
Central City, Nebraska
Hamilton, Georgia
Buffalo, Missouri
Collinwood, Tennessee
East Prairie, Missouri
Wing, North Dakota