Bedford, Ohio

related topics
{household, population, female}
{city, population, household}
{build, building, house}
{car, race, vehicle}
{game, team, player}
{area, part, region}
{city, large, area}
{area, community, home}
{school, student, university}

Bedford is a city in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States. The population was 14,214 at the 2000 census. It is an eastern suburb of Cleveland.

Contents

Geography

Bedford is located at 41°23′33″N 81°32′04″W / 41.392404°N 81.534441°W / 41.392404; -81.534441.[4]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.4 square miles (13.9 km2), all of it land.

History

1797 - Bedford Township is founded, and is part of the Connecticut Western Reserve. (Bedford Township existed as a government until 1951, when the City of Bedford Heights, the Village of Oakwood, and the Village of Walton Hills are established. The Village of Maple Heights left Bedford Township in 1915.)

1816 - The Taylor Chair Company is established along Tinkers Creek, by Benjamin Franklin Fitch.

1837 - The Village of Bedford is founded, and consists of what would be the geographic center of Bedford Township.

1861 - 1865 Bedford sends over 140 of its sons to fight in the Civil War.

1830s - 1890s - Industries spring up along Tinkers' Creek, using the fast-flowing water as a source of power to operate numerous mills.

1870 - First Baptist Church is established on the Bedford Commons before moving to its present location in 1968 at the corner of Turney Road and West Glendale Avenue.

1890s - Bedford becomes a train isthmus for the railroad network. In 1889, the Bedford Depot for passengers awaiting trains.

1905 - A new Bedford Central High School is opened (Now part of Central Primary School, it is one of the oldest continuously operating school buildings in the area)

1915 - The Village of Maple Heights splits from Bedford Township, In 1932 Maple Heights Village achieves city status.

1921 - Saint Mary's Parish becomes Bedford's first Catholic Parish

1927 - The new Bedford Senior High School opens at the corner of Washington Street and Columbus Roads to accommodate a growing student body. This would later be known as "Moody High School", then later "Moody Junior High School". It was demolished in the 1990s, the Beford Public Library now occupies the site. It borders Tarbell Avenue, one of the oldest brick-paved streets in Ohio.

1928 - The Vincentian Sisters of Charity open their convent. Bedford Hospital established.

Full article ▸

related documents
Gervais, Oregon
Cortland, Ohio
Nooksack, Washington
Bunker, Missouri
Jewell, Kansas
Plainville, Georgia
Red Bank, Tennessee
Albany, Texas
Traer, Iowa
Beulah, North Dakota
Campbellsville, Kentucky
Wynne, Arkansas
Gallaway, Tennessee
Mill City, Oregon
Sour Lake, Texas
Rivergrove, Oregon
Zillah, Washington
Ridgetop, Tennessee
Comanche, Texas
Roosevelt, Minnesota
Taneytown, Maryland
Andersonville, Georgia
Snyder, Texas
Point Comfort, Texas
Smithers, West Virginia
Ritzville, Washington
West Lake Hills, Texas
La Joya, Texas
Brown City, Michigan
George West, Texas