Batesville, Indiana

related topics
{household, population, female}
{land, century, early}
{area, community, home}
{build, building, house}
{game, team, player}
{city, population, household}
{rate, high, increase}
{city, large, area}
{town, population, incorporate}
{area, part, region}
{style, bgcolor, rowspan}
{county, mile, population}
{service, military, aircraft}

Batesville is a city in Franklin and Ripley counties in the U.S. state of Indiana. The population was 6,033 at the 2000 census. Both the Batesville Casket Company and the Hill-Rom hospital bed manufacturer are headquartered in this town. Batesville is noted for its central location between Indianapolis, Indiana; Cincinnati, Ohio; and Louisville, Kentucky.




Batesville was founded by George H. Dunn, owner the John Callahan Trust Company. The company bought land and created new towns along rail lines that it began since Dunn was president of the Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railroad. Joshua Bates, who platted the town of Batesville, is thought to be the source of the name. On November 1, 1853, the first train from Cincinnati to Indianapolis passed through Batesville.


Once the railway opened, Dunn and Bates constructed more buildings. George Sims laid out Batesville’s first addition in 1858. The following year, German immigrant Henry Boehringer became Batesville's first major builder. A three-story building with a basement on East Pearl Street (formally known as Broadway Street) became known as the Boehringer Hall because of the dance floor on the third story. The Catholic congregation used the basement before they had built their church.

Between 1860 and 1870, Boehringer built a row of apartments and homes on the north side of Batesville on Boehringer Street. Along with building the apartments and housing, Boehringer purchased the property lot where the Ward School now stands. In 1863 Conrad Rapp purchased numerous property lots on east Broadway Street and bought Louis Walter's gristmill. Louis Walter was the first miller in Batesville and had owned the mill since 1858. In 1865, John F. Brinkman built the Sherman House as a hotel. The building was named after General W. T. Sherman, who had won the final victory for the Union Army in his "march to the sea."

Full article ▸

related documents
Dixmont, Maine
Iowa, Louisiana
Solon, Maine
Accident, Maryland
Shapleigh, Maine
Chesterfield, Massachusetts
Paris, Maine
Minot, Maine
South Thomaston, Maine
Frankfort, Maine
Acton, Maine
Sebago, Maine
Dayton, Maine
Lovell, Maine
Georgetown, Maine
Lake Providence, Louisiana
Ninety Six, South Carolina
Fonda, New York
Concord, Massachusetts
Painted Post, New York
Tumacacori-Carmen, Arizona
Port Royal, Virginia
Isle au Haut, Maine
Madbury, New Hampshire
Edisto Beach, South Carolina
Waimea, Hawaii County, Hawaii
Snow Hill, Maryland
Fairmont, North Carolina
Elverson, Pennsylvania
Denmark, Maine